PDA

View Full Version : With The 2nd pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select...

KCJ58
03-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Who you got with the #2 pick

freebirdsrams02
03-20-2008, 12:30 AM
If he is there Chris Long

nfrillman
03-20-2008, 12:38 AM
I don't know if you can edit it, but the OT from Michigan is Jake Long.

KCJ58
03-20-2008, 01:13 AM
I don't know if you can edit it, but the OT from Michigan is Jake Long.

dam i feel stupid and no i can't edit it

NGSeiler
03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
If he's there, Chris Long. But I don't think he'll be there. If he's not, Vernon Gholston.

nfrillman
03-20-2008, 01:25 PM
If he's there, Chris Long. But I don't think he'll be there. If he's not, Vernon Gholston.

I would have to agree with that. IMO they basically have to take a DE at #2.

NFLBUDDAH1
03-21-2008, 05:13 AM
This is the Rams best chance in years. Last year Adam Carriker was a fantastic draft pick. Let's hope they can get it right twice in a row... I've been thinking about this for awhile and to me it boils down which Rams team would be best:

a): Rams with Carriker at Tackle, and Chris Long at end?
b): Rams with Carriker at End, and Glenn Dorsey at Tackle?
c): Rams with Carriker at Tackle, and Vernon Gholson at end?
(and keeping the O-line with Pace and a 2nd-round OT draft choice).

SO IN GENERAL IT'S....

d): Rams with a fantastic O-line (if they take Jake Long) but finishing around 20th against the run, and having about 6 sacks... OR:

e): Rams with an average/above average O-line, BUT stuffing the run COMPLETELY with Dorsey and Carriker... OR:

f): Rams with an average/above average O-line, BUT doing okay against the run AND striking fear into opposing QB's with a killer pass-rusher DE??

ANSWER: PICK A DE !!!! - (NOW WHICH ONE??)
If I was a defensive coordinator, which one would I rather NOT scheme against? "Mr.Relentless (Chris Long - the new Kevin Greene/Patrick Kearney) or "Mr.Rocket" (Vernon Gholstone - maybe the new Lawrence Taylor, a possible weekly QB leg breaker?? (see: 'Joe Theisman')

FINAL ANSWER: For me, Dorsey would be a fantastic pick for the Rams, they could team him with Carriker for years and FINALLY might be able to stop the run, but Carriker is doing a good job by himself and the FEAR of a true SPEED RUSHER coming off the edge would be great! That's how the Giants got to Brady in the Super Bowl...

PICK: VERNON GHOLSTON, DE, OHIO STATE....

PossumBoy9
03-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Vernon Gholston

PossumBoy9
03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
This is the Rams best chance in years. Last year Adam Carriker was a fantastic draft pick. Let's hope they can get it right twice in a row... I've been thinking about this for awhile and to me it boils down which Rams team would be best:

Darrelle Revis = Getting it right last year

No hindsight here.

nfrillman
03-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Darrelle Revis = Getting it right last year

No hindsight here.

It's hard to really argue against Carriker. Unless you draft someone that is a bust it's hard to be too upset about a pick. Hindsight is always 20/20, and I still don't know if I'd redo that pick for Revis. Carriker was very solid last year as a rookie. I am more than happy about that pick.

yodabear
03-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Howie Long's Sperm.

freebirdsrams02
03-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Just saw on ESPN news Todd McShay talking about Glenn Dorsey and his pro day. He thinks he is definitely a top 5 pick and could go to the Rams at #2 who liked his work out. Do the Rams go Dorsey if Long DE is gone?

NGSeiler
03-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Do the Rams go Dorsey if Long DE is gone?

I hope not. I'd rather see the Rams take Jake Long or Vernon Gholston before Glenn Dorsey. The injury concerns just have me too nervous to feel great about using that high a pick and that much money on him. Plus, we already spent a first round pick on a guy who projects to UT on our line.

freebirdsrams02
03-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I am with you, I hope the Rams pass him right on to the Falcons or Raiders.

Hessel
04-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Gholston had an awesome combine. The guy has a rare combination of speed and strength but is raw. Watch a replay of the Ohio St. VS Michigan game and see what he did to Jake Long. If you lost 13 games the past season, you need playmakers. My only fear with this pick would be how steep the learning curve is and how raw Gholston appears. The bust factor is high, but the reward could be huge. If your in the other teams backfield all game long, your secondary will look a lot better.

freebirdsrams02
04-16-2008, 06:41 PM
I see that Chad Johnson really wants out of Cincinnatti. I don't know what they are asking for him, if they are even showing a strong interest in trading him, but should the Rams even look into it or would Johnson be someone the Rams don't even think about.

