PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith runs in the 4.4s at Pro Day

FinNasty
03-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Smith said he is a “chiseled 217 pounds” now after adding about nine pounds of muscle and felt good after his first of what will several upcoming individual workouts for teams.

“I got some good feedback from the teams,” he said Thursday. “It wasn’t perfect. But if they’re not lying to me they said I did a good job. It was my first one, but I was comfortable.

“I feel like I’ll improve and get better for the later workouts, but I was comfortable in what I was doing. I thought I caught the ball good with only one drop and I think I ran well.”

Smith said he ran a better 40-yard dash time than he did at the NFL Combine last month (4.53) and was clocked between a 4.4 and 4.49 on Thursday.

“I just know I cracked 4.4,” he said. “That was my goal...And I definitely wanted to show them I came out and got better.”

He said he had to adapt to some different type of drills on Thursday, but said overall things turned out well.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/03/ucf-holds-pro-d.html

Also, apparently the Panthers took him out to dinner...

Iamcanadian
03-21-2008, 08:56 AM
It is very rare that pro teams will look at a 40 time from a pro day and use it over a combine time where everybody ran on the same track. Smith is pretty well fixed at his draft position on team's boards, probably a 3rd rounder or maybe very late 2nd round.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I wonder if he had sex with the Panthers. They usually expect that sort of thing after dinner.

etk
03-21-2008, 10:51 AM
http://youtube.com/user/imkevinsmith

Kevin Smith's video blog....he's a little cocky but he seems very smart, dedicated and has some personality. I like his character.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 11:03 AM
http://youtube.com/user/imkevinsmith

Kevin Smith's video blog....he's a little cocky but he seems very smart, dedicated and has some personality. I like his character.

I'm not sure why, but there's something about a draft prospect having a youtube blog talking himself up and whining about not getting "shown love" before the draft, completely turns me off. There goes any interest I had in drafting him.

etk
03-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure why, but there's something about a draft prospect having a youtube blog talking himself up and whining about not getting "shown love" before the draft, completely turns me off.

All he's doing is showing some personality, and he doesn't come across as a "me-first" selfish person so I don't see the problem. He's marketing himself to the public which shows he has a business sense. The cup is always half-empty with you or what?

Turtlepower
03-21-2008, 11:09 AM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/03/ucf-holds-pro-d.html

Also, apparently the Panthers took him out to dinner...

I actually think that Kevin Smith would be a great compliment to Williams in Carolina. He should be available in the 3rd, so it would be a nice pick-up for them.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 11:10 AM
All he's doing is showing some personality, and he doesn't come across as a "me-first" selfish person so I don't see the problem. He's marketing himself to the public which shows he has a business sense. The cup is always half-empty with you or what?
He actually gives himself a "pat on the back", his whole rants are about "shocking the world", and the one about people not showing him enough love I thought was pretty lame. He just comes off like a very insecure and narcissitic person. I realize that this is probably 20-30% of all football players today, but I would prefer to not have those types on my team.

And a buisiness sense? Please...look at the comments on most of them. He looks like an ass. If he had a business sense he would be humble and personable. He would volunteer to help out in New Orleans. OR, he would keep his yap shut, prove himself as an NFL player, and THEN try to market himself. I'm worried about guys that want to play football, not guys that want to get shoe contracts.

The Legend
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure why, but there's something about a draft prospect having a youtube blog talking himself up and whining about not getting "shown love" before the draft, completely turns me off. There goes any interest I had in drafting him.

450 Attemps is a huge turn off to me

Geo
03-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Talk on Kevin Smith is that he's a better player than person. Take from that what you will, if anything.

SuperKevin
03-21-2008, 11:25 AM
If I were DeAngelo Williams I'd feel a little disrespected if the Panthers choose to keep him in a two RB system rather than let him be the clear cut starter.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
If I were DeAngelo Williams I'd feel a little disrespected if the Panthers choose to keep him in a two RB system rather than let him be the clear cut starter.
There are very few teams in the NFL that don't employ a 2 back system. Even LT had Michael Turner.

SuperKevin
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
There are very few teams in the NFL that don't employ a 2 back system. Even LT had Michael Turner.

Michael Turner had very few carries this year. I'm just saying I don't think the Panthers need to spend such a high pick on a second RB right now. They really have needs at LB, DT, TE, and QB

GB12
03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
LT had over 300 carries, Turner had 70. I would not call that a two back system. Every single team in the league uses more than one runningback throughout the game, that doesn't make them all two back systems though. Jacksonville with Fred Taylor and MJD, and Dallas with Barber and whoever else they'll get, among others are two back systems. I do agree that Williams should be paired with someone else though.

