PDA

View Full Version : Active Hall of Famers

nfrillman
03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
We have now reached the point in the offseason where nothing substantial will happen until the draft. So, to liven the place up a bit, I ask you to name the active players you think will reach the HOF. Off the top of my head in no particular order.

QB
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning

RB
Steven Jackson....I know he still has a long long ways to go
Ladainian Tomlinson
Larry Johnson....Again he must do a lot, and I worry about him getting too many carries
I would say AP, but he has only played one year and the injury concern is still there for me

WR
Torry Holt
Isaac Bruce
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Marvin Harrison

There are many others I feel have a decent shot, but there are issues like character (TO's #'s will be too amazing to deny him) and having to continue their success for years to come. These are guys I would put in this group in a rough order of what I think their chances of making it are:
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquon Boldin
Hines Ward......should probably make it because of his overall game, but stat sheets may hurt him
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson......an amazing talent, but his career could end up being wasted away with a terrible team if remains in Houston

OL
Jonathon Ogden
Walter Jones
Larry Allen

Again many others that could make it, like Orlando Pace (must return to a top level without injuries for a few years) and Samuel from Washington. I am probably leaving some guys off this on accident.

DL
Michael Strahan

LB
Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher
Shawn Merriman

DB
Champ Bailey
Ed Reed

There are a lot guys here that have a shot but I am not as confident about. I'm even a little hesitant on Reed.

fenikz
03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Larry Johnson started too late he only has about 4-5 years left to put up hall of fame numbers

Edgerrin James should be on there

11607 Rushing Yards
3260 Receiving Yards
88 TD

nfrillman
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Larry Johnson started too late he only has about 4-5 years left to put up hall of fame numbers

11607 Rushing Yards
3260 Receiving Yards
88 TD

Yeah, I was thinking that LJ is a tad old too, I probably should have put him on the bubble.

I think Edgerrin James will be hurt because of his years in Arizona. What I mean by that is that those years are revealing that he is not nearly as good as what his stats in Indianapolis would indicate. Throughout his entire career in Indy he wasn't the guy the defense geared up to stop. That makes things a lot easier.

DragonFireKai
03-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Larry Johnson is done. Herm rode the wheels off the bus, and LJ's never going to be the same.

Santonio10
03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I dont think LJs too old. But i think ben roethlisberger i a future hall of famer.

BeerBaron
03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
heres one for oline: reuben brown.

how many umpteen million pro bowls did he make? sure he was awful last year but he was ancient. i think he has a good shot

BeerBaron
03-20-2008, 07:24 PM
and why walter jones but not pace? if i had the option of either i their prime i would go with pace and i believe pace has a ring while jones does not. that certainly helps

Tampa 2 4 life
03-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Derek Brooks, Ronde Barber?

nfrillman
03-20-2008, 07:29 PM
and why walter jones but not pace? if i had the option of either i their prime i would go with pace and i believe pace has a ring while jones does not. that certainly helps

In their primes I would definitely take Pace. I am a Rams fan so you don't have to convince me of that. But if he continues to get injured I don't know if he will make it. If he can play a few more years with minimal injuries then I definitely think he is in.

fenikz
03-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that LJ is a tad old too, I probably should have put him on the bubble.

I think Edgerrin James will be hurt because of his years in Arizona. What I mean by that is that those years are revealing that he is not nearly as good as what his stats in Indianapolis would indicate. Throughout his entire career in Indy he wasn't the guy the defense geared up to stop. That makes things a lot easier.

He has had back to back 1200 yard years behind one of the worst run blocking lines in the league, don't see that hurting him any

nfrillman
03-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Derek Brooks, Ronde Barber?

Definitely great players. They'd be near the top of the list of guys that have a decent shot but I'm unsure of.

BeerBaron
03-20-2008, 07:35 PM
out of those two i would say brooks more than barber, but both should at least get their names on the ballot and jump in during a slow year.

speaking of former bucs, how bout john lynch? hes still busy making pro bowls and the occasional bone jarring tackle....i think he might have a real good shot

gsorace
03-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Alan Faneca

Splat
03-20-2008, 07:57 PM
LJ's never going to be the same.

I disagree but he won't be a HOF.

Gonzo will be.

Yung Flippa
03-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Houston isn't a terrible team, they're up and coming. They just need a solid running game and a more playmaking defense and they'll be a very solid team.

neko4
03-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Greg Jennings and Ryan Grant... mark it down!
Thats really looking into the future though

I cant think of too many packers that would have a chance. Maybe Hawk, Barnett or Kampman. Driver would be nice but he isnt talked about alot. More consistent than many WR's over the last few years, but i doubt any current packers make the HOF

DragonFireKai
03-20-2008, 08:26 PM
I disagree but he won't be a HOF.

Gonzo will be.

There's only one running back who ever came back from a 400+ carry season to have anything resembling sucess. He's the exception that proves the rule. It's not LJ.

nfrillman
03-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I totally forgot TE's. I would say Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates are definitely in. There are some others with a chance, but those two are definitely the leaders.

Splat
03-20-2008, 08:39 PM
There's only one running back who ever came back from a 400+ carry season to have anything resembling sucess. He's the exception that proves the rule. It's not LJ.

LT Has started 111 games and has had 2,365 carries.

LJ Has started 36 games and has had 1,050 carries.

But LJ is done?

I will be the first to say he won't go to the HOF or be as good as LT but saying he is done after 36 games is a little much.

KCJ58
03-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Shawn Merriman? you must be joking

neko4
03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
hows about Tony Romo?

Splat
03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
hows about Tony Romo?

Slow down.

DragonFireKai
03-20-2008, 08:58 PM
LT Has started 111 games and has had 2,365 carries.

LJ Has started 36 games and has had 1,050 carries.

But LJ is done?

I will be the first to say he won't go to the HOF or be as good as LT but saying he is done after 36 games is a little much.

It's not a matter of games played, or even total carries. It's a matter of carries in a season. Only Eric Dickerson has ever been succesful after a 400 carry season. Jamaal Anderson, a 5'11" 237 lb back, at age 26, carried the ball 410 times, he had started 27 games up until that point. He rushed for 1800 yards and 14 TDs. Afterwards, this was his stat line.

