PDA

View Full Version : 2 Round Mock

GaMeTiMe
03-21-2008, 01:20 PM
1) Miami Dolphins Jake Long | Offensive Tackle | Michigan

Chris Long has been the most popular pick here, but many tend to overlook the fact that Miami may not have a true offensive tackle on their roster, let alone a left tackle.

2) St. Louis Rams Chris Long | Defensive End | Virginia

Its becoming more clear that St. Louis wants to upgrade at defensive end, and they may go with Chris Long or Vernon Gholston even if Jake Long were available.

3) Atlanta Falcons Glenn Dorsey | Defensive Tackle | Louisiana State

Atlanta doesn't even appear to be putting up smokescreens about having interest in Matt Ryan and will likely hold out for a QB in round two, especially if they deal DeAngelo Hall for Oakland's second round pick. Mike Smith wants big bodies up the middle of the defense and if Dorsey proves to be healthy he definitely fits.

4) Oakland Raiders Darren McFadden | Running Back | Arkansas

Vernon Gholston will get a long look here, but when it comes down to it McFadden is the explosive playmaker Al Davis loves and Oakland already invested a ton of money in their defense this off-season.

5) Kansas City Chiefs Ryan Clady | Offensive Tackle | Boise State

Clady, Jeff Otah or any other offensive lineman is certainly a reach here but the Chiefs must find an anchor on the offensive line and Clady is a potential starting left tackle at the next level.

6) New York Jets Vernon Gholston | Defensive End | Ohio State

Calvin Pace got a big contract from the Jets to be a starter at OLB in their 3-4 defense and they hope Bryan Thomas can be a nice starter on the other side, but a 3-4 team can never have enough pass rushers and Gholston may become the best on the team.

7) New England Patriots Derrick Harvey | Defensive End | Florida

New England passes on their need at corner and reaches for Harvey, who fills the need at OLB across from Mike Vrabel

8) Baltimore Ravens Leodis McKelvin | Cornerback | Troy

Baltimore is in need of a quarterback but pass on Matt Ryan here, as they are one of many teams who feel they can find value at QB in round two.

9) Cincinnati Bengals Sedrick Ellis | Defensive Tackle | Southern California

The Bengals tipped their hand after almost acquiring both Shaun Rogers and Dewayne Robertson, but neither deals were finalized.

10) New Orleans Saints Rashard Mendenhall | Running Back | Illinois

The news keeps getting worse for Deuce McAllister, who in this scenario would look like a June 1st cut. Many mocks have New Orleans reaching for a defensive player here, but with no viable options on the board Mendenhall is the pick and makes for a nice compliment to Reggie Bush.

11) Buffalo Bills Limas Sweed | Wide Receiver | Texas

#11 is a bit high to pick any receiver in this class so trading down is probably an option, but whispers about Malcolm Kelly's health causes Buffalo to go with Sweed to be the big receiver they need across from Lee Evans.

12) Denver Broncos Kentwan Balmer | Defensive Tackle | North Carolina

Maybe a reach to some, Balmer may silence critics and prove to be worth this pick down the line. Denver has a gaping hole in the middle of their defense next to Marcus Thomas who continues to get in trouble.

13) Carolina Panthers Matt Ryan | Quarterback | Boston College

This is more of a value pick than one of need, but Ryan helps give the Panthers a long-term answer at quarterback behind Jake Delhomme.

14) Chicago Bears Chris Williams | Offensive Tackle | Vanderbilt

Williams fills a big hole for the Bears outside at tackle, and has potential to play on the left side down the road.

15) Detroit Lions Jonathan Stewart | Running Back | Oregon

Many feel that Stewart will fall out of the top 20, but Detroit needs to solidify their running back situation for the future and Stewart's health is much less of a concern than it is for Kevin Jones, who was a surprise release.

16) Arizona Cardinals Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie | Cornerback | Tennessee State

Antrel Rolle flopped at corner and will be moved to safety, leaving nothing behind Rod Hood and Eric Green who are decent starters at the best.

17) Minnesota Vikings Quentin Groves | Defensive End | Auburn

Groves may not be the every down defensive end Minnesota needs, but is arguably the best on the board and will definitely help them with their lackluster pass-rush.

