PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Prospects

TheWood56
03-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Thought I'd make a thread for the players the Pittsburgh Steelers have either visited with already, or are scheduled to visit with in the up and coming weeks leading up to the draft. If anyone hears or reads anything, post it up in this thread and I'll continue to update and edit the list as the weeks go on. Here we go:

Offensive Line:

Branden Albert, OG/OT, Virginia
Mike Pollak, OC, Arizona St.
Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College (CONFIRMED)
Cody Wallace, OC, Texas A&M

Defensive Line:

Dre Moore, DL, Maryland (CONFIRMED)
Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton (CONFIRMED)
Keilen Dykes, DE, WVU (CONFIRMED)
Red Bryant, DL, Texas A&M (CONFIRMED)
Eric Foster, DL, Rutgers (CONFIRMED)

Linebackers:

Cliff Avril, OLB, Purdue (CONFIRMED)
Curtis Johnson, OLB, Clark-Atlanta
Marcus Howard, OLB, Georgia (CONFIRMED)
Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn (CONFIRMED)
Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee (CONFIRMED)
Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan (CONFIRMED)
Bryan Smith, OLB, McNeese State (CONFIRMED)

Defensive Backs:

Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas (CONFIRMED)
Justin King, CB, Penn St.
Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU (CONFIRMED)
Orlando Scandrick, CB, Boise St.
Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana (CONFIRMED)
Ryan Mundy, DB, WVU (CONFIRMED)

Skill Positions:

Mario Urrutia, WR, Louisville
Ryan Torain, RB, Arizona St. (CONFIRMED)
Brandon McAnderson, RB, Kansas (CONFIRMED)
Jehuu Caulcrick, RB, Michigan St. (CONFIRMED)
Dennis Dixon, QB, Oregon (CONFIRMED)
Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma (CONFIRMED)
Matt Slater, KR, UCLA (CONFIRMED)
Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon (CONFIRMED)
Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina (CONFIRMED)

Hines
03-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Looks like a nice list. I sure dont want to waste a first rounder on Justin King though.

TheWood56
03-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Looks like a nice list. I sure dont want to waste a first rounder on Justin King though.

Yeah, it does look like a nice list, and they're all players we've spoken about before also. And about Justin King, I totally hear you with that. He's not a 1st rounder and shouldn't be selected in the 1st round. I really hope some team pulls the trigger on him fairly early and pushes another player down to us.

mikehop05
03-24-2008, 10:57 PM
thanks for the list

and i love all the players on there except the CB's

TheWood56
03-24-2008, 11:03 PM
thanks for the list

It's cool.

Should I list the positions they played in college, or the positions they're projected to play for us? Like for example, obviously Quentin Groves would strictly be an OLB, not a DE, as would Curtis Johnson.

Actually, I think I'll just do that. :)

Hines
03-24-2008, 11:06 PM
I think Talib will bust more then King, IMO.

TheWood56
03-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Anyone see Justing King as maybe a Ricardo Colclough type?

brat316
03-24-2008, 11:28 PM
I don;t know if we were planning on getting zone cbs I would think we would take a look at Flowers. I see Talib is up there but I'm not a fan of him.

Does anyone know what guys came in last year for a visit

Hines
03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
These are just visits. Who knows if we are actually looking to draft them.

TheWood56
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Talking about CB's, I really hope we bring both Cason and Flowers in for a visit and have a closer look at them. If CB was a position we were going to address early in the draft, I'd be very happy if we came away with either Cason or Flowers. Obviously Cason in the 1st, or Flowers in the 2nd.

TheWood56
03-24-2008, 11:49 PM
These are just visits. Who knows if we are actually looking to draft them.

This is true. Who knows what the Steelers are planning to do come draft day, and no body really knows how interested the Steelers really are in these players.

