PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any information on Matt Ryan's Pro Day?

IndyColtScout
03-18-2008, 04:09 PM
I know there is a pro day thread, but this information deserves its own thread because this specific pro day could change the entire draft.

Personally, I haven't heard anything yet. I will guess Ryan did good though. Whenever these top QB's setup their own pro day where they are comfortable in their own surroundings, most put up great pro days. Hell, Alex Smith's pro day vaulted him from mid round-late top 10 prospect to #1 pick. Matt Ryan is in the exact same situation, and thing same outcome could happen.

So please, anyone, help me with this info. I've searched and found nothing.

Thunder&Lightning
03-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Just saw a segment on NFL Live on ESPN about Ryans pro day. Mike Mayock reported that he graded his Pro Day on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best an 8. He also said that Ryan ran a 53 pass drill and hit everyone of his receivers while demonstrating great arm strength nothing like Jmarcs but very good. Mayock believes that Ryan is a complete QB that has the elite status and can be a franchise QB.

IndyColtScout
03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
thank you sir

kmartin575
03-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Some comments by Herm Edwards about Ryan's performance at his pro day:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/herm_on_matt_ry.html

And another short note about the people in attendance at the pro day:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/pro_day_feel.html

Wonder if the Chiefs are REALLY that interested in Ryan or if it is just a smokescreen. I'm sure they are also looking at Cherilus.

toonsterwu
03-18-2008, 04:18 PM
There's a blurb over on PFT right now about how the Chiefs sent Peterson, Edwards, Gailey and Co. I think that's the Ryan sleeper that everyone keeps forgetting about. Granted, Miami/Atlanta/Baltimore are more likely, but depend on how things go, it wouldn't stun me if the Chiefs surprised. That said, darkhorse.

eazyb81
03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Mort reported that KC had the largest contingent there, as Carl Peterson, Herm Edwards, Chan Gailey (the new OC), and the QB coach all were in attendance.

Flyboy
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
The Saints sent Pete Carmichael, Jr. (our QB coach) to his Pro Day too...

regoob2
03-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Just saw a segment on NFL Live on ESPN about Ryans pro day. Mike Mayock reported that he graded his Pro Day on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best an 8. He also said that Ryan ran a 53 pass drill and hit everyone of his receivers while demonstrating great arm strength nothing like Jmarcs but very good. Mayock believes that Ryan is a complete QB that has the elite status and can be a franchise QB.
It wasnt Mayock it was Todd McShay. So............yeah.

Matthew Jones
03-18-2008, 05:52 PM
On ESPN they said he completed 48/52, overthrew one and the other three incompletes were drops. They said he did a really good job and could go #1 overall to Miami.

marks01234
03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
On ESPN they said he completed 48/52, overthrew one and the other three incompletes were drops. They said he did a really good job and could go #1 overall to Miami.

I have no idea how Ryan did but espn would rate it an amazing performance even if he didn't complete as a pass.

bam bam
03-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Mort reported that KC had the largest contingent there, as Carl Peterson, Herm Edwards, Chan Gailey (the new OC), and the QB coach all were in attendance.

I think thats because it was also Cherilus's pro day too, right?

megansett56BC
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I think thats because it was also Cherilus's pro day too, right?

that's what i thought at first too, but considering cherilus isn't worth the number 5 overall pick. there's always the chance to grab him in the 2nd if he slides, but I don't know if you would send your major offensive coaches to look at a tackle that might potentially be available in the second.

thus, i think they're just evaluating Ryan further to see if he's a prospect they can't pass up on. I don't know if they're necessarily a sleeper to pick him now considering how great their other needs are, but I won't be surprised if they do either.

03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Mayock said he did well enough to assure himself a basic lock for the top 8.

Scott Wright
03-18-2008, 08:39 PM
I wrote about it with a couple of good links in my blog today too.

T-RICH49
03-18-2008, 09:16 PM
There's a blurb over on PFT right now about how the Chiefs sent Peterson, Edwards, Gailey and Co. I think that's the Ryan sleeper that everyone keeps forgetting about. Granted, Miami/Atlanta/Baltimore are more likely, but depend on how things go, it wouldn't stun me if the Chiefs surprised. That said, darkhorse.