Y+1 19 carries, 51 yards, 0 TDs, injury after two games.
Y+2 282 carries, 1024 yards, 6 TDs
Y+3 55 carries, 190 yards, 1 TD, injury after three games.
Y+4 out of the league.

In reality, most backs struggle to remain productive after a 370+ carry season. 400 is a straight up backbreaker.

YAYareaRB
03-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Shawne Merriman?

Splat
03-20-2008, 09:04 PM
In reality, most backs struggle to remain productive after a 370+ carry season. 400 is a straight up backbreaker.

Jamal Lewis has had 3 seasons over 1000 yards after his 2003 season when he had 387 att's and in 2005 he was just 90 yards short of doing it a 4th time. LJ might not have another 1500-1700 yard season in him but I could very well see a few more Jamal Lewis kinda years left in him.

andyjo672
03-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Jamal Lewis has had 3 seasons over 1000 yards after his 2003 season when he had 387 att's and in 2005 he was just 90 yards short of doing it a 4th time. LJ might not have another 1500-1700 yard season in him but I could very well see a few more Jamal Lewis kinda years left in him.

Even if he does put up Jamal Lewis numbers going forward, Jamal Lewis isn't a HOFer, therefore, neither will LJ. And because that's the point of this thread, the LJ arguement can stop for now. People are throwing around players a little too liberally on this HOF thing. Antonio Gates has had some good seasons, yes, but to say he is definitely among the leaders at the TE position right now is ridiculous. The only one in contention I would say is Tony Gonzalez. Ryan Grant has started half, HALF, a season. AJ Hawk? What has he done to be a HOF other than be a First Round pick? A LOT of people have "potential" to be HOF's, but to say a guy that's been in the league for less than 3 years has a chance is a little far fetched I feel, and not even worth conversation (And to make sure people don't think I'm biased, I feel the EXACT same way about Adrian Peterson).

goodlookin
03-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I was trying to think of more DL who have a chance but none really come to mind, any thoughts...struggling on this

kmartin575
03-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Larry Johnson is done. Herm rode the wheels off the bus, and LJ's never going to be the same.

Oh give me a freaking break. His injury this year had nothing to do with overuse. His ankle got caught up under A.J. Hawk and he broke his foot. The ankle bent sideways almost. Would a rookie or somebody with less use have had a stronger ankle that could have handled being twisted complete sideways?

People act like Herm is the one who ran Curtis Martin into the ground which is a load of BS. Before Herm ever got to NY Martin had already played 6 years in the league and had carry totals of 368, 316, 274, 369, 367, and 316 before Herm ever got his hands on him.

If the Chiefs' offensive line can become respectable again then LJ will not have to be constantly dodging defenders in the backfield. Plus we now have a good second option with Kolby Smith who can take some carries away from LJ and keep him fresh. I don't see LJ having many more 1,700+ yard seasons but there is no reason to believe he can't have some more 1,400-1,500 yard seasons.

Burns336
03-20-2008, 11:43 PM
I would put DeMarcus Ware before I would put Shawne Merriman, but I am also a Cowboys fan..

kmartin575
03-20-2008, 11:44 PM
out of those two i would say brooks more than barber, but both should at least get their names on the ballot and jump in during a slow year.

speaking of former bucs, how bout john lynch? hes still busy making pro bowls and the occasional bone jarring tackle....i think he might have a real good shot

Lynch missed like half the season because of injury. Him being voted into the pro bowl this year shows what a complete joke the pro bowl has become. Lynch had no business being voted into another pro bowl.

Dam8610

11607 Rushing Yards
3260 Receiving Yards
88 TD

Yeah, he could retire with about 15000 rushing yards, 20000 APY, and 100 TDs...imagine what it would be had he never torn his ACL.

Burns336
Champ Baily will probably make it.

Dam8610
03-20-2008, 11:46 PM

In his defense, he went from one of the best OLs in the NFL to one of the worst. If the Cardinals can build an OL for him, he could probably reach his 03-05 production levels again.

kmartin575
03-20-2008, 11:47 PM

Give me a break. There is such a small sample to choose from that saying only one came back successfully means jack squat.

What about players who had 360 or 370 carries during the regular season and went on to play 2 or 3 playoff games that put them over 400 carries for the season? Nobody ever talks about them yet there are a good number of runningbacks who fall under that category. I looked it up once but I am too lazy to do it again. Emmitt Smith was one of them though and I believe he had 2 or 3 seasons with 400+ carries counting the playoffs, most of them being early in his career. He also had a couple more seasons in the 380 or 390 range that really were not much of a difference. He was just fine.

kmartin575
03-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Just some names off the top of my head:

Tony Gonzalez
Ty Law
Michael Strahan
Ladainian Tomlinson
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Jonathan Ogden (I believe he just retired but I will still count him as active)
Marvin Harrison
Torry Holt
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens

fenikz
03-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Devin Hester is well on his way to destroying every kr/pr record

but then again only 1 ST player has ever made it into the Hall

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Gayle Sayers made it in part because of his return ability, and the fact that for his era he was an absolute freak of nature.

That's not to say Hester will make the HOF, but the FO seems to have really high hopes for him at receiver down the road.

heavyduty
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
champ bailey will 100% make it as will ray lewis obviously. i also think zach thomas will end up there.

Thunder&Lightning
03-21-2008, 12:17 AM
We have now reached the point in the offseason where nothing substantial will happen until the draft. So, to liven the place up a bit, I ask you to name the active players you think will reach the HOF. Off the top of my head in no particular order.

QB
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning

RB
Steven Jackson....I know he still has a long long ways to go
Ladainian Tomlinson
Larry Johnson....Again he must do a lot, and I worry about him getting too many carries
I would say AP, but he has only played one year and the injury concern is still there for me

WR
Torry Holt
Isaac Bruce
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Marvin Harrison

There are many others I feel have a decent shot, but there are issues like character (TO's #'s will be too amazing to deny him) and having to continue their success for years to come. These are guys I would put in this group in a rough order of what I think their chances of making it are:
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquon Boldin
Hines Ward......should probably make it because of his overall game, but stat sheets may hurt him
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson......an amazing talent, but his career could end up being wasted away with a terrible team if remains in Houston

OL
Jonathon Ogden
Walter Jones
Larry Allen

Again many others that could make it, like Orlando Pace (must return to a top level without injuries for a few years) and Samuel from Washington. I am probably leaving some guys off this on accident.

