PDA

View Full Version : What was your best calls in the draft?

DraftKidWonder
03-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Its always fun when you know a player will be good even though he has doubts and every one is putting him down. An example of some of mine in my three years of mock drafting:

1. Frank Gore: I knew he would succeed if he ever had a chance in San Fran if Barlow wasn't there. Coinedidentaly I had the right call and the right team

2. Maurice Jones-Drew: In my mock I called him a poor mans Reggie Bush. Seems like the other way around now.

3. Demeco Ryans: Out of college he just had "it" linebacker wise. He's a star now.

Those are just a few but I want to hear your alls best "I called it" picks from your mock draft.

bored of education
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Derrick Johnson being GODLY. I knew Donte Whitner was going to Buffalo.

Michigan
03-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Joking to my friend that we (the Lions) would take Mike Williams at #10 in 2005.

I don't joke about the draft anymore.

Sniper
03-19-2008, 05:44 PM
1. DeMeco Ryans being a stud
2. Braylon Edwards being a TD machine
3. Marcus Spears not being good
4. J.J Arrington being terrible
5. Bob Sanders being a mantank

MetSox17
03-19-2008, 05:50 PM
In the Ware/Merriman draft, i was kinda upset that
we didn't go with Merriman. I felt like he was gonna be beastly, and
he is. Ware is an All-Pro in his own right, but "Lights Out" had 17 sacks
in 12 games as a 2nd year player. That's just insane.

I felt the Jacob Rogers and Stephen Peterman picks were wasted when
they picked, and that turned out right.

It may have seemed obvious but this past year i saw the Cle/Dal Trade
as soon as Miami passed on him.

BeerBaron
03-19-2008, 06:52 PM
i had a friend who at one point said that the vikings would take troy williamson even if mike williams was still on the board. we all thought he was nuts but by god...it happened.

neither really worked out but hey, he was right.

personally, my best call was probably tommie harris to the bears and him being good. i caught a lot of flak from that one because a lot of people thought stephen jackson was going to them and also that harris was too undersized and not good......

i got that one right at least

reigle9
03-19-2008, 07:00 PM
2. Braylon Edwards being a TD machine
3. Marcus Spears not being good
5. Bob Sanders being a mantank

2. Braylon Edwards being a TD machine - Might've been homer, did you say the same thing about Terrell?
3. Marcus Spears not being good - Did you really do that? That's impressive, I thought he was going be be an All-Pro
5. Bob Sanders being a mantank - Still pissed he was too small for Joe

I've had countless ones. But I've been following this stuff for 15 years, kind of figure out how it goes. In no order......
1. Knowing David Carr was garage
2. Knowing Alex Smith was garbage
3. A year from now, knowing Aaron Rodgers will be a star
4. Roethlisberger winning a SB
5. LJ dropping so far was insane (he's still the #3 RB in the NFL)
6. Making fun of sniper for saying Justin King is a 3rd-4th round pick months ago
7. Not a draft thing, but Trent Edwards will be a top 10 QB this year

I could go on forever......

stephenson86
03-19-2008, 07:03 PM
i said the titans would take lenwhale

vidae
03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Derrick Johnson being GODLY.

I thought the same thing. I was really happy Merriman went before him on draft day.. might not have been the best thing TODAY because Merriman is a gd beast, but I'm still very happy with DJs production.. and he's only going to get better.

GB12
03-19-2008, 07:30 PM
2. Braylon Edwards being a TD machine - Might've been homer, did you say the same thing about Terrell?
3. Marcus Spears not being good - Did you really do that? That's impressive, I thought he was going be be an All-Pro

I've had countless ones. But I've been following this stuff for 15 years, kind of figure out how it goes. In no order......
6. Making fun of sniper for saying Justin King is a 3rd-4th round pick months ago

If David Carr was a garage he wouldn't get sacked half as much as he does.

MetSox17
03-19-2008, 07:52 PM

I'm gonna have to disagree with those two i put in bold.
David Carr was a great athlete, and showed huge progression
as the years went on, but the geniuses running the Texans organization
never got a team around him. He got killed time and time again
and you can't really put a lot of those on him, he had a High School-esque
offensive line all of his career there.
He can blame his long list of current injuries on that and no one would
disagree.

