PDA

View Full Version : Carlson runs 4.67 at ND pro day

Axl Rose
03-19-2008, 09:47 PM
For anyone that jumped off the bandwagon after his disappointing combine.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1289025~Carlson_puts_up_good_numbers_at_Notre_Dame _s_Pro_Day.html

Bobo
03-19-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't even remember what his combine time was for sure since it seemed well off what his game speed would make you think. 4.9? Something like that. Bah.

kmartin575
03-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Doesn't really change much. Most players' times do improve by quite abit at their pro days.

Axl Rose
03-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Doesn't really change much. Most players' times do improve by quite abit at their pro days.

He improved everything though, his vertical improved by 5 inches, he caught all the balls thrown to him. People didn't take into account he was still very weak from being sick the day of the combine.

Flyboy
03-19-2008, 10:56 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18816

Hi there.

FA1
03-19-2008, 11:06 PM
He improved everything though, his vertical improved by 5 inches, he caught all the balls thrown to him. People didn't take into account he was still very weak from being sick the day of the combine.

He wasn't sick the day of the combine, he hadn't fully regained his strength from the illness that kept him out of the Senior Bowl. He's still a 3rd rounder on my board.

Geo
03-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Way too much was made about his Combine performance, Carlson's top-notch.

Wonder if this means he still has a chance at reaching the Colts' 2nd round pick.

MetSox17
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Way too much was made about his Combine performance, Carlson's top-notch.

Wonder if this means he still has a chance at reaching the Colts' 2nd round pick.

Don't pull a bill parcells and take a TE in the 2nd round
when you already have a pro-bowl caliber one..

Axl Rose
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM

They need a TE, They're losing Utech.

Sniper
03-20-2008, 12:07 AM
They need a TE, They're losing Utech.

Oooooooo stinging loss.

nobodyinparticular
03-20-2008, 12:07 AM

And a Notre Dame TE at that... (just like Parcells)

Geo
03-20-2008, 01:04 AM
I definitely like Carlson more than I liked Fasano as a prospect, myself. Anyone else also feel like this?

kmartin575
03-20-2008, 08:30 AM

Everybody's vertical improved. There was an error in the measurements at the combine for the vertical so everybody's vertical was off by at least 3 inches.

Matthew Jones
03-20-2008, 09:00 AM
I liked Fasano more than Carlson.

energizerbunny
03-20-2008, 12:33 PM

This is a 2 Tightend league.... especially when you have a TE you can flank or put out in the slot having a good 2nd TE is of upmost importance.

Babylon
03-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I definitely like Carlson more than I liked Fasano as a prospect, myself. Anyone else also feel like this?

I agree, looks like a second rounder to me.

A Perfect Score
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
i was a much bigger fan of fasano then i am carlson...but thats just me. Fasano was tough as nails, and a real team player. Not saying carlson isnt. But everytime i saw an interview with fasano, i came away impressed. I wish we had him in the ravens...******* todd heap cant stay healthy.

mqtirishfan
03-20-2008, 09:03 PM

Absolutely not. Fasano was simply a better TE at ND than Carlson was. Fasano was a delight to watch on Saturdays, and I think he could be a quality starter in this league.

etk
03-20-2008, 09:16 PM
This is about right. I'd speculate Carlson's 40 time as 4.75ish and that's the middle ground between his Pro Day and Combine numbers.

I think he will be a 2nd rounder. He's got good size/build with a frame to grow, he's a natural pass catcher and a solid blocker. He won't stretch the defense but he can be an effective receiving option on short and intermediate routes. I like him a lot in a 2-TE offense.

energizerbunny
03-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Supposively he had a stomach flu or something like that at the combine and lost 15 pounds and was really weak for his 40 at the combine.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
This is about right. I'd speculate Carlson's 40 time as 4.75ish and that's the middle ground between his Pro Day and Combine numbers.

I think he will be a 2nd rounder. He's got good size/build with a frame to grow, he's a natural pass catcher and a solid blocker. He won't stretch the defense but he can be an effective receiving option on short and intermediate routes. I like him a lot in a 2-TE offense.

Scouting departments keep a close tabs on different track speed and will + or - based on past year's performances. I don't know Notre Dame's past record so I'll have to leave it to the pros to decide if his 40 time at his pro day is really good or not. It is very rare in my experience that pro scouts and GM's will take a pro day 40 time over a combine time unless there were extenuating circumstances which is possible in this case. It will all depend on whether or not pro scouts and GM's really believe the excuses.

G-Men88
03-21-2008, 12:21 PM

As a Notre Dame fan I have to agree. Both were excellent but Carlson is a much better route runner and pass catcher. He is also a little faster and quicker than Fasano was. Fasano was a much better blocker though and probablly a better overall Tight End but Carlson is a better recieving TE.