PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign Brandon Chillar

Nitschke-Hawk
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't know if this is thread worthy but anyway:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/03/19/chillar-takes-packers-offer.aspx

ny10804
03-19-2008, 01:51 PM
This improves our starting spot at SSLB (by creating a battle between Chillar and Poppinga) and gives us another special teams ace (the one who loses that battle). I'd venture to guess we'll see Brady back on special teams, where he is an excellent player.

Good signing.

Nitschke-Hawk
03-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, they'll both play some special teams cause they both play SAM, but yeah I like it. Our depth at LB just shot up big time. I think Poppinga will still get time. He's a good pass rusher, good attacker. He'll find a way to get on the field.

PackerLegend
03-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I read this yesterday on rotoworld

As expected, the Packers and Giants have dropped out of the race for free agent LB Brandon Chillar.

The Rams and Cardinals are left to bid for his services. Chillar favors playing in the desert, but Arizona remains hamstrung with Larry Fitzgerald's contract still unsigned. St. Louis' chances of retaining Chillar are growing.

So I kind of lost some hope but what do you know he will sign with GB, but with the way things are going its probably false.

nfrillman
03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I have always thought Chillar was underrated by Rams fans. Personally I feel he is better than Tinoisamoa, but he isn't spectacular either. You should probably just expect fairly solid LB play from him

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Steady SAM backer option opens up a lot more doors in the draft for the Packers in the first 2 rounds. Outside of adding a CB, there isn't really a pressing need, consideirng Poppinga can be used as a pass rusher. That said, they'll probably look DE (perhaps revisit those Jason Taylor rumors?) This affords them the option of going RB if they find a playmaker they like, or adding another TE. They could look Safety or more OL as well. Actually, this probably increases the chances of OL early again, as they have to start preparing for post-Tauscher/Clifton.

moose
03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
SHOCKED!!!!! gee i hope the texans get nate barnett now.

roidrunner
03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
nate barnett???? you mean Nick Barnett?

umphrey
03-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah they'll give him a big contract in 8 years when we cut him and he's 35 or something.

neko4
03-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Steady SAM backer option opens up a lot more doors in the draft for the Packers in the first 2 rounds. Outside of adding a CB, there isn't really a pressing need, consideirng Poppinga can be used as a pass rusher. That said, they'll probably look DE (perhaps revisit those Jason Taylor rumors?) This affords them the option of going RB if they find a playmaker they like, or adding another TE. They could look Safety or more OL as well. Actually, this probably increases the chances of OL early again, as they have to start preparing for post-Tauscher/Clifton.

Yeah i believe this year, both will be 30+. But i have faith in Barbe, that he'll make a good lineman

moose
03-19-2008, 05:59 PM
nate barnett???? you mean Nick Barnett?

thanks a million...to me its a great feeling to get corrected i welcome constructive criticism.

KCJ58
03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm gonna miss him :( hope he does well in Green Bay

fenikz
03-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I read this yesterday on rotoworld

As expected, the Packers and Giants have dropped out of the race for free agent LB Brandon Chillar.

The Rams and Cardinals are left to bid for his services. Chillar favors playing in the desert, but Arizona remains hamstrung with Larry Fitzgerald's contract still unsigned. St. Louis' chances of retaining Chillar are growing.

So I kind of lost some hope but what do you know he will sign with GB, but with the way things are going its probably false.

Fitzgerald's contract has been extended for about a week now definitely not the reason we didn't go after him, I just think that GB offered him more money and a opportunity to start, while in AZ he would of had to out play Hayes, Dansby & Biesel to get playing time

Nitschke-Hawk
03-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Yeah that's what I like most about it is draft flexibility. I've been thinking for a while if Campbell or Merling were there at 30 that has good chance of being the pick. So many CB's will be taken in the first two rounds so I'm starting to think that will happen with one of our 2nd rounders unless Mike Jenkins or Talib fall to us at 30 (they fit the scheme best).

GB12
03-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Fitzgerald's contract has been extended for about a week now definitely not the reason we didn't go after him, I just think that GB offered him more money and a opportunity to start, while in AZ he would of had to out play Hayes, Dansby & Biesel to get playing time
I doubt it. Just because we have the room doesn't mean we offered him more. Playing time was probably an issue, but he wouldn't have to beat out all three of them, just one. Actually he'd probably have a better chance to start in Arizona with two spots up for grabs where in Green Bay Poppinga's the only one he has a chance to compete with. We should find out more tomorrow, but I don't think it was because we offered more money. We wouldn't overpay to get him. The coaching staff has said that they are comfortable with Poppinga and we're working on an extention. I love this signing and think it will be great for competion and I kind of think Chillar will win, but it's not like we really needed to get a LB so we overpayed.

