PDA

View Full Version : whats a draft scenario that you would just hate...

BeerBaron
03-22-2008, 06:22 PM
let me hear some. im really hoping im not the only person who would be dangerously upset if my team made some certain draft choices that are actually within the realm of possibility.

so what are some picks your team could make that would just have you throwing the remote through your tv screen in a fit of rage and/or curl up on the floor in the fetal position crying?

heres one for my bears: matt ryan falls to them. (or, god forbid, they trade up for him)

I would probably calmly stand up, turn off the tv, go lay down in bed and weep at the loss of the next 3-4 years of my life watching him play miserably. i would have to see his 19 picks last season turn into 35 at the pro level as he gets sacked by defenders blowing past the lineman we dont have, throw to receivers we dont have, and hand off to running backs that we dont have. all positions that could be addressed in round 1 that would do more wonders for this team....

so you can bet your ass that if the phins, falcons, chiefs and ravens all pass on ryan, i will be somewhere slowly losing all of my marbles......

so lets hear some situations that would send you off screaming if you found your team in.

AlexDown
03-22-2008, 06:32 PM
What QBs from this class don't you hate?

BengalsPwn
03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
The bengals missing out on gholston, ellis, and dorsey, then marvin picking kentwan balmer or keith rivers. this is a very realistic possibility too which is the worst part.

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 06:40 PM
The Saints reaching on Balmer at 10. Or taking a kicker or QB at 10. I really wouldn't have a problem with anything else, though.

Jakey
03-22-2008, 06:48 PM
I wouldnt be too dissapointed with any of the Steelers picks...i trust them allot! I think the worst case scenario would be to reach for a player like Justin King when he is so unproven...but yet again that could pay off in the long run.

ironman4579
03-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I was originally very against the Lions taking Harvey at 15. And while I still don't think he's the elite pass rusher some people are calling him, or even a very good pass rusher, I'm starting to think he's a good enough pass rusher and am warming up to the idea a bit. Basically I wouldn't be too upset with any pick (other than the obvious joke as a Lions fan). I would however be upset if we traded up to get someone since we have so many holes to fill.

DeathbyStat
03-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I wouldnt be too dissapointed with any of the Steelers picks...i trust them allot! I think the worst case scenario would be to reach for a player like Justin King when he is so unproven...but yet again that could pay off in the long run.

I agree this and if the Ravens or Bengals get Ellis or Dorsey

BeerBaron
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
What QBs from this class don't you hate?

i dont mind brohm in round 2. same goes for flacco there or after. i love woodson but it looks real unlike the bears will draft him. josh johnson is worth a look by me 3rd round or after. i like JDB or ainge or that kid from san diego st. o'connell maybe? ill look it up in a second here. but theyre all good by me as late round picks.

i just dont like matt ryan or chad henne at all as pro prospects

edit: yeah, o'connell

Jakey
03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I'll second that ironman, i would be pissed if the Steelers traded up (they have only got 6 picks). I dont believe there is a player worth trading up for in this draft, the top end is thin and the whole class is deep.

SaintsMan
03-22-2008, 06:56 PM
With the 10th selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Keith Rivers, LB, USC.

I would break the TV, vomit and I don't know what else.

Chucky
03-22-2008, 07:01 PM
If the Bucs take Kentwan Balmer at 20 I will be very pissed

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Fujita is much more than "okay".. outside of say, Will Smith and Mike McKenzie he's our best defensive player. He consistency makes plays.

MooshooGawd
03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm a Bengal fan...

When Dorsey comes off the board, I'm going to start to get antsy. If Ellis gets snatched before the Bengals pick, I will seriously ask God what the city of Cincinnati ever did to him, and ask why he hates us Bengal fans.

Worst case scenario for me: We're on the clock, Ellis is sitting right there, Bengal fans everywhere are getting ready to celebrate, and Goodell announces someone else's name. That'll be the worst moment ever. As ridiculous as that sounds, I could see that happening. It's like the year that Marvin and his coaches thought that Chris Perry would be a better RB than Steven Jackson.

If the DT's are gone, whoever the Bengals draft will be disappointing. My guess is that they would go for an OT, and there is no pick less-sexy than drafting an offensive lineman.

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Taking a gamble on DRC or McKelvin at 10 is risky. The chances of a CB being drafted and immediately making a contribution is highly unlikely. Revis did a damn good job at it last year and Aaron Ross was clutch too, but for the most part CBs don't come in make an immediate impact. My realistic Saints draft board is:

1. Glenn Dorsey
2. Sedrick Ellis
3. Jake Long
4. Rashard Mendenhall
5. Leonis McKelvin

Fujita plays his position damn well for us and until Vilma shows he is healthy and the same player he was in the 4-3, Fujita is our best linebacker. I think Keith Rivers would be great, but if went take someone other than him I'd be fine too because this draft is LB deep. Curtis Lofton in the second would be great too.

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm a Bengal fan...

When Dorsey comes off the board, I'm going to start to get antsy. If Ellis gets snatched before the Bengals pick, I will seriously ask God what the city of Cincinnati ever did to him, and ask why he hates us Bengal fans.

I honestly think the Saints will make a trade with the Ravens to move up and grab Ellis just to stick it to their division rival.

