PDA

View Full Version : Lofa Tatupu signs a 6 year extension

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 03:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3305560

6 years-40 million-16 million in guarantees.

Clayton (for those that don't want to read it), said that he "knew he could have demanded more money", which I don't agree with at all. It's a fine deal for the Seahawks, but he still had 2 full years left on his rookie contract, and is now making more than Lance Briggs (6 years-36 million), who was on the open market. Linebackers that don't get sacks aren't worth as much in today's market.

bigbluedefense
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
if i was a ruthless GM with no loyalty, i wouldn't resign a MIKE after his rookie contract unless he had Urlacher/Willis like physical ability.

Instinctual smart 4-3 MIKEs are dime a dozen really. I rather get one in the 2nd round than extend one for a lot more.

Easier said then done of course.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Great, this means Al Davis will sign Kirk Morrison to an 8 year, 64 million dollar contract with 25 guaranteed. Thanks a lot Seattle.

kmartin575
03-21-2008, 03:45 PM
In light of recent contracts for players like Javon Walker, Tommy Kelly, Damien Woody, etc. that were all way overpaid how can people actually complain about a team retaining it's own pro bowl player at a reasonable contract? It's rediculous IMO.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Who is complaining about it? And it's ridiculous.

kmartin575
03-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Great, this means Al Davis will sign Kirk Morrison to an 8 year, 64 million dollar contract with 25 guaranteed. Thanks a lot Seattle.

And Thomas Howard is a free agent in the same offseason.

I'm sure i'm not the only one praying for a solution to the salary cap so teams like the Raiders are screwed when the salary cap is still there in a couple of years.

But not sure why this means Morrison would get that much when Lofa Tatupu is the better player.

kmartin575
03-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Who is complaining about it? And it's ridiculous.

Complaining, disagreeing, however you want to put it. People are trying to say this is a bad contract when it pales in comparison to the contracts lesser players have signed with other teams.

PACKmanN
03-21-2008, 03:55 PM
wow thank god we got Nick Barnett locked up last year. I wonder how much it will take to resign AJ Hawk now, oh no.

Addict
03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
wow thank god we got Nick Barnett locked up last year. I wonder how much it will take to resign AJ Hawk now, oh no.

Didn't AJ sign a 5 or 6 year deal two years ago?

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Complaining, disagreeing, however you want to put it. People are trying to say this is a bad contract when it pales in comparison to the contracts lesser players have signed with other teams.
I don't think it's a bad contract, I just disagree with Clayton that he could have gotten more. He signed it with two full years left on his original deal, and is still making more than Lance Briggs (who is at worst his equal). It's a fine deal, but in comparing him to someone like Julian Peterson, Peterson is a more valuable player, and was a free agent. It's just sad that Clayton wouldn't take any of that into account.

PACKmanN
03-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Didn't AJ sign a 5 or 6 year deal two years ago?

yeah and with contracts going up, I am getting worried about the day we have to extend it.

no love
03-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Clayton (for those that don't want to read it), said that he "knew he could have demanded more money", which I don't agree with at all. It's a fine deal for the Seahawks, but he still had 2 full years left on his rookie contract, and is now making more than Lance Briggs (6 years-36 million), who was on the open market. Linebackers that don't get sacks aren't worth as much in today's market.

Great signing for the seachickens. And I do think that he could have signed for more. I have to disagree that LB's who don't get sacks aren't worth that much, because he is a MLB in the 4-3 and he can make plays in other areas. He's not really utilized as a blitzer bc he has other responsibilities and they have players who already fit that role, so to say that he doesn't get sacks, doesn't mean that he couldn't if they used him more in that role. But the seahawks already have Peterson, Tapp Kearney and Rocky Bernard to rush the passer.

Tatupu averaged 115 tackles, nearly 10 pd's, 2 sacks a year, to go along with 5 ff's and 8 ints in the last 3 years. Those are a lot of game changing plays. I'll take his turn over and pass defensed numbers in the last 3 years over a high sack total any day.

bearsfan_51
03-21-2008, 04:04 PM
They aren't financially worth much, I'm not talking about on the field value. The #'s back that up. Calvin Pace got more money this year than Lance Briggs, why do you think that is?