As for Trent Edwards being a top 10 qb THIS year..
that's a huge stretch at best.
6 qb's go to the Pro Bowl.. are you saying that
he's gonna be JUST short of being a Pro-Bowler?
Brady, Peyton, Eli, Palmer, Roethlisberger, Romo, Hasselbeck,
Anderson, Rivers, Cutler, Garrard, Garcia, Brees, Bulger, McNabb.

All head and shoulders better.

MaxV
03-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Here are some of mine:

- Shaun Rogers was one of my favorite prospects. I know he has some motivation and weight issues, but there is no question that he was a steal in the 2nd round.

- When I first joined NFLDC, I had a friendly argument with a poster by the name of Toonsterwu (perhaps you guys know him) regarding 49ers QB Alex Smith. I felt that he was a MAJOR reach at 1st overall and that 9ers were very unlucky that several top juniors (Matt Leinart, D'Brickashaw Ferguson) decided to stay in school. Perhaps Smith can still salvage his career, but it doesn't look very good right now.

- Before the 2006 draft, I have had arguments with several of NFLDC posters regarding the importance of height for a RB. I have always felt that height is NOT an advantage for a RB and was very high on Maurice Jones-Drew. I had him rated ahead of Maroney. A lot of posters on this site felt he's the next Darren Sproles, something I didn't understand.

- I always felt that Joey Harrington was a bit overhyped. But perhaps I shouldn't take credit for this one, because I did think he would be a solid NFL QB.

- Colts' fans on this board will confirm this, I felt that Colts' DT Ed Johnson was a good prospect. When news of his signing broke out, I was excited and wanted him to make the roster. With that said, I am a bit surprised that he's a successful NT, I always felt that he would be more of a UT.

There might some others I am forgetting.

AkiliSmith
03-19-2008, 08:10 PM
I was a huge Justin Tuck fan, and really wanted the Bengals to take him in the 2nd round

FA1
03-19-2008, 08:26 PM
I was a huge Justin Tuck fan, and really wanted the Bengals to take him in the 2nd round

Did you also predict you'd go #3 overall and be a total bust? I keeeeeed

iloxygenil
03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Joking to my friend that we (the Lions) would take Mike Williams at #10 in 2005.

I don't joke about the draft anymore.

HAHA...that's incredible

iloxygenil
03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh my biggest hits have been:

Cromartie - I was begging the Falcons to pick him with the pick we traded to get John Abraham
Dockett - Stud
Reggie Bush - that's right I said he wasn't what everyone was proclaiming him to be...didn't hurt my feelings at all to see the Saints draft him, he doesn't scare me 1 bit as a RB that is.

BaLLiN
03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Steve Smith- WR USC im pretty sure alot of people felt he would be great, he is alright right now, but if you watch him in his post season play, you see spurts of greatness...

I did call the Ross/Smith first two picks for the giants though...

bspen4
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I said Dwyane Bowe was going to be close to 1000 yards last year

KCJ58
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Jimmy Kennedy being a bust

jetsfan0099
03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Cromartie I thought was going to be a monster in the NFL.

Darrelle Revis I thought would become a #1 CB and be a beast, so far he is.

Nick Mangold I thought was a safe pick and would be a pro bowl center, he is on his way to being one.

Jay Cutler would be a Franchise QB

Tom Brady would be a franchise QB that would win SB

KCJ58
03-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Tom Brady would be a franchise QB that would win SB

no 1 thought that except Tom Brady

reigle9
03-19-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with those two i put in bold.
David Carr was a great athlete, and showed huge progression
as the years went on, but the geniuses running the Texans organization

I stopped reading right here. He was #1 pick and is now a back-up. There is no spinning that.

Fox news would even say... "Come on"

Sniper
03-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Braylon- Considering he is the owner of the Big 10 career record for most receiving TDs, I don't see how I'm being a homer. No I didn't say the same thing about Terrell.
Spears- I thought Spears would be a better fit in a 4-3, and once he got drafted into a 3-4, I didn't like it.
Sanders- Paterno's recruiting has slipped several notches lately, but clearly a lot of teams thought Sanders was too small if he ended up at Iowa.
King- Eat a cheesburger, Justin. He's listed at 185 but looks 170. With his frame, he could bulk up to 200 and still be a 4.3 guy.

