PDA

View Full Version : Team questions

Yatta!
03-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Well several threads have been started recently because its relatively quiet atm. So hopefully this sparks some debate, these are just questions that I keep asking myself after reading mock drafts and in particular people's reactions to mocks. I've directed one question to the fans of each team and it will be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

Miami Dolphins Is O-line or D-line a greater need?
St Louis Rams If you drafted Jake Long, where would he play to begin with?
Atlanta Falcons What have you got against drafting a potential franchise QB?
Oakland Raiders Would you prefer a playmaker on offence or defence (I'm assuming you'll pick either McFadden or Gholston)?
Kansas City Chiefs How likely are you to reach for a tackle if Jake Long is gone?
New York Jets Is there a scenario where you would pass on McFadden if he's availiable?
New England Patriots Are you more likely to reach for Keith Rivers or draft a corner?
Baltimore Ravens Will you draft a QB early on and if so, who is the most likely target?
Cincinnati Bengals If Ellis is gone, is Mendenhall a viable option or will Rivers/Merling/Harvey be the more likely pick?
New Orleans Saints Is trading up for Ellis a possibility or would you rather stay put and draft a CB?
Buffalo Bills Presumably you take a WR in the 1st but whats the most pressing need after that CB? LB?
Denver Broncos Rank the rest of your needs after a tackle, I would say DT, LB, WR, S.
Carolina Panthers Is RB a possibility in the 1st, if not when is that need addressed?
Chicago Bears When will you look at QBs and WRs, which players are likely targets? Could you trade back into the 1st for Flacco or Brohm?
Detroit Lions Is CB still a pressing need after the signings of Bodden and Kelly?
Arizona Cardinals Is RB really a big need when Edge is still performing well?
Minnesota Vikings Are WR and S still needs after your free agent signings?
Houston Texans Is there any chance of you trading up for an OT?
Philadelphia Eagles When will you draft a WR and why do you dislike taking DeSean Jackson?
Tampa Bay Bucs Is WR really more of a need than DT, when Kentwan Balmer figures to be a logical pick at 20?
Washington Redskins What would you prefer in the 1st: DE or WR?
Dallas Cowboys How much chance is there of trading up for McFadden?
Pittsburgh Steelers Excluding O-Line what other positions need to be addressed early?
Tennessee Titans What scenario would involve you taking something other than a WR in the 1st?
Seattle Seahawks Is TE really an option in the 1st, when the value doesn't seem to be there?
Jacksonville Jaguars Which of the DEs would you prefer and why? Merling, Campbell, Jackson, Groves?
San Diego Chargers After S and RT what is the most pressing need?
San Francisco 49ers Is a WR likely to be drafted in the early rounds?
Green Bay Packers How would you feel about trading up for one of the top CBs?
New York Giants Whats wrong with Dan Connor?
Indianapolis Colts Is there any prospect you could envisage trading up for?
Cleveland Browns Are you guys even gonna bother watching the draft?

scottyboy
03-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Connor,IMO(and most Giants fans) is better suited for MLB in the pros(ala Puz). Even Scott has Connor listed as a MLB in his rankings. We don't need a MLB, as we have Antonio Pierce, who is only 28 and doesn't need a replacement just yet. Many say he's losing a step, he's not, he's just over weight and slow...
Our D is based on athleticism and having LB's cover(with us starting Butler, they better be able to do it damn well too). Connor doesn't have fluid hips and is fairly weak at turning and running with TE's and RB's. We have guys play OLB as well. Don't give us "You lost 2 starters from teh Super Bowlzz!"

- Micthell recieved a 1 year "show me" contract and was brought in to provide a leader and compition for then 2nd year pro Gerris Wilkinson. When Wilk got hurt, th job went to Mitchell, and he never played bad enough to lose it. He wanted a fair amount of $$$ and the coaches like Wilk, who happens to be younger, cheaper, under contract, quicker and faster.

- Torbor was never a fit in NY, being more of a 3-4 rush backer. That's why he's a perfect fit in Miami, where he may start. Smart career move by him, as he'd continue to ride the bench in Giants blue. Kiwanuka is the starter for us, and was before his injury. The coaches have said he'll stay at OLB for now and felt he progressed very nicely last year.

We also need secondary, with Gibril gone, Butler still here, Johnson being raw, Webster being inconsistant as hell, Madison and R.W. being old, and Dockery being a smurf.

Jakey
03-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Steelers positions excluding o-line...