Hines
03-24-2008, 11:56 PM
I wouldnt be suprised to see a player we didnt bring in for an interview get drafted by us.

brat316
03-24-2008, 11:57 PM
I think that happens alot when you do BPA

TheWood56
03-25-2008, 12:10 AM
I wouldnt be suprised to see a player we didnt bring in for an interview get drafted by us.

If you're talking early in the draft, I think our track record says otherwise though. I'm pretty sure since Colbert's been here, we've never drafted someone in the 1st, maybe even 2nd round aswell who hasn't had a scheduled visit with us. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere, and I'm 99% sure it was 1st round, and as I said, it may have been 2nd round aswell.

Mr. Stiller
03-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Anyone think of Talib as a FS?

Thats where I think the Steelers are.

brat316
03-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Really Talib a FS i just don't see him as that hitter type, or Blitz guy. I see Flowers as a better move to FS then Talib

Mr. Stiller
03-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Really Talib a FS i just don't see him as that hitter type, or Blitz guy. I see Flowers as a better move to FS then Talib

Talib doesn't have the hips to stay a CB in the pro's

He does have the straightline and explosion to chase a ball down. You don't have to be a big hitter to be a FS. I don't think of Ed Reed as a big hitter.

In fact very few FS's are big hitters. More of the big hitters are SS's.

Hines
03-25-2008, 04:20 AM
I think either team that selects him will somehow move him there someway or another IMO. I think he loses the ball too much in the air for a corner. He has great ball skills, but gets beat a lot and loses track of the ball and his man. I think he will do great with just playing a deep half of the field and just reacting to the ball and letting his great hands, and playmaking ability happen. I could see him as a All Pro FS at one point in his career IMO.

TheWood56
03-25-2008, 04:41 AM
I don't know if I'd call Reed a "big hitter" either, though I reckon Reed can lay the wood when he wants to. I've seen him lay a few people out over the past couple of seasons. Though I agree that there aren't really that many big hitting FS's in the league, as the majority of big hitters are usually SS's. I agree with both Stiller and Hines aswell, as I think Talib maybe more suited to play FS then CB at the next level.

TheWood56
03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
We've scheduled a visit with Louisville WR Mario Urrutia.

Jakey
03-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Where you getting all this info from brother???

TheWood56
03-25-2008, 08:40 AM

Can't really say, as I'm just kind of surfing the net and looking at different sites and stuff. I got a couple of names from SCI though.

Hines
03-25-2008, 09:49 AM
We've scheduled a visit with Louisville WR Mario Urrutia.

I would take a flyer on him in the late rounds.

DeathbyStat
03-25-2008, 11:45 AM

I feel like I post this every day...but I still totally agree.

DeathbyStat
03-25-2008, 11:46 AM
thanks for the list

I actually like Cason the best is anyone with me on that?

Hines
03-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I actually like Cason the best is anyone with me on that?

I completely agree. I see him as an Ike Taylor with 10000000000000xs better the hands. We could use that playmaker in our secondary. But, if Hardy is on the board, with Cason, I think we would chose Hardy.

But as of now, I dont see Albert falling to us really. I think Otah slips to late first now, possibly to the Chargers, and Albert going to the Texans at 19. Who knows though.

mikehop05
03-25-2008, 12:25 PM
im personally a leodis fan but for our draft range i like cason and maybe flowers

mikehop05
03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
too add to the list of people who visited the steelers:

Arizona State running back Ryan Torain, Michigan outside linebacker Shawn Cable - via ppg

also we had in anthony mcfarland for a visit

DeathbyStat
03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
im personally a leodis fan but for our draft range i like cason and maybe flowers

I see alot of Ike Taylor in leodis, (I think Mr Stiller brought this up too don't quote me on that.) but he seems to have great speed and every thing you could love in a corner but his ball skills are awfull.

DeathbyStat
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Arizona State running back Ryan Torain, Michigan outside linebacker Shawn Cable - via ppg

We had Booger in...or am I thinking of a different guy?

Hines
03-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Beat me too it, I was just about to post it.