I also agree with what you've said on Kevin Smith. This only makes him look like an ass.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I also agree with what you've said on Kevin Smith. This only makes him look like an ass.

I think a lot of pro players make themselves look ridiculous but they do produce results so having a strong ego doesn't seem to mean much, it certainly hasn't made TO or Johnson undesirable commodities.

FinNasty
03-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Kevin Smith is a jokester... he is always playing around. Dont take the stuff too seriously.

He is a big "team" guy. Everytime he was interviewed during the season, the first words to come out of his mouth when asked about his success were about his offensive line. I praised them consistantly. He also was much more into winning the conference championship and the bowl game than he was winning the Doak Walker award...

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I think a lot of pro players make themselves look ridiculous but they do produce results so having a strong ego doesn't seem to mean much, it certainly hasn't made TO or Johnson undesirable commodities.
No it doesn't, but I much more willing to accept narcassitic arrogance when you've actually accomplished something in the pros. It's not so much that though, it's more the commentary about how he felt like he's been underappreciated. It's the same stuff Cedric Benson put out when he felt like people were being too hard on his times. Just shut your mouth. It sends the message of "I know more than you", which in a way you want a player to believe, but not actually come out and say. Especially before the draft.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2008, 03:40 PM
On one hand, I can sorta understand where Smith is coming from. He had a markedly better season than any of the other tailbacks in this class, and is treated as a bit of an afterthought when people are talking about the best backs available.

I've had him ahead of Jonathan Stewart for a while now, I love the way the kid runs. The whining is a bit of a turn-off though, I will admit.

BufFan71
03-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Kevin Smith is a jokester... he is always playing around. Dont take the stuff too seriously.

He is a big "team" guy. Everytime he was interviewed during the season, the first words to come out of his mouth when asked about his success were about his offensive line. I praised them consistantly. He also was much more into winning the conference championship and the bowl game than he was winning the Doak Walker award...

my best friend goes to UCF ans says Kevin Smith is a very funny person, and is always makin people laugh

LonghornsLegend
03-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I love when guys actually have their own personality to them, why does everyone have to be humble and say what you want them to say? Half the time its BS anyway so why does it make people feel better when they hear it? I guess its ok for guys to say its a team first thing, and they want to win, but then go chase money with a traditional loser, but its ok because at least he said the right thing.

I like when guys actually have something to say thats how they really feel, now what their agent wrote down, or whats the traditional answer, I want to know how these guys think and its refreshing when someone goes against the grain or can be himself as long as he's not disrecting anyone, which he hasnt done.

toonsterwu
03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
The translated time would probably be in the mid-4.5's.

A few weeks back, Zierlein had a blurb on his blog on Houston Chron saying that scouts had some concerns with his character. I'll try to dig that up.

Kevin Smith / UCF: "I like the player but not the person. He's got some potentially character issues. I still think he's a good back worthy of a 3rd or 4th, but I like Choice better."

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2008/03/scouts_take_on_rbs_in_the_draf_1.html

Overall, I'm a fan of him as a RB. In terms of draft value, I'd peg him in the mid-3rd/mid-4th right now. With Felix Jones possibly sliding to the 2nd, this could slide several backs down a bit, including Ray Rice and Chris Johnson.

On a side note, I think the Panthers are probably covering bases. They've had a solid offseason. They don't necessarily have to look RB that early, because while Toefield isn't great, he can be a decent backup. Thus, I'd imagine this is only for, at best, their 3rd, and perhaps their 4th.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I love when guys actually have their own personality to them, why does everyone have to be humble and say what you want them to say? Half the time its BS anyway so why does it make people feel better when they hear it? I guess its ok for guys to say its a team first thing, and they want to win, but then go chase money with a traditional loser, but its ok because at least he said the right thing.

I like when guys actually have something to say thats how they really feel, now what their agent wrote down, or whats the traditional answer, I want to know how these guys think and its refreshing when someone goes against the grain or can be himself as long as he's not disrecting anyone, which he hasnt done.
I think it's fine for athletes to be themselves, unfortunately being a narcassistic, insecure little child isn't exactly going against the grain. It just reinforces the athlete, alpha-male stereotype.

http://www.bu.edu/mih/images/Freud.jpg

Now. Tell me about your father.

xooberon
03-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Michael Turner had very few carries this year. I'm just saying I don't think the Panthers need to spend such a high pick on a second RB right now. They really have needs at LB, DT, TE, and QB

i just don't get why people think this

holt_bruce81
03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow, watching Kevin Smith's youtube videos.......he's a talented football player but he needs to stop with the vids.

toonsterwu
03-21-2008, 09:11 PM
i just don't get why people think this

I agree on LB. Landon Johnson/Jon Beason/Thomas Davis should be a solid trio.