- CB
- DE
- WR
- OLB Depth

^In no particular order^

ThePudge
03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Cincinnati Bengals - At 9th Overall Rashard Mendenhall is a very viable option. However, it'd likely mean that Dorsey, Ellis, AND Derrick Harvey are not available. Cincinnati seems to be in a transition, yet again, to rebuild the Running Back position. In the 2nd Round of last year's draft we added Kenny Irons, who would be the lightning to Rashard Mendenhall/Matt Forte's thunder. After watching the wear and tear on Rudi Johnson, a possible cap casualty, I would think the Bengals will try to move to more of that two-back system that has been so effective for some other teams. All they need is that second RB. So yes, very valid pick.

Keith Rivers... not so valid. Linebacker is a need misunderstood by the media and even most draft experts. If, or rather when, we draft a Linebacker in this year’s draft, it will not be to start right away. Dhani Jones is our current starter at WLB, like it or not. Jones, of course, is not the long-term solution. However, with his three year contract, it buys new Defensive Coordinator Mike Zimmer and new Linebackers Coach Jeff Fitzgerald enough time to develop their type of LB. They each favor bigger, more athletic types at LB. Fitzgerald turned Mid-Late Round picks Adalius Thomas and Bart Scott (UDFA) into stars in Baltimore and guys like Jarret Johnson and Antwan Barnes into serviceable players. Mike Zimmer played a big part in the development of DeMarcus Ware in Dallas. The trend is, as I said before, bigger, more athletic LB’s that may struggle with technique. We’d likely sit the player for a year or so, play him mostly on Special Teams, then gradually move him into the lineup. So I wouldn’t buy into the Keith Rivers hype as it is, most likely, not true. Auburn’s Quentin Groves may be considered a reach at 9th Overall, but is the top fit for the Bengals at LB. Other players who would fit the bill in the 3rd-4th are Purdue’s Stanford Keglar, GT’s Gary Guyton, Nevada’s Ezra Butler, Georgia’s Marcus Howard, and BYU’s Bryan Kehl. A couple late-round sleepers include Clark’s Curtis Johnson and Vanderbilt’s Curtis Gatewood.

Harvey is an excellent fit and gives us one more gifted pass-rusher to play with in our rotation.

Because Phillip Merling isn't a great pass-rusher, I would doubt the pick would be him at 9. Merling's stock is also slipping a bit. Though it's unlikely he'll get too far out of the Top 20, he'd be a reach at 9 for a player who didn't exactly fit the Bengals system. If Cincinnati took him it would be so he could enter their rotation at DE, then move inside to DT on passing downs. I just doubt the Bengals would reach for a player like that there. Not saying it's impossible, but I doubt it.

9th Overall Pick
1. Sedrick Ellis
2. Glenn Dorsey
3. Derrick Harvey
4. Rashard Mendenhall
5. Quentin Groves
6. Jeff Otah
7. Ryan Clady
8. Phillip Merling

skinzzfan25
03-24-2008, 10:38 AM
For the skins, it's strange....

I think they go BPA, not really by need. OL, CB, DL, and WR are all needs for us. If Branden Albert falls to us, we must take him. If it were a toss up between Merling/Balmer or Kelly/Sweed, I think I'd rather have Kelly.

vidae
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Kansas City Chiefs How likely are you to reach for a tackle if Jake Long is gone?

I'd say it's 50/50. If the rumors about Herm loving Jeff Otah are true, I think he'd probably pull the trigger on him, but I can also see him passing up offensive line talent to grab Dorsey or Ellis, the dominating presence in the middle to help complete his defense.

If I had to pick one, I think that Clady will be the pick at five, but you can never be too certain of what's going to happen with Carl Peterson making the decisions.

vidae
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Carolina Panthers Is RB a possibility in the 1st, if not when is that need addressed?

I have a friend who would absolutely hate for this to happen. They drafted a RB first round two years ago who hasn't had his shot to be the starting guy.

Crickett
03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
New York Jets Is there a scenario where you would pass on McFadden if he's availiable?

Yes, if Vernon Gholston is there too.

rockio42
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
St Louis Rams If you drafted Jake Long, where would he play to begin with?

