PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Lofton LB Oklahoma

holt_bruce81
03-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Watching this guy play in the big 12 and watching him against Missouri in my opinion he is the best Linebacker in this draft.

Why do most scouting sites (this one included) have him as a 2nd round linebacker?

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Largely his lack of top shelf athleticism is hurting him, as most teams prefer looking for 3-down backers that high. I could still see him go late round 1, although 2 is more likely, and dropping to early 3rd wouldn't stun the world. That said, I think he'll make a fine linebacker as a 4-3 MIKE or a 3-4 ILB.

holt_bruce81
03-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Largely his lack of top shelf athleticism is hurting him, as most teams prefer looking for 3-down backers that high. I could still see him go late round 1, although 2 is more likely, and dropping to early 3rd wouldn't stun the world. That said, I think he'll make a fine linebacker as a 4-3 MIKE or a 3-4 ILB.

I kind of want the Rams to take him and move Witherspoon outside. So your saying he could fall to the early part of round 3? man, that would be a steal.

toonsterwu
03-19-2008, 08:47 PM
I think he'll go in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he somehow slipped. Put it this way ... Phillip Wheeler was downgraded a bit due to a perceived weak combine, and Wheeler put up better numbers than Lofton did combine wise.

etk
03-19-2008, 08:58 PM
-lack of height
-he can really only play one position well at his size, MLB/ILB
-closing speed is good but he's not a great overall athlete
-had a bad game against WVU that's still lingering...missed tackles, overpursuit, mispursuit, etc.

He was an impressive college player though, especially in Big 12 play for whatever reason.

I'd really like to see him cut down 10 lbs. and play WLB. That would be his best fit but only if he dropped a few and improved his athleticism.

TACKLE
03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Curtis Lofton = Jon Beason

Lofton and Beason are both about the same size (6'0 246/6'0 237) and have a similar compact build. There both tough, hard-hitting, instinctive LB's. Athletically they are nothing special (low 4.7's) but play much faster on the field and have great closing speed. Beason was more versatile but given the opportunity I think Lofton could play MLB/ILB/WLB and maybe SLB.

Lofton's production this year was off the charts and played his best in big games (15tkls vs. WVU, 9tkls 2tfl 1int vs. Mizzou in Big 12 Championship). Lofton is one of these guys everyone expects to succeed and be a tackling machine but few are willing to put him in the 1st round.

LonghornsLegend
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
I really dont think it matters where he goes he will be a stud, especially as a mike in the 4-3, for what he lacks in athleticism he certainly makes up for it with intincts, awareness, and physicality...He's all over the field, I really think he will be an impact guy, if he goes in the 2nd I believe he's a huge steal and one of my early picks for defensive player of the year if he gets in the right scheme.

fenikz
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Watching this guy play in the big 12 and watching him against Missouri in my opinion he is the best Linebacker in this draft.

Why do most scouting sites (this one included) have him as a 2nd round linebacker?

During the season I had him going as high as the Saints, he is going to be a steal for somebody, I think the LBs in this class are very underrated

Curtis Lofton = Jon Beason

I think that is a perfect comparison

BamaFalcon59
03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I think he compares to a thicker DeMeco Ryans. Not great timed speed but they both have a nose for the ball and can be considered undersized height wise.

BroadwayJoe10
03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Pretty much what everyone above has said; lack of elite athleticism, pretty short, closing speed isn't great etc.

I personally like him as a 34 ILB, he reminds me of a david harris coming out of college. Both weren't super athletes, but have goot instincts, can shed blockers well and just are good football players.

If the pats go CB or say gholston in the first round, i would think that lofton would be a very good fit for them in the 2nd round. Getting gholston for them would allow vrabel to play ILB next to brushchi; both of who would be great for lofton to learn from.

FA1
03-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Pretty much what everyone above has said; lack of elite athleticism, pretty short, closing speed isn't great etc.

I personally like him as a 34 ILB, he reminds me of a david harris coming out of college. Both weren't super athletes, but have goot instincts, can shed blockers well and just are good football players.

If the pats go CB or say gholston in the first round, i would think that lofton would be a very good fit for them in the 2nd round. Getting gholston for them would allow vrabel to play ILB next to brushchi; both of who would be great for lofton to learn from.

