PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who thinks the Dolphins draft Matt Ryan first overall?

The Hurricane
03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
New GM, new coach. They have no real loyalty to John Beck since they didn't draft him and Beck was pretty bad last year. Granted it was a tough situation and his supporting cast was bad but he is certainly a huge question mark. The Dolphins signed McCown but he is not a long term solution and unless the Dolphins finish in last place again next year this is the best shot the dolphins have at landing a franchise QB. Tebow (assuming he declares as a junior) is the only QB in the '09 draft class that I would give a better grade than Ryan and it is very possible he will be the first overall pick in '09. Passing on a QB of Ryan's caliber is a very risky move for the Dolphins and I think they will ultimately make the right decision and take him 1st overall. Does anybody else have any thoughts on this?

BaLLiN
03-23-2008, 10:24 PM
yep your the only one thinks the dolphins draft ryan first overall, except for the millions of people that dont know **** about the draft.

hugegmenfan
03-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't know actually. It would not a be a huge shocker to be honest. I personally believe they draft Jake Long, gut it out with McCown and go Chad Henne 2nd round but Ryan is def possibly. He is not the #1 value in this draft, but they could

The Hurricane
03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
yep your the only one thinks the dolphins draft ryan first overall, except for the millions of people that dont know **** about the draft.

keep it constructive please. If you disagree, state your reason why in an intelligent manner.

BamaFalcon59
03-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I could see Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey, Vernon Gholston, Matt Ryan, or Chris Long going to the Miami Dolphins with the first pick in the National Football League draft. Basically it is an open book.

SKim172
03-23-2008, 10:35 PM
It wouldn't be a huge shocker, but it's always a risk to draft a QB in the first round, even moreso with the first pick. Parcells is a defense-minded guy and there's a lot of elite defensive talent that won't be around in the second, which is why people are thinking he won't be going QB.

I expect Ryan to get drafted by the Falcons - all their offseasons moves have been focused on fixing their major holes, except for the quarterback.

BamaFalcon59
03-23-2008, 10:39 PM
It wouldn't be a huge shocker, but it's always a risk to draft a QB in the first round, even moreso with the first pick. Parcells is a defense-minded guy and there's a lot of elite defensive talent that won't be around in the second, which is why people are thinking he won't be going QB.

I expect Ryan to get drafted by the Falcons - all their offseasons moves have been focused on fixing their major holes, except for the quarterback.

I thought the Falcons were busy making huge holes. Defensive tackle, middle linebacker, cornerback, offensive tackle, and quarterback all remain big holes. Runningback and safety are the only positions that have been addressed, and safety we might not be done with. We have plenty of needs, and a few of them have been developed or brought along by the front office. Alright, I am done with my rant against the Atlanta Falcons front office. Although it could turn out good in the long run, a few things I am still angry about.

draftguru151
03-23-2008, 10:53 PM
They've definitely showed interest in Ryan. I remember something on SI(?) about Parcells contacting Jagodzinski asking him for film of everyone of Ryan's passes. Also from what I've heard Ireland really wants Ryan. That said I'd be somewhat shocked to see the pick happen, but I'd be more shocked if it was Jake Long.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure how Henne helps the Dolphins any more than Beck does. Just because he was brought in by this staff?

If the Fins pass on Ryan, I think they'd be better off biting the bullet with Lemon and/or Beck until they find the QB they want to move on - whether it be in the draft or free agency. For all the good information Scott has put together on the success rate of 2nd, 3rd, 4th round, etc QBs; it more than anything makes me believe an organization should not take a guy at this position just for the sake of doing it. If you don't have "The Guy" make do with stop gaps until you find him. Wonder if Parcells is open to talking The Statue out of retirement since he seems to have a knack for losing his job to good QBs?

roughrider
03-23-2008, 10:57 PM
unless they hire matt millen anytime soon I would say your the only one dude

DawgBone
03-23-2008, 10:58 PM
What do you think the odds of Ryan getting a throw off in time are with the OL he will be working with?

This reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. He has a great arm that can get the ball downfield 70 plus yards, but how often will he have the time it takes in the pockett to throw the ball?

If your not going to upgrade your OL the best thing to do is get a moble QB that can run from the colapsing mess IMO lol.

PACKmanN
03-23-2008, 11:01 PM
well if they want to fill a need then they could take Brohm in the start of the second round, which there isn't much of an upside difference. If they want to go BPA, then he not the best player.

So no, I don't think they take him.

awfullyquiet
03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
What do you think the odds of Ryan getting a throw off in time are with the OL he will be working with?

This reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. He has a great arm that can get the ball downfield 70 plus yards, but how often will he have the time it takes in the pockett to throw the ball?

If your not going to upgrade your OL the best thing to do is get a moble QB that can run from the colapsing mess IMO lol.

that's not the point of power. the point of power is if you can put it 70 yards downfield you should be able to lower your angle of trajectory and put the biscuit in the out route basket faster than anyone else. which is why you don't see chad pennington throwing too many out routes (unless they're option routes that go out).

not really OT, but just an fyi before you open your mouth again.