HE would probably have to play RG/LG because we just signed Jacob Bell, and if Barron and Pace are healthy then are only hole is at RG, and even then we have a potential starter there in Richie Incognito who showed that he can be a great starter...bottom line is that the Rams shouldn't take Jake Long and need to take either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston

eaglesalltheway
03-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Eagles: We will take a WR first or second, maybe third. It is our biggest need, but not by far like some are suggesting. The argument for Safety as our biggest need can be made, and OT is a big need as well. Both of those positions have aging starters and questions in who could be filling those holes. WR has good players, but no true #1. As of this moment we have two more than above average starters in OT and a HOF player in Dawkins. Justice still can be a successful starter for the Eagles, but he needs to prove more, and Considine has proven he can play (Despite what some think) but there is still a gap one the Safety positions, as Considine could play either. There is just as much doubt at the Safety spot as there is WR. I beleive that is the Eagles don't get a WR in the first two rounds, they may not get one at all, because they need to upgrade the position, and have enough mediocre receivers. Which brings us to the DeSean Jackson argument... As stated before we need a #1 receiver. We also need a returner, which is why a lot of teams are having him go to the Eagles. But there is a major problem in this theory. Yes he is a receiver, and a great returner. I, like most Eagles fans, don't argue that at all. The reasons he is not a good fit for the Eagles are as follows.
We need a #1 receiver, DeSean Jackson value is in his returning and playmaking ability. He is most likely a slot receiver or a #2 option, at best.
Jackson does not fit our system. Yes he played in the WCO at Cal, but he is not a WCO WR. Here is where a lot will argue. For him to be successful in a NFL WCO, he will be no more than a #2 WR, and that is not what we need.
Limas Sweed and Malcolm Kelly are perfect WCO WR prospects. They have size and quickness, not necessarily speed, but Sweed has shown he is able to attain more than acceptable speed in this offense. The jury is out on Kelly, but I am a supporter, and think he would fit perfectly. Hardy would also be a better option for the WCO WR, but he is not regarded as highly as those two. Devin Thomas si also a good WR for the WCO as a prospect in terms of size, quickness, hands, etc. but there is a major concern in terms of his limited college production, and I am not alone in saying he could be a bust, especially if he is taken in the first. Jackson is the only WR at the top of its class that is not a good fit for the WCO, and is the one who has the least potential to develop into a #1 WR, and I think there are many that would agree.

jackalope
03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Green Bay Packers How would you feel about trading up for one of the top CBs?

My ideal draft scenario for Green Bay would be to use the 2nd rounder from Cleavland and trade up to the middle of the first for Mike Jenkins or DRC. Green Bay doesn't really have any needs that need to be filled outside of getting a young #3 corner, so trading up seems to make sense. Ted Thompson has never traded up in the past and generally trades down and stockpiles picks, but if we keep trading down we'll have to cut lots of young talent. With such a deep draft, a lot of teams will be looking to trade down, so we should be able to get a decent price in a trade up.

Abaddon
03-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Re: Oakland

Defense, definitely. McFadden would be a luxury pick. Oakland drafting for luxury would be on par with a hobo spending his panhandling money on a gold chain.

With literally no one to man the RE spot, Gholston is as good a pick as any. Dorsey would be great as well. has to be D-line, though.

A case can be made for Jake Long, but it appears as though Coach Cable is content to work his magic on the two scrubs we have vying for the LT position. ZBS teams rarely spend #1 picks on OLs, and never in the top 5.

Sniper
03-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Eagles: We will take a WR first or second, maybe third. It is our biggest need, but not by far like some are suggesting. The argument for Safety as our biggest need can be made, and OT is a big need as well. Both of those positions have aging starters and questions in who could be filling those holes. WR has good players, but no true #1. As of this moment we have two more than above average starters in OT and a HOF player in Dawkins. Justice still can be a successful starter for the Eagles, but he needs to prove more, and Considine has proven he can play (Despite what some think) but there is still a gap one the Safety positions, as Considine could play either. There is just as much doubt at the Safety spot as there is WR. I beleive that is the Eagles don't get a WR in the first two rounds, they may not get one at all, because they need to upgrade the position, and have enough mediocre receivers. Which brings us to the DeSean Jackson argument... As stated before we need a #1 receiver. We also need a returner, which is why a lot of teams are having him go to the Eagles. But there is a major problem in this theory. Yes he is a receiver, and a great returner. I, like most Eagles fans, don't argue that at all. The reasons he is not a good fit for the Eagles are as follows.
We need a #1 receiver, DeSean Jackson value is in his returning and playmaking ability. He is most likely a slot receiver or a #2 option, at best.
Jackson does not fit our system. Yes he played in the WCO at Cal, but he is not a WCO WR. Here is where a lot will argue. For him to be successful in a NFL WCO, he will be no more than a #2 WR, and that is not what we need.
Limas Sweed and Malcolm Kelly are perfect WCO WR prospects. They have size and quickness, not necessarily speed, but Sweed has shown he is able to attain more than acceptable speed in this offense. The jury is out on Kelly, but I am a supporter, and think he would fit perfectly. Hardy would also be a better option for the WCO WR, but he is not regarded as highly as those two. Devin Thomas si also a good WR for the WCO as a prospect in terms of size, quickness, hands, etc. but there is a major concern in terms of his limited college production, and I am not alone in saying he could be a bust, especially if he is taken in the first. Jackson is the only WR at the top of its class that is not a good fit for the WCO, and is the one who has the least potential to develop into a #1 WR, and I think there are many that would agree.