18) Houston Texans Mike Jenkins | Cornerback | South Florida

Dunta Robinson's health is a concern, and Fred Bennett and Jacques Reeves are questionable starters.

19) Philadelphia Eagles Branden Albert | Offensive Guard | Virginia

The Eagles pass on what may be considered a reach for a receiver here and pick Albert, who can play guard, right tackle, and possibly left tackle down the road. The Birds have enough flexibility on the offensive line to allow him to settle at whatever position he excels at.

20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers Devin Thomas | Wide Receiver | Michigan State

Thomas is raw, but the Bucs can stash him on the bench for a year behind the aging Joey Galloway and Antonio Bryant, who is on a one-year deal.

21) Washington Redskins Keith Rivers | Outside Linebacker | Southern California

Rocky McIntosh isn't as hurt as originally thought and could be ready by training camp but shouldn't be relied on and Rivers is a nice value here.

22) Dallas Cowboys Felix Jones | Running Back | Arkansas

Dallas may be able to get Jones with their second 1st round pick but Jerry Jones jumps on the Arkansas alumni before anyone else can.

23) Pittsburgh Steelers Gosder Cherilus | Offensive Tackle | Boston College

Cherilus has seen his stock rise to about this point, and fills a need on the offensive line for Pittsburgh.

24) Tennessee Titans Phillip Merling | Defensive End | Clemson

Merling has some health concerns but will be a situational end and split time with newly re-acquired Jevon Kearse across from Kyle Vanden Bosch.

25) Seattle Seahawks Dustin Keller | Tight End | Purdue

Seattle has been one of the best teams in the league when it comes to developing WRs and have a few young guys on the roster that can help replace DJ Hackett and Deion Branch, so they instead look at another offensive position of need in tight end.

26) Jacksonville Jaguars Pat Sims | Defensive Tackle | Auburn

Possibly a bit of a reach, but Marcus Stroud is in Buffalo and John Henderson has lost a step.

27) San Diego Chargers Kenny Phillips | Safety | Miami (FL)

San Diego needs a thumper next to Eric Weddle at safety after releasing disappointing Marlon McCree, and Phillips qualifies.

28) Dallas Cowboys Antoine Cason | Cornerback | Arizona

Dallas has shown some interest in the rising Cason who makes sense as an initial nickelback behind Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry.

29) San Francisco 49ers (f/IND) Jeff Otah | Offensive Tackle | Pittsburgh

San Francisco needs some stability at offensive tackle after "losing" Kwame Harris to Oakland.

30) Green Bay Packers Aquib Talib | Cornerback | Kansas

Al Harris and Charles Woodson are a nice starting duo, but there is not much depth behind them and Talib is a great value pick here

31) New England Patriots - Forfeited

32) New York Giants Reggie Smith | Defensive Back | Oklahoma

James Butler was disappointing as a starter for the Giants last year, which was very nicely masked by their amazing pass rush. Smith can push Butler to start at the very least, and possibly start in '09 over stopgap Sammy Knight, all while providing depth at cornerback.

33) Miami Dolphins - Joe Flacco | Quarterback | Delaware

The Fins get their stud left tackle #1 overall, and get the franchise quarterback they passed on in Flacco.

34) St. Louis Rams - DeSean Jackson | Wide Receiver | California

The Rams grab DeSean Jackson to supplement the tall Drew Bennett across from Tory Holt following the release of Issac Bruce

35) Atlanta Falcons (f/OAK) - Brian Brohm | Quarterback | Louisville

I fully expect Atlanta to try and package some of their second round picks to move up into the late-first and grab a signal caller like Flacco or Brohm, but if they feel they can wait on Brohm he definitely can fall to this spot.

36) Kansas City Chiefs - Malcolm Kelly | Wide Receiver | Oklahoma

A colossal fall for Kelly, who's inability to work out has many questioning the stability of his knees.

37) New York Jets - Dan Connor | Inside Linebacker | Penn State

Connor helps to replace Jonathan Vilma next to David Harris inside in the Jets 3-4

38) Atlanta Falcons - Chilo Rachal | Offensive Guard | Southern California

Rachal fits Atlanta's power-running scheme and can help pave the way for Michael Turner

39) Baltimore Ravens - Chad Henne | Quarterback | Michigan

The Ravens still have a need to fill at quarterback after passing on Matt Ryan in the first round.

