PDA

View Full Version : Spring Practice News/Notes

Pages : [1] 2

M.O.T.H.
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Post what's going on with your team right now. Who's hot/who's not, position battles, injuries, position changes, scheme changes, etc.

M.O.T.H.
03-24-2008, 12:29 PM
South Carolina Gamecocks

Former 5 star recruit, Chris Culliver, moved from WR to Safety.

Star DE, Eric Norwood, has moved to OLB and OLB, Cliff Matthews, has moved to DE.

Arguably, the Gamecocks two best players on each side of the ball, are both nursing injuries and havent practiced yet. WR, Kenny Mckinley and CB, Captain Munnerlyn. Starting DT, Nate Pepper is also out...he hopes to be back in time for the start of the season. Other injuries...Marvin Sapp, Gurminder Thind, Dustin Lindsey, and Nick Prochack.

Jasper Brinkley has returned from knee surgery and has already begun practicing. Just two weeks ago, it was looking like he would miss all of the spring drills.

Steve Spurrier has given no implication as to who his starting Qb will be. Chris Smelley and Stephen Garcia remain the favorites w/ Tommy Beecher having a decent shot as well. Spurrier did say, there would be an increased emphasis on the QBs ability to move with the football. This was evident during drills...and gives an edge to Garcia.

Defensive tackles, Ladi Ajiboye (6'1 305), Marques Hall (6'3 314), and Kenrick Ellis (6'5 353) have each put on atleast 10 pounds of muscle.

Starters, Mike Davis, Carlos Thomas, Dion Lecorn, and Kenrick Ellis are all facing suspensions. The most severe being a 3 game suspension for Ellis. Others receiving suspensions...Matt Clement, Jordin and Dustin Lindsey, and potentially Stephen Garcia.

Billingsley26
03-24-2008, 01:00 PM
MOTH, anyword on Gur Thind? Is he still going to be pegged in as the starting RG?

scottyboy
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
This just in: Rutgers is still awesome

couple notes I'll post from RU camp after practice

Billingsley26
03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
This just in: Rutgers is still awesome

couple notes I'll post from RU camp after practice

Also, anyword on Jamal Westerman's brother Jawaan Westerman? He was a redshirt WR last year.

M.O.T.H.
03-24-2008, 01:14 PM
MOTH, anyword on Gur Thind? Is he still going to be pegged in as the starting RG?

Thanks for reminding me...he's currently injured, I just added him to my above post. He's got an ailing back. Anyway, nothing is guaranteed...we have open competitions along the entire line. He's an early favorite but, anything can happen.

kwilk103
03-24-2008, 02:23 PM
wvu: nothing major; couple starters out with injuries (will be back for fall practice); couple of position changes (de to fb, again nothing major)

throwing on 60% of the plays

rs freshmen bradley starks and charlie russell get a majority of the snaps (pat was held out with shoulder soreness from never throwing this much, jarrett brown is on the bball team)

we're currently on spring break, so practice doesnt resume until monday

as expected, defense is ahead of the offense, although pat did lead the 1st team offense to a td in a 2 min drill

nothing major, which is a good thing

Tampa 2 4 life
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
USF:

Jake Sims looks good moving from LG to LT.

Grothe hurt his back but nothing major.

Pretty quiet besides that.

scottyboy
03-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Also, anyword on Jamal Westerman's brother Jawaan Westerman? He was a redshirt WR last year.

no, not much at all. Helped around last year on the scout team, but damn is the kid skinny. 5'10 160? damn

Won't see much time, especially with Britt, Underwood, Brown, and Campbell. But his future seems bright, as he's got wheels. so when Underwood and Campbell graduate and if Britt goes pro, he'll get his shot. He and DC Jefferson(who's getting redshirted) seem to be the offense of the future.

RB Kordell Young is looking pretty good coming of knee surgery. Still ginger(haha dg151) on quick cuts, but gradually getting better.

Couple of young guys including soph Mason Robinson and a redshirt from last year(as a frosh) Joe Martinek are looking REALLY good. Young and Robinson looked like the primary guys to replace Raymell, but Martinek has been TEARING UP the practice squad D and will get more looks to get more carries and playing time

Schiano tends to keep VERY quiet about his defense until the week before opening week.

We're returning 7 out of 11 guys on O, and 8 out of 11 on D. but we also lost Ito too :(

Billingsley26
03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Is there any word if he was offered a scholly this year? I know last year he walked on at Rutgers and was redshirted. Any idea?

Yea he is mad skinny. Nothing that a couple hard months in the gym could fix.

etk
03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Miami - lots of buzz:

-All our backs got stronger and more athletic. JJ and Coop will improve and the backups will surprise as well.
-Aldarius Johnson is a beast at WR.
-Our offensive line will be huge, and Joel Figueroa could figure into the mix because of his physical tools. Jason Fox has bulked up a lot
-Allen Bailey is a stud at DE. Once he gets the mental part down he will be an improvement over Calais Campbell.
-Sean Spence is starting at SLB right now, but he's only about 205 so who knows how long that will last. Arthur Brown is struggling with the college game. Glenn Cook is leading the D at MLB.
-Our defensive backs could be the weakest unit on the team, but they played well in scrimmages.
-Injuries: Colin McCarthy and Dwayne Hendricks, among others. Jermaine McKenzie and Anthony Reddick are not quite 100% either.

Jonny
03-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Scotty, how'd you get into practice?

BigJohn98
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Rick Trickett is pissed off right now. The offensive linemen are being soft.

yourfavestoner
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Florida (from what I've read):
-Top JUCO recruit Carl Moore doesn't drop a thing. His routes are a little sloppy, but he has amazing concentration and hands
-Nobody can cover Deonte Thompson. His speed is electric. He will likely fill Bubba Caldwell's role and excel at it.
-DE Carlos Dunlap is the biggest man on the field
-Percy Harvin is Percy Harvin

There haven't been any contact practices yet, so the advantage has been tilted towards the offense.

scottyboy
03-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Scotty, how'd you get into practice?

I didn't. I've heard numerous reports about Martinek tearing it up. From where Young was at the end of last season and hearing a bit from the spring so far, I kinda put 2 and 2 together. Robinson looked very good last year too.

Also, my cousin goes to RU and has a class with some backup(don't remember who though)

He also took Dinosaurs class with Jabu Lovelace lol

...or I just hid out in the locker rooms to see Courtney Greene and Joe Lefeged, among others

OregonDucks
03-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Carlos dunlap is going to be a top 5 pick when he goes to the nfl. Dude is so good! He just attacks

M.O.T.H.
03-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Gamecocks QB, Stephen Garcia, had another run in w/ the law, this weekend. This time for underage drinking...3rd incident in under two years and he hasnt even seen the field yet. ugh. Might as well just hand the job to Chris Smelley.

Jughead10
03-25-2008, 10:18 AM
I didn't. I've heard numerous reports about Martinek tearing it up. From where Young was at the end of last season and hearing a bit from the spring so far, I kinda put 2 and 2 together. Robinson looked very good last year too.

Also, my cousin goes to RU and has a class with some backup(don't remember who though)

He also took Dinosaurs class with Jabu Lovelace lol

...or I just hid out in the locker rooms to see Courtney Greene and Joe Lefeged, among others

Dinosaurs is the best class at Rutgers. I wish I had taken it.

P-L
03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Michigan

-If the season started today, walk-on QB Nick Sheridan would be the starter. He's the most mobile of any QB there and has shown a better than expected arm.
-Starting RB Carlos Brown broke his finger. Kevin Grady is injured... again. This time it's his hamstring. It doesn't look too serious though. Brandon Minor is absolutely tearing it up in their places. Avery Horn is practicing at RB, but he'll eventually be moved to slot-WR.
-Greg Matthews and Junior Hemingway are the outside starters with Toney Clemons in the slot and Carson Butler and Martell Webb competing for the TE/4th receiver spot. Butler has all-world potential at TE, hopefully he finally realizes it.
-There is no depth on the OL right now, without the Freshman. The Freshmen can't come soon enough. A starter could be leaving the program soon. It's going to come down to a meeting with Rich Rod this morning, as to if he stays or goes.
-Terrence Taylor got demoted to second team. He's played pretty well though. This is more of the staff trying to motivate him, than it is him playing poorly. He should start the year next to Will Johnson. Brandon Graham is practicing at DT, but will go back to DE when Taylor earns his spot back.
-Starting SLB Marrell Evans has been a monster. He bulked up this off-season and actually looks faster than he did a year ago.

scottyboy
03-25-2008, 11:50 AM

my cousin got a 6 on the first test lol. He said it was really hard. He thought it'd be like "Which one of these is a T-Rex?" and match to a picture lol.

He got the hang of it though, it was all bones and stuff.

hah Jabu Lovelace in Dinosaurs class just makes me giggle

Turtlepower
03-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Percy Harvin looks to be missing all of spring practice with an injury.

kwilk103
03-25-2008, 12:36 PM

even wvu doesnt have a dinosaurs class

Jonny
03-25-2008, 01:00 PM
You don't? Paleontology is a serious subject. It's an abridged version of that, similar to how you'll see other science classes pared down for non-science majors.

Jabu is a really smart guy too. Not your typical brawny football player.

kwilk103
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
You don't? Paleontology is a serious subject. It's an abridged version of that, similar to how you'll see other science classes pared down for non-science majors.

Jabu is a really smart guy too. Not your typical brawny football player.

i thought the class was actually called dinosaurs; we might have paleontology, not sure

Giantsfan1080
03-25-2008, 03:09 PM

I took Dinosaurs my freshmen year. It was harder than I expected and I did learn quite a lot. I forgot pretty much everything now but it was a good class.

Giantsfan1080
03-25-2008, 03:10 PM
no, not much at all. Helped around last year on the scout team, but damn is the kid skinny. 5'10 160? damn

Won't see much time, especially with Britt, Underwood, Brown, and Campbell. But his future seems bright, as he's got wheels. so when Underwood and Campbell graduate and if Britt goes pro, he'll get his shot. He and DC Jefferson(who's getting redshirted) seem to be the offense of the future.

RB Kordell Young is looking pretty good coming of knee surgery. Still ginger(haha dg151) on quick cuts, but gradually getting better.

Couple of young guys including soph Mason Robinson and a redshirt from last year(as a frosh) Joe Martinek are looking REALLY good. Young and Robinson looked like the primary guys to replace Raymell, but Martinek has been TEARING UP the practice squad D and will get more looks to get more carries and playing time

Schiano tends to keep VERY quiet about his defense until the week before opening week.

We're returning 7 out of 11 guys on O, and 8 out of 11 on D. but we also lost Ito too :(

Manny Abreu is going to be a beast. I'm very excited to see him play.

Brent
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Practices start today for A&M, I think in a few minutes to be exact.

themaninblack
03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
All the info I've got about UGA is that the Defense has been dominant in almost every practice. That, and Marcus Washington will unfortunately have to redshirt this season due to shoulder surgery.

scottyboy
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Manny Abreu is going to be a beast. I'm very excited to see him play.

I CANT WAIT FOR HIM!!! he's gonna tear it up. We're gonna have a faster LB corp than last year, no doubt. Hopefully D'Imperio stays healthy too

M.O.T.H.
03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Even though it's uncoventional at the college level, I would love for the Gamecocks to run a 3-4 base. They have legitimate 3-4 prospects and the NFL size for it.

DE Clifton Geathers (6'7 290)
NT Kenrick Ellis (6'5 353)
DE Travian Robertson (6'4 272)
OLB Cliff Matthews (6'4 250)
ILB Jasper Brinkley (6'2 262)
ILB Melvin Ingram (6'2 255)
OLB Eric Norwood (6'1 265)

I'd love it.

M.O.T.H.
03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Gamecocks QB, Stephen Garcia, had another run in w/ the law, this weekend. This time for underage drinking...3rd incident in under two years and he hasnt even seen the field yet. ugh. Might as well just hand the job to Chris Smelley.

Updating this...South Carolina has suspended Garcia until August 15th.

"Athletic department spokesman Steve Fink says Garcia will not be allowed to practice or meet with the team until August 15.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hDGfBeYXMM1vYIneTr7fVMWXbRsQD8VKOCR80

Not the way I saw things going this year. I def. thought Garcia would beat out Smelley for the job.

Ware_HITStick
03-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Even though it's uncoventional at the college level, I would love for the Gamecocks to run a 3-4 base. They have legitimate 3-4 prospects and the NFL size for it.

DE Clifton Geathers (6'7 290)
NT Kenrick Ellis (6'5 353)
DE Travian Robertson (6'4 272)
OLB Cliff Matthews (6'4 250)
ILB Jasper Brinkley (6'2 262)
ILB Melvin Ingram (6'2 255)
OLB Eric Norwood (6'1 265)

I'd love it.

MOTH are you a gamecocks fan as well?

Because if you are me and you are both Cowboys and Gamecocks fans!

Nice

M.O.T.H.
03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
MOTH are you a gamecocks fan as well?

Because if you are me and you are both Cowboys and Gamecocks fans!

Nice

Yes I am, my friend. It is nice indeed...haha.

keylime_5
03-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Garcia's been getting in trouble since before he even enrolled here. He really needs to get his head on straight, especially if he wants to be a Div.1 QB. But with the way Spurrier tends to yank his starting QB without any hesitation, I would expect Garcia will get in there sometime this season and replace Smelley.

P-L
03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
-There is no depth on the OL right now, without the Freshman. The Freshmen can't come soon enough. A starter could be leaving the program soon. It's going to come down to a meeting with Rich Rod this morning, as to if he stays or goes.
Justin Boren, our best Offensive Lineman has left the team. Rumor has it that he and OL Coach Greg Frey were not getting along.

reigle9
03-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Justin Boren, our best Offensive Lineman has left the team. Rumor has it that he and OL Coach Greg Frey were not getting along.

This year is going to be ugly for you guys. I'm going to enjoy it as much as possible because it's our turn in 2009.

themaninblack
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
any info on where Boren is going to go? If im not mistaken he's in my class and hes from Ohio.

