PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network TV Personalities

schmiddog
03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Does anyone else think some of their draft analysts absolutely suck at their jobs?

Namely, off the top of my head-Jamie Dukes, Marshall Faulk, Charles Davis, Brian Baldinger....

My "favorite" Jamie Dukes quote-

(From 2007, paraphrased): "Reggie Ball will be the next Marques Colston"

MetSox17
03-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Everything on NFL Network sucks balls,
i was throwing stuff at my tv when gumbel and collinsworth
called their games. total morons, you would imagine
that they'd do a little homework on the teams before
they went on national tv and made fools of themselves.

CARDIAC CAT 7
03-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I think Marshall Faulk does a pretty good job, but the others you named are horrible. Adam Schefter keeps that station alive, hes probably the best in the business at giving breaking news and usually is pretty accurate.

BamaFalcon59
03-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Adam Scheftler, Marshall Faulk, and Rob Woodson are the best on the station.

Brent
03-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Rich is the only one that doesn't bother me.

schmiddog
03-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Adam Scheftler, Marshall Faulk, and Rob Woodson are the best on the station.

Faulk, from what I've seen, is truly horrendous. His assessment of McFadden on combine day was extremely unprofessional, and I started guffawing (in disgust, granted) when he said the Bills needed an LT when they have Jason Peters.

BamaFalcon59
03-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Rich is the only one that doesn't bother me.

He is pretty bad knowlege wise. He knew absolutely nothing about the prospects at the combine, and generally really seems clueless.

Forenci
03-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Eh, the only one I really have a problem with is Dukes. The guy just plain doesn't no ****. Jonathan Wade in the first round last year? Right..

I like Charles Davis, I don't know why though. Faulk is solid.

Rich Eisen and Adam Schefter are easily some of the best though. Schefter is good stuff, but damn it Adam, did you have to ruin the Lions picking Calvin Johnson last year? It would have been so much more dramatic had it been announced by the Commish.

Eisen is hilarious though, I love him as a host.

Mike Mayock on draft day is unparalleled. The way they break down film on NFL Network of just about every prospect is unrivaled if you ask me. I love it.

schmiddog
03-20-2008, 01:09 AM
Eh, the only one I really have a problem with is Dukes. The guy just plain doesn't no ****. Jonathan Wade in the first round last year? Right..

I like Charles Davis, I don't know why though. Faulk is solid.

Rich Eisen and Adam Schefter are easily some of the best though. Schefter is good stuff, but damn it Adam, did you have to ruin the Lions picking Calvin Johnson last year? It would have been so much more dramatic had it been announced by the Commish.

Eisen is hilarious though, I love him as a host.

Mike Mayock on draft day is unparalleled. The way they break down film on NFL Network of just about every prospect is unrivaled if you ask me. I love it.

Schefter is neither here nor there....he certainly doesn't offer anything original. It seems as if he just dryly and objectively conveys information he's heard.

vidae
03-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Rich is entertaining as a host but that's about it. And I cannot stand Marshall Faulk if I'm being honest. Jamie Dukes is alright. Rod is alright.

And I really prefer the ESPN lineup when it comes to the draft. I really like Chris Berman and I've been watching Mel Kiper for years now. I'm not sure I could change from Kiper to Mayock. Mayock bugs me and I don't know why.

Scott Wright
03-20-2008, 04:17 AM
I think just like with any other network there are some I can take and some I would leave.

Here are the guys I like: Adam Schefter, Mike Mayock, Chris Collinsworth, Charles Davis, Mike Lombardi and Charley Casserly. And you gotta love Deion.

Addict
03-20-2008, 04:36 AM
I think just like with any other network there are some I can take and some I would leave.

Here are the guys I like: Adam Schefter, Mike Mayock, Chris Collinsworth, Charles Davis, Mike Lombardi and Charley Casserly. And you gotta love Deion.

Charles Davis is loud though, I have to turn the sound down when he talks, otherwise his voice crushes my ears.

What's always awkward is when they get those bloggers and editors in to make predictions or whatever, because those guys are very uncomfortable in front of camera.

Scott Wright
03-20-2008, 04:58 AM
I don't like Davis' delivery but he actually makes a lot of solid points when you listen to him.

UKfan
03-20-2008, 05:17 AM
I dislike Jamie Dukes with a passion, the man just plain annoys me. Rich Eisen is a bit hit and miss, personally I prefer when Fran Charles hosts. Schefter, Faulk, Woodson are all solid.