TheWood56
03-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah, it's Booger, and we also scheduled a visit with Iowa CB Charles Godfrey.

Hines
03-26-2008, 02:22 AM
Godfrey is a guy I like a lot. With the addition of Booger, I wonder how we will press the need of dline.

TheWood56
03-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Godfrey is a guy I like a lot. With the addition of Booger, I wonder how we will press the need of dline.

Yeah, Godfrey's a guy that intrigues me aswell. Also, with the signing of Booger, I don't think it changes our approach to the draft or the DL all that much. I still think we'll target a DE in the early-mid rounds of the draft. I'm personally hoping for Kendall Langford in the 3rd if he's still available.

CDub
03-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Is it just me or is there a lot of defensive players on that list?

Makes me think the staff is pretty happy with our current offense but if you ask me we could use upgrades at WR and OL. But after that, yea why not get younger on D

mikehop05
03-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Is it just me or is there a lot of defensive players on that list?

Makes me think the staff is pretty happy with our current offense but if you ask me we could use upgrades at WR and OL. But after that, yea why not get younger on D

yeah i noticed that as well, though i would argue that our defense may need the most help in the draft as they are probably collectively the oldest group

brat316
03-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Pat McAfee K from WV meet with Tomlin

brat316
03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
C Mike Pollack will be visiting with the Steelers

Cb- Antoine Cason will visit with the Steelers/interview

mikehop05
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM

good stuff, where did you hear that?

brat316
03-26-2008, 04:13 PM
same thing random website surfing uhh... TFYDraft

Shere Khan
03-26-2008, 04:20 PM

New Era Scouting has a section of their page where it shows a list of the players the teams were reported to be interested in.

brat316
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
it just list players of interest not interviewed or workouts

CDub
03-26-2008, 04:45 PM
yeah i noticed that as well, though i would argue that our defense may need the most help in the draft as they are probably collectively the oldest group

Yea the D is definitely the older of the two groups. Batch and Ward are the only two offensive players currently at/over 30 while we have seven players on D who are currently at/over 30.

So yea getting younger on D is certainly a good idea it's just that the two offensive areas that I think we need an upgrade at are two key areas - WR/OL - and I think the addition of Hartwig gives us the flexibilty to choose the BPA on offense in rd 1, be it Albert or one of the recievers - Sweed/Kelly/Hardy - I'd be happy with any one of those four picks. Then we can look to add depth and youth on D - just as long as we take care of whichever offensive position we don't draft in the 1st by the 3rd or 4th.

mikehop05
03-26-2008, 07:13 PM
mike tomlin was at lsu's pro day...

who do you think he was looking at?

personally i hope... doucet (2nd round)
hester (possible 5th or 6th)
or jackson (4 - 6)

Hines
03-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I compare Doucet to Hines. Not the fastest, but has all the skills to put up similar numbers.

mikehop05
03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
I compare Doucet to Hines. Not the fastest, but has all the skills to put up similar numbers.

yeah i make the same comparison

i think... idk... i wouldnt mind him in the second...though hes not a tall wr... he would be perfect for taking over for ward in a couple of years

Hines
03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I would love to have Doucet in round 2. Last year, he played behind two first rounders and still had better numbers then them. While he was injured last season, he had a good year. I think his injury is still lingering though.

mikehop05
03-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I would love to have Doucet in round 2. Last year, he played behind two first rounders and still had better numbers then them. While he was injured last season, he had a good year. I think his injury is still lingering though.

id love to see ben's face when he finds oout we drafted another 6ft guy haha

fenikz
03-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Cardinals signed Haggans to a one year deal, just wanted your guy's opinions of him, is he an adequate back up/rotational guy?

Hines
03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Cardinals signed Haggans to a one year deal, just wanted your guy's opinions of him, is he an adequate back up/rotational guy?

He did a whole lot better as a reserve and coming off the bench. As a starter, he was decent, but not as good as he was starting. He would provide good depth.