P-L
03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
any info on where Boren is going to go? If im not mistaken he's in my class and hes from Ohio.
First of all, he hasn't been released from his scholarship yet (that should happen today or tomorrow). So there has been no contact between Boren and any other school. His dad also said that he plans on finishing the semester out before deciding on where to transfer. The two biggest rumors are Ohio State and Cincinnati. I really do not see him going to Ohio State at all. Big Ten rules prohibit athletes transferring within conference and accepting any sort of financial aid or scholarship. Basically, he'd need to pay his own way to play for Ohio State. While his family can probably afford it, I just don't see it happening.

etk
03-26-2008, 02:22 PM
First of all, he hasn't been released from his scholarship yet (that should happen today or tomorrow). So there has been no contact between Boren and any other school. His dad also said that he plans on finishing the semester out before deciding on where to transfer. The two biggest rumors are Ohio State and Cincinnati. I really do not see him going to Ohio State at all. Big Ten rules prohibit athletes transferring within conference and accepting any sort of financial aid or scholarship. Basically, he'd need to pay his own way to play for Ohio State. While his family can probably afford it, I just don't see it happening.

I think Western Michigan or Central Michigan would be smart choices.

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Rutgers is slowly but surely forming their OL. Taking our now true soph. former backup center and starting him at RG(Anthony Davis moved out to LT). Right now, we've got our C, LT,RG and either LG or RT filled(Haslaam can play either well) One spot left open, after losing 3 starters to the NFL, not bad.

Also, Jeremy Ito's' replacement, San San Te is looking very good. Drilled 50+ yarders yesterday in game situations(pressure) while Spice Girls Wannabe was blasting. Looking pretty good(he red-shirted freshman last year)

etk
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
It's good that Rutgers' young line is already getting established and experienced together. One of our problems at Miami has been the revolving door at most offensive line positions....there's no chemistry when you do that. This year it's the same sort of thing at Miami, ugh. Just pick the best players and stick with them IMO.

scottyboy....when you gonna get it over with and start a Rutgers thread?

keylime_5
03-26-2008, 08:02 PM

John Kerr transferred from Indiana to Ohio State and was considered a walk-on for us so it's not totally uncommon to see Big Ten players transfer within conference. But I really don't think he will transfer here. Doesn't a team have to allow a player to transfer to certain schools anyways? I remember USC said Emmanuel Moody could transfer anywhere except some certain schools when he left. A guy transferring from Michigan to Ohio State just seems like it's so unlikely to happen, can't imagine that occurring in this day and age.

themaninblack
03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
It would be great for Cincy if he transferred here.

Cigaro
03-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Nice, how many Gamecock fans we got here? I'm one of them.

We just finished up our first full scrimmage yesterday. Smelley was the most impressive of the quarterbacks, although he had a problem with overthrowing open receivers.

Our offensive lineman was meh, which I'm not liking. Hutch Eckerson however seems to be pretty good, at wherever he plays. I know he did pretty good at guard later in the season, and he's now a left tackle, where they say he looks like a natural, dominant fit. RS Freshman Quinton Richardson is also looking good there, so one of them may slide over to the right to possibly take the spot from Sorenson, who plays half-assed from lack of competition sometimes. Meredith was moved to right guard, and he's been pretty good there.

If we have a problem stopping the run this season, well, its not because of lack of size. Geathers will probably play strongside end at 290, Ajiboye probably at UT at 300, Kenrick Ellis playing at NT at 350(suspended first three games though), although Matthews may be a little small, although perfect for pass rushing blind side end at around 240. Ellis Johnson says he wants Norwood, Brinkley, and Ingram on the field at the same time. Norwood will play one of the outside spots, and he'll be around 250 at seasons start. Jasper Brinkley will obviously man the middle, and he plays well at around 260-265(spring weight 275), and Ingram weighed in at 269 this spring, so he'll probably play the other outside spot at around 260.

The secondary shouldn't miss a beat. We did lose Brandon Isaac, but our returning and new players are tremendous. Munnerlynn won't play any this spring, but he's already established himself as a lock down corner. Who plays opposite of him is a battle between Carlos Thomas and newcomer Akeem Auguste. Carlos Thomas has the experience, but has had his troubles, both on the field and off. Akeem Auguste, who played prep ball last season, has been lock down this whole spring, and I could see him possibly starting if he keeps it up.

The safeties shouldn't be a problem. Emmanuel Cook will keep his spot as All-SEC(possibly better this season) strong safety, while Darien Stewart will most likely at least begin the season as starter at FS. Stewart was impressive when he played last year, especially in the Georgia game. Chris Culliver though, may be too good to keep of the field. He earned his 5-star status from his defensive-back play, so he's back where he's best. He's got blazing speed(4.3 flat), and is adjusting nicely. He may be the dominant cover safety to complement E Cooks dominant run support. Mark Barnes will also add some good depth, as he was a four star because of safety play, and now he's back there(had been moved to WR last season).

Coach Ray hopefully is going to fix our special teams woes. If you don't know who he is, he was the special teams coach for Maryland up till the offseason, and Maryland currently holds longest streak without blocked punt, at seven years. With blocked punts costing us key games last year, it's the perfect hire. Finally Succop won't have his leg tired by handling all kicking duties. Spencer Lanning or freshman Ryan Doerr will most likely handle punting this season, allowing Succop to return to his All-SEC kicking form.

etk
03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Sounds like South Carolina will have a beastly defense this year, but don't you think they might struggle against a team like Alabama that throws a lot.

M.O.T.H.
03-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I dont think so...the secondary is the strongest unit on the team. All 4 are returning starters and more than likely all NFL bound. Depth is a bit of an issue but, the starters are top notch. The Gamecocks could have one of the better defenses in the country...I've said it before, that I think they have the best defensive unit in the SEC. If they prove to be more stout against the run...they're going to be a real tough team to beat. I havent been this excited in years when it comes to our defense.

etk
03-30-2008, 05:32 PM
When you have that much size in the front 7 it should be difficult to match up against backs and tight ends in the passing game, not to mention how the pass rush will suffer with Norwood at OLB. I say this because I liked their defense a lot last year and I'm interested in how they perform/adjust this year.

keylime_5
03-30-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm not a gamecock fan but I kinda root for them since I go to USC, and while I won't be going to the spring game, I am definitely goin to the Black Crowes show at Wiliams-Brice at the spring bash the day before:)

M.O.T.H.
03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
When you have that much size in the front 7 it should be difficult to match up against backs and tight ends in the passing game, not to mention how the pass rush will suffer with Norwood at OLB. I say this because I liked their defense a lot last year and I'm interested in how they perform/adjust this year.

I dont see the pass rush sufferring...Travian Robertson should be outstanding for us this year and Cliff Matthews is better suited w/ his hand on the ground. Norwood is still going to be used quite frequently in rushing the passer, he'll get his. As for speed...we have plenty of LB speed to matchup w/ TE and RBs...I'll admit, Ingram's speed is a little iffy w/ that added weight...but, I dont really see it being a problem.

Hopefully, we'll run a lot of 3-4 this year...we have fantastic personel for it.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
QB Controversy at USF. Grant Gregory outplayed Grothe in a spring scrimmage, I like him a lot, but he doesn't have the play making ability Matt has. Grothe went 10-for-15 for 137 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs; Grant Gregory went 12-for-14 for 143 yards and two TDs

“I didn’t think we made real good decisions at quarterback," Leavitt said. "Those turnovers didn’t have to happen. It was more quarterback decision-making. I’d have to say Grant played better than Matt today. I don’t think there’s any question."

Cigaro
03-30-2008, 06:08 PM

Norwood will be more like a blitzing linebacker this year. Cliff Matthews has also been a pass rushing beast this spring, so I think we'll be fine with that. Ingram may be switched out on passing downs for someone like Alonzo Winfield, who ran a 4.38 at spring timing(stopwatch, so he wouldn't time THAT fast officially, but it shows his speed), or Shaq Wilson, who is undersized at the moment, but playing good for a freshman at spring practice.

And keylime, sorry to tell you, but the Spring Bash got canceled.

keylime_5
03-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I just saw on the news today. Sucks that I can't see the Black Crowes yet, but it's good that I didn't buy tickets before they cancelled it.

kwilk103
03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
they are giving out refunds to the bash

slightlyaraiderfan
03-30-2008, 06:45 PM
It's going to be an interesting battle for the QB spot at SC, so far it has, no idea who PC would choose at this point. Sanchez is better with the short to intermediate throws and is a better overall leader, Mustain has the better arm and does much better with the deep throws. But both are certainly much more mobile then Booty.

keylime_5
03-30-2008, 07:25 PM
they are giving out refunds to the bash

yeah i know, but not having to worry about a refund hassle is a lot easier than having to.

kwilk103
04-06-2008, 12:24 PM
wvu

s evan rodriguez has moved to te
wr will johnson has moved to te is looking very good
cb brantown bowser has an injured knee---possible torn ligaments, but hopes to be back by fall

lb morty ivy and lb jt thomas are 'heat seeking missles' and having the 'spring of springs' according to coach stew

wr looking real good
pat lookin good throwing the ball, but all qbs struggling on deep throws (never threw deep ball, so it's understandable)
bradley starks looks to be the #3 qb
jarrett brown has a strong arm, lookin real good in practices

we're finally exploiting deep areas of the field, particularly the zone behind the lb and in front of the safeties, 'something we havent done in years' according to coach stew

keylime_5
04-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Forgot that this thread existed. Freshman OT hotshot recruit Mike Adams was definitely gonna be our starting right tackle for this season until his shoulder injury that will require surgery this week (rumored torn labrum I think ). So it looks like Bryant Browning is the starting right tackle though JB Shugarts might steal that spot. Mike will be ready in September or October and could play this season, but the injury costs him the starting job and any practice time this spring or summer, and he could possibly redshirt but I doubt it.

And speaking of freshman JB Shugarts is a perfect fit at RT for the Bucks since he is such a good run blocker already and has good footwork he has been in a zone blocking scheme his whole high school career; some say that if he learns the playbook and gets the assignments down he'll be the starting RT for Ohio State in 2008. Jake Stoneburner, all 6-5/230 of him, has been great so far this spring and should be the #4 WR on the depth chart going into the summer. Etienne Sabino and Andrew Sweat at LB have been great too, I can't wait to see them, Sweat is our next Laurinaitis.

And at DE Thaddeus Gibson is a real candidate to breakout in 2008 as a situational pass rusher when we're in the nickel defense. I'm excited about him the most on D.

BamaFalcon59
04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Virginia Tech.

Offensively, we look good at runningback despite the loss of Branden Ore. Darren Evans and Jahre Cheeseman are the main two guys, Evans isn't too fast but was wildly productive in college and has a nice north south style. Cheeseman is explosive and had a 40 something yard run in the scrimmage. Not to mention Virginia Tech.'s top recruit in Ryan Williams.

Neither Tyrod Taylor nor Sean Glennon stood out too much, but that might be in part to the receivers, who had only four receptions in the scrimmage. Macho Harris is getting time at wide receiver this year. Some of the young guys have potential, but that is about it.

Phillip Wheeler, the tight end, apparently is healing slower than expected from the ACL injury he suffered last year. I hope he gets back, he is a good player. Greg Boone is a good blocker who is tough to tackle. He is another player I like.

On defense, athletic defensive end Justin Worilds had five tackles in the scrimmage, four for sacks. He could be very good this year.

saintsfan912
04-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Richard Murphy might have taken the top HB spot with his performance in yesterday's spring game. 145 yards rushing 2 TDs, also caught a 53 yard TD. Was our 5th string HB last season. Charles Scott didn't play in the game though.

Jarrett Lee and Andrew Hatch had a real good spring as well with Perriloux finishing off his suspension.

Brandon Lafell has supposedly gotten over his drops disease. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Chad Jones is turning into a hell of a punt returner.

Harry Coleman is replacing Craig Steltz just fine. Not missing a beat.

Ricky Jean Francois is still a beast and will be for a long time. Guy is an absolute monster. Didn't out play Tyson Jackson, but there aren't many better than Tyson.

Colt David needs to improve on his accuracy. Missed 2 FGs.

lordquas
04-06-2008, 08:49 PM
anyone know whatsup with notre dame and maryland?

hopefully ND can get their sh!t togetha

georgiafan
04-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Here is a video of some of the highlights in Georgia's spring game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8r51ikm970

some #'s you might not know

#4 - Caleb King - Fr. HB
#6 - Logan Gray - Fr. QB
#82 - Mike Moore - Jr. WR

BufFan71
04-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Freshmen-All-America Guard Kai Maiava is moving from guard to FB

6'9 TE Nate Solder moved to OT where he is progressing nicely

BamaFalcon59
04-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Freshmen-All-America Guard Kai Maiava is moving from guard to FB

6'9 TE Nate Solder moved to OT where he is progressing nicely

I saw 6'9" and guard and moved to fullback, and thought I was going to have a chance to see a 6'9" former guard at fullback.

BufFan71
04-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I saw 6'9" and guard and moved to fullback, and thought I was going to have a chance to see a 6'9" former guard at fullback.

lol that would be crazy

but the guard is only like 6'1
and hes essentially going to be like another offensivelinemen on the field
picking up blitzs and blocking

BamaFalcon59
04-09-2008, 08:56 PM
lol that would be crazy

but the guard is only like 6'1
and hes essentially going to be like another offensivelinemen on the field
picking up blitzs and blocking

I'm not sure I would move a freshman All-American to a different position, where he will likely be less useful. But that's just my opinion.

swollja
04-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Michigan

-If the season started today, walk-on QB Nick Sheridan would be the starter. He's the most mobile of any QB there and has shown a better than expected arm.
-Starting RB Carlos Brown broke his finger. Kevin Grady is injured... again. This time it's his hamstring. It doesn't look too serious though. Brandon Minor is absolutely tearing it up in their places. Avery Horn is practicing at RB, but he'll eventually be moved to slot-WR.
-Greg Matthews and Junior Hemingway are the outside starters with Toney Clemons in the slot and Carson Butler and Martell Webb competing for the TE/4th receiver spot. Butler has all-world potential at TE, hopefully he finally realizes it.
-Terrence Taylor got demoted to second team. He's played pretty well though. This is more of the staff trying to motivate him, than it is him playing poorly. He should start the year next to Will Johnson. Brandon Graham is practicing at DT, but will go back to DE when Taylor earns his spot back.
-Starting SLB Marrell Evans has been a monster. He bulked up this off-season and actually looks faster than he did a year ago.

what about that good white rb they got?

Sniper
04-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Sweat is our next Laurinaitis.

So he's an overrated LB who is good at jumping the pile after he did nothing and can't shed a block? Um, ok, good for you.

keylime_5
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Laurinaitis is the best 'backer in the country and about to be a 3time all-american, but yes, Sweat has the same weaknesses as Laurinaitis as well as his strengths. They look eerily similar on tape.

Billingsley26
04-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Laurinaitis is the best 'backer in the country and about to be a 3time all-american, but yes, Sweat has the same weaknesses as Laurinaitis as well as his strengths. They look eerily similar on tape.