Jakey
03-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm a Bengal fan...I will seriously ask God what the city of Cincinnati ever did to him

Nothing, Cincinnati is just gods crapper...its where the poop goes.

Canadian_kid16
03-22-2008, 07:25 PM
If the Bucs take Kentwan Balmer at 20 I will be very pissed

I share the same sentiments...

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 07:27 PM
LOL. It's funny - seems like absolutely NO ONE wants Balmer.

Jakey
03-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I'd take Balmer for the Stillers, i think he will be a better 3-4 end than 4-3 tackle.

BeerBaron
03-22-2008, 07:33 PM
LOL. It's funny - seems like absolutely NO ONE wants Balmer.

i think in the 2nd he wouldnt be a bad pick to most teams with a DT need. but as a first rounder...yeah i can see people having grounded dislike

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 07:36 PM
i think in the 2nd he wouldnt be a bad pick to most teams with a DT need. but as a first rounder...yeah i can see people having grounded dislike

Agreed. Wouldn't touch him in the first round, second round I'd love to have him. I think he'll be the Justin Harrell/Donte Whitner of this draft.

MooshooGawd
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM
About the Chris Perry pick... even if the Bengals liked Jackson more then Perry, the Rams selected him earlier.. I think. They could have taken Kevin Jones thuogh, who I thought was better.

You're only partially right...

I remember that day all too well. We were expected to draft Chris Gamble by the media, but as our pick came closer, fans got excited that the 2 big RB's were still on the board, Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson. The Bengals were on the clock with Jackson on the board, BUT TRADED DOWN! We traded down with the Rams, who then took Jackson.

The Bengals later justified it by saying that they had Chris Perry rated as the best RB in the draft.

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Well we don't need an IMMEDIATE starter at the CB position. Our starters are McKenzie and Randall... McKenzie has 1 or 2 years left in him. Leodis and DRC could easily come in and play the nickel role until they're ready to be put in.

Look at it like this, we can overlook the position now, and have a huge hole to fill when McKenzie leaves... or prepare a 1st rounder for when that time comes. DRC has answered all questions, played great at the senior bowl, and it doesn't hurt that his last name is Cromartie. McKelvin does everything right but has pretty bad hands. If I got to pick i'd take Cromartie. I just like him in our man on man defense.

And taking a RB in round 1 would be probably the worst possible selection. Bush.. pray to god... may learn how to not run left and right as soon as he gets the ball. Pierre Thomas is solid and did well when he had a shot. Theres RB depth though, and someone good could easily be picked up in the 3rd or 4th.. Cory Boyd perhaps

No one knows who are starters are until the first game of the season, we can only speculate. IF Mike McKenzie is able to return healthy at the beginning of the season (which is a BIG if) then I'd be willing to bet that McKenzie & David will be the starters at the beginning of the season. We drafted Usama Young in the third last year and at times he looked good and other times he looked like a rookie which was to be expected. I'd be willing to bet that the FO thinks he is our CB to be groomed for the future. This draft is deep at both CB and LB position which is good for us, however, adding a Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey would do wonders for our defensive.

We aren't as set on RB as some fans make us out to be. Bush is best suited to be an x-factor weapon like he was in his rookie season until he's capable of showing he can handle a full-load IF he ever is. I love Pierre Thomas, but I highly doubt Sean Payton and the FO is ready to make him the primary option. Stecker is solid and Deuce is probably going to be cut come April 15th. However, this class is extremely deep at RB too but our FO will take the BPA, period. Offensive OR defensive.

ironman4579
03-22-2008, 07:50 PM
You're only partially right...

I remember that day all too well. We were expected to draft Chris Gamble by the media, but as our pick came closer, fans got excited that the 2 big RB's were still on the board, Kevin Jones and Steven Jackson. The Bengals were on the clock with Jackson on the board, BUT TRADED DOWN! We traded down with the Rams, who then took Jackson.

The Bengals later justified it by saying that they had Chris Perry rated as the best RB in the draft.

To be fair, in the one season he was actually partially healthy, Perry had a good year. He could just never stay healthy. Kind of similiar to Kevin Jones career in fact.

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Whether or not we like him, Jason David will probably be starting for us when the season begins. We've invested a lot of money into him to simply cut him. He might not "exist" to you, but he still is a factor (or an easy six points for opposing teams) on the team.

vidae
03-22-2008, 08:08 PM
I got to see my worst draft nightmare happen LAST year. After Roaf retired the year before, Will Shields retired and we didn't draft an offensive lineman until round 7. I have NO IDEA what we were thinking would happen but having the worst line in football had to be something they considered.

I guess the same scenario this year would make me pissed. Not addressing the offensive line early and over a few draft choices. Also, if we took Matt Ryan at 5 I'd be kind of pissed.

BeerBaron
03-22-2008, 08:28 PM
I got to see my worst draft nightmare happen LAST year. After Roaf retired the year before, Will Shields retired and we didn't draft an offensive lineman until round 7. I have NO IDEA what we were thinking would happen but having the worst line in football had to be something they considered.