Yeah I read that today as well.Maybe KC finally is saying they either a) don't believe Croyle is good or b) don't think Croyle wilkl ever stay on the field for an entire year.If KC takes Ryan that says all there needs to about their faith in Croyle

eazyb81
03-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah I read that today as well.Maybe KC finally is saying they either a) don't believe Croyle is good or b) don't think Croyle wilkl ever stay on the field for an entire year.If KC takes Ryan that says all there needs to about their faith in Croyle

Actually I think it just means that KC is prepared to stick to their board this year. They may still have faith that Croyle can be a starting QB in this league, but at the same time they're not going to pass on a potential franchise QB if he's there at #5 and he's the highest-rated player on their board.

This whole discussion is moot if Atlanta takes him at #3, but KC is just doing being prepared if they happen to pass on him.

tjjohnson98
03-19-2008, 12:51 PM
As one of my buddies says, Herm Edwards is the Captain Jack Sparrow of the NFL... if he says something, you can assume the opposite is true. I would put money on the fact that this was a trip to watch Cherilus, spread some misinformation, and scare up a market to trade down a few picks in case Jake Long is not available. The Chiefs will not take Matt Ryan, I can almost guarantee it.

Addict
03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
As one of my buddies says, Herm Edwards is the Captain Jack Sparrow of the NFLn... if he says something, you can assume the opposite is true. I would put money on the fact that this was a trip to watch Cherilus, spread some misinformation, and scare up a market to trade down a few picks in case Jake Long is not available. The Chiefs will not take Matt Ryan, I can almost guarantee it.

are you telling me Herm Edwards drinks rum and says "savvy"?

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Well, I would note that some people took Herm's comments on Matt Ryan to be a negative. So ... um ... you sure you want to stick to that analogy?

I think ESPN's Hashmarks had a nice comment on his pro day.

kmartin575
03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Well, I would note that some people took Herm's comments on Matt Ryan to be a negative. So ... um ... you sure you want to stick to that analogy?

I think ESPN's Hashmarks had a nice comment on his pro day.

I don't think they were a negative. He said the guy pressed a little bit but then went back and said he still made some good throws and commented on Ryan's ability to win.

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I actually agree with you, but this morning, and last night, when I was going through how people perceived the comments, there were a couple sites that seemed to think that those comments were a negative, or at the very least, not positive.

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 03:19 PM
The one refrain that I do find interesting, though, about Ryan's pro day, is how almost every comment suggested his big arm, or a variation of that idea. After months of questioning his arm strength by message board folks, that does put things into some context. Although the fact that his spirals weren't tight is a bit disconcerting, but well, that does happen to some.

This quote from Rick Spielman goes with what I think the most positive attribute about Ryan is, his ability to see the different planes of the field.

"He moves around better than people think," Spielman told a small gathering of reporters. "And I think his arm strength is plenty good enough. And I like where he places the ball. He's what you call an anticipatory thrower. He has a good sense for where to put it.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/03/18/ryan.proday/index.html

not that we didn't know it already, but ouch for the BC "skill" guys

"Those Boston College receivers that he was throwing to, there's not a lot of talent there,

Page 2 of the same article

FA1
03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
What I find rather amusing is that every time I see a "highlight" of the passing session of his pro day, I see an already slow receiver having to slow down even more to field a deep pass and the same receiver having to go down to catch what looks like a simple wheel route at about knee level. This is all against no defenders. You would think they would put better passes on a highlight reel, wouldn't you?

Every time I see Ryan throw, his deep ball floats and doesn't get very good distance and his intermediate passes don't have much zip. Yet, he's considered a strong-armed QB...

Don Vito
03-19-2008, 03:35 PM
The one refrain that I do find interesting, though, about Ryan's pro day, is how almost every comment suggested his big arm, or a variation of that idea. After months of questioning his arm strength by message board folks, that does put things into some context. Although the fact that his spirals weren't tight is a bit disconcerting, but well, that does happen to some.

This quote from Rick Spielman goes with what I think the most positive attribute about Ryan is, his ability to see the different planes of the field.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/03/18/ryan.proday/index.html

not that we didn't know it already, but ouch for the BC "skill" guys

Page 2 of the same article

Ryan didn't have many talented seniors to throw to, but he had some talented guys who will be back next year like WRs Brandon Robinson and Rich Gunnell and TE Ryan Purvis. Andre Callender is a very underrated player who was a great receiver out of the backfield and he should get a chance in the NFL, he may get drafted.

vidae
03-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe Croyle has what it takes to be a good NFL QB, but it doesn't matter what I think.

