PDA

View Full Version : wonderlic scores get out

BeerBaron
03-23-2008, 09:11 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-23-new-pompei-scoutmar23,1,7471355.story

not all are posted but the ones for some of the top prospects are.

here, in case your too lazy to read it:

Matt Ryan - 32
Brian Brohm - 32
Joe Flacco - 27
Chad Henne - 22 (<- "Haw Haw!")

Jake Long - 26
Jeff Otah - 28
Sam Baker - 27
Chris Williams - 32
Gosder Cherilus - 25
Brandon Albert - 23

Jerod Mayo - 26
Keith Rivers - 16
Kenny Phillips - 16

thought these were supposed to be more closely guarded than this.....oh well

thoughts? impact?

the decider13
03-23-2008, 09:32 AM
well I think henne is stupid now...thats about all I learned. Rivers scored pretty low. I remember when everyone had a hissy about VY's wonderlic scores. These dont seem as shocking.

The Legend
03-23-2008, 09:36 AM
look at Chris Williams with 32 nice

just wondering what is HIGH and AVG and LOW?

LLoyd Floyd-Boyd
03-23-2008, 09:38 AM

The average for the population as a whole is supposed to be about 20.

Whitebull
03-23-2008, 09:52 AM
VY struggles as a passer and does well by running around. Concerns about his wonderlic score as it relates to his long term ability as a quarterback in the NFL are still valid in my book.

BaLLiN
03-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Kenny Phillips 16, i dont think thats very good, safeties have to make good decisions because they are the last line of defense...

d34ng3l021
03-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Football knowledge and the knowledge that those tests ask you about are completely different. I still think the Wonderlic is stupid. Maybe if it asked a better range of questions or something, then I could see it as a valid test and maybe even a barometer for success in the NFL, but it doesnt. Its just something people get hyped up for almost no reason.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Kenny Phillips 16, i dont think thats very good, safeties have to make good decisions because they are the last line of defense...

That's true, but the Wonderlic doesn't necessarily measure football intelligence. For a QB, it's pretty important, OL as well, but outside of that, it isn't that big of a deal.

03-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Very nice to see Chris Williams get a 32 especially for a position where you do need some brains.

Solomon
03-23-2008, 10:39 AM
I think the most relevance with the wonderlic is not as an indicator of "intelligence" but preparation and work ethic. I'm not sure how many people here have written wonderlic sample tests but they really aren't hard. If somebody without a learning difficulty studies, and prepares for them they should do pretty well. As such a low score is an indicator of several things, lack of preperation, poor work ethic, not taking the process seriously or having a mental block during the test (which is an indication of not having strong nerves which is important for any position when they have a given assignment on a play and have to perform while exhausted in front of hundreds of thousands of fans with their livelyhoods on the line).

Tampa 2 4 life
03-23-2008, 11:39 AM
http://potencial.wordpress.com/2008/03/23/2008-wonderlic-scores/

^Tons more. Tracy Porter scored a 4.

Shane P. Hallam
03-23-2008, 11:41 AM
22 is actually good enough, anything above 20 is solid.

Cashmoney
03-23-2008, 11:42 AM
How do you go from a 17 to a 50 if you're Wallace Gilberry? Good thing some of these guys can play football or they'd probably be cleaning up middle school bathrooms as janitors.

neko4
03-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Olineman should always be the 1st or 2nd smartest guys on the field.

ThePudge
03-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Nice to see Chris Long with a high score. 34 or 45, both terrific.

neko4
03-23-2008, 11:45 AM
why didnt kenny phillips take it twice

Staubach12
03-23-2008, 12:07 PM
well I think henne is stupid now...thats about all I learned.

Considering 20 is average, he did fine.

Jakey
03-23-2008, 12:23 PM
How far can Ali Highsmith fall...he is small, light, slow and stupid. He has gone from a potential 1st rounder, to late round selection. Thats rough.