DL
Michael Strahan

LB
Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher
Shawn Merriman

DB
Champ Bailey
Ed Reed

There are a lot guys here that have a shot but I am not as confident about. I'm even a little hesitant on Reed.

the bolded guys are the only guys on that list that are actual 100% hall of famers as of now

kmartin575
03-21-2008, 12:20 AM
the bolded guys are the only guys on that list that are actual 100% hall of famers as of now

Ogden and Jones aren't? I disagree with that.

Raiderz4Life
03-21-2008, 12:21 AM
your list might be better if you took down a name or two....like Steven Jax....he's a great player and all and i love him...but as of right now he's not even sniffing HOF

Brothgar
03-21-2008, 12:24 AM

I think you forgot Larry Allen. Anyone with 11 pro bowls, and what 2 SB rings? First Ballot or the HOF is a joke.

DLionALL
03-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Brian Dawkins baby.

Paul
03-21-2008, 01:29 AM

Sorry man, but Larry Allen is shoe in first ballot. Any reasoning on why he wouldn't be?

Splat
03-21-2008, 07:56 AM
I would put DeMarcus Ware before I would put Shawne Merriman, but I am also a Cowboys fan..

To early for both of them.

Finsfan79
03-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas will both end up in the HoF by the time it is done.

Taylor most likely a first ballot

Thomas will get in eventually (more tackles then any player in the HoF playing in multiple different defensive systems).

bucpimpin
03-21-2008, 08:18 AM
QB
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning

RB
Steven Jackson.... No!
Ladainian Tomlinson
Larry Johnson Never
WR
Torry Holt - No
Isaac Bruce - NoRandy Moss
Terrell Owens
Marvin Harrison

Chad Johnson - Not even close
Steve Smith - No
Larry Fitzgerald - No
Anquon Boldin - No
Hines Ward......Not even close
Reggie Wayne - No
Andre Johnson...... No

OL
Jonathon Ogden
Walter Jones
Larry Allen

DL
Michael Strahan

LB
Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher
Shawn Merriman - No
Add.. Derrick Brooks

DB
Champ Bailey - No
Ed Reed - No

It seems many think it is the Hall of very Good.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
^ I have to disagree on your statement about Champ Bailey. He's the best all-around corner in the game, best in coverage and one of the best against the run. Putting him in does not make it "The Hall of Very Good".

Addict
03-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Derrick Brooks will make the hall, he redefined his position, John Lynch will likely make it. I think Steve Hutchinson might have a chance as well. Torry Holt will probably make the Hall, just because of his huge production. Other than that I think the only absoluetely surefire guys right now are:

Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Champ Bailey
Marvin Harrisson
Tony Gonzalez
LaDainian Tomlinson
Ray Lewis
Michael Strahan
Walter Jones

keylime_5
03-21-2008, 08:55 AM
I doubt Holt makes it unless he sticks around and produces as long as Isaac Bruce did. It's hard to make it as a receiver, freakin' Cris Carter is gonna be a 2nd ballot HOFer even, and Art Monk got in after like 10 years of retirement at least. The Hall is stingy about which WRs they take, and they're gonna get even stingier b/c nowadays WRs stats are totally bloated due to rule changes and the development of the passing game in football recently. Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison are probably gonna go, and TO beileve it or not has a real good shot too.

Of other positions I think Jason Taylor and Orlando Pace should go but I'm not sure if they will or not.

AkiliSmith
03-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I think Willie Anderson has a chance, he was the best right tackle in the league for a long time. Only a 4 time pro bowler, but would have had a lot more had the Bengals not been horrible for the first 7 years of his career.

M.O.T.H.
03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Jason Witten should get there one day...greatest TE in team history.

Junior Seau
Adam Vinatieri

Are some other obvious choices.

Thunder&Lightning
03-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Sorry man, but Larry Allen is shoe in first ballot. Any reasoning on why he wouldn't be?

ya i dont know why i didnt highlight him...My mistake

marks01234
03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I doubt Holt makes it unless he sticks around and produces as long as Isaac Bruce did. It's hard to make it as a receiver, freakin' Cris Carter is gonna be a 2nd ballot HOFer even, and Art Monk got in after like 10 years of retirement at least. The Hall is stingy about which WRs they take, and they're gonna get even stingier b/c nowadays WRs stats are totally bloated due to rule changes and the development of the passing game in football recently. Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison are probably gonna go, and TO beileve it or not has a real good shot too.

Of other positions I think Jason Taylor and Orlando Pace should go but I'm not sure if they will or not.

Look at Holt's numbers. They are not far from Monk and Carter and he has been amazingly consistenct since he came into the league. He's got two rings and still a lot of gas left in the tank. He has missed exactly two games in his entire career, so don't expect him to stop putting up big numbers. He's one or two seasons away from being in Marvin Harrisons' shoes and this is without a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

Holt has a two more solid years and I think he is a lock to get in.

Turtlepower
03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Eli Manning!!! Mark it down!

And just to say it before scottyboy:

Brian Leonard.

Brent
03-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Off the top of my head in no particular order.

Steven Jackson
I just dont see that happening.

DragonFireKai
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Give me a break. There is such a small sample to choose from that saying only one came back successfully means jack squat.

What about players who had 360 or 370 carries during the regular season and went on to play 2 or 3 playoff games that put them over 400 carries for the season? Nobody ever talks about them yet there are a good number of runningbacks who fall under that category. I looked it up once but I am too lazy to do it again. Emmitt Smith was one of them though and I believe he had 2 or 3 seasons with 400+ carries counting the playoffs, most of them being early in his career. He also had a couple more seasons in the 380 or 390 range that really were not much of a difference. He was just fine.

I think the number of carries through the playoffs has less impact on the body because they're spaced out over a greater time frame. But I'm less lazy than you. So let's look it up. Here are all the running backs with 370 or fewer carries in the regular season, and 390 or more through the playoffs.