What will be interesting is if Jake Long and Matt Ryan are both available at 5. Is it likely? Probably not, but it could happen. I wonder what the Chiefs would do in that situation if they honestly feel Ryan could be a franchise QB?

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
My guess on Callender right now would be UDFA. There's too many backs bunched together in that range. Possible 7th, I guess, as you never know. As it stands now, Robinson and Gunnell are probably late round bets. Purvis, on the other hand, is quite intriguing, and if he can run in the 4.7's, he could be the top TE next year.

On a side note, I find the dynamics of the news surrounding the Dolphins pick to be quite intriguing. There's a very public hard sell of Chris Long, which seems odd, consideriing Parcells isn't exactly an open type. It could very well be people putting two and two together, as many people on message boards have. There's a sell on Matt Ryan as well with their small actions. There's talk of Sparano wanting Jake Long, but he doesn't have personnel say, and Parcells drafting OL in round 1, at that high of a spot, seems quite unlikely. A lot of interesting dynamics at play, meant to muddy things up a bit.

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I believe Croyle has what it takes to be a good NFL QB, but it doesn't matter what I think.

What will be interesting is if Jake Long and Matt Ryan are both available at 5. Is it likely? Probably not, but it could happen. I wonder what the Chiefs would do in that situation if they honestly feel Ryan could be a franchise QB?

My guess is that if they felt Ryan was a franchise QB, then they'd take him, as franchise QB's don't come along too often, and considering the early 2nd should allow them to net a OL talent.

d34ng3l021
03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
How into Matt Ryan do you guys think the Ravens are?

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I think the Ravens would definitely snap him up at 8 if he was there. The talk about CB focuses on the need for a nickel guy that could perhaps challenge Samari Rolle. Certainly, a key focus, but not one that necessarily demands first round attention. The other thoughts might be OL or DL, but with Pryce coming back, DL can probably wait and there's good fits/values in the midrounds, and while OL is a thought, they have spent a lot of assets there in recent years and there were some positive commentaries about Jared Gaither.

The question is, would they deal up for Matt Ryan? Much of it comes down to how far he falls. If he gets close enough, I think so (that is, he has to escape the top 3 definitely). Whether or not they'd gamble up to 4, and whether or not Oakland would agree to deal down, both are hard to figure at this stage of the process.

Finsfan79
03-21-2008, 08:04 AM
My guess on Callender right now would be UDFA. There's too many backs bunched together in that range. Possible 7th, I guess, as you never know. As it stands now, Robinson and Gunnell are probably late round bets. Purvis, on the other hand, is quite intriguing, and if he can run in the 4.7's, he could be the top TE next year.

On a side note, I find the dynamics of the news surrounding the Dolphins pick to be quite intriguing. There's a very public hard sell of Chris Long, which seems odd, consideriing Parcells isn't exactly an open type. It could very well be people putting two and two together, as many people on message boards have. There's a sell on Matt Ryan as well with their small actions. There's talk of Sparano wanting Jake Long, but he doesn't have personnel say, and Parcells drafting OL in round 1, at that high of a spot, seems quite unlikely. A lot of interesting dynamics at play, meant to muddy things up a bit.

The public hard sell on Chris long though is coming from ESPN and other news outlets not the dolphins themselves. Which makes it all more interesting. Of course he is a good name to put out there. The good old white boy, son of a HoF and TV personality that the american people can be used to sell their draft broadcast. Then there is Matt Ryan a Boston College QB with 0 talent around him that ran a pro style offense and had a new coach last year but still put up pretty solid numbers 31/19 (td/int ratio). Alot of QB's had poor INT ratios their senior years when they had down years or bad talent around them. Heck look at Dan Marino's senior year at Pitt.

That said I dont think Ryan is a marino or close to it, and I dont think he is a brady at all that "just wins".

I think Jake long is the best and safest pick. It is the biggest need of the team (besides QB) and is a player, one of the few in the draft) that is actually worthy of being a top 5 pick in almost any draft.

Last years draft he would of went before Levi Brown whom went number 6 for instance. Is there another player in this whole draft that honestly someone would say would of went top 5? I dont see one at all

toonsterwu
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
If Glenn Dorsey's medicals check out, I think he definitely would've gone top 5 last year as well (I think, specifically, Tampa Bay would've considered him over Gaines Adams). I think Chris Long/Vernon Gholston grade fairly close to Gaines Adams as well (actually, I think Derrick Harvey grades closely as well).