Sorry bud. Call me a PSU homer, but ANY OF Paul Posluszny, Dan Connor or even Sean Lee have better football instincts and intangibles than Laurinaitis has.

Sniper
04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Laurinaitis is the best 'backer in the country

I could make a case that Laurinaitis wasn't even the best linebacker on his own team this year. He's the most overrated LB I've seen in a long time. Amazing what a famous daddy and a couple gift INTs from a freshman QB can do for your reputation.

LB A: 51 solo, 70 assisted, 121 total, 5 sacks, 2 INT, 8.5 TFL
LB B: 69 solo, 76 assisted, 145 total, 6.5 sacks, 1 INT, 15 TFL
LB C: 55 solo, 35 assisted, 90 total, 7.5 sacks, 0 INT, 28.5 TFL
LB D: 54 solo, 84 assisted, 138 total, 3.5 sacks, 1 INT, 10.5 TFL
LB E: 71 solo, 61 assisted, 132 total, 2.5 sacks, 1 INT 10.5 TFL

Among those five Big 10 LBs, who should be the best LB?

It's a ******* joke that Laurinaitis gets all the publicity he does. Dude was at BEST the third best defensive player on his team last year.

P-L
04-09-2008, 09:52 PM
what about that good white rb they got?
He doesn't graduate High School until June.

BamaFalcon59
04-09-2008, 09:52 PM

55 tackles and 28.5 of them being tackles for loss. That's pretty damn good.

Billingsley26
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I could make a case that Laurinaitis wasn't even the best linebacker on his own team this year. He's the most overrated LB I've seen in a long time. Amazing what a famous daddy and a couple gift INTs from a freshman QB can do for your reputation.

It's a ******* joke that Laurinaitis gets all the publicity he does. Dude was at BEST the third best defensive player on his team last year.

+rep for finally giving us some support in some way or another.

kwilk103
04-09-2008, 10:03 PM

who's who? lb c, seems like hes always in the backfield

BamaFalcon59
04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
28.5 tackles for loss is insane for a 4-3 outside linebacker.

bigbenn
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't really feel like giving too much but for everybody who said Illinois would struggle with the loss of Mendenhall and Leman, you're about to be VERY VERY wrong..

Sniper
04-09-2008, 10:24 PM

FWIW, James Laurinaitis is LB A, Dan Connor is LB B, Shawn Crable is LB C, Sean Lee is LB D, and J Leman is LB E.

BamaFalcon59
04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
FWIW, James Laurinaitis is LB A, Dan Connor is LB B, Shawn Crable is LB C, Sean Lee is LB D, and J Leman is LB E.

Crable lined up at end at times, yes? That explains some of it, although it is still a very high number of tackles for loss. I think Dan Connor had the best overall stats, with the most tackles, second most sacks, and second most tackles for loss.

Sniper
04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Crable lined up at end at times, yes? That explains some of it, although it is still a very high number of tackles for loss. I think Dan Connor had the best overall stats, with the most tackles, second most sacks, and second most tackles for loss.

Yes, Crable played a pretty good amount of DE since we had some DE injuries, but still, that's the second best amount of TFLs in the country behind George Selvie. I'm not saying he's the best all-around LB in the Big 10, let alone the country, but he had a very good year.

Brent
04-09-2008, 11:08 PM
It turns out that Stephen McGee will miss all of spring practices because of a shoulder surgery. So, here's hoping that Jerrod Johnson gets the starting spot and starts all season.

kwilk103
04-10-2008, 01:01 AM
bad day of practice; lazy as coach stew described it

apparently they switched the order of practice and had a scrimmage 1st then drills; everyone was just standing around after the scrimmage

they have to be at the stadium at 6am today for conditioning; problem running stadium steps or law school hill (which is a huge hill behind the stadium

holt_bruce81
04-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Sean Weatherspoon (mizzou top LB) will have knee surgery.

swollja
04-10-2008, 02:13 AM
He doesn't graduate High School until June.

oh yeah brain fart

duckseason
04-10-2008, 07:23 AM
::: '07 NCAA butterfinger award winner Jaison Williams has been catching everything thrown his way lately.

::: Max Unger has reportedly been dominant in pass-protection drills.

::: The QB's as a group have been struggling with taking the snap and throwing accuracy.

::: Darron Thomas is very skinny, much like Dennis Dixon in both style of play and stature.

::: JC transfer RB LeGarrette Blount is huge. Very big and tall for a RB. He may be even bigger than Jonathan Stewart, though not as cut.

::: WR's Jeffrey Maehl and Aaron Pflugrad have both put on some muscle, which is a good thing.

::: TE Ed Dickson is in extremely good shape. Bigger than last year, very cut, and very fast.

::: Although you'll continue to hear about Justin Roper being our number 1 QB with Nate Costa being more of an afterthought, trust me when I say that Costa will be our starter come September, barring further injury.

::: There is a large group of players who have missed practice time due to injuries. Notables include S Patrick Chung, MLB John Bacon, OLB Jerome Boyd, RB Jeremiah Johnson, QB Nate Costa, DE Will Tukuafu, DE Brandon Bair, OT Fenuki Tupou and OT Bo Thran.

::: LeGarrette Blount has reportedly been showing a great ability to break tackles and maintain his balance. He's fumbled a few times though. As of now, Andre Crenshaw is #2 on the depth chart and taking the first team contact reps in place of Johnson, but expect to see Blount end up being the guy splitting carries with Johnson come game time.

::: DE Kenny Rowe has been seeing a lot of reps at MLB with the 2nd string, while LB Terrell Turner is now practicing at DE. Listening to DL coach Gray, it sounds like the swap is permanent. Turner is thicker than Rowe, so the move makes sense. Also, TE John Laidet has been moved to DE. He played there in HS so he is familiar with the position. Coach Gray thinks he has better instincts on that side of the ball and has a natural feel for the position.

::: Freshman safety John Boyett has been outstanding at times, but understandably inconsistent in that he's been caught out of position a few times. It sounds like he's the real deal though.

::: TJ Ward is the current favorite to replace Matthew Harper at FS, while Kevin Garrett is the favorite to replace AJ Tuitele at WLB. They both are facing serious competition though. Aliotti says that we are a bit behind right now at LB in terms of knowledge. He has nothing but praise for the secondary. I think the absence of Bacon and Boyd have a lot to do with this. We have mostly young guys practicing at LB right now.

::: As of right now, we have 12 walk-on WR's on the roster. The reason for this is that we have 6 QB's who all need guys to throw to at the same time.

::: WR Derrick Jones is not enrolled for spring term and therefore is not practicing. Though Bellotti has yet to say it, I think his days as a Duck may be over. Jones is/was the 2nd fastest player on the team.

::: Our fastest player, Jamere Holland, has been working hard to shake off the rust from having not played last year. He was the first guy to catch passes from Darron Thomas when he arrived, and he also recently caught balls from Dennis Dixon as he prepared for workouts for NFL scouts. Though surely inaccurate, Holland's 4.21 40 was very impressive considering that Jones was clocked at 4.26. There's no question that Jones is a sub-4.4 guy in reality, so I take these numbers as an indicator that Holland is in the low 4.3's. As of now, Holland is practicing with the 2nd team behind Drew Davis. Jaison Williams and Jeffrey Maehl are the other current 1's, while Aaron Pflugrad and Terrence Scott are the other 2's. I expect big things from this group this year and am really hoping that Holland in particular picks things up quickly and works his way into some serious PT.

::: WR Drew Davis is now wearing #10 rather than 82. QB Darron Thomas is wearing #1, QB Chris Harper #3, RB LeGarrette Blount #9 and S John Boyett #20.

::: Former superprep all-american and top 25 California prospect Malachi Lewis continues to play behind TE Ed Dickson. A LB/RB/track star in HS, it looks like he'll be the guy to replace Dickson once he moves on. I expect big things from this guy and trust that the coaching staff knows what they're doing by keeping him at TE. Considering the amount of talent these two have, I hope to see Chip Kelly utilize the position a bit more this year. Given the changes at QB/RB, I suspect he'll do just that.

::: '09 QB recruit Tate Forcier attended Tuesday's practice and apparently had a very long conversation with coach Bellotti in the middle of the field mid-way through practice.

::: For the first season in 4 years, the entire coaching staff remains intact, including GA's.

::: The annual spring game is scheduled for 2pm 4/26.

keylime_5
04-10-2008, 08:26 AM
funny how you always play the stat card for basically every argument, but stats can be very misleading. Emmit Smith is the freakin' all time leading rusher in NFL history, does that mean he is better than Jim Brown or Walter Payton? That is a little different but the point is that better statistics don't translate to being a better player - Ohio State's defense wasn't on the field as much as Michigan's or Penn State's or Illinois'. The stat argument doesnt hold any water for comparing Crable, Leman, Connor, and JL. I've seen Connor play and he was better than Posluszny and neither were the aggressive playmaking 'backer that James was/is. Go watch the Wisconsin or Washington games from this year or that Texas game from last year and tell me that the kid is overrated. He's not the same at filling gaps or shedding blocks as AJ Hawk but he is clearly a great player and is the heart and soul and the clearcut leader of our defense since 2006.

Sniper
04-10-2008, 08:41 AM
funny how you always play the stat card for basically every argument, but stats can be very misleading. Emmit Smith is the freakin' all time leading rusher in NFL history, does that mean he is better than Jim Brown or Walter Payton? That is a little different but the point is that better statistics don't translate to being a better player - Ohio State's defense wasn't on the field as much as Michigan's or Penn State's or Illinois'. The stat argument doesnt hold any water for comparing Crable, Leman, Connor, and JL. I've seen Connor play and he was better than Posluszny and neither were the aggressive playmaking 'backer that James was/is. Go watch the Wisconsin or Washington games from this year or that Texas game from last year and tell me that the kid is overrated. He's not the same at filling gaps or shedding blocks as AJ Hawk but he is clearly a great player and is the heart and soul and the clearcut leader of our defense since 2006.

Awwww keylime's having his period because I said James Laurinaitis wasn't the best. And those crazy stats say that every LB out of the 5 is a better playmaking LB. They all had more TFLs and sacks.

Ohio State's defense played 832 snaps
Penn State's defense played 886 snaps
Michigan's defense played 898 snaps

Not exactly a ZOMGZ HUMONGOUS difference.

Like I said, cfbstats.com, where keylime5's OSU-homer arguments go to die.

keylime_5
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
OSU also forced the most 3 and outs in college football last year, and not to mention since our schedule wasn't necessarily that strong last year we had a lot of blowout wins in which the some of those defensive snaps went to backups like Austin Spitler, Ty Moeller, and Brian Rolle at linebacker, it's not like we had the 33 blitz called when we were beating Northwestern by forty points at halftime. And I still don't understand your stupid stat argument anyways, James had great stats, heck his stats were just as good if not better than AJ Hawk's statsheet, and no denying AJ was a better player than James is.

In other words...AJ's stats < James' stats (in some aspects) but AJ>>>player. It works the same way with James >other big ten lbs despite not always having more tackles than them. Tim McGarigle had like 150 tackles a year and he wasn't even one of the 10 best 'backers in the league. 2 time allamerican, butkus award winner, and nagurski award winner and not b/c of who his dad is, no one even knew about him until 2006 when he dominated against texas in his 3rd career start.

And if you wanna talk about Connor, he has just as much trouble at shedding blocks as JL at least but is not as big or fast with less sideline to sideline range, and if Leman is so great then why is he about to become a 6th or 7th round pick this year (without injuries, probably a 4th or 5th round one)?

Sniper
04-10-2008, 02:33 PM
James had great stats, heck his stats were just as good if not better than AJ Hawk's statsheet, and no denying AJ was a better player than James is.

And if you wanna talk about Connor, he has just as much trouble at shedding blocks as JL at least but is not as big or fast with less sideline to sideline range, and if Leman is so great then why is he about to become a 6th or 7th round pick this year (without injuries, probably a 4th or 5th round one)?

Laurinaitis had decent stats, not great. If he had great stats, then the four Big 10 LBs who did better had ZOMGZ SEC FAST AWESOME stats. And your Hawk argument is ********. Hawk played besides another first round pick and a sweet college LB whose game didn't translate well to the pros.

Re: Connor. No he doesn't. Connor has amazing instincts, which make up for his lack of wheels. You can't teach instincts. And Connor still sheds blockers better than Laurinaitis. Hell, Laurinaitis probably couldn't even shed a Carson Butler block, and that's saying something.

Re: Leman. Because you know, draft positions ALWAYS reflects on college awesomeness. To answer your question, lack of ideal measurables kill players. There's this guy, kind of small RB, slow, injury prone who at this point might not even be drafted. Meet Michigan's all-time leading rusher.

keylime_5
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM
James's stats are just as good as AJ's and 8+ tfl and 5+ sacks and 2+ ints are great for a middle linebacker. Also you REALLY exaggerate James' block shedding ability..it really hampered him his sophomore year but his junior year he was a lot better at shedding blocks, but when a guard or center gets on him it usually takes him out of a play, but that can be said about a lot of backers. Some of that can be faulted to our inexperienced/hurt/inadequate defensive tackles from 2007. But it's Laurinaitis' athleticism, closing speed, and sideline range to go along with his aggressiveness that makes him the biggest playmaking linebacker in the country since 2006. When you're on the verge of breaking the league record for INTs for a linebacker it's not just luck either.

BigJohn98
04-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Nigel Bradham has been lighting it up in spring practice. He's already the strongest linebacker on the team, benching over 400 lbs and his power clean is around 350-375. People have been saying he's the hardest hitting linebacker to come through Florida State. Harder than Sims, Brooks, Cowart, etc. He's been lighting up Marcus Sims and Brandon Paul in practice. He's up to about 240 pounds right now. He will probably be the best linebacker out of the 08 class.

It looks like we will have the worst defense in 25 years. Our interior line is really weak. Defense hasn't gotten a sack in a couple scrimages.

With Drew Weatherford out with a slightly torn maniscus, Christian Ponder has really stepped up. Here are his numbers in the scrimages so far:

Completions : 49
Attempts : 91
Completion % : 54%
Yards : 813
Touchdowns : 10
Interceptions : 2

swollja
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Nigel Bradham has been lighting it up in spring practice. He's already the strongest linebacker on the team, benching over 400 lbs and his power clean is around 350-375. People have been saying he's the hardest hitting linebacker to come through Florida State. Harder than Sims, Brooks, Cowart, etc. He's been lighting up Marcus Sims and Brandon Paul in practice. He's up to about 240 pounds right now. He will probably be the best linebacker out of the 08 class.