Terrell Davis in 1997: 369 carries regular season, 481 carries through playoffs. had a great season in 98, but that season's 392 regular season carries ended his career for all intents an purposes.

Shaun Alexander in 2005: 370 carries regular season, 430 carries through playoffs. Went from NFL MVP to shadow of himself.

Eddie George in 1999: 320 carries regular season, 428 through the playoffs. Dropped from 4.1 ypc to 3.7 ypc the next season, and then his 403 carry regular season, was never a good starter again.

Thurman Thomas in 1993: 355 carries Regular season, 418 carries through playoffs. Hung around for a while after that, but never broke 1,000 yards and 4.0 ypc in the same season again. Went from averaging 70 ypg, to 55 ypg.

Joe Morris in 1986: 341 carries regular season, 414 through playoffs. Went from 4.4 ypc to 3.4 ypc. Out of the league by 1989.

Jamal Lewis in 2000: 309 carries regular season, 412 carries through playoffs. Tore his ACL next season.

Corey Dillon in 2004: 345 carries regular season, 410 carries through playoffs. Went from 4.2 ypc to 3.5 ypc, missed 4 games due to injury. Out of league by 07.

Ahman Green in 2003: 355 carries regular season, 403 through playoffs. Went from 5.3 ypc, to 4.5 in 04, then 3.3 in 05 with 11 games missed due to injury.

Earl Campbell in 1979: 368 carries regular season, 401 through playoffs. Played well in 1980, but the 373 regular season carries that year broke him.

Natrone Means in 1994: 343 carries regular season, 400 carries through playoffs. missed 6 games due to injury next season, never played a full season again. Out of the league at age 28.

Dorsey Levens in 1997: 329 carries regular season, 400 through playoffs. Played 7 games next season, didn't break 4.0 ypc until 2002 as a backup.

Curt Warner in 1983: 335 carries regular season, 395 carries through playoffs. Missed entire 1984 season after he blew out his knee.

Emmitt Smith in 1994: 368 carries regular season, 395 through playoffs. Had his best season in 1995, where the 377 regular season carries caused him to go from 4.7 ypc to 3.7 ypc in 1996.

Curtis Martin in 1998 had 369 carries through the regular season, and 418 through the playoffs. Emmitt Smith in 1991 had 365 carries in the regular season, and 406 through the playoffs. Neither back suffered a significant decline in the next two years.

15 seasons, 10 of them declined the next season, 13 of them had declined by the second season. Ok, Playoff carries seem to matter too. But it still doesn't paint a favorable picture for LJ.

nfrillman
03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
It seems many think it is the Hall of very Good.

Well it's nice that you said no to all the WR's that I also said needed to do more to get in. Of course Anquon Boldin isn't in the HOF based on what he has done so far, but to say he doesn't have a shot at all is rather idiotic. That's why I added that secondary list of WR's that have a shot but must do a lot more down the road.

As for S-Jax and Merriman I know it is far far too early for them to be in the HOF based on what they have done thus far. I simply picked them because out of the young great players in the league they are towards the top of the list of guys who have the ability to continue to produce at a high level for years to come.

If you wanted to be a real stickler on this then you could basically only name players that are around 32 or older (besides Brady and LT), because they could suffer career ending injuries or fall of the face of the earth and not make the HOF because of it. But I think it is fairly safe to predict a reasonable level production from guys like Holt and Urlacher the remainder of their careers, thus putting them in the HOF.

nfrillman
03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Look at Holt's numbers. They are not far from Monk and Carter and he has been amazingly consistenct since he came into the league. He's got two rings and still a lot of gas left in the tank. He has missed exactly two games in his entire career, so don't expect him to stop putting up big numbers. He's one or two seasons away from being in Marvin Harrisons' shoes and this is without a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

Holt has a two more solid years and I think he is a lock to get in.

Thank you. I get rather tired of people saying Holt is on the bubble or won't make the HOF. I think people just spout off about him without realizing how great his numbers are.

Average Season:
89.4 catches
1328 yards
7.9 TD's

Take out his rookie season and it looks like this.
94.1 catches
1384.5 yards
8.1 TD's

What about those stats doesn't scream HOF. Those are averages, not career highs, averages.

Harrison's Average Season (taking out last year even):
92.9 catches
1245 yards
11.1 TD's

He also has never had a 1000 yard season without Manning (2 years) and didn't get 1000 yards in Manning's rookie year either. In fact he didn't even get 900 in any of those 3 years.

Holt on the other hand has put up these numbers with Warner, Green, Bulger, Chandler, Frerotte, and Fitzpatrick playing significant time (4 games or more). So really one could argue that Holt is better than Harrison, based on his consistency no matter who is around him. So basically, stop questioning whether Holt will make it, that's like questioning Emmitt Smith.......ridiculous.

JT Jag
03-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Fred Taylor. He has one more great season in him and a couple solid ones after that, and he'll definitely break 12,000 yards.

He'll get in if for no other reason then that he's the first Jaguar who has something like a Hall of Fame career, and so the first one in the Hall of Fame (Sorry, Jimmy. Maybe if you'd hung around a little longer).

scottyboy
03-22-2008, 08:58 PM
did turtlepower really beat me to it? Oh my goodness, i feel like such a failure as a homer. I feel so empty, worthless. Like turtlepower just forcibly took my innocence and pride...

BRIAN LEONARD

indyfan1985
03-22-2008, 09:53 PM
I think if Bob Sanders stays healthy for the most part and remains a Colt(meaning that he will stay on a winning team), that he has a good shot at making it. He could very well earn Defensive MVP again and be right there with Ed Reed for 2 MVP awards.

BaLLiN
03-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Brian Westbrook, and im a giants fan saying it

icantackleclaret
03-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Anyone else think Orlando Pace will make it? I saw Keylime and maybe 1 other mention him but that's it. I think being a great left tackle for a long stretch in the offense they ran he was as important as any "skill player".

