PDA

View Full Version : If available, will Kansas City take Matt Ryan?

ChosenOne
03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm making a new, very in-depth mock draft, but I'm kind of stuck.

I have the first four picks and explanations done, but I'm stuck at Kansas City.

I have Matt Ryan still available, and by how many Chief-affiliated workers were at his Pro Day, do you think they would take him if he dropped that far?

If needed, here are the first four picks.

1. Miami: Jake Long
2. St. Louis: Chris Long
3. Atlanta: Glenn Dorsey
4. Oakland: Darren McFadden

bspen4
03-21-2008, 08:57 PM
They would take Sedrick Ellis IMO to help make a good defense great

iloxygenil
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
I think it's a good possibility, would it be their best choice, not by a long shot, but it's a possibility. I think at #5 with those picks being the ones taken they'd have to look at a guy like Gholston and Clady and see which of those 3 (Ryan included) they liked the most. I don't think Ryan is worth at top 5 pick not even top 10, so no real need to press for a QB, but KC could use someone if they're not in love with Alabama's rock star.

toonsterwu
03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
If they feel Ryan is a franchise QB, and I don't think any of us know how they really feel, but if they do, then I think the answer is yes based on that board. If not, it'll likely be OT there, whether it's Clady or Otah, with Otah the better fit but needing to have a good workout (which Clady has had already).

Flyboy
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
EDIT: I'm a ******* ******.

BaLLiN
03-21-2008, 09:28 PM
It wouldn't be too smart, i dont think they'd do it, Croyle still has time

vidae
03-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I think the pick in that situation would be Ellis or Clady/Otah. They had the most representatives at the BC pro-day though, with both Herm and Carl Peterson (GM) in attendance.

That being said, I don't think Ryan will be the pick unless they're absolutely sure that he's a franchise guy. In the last 25 years, the Chiefs have had 3 top 5 picks and they've chosen wisely with all 3.

There is no telling what they'll do because Carl Peterson is crazy, but would it be shocking if they picked Ryan? No. Do I want that to happen? No. I'd go Ellis or Clady.

I just rambled a lot. Hope anything I said helps!

Iamcanadian
03-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Of course each NFL team will have Ryan ranked differently, but if KC likes Ryan, it's a no brainer. Croyle is extremely slight for a QB and could never stay healthy at Alabama nevermind the far tougher NFL. So it would be very tough for them to pass on Ryan.

BPhilb
03-22-2008, 12:39 AM
I truely believe KC wants out of this pick very badly and they are doing everything possible to create intrest. They speak so highly of Croyle here that I don't see them going in another direction and Edwards and Peterson have both been put on notice from the new owners. If they stay I'm guessing the take Clady as he is the only guy in the top 10 to 12 prospects that they haven't been linked to.

Scott Wright
03-22-2008, 01:26 AM
If I were them I'd definitely consider it assuming Jake Long is gone.

tjjohnson98
03-22-2008, 01:42 AM
I truely believe KC wants out of this pick very badly and they are doing everything possible to create intrest. They speak so highly of Croyle here that I don't see them going in another direction and Edwards and Peterson have both been put on notice from the new owners. If they stay I'm guessing the take Clady as he is the only guy in the top 10 to 12 prospects that they haven't been linked to.

I mostly agree with this... any team as inactive in FA as the Chiefs and wanting to build their team almost solely through the draft has to be trying to pick up more picks. Creating the perception that they could take almost anyone at #5 makes more teams likely to trade up. Carl plays games perhaps more than any GM in the NFL, and so I don't take anything that comes out of KC at face value.

With that said, I think that they have shown enough ways that Croyle is their guy that I believe it. And if you feel that way, you have to give "your guy" a legit chance, which Croyle hasn't yet had. So no, I don't think they take Ryan, I think they try to trade down with Baltimore.

If forced to stay put, I honestly think that KC will take Ellis. #5 is too high for Clady or Otah, and Herm knows the kind of impact a star DT can have on his defense. They can get guys like Collins or Nicks later in the draft, so I would say they take Ellis to solidify the DL.

Cashmoney
03-22-2008, 02:19 AM
I feel as if they'll give Brodie Croyle one more season. IMO they'd probably take the best o-lineman on their board at that point or Sedrick Ellis assuming they didn't trade down.

villagewarrior
03-22-2008, 02:32 AM
I would be very surprised if the Chiefs were in fact interested in drafting Ryan. I think Cherilus may have been the main reason they were out there, and they dragged the QB coach out to kick up the smokescreen as well. I think they'd prefer to trade out, but if they have to pick at 5 I think they will take a tackle, either Clady or Otah.

Wyndham
03-22-2008, 04:52 AM
They like Brodie Croyle, and it's not fair to judge him on such a small sample. I'm sure they feel the same. He started only six games last year, and that was in an offense with the worst running game in the NFL, largely thanks to the worst offensive line in the NFL. And it's not as if his receivers were great -- only D-Bowe and Tony Gonzalez can be considered anything better than average. He had six TDs and six picks, and his completion percentage was 56.7% - the same as Peyton Manning's in his rookie season.