LLoyd Floyd-Boyd
03-23-2008, 12:29 PM
How do you go from a 17 to a 50 if you're Wallace Gilberry? Good thing some of these guys can play football or they'd probably be cleaning up middle school bathrooms as janitors.

I would guess it means he got 17 out 50 questions completed.

The questions are fairly easy and the reason why not many players score over 35 is because the time limit is very tough and it is rare to finish all 50 questions.

BaLLiN
03-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Godser Cherilus 25/50

BC kid gets the highest score, figures...

furiousgod
03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
How far can Ali Highsmith fall...he is small, light, slow and stupid. He has gone from a potential 1st rounder, to late round selection. Thats rough.

not sure if your serious or not but his game speed is far better then timed (was a tackling machine vs DMC and caught him from behind!) but i agree with what your saying about his stock =D

Primetime21
03-23-2008, 01:28 PM
not sure if your serious or not but his game speed is far better then timed (was a tackling machine vs DMC and caught him from behind!) but i agree with what your saying about his stock =D

Didnt catch him from behind that was Chad Jones. DO agree that he is faster than his 40 time makes him out to be.

the decider13
03-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Considering 20 is average, he did fine.

yeah, I mean look at hom compared to the other QBs. Dont you want your QB to be a little smarter then your other players? I know I would want one smarter then just abover average.

On a positive note for QBs, Ryan did pretty good.

BufFan71
03-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Terrence Wheatley 21/38

Joeyjr09
03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Not sure what the big deal is with Henne's score.

He got a 22. NFL scouts look at 20 as the logical marking point for a QB. Consider just about everyone jumped up around 6-8 points their 2nd attempt, I think it's safe to say Henne would have been in the 30 range had he taken it twice. And even without a 2nd attempt he still had a solid score.

Brohm got a 32 his 1st attempt.
Ryan got a 28 his 1st attempt.
Flacco got a 27 his 1st attempt.
Fylnn had a 26.
Henne had a 22.
Then things went downhill with Johnson and Woodson getting bad scores.

Anyways, point being, Henne looks like he scored right around what you'd expect of him. Just above average and if he took it again I think you can safely assume he would have had a very good score instead of just above average.

LonghornsLegend
03-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Yea lets just throw out all that film on him, because that obviously doesnt mean anything now...

I love when guys get carried away after a few test, Akili Smith scored a 37, anyone know where he's at right now? Dan Marino scored a 16, and those guys are qbs.

etk
03-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Yeah, you're right, safeties do have to make a lot of smart decisions, and that's why Kenny studies film like a 10-year vet. A 16 on the Wonderlic doesn't change that.

d34ng3l021
03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, you're right, safeties do have to make a lot of smart decisions, and that's why Kenny studies film like a 10-year vet. A 16 on the Wonderlic doesn't change that.

No etk. He is the last line of defense and needs to make some decisions. His 16 on the wonderlic shows that he cant.

etk
03-23-2008, 02:23 PM

Small? Light? 6' 230 is fine for an OLB.

Slow? Highsmith posted the best 20-yard shuttle for linebackers at the combine, and any defensive coach will tell you that's the most important measurement for a LB. How often do linebackers run 40 yards in a straight line? How often do they run one way and change directions to run another way? Highsmith had the best COD time (40-20yd shuttle) at the combine.

If a team passes up Highsmith because of his 40 yard dash time, they seriously need to question how they evaluate linebackers. Personally I'd love to have a linebacker that can tackle, is instinctive and very quick and agile in short areas. The only thing he won't be able to do is return INTs for long gains.

etk
03-23-2008, 02:25 PM
No etk. He is the last line of defense and needs to make some decisions. His 16 on the wonderlic shows that he cant.

Based on your first post, I think you're sarcastic. I hope you're sarcastic.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Just to gage... Mike Vick scored a 20..