BamaFalcon59
03-22-2008, 11:39 PM
I was trying to think of more DL who have a chance but none really come to mind, any thoughts...struggling on this

Warren Sapp, Bryan Young, Jason Taylor, Simeon Rice, and some others. Some young players as well, but we will not know for sure for a few years.

fenikz
03-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Well it's nice that you said no to all the WR's that I also said needed to do more to get in. Of course Anquon Boldin isn't in the HOF based on what he has done so far, but to say he doesn't have a shot at all is rather idiotic. That's why I added that secondary list of WR's that have a shot but must do a lot more down the road.

It's Anquan Boldin, not sure why everyone in this thread is spelling it weird, and based on what he has done so far he is the fastest WR ever to 100, 200, 300 & 400 receptions and is well on his way to be being the fastest to 500 he could end up some where are Cris Carter's numbers

BamaFalcon59
03-22-2008, 11:55 PM
I think DeAngelo Hall has as good a chance as any cornerback under 25.

jth1331
03-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Personally I hope they voters don't go for some of these "good" backs and WR's and vote them in instead of really making it for the "elite".
Guys like Fred Taylor, Isaac Bruce, Jamal Lewis, possibly Edgerrin James(depends on how he ends his career), Plaxico Burress if he gets up.
A lot of these guys are really good players, but, they are not the elites that should be HoFers.
Talking about Zach Thomas, Randy Gradishar was way better than him.
As for Safeties, Darren Woodson and Steve Atwater should both be in before Lynch, but that probably won't happen.

And people here are making a big deal about 1,000 yards rushing. Now a days, that seems to be nothing. 16 RB's rushed for 1,000+ yards last year. Heck, a couple years ago I think that number was in the mid 20's.
Personally, the only RB that I would consider a HoFer that is still active, is LT because he screams "Elite" and most of the time, come up with some way to make a killer play in a game. Adrian Peterson sort of showed that, but no way will I say HoFer about a guy in his 2nd year.
And Edgerrin James, heck, I think he gets in, but I will say I don't think he really deserves it as much. The Colts kinda showed that he wasn't hugely responsible for the wins, and they won a championship after letting him go.

awfullyquiet
03-24-2008, 09:18 AM
I think if Bob Sanders stays healthy for the most part and remains a Colt(meaning that he will stay on a winning team), that he has a good shot at making it. He could very well earn Defensive MVP again and be right there with Ed Reed for 2 MVP awards.

no way.

nope. nada. just because there's no one to really root for on the colts defense doesn't mean he's HOF worthy.

indyfan1985
03-24-2008, 09:47 AM
no way.

nope. nada. just because there's no one to really root for on the colts defense doesn't mean he's HOF worthy.

What are you talkin about? Sanders is arguably the best safety along with Reed and if he wins another Defensive MVP which is very possible since he is only 26, he will be in a class of his own with Reed atop the NFL safties. This defense has plenty to root for, since it is the FASTEST D IN THE LEAGUE!

awfullyquiet
03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
What are you talkin about? Sanders is arguably the best safety along with Reed and if he wins another Defensive MVP which is very possible since he is only 26, he will be in a class of his own with Reed atop the NFL safties. This defense has plenty to root for, since it is the FASTEST D IN THE LEAGUE!

you're a nerb.

you can still be the best safety in the league and not a HOFer.

ed reed isn't the best safety in the league either. but that's neither here nor there. ed reed IMO has a scant chance of making the HOF one day, even though he was a dominant force at safety. again, repeating, it's not the hall of very good. it's the hall of g*d damn fame.

DonWoods33
03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Personally I hope they voters don't go for some of these "good" backs and WR's and vote them in instead of really making it for the "elite".
Guys like Fred Taylor, Isaac Bruce, Jamal Lewis, possibly Edgerrin James(depends on how he ends his career), Plaxico Burress if he gets up.
A lot of these guys are really good players, but, they are not the elites that should be HoFers.
Talking about Zach Thomas, Randy Gradishar was way better than him.
As for Safeties, Darren Woodson and Steve Atwater should both be in before Lynch, but that probably won't happen.

And people here are making a big deal about 1,000 yards rushing. Now a days, that seems to be nothing. 16 RB's rushed for 1,000+ yards last year. Heck, a couple years ago I think that number was in the mid 20's.
Personally, the only RB that I would consider a HoFer that is still active, is LT because he screams "Elite" and most of the time, come up with some way to make a killer play in a game. Adrian Peterson sort of showed that, but no way will I say HoFer about a guy in his 2nd year.
And Edgerrin James, heck, I think he gets in, but I will say I don't think he really deserves it as much. The Colts kinda showed that he wasn't hugely responsible for the wins, and they won a championship after letting him go.

As much as I hate the Broncos you're right Atwater was a great player, so was Louie Wright. Its criminal that DBs get totally screwed while NYers like Harry Carson, and probably Curtis Martin, and stat king bum WRs Steve Largent, Charlie Joiner, Art Monk and QBs Warren Moon. Get in no problem. I think both the Woodson's. Darren and Rod should be in, of course if Darren had played for say Seattle, instead of Dallas he would struggle in this ultimate popularity contest.

Jughead10
03-24-2008, 11:34 AM
As much as I hate the Broncos you're right Atwater was a great player, so was Louie Wright. Its criminal that DBs get totally screwed while NYers like Harry Carson, and probably Curtis Martin, and stat king bum WRs Steve Largent, Charlie Joiner, Art Monk and QBs Warren Moon. Get in no problem. I think both the Woodson's. Darren and Rod should be in, of course if Darren had played for say Seattle, instead of Dallas he would struggle in this ultimate popularity contest.

I wouldn't say Harry Carson got in no problem. He waited a long long time. And hopefully Curtis Martin has to wait. He shouldn't get in right away. It really has nothing to do with playing in NY. Rod Woodson will be in first ballot, I don't think you have to worry about that. He just isn't eligible yet.

Brothgar
03-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Elvis Dummervill and Amobi Okoye. Elvis could end up being a top 10 guy in sacks by the end of his career. Amobi is going to spend 10 years in the league before he's 30 ... so he could realistically play for the next 15 years I'm sure he is going to put up HOF numbers in 15 years as a DT.

kmartin575
03-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Elvis Dummervill and Amobi Okoye. Elvis could end up being a top 10 guy in sacks by the end of his career. Amobi is going to spend 10 years in the league before he's 30 ... so he could realistically play for the next 15 years I'm sure he is going to put up HOF numbers in 15 years as a DT.