I guess the same scenario this year would make me pissed. Not addressing the offensive line early and over a few draft choices. Also, if we took Matt Ryan at 5 I'd be kind of pissed.

i think you did well getting dwayne bowe, but yeah, you probably should have gotten at least some backups or something the late rounds. guys to develop along the oline.....

vidae
03-22-2008, 08:32 PM
i think you did well getting dwayne bowe, but yeah, you probably should have gotten at least some backups or something the late rounds. guys to develop along the oline.....

I'll be honest, I wasn't sold on Bowe when we picked him. There were offensive lineman there who could have helped us develop and strengthen our line, but I'm obviously happy now. Bowe is a stud and will only get better.

WMD
03-22-2008, 08:40 PM
If Jake Long, Chris Williams, Ryan Clady, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston, Derrick Harvey, and Rashard Mendenhall are all gone by #15... and I'd only want Mendenhall if the first 6 are gone. I don't want the Lions to trade up for anybody.

I would hate if we don't get an OT in the first 3 rounds. I would also hate if we didn't pick up a MLB early on.

SimonRath
03-22-2008, 08:42 PM
The Falcons drafting Matt Ryan...
especially if Jake Long's there

Redskins4Bowl26
03-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Vinny Cerrato, Daniel Snyder, and Jim Zorn are sitting there on draft day and it's our pick.

Redskins Target Board:
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Taken
Malcom Kelly - Taken
Branden Albert -
Phillip Merling - Taken
Limas Sweed
Glenn Dorsey - Taken

Rodger Goodell: With the 21st pick in the 2009 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select Limas Sweed/WR/Texas.

I will be screaming at Mel Kiper Jr. as he says it's a great pick for the redskins since they have no height. He's the next wide reciever to go to the NFL and have everything u need in a nfl reciever except... pure speed.

Then 3 years down the road watch Branden Albert be a more than solid guard for the Steelers as the redskins try to re-make their offensive line since half their players retired/ran out of juice 1 year ago.

Turtlepower
03-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I would hate it if the Giants selected Antoine Cason. Possibly even more than them selecting Dan Connor.

BeerBaron
03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
I would hate it if the Giants selected Antoine Cason. Possibly even more than them selecting Dan Connor.

who do you want them to go with if say, smith and phillips are gone, same with the corners most people would have ahead of cason?

SaintsMan
03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
It wouldn't be that bad of a pick. Fujita is ok, but Rivers would be a huge upgrade. I'd have no problem with them taking Rivers.. as long as Leodis, DRC, and Sedrick Ellis are all gone.

I doubt Rivers would be that huge of an upgrade. He gets by on athletic ability alone and that will only get him so far in the pros. He is not a playmaker, isn't the best LB'er in the draft and shouldn't be a top 10 pick. Clady or Mendehall would be great picks if we don't trade up for Dorsey or Ellis.

Turtlepower
03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
who do you want them to go with if say, smith and phillips are gone, same with the corners most people would have ahead of cason?

Trevor Laws. I think it is the same scenario as the Colts drafting Anthony Gonzalez last year. Let's remain the best pass-rushing team in the league and Laws would be a great compliment to Justin Tuck who would most likely move to permanent DE when Strahan retires next year.

BeerBaron
03-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Trevor Laws. I think it is the same scenario as the Colts drafting Anthony Gonzalez last year. Let's remain the best pass-rushing team in the league and Laws would be a great compliment to Justin Tuck who would most likely move to permanent DE when Strahan retires next year.

interesting though i assume youd still have one of those better DB's ahead of laws yet

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Well when he's single handedly costing you games, you overlook the "investment" we have in him. It's not like he's getting elite corner money. He's getting overpaid, so he should be cut. Yes he's on the team, but lets not act like we don't have a problem at the CB position just because we spent a lot on a garbage corner.

I never said we didn't have a hole at corner, however, if you think that the FO is going to give up on Jason David this quickly & soon then that's foolish thinking.

badgerbacker
03-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Ted Thompson continues to trade down until we own every pick in the 7th round and nothing else.

Turtlepower
03-22-2008, 08:55 PM
interesting though i assume youd still have one of those better DB's ahead of laws yet

Obviously Reggie Smith and Kenny Phillips would be ideal. I also have the top 4 corners on my big board as well. After that, I just don't like the value of the other corners. If we were to reach for one, I would go with Tracy Porter above the rest because we need a PR and he has good speed to compliment Ross. I am also holding out for Terrence Wheatley to the Giants in the 3rd. Very underrated player whose biggest knock was his speed, but running a sub 4.4 changes that weakness.

SimonRath
03-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Ted Thompson continues to trade down until we own every pick in the 7th round and nothing else.

haha that would suck

Paul
03-22-2008, 09:06 PM
If the 'boys select either Reggie Smith or Mario Manningham in the 1st. Some furniture is gonna start moving if I hear either names for Dallas.

Honorable Mention
Felix Jones
Just because I'm sick and tired of people using the BS excuse of the Razorback connection.

Henryflo91
03-22-2008, 10:10 PM
If Gholston, Mcfadden or Long is off the board

dunagan15
03-22-2008, 10:11 PM
+1 if the falcons draft matt ryan, even if Jake long is gone, anyone else resonable is pretty much a need, cant go too worng

Sniper
03-22-2008, 10:19 PM
If the 'boys select either Reggie Smith or Mario Manningham in the 1st. Some furniture is gonna start moving if I hear either names for Dallas.