TheWood56
03-26-2008, 11:23 PM

Very good news regarding Cason, as I really like him.

Pollak was already on the list, but thanks for posting anyways. :)

Mr. Stiller
03-26-2008, 11:53 PM

Doucet is Garbage.

The reason we can compare him to hines is, he's where 34-year-old WR hines is.. Bad Knees, can't stay healthy, and is slowing down.

Give me Nelson, Burton, Royal, Arthur, Johnson, Earl Bennett.

Jordy Nelson is the bigger (2 Inches, 17lbs), faster (.18), Stronger version of Hines Ward.

Mr. Stiller
03-26-2008, 11:55 PM

I think he'll be very very consistent as a rotational guy. He has experience in the 3-4 that Whisenhunt will likely have implemented.

Clark as a starter was a guy that would give you just below pro-bowl level production on the field... until week 4 when it was a steep decline.

Don't expect great coverage or passrushing, as he's more of a run around the RT type.

Mr. Stiller
03-26-2008, 11:59 PM
mike tomlin was at lsu's pro day...

who do you think he was looking at?

personally i hope... doucet (2nd round)
hester (possible 5th or 6th)
or jackson (4 - 6)

I'm guessing:

Ali Highsmith ( 5-7) LB Depth
Chevis Jackson (4-6) FS Depth
Jon Zenon ( 6-UDFA) DB Depth.
Jacob Hester (5th-6th) RB depth/St's.

Carnell Stewart, UDFA RT/RG.

Kirston Pittman UDFA DE/OLB

Jakey
03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
The Steelers entertained five more college football prospects today as they continue their homework for next month's draft.

Those visiting the coaches and scouts at their facility were Boston College offensive tackle Gosder Chrilus, Texas A&M defensive lineman Red Bryant, Kansas fullback Brandon McAnderson, Michigan State running back Jehuu Caulcrick and Hampton defensive end Kendall Langford.

Each NFL team can have as many as 30 draft prospects visit their site before the draft.

via Post Gazette

DeathbyStat
03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
via Post Gazette

Wow I think the people on these boards have done a fine job in idenifying the people that fit our team the best.

mikehop05
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Wow I think the people on these boards have done a fine job in idenifying the people that fit our team the best.

yeah i agree i think everyone so far that has visited has been in at least 2 peoples mocks

TheWood56
03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Well, with the updated list now, we currently have 20 scheduled visits, which obviously means we only have 10 scheduled visits left.

I have to say, the list looks pretty good IMO, and I'm pretty sure every single player on that list we've either spoken about, or has appeared in someones mock draft, which is good to see IMO, as it seems as though we've identified some of the prospects the Steelers may be looking at.

TheWood56
03-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Can anyone confirm if Carlton Powell has scheduled a visit with us? Because I remember reading somewhere that the Steelers were interested in him, and I can't remember if they said anything about a scheduled visit or not, or if they just stated that the Steelers were interested in him and left it at that.

TheWood56
03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I heard we worked out Georgia OLB Marcus Howard.

Jakey
03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I heard we worked out Georgia OLB Marcus Howard.

Thats good news...him and Woodley coming off the edge would be awesome. I know Harrison had a pro-bowl season and all, but i still believe he could be upgraded...and ideally moved inside.

To be honest though, i kinda prefer Bruce Davis...he should be available in round 3 aswell.

TheWood56
03-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Thats good news...him and Woodley coming off the edge would be awesome. I know Harrison had a pro-bowl season and all, but i still believe he could be upgraded...and ideally moved inside.

To be honest though, i kinda prefer Bruce Davis...he should be available in round 3 aswell.

I think Harrison would make a beastly ILB, and if we had another edge rusher who we could pair up with Woodley, I'd be all for Harrison shifting inside and pairing up with Timmons.

Hines
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I really dont think Harrison moves inside.

TheWood56
03-29-2008, 02:09 AM
I really dont think Harrison moves inside.