Wow your really reaching there.

DonWoods33
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Wow your really reaching there.

Isn't he though? People are putting a question mark next to Merriman, and he brings up Dummervil? Hell Richard Dent hardly has a snowballs chance of getting a nod, and he was the greatest situational pass rusher ever.

DonWoods33
03-24-2008, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't say Harry Carson got in no problem. He waited a long long time. And hopefully Curtis Martin has to wait. He shouldn't get in right away. It really has nothing to do with playing in NY. Rod Woodson will be in first ballot, I don't think you have to worry about that. He just isn't eligible yet.

You have guys like Tommy Nobis, Randy Gradsihar, Robert Brazile, all them guys are impact players, all better the Carson, and they ain't in. Of course they didn't play in NY either. So don't even say it doesn't matter. Furthermore it took guys like Lem Barney, and Jimmy Johnson (the CB not the coach) nearly two decades after their retirements to get in. But you can be an average Running Back, Quarterback, or Wide Receiver and it's not a problem.

Jughead10
03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
You have guys like Tommy Nobis, Randy Gradsihar, Robert Brazile, all them guys are impact players, all better the Carson, and they ain't in. Of course they didn't play in NY either. So don't even say it doesn't matter. Furthermore it took guys like Lem Barney, and Jimmy Johnson (the CB not the coach) nearly two decades after their retirements to get in. But you can be an average Running Back, Quarterback, or Wide Receiver and it's not a problem.

Well I think Gradishar should have gotten in this past season over some of the guys who did. However I think you are slighting Harry Carson by suggesting he is in over those guys because he played in NY. It isn't like there are a ton of guys from those championship teams who made the HOF just because they played for NY. Just him and Taylor. And he did wait 14 or 15 years himself.

DonWoods33
03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Well I think Gradishar should have gotten in this past season over some of the guys who did. However I think you are slighting Harry Carson by suggesting he is in over those guys because he played in NY. It isn't like there are a ton of guys from those championship teams who made the HOF just because they played for NY. Just him and Taylor. And he did wait 14 or 15 years himself.

I am not slighting the guy. He was great player. Banks, and Marshall were real good players on the defense as well. My main beef is with the whole selection deal. Look I am Chargers fan, but I am not sure if Charlie Joiner belongs in, and Fouts he never won anything significant, but he gets in on the first ballot. Meanwhile elite DBs and other guys wait and wait. Actually my biggest beef is with Warren Moon, and Steve Largent getting in. Sure they got the numbers, but Moon was never great in the playoffs, and Largent was nothing special. Largent was Gary Garrison, but he got to the NFL at the right time. And no one even knows who Garrison is.

JagHombre22
03-24-2008, 02:05 PM
it's amazing you don't even mention Fred Taylor's name when you named Runningbacks...he's has a helluva better chance than Steven Jackson at this point...

nfrillman
03-24-2008, 03:46 PM
it's amazing you don't even mention Fred Taylor's name when you named Runningbacks...he's has a helluva better chance than Steven Jackson at this point...

Well of course he does based on stats right now. I was attempting to look into the crystal ball a little bit. I like Taylor, but it's debatable whether he was ever a top 5 back in the NFL at any point in his career.

JagHombre22
03-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm sure his string of 1300 yards or more earlier in his career would classify him as a top 5 back...hell, one could argue he was a top 5 back this season...his rookie season he rushed for 1400 yards and 12 touchdowns....

ChezPower4
03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
I don't think anyone has said Derrick Brooks yet. What is up with you people saying that these guys that have been in leauge for less than five years are gonna make the HOF. If have 2 or 3 monster seasons does not mean that they're gonna any where near the HOF. Eli Manning, he won one Super Bowl so he should be in HOF? Might as well put Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer in there too then. Elvis Dummervill and Amobi Okoye, WOW, they have a combined three years in the NFL... great joke man!

jth1331
03-28-2008, 01:35 PM

I'm sorry, but Sanders did not deserve the DPOY. Its kinda ridiculous in my eyes he won it when a guy by the name of Champ Bailey didn't win it the 2 times he should have.
And Sanders does not deserve HOF, like I've said before, Steve Atwater was a premier safety in the league and nobody talks about him being in the HOF. Atwater was a top 5 safety virtually every year.

Because he was never elite, just benefited by performing "pretty good" for a number of years.

Well of course he does based on stats right now. I was attempting to look into the crystal ball a little bit. I like Taylor, but it's debatable whether he was ever a top 5 back in the NFL at any point in his career.

I agree, when I look at a potential HOFer, I want to see him be elite, one of the top backs in the league during his playing days, and Taylor was not.

I'm sure his string of 1300 yards or more earlier in his career would classify him as a top 5 back...hell, one could argue he was a top 5 back this season...his rookie season he rushed for 1400 yards and 12 touchdowns....

1 Pro Bowl season, 1 All Pro season. Thats it. He had 3, maybe 4 good seasons, but other than that, I would say "average" by backs these days.
But in nearly every season, he was outclassed by better RB's putting up bigger numbers because they were better.
And also, he has had a small number of touchdowns. 10 years, 65ish touchdowns I believe. Terrell Davis had 60 in 4 seasons. Really shows you how great TD was.

Dam8610
03-29-2008, 04:08 PM
hell, one could argue he was a top 5 back this season...

LaDainian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson
Brian Westbrook
Jamal Lewis
Willis McGahee
Joseph Addai
Ryan Grant

Who was Fred Taylor better than on that list in 2007?

ChezPower4
03-29-2008, 04:17 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson
Brian Westbrook
Jamal Lewis
Willis McGahee
Joseph Addai
Ryan Grant

Who was Fred Taylor better than on that list in 2007?

I hope that your not implying that all of those RBs are going to make the hall of fame.

Dam8610
03-29-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry, but Sanders did not deserve the DPOY. Its kinda ridiculous in my eyes he won it when a guy by the name of Champ Bailey didn't win it the 2 times he should have.