BeerBaron
03-23-2008, 02:33 PM

good find with those too.

as some people pointed out, i dont think many teams take the scores seriously as a barometer of on field intelligence, but more as an example of work ethic and preperation.

i know ive done some of the example ones you find around online and theyre not overly difficult or anything. with just a little preperation, maybe looking at ones from past examples like some people do with SATs and AP tests, can raise your score a good 10 points or so.

so if i were a coach and a player got a low score, i wouldnt worry so much about him being dumb, but jus tmore him being lazy

Cashmoney
03-23-2008, 03:41 PM
The wonderlic may not measure on-the-field intelligence necessarily, but I'd like for my players to be somewhat intelligent so they aren't screwing up off-the-field as well.

d34ng3l021
03-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Based on your first post, I think you're sarcastic. I hope you're sarcastic.

Of course I am. I would never try to argue something about a Miami player against you...

zdh87
03-24-2008, 09:15 AM

here's the wikipedia link about wonderlic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test

good info here

Brent
03-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Ali Highsmith 7/13
Good god that is awful. I remember that ESPN used to have the Wonderlic on their website one year so people could test themselves. It wasn't that hard if I remember correctly, assuming you actually learned something in your freshman college courses.

energizerbunny
03-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Ali is pulling a LaMarcus McDonald....... tis too bad

wonderbredd24
03-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I thought Phillips' 16 was actually pretty high for Miami Safeties... didn't Sean Taylor score a 6? Miami players are typically awful at the wonderlic.

eazyb81
03-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Not surprising, Vandy is a tough school.

Jonny
03-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Heh, you linked to my blog.

P-L
03-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Do you people realize that there is very little, if any, correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success?

Kurve
03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I personally think many low scores have more to do with strategy and incomplete testing then wrong answers. From what i hear the beginning of the test is usually reading comprehension. These questions take a lot longer to finish then mathematical questions or any other questions they have. I cant remember who stated this on the NFL network he said the key is to always jump to the math portion which tends to be more questions and faster to solve then the reading comprehension part so thus you lower your risk of a low test from lack of completing majority of the questions.

I have another thought to what could be a reason why some have lower scores then expected. There is a direct correlation in learning disabilities such has ADD and Dyslexia with athletic people. Much of this has to do with the development of your brain most high athletic people tend to have a very strong left side i believe which is what gives us our overall coordination also is the major factor on which someone is athletic or not. Unfortunately many with a strong left tend to have a less developed right which is correlated in speech and reading comprehension, woman in average tend to have stronger rights then men do but have a weaker left side then men. With that said ADD and Dyslexia really factors in test taking people tend to get lower scores due to these disabilities rather then having a low IQ, on a side not many people don't always know that they have these disabilities because they might be so minor but yet effect them in test taking. If you factor the possibility of majority of athletes who take this test who don't have proper preparation in taking these test and start in the reading comprehension part and correlate that with how many athletic people have add or dyslexia that could be many reasons of why some have much lower scores then expected. I wouldn't jump to conclusion on saying that someone who has a low Wonderlic score also has a low overall IQ, I'm sure many who scored low have a very high IQ level on football.

psly2124
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Do you people realize that there is very little, if any, correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success?

Not true. Most of the better QB's in the NFL right now scored higher then bad ones. It's not a coincidence considering how difficult it is to read defenses and learn a playbook. Most of the QB's must learn a couple of playbooks there first few years in the league becasue most qre on bad teams and coached get fired and most struggle becasue they can't learn it. They may have great football ability on the field but playing QB in the NFL is more then that. To score anything less then a 20 on the easiest test they have every taken is a joke. A 20 may be borderline mentally challenged. The questions on this test most 7th graders will score higher. Most positions it doesn't matter and of course there are exceptions to the rule. But if you look at the statistics of most of the QB's that scored low it took them a LONG time to learn the offense and there were not a lot of coaching changes they stayed with the same staff for an extended period. McNair was with Fisher for years and it took him over 2 years to be the regular QB, when he went to the Ravens he stunk it up. Same with Culpepper took him over a year then he played great under Dennis Green, coaching change and change of team doesn't look the same. Marino scored a 14 and was with Shula most of the time. The league was different then not as complex as it is now.