It looks like we will have the worst defense in 25 years. Our interior line is really weak. Defense hasn't gotten a sack in a couple scrimages.

goooooooooooooooooooooood

BamaFalcon59
04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Jason 'All' Worilds is going to have double digit sacks this year for Virginia Tech.. Bet on it.

JayP
04-11-2008, 12:55 AM
anyone know whatsup with notre dame and maryland?

hopefully ND can get their sh!t togetha

I know what's up with ND. I'll just break it down by position.

QB
----
The job is Jimmy Clausen's. From the practice film I've seen, it looks like the surgery he had before last season affected him more than believed. He looks to have the velocity I saw on his films in HS. Plus, he's bulked up from the 198 lbs. he was at the end of the season to 212 lbs. Evan Sharpley is splitting time between baseball and spring football, so a lot of the walk-on QBs are getting more work than they usually would.

RB
----
James Aldridge is penciled in as the starter, but Robert Hughes and Armando Allen are pushing him hard. Allen has bulked up and appears much quicker. Schwapp appears fully recovered from his knee injury.

WR
----
Duval Kamara is missing some practice time due to a conflict with his classes. David Grimes appears to be catching everything thrown his way. There hasn't been too much info released on the other WRs, but I think that Floyd, Goodman, or Walker could make a push into the rotation easily.

TE
----
Due to Will Yeatman's DUI suspension and Konrad Rueland transferring, this position will be thin until Joseph Fauria and Kyle Rudolph hit campus. Luke Schmidt has moved into a hybrid FB/TE position to make up for the lack of depth. Mike Ragone has put on the weight he didn't put on due to missing some of fall practice last year, and hasn't lost any speed. Considering he's looking at being the #1 TE this year, that's a good thing.

OL
----
The whole line is 300+ now, and are lean and playing with a chip on their shoulder. Sam Young had a unknown (to the public)right wrist injury that stopped him from punching out. That's healed and he is back at right tackle. The only position battle seems to be Eric Olson and Chris Stewart battling it out for the RG spot. The only casualty so far has been Bartley Webb, who retired before spring practice due to his bad shoulder.

DL
----
Morrice Richardson, John Ryan, and Kallen Wade have been moved to DE, and all three look good, especially Richardson. Both he and Justin Brown have packed on weight, and don't look any worse for doing so. Due to Pat Kuntz's academic issues, Ian Williams is 1st string in the middle and has proven why he was a Freshman AA. Paddy Mullen looks good backing up Williams. Derrell Hand has a career ending spinal injury and is no longer on the team.

LB
----
The starters are Brian Smith and Kerry Neal on the outside and Toryan Smith and Maurice Crum on the inside. Scott Smith has impressed the coaches, and S Harrison Smith was slid into an OLB spot to give a different look. Tenuta has been kicking their butts in the practice vids, and their level of play is definitely more intense.

DB
----
Terrail Lambert and Darrin Walls are the starters, but are being pushed by Raeshon McNeil and Gary Gray. Starting safties are David Bruton and Kyle McCarthy. McCarthy has jumped out so far ahead that Ray Herring, Sergio Brown, and Harrison Smith have no chance of catching him. All three, along with Jashaad Gaines, are pushing for playing time.

K
----
There is no clear cut favorite, but Brandon Walker got an article written about how he's doing, so I think he's in the lead.

sweetness34
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Illinois;

QB - Juice is getting most of the 1st team reps and is our starter again. Eddie McGee is 2nd string and we'll have Jacob Charest (a 2008 recruit) coming in for fall ball as our 3rd stringer and heir to Juice's spot.

RB - With the loss of Mendenhall it's RB by committee right now. Daniel Dufrene and Mikel Leshoure look to be the leaders with Troy Pollard and Darius Purcell on the outside looking in. We also have Jason Ford coming in and he could make a case for getting some serious reps at RB this season.

WR - The most surprising part of the offseason. Benn is out recovering from shoulder surgery but the guys are looking awesome from what I've heard. Freshman Fred Sykes is tearing it up, needs to put on some muscle but he's a promising WR down the line. Cumberland is starting to get it and he's got scary potential because of his size and speed. Moved Chris Duvalt from CB to WR, a 4.35 playmaker that has been doing very well. Add in freshmen Cordale Scott and AJ Jenkins come fall ball and our WR core is looking goooood.

TE - Hoo-Man is the starter, been very impressive this year and Zook is looking for a breakout year. Freshie Hubie Graham is coming in for fall ball and will get reps as well.

OL - Injuries have piled up and I'll have an update on that later, but right now like RB it's OL by committee, slotting guys in every place to get stuff to work until Asamoah and McDonald get healty.

DL - The strongest and deepest part of this team. Looks like it'll be Josh Brent and David Linquist as starters inside with Sirod Williams, DeAngelo McCray (who btw is going to be a monster once he gets healthy), Clay Nurse, Darryl Ballew and a couple other guys battling for spots. Our DE's will be Will Davis and Derek Walker with Doug Pilcher as a rotation guy. Jerry Brown will get a long look as well, kids got some nice raw talent. Then we've got Luiget coming into the mix during the fall and Whitney Mercilus who once he puts on some weight is going to be very, very, very good mixing it up as well. Probably forgetting some guys right now but oh well.

LB - Brit Miller is the starter at MLB, Martex Wilson will take up one of the outside LB slots and is looking very strong, and then it's a battle for the other LB slot between multiple players. This will be an area of question this year but we do have some serious talent at that position.

Secondary - CB's will most likely be Vontae Davis and Dere Hicks with Miami Thomas getting reps. Then we've got Tavon Wilson and Patrick Nixon (both great prospects) coming in during the fall. We're pretty set at that position. Safety wise it'll be Hardeman once he gets here from JUCO and a battle between Trevon Bellamy, Garrett Edwards, Nate Bussey, and Bo Flowers for that last spot. If healthy Trevon will get the job because he's a very good player but if not I think it'll be Garrett Edwards.

Teams looking strong, especially on defense.

BufFan71
04-11-2008, 03:48 PM
From any Notre Dame Fans

How is Ian Williams doing?

His senior year at Lyman High school i had to go up against him since i started at OG my sophmore year........... he only had about 2 tackles, and a screen pass he tipped, (even though it went right into his hands and he shouldve had a TD) but he didnt play much defense that game

draftguru151
04-11-2008, 03:58 PM
::: '07 NCAA butterfinger award winner Jaison Williams has been catching everything thrown his way lately.

::: Max Unger has reportedly been dominant in pass-protection drills.

What position has Unger been at?

duckseason
04-11-2008, 06:30 PM
What position has Unger been at?

He's at center and will almost certainly play there this year, though Bellotti did make a comment about a possible move to guard if Jordan Holmes were to prove to be a more capable starter than the guys competing to take over at LG. Fenuki Tupuo is entrenched at LT. Between Jacob Hucko, CE Kaiser, and Bo Thran, replacing Schwartz at RT shouldn't be a problem.

So I think that barring some serious injuries to some of the tackles, we won't be seeing Unger line up on the outside this year. I think our opening day wall will look like this-

LT- Fenuki Tupuo
LG- Jason Kendall
C - Max Unger
RG- Mark Lewis
RT- Jacob Hucko

holt_bruce81
04-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Damn.......VAN Alexander (Mizzou LB) tore his ACL.

YAYareaRB
04-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Just got back from one of Cal's practices. They were in shells so I didn't see them going full speed and tempo. #1 LB Worley Williams, Jahvid Best, and Alex Mack did work. Longshore wasn't there so they had the second string QB and the walk on working with the team. Alex Mack looked like he should, straight beast! From the WRs, I seen a lot of dropped balls. Cal's line is HUGE!

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pennstate/s_562010.html

Bad News for Penn State fans. Sean Lee suffered a serious knee injury in practice. Looks as though he is all but done for the 2008 season.

Sniper
04-12-2008, 10:19 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/pennstate/s_562010.html

Bad News for Penn State fans. Sean Lee suffered a serious knee injury in practice. Looks as though he is all but done for the 2008 season.

And the rest of the Big 10 exhales....

draftguru151
04-12-2008, 11:10 AM
UF Spring game on in about an hour on ESPN. I turned the TV on and Lee Corso was talking, I got giddy.

Hines
04-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Chris Rainey is going to be a stud this season and could conted for a Heisman IMO.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Who else does Florida have at receiver besides Percy Harvin?

I keep hearing about a baseball player and a long snapper going out on routes. What is the deal here?

BigJohn98
04-12-2008, 12:45 PM
They have Louis Murphy, Deonte Thompson, Riley Cooper and Carl Moore.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
They have Louis Murphy, Deonte Thompson, Riley Cooper and Carl Moore.

How are they ranked after Harvin?

P-L
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
U-M Spring Game is happening right now. Interestingly, 14 of the first 19 plays have been pass plays.

Kevin Newsome is there.

JayP
04-12-2008, 12:49 PM
From any Notre Dame Fans

How is Ian Williams doing?

His senior year at Lyman High school i had to go up against him since i started at OG my sophmore year........... he only had about 2 tackles, and a screen pass he tipped, (even though it went right into his hands and he shouldve had a TD) but he didnt play much defense that game

He was named a Freshman AA. With the academic difficulties of Pat Kuntz and Derrell Hand's career ending injury, he's taking most of the reps at NT and will probably start in the NT rotation.

BigJohn98
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
How are they ranked after Harvin?

I'm gunna guess and say:

Harvin
Murphy
Moore
Thompson
Cooper

Hines
04-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Carl Moore is a stud.

BigJohn98
04-12-2008, 01:13 PM
One guy to watch out for is Jeff Demps. He was the fastest player in Florida in high school, and signed with Florida. Ran a 10.17 in the 100m. More speed for the fastest team in the country.

kwilk103
04-12-2008, 01:21 PM
defense dominated the 2nd scrimmage; only gave up 1 td to the 2nd team in 85 plays---50 yd pass from jarrett brown to 3rd string qb bradley starks

white was 14-18 passing with a couple drops
brown 5-10 with a 50 yd td
starks 2-2

d forced several fumbles; best secondary staff ever at wvu according to coach stew

i love to see the d dominating like that; its been so long since we've had a dominating d

kwilk103
04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
2006 rivals 100 wr damon mcdaniel (fsu) is transferring

either to va tech or wvu; would have 3 yrs to play 2

we have his old hs coach chris beatty as our rb/slot receivers coach; i think we get him

him and logan heastie as starting wr next year would be awesome

draftguru151
04-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Moody is looking good.

Whoops fumble.

P-L
04-12-2008, 01:30 PM
So far, 49 plays have been ran. Only 17 runs and 3 of those runs came from the 1 yard line. I really think people will be surprised with our run;pass ratio this year. I would not all be surprised if it was closer to 60:40 rather than 70:30 like a lot of people thought it would be.

M.O.T.H.
04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
What's better than one Captain Munnerlyn? Two Captain Munnerlyn's. Freshman, Akeem Auguste, has made quite the impression on Spurrier and crew. Spurrier went as far as saying, that he plays well beyond his years, he doesnt look like a freshman out there. At 5'9 180, he has a similar build to the Captain and he has been drawing comparisons w/ his play. Akeem could be looking at a lot of playing time this season and just like Captain, I wouldnt be surprised if he was the starter by seasons end, in his freshman season. good stuff.

BigJohn98
04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
2006 rivals 100 wr damon mcdaniel (fsu) is transferring

either to va tech or wvu; would have 3 yrs to play 2

we have his old hs coach chris beatty as our rb/slot receivers coach; i think we get him

him and logan heastie as starting wr next year would be awesome

That is old, old news. He transferred so he could go back home to be with his girlfriend and newborn son.

kwilk103
04-12-2008, 01:40 PM
yea, but i think his mind is made up and its wvu

man, in 2009

brown/starks at qb
devine/kerns at rb
mcdaniel/heastie at wr

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Did Devine play? If so how did he look?

kwilk103
04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
9 carries--61 yds---6.7 ypc

hes not really playin much in scrimmages; want to get a look at other players; 1st scrimmage he only had 2 carries

his back-up/dual starter (when we use 2 rb) terrence kerns is at hargrave and will be here in the summer---240 lbs, 4.4 speed

this is him at 225lbs; hes up to 235-240

http://media.scout.com/media/image/46/461851.jpg

504 to ATL
04-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Goodness UF's defense still looks horrible.

BigJohn98
04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Chris Rainey was timed at 4.24 seconds in Florida's fastest man on campus competition before the spring game. Wow.

keylime_5
04-12-2008, 06:03 PM
That's what happens when you time it by hand, some people can get times 2 tenths of a second different.

fenikz
04-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Chris Rainey was timed at 4.24 seconds in Florida's fastest man on campus competition before the spring game. Wow.

ya he looked extremely fast in that scrimmage, but there D isn't the best thing to judge him against, especially when they are being limited to no blitzes and such

Cigaro
04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
What's better than one Captain Munnerlyn? Two Captain Munnerlyn's. Freshman, Akeem Auguste, has made quite the impression on Spurrier and crew. Spurrier went as far as saying, that he plays well beyond his years, he doesnt look like a freshman out there. At 5'9 180, he has a similar build to the Captain and he has been drawing comparisons w/ his play. Akeem could be looking at a lot of playing time this season and just like Captain, I wouldnt be surprised if he was the starter by seasons end, in his freshman season. good stuff.

Yeah thats what I was thinking when reading about him in practice. If plays equal on the field as he does in practice, it would be a waste if he didn't see the field as often as possible.

Hines
04-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey kwilk, is it true that Woofley is leaving PC to coach at WV. My friend who is going there told me that this was happening so I thought I would ask to confirm it.

kwilk103
04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
no; he has a kid and wife and it is a drastic paycut

plus, he can keep the west pipeline open; got 4 starters from him this year alone

and 1 comin next year

helped us get 4* de teviat finau, 4* og/c benji komeoteu (hes from hawaii, but bros play for carolina and pittsburgh), and next year 4* lb aki vakahali (cousin in finau)

cb brantown bowser was a starter before sprained acl (will be one in fall), s courtney stuart expected to compete for starting fs job

its a good pipeline to have

and damon mcdaniel is expected to transfer to wvu; hs coach is our rb/slot coach

coach beatty got us heastie, boyd, and now mcdaniel and hes been her less than 3 months

but former wvu qb jujuan seider is coming as a ga---was jarrett browns and star jacksons hs coach; good for recruiting

coach stew knows what hes doin

Hines
04-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Hm interesting, I wonder how my friend got that idea.

kwilk103
04-12-2008, 09:31 PM
it was heavily rumored; he even got offered as a ga, just couldnt do it financially

helps us more though

BamaFalcon59
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Virginia Tech.'s seemingly top RB (Jahre Cheeseman) broke his left fibula in our most recent (2nd?) scrimmage. Should be back for summer workouts.