Also, I can't stand Collinsworth and Gumbel, both equally suck as much as one another, ugh.

Addict
03-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Shannon Sharpe is a bit screamy, but he and Baldinger do seem to have a nice insight.

vidae
03-20-2008, 06:58 AM
I forgot about Collinsworth and Gumbel. I do like Collinsworth and thought he was one of the better parts of iNFL. Gumbel is probably the most annoying sports announcer I've ever heard in my entire life.

Jakey
03-20-2008, 07:01 AM
Mayock, Shefter and Woodson FTW!

Eisen is funny, but he doesnt know a great deal.

cinnamonheart85
03-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Rich Eisen is very funny and entertaining in my opinion. Adam Schefter is great with the breaking news and could have his own 30 min. show! And I love Deion and Rod Woodson. Mike Mayock knows his stuff well, but is very opinionated at times which may lead to inaccurate projections (for example, saying that he feels Darren McFadden is not a top 20 prospect with or without his character issues). The NFL Network is my favorite channel since I love football though, but as was stated above, Dukes needs to go!

TACKLE
03-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Jamie Dukes = Football Genius

Thunder&Lightning
03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Rich Eisen is the absolute man!

Cant stand Shefter though...

theMadStork
03-21-2008, 04:13 AM
i think Charles Davis is the absolute worst on the station (well, Jamie Dukes is just a no talent clown so he's not even considered)). Davis' delivery is poor, but i can deal with that. it's his "head in the clouds" views that make me constantly scratch my head and say WTF?

his mocks are amazing. it's like someone that has no clue just throwing names out there

TheBuffaloBills
03-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Man I wish Time Warner had NFL network....... I thought it was a great station that got pretty in depth into the draft...... This my first draft without NFL network

NIN1984
03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I like most of the crew...

Rich Eisen
Adam Schefter
Rod Woodson
Deion Sanders
Terrell Davis

and Mike Mayock is the reason I watch NFL Network on Draft day.

DreamDraft04
03-21-2008, 12:08 PM
called me Crazy, Im actually a big fan of the NFL network staff..

BufFan71
03-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I think Marshall Faulk does a pretty good job, but the others you named are horrible. Adam Schefter keeps that station alive, hes probably the best in the business at giving breaking news and usually is pretty accurate.

yeah considering the fact he said the Buffalo Bills need an upgrade at LT

Jason Peters

i guess being a legit-probowler in yur 2nd year starting isnt good enough anymore.

youcandoit1687
03-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Dukes does have a Dicky V./Stephen A. Smith quality but he has some pretty good interviews and finds ways to connect to his subjects so that they open up to him.

Mayock seems very headstrong but I find that his views are very accurate and I happen to agree with him regarding McFadden's legs causing him to be very similar to Reggie Bush without the ball skills.

Schefter has every inside scoop out there and makes Chris Mortensen and John Clayton look silly sometimes but I do wonder whether Schefter may get special privileges since he works for the NFL.

The rest are all fine and they really seem to be more of a loose, fun brotherhood where it feels as if the viewer is part of the panel whereas ESPN can be dry and CBS/FOX can be all inside jokes.

Brent
03-24-2008, 07:53 AM
examples of Gumbel's worthlessness:

-Calling Frank Gore "Al Gore" about 5 times during the Cinci/SF game
-The whole game he got the names of the Bengals' and Niners' kickers switched
-In the GB/Dallas game he called Patrick Crayton "Paytrick Craton" about 5 or 6 times

etk
03-24-2008, 08:58 AM
No one has mentioned Steve Mariucci....he's the least bothersome IMO.

I like Marshall because he actually stands up against Mayock and voices his own opinions. Rod Woodson is someone I respect as well.

Schefter delivers news very well. He may have special privileges but he's ferocious on his blackberry.

skinzzfan25
03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I like Eisen, I think h e's a good host regardless of his football knowledge (or lack). I like Woodsen, Casserly, and Mayock. Other than that, you could ship everybody else away.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about Mooch, I really like him too.

03-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Faulk, from what I've seen, is truly horrendous. His assessment of McFadden on combine day was extremely unprofessional, and I started guffawing (in disgust, granted) when he said the Bills needed an LT when they have Jason Peters.

If I'm not mistaken Marshall corrected himself the next day and said he was referring to the need at RT. Adam Schefter no doubt is the best in the business at what he does and despite some recent mishaps with his draft evaluations Mike Mayock overall is still unparalleled amongst draft experts.