Honorable Mention
Felix Jones
Just because I'm sick and tired of people using the BS excuse of the Razorback connection.

Till you see Mario Manningham catch a 60 yard bomb for a TD, then it will be sweet for you.

For the Eagles, DeSean Jackson or Jeff Otah in the first round would likely cause breakage of stuff in my vicinity.

SKim172
03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
To see Matt Ryan drafted by the Ravens. Oh lord. Everything about him screams bust. 19 picks. 654 attempts. 59% completion. 62nd in passer efficiency. Has Mayock, Kiper, and McShay all up on his jock. And at #8, he just might be around. And I've got this nervous feeling that the Ravens are ready and willing to make a profoundly bad investment in the next Chad Pennington - a guy who's not immediately horrible, just slowly takes your team down the toilet over a period of many long seasons before he's finally benched. And by that point, everything's lost. You have to rebuild piece by piece. Please God, no.

On the flip side, the Ravens not drafting a QB, period, and starting the season with KYLE FREAKIN' BOLLER behind center. Dear God.

I'm hoping against hope that Ravens will take Brian Brohm, somehow. It seems unlikely any team will pull the trigger on him in the early 1st round, but I doubt he'll drop past Miami or Atlanta in the 2nd. I'm imagining all the possible scenarios. The only feasible one seems to be the Ravens trading down, but I'm not sure they like him enough to do that. Either that, or Brohm has a terrible pro day and gets passed over in favor of Joe Flacco and/or Chad Henne, leaving Brohm available in the second round.

Brent
03-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Niners drafting a WR in the 1st.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-22-2008, 10:54 PM
If Oakland takes Vernon Gholston, I might just shut off my television for the day.

Sniper
03-22-2008, 10:54 PM
If DeSean was there, you can't be mad at that.

Sure you could. 11.7 ypc ain't good.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-22-2008, 10:55 PM
As long as Oakland stays at #4 I really cant find a scenario that I would hate. The least desirable option would be us picking McFadden.

Sniper
03-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh, you're one of those who look at the stats and don't watch the games... gotcha.

Anyone whose actually watched DeSean (I have since high school) knows he's an elite receiver, and a great route runner. He got so much double coverage this year it wasn't funny... you know what.. I'm just gonna stop. What are the odds I'm arguing with someone who actually watched all the Cal games?

No I watch the games. I saw his stellar 4 catch, 5 yard performance against Oregon State. I saw his super duper 4 catch, 45 yard job against Tennessee and I saw him carve up Oregon.

Great route runner? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Elite receiver? Every top receiver gets double teamed, yet very few "elite" wideouts average 11.7 ypc. Michael Crabtree was Texas Tech's only real receiving option and averaged 14.6 ypc. Jordy Nelson, who likely runs a 4.6 at best, averaged 13.2 ypc. Fred Davis, a TE who was USC's only reliable option receiving wise averaged 14.2.

Every top wideout gets doubled. Some are good enough to get open, some aren't. Some speed receivers get labeled deep threats because they run 4.3s, but stats prove otherwise.

farfromforgotten
03-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Niners drafting a WR in the 1st.

I fear this as well.

BeerBaron
03-22-2008, 11:23 PM
To see Matt Ryan drafted by the Ravens. Oh lord. Everything about him screams bust. 19 picks. 654 attempts. 59% completion. 62nd in passer efficiency. Has Mayock, Kiper, and McShay all up on his jock. And at #8, he just might be around. And I've got this nervous feeling that the Ravens are ready and willing to make a profoundly bad investment in the next Chad Pennington - a guy who's not immediately horrible, just slowly takes your team down the toilet over a period of many long seasons before he's finally benched. And by that point, everything's lost. You have to rebuild piece by piece. Please God, no.

On the flip side, the Ravens not drafting a QB, period, and starting the season with KYLE FREAKIN' BOLLER behind center. Dear God.

I'm hoping against hope that Ravens will take Brian Brohm, somehow. It seems unlikely any team will pull the trigger on him in the early 1st round, but I doubt he'll drop past Miami or Atlanta in the 2nd. I'm imagining all the possible scenarios. The only feasible one seems to be the Ravens trading down, but I'm not sure they like him enough to do that. Either that, or Brohm has a terrible pro day and gets passed over in favor of Joe Flacco and/or Chad Henne, leaving Brohm available in the second round.

hey alright, finally someone who agrees with me on ryan. and you even have more stats, awesome.

Flyboy
03-22-2008, 11:37 PM

Good thing he can run short & intermediate routes too.

diabsoule
03-22-2008, 11:50 PM
My Saints opinion:

I don't want to reach on Balmer like flyboy said. I think he has bust written all over him and don't want us to have another Jonathan Sullivan on our team. I don't want us to take Matt Ryan either. We have a serviceable backup in Mark Brunell and I like our chances on grabbing a developmental guy in the late rounds.
I also don't want the Saints to reach on DRC. I like him but I think he's going to take a while to develop and the Saints don't have the time to develop anyone. I do like Leodis McKelvin and think he could immediately contribute.

Here's my top draft board for the Saints:

1) Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
2) Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
3) Keith Rivers, LB, USC
4) Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
5) DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal

After that I would say trade down.