40) San Francisco 49ers - Cliff Avril | Defensive End | Purdue

Avril is a bit of a reach here but many defensive ends have come out of Purdue and become successful pass-rushers at the next level and San Francisco needs someone to come off the edge.

41) New Orleans Saints - Patrick Lee | Cornerback | Auburn

The Saints have tried to get by with mediocre free agent signings at corner, so it is time to infuse some youth.

42) Buffalo Bills - Calais Campbell | Defensive End | Miami (FL)

Buffalo will take a long look at some of the tight ends on the board here, but can't pass on Campbell who will help in a rotation at defensive end

43) Denver Broncos - Sam Baker | Offensive Tackle | Southern California

The Broncos hope Ryan Harris can help at left tackle, but Baker provides insurance at the very worst if he fails to do so

44) Carolina Panthers - Trevor Laws | Defensive Tackle | Notre Dame

Kris Jenkins was dealt to the Jets and Damione Lewis is hardly starting material

45) Chicago Bears - James Hardy | Wide Receiver | Indiana

Brandon Lloyd is no lock to make the team, Marty Booker is the weakest #1 receiver in the league, and Mark Bradley is hardly a sure thing. Hardy provides some youth, depth and stability to the Chicago receiver corps.

46) Detroit Lions - Curtis Lofton | Inside Linebacker | Oklahoma

Detroit has been looking for a stud inside linebacker all off-season and finds their man here with Lofton.

47) Cincinnati Bengals - Jerod Mayo | Inside Linebacker | Tennessee

Mayo can play the middle or weakside, giving the Bengals young competition at the least for both Ahmad Brooks and Dhani Jones.

48) Minnesota Vikings - John Carlson | Tight End | Notre Dame

The Vikings just gave Visanthe Shiancoe a big deal in free agency, but are able to quickly admit their mistake by drafting the all-around talented Carlson to push him to start.

49) Atlanta Falcons - Brandon Flowers | Cornerback | Virginia Tech

The Virginia Tech connection will raise some eyebrows after Michael Vick's problems and DeAngelo Hall being dealt, but Flowers doesn't seem to have any serious baggage attached to him and will replace the aforementioned Hall.

50) Philadelphia Eagles - Earl Bennett | Wide Receiver | Vanderbilt

With Mario Manningham still on the board, the Eagles go for a different type of receiver in Bennett, someone they've shown a lot of early interest in. Bennett is a dual-threat, also helping a bit on returns, another area of need for Philly.

51) Arizona Cardinals - Tashard Choice | Running Back | Georgia Tech

Choice is higher on many team's draft boards than people think, and while he's not as quick as guys like Chris Johnson or Jamaal Charles, he is an all-around good runner who can help backup and eventually replace Edgerrin James.

52) Washington Redskins - Lawrence Jackson | Defensive End | Southern California

Jackson has some questions about him, but the Skins need depth at defensive end at the very least.

53) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Anthony Collins | Offensive Tackle | Kansas

With hardly any needs at all, Tampa Bay takes a flier on Collins, a left tackle project with a high ceiling.

54) Pittsburgh Steelers - Early Doucet | Wide Receiver | Louisiana State

Big Ben may be looking for more of a James Hardy type, but shouldn't complain about Doucet as his "big" receiver. Despite being only 6'0, Doucet has a solid frame and has the intangibles the Steelers look for.

55) Tennessee Titans - Mario Manningham | Wide Receiver | Michigan

The Titans have a ton of young receivers on the roster who will be fighting for only a few spots, but Manningham is a talent they simply can't pass on here.

56) Seattle Seahawks - Carl Nicks | Offensive Tackle | Nebraska

Nicks can provide insurance inside at guard behind aging starters Mark Wahle and Chris Gray, and can possibly be in the mix to start at left tackle once Walter Jones calls it quits.

57) Green Bay Packers (f/CLE) - Fred Davis | Tight End | Southern California

A bit of a fall here for Davis, who will help backup and supplement starter Donald Lee

58) Miami Dolphins (f/SD) - Justin King | Cornerback | Penn State.

King helps provide depth and competition across from Will Allen in Miami.