JT Jag
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
During the 2006 draft, I predicted that the Jags would draft both Marcedes and Maurice.

reigle9
03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Braylon- Considering he is the owner of the Big 10 career record for most receiving TDs, I don't see how I'm being a homer. No I didn't say the same thing about Terrell.
Spears- I thought Spears would be a better fit in a 4-3, and once he got drafted into a 3-4, I didn't like it.
Sanders- Paterno's recruiting has slipped several notches lately, but clearly a lot of teams thought Sanders was too small if he ended up at Iowa.
King- Eat a cheesburger, Justin. He's listed at 185 but looks 170. With his frame, he could bulk up to 200 and still be a 4.3 guy.

Christ man, you can't even take a compliment without being an ass. You don't have to defend Braylon, I was asking. He is big time.

Like I said, good call on Spears. He's still starter good though, not nearly what he was supposed to be.

King - Your back handed compliments are ridiculous, just stop.

skinzzfan25
03-19-2008, 10:13 PM
I wanted DeMeco Ryans so bad, and I think the Redskins did also. The skins traded up into the second to get a LBer, so we ended up with Rocky McIntosh when the Texans took him two picks before.

MetSox17
03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
I stopped reading right here. He was #1 pick and is now a back-up. There is no spinning that.

Fox news would even say... "Come on"

are you sure you didnt "stop reading" because
the second prediction i highlighted was a complete joke?

fenikz
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Cromartie & Gore are two that I can recall

reigle9
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I loved Gore early in his career when the Cowboys still didn't have a RB. I wanted the Cowboys to draft him but then he got hurt. Gore is a top 10 back for the next five years.

art vandelay
03-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Some hits....Ahmad Bradshaw, Tanard Jackson, Justin Tuck

energizerbunny
03-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Texans wasted alot of picks early on, especialyl the years they had 2 picks in each round....

David Carr was a great pick, until everything around him fell apart... namely having Boselli and Ryan Young injuries... those 2 would have provided a very good tackle combo. Instead they put Carr out there to be a punching bag for his entire career.... and eventually he was too shell-shocked to ever amount to anything.

He is still one of the most physically gifted QBs i've seen comming out, even with the way his career has turned out you can' deny the type of prospect he was coming out.

But some picks I was pretty pisssed to say the least about.....

Benne Joppru in 2003 when Jason Witten fell out of the first, I was shocked when they made this selection and I though Joppru was a mid 3rd at best.

2005 when we passed up Alex Barron for Travis Johnson... A team that has been looking for a franchise LT for 3 years decides to pass on one to draft a 34 DE? didn't make sense at the time and probably doesn't make sence now either.

The 1st 3 drafts were actually pretty horrible... Really all they have to show on the roster now is Pitts,Weary, Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson. With 30+ Draftpicks you'd think they'd hit on a couple more draftees then that

SimonRath
03-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I posted like 20 posts in the Falcons thread saying we should take Marques Colston...

i really wanted him to go to Atlanta :(

crazyisme
03-20-2008, 01:37 PM
1 good season a successful running back does not make....Gore is terrible

SimonRath
03-20-2008, 01:39 PM
1 good season a successful running back does not make....Gore is terrible

are you serious?..
Gore is a really good RB

crazyisme
03-20-2008, 01:41 PM
im not kidding, i dont really like gore at all, too injury prone and i just dont think hes that good, he had one good year, wasnt that great last year, im just not a believer

SimonRath
03-20-2008, 01:45 PM
well its not like hes been in the league for 10 years.
he was a back up when he first came in the league and hes really only been the #1 back for 2 years

fenikz
03-20-2008, 02:17 PM
im not kidding, i dont really like gore at all, too injury prone and i just dont think hes that good, he had one good year, wasnt that great last year, im just not a believer

The man is averaging 1135 yards rushing in his first 3 years, and this is behind one of the worst interior lines in the NFL with an unstable QB situation. Plus he is a great receiver out of the backfield.