Sniper
03-22-2008, 11:57 PM
Good thing he can run short & intermediate routes too.

Nice try, but no.

Let's look at the guys considered to be the top wideouts in the draft, ok?
Off of Scott's rankings

Limas Sweed: 16.11 (injury shortened season)
DeSean Jackson: 11.7 ypc
Malcolm Kelly: 16.76 ypc
Devin Thomas: 15.95 ypc
James Hardy: 14.24 ypc
Mario Manningham: 16.3 ypc
Early Doucet: 9.2 ypc
Lavelle Hawkins: 11.92 ypc
Andre Caldwell: 13.59 ypc
Earl Bennett: 11.07 ypc

So I suppose Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, James Hardy, Mario Manningham, Lavelle Hawkins and Andre Caldwell only run deep routes, unlike stud route runner DeSean Jackson?

nikkayeah
03-23-2008, 12:01 AM

18 ypc in his sophomore year sounds pretty good to me. also had 7 straight games with at least one td catch at one point

Sniper
03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
18 ypc in his sophomore year sounds pretty good to me. also had 7 straight games with at least one td catch at one point

18 ypc is great, but how come he took such a HUGE step back? People dog on Mario Manningham for being "slow" but he's never averaged under 16 ypc his entire career. Yes, of course part of that has to do with the fact that Michigan sent him deep a lot, but still, he didn't go deep every play.

Flyboy
03-23-2008, 12:08 AM
So I suppose Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, James Hardy, Mario Manningham, Lavelle Hawkins and Andre Caldwell only run deep routes, unlike stud route runner DeSean Jackson?

LOL, nice try arguing something I never said. I called you out with your agenda against Jackson, but again - nice try.

thebow305
03-23-2008, 12:09 AM
If our first 3 picks went like this:

1) Matt Ryan
2a) Dan Connor
2b) Anthony Collins

or

1) Jake Long
2a) Brian Brohm
2b) Andre Caldwell

Those scenarios would almost put me in tears...

nikkayeah
03-23-2008, 12:11 AM
i don't know why, but last season, it seemed like longshore preferred to get the ball to hawkins even when he wasn't open and jackson was.

Sniper
03-23-2008, 12:11 AM
LOL, nice try arguing something I never said. I called you out with your agenda against Jackson, but again - nice try.

You pretty much attributed Jackson's pathetic ypc to him being able to run short and intermediate routes. So why is it then that pretty much every other top wideout dominates him in that category, when a vast majority of them are considered possession wideouts?

Cashmoney
03-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I'll be pretty upset if we take any WR in the first not named Sweed, Kelly, Manningham, or Desean Jackson.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-23-2008, 12:19 AM
For those wondering Cal changed their offense this past year. The offense they had before relied entirely on the big play which was perfect for Desean. Then the system changes, Desean has an injury plagued season and Longshore performs horribly.

Sniper
03-23-2008, 12:20 AM
For those wondering Cal changed their offense this past year. The offense they had before relied entirely on the big play which was perfect for Desean. Then the system changes, Desean has an injury plagued season and Longshore performs horribly.

That quote in your sig cracks me up

BaLLiN
03-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Dan Connor to the giants

nobodyinparticular
03-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Nice try, but no.

Let's look at the guys considered to be the top wideouts in the draft, ok?
Off of Scott's rankings

Limas Sweed: 16.11 (injury shortened season)
DeSean Jackson: 11.7 ypc
Malcolm Kelly: 16.76 ypc
Devin Thomas: 15.95 ypc
James Hardy: 14.24 ypc
Mario Manningham: 16.3 ypc
Early Doucet: 9.2 ypc
Lavelle Hawkins: 11.92 ypc
Andre Caldwell: 13.59 ypc
Earl Bennett: 11.07 ypc

Do you notice something? Lavell Hawkins and DeSean Jackson have nearly identical ypc. Why do you think that is? Perhaps it has to do with QB play and the offensive system. I'm glad you look at the stats instead of watching games though. Cause those definitely tell you the whole story.

nobodyinparticular
03-23-2008, 01:26 AM
Honestly? Taking Dorsey or Ellis.

Gholston is somewhat iffy. McFadden a little moreso. I would love Chris Long or a trade down.

The Legend
03-23-2008, 01:30 AM
i would hate for the packers to take a TE in the 1st

fenikz
03-23-2008, 01:56 AM
If all the top CBs(Jenkins, DRC & McKelvin), Mendenhall, Stewart & Harvey are picked before the Cardinals

Would force us to reach for a CB or LB probally Cason, Talib or Groves

tjjohnson98
03-23-2008, 02:47 AM
If KC stays put and drafts Otah or Ryan at #5, I might puke. Here's my board for the Chiefs at #5 overall:

1. Jake Long
2. Glenn Dorsey
3. Sedrick Ellis
4. Ryan Clady

NotoriousT
03-23-2008, 03:33 AM
I don't understand why a fellow Giants fan wouldn't want Cason. He's very talented, was extremely productive, played against good competition, returned punts, and answered questions about his speed (it's not great but it's not as bad as people thought). Also, his skill set could translate nicely to FS, a position of huge need for us. I don't see how you could view him as a disaster.