59) Jacksonville Jaguars - Chris Ellis | Defensive End | Virginia Tech

Ellis isn't an elite end by any means but should help to replace Bobby McCray and could even push Reggie Hayward off the roster.

60) Indianapolis Colts - Chris Johnson | Running Back | East Carolina

Johnson helps provide insurance for Joseph Addai, and gives the Colts an extra option for the slot once Marvin Harrison moves on.

61) Green Bay Packers - DaJuan Morgan | Safety | North Carolina State

The Packers have invested a lot of draft picks in the safety position, but none of them have been anything too special and Morgan is a nice value here.

62) Dallas Cowboys - Lavelle Hawkins | Wide Receiver | California

Terry Glenn may be seeing his final days in the league and should be passing the starting job to Patrick Crayton, but Hawkins will help in the slot and could even push Crayton a bit more than some may expect.

63 New England Patriots - Charles Godfrey | Cornerback | Iowa

Godfrey can play both corner and safety, something the Patriots value. He figures to push to start at corner as a rookie in New England.

64) New York Giants - Tracy Porter | Cornerback | Indiana

A nice value here for the Giants who continue to build their secondary early in the draft.

Scotty D
03-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Honestly after what we went through with Kevin Jones I don't feel Stewart is the best pick for us or that management will go that direction. Also Mayo is probably a better fit at MIKE for us than Lofton.

d34ng3l021
03-21-2008, 01:25 PM
1. Dorsey. Good pick and good explanation. I dont mind him or Ryan.
2. Brohm. Great pick. Love it.
2. The USC Guard. Guard is not a top priority. We need to shore up our OL for Brohm and Turner and should look to go OL in the top of the 2nd. I would be surprised if we didnt get OT with one of our 3 2nd round picks.
2. Justin King. Terrible pick. The reason Hall was let go so easily was because he will most likely not fit our scheme. Hall is a man to man guy, and so is King. We will most likely be switching over to a Cover 2 type team.

Turtlepower
03-21-2008, 01:31 PM
How about Porter instead of Henderson in the second?

SmarterThanU
03-21-2008, 01:35 PM
23) Pittsburgh Steelers Gosder Cherilus | Offensive Tackle | Boston College

Cherilus has seen his stock rise to about this point, and fills a need on the offensive line for Pittsburgh.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/ot.html
5th OT behind Long, CLady, Otah, and Williams

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008OT.php
7th OT behind Long, Clady, Williams, Otah, Nicks and Baker!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=C4C214D857328F23B49903DA0CE2BCC7? id=09000d5d80406b71&template=with-video&confirm=true
5th OT

Obviously a bunch of bull. If you think Cherilus is going to go ahead of Jeff Otah that's one thing but otherwise his stock isn't rising on any boards. So bad pick in my opinion and a bunch of bull.

54) Pittsburgh Steelers - Shawn Crable | Outside Linebacker | Michigan

The Steelers re-unite Crable with former Wolverine and fellow second-round pick LaMarr Woodley. Crable helps as a third OLB in Pittsburgh's 3-4.

I wish Hardy would of fell and I'm not too upset at the Crable pick. Probably another reach and with Flowers still on the board I believe they'd go that route. But if they decide to move Timmons to ILB I could see an OLB taken. So not good but not horrible either.

hugegmenfan
03-21-2008, 01:50 PM
fabulous giants draft---turtle power stated above that tracy porter might be better which i agree with. i would be very very conflicted if porter and henderson were both there in the 2nd.

Turtlepower
03-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I just feel our OLB need is overstated. We lost a 15 game below-average starter and a back-up to FA. I don't really think that OLB should be touched unless someone falls into our hand.

vidae
03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
I like the Chiefs draft. I would not mind Clady at 5 and Manningham is an interesting pick. WR is a need, but I'm not sure it's as big as CB. I'd prefer Chilo Rachal or Brandon Flowers there, but I won't complain at a WR. :)

Good overall mock.

hugegmenfan
03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
I just feel our OLB need is overstated. We lost a 15 game below-average starter and a back-up to FA. I don't really think that OLB should be touched unless someone falls into our hand.