ThePudge
03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes, I think as of right now Matt Ryan may be the front-runner for the top pick. He's not getting that hype, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Just so you know, these boards are incredibly low on Ryan, and for what reason?

John Beck didn't work out in his first year. Does this mean he should be gone completely? No, but he was Cam Cameron's guy. Parcells and Sparano came in and more or less cleaned house. Who's to say they won't replace Beck with Ryan, a potential franchise passer?

Jake Long isn't a player who will turn this franchise around, neither is Chris Long. Both would certainly help, but I don't see either having that star potential that a #1 Pick should have. Jake is not the prospect Joe Thomas was, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, or Robert Gallery was, it's still being questioned whether he can play LT in the NFL and how much upside he has. Chris Long fits as a 3-4 OLB in their system, but he's not the type of explosive playmaker Shawn Merriman is and doesn't have that much upside. He will be a very solid player, no doubt about that, but I think he lacks that star potential. I love Gholston, but part of me thinks he's a bit too raw for Parcells to gamble on that early.

So that leaves Matt Ryan, a potential franchise QB. Ryan has all the physical tools, the athleticism, the pocket presence, the experience, the toughness, the intangibles to be a very good QB. Further along in the way of mental development than any QB prospect of recent years and won't have a huge learning curve after playing against a high level of competion in college, in a Pro-style offense.

toonsterwu
03-23-2008, 11:10 PM
No, you aren't the only one. A lot of people think that way as well.

Right now, my guess is that, if they keep the pick (and I think Parcells preference is clearly to deal down first), it's Ryan or Chris Long, with Jake Long and Vernon Gholston coming up on the outside.

If I remember correctly, early in January (or maybe it was late December), there were reports that suggested Parcells was a big fan of Matt Ryan, though I could be off base here.

The dynamics of the situation are quite interesting. I think they would talk up any player in the draft if Parcells felt it could help trade down. But there's a heavy sell on Chris Long that's been emanating over recent weeks from the media, and one has to wonder if Parcells has been the one pushing this forward. It very well could be that they love him, as he does fit, and that it's just things coalescing. But a heavy sell this early is odd. They've made a quiet sell on Ryan as well, with the tape requests and so forth.

I'm still not sold on Jake Long. Just don't see it. It's Parcells. I'm sure there's a case somewhere in Parcells history of taking an OL in the first (too lazy to check), but there just haven't been that many instances of it. I can see them targeting Sam Baker in the 2nd (and before I hear any incredulous comments, keep in mind that he did love Jacob Rogers, and Baker grades out better than Rogers, and is a similar style in some respects). As for Gholston, tempting. We'll see if Gholston can move p from the 4-8 area to demand that high a slot.

Taking Ryan won't be a popular move, but it does make some sense. If they take him, I think they sit him for a year as they build up the rest of the team. There will be those that argue that, to that extent, they should draft a Flacco in the 2nd. The thing is, there's a lot more work with a Flacco, and even a Henne or a Brohm than there is with a Ryan. That said, Chris Long (or Vernon Gholston) gives them the edge guy to build around, with Jason Taylor and Joey Porter not for long there, and Parcells needs a guy to build around defensively. Furthermore, Long's versatility gives them a lot of options to play with.

That said, if a deal comes along, expect the trigger to be pulled and they'll go looking later. If they deal down, then I could see Jake Long come into play. It's just hard to see who deals up at this moment.

If I had to take a guess as of now, I'd guess Ryan. putting percents on it, i'd say 45 Ryan, 35 Chris Long, 20 someone else/trade.

The Hurricane
03-23-2008, 11:11 PM

Good point, there is a lot of elite defensive talent at the top of this draft, but I just did some digging and Beck is only the SECOND QB the Dolphins have drafted in ANY round since Marino retired in 1999. The other QB was 6th rounder Josh Heupel in 2001 . And it's not like the Dolphins brought in any real talent either. The QBs they have had since Marino have been journeymen at best. The Dolphins have a lot of holes and I'm sure an elite defender would be a useful asset to their defense for years to come, however, they have already tried neglecting the QB position for almost a decade and it hasn't worked out particularly well for them. The Dolphins might not find a Chris Long, Glen Dorsey, or Vernon Gholston in rounds 2-4 but chances are they'll be able to find at least a couple solid defenders to shore up their defense.

toonsterwu
03-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Well, they haven't necessarily neglected it, but rather, made some poor decisions trying to find the future. They dealt a 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley, I believe, and there was another trade for a QB I think somewhere with a relatively high pick, but the name's slipping me.

Just some poor scouting. It's fine to trade for a young QB, but they've missed, which is why they haven't had a long term QB since Marino.

CC.SD
03-23-2008, 11:28 PM
I've definitely come around to thinking Matt Ryan might be the pick, for pretty much the reasons above. Also, do you really want 35 mill going to a D-lineman? No. and Jake Long isn't the first pick let's face it.

You'd think there'd be somebody crying out "Remember Brady Quinn" a little louder. The Dolphins have to be looking for a leader and Ryan is staring them in the face; then again, so is Chris Long. I think at the top of the mountain, you take the quarterback and build from there.