My disaster pick would be Gosder Cherilus. There's a lot of rumors about how interested we are in him and I just don't like it. We already have one of the best o-lines in the league and Cherilus isn't even projected to be a LT, our one so-called area of "concern" (and I use that term very loosely). Why draft a back-up RT with your first rounder? McKenzie isn't horrible and he's not ancient so he doesn't need to be replaced. Cherilus doesn't translate to LT in the NFL so you can't move Diehl back inside. So what's the point here? Just don't like it at all. I think we can get much better value at a much higher need.

Dan Connor is another one. I just don't see LB as that big of a need really and Dan Connor doesn't really fit with us. I wouldn't break anything if we drafted him but I'd shake my head and be quite disappointed.

Sniper
03-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Do you notice something? Lavell Hawkins and DeSean Jackson have nearly identical ypc. Why do you think that is? Perhaps it has to do with QB play and the offensive system. I'm glad you look at the stats instead of watching games though. Cause those definitely tell you the whole story.

Yeah but DeSean Jackson is supposed to be this ZOMGZ SUPER FAST DEEP THREAT, Lavelle Hawkins is not.

03-23-2008, 09:17 AM
If the Raiders go DT at #4 I'll be the first to go buck on someone.

BeerBaron
03-23-2008, 09:28 AM
If all the top CBs(Jenkins, DRC & McKelvin), Mendenhall, Stewart & Harvey are picked before the Cardinals

Would force us to reach for a CB or LB probally Cason, Talib or Groves

lucky for you one of those 6 ought to be there. its tough to work out a scenario where they wouldnt be...

the decider13
03-23-2008, 09:45 AM
um...broncos drafting merling, desean or phillips at #12. I wouldnt mind phillips if the broncos trade down.

dream scenario: Trading up to snag ellis or dorsey. I would wet my pants.

scottyboy
03-23-2008, 09:47 AM
If the Giants ended up with Trae Williams or Mike Jenkins
or if Ray Rice went to the NFC East or the Pats.
And turtle just hates Cason because he went to Zona. He's my prefered Giants pick in round 1

EtrnlDarkness
03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I think i'd be pretty pissed if the titans took chris johnson in the first. Which seems realistic at this point.

UK Cards Fan
03-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I hope that we don't draft Aqib Talib. A lot of people think, Antrel Rolle is moving to S, so they need a CB. However, Rolle was our Nickel corner. We do need a #1 CB (Green and Hood are great #2s but struggle against #1s) but Aqib Talib is so far from having #1 potential in a Man scheme. He could be a good #2 / zone corner (although I am not sold) but I would hate him in Arizona.

A lot of people also think we need a LB as Pace has gone. However, we signed Travis LaBoy, and have Bert Berry and Chike Okeafor coming back. A 1st round LB would be horrible.

My other disliked option is Rashard Mendenhall. To take a RB in the first, he has to be special. You can find decent RBs later. Personally, I don't see greatness in Mendenhall. I see him being an average RB at best. The depth at RB allows for us to take a very good RB later, or even Jonathan Stewart, who I think will be the best back from the draft.

downthealley
03-23-2008, 11:37 AM
The Patriots reaching for a corner...which might happen.

MetSox17
03-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I didn't read through 4 pages, so i don't know if this scenario has
already come up..
but if the Cowboys pass on Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly (assuming
all the top cb's are gone) to take Felix Jones i will toss my TV
out my window. This guy has "average" written all over him and i couldn't
imagine spending a first round pick on him.
If the 'boys trade up for a CB, that would be perfect!

Sniper
03-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Just stop talking. Theres so many other factors that you don't look at. Did you see Cal's QB's this year? The play calling was off all year too.

Did you see Michigan's QBs this year? An injured senior and a freshman who couldn't hit water if he fell out of the boat? Calvin Johnson averaged over 15 ypc with Reggie Ball as his QB. It's one thing if you don't rack up yards because you're not getting too many receptions because of your QB, but that's what the ypc stat is for.

Devin Thomas had a crappy QB for MSU yet still put up stud ypc numbers. It can be done, and when a guy who is supposed to be a super deep threat and a field stretcher can only average 11.7 ypc, something's wrong.

JT Jag
03-23-2008, 12:55 PM
The Jaguars drafting anyone on offense.

A Perfect Score
03-23-2008, 03:17 PM
i would hate anything to do with the ravens and matt ryan, and also anything that doesnt involve a CB in the 1st or 2nd round would also annoy me.

NotoriousT
03-23-2008, 03:50 PM
If the Giants ended up with Trae Williams or Mike Jenkins
or if Ray Rice went to the NFC East or the Pats.
And turtle just hates Cason because he went to Zona. He's my prefered Giants pick in round 1

Ew, just noticed he's a Sundevil. Well his Cason hate makes sense now.

I'm guessing you don't want Mike Jenkins or Trae Williams because you're a Rutgers fan?