Darren Evans, Jamar Oglesby, and Dustin Pickle are pretty much the only ones left. Come season I think it will be Cheeseman and Evans, with Kenny Louis Jr. being the third down back. I'm not sure how we are going to use Ryan Williams. I think a redshirt would be for the best, but I doubt that happens.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Did anyone happen to catch Clemson's Spring Game?

If so I was wondering how a few guys did?

Cullen Harper
Willy Korn
C.J. Spiller
James Davis
DaQuan Bowers
Jamie Cumbie

Cigaro
04-13-2008, 04:22 PM

Cullen Harper
Willy Korn
C.J. Spiller
James Davis
DaQuan Bowers
Jamie Cumbie

I didn't watch it, but from what I've heard, other than Cullen Harper, the offense was dominated by the defense. Only around 50 total rushing yards(not sure about attempts). Apparently DaQuan Bowers played pretty good.

keylime_5
04-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I think Spiller, Davis, and Harper's performances are pretty irrelevant since they are the proven guys. The question is how Bowers and Cumbie and Korn did since they are the young guns.

Harper had a good game, and I think Bowers had 6 tackles. Korn played most of the game and was kinda sloppy and unimpressive. That's all I heard on local tv that I remember

Tampa 2 4 life
04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Bulls: Low scoring, 6-3 affair. The team lost on a missed Alverado FG(Shocking.)

Jarriet Buie and George Selvie looked, beastly, Buie had 4 sacks, Selvie had 3 in limited action. Redshirt freshman Patrick Hampton had 3 sacks when Selvie went out of the game.

Grothe - Severely Limited Action, 5-5, 70 yards.
Taurus Johnson - 6 receptions, 68 yards
Mike Ford - 14 carries, 56 yards

Tyrone Mckenzie will be the MLB, Brouce Mompremier at WLB, with Junior Chris Robinson is the SLB.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Bulls: Low scoring, 6-3 affair. The team lost on a missed Alverado FG(Shocking.)

Jarriet Buie and George Selvie looked, beastly, Buie had 4 sacks, Selvie had 3 in limited action. Redshirt freshman Patrick Hampton had 3 sacks when Selvie went out of the game.

Grothe - Severely Limited Action, 5-5, 70 yards.
Taurus Johnson - 6 receptions, 68 yards
Mike Ford - 14 carries, 56 yards

Tyrone Mckenzie will be the MLB, Brouce Mompremier at WLB, with Junior Chris Robinson is the SLB.

Who will replace Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins?

As for Alverado, does Bill Gramatica have any eligibility left.;)

draftguru151
04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Bowers led the team with 7 tackles and also had 2 sacks. Can't wait to watch him next season. Davis didn't play.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Who will replace Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins?

As for Alverado, does Bill Gramatica have any eligibility left.;)

Jerome Murphy, and whoever steps up in Summer.

Well we have a Freshman who was hitting 60+ yarders during Halftime, so as soon as Delbert struggles he'll probably be in.

Rjspartan
04-13-2008, 04:59 PM
i saw the florida spring game and a redshirted freshman named Chris Rainey looks like he could be a star. He is one of the most explosive players i have seen in a while. He played RB and had great hands. Rainey and Harvin could be the most explosive duo in college football.

BigJohn98
04-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Cullen Harper
Willy Korn
C.J. Spiller
James Davis
DaQuan Bowers
Jamie Cumbie

Their offensive line gave up eleven sacks.

BigJohn98
04-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Florida State's offense looked like sh!t(shocking, I know). Many incompletions due to dropped balls. The defense has no intensity at all. It will be a long year for us, again.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Don't know if this has been posted.

But PSU linebacker Sean Lee may be out for all of 2008. ACL injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3343845

Terrible blow to PSUs defense. Losing Connor to the draft was bad enough.

Axl Rose
04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Since a few people have asked about ND’s spring practices, I’ll give you my thoughts.

QB-I expect a big year from Jimmy Clausen, he’s fully healed from the elbow surgery he had last year and has the zip back in his throws. In spring camp he has shown tremendous accuracy, leadership, and overall knowledge of the game. I’m really excited to see what he does with his new receiving targets.

RB-We’re in very good shape here, we have 3 running backs with experience and with distinct qualities. Robert Hughes is the big bruising power back, Armando Allen is the speed back with legit 4.3 speed, and James Aldridge is a mix between the two.

FB-Asap Schwapp is truly an awful fullback, He is a classic case of a guy who looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Its amazing how terrible he is in all facets of the game, he can’t catch, he can’t block, and he fumbles it every time he runs the ball. For some reason Charlie has a hard on for him because he looks physically imposing and cause he can bench press a house. Though Charlie did indicate last year that Junior Luke Schmidt was nipping at Schwapps heals for more playing time till he got hurt, which gives me hope that Luke can win the position in the summer. Luke Schmidt is 6-4 255 pounds and runs a 4.6, he also runs and catches better then Schwapp as well. He is a legit weapon that opposing defenses would have to deal with, while playing with Schwapp is like only playing with 10 men on the field. It seems former LB Steve Paskorz had also moved to FB which is exciting cause he was a great RB in HS and outstanding athlete who can easily make the transition. Paskorz will be a deadly FB in short time.

WR-Expect a huge improvement this year, last year we had very little experience, depth, or talent. Boy what a difference a year makes, we have both starting receivers backs Duval Kamara and David Grimes. Duval Kamara was our best receiver last year as a freshmen and shut be much better this year with more experience and off field training regimen. Duval is 6-5 225 pounds, very physical, good route runner, good speed, and soft hands, and very tough for smaller CB’s to handle. David Grimes on the other hand is smaller but very quick with sure hands, he is always solid. After those two we have George West who is solid and Golden Tate who is very dangerous except he still has to learn the position. The talent coming in is what’s really exciting, adding Michael Floyd, Deion Walker, and Jon Goodman to the mix. ND’s receiving corp should be very formidable soon.

TE-Short on experience but big on talent, Mike Ragone will start and he’s as athletic as you get for a TE. He got little playing time sitting behind Carlson last year and is still undersized at 6-5 241, but at the same time he’s a bigger offensive threat then Carlson was because he has wide receiver type speed and is very elusive with the ball. Behind him is Will Yeatmen, hes a big blocking TE who I hear just returned to camp after suspension for DUI. Hes a very good blocking TE with the most experienced of the group. We also have two big time TE’s coming in, Kyle Rudolph and Joseph Fauria. I hope they red shirt Fauria to give him a year to put on weight and create another year of separation between him and Ragone. Fauria I can see helping us right away since hes very big, is a great blocker, and has very good hands.

OL-This is the area that needs most improvement from last year, and the area that I think will make the most improvement. First of all Sam Young will be back to his natural right tackle position, hes healthy this year after being injured all last year, and hes up to 330 pounds and still looks like he could put on at least 20 pounds more. Wenger who started several games last year will be back at his natural position of center and now 15 pounds bulkier then last year. Eric Olsen who also started several games last year and was also solid will return at left tackle as well. At right guard Chris Stewart looks like he will beat out senior Michael Turkovich who struggled last year but did improve through out the year. Still stewart is the wise choice cause he is strong as a bull and 6-5 340, and a good run blocker who still needs to work on his pass blocking and blitz pick up, still the right side of the line will be close to 800 pounds and should be able to run on anyone. The left tackle is the question mark right now, Last years starter Paul Duncan plain and simply just sucks, he was garbage last year, and shouldn’t be second string let alone a starter. He was basically a turn style last year, everyone got by him with little or no effort, if hes protecting Jimmy’s blind side then ND’s in huge trouble. Luckily enough most expect Matt Romine to beat him out, hes much more athletic and maybe the most technically sound linemen we have. The bad news is that he was hurt last year and has been hurt part of the spring as well. Romines health is the highest concern right now if ND’s line is to succeed. Other then the staters we have good depth with Thomas Bemenderfer, Michael Turkovich, Trevor Robinson, Andrew Nuss, Taylor Dever, ect.

DL-Freshmen all American Ian Williams returns. Hes a perfect nose tackle cause he has size at 6-2 305 and is extremely powerful so he can take on double teams and stuff up the middle. Hes also pretty quick, has a big time motor, and is good in pursuit. Pat Kuntz should be back at the beginning of the season and this time starting at strong side defensive end instead of Nose tackle. He was one of the surprises of last year, even though he was undersized he still did a good job in the middle. The move to end should really help him cause he will no longer be under sized at his position, and can use his quickness better since hes very good at slanting and penetrating. Weak side defensive end will be taken over by Maurice Richardson, hes small at 6-2 258 but ultra athletic, one of those guys you just have to get on the field to take advantage of their athleticism. He continues to put on weight but I don’t know if he can ever be over 275, then again he is the weak side and his speed and quickness should be enough for him to get penetration. Depth will be provided by Emeka Nwankwo and Justin brown, as well as the outstanding 5 commits we got this year including Cwynar, Johnson, Newman, Moore, and Williams.

LB-I can’t wait to see what coach Tenuta has drawn up, we should see much more aggressive play from the LB corp. Kerry Neal and Brian Smith have been very impressive and have both outside positions locked down. Maurice Crum is back as a 5th year senior and should be solid as always in the middle. The only question mark will be who is the other inside linebacker, Toryan Smith has really underachieved since hes been here and is not really fast enough to start IMO, every other MLB is more of a back up then a starter. I really believe Freshman Anthony McDonald will win the starting spot, hes big at 6-3 240, fast, and fundamentally sound.

CB-A real strength of the team, any which of the 4 main guys Walls, Lambert, McNeil, and Gray all can start and the defense won’t miss a beat. But Walls and Lambert look like the starters with McNeil and Gray providing the back up, with incoming freshmen Jamoris Slaughter and Robert Blanton providing even more depth.

S-Another Strength, Free Safety David Bruton will be a first round pick in the draft next year, physically he is very impressive at 6-2 205, runs a 4.3 and a 40 inch vertical. The strong safety position is an interesting battle, with Kyle McCarthy being the most experienced and played very well last year. He is trying to fight off Harrison Smith who has made a real strong push and has unlimited potential. I personally hope and believe Harrison Smith will win the battle because he is just to good to keep off the field, hes is 6-2 runs a 4.3 in the 40, a 3.96 in the short shuttle, a 40 inch vertical, and he is very intelligent. His Upside is just to great for him not to start. But McCarthy, along with Sergio Brown, Ray Herring, and Jashad Gaines will make fine back ups and give us excellent depth.

K-The kicking game should improve this year now that Brandon Walker has some experience. Walker has been working hard off season and only missed 2 field goals the entire spring.

Sniper
04-13-2008, 07:50 PM
LB-Maurice Crum is back as a 5th year senior and should be solid as always in the middle.

ESPN had him listed as one of they "key departures" in that scrolling thing on at UF's spring practice. I assume they were just wrong. I thought he was back but wasn't sure. He's an excellent talent.

Hines
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Bowers led the team with 7 tackles and also had 2 sacks. Can't wait to watch him next season. Davis didn't play.

Him with Ricky Sapp on the other side is going to be so awesome. I am excited to see them play.

etk
04-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Him with Ricky Sapp on the other side is going to be so awesome. I am excited to see them play.

Agree. Nice combination of power and speed.

Hines
04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Agree. Nice combination of power and speed.

I wouldnt be suprised if Sapp left this season and another true frosh comes in and takes his spot.

I believe Bowers could have a better career then Adams, Sapp, and Merling.

Axl Rose
04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
ESPN had him listed as one of they "key departures" in that scrolling thing on at UF's spring practice. I assume they were just wrong. I thought he was back but wasn't sure. He's an excellent talent.

ESPN's wrong, hes coming back. ESPN's done a bad job this year IMO, I've heard them make so many mistakes so far.

etk
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
ESPN's wrong, hes coming back. ESPN's done a bad job this year IMO, I've heard them make so many mistakes so far.

I didn't know anyone thought Crum was leaving....he's never been listed on any draft sites for 08.

keylime_5
04-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Figured out about Espn's suckiness about 7 years ago. ESPN's agenda= ratings/money, not quality.

Axl Rose
04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
I didn't know anyone thought Crum was leaving....he's never been listed on any draft sites for 08.

He told everyone he was coming back for his 5th year last year. ESPN does this a lot, most of their magazine and TV show previews never take into account 5th year seniors. After a player completes their 4th season ESPN just assumes they'll be gone.

Axl Rose
04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Nobody mentioned it so i'll post it.

McKnight Ineligible
By Scott Wolf on April 12, 2008 3:41 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
Tailback Joe McKnight dropped a class Friday and fell below 12 units, which means he is ineligible for the remainder of spring practice. He will be able to make up the class in summer school.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey Axl,

Any of the recruits enroll early?

If so how did they look?

Also how is Robert Hughes looking?

Axl Rose
04-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Axl,

Any of the recruits enroll early?

If so how did they look?

Also how is Robert Hughes looking?

Only 2 early enrollees, Sean Cwynar and Trevor Robinson. Apparently Cwynar looks like a freshmen, what I hear is that he has to get accustomed to playing when everyone is good. His size and strength are fine but he has to get quicker and become more explosive. Trevor Robinson on the other hand doesn't look or play like a freshmen, hes big, strong, explosive, and has a mean streak. He should get a lot of time his freshmen year.

Robert Hughes has looked great, hes just a load to handle at 5'11 240 pounds. I could see him unseating Aldridge sometime down the line.

JayP
04-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Alright...to clean up Axl's mistakes about ND...

*Aldridge is the starter for a reason. He was getting his yards against the tougher portion of ND's schedule, and only didn't get the chance to shine later on because he was dinged up. I think he'll hang onto his starting spot, but his performance will depend on the line. Hughes and Allen will get their touches, and I wouldn't be surprised for Jonas Gray to get into the mix when he hits campus.

*Schmidt has moved to an H-Back role, and will see more time as a TE than he will at FB due to Yeatman being suspended for the rest of the semester(he is at practice, but cannot participate...University rules), so Schwapp will be the starting FB. At the moment, Schmidt is out with a concussion, so it's pretty much Ragone and some walk-ons. Paskorz and Gallup were moved to FB and RB respectively to increase their chances to get on the field soon.