DragonFireKai
03-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm sure i'm not the only one praying for a solution to the salary cap so teams like the Raiders are screwed when the salary cap is still there in a couple of years.

I honestly think that Al Davis thinks he'll be dead before the cap hit cripples the Raiders, and ergo wants to go out with the team on top.

kmartin575
03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I honestly think that Al Davis thinks he'll be dead before the cap hit cripples the Raiders, and ergo wants to go out with the team on top.

Unfortunately for them they are still not the best team in the division much less the NFL. San Diego has actually been able to draft their talent and therefore is paying less for players that are better.

XxXdragonXxX
03-21-2008, 09:05 PM

The fact that Lofa isn't even the highest paid LB on his team make sme think he could have demanded a lot more money, and Ruskell would have given it to him. He's making less money than a guy that signed his contract 2 years ago (Julian Peterson.)

BigDawg819
03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
They aren't financially worth much, I'm not talking about on the field value. The #'s back that up. Calvin Pace got more money this year than Lance Briggs, why do you think that is?

ManGenius has lost his fricken mind?

SaintsFanForLife
03-21-2008, 09:50 PM
IMO he is worth more money. But what a steal for the seahawks. Great move.

d34ng3l021
03-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I wish the Falcons could hurry up and sign Boley. I am getting scared.

defensiveback23
03-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Merriman is going to get an insane deal in a couple years. The Chargers will have to re-sign him, McNeil, Rivers, Cromartie, Castillo and Jackson among others so I think they might have to tag him if he's asking for too much.

GB12
03-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Hawk's already making $37.5 and we have him under contract for 4 more years. It's not like this signing affects us in anyway what so ever.

Geo
03-21-2008, 11:33 PM

Not sure he's making more than Briggs, considering it being an extension and the last two years of his rookie contract remain - although surely money was moved around, namely him receiving right now new money from this extension. Let's say the total is 8 years, 41.5M .. that's less than Briggs on a per average level. Which is fitting.

Either way, good deal for the Seahawks. And for Tatupu, who I am a big big fan of. Ever since 2005, when I was in favor of him being ROTY over Merriman. He's been a big addition to the Seahawks defense, as the starting MLB since day one and as a leader, though he doesn't get the pub thanks to playing in Seattle. He's started for three years, proved himself, and the Seahawks wisely rewarded him.

GB12
03-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Not sure he's making more than Briggs, considering it being an extension and the last two years of his rookie contract remain - although surely money was moved around, namely him receiving right now new money from this extension. Let's say the total is 8 years, 41.5M .. that's less than Briggs on a per average level. Which is fitting.

Either way, good deal for the Seahawks. And for Tatupu, who I am a big big fan of. Ever since 2005, when I was in favor of him being ROTY over Merriman. He's been a big addition to the Seahawks defense, as the starting MLB since day one and as a leader, though he doesn't get the pub thanks to playing in Seattle. He's started for three years, proved himself, and the Seahawks wisely rewarded him.
Are you kidding me?

Geo
03-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Um, no? :p

Playing in Seattle hurts him and almost every other player, except for maybe a few you can count with one hand (ex. Hasselbeck, Alexander). They're almost non-existant in terms of recognition, the Seahawks might have the best starting linebacker core in the league and who on Earth would know it.

Because they play for a team way out there in the midwest who don't really do anything of incredible merit to overcome that, and to be fair, the Seahawks were frauds last year - I hope I am remembering this right, but they didn't beat a team with a winning record since Arizona in Week 2 until the playoff win against the Redskins. And despite getting two gift Ryan Grant fumbles turned into an early two touchdown lead, the Packers smoked them in the playoffs.

You don't think this is true, GB?