If it was possible (which it probably won't be), the Chiefs would like to solidify the O-line to the point where it's at least competent, develop another receiver to go along with D-Bowe, Gonzalez and Darling, and return Larry Johnson from injury so that defenses actually have to worry about something other than the two receiving threats. Give Croyle 16 games to show his stuff with that cast, and if he can improve and show some strong signs - great, he may be the guy. They could continue to build around him with another collection of high draft picks in 2009. If not, they'll grab a true franchise guy as soon as possible. From what we as fans understand, Ryan isn't the guy that KC will regret passing on for all eternity. (If he was, none of the teams above KC would pass on him.)

In this scenario, I think the options are clearly defined: (1) Trade down, even if they don't get true value, and take the best O-lineman available, or (2) take Sedrick Ellis.

Splat
03-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I believe the Chiefs would like Long,Dorsey or Ellis in that order if all three are gone they will try to trade down IMO if they can't then and only then could I see them taking Ryan.

Iamcanadian
03-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Has anybody here ever seen Coyle up close, he is rail thin and an injury just waiting to happen. He will be nothing but a career backup. Kansas City has to be looking at Ryan just in case Atlanta passes on him.

neko4
03-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Theyd be complete idiots if they did. Croyle, IMO, looked good without much of an oline, with out Larry Johnson, and with only 2 good recievers. If Croyle some help and he'll look good. Also i dont believe he missed a game, so hopefuly he'll get over the injury bug

hugegmenfan
03-22-2008, 09:23 AM
The Chiefs sent the most representatives to Matt Ryans Pro Day according to NFL Network...thats gotta be an indication

Splat
03-22-2008, 09:38 AM
The Chiefs sent the most representatives to Matt Ryans Pro Day according to NFL Network...thats gotta be an indication

http://kan.scout.com/2/738698.html

"Ryan was not the only player at BCs Pro Day the Chiefs were interested in. Offensive tackle Gosder Cherilus (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3176809), who Kansas City spent time with at both the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine, was present. After losing out on free agent center Justin Hartwig late Tuesday afternoon, the team is still searching for three starters along the offensive line."

NIN1984
03-22-2008, 09:50 AM
In my mock I'm working on right now I have the Chiefs taking Matt Ryan, if Carl Peterson is committed to Herm Edwards and is going to be give him more time to build this team, I think KC will take Matt Ryan and that's of course if they feel he is a franchise type QB, which we don't know.

vidae
03-22-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm a lot higher on Croyle than a lot of people are. Even higher on him that a lot of Chiefs fans are.

You can't judge a developing QB when the offensive line was as bad as it was. Allowing 55 sacks is just garbage. Rebuild the line, protect the QB. If he had a competent offensive line, which we didn't have, or if LJ was healthy, which he wasn't, I think he could be a solid QB.

Also, about the injury concerns: you keep your QB off the ground and he won't be injured.

Thunder&Lightning
03-22-2008, 10:34 AM
IMO they should give Brody Croyle one more year.

Addict
03-22-2008, 10:34 AM
I like Brodie Croyle and he deserves at least a fair chance at being the starter. The chiefs lost 2 HOF linemen, and they'll need to replace them pronto in order to have a chance at being a contender again. Their best chances lie maybe in trading down to 9 or 10, since Ellis and Gholston are still available in this scenario, there should be someone willing to hand them good value for the #5. that way they could possibly go for Clady, Otah or Williams.

BaLLiN
03-22-2008, 10:53 AM
They could get a player later in the draft that wouldn't be that far behind Ryan's skills IMO

vidae
03-22-2008, 10:56 AM
They could get a player later in the draft that wouldn't be that far behind Ryan's skills IMO

I agree, and that's really a big part of the argument I have against taking Ryan at #5.

Young Nasty Man
03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
joe flacco or henne in kc is wat i think

neko4
03-22-2008, 01:59 PM
they shouldnt get a QB at all. Seriously what for? The line may have been the worst in the NFL. The runningback was Kolby Smith. And outside of Bowe and Gonzalez was nothing. Drafting another QB will help nothing. That pick could get spent on a lineman or WR or defensive player

Splat
03-22-2008, 02:06 PM
they shouldnt get a QB at all. Seriously what for? The line may have been the worst in the NFL. The runningback was Kolby Smith. And outside of Bowe and Gonzalez was nothing. Drafting another QB will help nothing. That pick could get spent on a lineman or WR or defensive player

I look for us to draft another QB but not on the first day we do have 10 draft picks as of now.

vidae
03-22-2008, 02:40 PM
I think we'll definitely take a QB in this draft, I just hope it isn't before the 5th or 6th round. Like Splat said, we have 10 picks (an extra 5th, 6th, and 7th) but our needs are so much greater at OL, CB and WR in that order. DT is a need, but not as big as those three.