Champ Bailey? Seriously? Are you a Broncos fan or something? I understand an argument for Albert Haynesworth or maybe even Jared Allen, but Champ Bailey? He's a CB, and while he does take away one WR from the offense MOST of the time (not all the time like Deion Sanders, just most of the time), all teams had to do against the Broncos last year was run the ball and they'd be victorious. They had NOTHING upfront. That's part of the reason Bob won the DPOY. The Colts' run defense improved by about 1 YPC and 75 YPG this past season, the pass defense was one of, if not the, best in the NFL at keeping opponents from completing 20+ yard passes, and the defense as a whole allowed the fewest points in the NFL. Who on the Colts' defense would have the most influence on all 3 of those categories?

And Sanders does not deserve HOF, like I've said before, Steve Atwater was a premier safety in the league and nobody talks about him being in the HOF. Atwater was a top 5 safety virtually every year.

Well, it's a bit too early to determine that (although 2 Pro Bowl appearances, 2 All-Pro selections, and 1 DPOY (one of 2 current NFL safeties to win the award) in 4 NFL seasons is a nice start toward that goal), however being a top 5 safety year in and out doesn't necessarily mean that player should be a HOFer. A good comparison would be teammate Rod Smith, who was consistently one of the best WRs in the NFL. Is he HOF worthy? I don't think so.

Dam8610
03-29-2008, 04:43 PM
I hope that your not implying that all of those RBs are going to make the hall of fame.

I was objecting to the one line that I quoted. Fred Taylor was not by any stretch of the imagination a top 5 RB in the NFL in 2007. Reading the post can help sometimes.

Aftermath
03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Willie Anderson has a shot, been the best RT in the league for some time now.

T-RICH49
03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Gonzo will be.

Yeah where is Gonzo on that list?

P-L
03-29-2008, 05:13 PM
I really think the Hall of Fame is harder to get into than some of you think. They are pretty selective. That said, here is my best guess to the current Hall of Famers.

QB
Tom Brady
Brett Favre (Ok, technically he's not active anymore)
Peyton Manning

RB
Edgerrin James (I think has a little more work to do, but I think he'll get there)
LaDainian Tomlinson

WR
Isaac Bruce (Not sure he's a lock like some others do, but he should get in)
Marvin Harrison
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens

TE
Tony Gonzalez

OL
Larry Allen
Jonathan Ogden
Orlando Pace (Will voters forget about him if he continues to get injured?)
Will Shields

DL
Warren Sapp (I guess, like Favre, he's technically not active anymore)
Michael Strahan

LB
Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher (If he retired today, not sure he'd get in. But I think he'll do enough to get there)

DB
Champ Bailey

I think some guys like Torry Holt and Ed Reed still have to continue to produce to get on the list, but you never know.

Aftermath
03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I really think the Hall of Fame is harder to get into than some of you think. They are pretty selective. That said, here is my best guess to the current Hall of Famers.

QB
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning

RB
Edgerrin James (I think has a little more work to do, but I think he'll get there)
LaDainian Tomlinson

WR
Marvin Harrison
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens

TE
Tony Gonzalez

OL
Larry Allen
Jonathan Ogden
Will Shields

DL
Michael Strahan

LB
Ray Lewis
Brian Urlacher (If he retired today, not sure he'd get in. But I think he'll do enough to get there)

DB
Champ Bailey

I think some guys like Torry Holt and Ed Reed still have to continue to produce to get on the list, but you never know.

You forgot Dawkins?

Dam8610
03-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Why do people think Issac Bruce is a lock? His career is a perfect example of longevity creating what appears to be a great resume. Issac Bruce is the Curtis Martin of WRs.

jth1331
03-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Champ Bailey? Seriously? Are you a Broncos fan or something? I understand an argument for Albert Haynesworth or maybe even Jared Allen, but Champ Bailey? He's a CB, and while he does take away one WR from the offense MOST of the time (not all the time like Deion Sanders, just most of the time), all teams had to do against the Broncos last year was run the ball and they'd be victorious. They had NOTHING upfront. That's part of the reason Bob won the DPOY. The Colts' run defense improved by about 1 YPC and 75 YPG this past season, the pass defense was one of, if not the, best in the NFL at keeping opponents from completing 20+ yard passes, and the defense as a whole allowed the fewest points in the NFL. Who on the Colts' defense would have the most influence on all 3 of those categories?

I wasn't referring to this past season for Champ, but his 2005 and 2006 seasons. 2006 was probably the best season a CB has ever had in over a decade. It was amazing how well he was playing. 2005, he practically won 3 games for the Broncos. Thats incredible for a CB.
And see, Champ Bailey played as big a role for the Broncos defenses that you say Bob Sanders plays for the Colts.
I know some may think I'm foolish for saying this, but I really think the whole East Coast bias came into effect the past 2 years for the award.

JT Jag
03-30-2008, 05:37 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson
Adrian Peterson
Brian Westbrook
Jamal Lewis
Willis McGahee
Joseph Addai
Ryan Grant

Who was Fred Taylor better than on that list in 2007?The last four.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-30-2008, 06:30 PM
I would if winning a superbowl would have made a difference on Strahan making it or not. I know it helps, but if one had to quantify it, I wonder how much winning a superbowl helps him with the hall of fame.

Burns336
03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't understand how a majority of the "These guys are 100% sure fire" posts don't have T.O. on them.

5th most TD's all time
2nd most among receivers
Still going strong.

You can say he's an ass, but there is no way he doesn't make it in. Have you seen the receivers who have made it in? Art Monk, are you kidding me?

bucpimpin
03-31-2008, 11:47 AM

QB
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning

RB
LaDainian Tomlinson

WR
Marvin Harrison
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens

TE
Tony Gonzalez

OL
Larry Allen
Jonathan Ogden
Will Shields

DL
Michael Strahan

LB
Ray Lewis

DB
Champ Bailey

What about Derrick Brooks?

the dude
03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
morten andersen?