TE, well, I think an upgrade could still be had. Whether or not they would is the question.

As for QB, I don't think it's a need in terms of an immediate starter, but bringing in someone to challenge Moore for the QB of the future mantle makes sense at some point.

FinNasty
03-21-2008, 09:39 PM
my best friend goes to UCF ans says Kevin Smith is a very funny person, and is always makin people laugh

I've drank with him before... the kid is HILAROUS...

Hes one of those people that you cant take seriously. He is either openly joking... or he is being sarcastic... and joking...

Like the pat on the back thing... so funny. You would have to understand his personality. He is not serious in those entire videos. He is pretty sarcastic and is never serious...

Dont get me wrong, I'm not boys with him or anything... as cool as that would be! LOL! Just hung out with him and a group of people once before.

It would be pretty sweet if I was boys with him though... I'd be down to be in his entourage... :D

FinNasty
03-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Kevin Smith talking about his Pro Day and Ereck Plancher (Red shirt freshman that collapsed and died 2 days ago during offseason conditioning):

"Former UCF running back Kevin Smith was among those who worked out. He said he was feeling the emotions of being inside the building that Plancher had been in for the last time just 48 hours before.

"I'm still part of the team," Smith said.

"When that thing happened with Ereck, it chiseled me. Ereck helped me in there [Thursday]. I prayed and he looked over me today. I had an angel on my side."

Just to show you guys the other side as well. He isnt some self absorbed piece of crap.

Shere Khan
03-21-2008, 10:30 PM
I wonder if he had sex with the Panthers. They usually expect that sort of thing after dinner.

And if he did have sex with a Panther, was he a 'tiger' in bed?

Get it? Tiger in bed?

Wokka-Wokka!

swollja
03-21-2008, 11:02 PM
And if he did have sex with a Panther, was he a 'tiger' in bed?

Get it? Tiger in bed?

Wokka-Wokka!

no...just...

no

FinNasty
03-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Here are some more videos that will hopefully let you guys see that this kid is just joking around the whole time... and not really serious.

http://www.imkevinsmith.com/video/video/show?id=2028610%3AVideo%3A372
http://www.imkevinsmith.com/video/video/show?id=2028610:Video:662

FinNasty
03-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Here are some more videos that will hopefully let you guys see that this kid is just joking around the whole time... and not really serious.

http://www.imkevinsmith.com/video/video/show?id=2028610%3AVideo%3A372
http://www.imkevinsmith.com/video/video/show?id=2028610:Video:662

Bump for those that didnt see these...

Some of the other videos left a bad taste in some posters mouths... b/c they didnt really understand the humor or intent of the videos...

Just want to clear it up so that he doesnt have a bad repuation on here...

Hes a great kid...

Scott Wright
03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
The translated time would probably be in the mid-4.5's.

Good call Toonster.

Everyone needs to keep that sort of thing in mind when they see everyone is running "4.4's" at the Pro Day's. Personally, unless their are mitigating circumstances I usually go with the time from Indy.

JT Jag
03-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Good call Toonster.

Everyone needs to keep that sort of thing in mind when they see everyone is running "4.4's" at the Pro Day's. Personally, unless their are mitigating circumstances I usually go with the time from Indy.Scott, do you know of any historically SLOW Pro Day tracks?

FinNasty
03-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Good call Toonster.

Everyone needs to keep that sort of thing in mind when they see everyone is running "4.4's" at the Pro Day's. Personally, unless their are mitigating circumstances I usually go with the time from Indy.

Well, it confirms that he isnt a 4.6 guy...

He definitely runs in the 4.5s...

Scott Wright
03-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Scott, do you know of any historically SLOW Pro Day tracks?

Ha, not really. There are just different degrees of fast for the most part. :)

FinNasty
03-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I just dont understand how the surface would be different from what Kevin ran on and what is in Indy?

Kevin ran in an indoor practice facility with the fake turf. In Indy, its an indoor stadium with the fake turf.

He wasnt running on a track? Please get me on the same page...

LonghornsLegend
03-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Im not too worried about his 40 time, he reminds me of Joseph Addai and Barber in that he has great patience and can find the hole...He wont be tearing off many 60 yd runs at the next level but he will consistently move the chains and probably be a workhorse for somebody.

Shere Khan
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
no...just...

no

calm down, dude.

I figured the wokka-wokka would indicate a lot.

tough crowd....sheesh