David Harris actually shocked a lot of people with how athletic he proved to be. Not great, but much better than everybody expected, highlighted by a sub 4.6 at 243 lbs. Better than Lofton's numbers across the board.

no love
03-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I love him as a strong side ILB in the 3-4. He's got ideal height, weight, and his abilities will translate to that position. His workout numbers suggest a 2 down lber, but in the 3-4 you can mask his coverage deficiencies better.

Billingsley26
03-20-2008, 01:10 AM
I have him pegged as a 3-4 ILB. Im not as high on him as others are. ETK, prettymuch said it all with his weaknesses.
-Height
-Athleticism
-Basically what etk said.

To be honest, I would rather take J Leman over Curtis Lofton. Leman is bigger, and is about the same as far as athleticism goes. I like Leman more, and his attributes. Like I said, not realy high Lofton, although I mainly see him as a 3-4 ILB. He would probably struggle in the 4-3, wherever he played.

ThePudge
03-20-2008, 01:15 AM
I think he'll go in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if he somehow slipped. Put it this way ... Phillip Wheeler was downgraded a bit due to a perceived weak combine, and Wheeler put up better numbers than Lofton did combine wise.

You have to, of couse, take into consideration that Wheeler had higher expectations at the Combine. Wheeler was projected to run anywhere from 4.55 to 4.65, showing his great speed and athleticism, yet he didn't. Lofton wasn't billed as an athlete, he did fine for himself. Lofton's calling card was never his speed or atleticism, but rather his excellent instincts. I'd have to agree though, that Lofton will probably not go any higher than the Early-Mid 2nd Round, with a very real possibility of slipping.

Mr. Stiller
03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
I love him as a strong side ILB in the 3-4. He's got ideal height, weight, and his abilities will translate to that position. His workout numbers suggest a 2 down lber, but in the 3-4 you can mask his coverage deficiencies better.

Agreed. If Brandon Albert isn't there it's between him and Groves for me and I'm leaning him.

FA1
03-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Agreed. If Brandon Albert isn't there it's between him and Groves for me and I'm leaning him.

I don't get this whole Groves thing you put out there. OLB is a strong position for Pit... In fact, you could argue that it's their strongest position.

TACKLE
03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Here's a highlight video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X_x4WvWEJO4 (4:13)

etk
03-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I have him pegged as a 3-4 ILB. Im not as high on him as others are. ETK, prettymuch said it all with his weaknesses.
-Height
-Athleticism
-Basically what etk said.

To be honest, I would rather take J Leman over Curtis Lofton. Leman is bigger, and is about the same as far as athleticism goes. I like Leman more, and his attributes. Like I said, not realy high Lofton, although I mainly see him as a 3-4 ILB. He would probably struggle in the 4-3, wherever he played.

I know you don't normally compare prospects to other prospects in the same year, but Lofton and Leman do have a lot in common. I don't think Leman is bigger though, Lofton is almost 246, right? I have Lofton over Leman by a hair but they are very similar players, although Lofton is a better ILB and Leman is a better MLB or SLB.

Number 10
03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
I have been raving about him for awhile now. He and Rivers are in their own class in comparison with the rest of the LBs in this draft. This kid is going to be a STUD...a mix of Willis and Harris from last year's class.

Billingsley26
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I know you don't normally compare prospects to other prospects in the same year, but Lofton and Leman do have a lot in common. I don't think Leman is bigger though, Lofton is almost 246, right? I have Lofton over Leman by a hair but they are very similar players, although Lofton is a better ILB and Leman is a better MLB or SLB.

Well, Leman is about 6'2 245 so hes got a couple inches at most on Lofton, and is pretty close to Lofton in terms of weight. In a 4-3, I will agree with you on Leman vs Lofton, however, in the 3-4 I would prefer Leman as an ILB than Lofton. I think Leman has slightly better instincts and awareness, but Lofton isnt far behind.

terribletowel39
03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't get this whole Groves thing you put out there. OLB is a strong position for Pit... In fact, you could argue that it's their strongest position.
Because Woodley and Groves would be unstoppable off the edge. And Harrison has a real good build to take over for Farrior when he retires. We never give rooks a lot of playing time anyway so he would sit atleast a year behind Harrison. While I wish Timmons to take over for Farrior, in all likeliness it would look something like this in the next few years.
Groves-Timmons-Harrison-Woodley, which would give us a fantastic young LB corps. and plus behind Harrison and Woodley, who do we really have??