BeerBaron
03-23-2008, 04:01 PM
just to throw my $.02 in on the desean debate, i dont think i would touch him. I just have this thing against WRs under about 6'0 going in the first round. i know a few good'ns have come through but unless theyre hella fast and showed it consistently in school i think id just stay clear......

you can always get the good all around receivers who run routes and things in rounds 2-4. a first round receiver in my opinion has to be someone just plain beastly to look at and hellishly athletic.

needled24_7
03-23-2008, 04:08 PM
if the seahawks take a mediocre tight end in the first

BeerBaron
03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
if the seahawks take a mediocre tight end in the first

who would you prefer them take then? i dont think ive seen too many seahawks fans post who they want so thats why im asking.

i figure maybe OT or RB still, even though JJ and duckett have joined in up there.

needled24_7
03-23-2008, 04:20 PM
who would you prefer them take then? i dont think ive seen too many seahawks fans post who they want so thats why im asking.

i figure maybe OT or RB still, even though JJ and duckett have joined in up there.

i don't particularly like jones, i see him as pretty much the same as maurice morris, and i don't like duckett as more than a backup. after jonathan stewart's surgery i am really hoping he falls to us. if otah fell to us it would be nice, i'm not entirely sold on the mike wahle signing so a young stud guard would be sweet. but i really really don't think any tight end in this draft has a first round grade, not even a late first. in the second would be great, but the first i would rather have BPA than a tight end.

BBIB
03-23-2008, 04:21 PM
The one where the Falcons draft Matt Ryan

BeerBaron
03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
i don't particularly like jones, i see him as pretty much the same as maurice morris, and i don't like duckett as more than a backup. after jonathan stewart's surgery i am really hoping he falls to us. if otah fell to us it would be nice, i'm not entirely sold on the mike wahle signing so a young stud guard would be sweet. but i really really don't think any tight end in this draft has a first round grade, not even a late first. in the second would be great, but the first i would rather have BPA than a tight end.

interesting. i figured stewart would probably still be the pick in most peoples minds but that would probably mean both alexander and morris getting cut since few teams go in with 4 RB's, much less 5

needled24_7
03-23-2008, 04:28 PM
yeah that's true i was never a big shaun alexander fan i was pissed when we resigned him instead of hutchinson after his mvp season haha. but i love what i see in stewart and would take him over any runningback we currently have. hell balmer might not even be that bad of a pick, i see him as a late first round value and you can never have enough defensive tackles to rotate into your line. how big is he anyway? is he more of a run stuffer or a penetrator? most of our tackles besides tubbs are undersized and i think we need a big body in there to help with run defense, look at what ryan grant did to us in the playoffs.

rockio42
03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah but DeSean Jackson is supposed to be this ZOMGZ SUPER FAST DEEP THREAT, Lavelle Hawkins is not.

no thats Jordy Nelson

rockio42
03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
yeah that's true i was never a big shaun alexander fan i was pissed when we resigned him instead of hutchinson after his mvp season haha. but i love what i see in stewart and would take him over any runningback we currently have. hell balmer might not even be that bad of a pick, i see him as a late first round value and you can never have enough defensive tackles to rotate into your line. how big is he anyway? is he more of a run stuffer or a penetrator? most of our tackles besides tubbs are undersized and i think we need a big body in there to help with run defense, look at what ryan grant did to us in the playoffs.

Hes more of a penetrating 4-3 UT, which is why he would fit so well into a 3-4

BeerBaron
03-23-2008, 04:45 PM

well then balmer probably wouldnt help out too much. i think hes about 280 or so iirc. i know some project him to more of a 34 end or at the very least a cover 2 UT.

i was thinking that maybe for an average 43 team, he could play end on rushing downs and then move inside on passing downs. might actually make sense in that regard to seattle.

kerney on one side, balmer on the other, some bigger tackles in the middle. then on 3rd and longs, slide balmer inside and bring in atkins/tapp to pass rush

scottyboy
03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Ew, just noticed he's a Sundevil. Well his Cason hate makes sense now.

I'm guessing you don't want Mike Jenkins or Trae Williams because you're a Rutgers fan?

uhh no, Cason is a Wildcat. Arizona are the wildcats, ASU are the sundevils

yea and both are ridiculously over rated and they suck

NotoriousT
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
uhh no, Cason is a Wildcat. Arizona are the wildcats, ASU are the sundevils

yea and both are ridiculously over rated and they suck

That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about Turtle who lives in Tempe. Tempe = Sundevil country. I would know, I live in Tucson, which is Wildcat country.

eaglesalltheway
03-24-2008, 06:52 AM
For the Eagles... I would die if Kenny Phillips, Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, Chris Williams, and James Hardy are all gone, but I think at least two of those guys will be left.

BeerBaron
03-24-2008, 09:28 AM
For the Eagles... I would die if Kenny Phillips, Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, Chris Williams, and James Hardy are all gone, but I think at least two of those guys will be left.

almost certainly. but the question is, will the eagles take any of them? ive noticed they stay away from 1st round receivers and chris williams might be gone. phillips may be your bestbet there

T-RICH49
03-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Easy for KC Jake Long and both DT's going before 5

Wyndham
03-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Ryan Clady at any point, Jeff Otah at No. 5 or trading down and getting ripped off are my only main concerns for the Chiefs. Just about everything else would be okay, even if not ideal.

kmartin575
03-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I would **** a brick if the Chiefs are so desparate for an offensive tackle that they reach for Jeff Otah at #5. I keep hearing rumors about how they really like him and it is making me very nervous. Not sure I want to use our first top 5 pick on forever on an offensive tackle who gave up 8.5 sacks last year against college competition. If we had to reach for a tackle I would rather it be Clady or Williams. But ideally I would rather take Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey.