KCJ58
04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Cinncy wants a 1st round pick and is looking to negotiate with ether Washington or Tennessee

NGSeiler
04-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I see that Chad Johnson really wants out of Cincinnatti. I don't know what they are asking for him, if they are even showing a strong interest in trading him, but should the Rams even look into it or would Johnson be someone the Rams don't even think about.

I'll pass, thanks.

etk
04-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Chris Long won't be going to Miami, so 100% he will be the Rams pick unless they trade down.

nfrillman
04-16-2008, 09:34 PM

Ummm, I think I'll pass on that. I'm sure the Rams will have enough headaches without looking for em.

KCJ58
04-18-2008, 07:36 PM
the more I think about the more I like the sound of Chris Long being our selection, Glenn Dorsey is a heck of a player and might be a better overall talent then Long but moving Carriker to DE will just slow down his progress and our Depth at DE is a lot weaker then at DT. Chris Long should be our pick because Miami will take Jake Long with the #1 overall pick

holt_bruce81
04-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Chris Long, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey or Vernon Gholston.......I'm happy with either one of these guys.

nfrillman
04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Chris Long, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey or Vernon Gholston.......I'm happy with either one of these guys.

I pretty much feel the same way. The only way I will be p*ssed off about our first round pick is if they don't take one of those guys. Personally I have Chris Long at the top of my list for the Rams, but after that I am really torn about who to take. There parts of each player that I really like, but then there are some things that make me think, nah not him.

Jake Long
-Could be a top OT in the league for a very long time, and those are hard to find
-We already have Pace and Barron

Vernon Gholston
-Could become an elite pass rush DE
-Boom or bust, I don't like being scared about whether the guy will be an utter disaster

Glenn Dorsey
-Many have him graded as the best player in the draft
-Do we really need 5 DT's? Pass rush problem is not solved

Barring a random change of mind, which is quite possible, here is my order of preference for the Rams. I will also predict what that pick means to round 2-3.

1. Chris Long- It seems that at the very least he will be a good DE. The 2nd and 3rd round will most likely be a combo of OT and WR, with an outside chance of an OLB (I hear coaches like Culberson though)

2. Jake Long- Pace has suffered season ending injuries in 2 straight games, if he does prove to be healthy in the coming years then Barron might be able to move to OG (close to the ball, maybe less false starts). 2nd round will almost certainly be a DE unless a WR they love drops that far. 3rd round will be WR (I'd like Will Franklin in the 3rd, but Scott's new mock has Manningham going here which would be hard to argue)

3. Vernon Gholston- Potentially an elite DE in the NFL. Same story as Chris Long, 2nd and 3rd round will be a combo of OT and WR.

4. Glenn Dorsey- Quite possibly the best player, creates a formidable and deep interior line. I do not believe Carriker would be moved to DE, in fact I could see Wroten being given a shot at DE simply because of the depth at DT and lackthereof at DE. 2nd and 3rd round will be OT, DE, or WR.

holtfan92
04-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Citing league sources, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports Rams coach Scott Linehan "likes (DeSean) Jackson a lot."
There are rumblings that St. Louis might trade back into the latter half of the first round to take him. At 5'9/169, Jackson fits the profile of speedy light bodied receivers that new offensive coordinator Al Saunders is fond of.

Rotoworld.com

Did anyone see this? I think linehan is pretty stupid for this reason.

holt_bruce81
04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Rotoworld.com

They like Jackson but I haven't read any rumors about them wanting to trade down into the 1st to get him. I do think if he is on the board in the 2nd round the Rams will snag him though.

nfrillman
04-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Rotoworld.com

With the number of quality WR's that will be available from round 2-4, it doesn't make sense to trade back and take one in the 1st round.

yodabear
04-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Yeah, quite frankily it would the most returded thing we've ever done, and we've done a lot of returded stuff. Why trade down when we can get a defensive playmaker like Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, or Vernon Gholston. Those 3 are exactly what we need. Like many said, we can get a WR as talented or even better than Jackson in round 2.

KCJ58
04-19-2008, 01:41 AM
With the number of quality WR's that will be available from round 2-4, it doesn't make sense to trade back and take one in the 1st round.

good point

as much as I like DeSean and love to see the Rams select him, trading back in the 1st round is just stupid, James Hardy, Earl Bennett, or any of those type of WR can be there in the 2nd round at the #33 pick

holt_bruce81
04-19-2008, 02:18 AM
good point

as much as I like DeSean and love to see the Rams select him, trading back in the 1st round is just stupid, James Hardy, Earl Bennett, or any of those type of WR can be there in the 2nd round at the #33 pick

From what I hear, Rams like Hardy but are concerned with his off the field issues.

I'm liking the idea more and more of just waiting till round 3 or 4 and selecting Will Franklin, the guy has a Torry Holt type attitude and has the speed the Rams need.