*Joseph Fauria is 6'8, 250. I don't know how much more weight he needs to put on as a TE. Maybe he's thinking of Kyle Rudolph, but Rudolph has stated before that he kept his weight down for basketball. Now that he's done with that and is preparing to hit campus, I think he'll have no problem putting on pounds.

*Eric Olson is a Guard, not a Tackle. Olson's in a dogfight with Chris Stewart to be the starter on the right side. Both seem to have their positives and negatives, but I like the battle.

*Justin Brown is the starting strongside DE, and the way he's performing this spring, the position may not be easy for Kuntz to snatch when/if he returns.

*The LB starters seem to be falling into shape, as a practice report I saw today said that the first group showed as Brian Smith and Crum on the inside, and Kerry Neal and Harrison Smith on the outside. Neither Smith move surprises me, as Brian was always at the inside in the recruit films I saw of him, and Harrison is a big guy who can defend in space.

*Weis has stated Kyle McCarthy went into the spring as the starter and has shown that it's not even a competition.

cdub11
04-14-2008, 01:43 PM
In the Florida spring game Carlos Dunlap looked like a star, he was unblockable

kwilk103
04-14-2008, 11:47 PM
3rd string qb bradley starks is lining up at wr (6'3)---looks real good; has a td catch in every practice, including a 60yd in the scrimmage sat and a 50yd today in practice; will be our qb in 09

kid is an athlete; put up 40 on oak hill academy his jr year (mayo and bill walkers team) and had some major d-1 offers, but decided on fball early on; went to wvu bball practice for 1 week and huggs said he would have been the best player on the team, but decided to focus on fball

oh, and his sr year in hs he had the 4th best long jump in the country

we have packages to get him, jarrett brown, and pat all on the field at the same time

duckseason
04-15-2008, 04:06 AM
::: Our fastest player, Jamere Holland, has been working hard to shake off the rust from having not played last year. He was the first guy to catch passes from Darron Thomas when he arrived, and he also recently caught balls from Dennis Dixon as he prepared for workouts for NFL scouts. Though surely inaccurate, Holland's 4.21 40 was very impressive considering that Jones was clocked at 4.26. There's no question that Jones is a sub-4.4 guy in reality, so I take these numbers as an indicator that Holland is in the low 4.3's. As of now, Holland is practicing with the 2nd team behind Drew Davis. Jaison Williams and Jeffrey Maehl are the other current 1's, while Aaron Pflugrad and Terrence Scott are the other 2's. I expect big things from this group this year and am really hoping that Holland in particular picks things up quickly and works his way into some serious PT.

Holland was practicing with the first team on Monday, in place of Drew Davis. Apparently he made several impressive catches that had everybody oohing and awing. Man, I'm rooting for Holland to win a starting role, but I really like Davis too. After last season's performance, I think I'd rather have Williams be the odd man out. But really, no matter who the starters are, I'm sure we'll have 5 guys who see plenty of PT on a weekly basis.

Don Vito
04-15-2008, 08:35 AM
A few notes from Ole Miss

-Jevan Snead (Texas transfer) is looking very good at QB

-Cordera Eason looks to be the frontrunner for the starting RB, he had 2 carries for 90 yards and 2 TDs in the spring game.

-Starting WR Dexter McCluster, although being only 5-9 170, is being used like Darren McFadden was in Nutt's offense at Arkansas in the "Wild Rebel" formation. This is where he lines up at QB in the shotgun. He has also lined up at RB as well as being a starting WR and return man.

-Due to some depth a WR and little depth at corner, slot receiver/returner Marshay Green was moved to corner. He has performed well enough to be starting with the first team.

-DE Greg Hardy has been playing well in spring, but Nutt is saying Hardy is struggling to grasp DC Tyrone Nix's system.

etk
04-15-2008, 02:34 PM
3rd string qb bradley starks is lining up at wr (6'3)---looks real good; has a td catch in every practice, including a 60yd in the scrimmage sat and a 50yd today in practice; will be our qb in 09

kid is an athlete; put up 40 on oak hill academy his jr year (mayo and bill walkers team) and had some major d-1 offers, but decided on fball early on; went to wvu bball practice for 1 week and huggs said he would have been the best player on the team, but decided to focus on fball

we have packages to get him, jarrett brown, and pat all on the field at the same time

Interesting...

Hokie_Pokie08
04-15-2008, 02:44 PM

so i'm guessing you think tahj will redshirt?

kwilk103
04-15-2008, 03:02 PM
tajh isnt coming til january

if starks doesnt permenately stay at wr it will look like this

2008---white (sr), brown (rsjr), starks (rsfr)
2009---brown (rssr), starks (rssoph), russell (rssoph), boyd (rs)
2010---starks (rsjr), boyd (rsfr)
2011---starks (rssr), boyd (rssoph)
2012---boyd

but he might stay at wr; hes been burning every db so far; good size 6'4--190, with good speed (4.4)

might keep him at wr and have boyd at qb

draftguru151
04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
A few notes from Ole Miss

-Jevan Snead (Texas transfer) is looking very good at QB

-Cordera Eason looks to be the frontrunner for the starting RB, he had 2 carries for 90 yards and 2 TDs in the spring game.

-Starting WR Dexter McCluster, although being only 5-9 170, is being used like Darren McFadden was in Nutt's offense at Arkansas in the "Wild Rebel" formation. This is where he lines up at QB in the shotgun. He has also lined up at RB as well as being a starting WR and return man.

-Due to some depth a WR and little depth at corner, slot receiver/returner Marshay Green was moved to corner. He has performed well enough to be starting with the first team.

-DE Greg Hardy has been playing well in spring, but Nutt is saying Hardy is struggling to grasp DC Tyrone Nix's system.

How much of a role is Enrique Davis going to have next year?

bwillie26
04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Nebraska's spring game is this Saturday. Here is a great article about their spring game compared to others around the country ..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/04/14/nebraska.spring.ap/index.html

It's tough to deny these guys as one of the best fan bases in the country. Paying almost $100 a ticket for a glorified scrimmage.

In any case, these are some things for this fall ..

- Joe Ganz is the unquestioned starter.

- Roy Helu is really pushing Marlon Lucky. Helu is said to be the most impressive player on the entire team.

- Cody Glenn has made the move from RB to weakside LB. Within a week he was practicing with the 1's. Right now he is relying heavily on basic instincts and is said to be one of the most impressive defensive players we have. He is just absolutely lighting people up.

- WRs and TEs are not a real bright spot so far. Too many mental mistakes right now. Although we have found a legit deep threat in Curenski Gilleylen. Even yet, no one is really separating themselves from the pack like Purify did last year. Really a worry right now for the team.

- Anthony Blue (starting CB) tore his ACL and might be questionable this year.

- Ndamukong Suh is sitting out this spring with meniscus problems.

- Lots of run-ins with the law. Pelini has ban the team from bars and has even went as far to go to bars himself to make sure no one is there.

- Offensive line is the strong part of this team. Will likely be the best offensive line we have had since the mid-90's.

- The best player may be a true sophomore in Jaivorio Burkes. He was nothing short of impressive playing LT as a true freshman. Now he is trimmer and has made a move to RT for the time being. Kid is 300+ pounds and has the agility of someone half his size. Jaivorio has been watched pulling off highlight reel dunks (360 type dunks) which showcases the type of rare athlete he is. I have literally no doubt this kid will be a high 1st round pick next year or in 2010.

- Being in shape isn't just limited to Burkes. The whole team is re-defined thanks to new S&C James Dobson. All the baby fat and fatties from past years are a thing of the past. Even Matt Slauson (weighed 360lbs last year) is down to 320lbs this year and it has been showing on the field.

Don Vito
04-16-2008, 10:05 PM
How much of a role is Enrique Davis going to have next year?

Honestly I don't think he will be a big factor next season. He is an elite talent, but he hasn't even practiced with the team yet. Junior Cordera Eason has pretty much established himself as the starter, he is a good talent who is having a great spring. WR Dexter McCluster (who I think you are familiar with Guru) has been lining up as a RB quite a bit, too. Nutt put in his offense from Arkansas where McFadden used to line up as a QB in the "Wild Hog", and McCluster is being utilised as McFadden was in the "Wild Rebel". Nutt has implemented some of the pistol offense too, McCluster lines up behind Snead while we are in the shotgun. Jeremy McGee is a scatback who transfered from UCLA, he also looks to get quite a few reps. Freshmen backs Devin Thomas, Brandon Bolden, and H.R. Greer could get some action as well.

With all this said, Davis hasn't practiced with the team yet. He could come to Oxford and absolutely tear it up and start immediately. I just don't see it happening, I think Nutt will let him get some carries but I don't see him being a major factor quite yet. He has the skills to be the best RB Ole Miss has had since Deuce, but Nutt has already assembled the personnel he likes for the many formations we have, and Enrique hasn't been able to show himself to Nutt.

Bosanac01
04-16-2008, 10:14 PM
yoo its Don Vito!! I agree Enrique Davis wont have much of an impact this year. I beleive he'll get some carries and will let his talent shine. I think he'll establish himself as a great RB in future with great productivity, possesing that great blend of size and speed.

draftguru151
04-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Yea hopefully he can work into the rotation throughout the season. In the Auburn spring game last year he looked like the most talented back on the field. Should be fun to watch at Ole Miss.

Scientist McKnowitall
04-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Notes for Michigan after the Spring Game.

If the season started today Steven Threet is the starter, from what I've read he didn't look very good but the conditions were bad and there were some dropped balls. There is a good chance that when the season starts Carlos Brown or Brandon Minor will split time with Threet and run Rodriguez's version of Arkansas Wild Hog.

Running back is probably UM's deepest position with Minor, Brown, Avery Horn, former 5 star Kevin Grady and incoming freshmen Sam McGuffie.

The O-Line looks awful. Boren leaving hurts. During the spring game Schilling looked the best. Rodriguez needs to fill some holes and fill them quickly or the O-Line will be as big an issue all season as the Quarterback position.

On defense Brandon Graham is going to have the huge year many predicted he'd have last year, at times during the scrimmage he was unblockable. During spring practice Rodriguez demoted Terrance Taylor to the 2nd team it looks like the demotion worked and it's lit a fire under Taylor.

The starting Linebackers won't be decided until all the income freshmen enroll but right now the starters are Obi Ezeh and who ever else steps up.

Donovan Warren should have a huge year and Morgan Trent has stepped up as a team leader and he should have a good year as well. As far as the safeties go it's Stevie Brown and probably Artis Chambers.

504 to ATL
04-17-2008, 01:37 AM
how can Threet be the starter he just transfered?

Scientist McKnowitall
04-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Threet transfered from Georgia Tech prior to the start of GT's fall camp in 2007, he sat out last season making him eligible for this fall.

Sniper
04-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Notes for Michigan after the Spring Game.

If the season started today Steven Threet is the starter, from what I've read he didn't look very good but the conditions were bad and there were some dropped balls. There is a good chance that when the season starts Carlos Brown or Brandon Minor will split time with Threet and run Rodriguez's version of Arkansas Wild Hog.

Running back is probably UM's deepest position with Minor, Brown, Avery Horn, former 5 star Kevin Grady and incoming freshmen Sam McGuffie.

The O-Line looks awful. Boren leaving hurts. During the spring game Schilling looked the best. Rodriguez needs to fill some holes and fill them quickly or the O-Line will be as big an issue all season as the Quarterback position.

On defense Brandon Graham is going to have the huge year many predicted he'd have last year, at times during the scrimmage he was unblockable. During spring practice Rodriguez demoted Terrance Taylor to the 2nd team it looks like the demotion worked and it's lit a fire under Taylor.

The starting Linebackers won't be decided until all the income freshmen enroll but right now the starters are Obi Ezeh and who ever else steps up.

Donovan Warren should have a huge year and Morgan Trent has stepped up as a team leader and he should have a good year as well. As far as the safeties go it's Stevie Brown and probably Artis Chambers.

Another Michigan fan! High five!

In addition to what you said, I heard Troy Woolfolk looked good in the spring game. What are you hearing about redshirt frosh Michael Williams at safety?

P-L
04-17-2008, 09:43 AM
If you all want to know how highly Rich Rod thinks of Donovan Warren, he supposedly has been telling recruits that Warren is probably three and out.

Scientist McKnowitall
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Another Michigan fan! High five!

In addition to what you said, I heard Troy Woolfolk looked good in the spring game. What are you hearing about redshirt frosh Michael Williams at safety?

Good call on Woolfolk, he looked great and was flying around during the scrimmage and he's probably locked up the nickelback position over converted receiver Doug Dutch.
As far as Williams he did stand out, he was in on quite a few tackles, right now he's behind Charles Stewart and Artis Chambers but when it's all said and done I think the battle for playing time will come down to Williams and Chambers.

I'm excited about what the secondary can do this year, throw in Cissoko and this group can be one of the best in the Big 10.

jbeans187
04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
A little on Mizzou this spring...
Starting LB Van Alexander tore his ACL but is optimistic to be playing in september, Luke Lambert is filling in for him, he has a bright future. Sean Weatherspoon is playing with a torn labrum, will have surgery after the spring game saturday. 3rd string RB Devion Moore has been tearing it up definitely earning playing time. Back up QB Chase Patton is doing a great job. Maclin and Daniel have been doing what everyone expects. Jared Perry who had a sophomore slump last season has had a great spring catching everything. The offensive line is still being worked out, i wouldnt be suprised if a true frosh comes in before the season is over. Also the defense is thin at LB with one player leaving, one getting kicked off, and injuries. My lesser known players to watch next season are CB Carl Gettis, DE Stryker Sulak, DT Ziggy Hood, and WR Jared Perry. Overall the offense will be great as long as the o line holds up, on defense the d line should be good and very deep, the secondary is much improved, linebacker should also be improved barring anymore injuries but there is a scary lack of depth.

Sniper
04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Good call on Woolfolk, he looked great and was flying around during the scrimmage and he's probably locked up the nickelback position over converted receiver Doug Dutch.
As far as Williams he did stand out, he was in on quite a few tackles, right now he's behind Charles Stewart and Artis Chambers but when it's all said and done I think the battle for playing time will come down to Williams and Chambers.

I'm excited about what the secondary can do this year, throw in Cissoko and this group can be one of the best in the Big 10.

I think Boubacar can come in right away and press for early PT. He's a good fit for the nickel as a frosh. He's very physical for a guy his size and sticks to guys like glue.

Scientist McKnowitall
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
If you all want to know how highly Rich Rod thinks of Donovan Warren, he supposedly has been telling recruits that Warren is probably three and out.