schmiddog
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
lmao that this thread has made it to two pages

the wonderlic is silly

just plain silly

BeerBaron
03-24-2008, 04:32 PM
lmao that this thread has made it to two pages

the wonderlic is silly

just plain silly

ya know, that may be true, but its still given out at the combine. the nfl feels that it must be worth something or they would just discontinue it. it probably costs them money in some way so, like i said, if they felt it was "sillly" it would go the way of the dinosaur. but it hasnt.....

iloxygenil
03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Andre Woodson 14

Looks like he's just going to continue to fall...

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Not true. Most of the better QB's in the NFL right now scored higher then bad ones. It's not a coincidence considering how difficult it is to read defenses and learn a playbook. Most of the QB's must learn a couple of playbooks there first few years in the league becasue most qre on bad teams and coached get fired and most struggle becasue they can't learn it. They may have great football ability on the field but playing QB in the NFL is more then that. To score anything less then a 20 on the easiest test they have every taken is a joke. A 20 may be borderline mentally challenged. The questions on this test most 7th graders will score higher. Most positions it doesn't matter and of course there are exceptions to the rule. But if you look at the statistics of most of the QB's that scored low it took them a LONG time to learn the offense and there were not a lot of coaching changes they stayed with the same staff for an extended period. McNair was with Fisher for years and it took him over 2 years to be the regular QB, when he went to the Ravens he stunk it up. Same with Culpepper took him over a year then he played great under Dennis Green, coaching change and change of team doesn't look the same. Marino scored a 14 and was with Shula most of the time. The league was different then not as complex as it is now.

Are you serious? We should hold it against Marino for performing so well that he never really needed a new coach? That is just ridiculous.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Are you serious? We should hold it against Marino for performing so well that he never really needed a new coach? That is just ridiculous.

So is your face.

bigbluedefense
03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Wonderlic scores are not very important. Id only consider them when evaluating qbs.

Even then, its hardly the end all of whether theyll pan out or not. But i would like an intelligent qb, so i would consider the score when evaluating quarterbacks.

TimD
03-24-2008, 09:09 PM
ouch! Rivers got owned.

yo123
03-25-2008, 01:41 AM
I know these don't mean much, but wow. Can Tracey Porter tie his own shoes?

Turtlepower
03-25-2008, 01:49 AM
I was listening to a sports radio host in Phoenix talk about a former Bengals CB who scored a 6 on the wonderlic. One day, the CB asked him how fast does his car thermometer go...

Forenci
03-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Does the Wonderlic even really matter? It asks questions irrelevant to football. I doubt coaches hold any value to it. They care more if you come into an interview at the combine and can't diagram a play on the whiteboard, I would imagine.

underscore
03-25-2008, 06:14 AM
I think the most common reason for poor scores is people trying to rush through it ("I better finish this or they'll think I'm dumb" ) or people who don't really care ("No one cares if a guy at my position gets a low score, I'm still going first round")

Brent
03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
I find it interesting because it's not that hard of a test. Assuming you paid attention in your classes or even graduated, you shouldn't do poorly. Example of test: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

brat316
03-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Godser Cherilus 50 perfection

psly2124
03-25-2008, 05:05 PM

NO but that was my point. I could have used McNabb too. How is it rediculous? Find a QB with a low score who had a lot of coaches from the beginning and you will see QB's out of the league. If a QB has a low score and has stability at the coaching position they can be successful.

Michigan
03-25-2008, 05:22 PM
do gm's even take wonderlic (as long as it's double digists) into account?

underscore
03-25-2008, 07:39 PM
It's not meant to be a hard test, nor is it meant to be an intelligence test.

It's meant to see how you think under pressure/being put on the spot.