Nitschke-Hawk
03-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Well they don't get mentioned a lot in articles and tv shows, but if we're talking popularity Lofa's made 3 Pro Bowls already and Peterson's there almost every year. If anything you could say a team like Green Bay has been getting a low amount of attention. Nick Barnett arguably should've made te Pro Bowl over Tatupu each year, but he hasn't.

nobodyinparticular
03-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Unfortunately for them they are still not the best team in the division much less the NFL. San Diego has actually been able to draft their talent and therefore is paying less for players that are better.

I'm sorry, what do you call Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Tommy Kelly, Ronald Curry, Jerry Porter, Zach Miller, Nnamdi Asomugha and Justin Fargas?

It is ridiculous to say that a team needs to use only the draft for their players. Even the Patriots make outside moves. (Harrison, Colvin, Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, Seau, A. Thomas, Vrabel, etc.) Those are 9 key players right there, including their top 4 WRs and 4 of their top 5 LBs.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2008, 05:44 PM
What are you talking about? He would have been under contract for the next two years either way, thus when talking about the deal, you're talking about what's added on to it. The Seahawks just purchased his services for an additional 6 years at 41 million overall and 16 million guaranteed. That's more than the Bears paid for Briggs for the next 6 years. The fact that the Hawks actually had Lofa by the nuts for the next two years should have actually decreased his overall gain, not lessened it. There's no other way of looking at it.

MasterShake
03-22-2008, 05:50 PM
What are you talking about? He would have been under contract for the next two years either way, thus when talking about the deal, you're talking about what's added on to it. The Seahawks just purchased his services for an additional 6 years at 41 million overall and 16 million guaranteed. That's more than the Bears paid for Briggs for the next 6 years. The fact that the Hawks actually had Lofa by the nuts for the next two years should have actually decreased his overall gain, not lessened it. There's no other way of looking at it.

Yeah, thats how the 49ers had Frank Gore. They were able to lock him in at 5 mil per year, which was under his market value, due to controlling his rights for 2 more years.

LonghornsLegend
03-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Merriman is going to get an insane deal in a couple years. The Chargers will have to re-sign him, McNeil, Rivers, Cromartie, Castillo and Jackson among others so I think they might have to tag him if he's asking for too much.

Same goes for Ware in Dallas, but regardless of the market I dont think certain guys will be let go...Id like to think the Chargers will pay up for Merriman as im sure Dallas will do with Ware pretty soon.

Certain guys I think teams will find a way to pony up the cash for.

Geo
03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm talking about dollars and ... well, many more dollars rather than cents. Tatupu is signed through 2015, at 42M plus the remainder of his rookie contract - which probably puts the total around 43.5M.

43.5/8 < 36/6.

bearsfan_51
03-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah except to include the years remaining on his rookie contract is totally arbitrary and makes no sense. We are comparing the two deals. He was already under contract, so his new deal has nothing to do with with his rookie contract, other than it was a negotiating tool for the Seahawks.

Geo
03-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Agree to rarely disagree, I suppose. The fact that this is an extension as opposed to a whole new deal is very important, because Tatupu isn't worth 6 years/42M imo. But 43.5M or 44M over 8 years, he is.

Though I'll agree that if he had probably played out his contract, he might have received more than 6 years/42M on the open market in 2010. With the way contracts are increasing in line with the cap.

Some guys take the security of a new deal now.

Primetime21
03-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Good to see he is gonna be a lifetime hawk. Leader of our defense and is worth every penny.

Komp
03-24-2008, 09:49 AM
I personally think Tatupu is a bit overrated but when you see most of the Seahawk fans applauding the deal its hard to argue against it. I see where BF51 is coming from in terms of having two years remaining on his rookie contract, but who knows how ridiculous the FA market will be in 2 years. Since they did not pay through their nose and kept a player they like you have to say it is a good signing.

Splat
03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Id like to think the Chargers will pay up for Merriman as im sure Dallas will do with Ware pretty soon.

I would be down right shocked if either hits the FA market I could see either one getting tagged but thats all.

The Legend
03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Contract seems fair glad for both of them