There have been some rumors that Warren possibly wanted out and was looking to transfer but if he wanted out I think he would've already announced it.
With all the transfers and players quitting that have happened over the last few months it really makes you wonder just how much of a summer camp Lloyd was running.

badgerbacker
04-18-2008, 08:08 PM
http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/tags/matt+shaughnessy/default.aspx

Hopefully it's not as serious as they think, but it sounds like Matt Shaughnessy of the Badgers has a pretty serious leg injury. I think we have two healthy defensive linemen who have played in an NCAA game before. Could be an interesting Spring game tomorrow.

Cigaro
04-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Mod edit.

^

I think that caps any leg injury your guy has.

Bosanac01
04-18-2008, 09:43 PM
dayyum, thats bad i didnt even know a leg could bend like that, it was unnecessary to post though.

lordquas
04-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Thats Messed Up

etk
04-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Where did all the pics go? Anyone link me?

Scientist McKnowitall
04-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Man that looked brutal. Does anyone know when that happened and who it was?

kwilk103
04-19-2008, 01:22 PM
just got back from wvu's spring game

offense won 65-15; defense looked real good(offense got points for 1st downs, td, fg; defense int, fumble, 3 and out)

white looked real good, so did devine; good passing down the field; used a te for once; only 2 bubble screens

kwilk103
04-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Rushing – Poitier 17-55, Devine 6-33, White 6-15, Sanders 4-12, Johnson 3-12, McCloskey 6-minus 1, Total 45-131.

Passing – White 12-16-1-133-1, Brown 10-15-0-65-1, Russell 2-4-0-7-0, Total 24-35-1-205-2.

Receiving – Hogan 6-49, Sanders 5-71, Starks 3-41, Poitier 2-8, Crow 2-5, Jalloh 1-10, McCloskey 1-7, Arnett 1-5, Gonzales 1-4, Washington 1-4, Devine 1-1, Total

bwillie26
04-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Official attendance for Nebraska's spring game: 80,149

As I said before, Nebraska's game isn't free either. Each of those were paying customers to watch a glorified scrimmage.

Cigaro
04-19-2008, 05:09 PM
South Carolina played its spring game today. Black team won 37-34 on a last second touchdown.

Quarterbacks didn't play well today. There were eight interceptions. Chris Smelley threw five, Beecher threw three. While both didn't play like they have in past scrimmages, Beecher distanced himself somewhat from Smelley, but didn't guarantee himself the starting spot going into fall. He obviously outplayed Smelley, but still didn't play well enough to end the competition.

Running backs didn't do bad today. Mike Davis, incumbent starter, didn't get to play much because of his injury, but still managed to score a touchdown. Sophomore Brian Maddox was the best runner at the game today. Made a mix of both elusive and power runs. Bobby Wallace showed some speed on his few carries.

Offensive line played its best spring game it has under Spurrier. While not dominant, where able to open some holes for the running game. They did however have some trouble in pass blocking, which isn't a good sign when the defense isn't allowed to blitz.

Secondary looked just like it did last season(#1 in SEC). They made eight interceptions, many of which were pretty athletic ones. Chris Culliver and Mark Barnes both showed off some serious ball skills, with I believe both nabbing at last one INT. Akeem Auguste continued to show why he should start opposite Munnerlyn, making a diving INT. Freshman linebacker Shaq Wilson also was able to make a one handed INT.

Had two funny moments in the game; Scott Spurrier, the 5'4 non-scholly WR son of Steve Spurrier, somehow managed to get wide open and caught a touchdown. Apparently there was a flag on the play however, but Spurrier told the refs to ignore the penalty and let the touchdown stand.

On the last second touchdown mentioned earlier mentioned that won the game for the black team, our mascot actually got out there and tried to make a play for the ball.

keylime_5
04-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Carolina's defense will be there this year, but I think that QB mess will keep them down to 3rd in the East at best unfortunately. 8 INTs, ouch.

Cigaro
04-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Carolina's defense will be there this year, but I think that QB mess will keep them down to 3rd in the East at best unfortunately. 8 INTs, ouch.

Yeah pretty bad. Don't count Stephen Garcia out, yet though. While he will be far behind in terms of practice, he has the best arm of any of our quarterbacks, and if he gets his life on track and doesn't make anymore stupid mistakes, he'll still be with the team.

keylime_5
04-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope to see Garcia out there this fall, he's got a better arm and is a great scrambler too. I would not like to go to a couple games this year just to see Smelley stink it up.

bwillie26
04-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Something I do not get .. ESPN (well, Joe Schad) keeps saying Jimmy Clausen is drastically improved and showed it in the spring game, but yet from the stats they showed he was 10-27 with a TD and INT today.

I don't see how that is drastically improved when you complete 37% of your passes in a spring game.

504 to ATL
04-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I dont know if anyone is interested but this is a fairly in depth/good analysis of LSU's spring, including some high lites of their spring game.

http://media.putfile.com/Cox-Sports-2008-LSU-spring-recap

Axl Rose
04-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Something I do not get .. ESPN (well, Joe Schad) keeps saying Jimmy Clausen is drastically improved and showed it in the spring game, but yet from the stats they showed he was 10-27 with a TD and INT today.

I don't see how that is drastically improved when you complete 37% of your passes in a spring game.

There was several dropped catchable balls.

bwillie26
04-19-2008, 11:41 PM
^

I highly doubt there were enough dropped balls to make 10-27 look respectable.

bearsfan_51
04-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Official attendance for Nebraska's spring game: 80,149

As I said before, Nebraska's game isn't free either. Each of those were paying customers to watch a glorified scrimmage.
This is Nebraska, people would pay to stare at corn.

awfullyquiet
04-20-2008, 12:04 AM

everyone still wants to suck off notre dame for no reason. especially the media.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 12:40 AM
^

At least six.

thetedginnshow
04-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I was at Ohio State's spring game today. Pretty sure I'm sick. No poncho, a t-shirt, and pouring rain might do that. But anyway, my boy Stoneburner is a beast. Didn't really look like it, but it didn't really look like they were trying to force anything, especially with all the injuries. Bauserman was probably the most impressive guy there. When he's 28 and a Senior, he's going to lead us to a NC.

etk
04-20-2008, 12:28 PM
At least six.

That's still below 50% comp......your boy sucks just admit it, and ND's woeful OLine doesn't help either.

bwillie26
04-20-2008, 02:07 PM
This is Nebraska, people would pay to stare at corn.

Stereotypical idiocy.

Next thing you know, I'm going to hear some racial slurs.

keylime_5
04-20-2008, 02:09 PM
I was at Ohio State's spring game today. Pretty sure I'm sick. No poncho, a t-shirt, and pouring rain might do that. But anyway, my boy Stoneburner is a beast. Didn't really look like it, but it didn't really look like they were trying to force anything, especially with all the injuries. Bauserman was probably the most impressive guy there. When he's 28 and a Senior, he's going to lead us to a NC.

Washington looked great too, but the offense was very vanilla yesterday in terms of playcalling - Robiskie and Wells didn't play and Mo Wells and Saine only played a tiny bit. Between RS Fr. Bauserman, RS so. Henton and Fr. Pryor our future at QB is in good hands.

Babylon
04-20-2008, 02:32 PM
^

I think in the case of Clausen you would be looking to see how his arm strength looks.

mqtirishfan
04-20-2008, 02:42 PM
That's still below 50% comp......your boy sucks just admit it, and ND's woeful OLine doesn't help either.

This is in no way an overreaction.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 03:13 PM

16 for 27 is 59 percent.

And I don't think Miami has room to talk, when was the last time they were good?

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 03:22 PM
wvu spring summary

pat white has looked good throwin the ball

qb depth chart is: white, brown, starks

starks is a very good wr; 9th nationally in long jump sr yr of hs; also put up 40 on walker and mayo in hs

lb jt thomas, pat lazear, and morty ivy are heat seeking missiles according to coach stew; starting mlb reed williams is out; prob back for camp, but rumors he might miss half the season (still has a redshirt)

db coach dave lockwood has his work cut out for him; guys had NO technique

cb ellis lankster has been a shutdown cb so far

devine not getting too many reps; want to see whats behind him

rb terrance kerns qualified---6' 240lbs 4.4 speed

fresh all-american scooter berry looks good

dline is thin, but tevita finau and dj shaw should step in right away

db look good; soph sidney glover is a player

overall defense looks good; most athletic we've had in 12 yrs; inexperienced, but a lot more talented, faster, and athletic than last years top 10 defense

recruiting off to good start---logan heastie and tajh boyd; nr yet chris snook, deon long, bruno busick---those 3 look to be high 3*/low 4*

jerod askew will prob come here to

tron martinez close to committing

etk
04-20-2008, 07:20 PM
16 for 27 is 59 percent.

And I don't think Miami has room to talk, when was the last time they were good?

10 for 21 isn't....it makes more sense to drop the stat then give a QB credit for a play that wasn't made. Hard for an ND homer not to manipulate stats to boost their players though, isn't it?

What does this have anything to do with Miami or any team? I'm talking about Clausen and how he won't be very good this year. At least if you're gonna insult me talk about Marve or something, jeez. I even gave him a compliment saying how his struggles are not entirely his fault. Whatever.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
bunch of hating going on today

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
10 for 21 isn't....it makes more sense to drop the stat then give a QB credit for a play that wasn't made. Hard for an ND homer not to manipulate stats to boost their players though, isn't it?

What does this have anything to do with Miami or any team? I'm talking about Clausen and how he won't be very good this year. At least if you're gonna insult me talk about Marve or something, jeez. I even gave him a compliment saying how his struggles are not entirely his fault. Whatever.

Don't listen to ND fans. Of all people they are the last ones to be talking about Miami's struggles. As bad as Miami played last season, ND was way worse.

ND was 3-9 last season and hasn't won at NC since 1988.

Miami was 5-7 last season and has won 3 NC (1989, 1991 and 2001) since the last time ND won one.

Can't believe ND fans are actually coming on here and trying to trash Miami based on the way we have played lately.

Sniper
04-20-2008, 08:43 PM
The most amusing part is ND fans go 3-9 and talk ****...Priceless. Losses to their two biggest rivals by a combined score of 76-0 with both backup QBs...That's skill.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 08:49 PM

And you make this assessment from what? Clausen was a true freshmen last year, go look at elite QB's and see how they did, Clausen actually preformed quite admirably. He will be better this year for the simple fact that he will be fully healed, knows the system better, the line is more experienced and improved, and hes actually got some play makers around him now.

sweetness34
04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Stereotypical idiocy.

Next thing you know, I'm going to hear some racial slurs.

Can't take a joke man?

sweetness34
04-20-2008, 08:51 PM
And you make this assessment from what? Clausen was a true freshmen last year, go look at elite QB's and see how they did, Clausen actually preformed quite admirably. He will be better this year for the simple fact that he will be fully healed, knows the system better, the line is more experienced and improved, and hes actually got some play makers around him now.

He's still not the prospect he was hyped to be. And 16 of 27 is pretty damn bad in a Spring Game.

He'll be better this year but that's not saying much compared to last season.

etk
04-20-2008, 08:54 PM

For sure he will be better this year...Erik Ainge's don't come around very often. All I said was that he won't be good this year, which should hold true considering how:

1) Brady Quinn didn't really blossom until his Junior year either
2) Clausen was mediocre at best in the spring game
3) Weak supporting cast

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Don't listen to ND fans. Of all people they are the last ones to be talking about Miami's struggles. As bad as Miami played last season, ND was way worse.

ND was 3-9 last season and hasn't won at NC since 1988.

Miami was 5-7 last season and has won 3 NC (1989, 1991 and 2001) since the last time ND won one.

Can't believe ND fans are actually coming on here and trying to trash Miami based on the way we have played lately.

You forgot one stat 7-16-1, thats Miami's record against ND. So I think fans of thug U should pipe down when talking about a team whos stolen their lunch money so often.

Miami was 5-7 last year, hardly anything to be proud of especially since Thug U lets anyone through the doors thats shows any talent.

Miami has been on a downward spiral for a long time now and it will continue IMO.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:00 PM
dang, i post some good stuff, and next thing i know it turns into a p*ssing match between nd, fsu, miami

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:03 PM
The most amusing part is ND fans go 3-9 and talk ****...Priceless. Losses to their two biggest rivals by a combined score of 76-0 with both backup QBs...That's skill.

LOL, Michigan will get theirs this year. ND got their transition period out the way but Michigan will be going through growing pains for a much longer time with a scum bag like Rodriguez on board.

Funny thing hearing Michigan fans talk trash when players are transferring out, players are doing drugs and still playing, and the university basically passes any player with the IQ of mustard as long as hes an athlete.

bwillie26
04-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Can't take a joke man?

Not a stereotypical joke that has been rehashed over and over and over.

You hear a lame joke once and you don't really care. But to hear it numerous times and it be as funny as the first time just gets on your nerves. Moreso when 99% of the people who crack jokes like that have little clue what they are talking about. They just assume it's funny and say it.

It is always just an irritating thing I have about folks who crack jokes, whether it be about states, certain religions, race, lifestyles, etc., when you know they have little clue what they are even really talking about.

Stereotypical jokes just lack substance, class and any tact.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:08 PM
He's still not the prospect he was hyped to be. And 16 of 27 is pretty damn bad in a Spring Game.

He'll be better this year but that's not saying much compared to last season.

Spring games don't mean much, look around the country. SCAR's QB's threw 8 INT's, OSU's Boekerman threw 2 INT's and 1 TD, Teabow threw 1 pick and 1 INT as well. Spring games need to be kept in prospective.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM
getting this back on track

wvu spring summary

starks is a very good wr; 9th nationally in long jump sr yr of hs; also put up 40 on walker and mayo in hs

lb jt thomas, pat lazear, and morty ivy are heat seeking missiles according to coach stew; starting mlb reed williams is out; prob back for camp, but rumors he might miss half the season (still has a redshirt)

overall defense looks good; most athletic we've had in 12 yrs; inexperienced, but a lot more talented, faster, and athletic than last years top 10 defense

recruiting off to good start---logan heastie and tajh boyd; nr yet chris snook, deon long, bruno busick---those 3 look to be high 3*/low 4*

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:10 PM
For sure he will be better this year...Erik Ainge's don't come around very often. All I said was that he won't be good this year, which should hold true considering how:

1) Brady Quinn didn't really blossom until his Junior year either
2) Clausen was mediocre at best in the spring game
3) Weak supporting cast

Actually Clausen wasn't mediocre and the sporting cast won't be bad. Kamara, Hughes, Allen, Grimes, Ragone, and the incoming Freshmen all have big play ability and will be dangerous weapons.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
getting this back on track

wvu spring summary

WVU still running the spread and 3-3-5?