I don't put anything past Carl Peterson though.

03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
With the large contingent on hand for his pro day you would have to think so atleast. Jake Long will surely be gone but not so certain both stud DTs Dorsey and Ellis will be as well.

Addict
03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I look for us to draft another QB but not on the first day we do have 10 draft picks as of now.

Maybe Kyle Wright of Nebraska?

SaintsMan
03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
If Jake Long is gone and Matt Ryan isn't in the Chiefs future plans, I wouldn't mind the Saints trading up to #5 with #10 and #41. KC can get Jeff Otah or Ryan Clady at 10, a CB and WR with their 2 2nd rounders. Saints would take Glenn Dorsey if he falls that far or Sedrick Ellis.

Yung Flippa
03-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Maybe Kyle Wright of Nebraska?

Kyle Wright is from The U.
Are you thinking Sam Keller from Nebraska?

ChosenOne
03-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks for your opinions guys, I have decided to give the Chiefs Sedrick Ellis.

eazyb81
03-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Brodie Croyle didn't exactly have the best supporting cast last year to make a great impression, but does anyone here really think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl QB? At best, I think he could be an adequate, league-average starter.

This league is more of a QB league than ever before, and the common theory is you should never pass on a potential franchise QB if you currently don't have one. KC can gamble on Croyle developing into a decent QB, or they can take a chance on a QB that many believe could be a franchise guy.

If Jake Long is there they have to take him, but I couldn't fault the choice of Matt Ryan if Long is off the board.

vidae
03-22-2008, 04:46 PM
If Jake Long is gone and Matt Ryan isn't in the Chiefs future plans, I wouldn't mind the Saints trading up to #5 with #10 and #41. KC can get Jeff Otah or Ryan Clady at 10, a CB and WR with their 2 2nd rounders. Saints would take Glenn Dorsey if he falls that far or Sedrick Ellis.

I'm not sure any Chief fan would have a problem if this scenario played out like that.

vidae
03-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Brodie Croyle didn't exactly have the best supporting cast last year to make a great impression, but does anyone here really think he has the potential to be a Pro Bowl QB? At best, I think he could be an adequate, league-average starter.

I think, for me at least, it's more not being overwhelmed by Brodie as a QB but rather underwhelmed at the QBs coming out this year. None of them really jump out at you and scream franchise QB to me, but maybe I'm wrong and maybe the Chiefs as an organization feel differently.

We'll see on April 26th. ;)

neko4
03-22-2008, 05:02 PM

This league is more of a QB league than ever before, and the common theory is you should never pass on a potential franchise QB if you currently don't have one. KC can gamble on Croyle developing into a decent QB, or they can take a chance on a QB that many believe could be a franchise guy.

If Jake Long is there they have to take him, but I couldn't fault the choice of Matt Ryan if Long is off the board.
what makes Ryan less of a gamble than brodie?With the large contingent on hand for his pro day you would have to think so atleast. Jake Long will surely be gone but not so certain both stud DTs Dorsey and Ellis will be as well.
ya know it was Gosder Cherilus' pro day too.

vidae
03-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Gholston, Dorsey or Ellis called if Jake Long is gone.

Addict
03-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I think, for me at least, it's more not being overwhelmed by Brodie as a QB but rather underwhelmed at the QBs coming out this year. None of them really jump out at you and scream franchise QB to me, but maybe I'm wrong and maybe the Chiefs as an organization feel differently.

We'll see on April 26th. ;)

but being usure about your future starter (Croyle) doesn't warrant a fifth overall pick spent on the position, even if depth the ensuing year leaves something to be desired.

Besides, unless that line is fixed, it doesn't matter who's under center, it won't do any good because the blocking's not there.

eazyb81
03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
what makes Ryan less of a gamble than brodie?

For one, Ryan is regarded as an elite, top ten talent, while Brodie Croyle was an afterthought as a mid-round talent when he came out. Prospect-wise, there is no comparison between the two.

In addition, Croyle has been given a chance to succeed in this league, and frankly has not shown much.

ya know it was Gosder Cherilus' pro day too.

Teams rarely, if ever, bring a cadre of execs and coaches like the Chiefs brought to BC to scout a 2nd round pick.

MooshooGawd
03-22-2008, 07:32 PM
It would seem to make sense.

But does Herm Edwards and that coaching staff have the time or job security to take a first rounder that isn't going to contribute for his first year - if not first 2 years?

There are only a handful of elite prospects this year. There is bound to be a team that is willing to move up with them.

vidae
03-22-2008, 08:26 PM
In addition, Croyle has been given a chance to succeed in this league, and frankly has not shown much.

If you consider our non existant offensive line and our elite RB injured for the last 8 games "a chance". But there is no way that playing behind that line with the biggest weapon on our offense out for half the season can be considered a real chance.