I can't really see it either, though if we had another edge rusher on the roster who we could pair up with Woodley, I'd love to see Harrison shifted inside and play along side Timmons.

Hines
03-29-2008, 11:19 AM
I can't really see it either, though if we had another edge rusher on the roster who we could pair up with Woodley, I'd love to see Harrison shifted inside and play along side Timmons.

Well yeah, but even then I dont see it happening. Harrison is in his 30s coming up. He wont be able to play at a high level anymore. I give him maybe one or two more years at a high level and he is a role player at best.

skarocksoi
03-29-2008, 09:23 PM
So does anybody think we brought in some guys as a smokescreen or something of that nature? I doubt it, but who knows.

TheWood56
03-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Well yeah, but even then I dont see it happening. Harrison is in his 30s coming up. He wont be able to play at a high level anymore. I give him maybe one or two more years at a high level and he is a role player at best.

As I said, I don't see it happening either, I was just saying I would like to see that happen. Harrison is heading into his 30's, but it's not like he has a lot of wear and tear on his body though. He hasn't been playing for all that long, and has never really gotten much game time either, so I could see him playing at a reasonably high level for at least the next 2 years. He looks like he's in great shape, and despite having somewhat of an injury history, I think he has a couple more good years left at least, and I really think if we had another young, stud edge rusher who we could pair up with Woodley, I think Harrison would be a beastly ILB, not saying we would do it, I just think it would be a good idea. He's very strong and physical, is great getting off of blockers, and is great against the run also. I think if he was paired up with Timmons on the inside, they could really cause some havoc together, and just imagine Harrison blitzing from the inside also. Timmons could be our versatile, sideline-to-sideline, playmaking cover guy in the middle, where as Harrison could be our physical thumper in the middle. I could see them complimenting each other very nicely.

TheWood56
03-29-2008, 10:33 PM
So does anybody think we brought in some guys as a smokescreen or something of that nature? I doubt it, but who knows.

I certainly think that's a possibility, and I'm sure every team does it. They'll bring in a few guy or a few guys at a certain position to throw other teams off, and just to throw a spanner in the works.

Mr. Stiller
03-29-2008, 10:56 PM

I think Jeremy Thompson is better. I'm not just a #'s guy, but he's extremely explosive.

His #'s blow away Bruce Davis, and Even some of Porters.

Joey Porter (Jeremy Thompson):

Ht: 6'2 4/8" ( 6' 4 3/8")
Wt: 241lbs (265lbs)
40: 4.68 (4.75)
20: 2.70 (2.69)
10: 1.63 (1.53)

Reps: 27 (25)
Vert: 39" (32") ** There was a error in measurements at the 2008 combine.
Broad 10ft 4inches (9ft, 9inches)

Short Shuttle: 4.41 (4.23)
3-Cone: 7.31 (6.97)

I think Thompson could be a killer OLB.

Give him 2-3 years behind Harrison. His speed off the edge.. mixed with his power..

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Meet with Bernard Morris QB or were at his pro day

mikehop05
04-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Meet with Bernard Morris QB or were at his pro day

not sure what you are trying to say / ask, but we met with Morris at his pro day

TheWood56
04-04-2008, 02:56 AM
Chevis Jackson, Eric Foster, and Orlando Scandrick added to the list.

Jakey
04-04-2008, 03:51 AM
^ Nice, i like all 3 of them!

TheWood56
04-04-2008, 09:03 AM
^ Nice, i like all 3 of them!

How about Tracy Porter? Because I've just added him to the list aswell. :cool:

Jakey
04-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Ye i like Tracy Porter too...he's a baller, but he scored really bad on the wonderlic. Thats his only downside really!

bigsmooth51
04-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I hope we look at this kid from Nevada, he seems to be exactly what we need. Maybe third rd.

ryanrayne
04-07-2008, 05:50 PM
More draft prospects visit Steelers
Monday, April 07, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Two more college prospects paid visits to the Steelers today: quarterback Dennis Dixon of Oregon and linebacker Quentin Groves of Auburn.