BengalsPwn
03-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Are you serious? He was the NFL's leading rusher his first 2 seasons in the league till he had his string of injuries then made a nice come back to a pro bowl level before going to zona. He is still putting up nice numbers behind a terrible line. Peyton Manning wasn't the key to Edge exploding his first 2 years. Why do people think Peyton has been GOD his whole career, granted his a lock to the HOF but he has had his career tailor made for him, had his franchise LT and WR there in place when he got there, plus then has just added weapon after weapon for him with Edge and Wayne. It took them so many years to be good bc they spent so much time handing him the world.

sweetness34
03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Shawn Merriman? you must be joking

If he keeps going at the pace he's at, he'll be there.

kmartin575
03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
If he keeps going at the pace he's at, he'll be there.

Merriman can't hold Derrick Thomas' jock yet it is still taking Thomas longer than it should to get in the HOF.

Bengalsrocket
04-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Are you serious? He was the NFL's leading rusher his first 2 seasons in the league till he had his string of injuries then made a nice come back to a pro bowl level before going to zona. He is still putting up nice numbers behind a terrible line. Peyton Manning wasn't the key to Edge exploding his first 2 years. Why do people think Peyton has been GOD his whole career, granted his a lock to the HOF but he has had his career tailor made for him, had his franchise LT and WR there in place when he got there, plus then has just added weapon after weapon for him with Edge and Wayne. It took them so many years to be good bc they spent so much time handing him the world.

Thats kind of what you do with a team though =/ If you got 1 guy who is a stand out, build a system around him to make him great.

Also, as for the original topic - why is everyone nerd raging because people are putting up guesses?

I mean posting sure-fire future HoFers would get boring after the first page. Part of what the original poster was trying to do is get people's opinions on what the league may look like in a few years.

If he thinks Steven Jackson is going to make the HoF, let him think that. You have no idea if he will or will not, and thats kind of whats fun about a thread like this.

I would like to hope that Carson Palmer makes it the Hall of Fame. He's done a lot for cinci, if our offense gets a running game going maybe he'll put up better stats and be able to compete with Peyton and Brady each year for top tier QB position.

Going over receivers in the league:
T.O. has got to make the HoF. I can't imaging a season will go by in Dallas where Romo doesn't keep him his favorite target, and if he puts the same type of production he'll be in no problem.

Randy Moss set a lot of records, and has just had an overall out standing career. Moss could retire now and make the HoF in my opinion.

I hope Hines Ward makes it. As a cincinnati fan I've kind of grown up watching him over my teenage years and I love his style of play.

Chad Johnson might make it too, though he's got a lot of football left in him to try and prove it. I'd like to see him apologize to cinci fans (yah right) and finish his career here (again, yah right).

Torry Holt is another receiver who's had an amazing career (and still tons left in him). I think if Art Monk made it, it'd be a mistake to leave Torry Holt out. I've seen a lot of people leave this guy off their list and its really depressing. He was not only the fastest receiver to 10,000 yards, but the fastest receiver to 11,000 yards. He's made 7 pro bowls (in like 8-9 years) and currently holds (all time) record for most receiving yards per a game with 84.7 yard average.

Running Backs:

LT obviously, he's the most prolific running back in the league right now.

LJ is a work horse. I don't know how an earlier argument got started about him, but saying that he "won't ever be the same" is ridiculous - you have no idea how is body is going to handle a 400 rushing attempt season. Every player's body takes the many physical demands of football in different ways. If he retired now, would he make the HoF? no, obviously. But he's only been in the league for 4 years, and he just got a big break this season to let his body rest.

Other than that there are a couple guys we really need to see their career play out before even guessing - edge james comes to mind, Fred Taylor too. I'm really excited to see these younger guys' career's play out - like Addai, AP, Laurence Maroney, Marshawn Lynch, Maurice Jones-Drew etc.

I think there are a maltitude of problems with the running back position in this league now:

1) its not rare to find a rusher that can go over 1,000 yards now. It seems like every team has the patience to give these guys the ball enough to just cram it in there till they hit 1,000 yards.

2) I'm not going to say that half back isn't a skill position - but I will say it feels like America is spending a lot of time trying to raise their athletic football enthused sons to be running backs rather than other positions =/ Its like, how many good QB's do you think will come out of this year's draft. I'm not saying they have to be peyton manning - but how many do you think could even be "game managers"? 2? maybe 3-4?

Now how many HB's out of this draft could rush for over 1,000 yards in this league if given a half way decent NFL line? 6? 7-8?

3) The position is so injury prone. Every starting HB gets hurt at least once a year. Maybe just a little bruise or something where they only sit a half a game, but by week 16 you can bet your ass every HB is starting to feel pain.

Now before I rant more about HB, my main point is - its just a really really tough position to judge for the HoF. I think in most cases these guys we see as being "just barely good enough for the HoF" will not make it, because the RB position is so delusional when it comes to stats - Edge james is a perfect example - a lot of people can say he's just had a so-so career because he was really good on the colts, but not so good in arizona.

Anyways I'm done rambling - good night.

vidae
04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Merriman can't hold Derrick Thomas' jock yet it is still taking Thomas longer than it should to get in the HOF.

I think he'll make it soon. I'm hoping anyway.

nfrillman
04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Also, as for the original topic - why is everyone nerd raging because people are putting up guesses?

I mean posting sure-fire future HoFers would get boring after the first page. Part of what the original poster was trying to do is get people's opinions on what the league may look like in a few years.

If he thinks Steven Jackson is going to make the HoF, let him think that. You have no idea if he will or will not, and thats kind of whats fun about a thread like this.

Torry Holt is another receiver who's had an amazing career (and still tons left in him). I think if Art Monk made it, it'd be a mistake to leave Torry Holt out. I've seen a lot of people leave this guy off their list and its really depressing. He was not only the fastest receiver to 10,000 yards, but the fastest receiver to 11,000 yards. He's made 7 pro bowls (in like 8-9 years) and currently holds (all time) record for most receiving yards per a game with 84.7 yard average.

Thank you for understanding the premise of the thread. You have to predict the future a little bit in doing this unless you are just picking guys that would be in if they retired right now, but that would indeed get very boring. Also, I too find it ridiculous how many people don't think Holt will make the HOF. He is the definition of a sure fire HOF'r. Just look at where he ranks all time in many categories, he is also a Superbowl Champion, and is of very high character (which is taken into account for the NFL HOF).