DonWoods33
03-24-2008, 12:20 AM

The huge shocker was Phil Sims at 7 in 1979. Parcells definitely benefited from that shrewd move (although it was George Young and Ray Perkins that made that pick). There were howls then from Giants fans then far and wide. But the guy was a great player, and close to a Hall of Famer. He took Bledsoe in 93, although Drew was the consensus number 1 that year. I think he could easily conclude that Ryan is the best option out there for him. There seems like a lot of hate for the guy on this site though.

adamprez2003
03-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Well count me in the "millions of people who dont know **** about the draft" as ballin72 called us because I also see Ryan as being the pick unless they can trade down which would be Parcells first choice. I'm wondering if one of the reasons we're now hearing Chris Long being mentioned is because of the supposed love affair that the Rams are showing him. I would imagine that the dollar amount is not that drastically different between #1 and #2 and maybe Parcells is playing up Chris Long in hopes of a swap of number ones with a 3rd or 4th rounder thrown in. At this point its pretty obvious noone is inclined to pay 65 million for Ryan AND give up draft picks for the chance to get him

YAYareaRB
03-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Too much other problems to draft ANOTHER QB. Also, too early to give up on John Beck. He didn't beat the world his first year but why not give him and extra year to prove himself.

Race for the Heisman
03-24-2008, 09:45 AM
I think they will pick Gholston. The Dolphins have been showing interest in a variety of players so asking for coaches' tape or holding a private workout mean less to me than they might normally would. However, even though it has been shown that Parcells' will take a quarterback early, he is a defensive guy. His past drafts show him to be intimately more acquainted with that side of the ball.

The pick that makes most sense to be from a need perspective is Jake Long. While I'm sure Parcells' values linemen, if he (Long) might only be a right tackle in a somewhat deeper class, Parcells' shaky history with first round offensive linemen might scare him off.

As far as defensive players, it would have to be Gholston or Chris Long. I can't see Dorsey or Ellis being the pick with the level of interest shown in them. Both Porter and Jason Taylor are getting older. Porter might be able to play inside. From a versatility perspective Chris Long makes far more sense, and there is Parcells' connective with Al Groh. On the other hand, Parcells' seems to favor Big 10 schools somewhat in his drafts. It doesn't seemed to have happened, but I though Gholston might get knocked for comparing to Bobby Carpenter. But that aside, Gholston has more upside. In the end, that was what sold it for me. Chris Long could come in a be a beast, but what Gholston could potentially be was what finally made me believe it would him rather than Long.

As for Gholston vs Ryan? It could be either. My gut just says Gholston. Even if he might compare to Carpenter, there were rumors regarding the number one pick being traded to the Cowboys with Carpenter going the other way. Maybe Parcells' still likes him. Maybe he's just a stubborn bastard and he'll do it again. I don't know, but like I said, my gut says Gholston.

LonghornsLegend
03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
I just dont buy the Dolphins taking another qb in round 2, its very rare a team takes a qb in round 2 two years in a row, its either you give trust in the young guy, or you take the "elite" qb prospect in round 1, you take another round 2 guy and your in the same boat expect you have a guy thats less developed...They have no idea if Beck can be that qb because he hasnt been given a franchise LT to throw behind or alot of weapons to get the ball to...

P-L
03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
I could easily see it happening. I don't necessarily think he's the favorite to go #1 overall, but I think there is a pretty good chance of it happening.

The Hurricane
03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Too much other problems to draft ANOTHER QB. Also, too early to give up on John Beck. He didn't beat the world his first year but why not give him and extra year to prove himself.

The Dolphins don't have a QB, they have a career backup. Even if they don't draft a QB, he'll have a year to prove himself at most. By the same logic I could say:

Too much other problems to draft ANOTHER LB. Too early to give up on Edmond Miles.

scottyboy
03-24-2008, 10:39 AM
eh, I say give Beck a shot. He had VERY little to work with last year. I don't see how you give up on a 2nd rounder QB after 1 year. It doesnt make sense to ME. But that's me, and I'm not the phins. Who knows what they could be thinking. I say, start Beck, get him some help and go from there. If he pays off, good, if not, they suck, and perhaps look QB next year etc. If Beck does horrible, look for Miami to get Mike Teel #1 overal next year

BaLLiN
03-24-2008, 05:17 PM
keep it constructive please. If you disagree, state your reason why in an intelligent manner.

it was sarcasm, i thought people would know that it is a possibility and that it was sarcasm because Parcells has chosen QBs high, and because Miami doesn't have a good QB situation. Im sorry if you thought i was trying to attack you.

Packman1957
03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I just think it might be a little too early for Ryan at #1, he is not the best prospect in this draft IMO, Chris Long is the consensus number 1 in this draft. Parcells is a defensive minded guy, and Chris Long is just a Bill Parcells type of guy. Too me he seems to make more sense for the Phins. Also John Beck hasn't been given a fair shot, I know Parcells didn't draft him and all, but still I think he has to wait it out at least another year or even look in the 2nd round. I think they start re-building this franchise and Long would be a good start.