PACKmanN
03-19-2008, 07:57 PM
I like the deal. Should help the left side on coverage plays. Just a heads up

According to the game-charting project of footballoutsiders.com, AJ Hawk was the most effective coverage linebacker in the entire NFL last season. In their words, following week 13, "For those curious, out of the few linebackers with lots of pass targets, the clear standout is A.J. Hawk, with a Success Rate of 69 percent."

freebirdsrams02
03-20-2008, 12:31 AM
I was hoping the Rams would resign him. I thought he did a great job for us the past few years.

Nitschke-Hawk
03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
I like the deal. Should help the left side on coverage plays. Just a heads up

According to the game-charting project of footballoutsiders.com, AJ Hawk was the most effective coverage linebacker in the entire NFL last season. In their words, following week 13, "For those curious, out of the few linebackers with lots of pass targets, the clear standout is A.J. Hawk, with a Success Rate of 69 percent."

Woo! finally some proof of that... I'd been saying it since mid season the guy was a shutdown LB if I ever seen one, nobody throws at him anymore. He's on the field all the time too that may be why they say he had been throw at a lot but I really don't think he was.

roidrunner
03-20-2008, 01:46 PM
AJ Hawks pimp hand is way strong

fenikz
03-20-2008, 02:14 PM
I doubt it. Just because we have the room doesn't mean we offered him more. Playing time was probably an issue, but he wouldn't have to beat out all three of them, just one. Actually he'd probably have a better chance to start in Arizona with two spots up for grabs where in Green Bay Poppinga's the only one he has a chance to compete with. We should find out more tomorrow, but I don't think it was because we offered more money. We wouldn't overpay to get him. The coaching staff has said that they are comfortable with Poppinga and we're working on an extention. I love this signing and think it will be great for competion and I kind of think Chillar will win, but it's not like we really needed to get a LB so we overpayed.

he would of been our 4th ILB , definitively would of had to beat out all 3 if he wanted to start, could of been a rotational guy gave Hayes a few plays off here and there, I definitively think it came down to playing time and money because he loves the desert

Addict
03-20-2008, 02:56 PM
thanks a million...to me its a great feeling to get corrected i welcome constructive criticism.

http://purplehornet.com/blogger/images/sarcasm.jpg

(no offense roidrunner, I found this pic four days ago and have been waiting for an oppertunity to post it)

roidrunner
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
none taken i found it funny

Addict
03-20-2008, 04:11 PM
none taken i found it funny

I'm like Rocco from Boondock Saints, not much knowledge, I'm just the funny man... I wish I had hair like his though.

DraftKidWonder
03-20-2008, 05:30 PM
A.J. Hawks pimp hand is strong, thanks for noticing. Thank the lord we got a half-way decent LB. Now everyone can stop saying we'll take one early.
Needs:

1. CB

2. Pass Rushing End

3. Zone-Blocking OT/OG

Addict
03-20-2008, 05:31 PM
A.J. Hawks pimp hand is strong, thanks for noticing. Thank the lord we got a half-way decent LB. Now everyone can stop saying we'll take one early.
Needs:

1. CB

2. Pass Rushing End

3. Zone-Blocking OT/OG

Pack is looking really solid now...

roidrunner
03-20-2008, 05:32 PM
yea i could not agree more. TT is doing a great job at stocking this team.

Addict
03-20-2008, 05:34 PM
yea i could not agree more. TT is doing a great job at stocking this team.

now it's time to start hoping Aaron Rodgers is as good as they said way back when.

roidrunner
03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
the offense we have fits ARod better than it did Favre. so here is to hoping. but i think he will do fine. the draft will tell us alot about what the packers think of him.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Needs:

1. CB

2. Pass Rushing End

3. Zone-Blocking OT/OG
Until Brandon Jackson establishes himself as an NFL back and Grant proves that he's not a one-year wonder, runningback is at least a position of interest, if not a need.

They could certainly use a backup TE as well.

roidrunner
03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
we will take a RB and QB this draft for sure.