NGSeiler
04-19-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm really not that opposed to the idea, depending on what we do with the pick prior to that and how much it's going to cost to move back up. If we've taken a defensive end or Jake Long, then I'd be more inclined or willing to make a move back up because we've already addressed one area of need. If we take Dorsey, I'd probably be more inclined to keep the pick and not trade up since we'll have not addressed an area of weakness with that selection.

nfrillman
04-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm really not that opposed to the idea, depending on what we do with the pick prior to that and how much it's going to cost to move back up. If we've taken a defensive end or Jake Long, then I'd be more inclined or willing to make a move back up because we've already addressed one area of need. If we take Dorsey, I'd probably be more inclined to keep the pick and not trade up since we'll have not addressed an area of weakness with that selection.

Oh, well I read that differently than you. I read it as meaning the Rams trading their 1st round pick in return for a later 1st round pick and additional picks. If it means trading up to get two 1st round picks it makes a bit more sense, but I still don't really like it just because the Rams could take a WR 10-15 spots after where Jackson is selected, which would still be one of the top WR's. Based on some of the stuff I have seen recently, like Manningham and Will Franklin being available in the 3rd round, I'd almost rather wait until the 3rd round to take a WR. Of course that depends on if they think those guys will really be there in the 3rd.

freebirdsrams02
04-19-2008, 06:06 PM
What about Sedrick Ellis DT, USC. If we did move back, but stay in the top 10 he should be there. Would he be a bad pick or someone who could fit with us.

nfrillman
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
What about Sedrick Ellis DT, USC. If we did move back, but stay in the top 10 he should be there. Would he be a bad pick or someone who could fit with us.

He'd have the same thing going against him as Dorsey does, do we really need 5 DT's.

holt_bruce81
04-19-2008, 08:01 PM

I'm really hesitant on draft Ellis, I forgot who it was but someone was on the local radio here in St. Louis and they stated that DTs (around 6'0) usually have no success in the nfl. Says DTs need to usually be at least 6'1.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-20-2008, 01:08 AM
As I see it, Gholston and Dorsey are two of the three best players in the draft (Mcfadden probably #1, in a close race.)

If I were the rams, I take Gholston first just because a pass rusher is hard to find. If the guy turns out like I think he will, you wont be sorry.

Dorsey is really amazing. Watching him is somthing else. However, I would have to agree with previous posters. He would not address a concern. I am on board with taking best player usually, but in this situation I wouldn't want to use the pick where I already have depth and potential.

I may end up eating crow, but I think Chris Long is overrated. He is good, and I dont deny that. But top three prospect???? I watch him and dont see it. I want to restate-he does not suck by any means. But I dont see his ceiling being as high as Gholston. The pick needs to be Gholston, and I think that is where it will be.

I wander what the magazines would say if Chris Long's name was Chester Colberstein and his father was a Raiders fan instead of a raiders great.

Maybe it is just me.

NGSeiler
04-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh, well I read that differently than you. I read it as meaning the Rams trading their 1st round pick in return for a later 1st round pick and additional picks.

My interpretation was that they'd make their pick at second overall, and then similarly to what Cleveland did, trade back into the first round to grab Jackson. Now, whether or not it costs next year's first round pick to do so, I dunno. If it does, I'm against it.

the Rams could take a WR 10-15 spots after where Jackson is selected, which would still be one of the top WR's.

Maybe, maybe not. If Thomas, Jackson, Sweed, and Hardy all go in the first round, then you're not left with incredibly good options @ 33 IMO. Kelly and Manningham have red flags that make me hesitant, and I'm not sure you're getting the best value in a Caldwell or Avery there.

Based on some of the stuff I have seen recently, like Manningham and Will Franklin being available in the 3rd round, I'd almost rather wait until the 3rd round to take a WR. Of course that depends on if they think those guys will really be there in the 3rd.

Manningham may or may not be there depending on how comfortable people are with his character issues. Personally I don't think he's a great option for the Rams because of Devaney's stated interest in character guys. Franklin probably will be there in the third, as he's generally graded as a mid rounder from what I've seen. Another guy I have my eye on as a possible third round candidate is Jerome Simpson.

So yeah, there are options that can be had later in the draft. But if the Rams have Jackson graded as a top twenty player in this class, and he slips into the mid or even late twenties, then trading up for a guy of that caliber probably looks pretty good to them, especially if they can do it at minimal cost. Do you pass on that because you think the guy you have graded as a third rounder has potential too? Hard to say.

I'm not a fan of it for the same reason that works against Dorsey for me - I'm of the belief that the Rams already have two potential starters at DT in Carriker and Ryan, so there simply isn't much of a need at the position IMO.