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:17 PM
yes, with acutal downfield passing

only 2 bubbles screens in the 85 play scrimmage

and this is rb terrence kerns---dual starter with devine

242 lbs, 4.4 speed

http://i25.tinypic.com/iwjair.jpg

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 09:17 PM
You forgot one stat 7-16-1, thats Miami's record against ND. So I think fans of thug U should pipe down when talking about a team whos stolen their lunch money so often.

Miami was 5-7 last year, hardly anything to be proud of especially since Thug U lets anyone through the doors thats shows any talent.

Miami has been on a downward spiral for a long time now and it will continue IMO.

lol, your talking about recent memory and you bring up our stats against ND. When was the last time Miami played ND. 1988? Way to bring up relevant stats. Still living in the past huh.

Since the last time we played you how many NC have you won? One? Miami, Three?

And way to go with the Thug jokes. Real original. Maybe they would be funny if Miami even cared anymore but you guys material is so old that those jokes don't even matter anymore.

Miami has been on a downward spiral? Man if Miami goes 5-7 and last won a NC in 2001 and is on a downward spril then what is ND who was 3-9 and hasn't won a Nc since the 1980's?

You haven't fielded a top level team since Lou Holtz left.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:19 PM
yes, with acutal downfield passing

only 2 bubbles screens in the 85 play scrimmage

and this is rb terrence kerns---dual starter with devine

242 lbs, 4.4 speed

http://i25.tinypic.com/iwjair.jpg

Is there anyone in the big east even close to dethroning WVU, or will we see WVU in the BCS again?

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
pitt has the talent, but they still have wanny as coach
ul---lost brohm, urrutia, douglas, no defense
usf---lost trae williams, jenkins, moffit; offense is average; we put up 460 yds on them, but lost by 8 due to 6 turnovers
syracuse---one of worst teams in d-1a
uconn---average at best; one of the best d's in be and we put up 66
rugters---at home and we dont lose to them
cincy---at home, breakin in a new qb

we should win the be and contend for the nc; have 2 tough ooc games in auburn and @colorado

should have went undefeated last year, but playcalling held us back; got that fixed up

should be in the nc hunt again

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
lol, your talking about recent memory and you bring up our stats against ND. When was the last time Miami played ND. 1988? Way to bring up relevant stats. Still living in the past huh.

Since the last time we played you how many NC have you won? One? Miami, Three?

And way to go with the Thug jokes. Real original. Maybe they would be funny if Miami even cared anymore but you guys material is so old that those jokes don't even matter anymore.

Miami has been on a downward spiral? Man if Miami goes 5-7 and last won a NC in 2001 and is on a downward spril then what is ND who was 3-9 and hasn't won a Nc since the 1980's?

You haven't fielded a top level team since Lou Holtz left.

LOL, whats more relevant to a ND vs Miami argument then the head to head record? Oh thats right since it doesn't help your argument you want to avoid it all costs right?

The thug comments were more of a observation, you can't deny them can you? The athletic program is joke with all the brawls, arrests, and low acadmic standards.

Yes, Miami a sinking ship. You can quote me on this, Miami will be sub .500 again this year.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
pitt has the talent, but they still have wanny as coach
ul---lost brohm, urrutia, douglas, no defense
usf---lost trae williams, jenkins, moffit; offense is average; we put up 460 yds on them, but lost by 8 due to 6 turnovers
syracuse---one of worst teams in d-1a
uconn---average at best; one of the best d's in be and we put up 66
rugters---at home and we dont lose to them
cincy---at home, breakin in a new qb

we should win the be and contend for the nc; have 2 tough ooc games in auburn and @colorado

should have went undefeated last year, but playcalling held us back; got that fixed up

should be in the nc hunt again

USF has beaten you twice in a row right? And they still have Grothe so I think they have the only real shot IMO.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
USF has beaten you twice in a row right? And they still have Grothe so I think they have the only real shot IMO.

yea, i dont like grothe; he seems to make plays, but is prone to mistakes

only reason we lost is b/c of playcalling

we should win as we have a hc that lets his coaches actually coach and call plays

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
LOL, whats more relevant to a ND vs Miami argument then the head to head record? Oh thats right since it doesn't help your argument you want to avoid it all costs right?

The thug comments were more of a observation, you can't deny them can you? The athletic program is joke with all the brawls, arrests, and low acadmic standards.

Yes, Miami a sinking ship. You can quote me on this, Miami will be sub .500 again this year.

Um..What's relevant is what has taken place in the last 10-15 years. Not in the 1980's. The last time Miami and ND played as 20 years ago. How is even close to relevant to today? Keep living in the past tho buddy. The distant past at that.

lol, brawls, arrests and low academic standards. Really funny man. At least do some research. I guess our low academic standards are the reason Ali Highsmith and Dwayne Bowe didn'g get into school along with countless other recruits directly leading to lack of talent on the field. I guess our arrests must still be carring over form the 1980's as well as we have been among the cleanest programs as far as legal trouble goes over the past 7-8 years.

What makes you think Miami will be a sinking ship but that ND will be great? ND was worst last year, against a worse schedule and is losing just as many guys as Miami is. And please don't bring up your freshman again, Miami has just as good, if not better freshman coming in. Great logic on your part man.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:32 PM
yea, i dont like grothe; he seems to make plays, but is prone to mistakes

only reason we lost is b/c of playcalling

we should win as we have a hc that lets his coaches actually coach and call plays

There D was as fast as your O, they were stopping your O even before White got hurt. USF is a real danger to WVU IMO, they got a lot of NFl prospects on their team.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Um..What's relevant is what has taken place in the last 10-15 years. Not in the 1980's. The last time Miami and ND played as 20 years ago. How is even close to relevant to today? Keep living in the past tho buddy. The distant past at that.

lol, brawls, arrests and low academic standards. Really funny man. At least do some research. I guess our low academic standards are the reason Ali Highsmith and Dwayne Bowe didn'g get into school along with countless other recruits directly leading to lack of talent on the field. I guess our arrests must still be carring over form the 1980's as well as we have been among the cleanest programs as far as legal trouble goes over the past 7-8 years.

What makes you think Miami will be a sinking ship but that ND will be great? ND was worst last year, against a worse schedule and is losing just as many guys as Miami is. And please don't bring up your freshman again, Miami has just as good, if not better freshman coming in. Great logic on your part man.

Again how is the head to head record not relevant in a Miami vs ND arguement.

Come on, Thug U is thug U for a reason. I guess that Miami player trying to crack that FIU players skull open with a helmet was just a figment of my imagination.

ND had a worse schedule? ND had one of the toughest schedules last year including 9 bowl teams. Miami plays in the weakest conference in the nation, the ACC is universally seen as the worst of the six BCS conferences. We will be upgraded at almost all the positions this year and now have experience, I'm not predicting NC but we should be better. Miami like always will implode, they just have no heart.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:43 PM
There D was as fast as your O, they were stopping your O even before White got hurt. USF is a real danger to WVU IMO, they got a lot of NFl prospects on their team.

437 yds isnt really stopping our offense

it was turnovers

they only had 274 yds of offense

when we ran from the i it worked, but the former coach is stubborn and wouldnt adapt

things will be different this year

the staff has been upgraded at every single position coach

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Again how is the head to head record not relevant in a Miami vs ND arguement.

Come on, Thug U is thug U for a reason. I guess that Miami player trying to crack that FIU players skull open with a helmet was just a figment of my imagination.

ND had a worse schedule? ND had one of the toughest schedules last year including 9 bowl teams. Miami plays in the weakest conference in the nation, the ACC is universally seen as the worst of the six BCS conferences. We will be upgraded at almost all the positions this year and now have experience, I'm not predicting NC but we should be better. Miami like always will implode, they just have no heart.

Thug U Was created in the 1980's. Just like the last time Miami played ND. Like I said, keep living in the past. What happened 20 years ago is not relevant today.

The ACC is seen as one of the weakest conferences? Dude, do you live on Mars. The ACC is seen as 2nd to the SEC.

You know your lacking with real informative stuff to trash us with when all you can do is bring up the 1980's and the FIU brawl.

Go ahead, trash our past and 1 fight all you want. Fact of the matter is that we have produced better on the field then you over the past decade.

Tampa 2 4 life
04-20-2008, 09:52 PM
437 yds isnt really stopping our offense

it was turnovers

they only had 274 yds of offense

when we ran from the i it worked, but the former coach is stubborn and wouldnt adapt

things will be different this year

the staff has been upgraded at every single position coach

A: We run a cover 2, it's bend don't break. We bended, but we caused 7 Turnovers. I guess we didn't break.

B: We didn't gameplan you to run from the I, of course it would have worked. Had you switched over completely we would have adapted.

C: This will be Grothe's breakout year, because if he starts becoming a TO machine, He loses his job to the more efficient but less exciting Grant gregory.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Thug U Was created in the 1980's. Just like the last time Miami played ND. Like I said, keep living in the past. What happened 20 years ago is not relevant today.

The ACC is seen as one of the weakest conferences? Dude, do you live on Mars. The ACC is seen as 2nd to the SEC.

You know your lacking with real informative stuff to trash us with when all you can do is bring up the 1980's and the FIU brawl.

Go ahead, trash our past and 1 fight all you want. Fact of the matter is that we have produced better on the field then you over the past decade.

um, im gonna say no

sec, pac 10, big 12, big east/10, then acc

acc is a bunch of mediocre teams

Tampa 2 4 life
04-20-2008, 09:54 PM

LOL

1. SEC
2. Pac-10
3. Big 12
4. ACC/Big Ten
4.5: Big East

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:55 PM

I stopped reading when you said the ACC is second only to SEC, you now have no credibility. Pac 10 is also clearly better, as is the big 10, Big 12, and Big east. ACC is second best basketball conference, but for football its the absolute worst and everyone knows it.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 09:57 PM
yea, i mean when wake wins the conference thats bad

i mean, the offense was pathetic in that acc champ game; what was it, 9-3?

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 09:59 PM
ACC is not heavy on the top but there are tough games all up and down the ACC.

Outside of Duke, there are no real deadbeats. Any ACC team can turn into a top program in a heartbeat. Unlike the Big12 or Big East and Pac 10 that have a couple no hope programs.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 09:59 PM

I can't believe he even said it, its sommon knowledge the the ACC is a horrible football conference.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Outside of Duke, there are no real debeats. Any ACC team can turn into a top program in a heartbeat. Unlike the Big12 or Big East and Pac 10 that have a couple no hope programs.

lets go with the big east

wvu---top 5/10
usf---top 25
cincy---top 25
ul---bowl eligable
uconn---top 25
pitt---talent is there
syracuse---gimme
rugters---top 50

Hokie_Pokie08
04-20-2008, 10:06 PM

what does wake winning have to do with anything? grobe has turned that program around and they are going to continue to make noise as long as he stays there.

also god help the big east when someone other than wvu wins it. because if someone other than them wins it the conference must suck. see how that sounds?

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 10:06 PM

Outside of Duke, there are no real deadbeats. Any ACC team can turn into a top program in a heartbeat. Unlike the Big12 or Big East and Pac 10 that have a couple no hope programs.

No, just no. Any team can make a sudden turn around in any conference, just look at Kansas, Mizzou, USF and Rutgers. Look at conference vs conference records, ACC is at the bottom.

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 10:08 PM
what does wake winning have to do with anything? grobe has turned that program around and they are going to continue to make noise as long as he stays there.

also god help the big east when someone other than wvu wins it. because if someone other than them wins it the conference must suck. see how that sounds?

Do you honestly believe what joeyRJ said? Do you think the ACC is better then the big 12 or Pac 10?

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
No, just no. Any team can make a sudden turn around in any conference, just look at Kansas, Mizzou, USF and Rutgers. Look at conference vs conference records, ACC is at the bottom.

There's a difference between having a down patch and being a bad conference. Kansas, Mizzou, Rutgers and USF are just on the upswing but they are not powerhouse programs. They don't get the caliber of kids that ACC schools do.

Florida State, Miami are two of the top programs in the country that have hit on bad times but they are not gonna be that way forever. When they are at the peak, them plus, Virginia Tech, Boston College are one of the best foursomes in any conference. And the rest of it has some pretty good up and coming programs.

ACC is on a downpatch for sure but as a whole, there are much worse conferences.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
bc sucks; we used to beat them all the time

never won the big east, then all of a sudden they go to acc and are a powerhouse

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
There's a difference between having a down patch and being a bad conference. Kansas, Mizzou, Rutgers and USF are just on the upswing but they are not powerhouse programs. They don't get the caliber of kids that ACC schools do.

Florida State, Miami are two of the top programs in the country that have hit on bad times but they are not gonna be that way forever. When they are at the peak, them plus, Virginia Tech, Boston College are one of the best foursomes in any conference. And the rest of it has some pretty good up and coming programs.

ACC is on a downpatch for sure but as a whole, there are much worse conferences.

true i mean, there is the wac, mac, c-usa, mwc, sun belt

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 10:19 PM
bc sucks; we used to beat them all the time

never won the big east, then all of a sudden they go to acc and are a powerhouse

BC is like ND. 1 of only 2 D1 big time catholic school programs. That is a big draw. They are gonna get their fair share of kid to go there.

The rise of BC had nothing to do with the Big East or ACC. When ND started sucking, those kids started to head over to BC.

Joeyjr09
04-20-2008, 10:20 PM

true i mean, there is the wac, mac, c-usa, mwc, sun belt

Dude, are you serious. Up until the last 2 seasons, the Big East was the laughing stock of college football. There isn't a team in the Big East that can hang with Florida State or Miami when they are at their best.

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 10:21 PM
nd hasnt been that bad for long

bc has always sucked

kwilk103
04-20-2008, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=kwilk103;1021902]

Dude, are you serious. Up until the last 2 seasons, the Big East was the laughing stock of college football. There isn't a team in the Big East that can hang with Florida State or Miami when they are at their best.

um, when miami had the so-called best team ever wvu had them beat until winslow made a miracle catch on 4th-10

just admit the acc sucks big time

and fsu wont be good til bowdens gone---see psu

Axl Rose
04-20-2008, 10:24 PM

you can't measure the power of a conference on potential, potential sometimes isn't met. Army was a super power in football along time ago, should we say they are on a downpatch as well?

Kansas, Mizzou, Rutgers and USF may not get the 4 and 5 star kids that bigger schools do but they have over achieved with what they got. Together they have beaten Auburn, Virgina Tech, North Carolina, Illinois, ect.