Unbiased
03-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd take Balmer for the Stillers, i think he will be a better 3-4 end than 4-3 tackle.

sssshhhh!!!!!

terribletowel39
03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
If it isn't an offensive lineman, preferably Williams or Albert, Groves, Sweed, or Thomas, then I will be a bit preturbed. We don't need DB help. We were in the top 5 of pass defenses last year. We don't need a cornerback in the first round.

BeerBaron
03-24-2008, 02:13 PM
If it isn't an offensive lineman, preferably Williams or Albert, Groves, Sweed, or Thomas, then I will be a bit preturbed. We don't need DB help. We were in the top 5 of pass defenses last year. We don't need a cornerback in the first round.

who are pittsburghs CBs this year? i know coclough is gone but he wasnt very good anyway.......i know bryant mcfadden should still be around but ike taylor was sort of off and on last year. got benched at one point.....

am i forgetting anyone? living where i do and going to school where i do, pittsburgh is probably the team i see most often so i was just curious.....i figure they could at least use some 2nd-4th round kind of depth at DB

terribletowel39
03-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Ike Taylor was amazing last year. It was two years ago he was off and on. We have Deshea Townsend starting opposite of Taylor. McFadden has been given the chance just can't take it and plus he is a good nickel/dime corner. We have William G ay, who is going to be real good I believe. A younger version of Deshea Townsend. The safety wise, we got Anthony Smith, Ryan Clark if healthy, Tyrone Carter, and of course Troy.

And you are right, 2nd-4th round help for depth, I would be opposed to. But half the guys on this board are all of sudden deepthroating Cason and I'm not into that.

Jakey
03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
I concur...Ike was awesome last year!

BeerBaron
03-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Ike Taylor was amazing last year. It was two years ago he was off and on. We have Deshea Townsend starting opposite of Taylor. McFadden has been given the chance just can't take it and plus he is a good nickel/dime corner. We have William G ay, who is going to be real good I believe. A younger version of Deshea Townsend. The safety wise, we got Anthony Smith, Ryan Clark if healthy, Tyrone Carter, and of course Troy.

And you are right, 2nd-4th round help for depth, I would be opposed to. But half the guys on this board are all of sudden deepthroating Cason and I'm not into that.

ah, townsend was who i was forgetting. hes gotta be on the wrong side of 30 though....

neko4
03-24-2008, 03:03 PM
the one where the lions dont take a WR in the first

terribletowel39
03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
ah, townsend was who i was forgetting. hes gotta be on the wrong side of 30 though....
yea he is. But I believe G ay will be able to step up in his place and why I agreed that 2-4th round depth is something of a need. he is still getting the job done. I just don't think we need to waste a first round pick on a corner.

Crazy_Chris
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I would hate it if the Vikings drafted Quentin Groves at #17.

Jakey
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
For the Steelers id like to see us look at CB's like Brandon Flowers, Tracy Porter, Terrell Thomas, Chevis Jackson...players that can be had in round 2 or 3, that will become a solid No2 CB.

DraftKidWonder
03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Green Bay reaching for Erin Henderson in round one and then wasting the rest of our picks on martelius bennett (he's not our type of TE) and 9 punters. Other than that we'll do ok. I pray for this scenario.
1. Antoine Cason
2a. Dustin Keller
2b. Sam Baker (he won't fall that far in a million years)
3. The draft rights to Tyson Jackson when he comes out next year.

Aftermath
03-24-2008, 04:24 PM
If Dorsey or Ellis dont drop to the Bengals.

BeerBaron
03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
If Dorsey or Ellis dont drop to the Bengals.

lol, that might be the most likely of the bad scenarios ive seen thus far. i bet your not going to be a happy camper on draft day...

DI
03-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Commissioner Roger Goodell: With the 31st selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New York Giants select Dan Connor, Linebacker, Penn St. University.

Myself: !@#%&^$!~@%#%#*@#! and then i proceed to beat the crap out of the closest Cowboy fan next to me to ease the pain.

iloxygenil
03-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Falcons pitiful draft:

1.) Ryan
2a.) Sam Baker

BamaFalcon59
03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
The first two picks in the draft being Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey.

BamaFalcon59
03-24-2008, 05:09 PM

You have no idea how much my friend, a Steelers fan, loves Ike Taylor.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-24-2008, 05:25 PM
I would be pissed if the Skins took a wideout in the first round.

Sniper
03-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Commissioner Roger Goodell: With the 31st selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New York Giants select Dan Connor, Linebacker, Penn St. University.

Myself: !@#%&^$!~@%#%#*@#! and then i proceed to beat the crap out of the closest Cowboy fan next to me to ease the pain.

What's with all the Dan Connor hate from Giants fans?

BeerBaron
03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
What's with all the Dan Connor hate from Giants fans?

not that im one, but i can understand it if they just dont want a LBer. its not a need and what not, fine. thats fine.

but dan connor is a hell of a player. the guy doesnt miss tackles, ever, and brings a great leadership to the field.

so i wont fault giants fans who dont want him out of need or bad fit or something. but connor is no bad player, and that isnt even my PSU homerism talking.