^^^^What he said^^^^

You don't want me to get into full DeSean Jackson hate mode.

BeerBaron
03-24-2008, 11:33 AM
for the Bears:

i believe the 2nd round is most likely the place the bears start to look at QBs. with ryan likely to be off the board and no value at QB when they pick at 14, the bears will most likely try to get one of the top 4 tackles of the draft there. RT and LG are the bears two biggest holes on offense and will likely try and get one of clady, chris williams or otah at 14. if by some unlikely chance all of the top OTs are taken, i believe the ebars look hard at mendenhall or try to trade down. if those options are absent, i look at them to take brandon albert as a last ditch effort.

as for WR, it is highly unlikely they go there in round 1. i see them as waiting until one of their 3rd round picks at the earliest to address that spot. jerome simpson seems to be one guy they are keying in on. they will probably also look at any other bigger WRs that are available around then as they lack any real size in their receiving corps.

so i would say 2nd at the earliest for QB and 3rd at the earliest for WR.

as for trading back up, it is possible but i would say unlikely.

hope this helps

YAYareaRB
03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
San Francisco 49ers Is a WR likely to be drafted in the early rounds?

The Bryant Johnson signing is pushing back the likelihood of us taking a WR in the first two rounds. I wouldn't mind nabbing one in the 2nd round or 3rd. I think getting a Pass Rusher is more of a priority with the 49ers. Quentin Groves is a guy who comes to mind when I think about the 49ers 1st Rounder. Offensive Tackle is also another priority over WR. There's enough quality guys in the later rounds.

JagHombre22
03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
well, For Jacksonville...it would obviously be Merling, he's the most complete DE of that group....it's all about how injured is he and can he make a 100% recovery from his hernia surgery...

I wouldn't mind Groves though, although he'll play linebacker at the next level...

Crickett
03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
The Bryant Johnson signing is pushing back the likelihood of us taking a WR in the first two rounds. I wouldn't mind nabbing one in the 2nd round or 3rd. I think getting a Pass Rusher is more of a priority with the 49ers. Quentin Groves is a guy who comes to mind when I think about the 49ers 1st Rounder. Offensive Tackle is also another priority over WR. There's enough quality guys in the later rounds.

IIRC, Bryant Johnson is signed to a one year deal. And he'd kind of never had more than 750 yards in any season.

Splat
03-24-2008, 12:11 PM

IMO they only reach on an OT if Long,Dorsey and Ellis are gone and they can't find a team to trade down with.

YAYareaRB
03-24-2008, 01:07 PM
IIRC, Bryant Johnson is signed to a one year deal. And he'd kind of never had more than 750 yards in any season.

Well we just found out that it was a 5 year deal so they must be looking to him grow into the #1 Role..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6353/news;_ylt=AuGKrPN.G557aJ3_DIM0RY7.uLYF

Yatta!
03-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Gotta say I agree with most of whats being said. Only thing I'm not sure about was Branden Albert being a lock to the Redskins, I still think DE & WR are greater needs. Also as a Packers fan I would love to see us trade up for one of the premier CBs.

Cashmoney
03-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Titans would pass on a WR if they didn't feel they were getting the right value at their spot. If so, they'd probably take the best available D-Lineman, or maybe a CB.

foozball
03-24-2008, 02:18 PM
texans will probably go with the best OT or CB available at 18. No way we move up. we dont have the resources.

DawgBone
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
"Cleveland Browns Are you guys even gonna bother watching the draft?"

Heck yes!!!! I love the draft in general and would watch even if Art Model found a way to sell our team again despite having no ownership of it.

But having Phil Savage as a GM means you allways have to be on your toes and anything can happen in a given round.