AlexDown
03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
When the Texans and 49ers were playing each other at the end of 05, they were calling it the "Reggie Bush Bowl" and there were a LOT of 49er fans here that didn't show much faith in Gore.

thebow305
03-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Ted Ginn to the Dolphins last year. (Even with Brady Quinn on the board)

Called it MONTHS in advance.

thebow305
03-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Also, I knew Marcus McNeill would be a stud. He was a BIG reason, literally, for how successful Ronnie & Cadillac were at Auburn. I wanted the Phins to take him so bad in '06, but we took Jason Allen, and look what happened...

ironman4579
03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd say my one claim to fame was saying that Braylon Edwards would be a much better pro than Mike Williams, although I didn't think Williams would be as horrible as he's been. I did hype David Harris alot last year too, but he's only going into his second season, so I don't want to put too much into that just yet.

Redskins4Bowl26
03-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Reggie Nelson being a good safety.
Donte Whitner going in the top 10. I was laughing at ESPN analyst when they were freaking out and I knew it the whole time mauhahahha:rolleyes: .

Thats all i can really remember. I got a future draft pick prediction. Noel Devine goes in the first round despite character and size concerns!!! That's right, I was the first one to say it!:)

PossumBoy9
03-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I knew Marion Barber III was better than Cedric Benson.

Before the Rams ever drafted Damione Lewis, I knew he'd re-break his foot as a rookie.

akvikefan89
03-21-2008, 01:28 AM
Thinking Antonio Cromartie would be a stud was my best so far...

Aftermath
03-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Once Revis was gone, i had no doubt we would take Hall.

yourfavestoner
03-21-2008, 02:40 AM
I think Alex Smith was a huge reach at number one overall. Personally, I felt that Rogers was better than him, and that was largely due to Scott's opinion. Geo and I have both said numerous times that they would have been much better off drafting the best player of that draft (Braylon Edwards) and finding a quarterback later. Or even drafting Leinart or Cutler the year after.

Shiver and I were also driving the Mario Williams bandwagon before people started hopping on it. Williams was my favorite player in the entire draft and absolutely worthy of the number one pick. Truth be told, I made a bet with my good friend about six weeks before the draft that Williams would go number one overall. Firstly, people overlooked the fact that Kubiak was getting ready to switch the Texans from a 3-4 to a 4-3. They didn't have a single true defensive end on their roster either. It was the perfect storm: truly elite prospect, filled a huge need, and was at one of the most premium positions in all of football, defensive end.

Contrastly, I never liked Reggie Bush as a prospect. Truth be told, I haven't liked many of the Trojans as prospects. Lendale for his weight; Mike Williams for the same reason; Dwayne Jarrett for being a Mike Williams clone; Matt Leinart for his noodle arm. The true studs for those SC teams were the offensive and defensive lines. They were the ones that created the All Americans on that team. Back to Bush, though. I always felt that Reggie Bush was a great college runningback. However, as a pro, he would have been much better suited to becoming a full time wide receiver. If he would have played wide receiver, I truly feel he would have been the next Steve Smith (the Carolina one).

I am a true, true believer in the Best Player Available philosophy. If you are picking in the top ten of the draft, then there is a reason for that. If you're picking in the top ten, need should not be the reason you pick a player that is lower on your draft board. Not only are you getting a worse player, but you're allowing somebody else to get a better player at a better value. If the best player available is at a position you're stacked at, or if it's a QB and you already have a signal caller you feel comfortable with, then you need to trade down and recoup as much value for the pick as you possibly can.

That's it for now. I'm high.

Caddy
03-21-2008, 03:05 AM
I guess I always thought Barrett Ruud would be a good player in the pros. Luckily the Bucs were able to grab him at the top of the 2nd after I thought he would end up going to the Pats. Lucky for me, the Pats took Mankins.

Dam8610
03-21-2008, 03:29 AM
The only one I can think of right now is calling that Joseph Addai would be a starting caliber RB in the NFL. I'm sure I have more, but my brain refuses to work right now.

The Legend
03-21-2008, 03:56 AM
i said the Texans should have taken Karlos Dansby over Jason Babin to bad for them