but who knows if kiwi can really play WLB, I have always thought he is better suited at DE and if he struggles at OLB, we have a big hole. I love Wilkinson, he showed a lot last year and i think hes a very legit starter but for depth and insurance on kiwi, henderson is not a bad choice, although i have porter as my #3 CB in this draft

OSUGiants17
03-21-2008, 02:03 PM
great giants draft

Thunder&Lightning
03-21-2008, 02:49 PM
amazing chargers pick

BeerBaron
03-21-2008, 03:34 PM
ugh...ok so the bears.

i think alberts a little bit of a risky reach at 14 because i question his OT potential. but with chris williams and mendenhall of the board, ill accept it for now.

and henne......ugh......im so tired of explaining my feelings here. feel free to look up any other mock that sent henne to the bears because im too lazy right now to summon up my rant. just know that i think hes got no pro potential and embodies all the things bad about rex and orton without any of the positives....

Turtlepower
03-21-2008, 03:35 PM
and henne......ugh......im so tired of explaining my feelings here. feel free to look up any other mock that sent henne to the bears because im too lazy right now to summon up my rant. just know that i think hes got no pro potential and embodies all the things bad about rex and orton without any of the positives....

You better vote a lot because it looks like America will be voting for Henne to the Bears on ESPN. =D

scar988
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Atlanta Needs An Ot Not A Og!

BeerBaron
03-21-2008, 03:42 PM
You better vote a lot because it looks like America will be voting for Henne to the Bears on ESPN. =D

really? im dreading the espn first take draft pick......i can almost smell brohm. i dont mind him going to the bears, just not at 14. if we trade down or nab him with out 2nd round, sure.

but henne....i just dont want him anywhere.

BaLLiN
03-21-2008, 05:16 PM
good giants draft, Id definately prefer Porter over Henderson, but either one is a good pick

T-RICH49
03-21-2008, 05:48 PM
ughhh with Ellis on the board KC won't reach for Clady

regoob2
03-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I would much rather have Hardy to the bears in round 2. QB is a big need but Hardy is a much better player and a big receiver is a big need also.

RaiderNation
03-21-2008, 07:05 PM
great raider pick

Cashmoney
03-21-2008, 07:06 PM
We wouldn't trade our trouble making CB just to turn around and take another.

Finsfan79
03-21-2008, 08:45 PM
love the long pick flacco pick is okay Chilo Rachal would be better

fenikz
03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Ouch Choice isn't a good choice(pun intended)

Just not good value Chris Johnson could actually compliment Edge instead of doing nothing for 2 years or so

thebow305
03-22-2008, 12:12 AM
one of worst phins drafts ive seen yet

Yatta!
03-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Amazing Green Bay draft but whats with Mendenhall to the Saints?

Bills2083
03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
1.) Limas Sweed - Great pick
2.) Calais Campbell - OK pick. CB and TE are much larger needs. I'd rather go with Brandon Flowers/Fred Davis here.

GaMeTiMe
03-23-2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/ot.html
5th OT behind Long, CLady, Otah, and Williams

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008OT.php
7th OT behind Long, Clady, Williams, Otah, Nicks and Baker!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=C4C214D857328F23B49903DA0CE2BCC7? id=09000d5d80406b71&template=with-video&confirm=true
5th OT

Obviously a bunch of bull. If you think Cherilus is going to go ahead of Jeff Otah that's one thing but otherwise his stock isn't rising on any boards. So bad pick in my opinion and a bunch of bull.

Bad pick in YOUR opinion, or in the opinion of internet "experts"? Although apparently that's the same exact thing.

That was one of the shallowest, least intelligent responses I've ever gotten. I don't really care how draft websites rank Cherilus. Plus, just because he's the 5th rated OT here doesn't mean he isn't rising. I don't see your point.

Brent
03-23-2008, 06:13 PM
after "losing" Kwame Harris to Oakland
Haha, well put.

SaintsFanForLife
03-23-2008, 07:16 PM
D is a bigger need for the Saints IMO

proshoota25
03-23-2008, 07:33 PM
mckelvin is not a great fit with the pats at all, but godfrey is great

eaglesalltheway
03-24-2008, 07:59 AM
I'm warming up to Devin Thomas, but not enough to pass one Malcolm Kelly (or Sweed) but I really like the second rounder.