LonghornsLegend
03-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Groves-Timmons-Harrison-Woodley, which would give us a fantastic young LB corps. and plus behind Harrison and Woodley, who do we really have??

That would be a very exciting LB core to watch in Pittsburgh, I always get excited anytime they draft a lb no matter what round, they run a good scheme and do a great job of developing players into it properly...Groves will end up a stud if he lands in Baltimore or Pittsburgh, he fits in well with both.

PACKmanN
03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
so you guys would compare him to abdul hodge? thats not good.

SaintsMan
03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
He should be the first LB taken. Why someone would rank him as a second round pick, while a fast and dumb LB like Rivers gets a top 10 grade in beyond me.

themaninblack
03-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Here's a highlight video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X_x4WvWEJO4 (4:13)

love the music selection haha.

BamaFalcon59
03-20-2008, 11:03 PM
He should be the first LB taken. Why someone would rank him as a second round pick, while a fast and dumb LB like Rivers gets a top 10 grade in beyond me.

What makes Rivers a dumb player? And Keith Rivers, the linebacker from Southern Cal University, is also about 240 pounds and two inches taller than Curtis Lofton, so he is not just fast.

PossumBoy9
03-20-2008, 11:55 PM

Would you agree that Wheeler needed a better combine than Lofton? While he may not be a top shelf athlete at LB, I have no doubts most NFL teams know Lofton can absolutely play in the NFL at a high level.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2008, 01:06 AM

I don't see the comparison. Loften is a far superior athlete to Lemon who is a classic overachiever. The only thing holding back Loften from getting round 1 consideration is Oklahoma's poor track record for producing LB's. I believe a lot of pro teams are a bit wary of taking an Oklahoma LB.
Other than that, he only started a short time for Oklahoma having gone to junior college and that is also what is keeping him behind Connors.
Lemon will be a late round pick probably somewhere in the 5-7 range. Lofton will be no worse than a 2nd rounder.

Finsfan79
03-21-2008, 07:35 AM

He is a perfect fit for miami to help replace the loss of Zach Thomas if he can somehow be there in the middle of the 2nd round

SaintsMan
03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
What makes Rivers a dumb player? And Keith Rivers, the linebacker from Southern Cal University, is also about 240 pounds and two inches taller than Curtis Lofton, so he is not just fast.

I don't think he has the instincts to go with his athletic ability. Height isn't a big issue, especially just two inches for a LB'er.

etk
03-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Would you agree that Wheeler needed a better combine than Lofton? While he may not be a top shelf athlete at LB, I have no doubts most NFL teams know Lofton can absolutely play in the NFL at a high level.

Wheeler is a very explosive linebacker. I think packing on all that weight has huirt his athletic ability.

I don't see the comparison. Loften is a far superior athlete to Lemon who is a classic overachiever. The only thing holding back Loften from getting round 1 consideration is Oklahoma's poor track record for producing LB's. I believe a lot of pro teams are a bit wary of taking an Oklahoma LB.
Other than that, he only started a short time for Oklahoma having gone to junior college and that is also what is keeping him behind Connors.
Lemon will be a late round pick probably somewhere in the 5-7 range. Lofton will be no worse than a 2nd rounder.

Lofton is a far superior athlete? Where do you get that assumption from....his skin color? Lofton is very quick to close on ballcarriers but he doesn't have good straight-line speed and doesn't change directions all that well. Leman shares the same traits and has better instincts. This perception that Lofton is a fantastic athlete and Leman is too slow for the NFL is completely false. Lofton looks like a late 2nd/early 3rd guy and Leman is late 3rd/early 4th to me.

I don't think he has the instincts to go with his athletic ability. Height isn't a big issue, especially just two inches for a LB'er.

I agree, his mental game is weak but that doesn't make him dumb. I'd still draft him in the top 20 because of his talent and athletic ability.

Billingsley26
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Yea, exactly what etk said hold true. Where do you get that Lofton is a far superior athlete to Leman? I dont understand. Have you ever watched Leman play? This guy is an animal. If you want to see his athleticism and insticnts, watch the game against OSU. This guy was all over Tood Boeckmen and Chris Wells. This guys is such a natural football player. His instincts are probably at the top of this draft for LB's if not the best.