DeathbyStat
04-07-2008, 06:00 PM
More draft prospects visit Steelers
Monday, April 07, 2008
Two more college prospects paid visits to the Steelers today: quarterback Dennis Dixon of Oregon and linebacker Quentin Groves of Auburn.

Is this Grove's second visit?

Dixon might be a neat utility pick up in the 6th.

Hines
04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I guess if Groves is there at 23, he will be the pick since this is his second visit.

mikehop05
04-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I guess if Groves is there at 23, he will be the pick since this is his second visit.

right now i would say thats a pretty good bet

TheWood56
04-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Pretty sure this will only be Groves first visit. He's been scheduled to visit for a while now, and I'm pretty sure this is his first scheduled visit with us.

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Malcolm Kelly added to the list.

Hines
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Malcolm Kelly added to the list.

Nice, maybe smoakscrean, but I read that the Bengals were interested in him at 9.

ryanrayne
04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
4 prospects visit Steelers
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Four more college prospects paid visits to the Steelers today: linebacker Bryan Smith of McNees State, cornerback Tracy Porter of Indiana, kick returner Matthew Slater of UCLA who is the son of former NFL tackle and Hall of Famer Jackie Slater, and defensive back Ryan Mundy of West Virgina.

First published on April 8, 2008 at 12:09 pm

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm not sure if all these are confirmed, so I'll go through the list and write confirmed next to the players that I know are confirmed visits.

TheWood56
04-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Jonathan Stewart and Chris Johnson are scheduled to visit.

Hines
04-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Jonathan Stewart and Chris Johnson are scheduled to visit.

Ah Chris Johnson would be a nice slot reciever.

TheWood56
04-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Whole list is updated. Have a look through it. I had to remove Antoine Cason from the list unfortunately because I haven't seen anywhere that he'll be visiting the Steelers.

brat316
04-09-2008, 12:29 AM
J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Arizona CB Antoine Cason is receiving a good deal of interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

can't find the other link

http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

if you want to run through the list

TheWood56
04-09-2008, 01:23 AM
J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Arizona CB Antoine Cason is receiving a good deal of interest from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

can't find the other link

http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl

if you want to run through the list

Thanks, but I can't find anywhere that says he had or has a scheduled visit with us. I heard we're apparently interested, but I've heard nothing about a scheduled visit unfortunately.

Did you check out the list? It looks much better now IMO.

mikehop05
04-09-2008, 01:26 AM
i enjoy the new list

TheWood56
04-09-2008, 01:44 AM
i enjoy the new list

I'm glad you enjoy the new list Mike. :D

mikehop05
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08101/872153-66.stm

j-stew
chris johnson
orlando scandrick

all visited today

steelernation77
04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08101/872153-66.stm

j-stew
chris johnson
orlando scandrick

all visited today

Scandrick really interests me. I think he could be a great pick up in the late 3rd.

mikehop05
04-11-2008, 01:10 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08102/872467-66.stm

add:
Malcolm Kelly
Brandon Albert
James Hardy
Charles Godfrey

to the list

Strongside
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Met with 6-5 Mario Urrutia

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08105/873221-66.stm

i.want.troys.hair
04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Add Jason Jones, DE and Phillip Wheeler, ILB to the list. More linebackers, huh?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_562697.html

DeathbyStat
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Add Jason Jones, DE and Phillip Wheeler, ILB to the list. More linebackers, huh?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_562697.html

I Wheeler on the inside....i have no love for Jones he looks really stiff in coverage

Jakey
04-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I have no love for Jones he looks really stiff in coverage

Thats because he is really raw...he's a b'ball player, so he should have the athletisism to make the transition.

Hines
04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Jason Jones would play DE in our scheme. Yes he is only about 275, but I think he could bulk up a bit and play the Keisel type role.

Jakey
04-16-2008, 03:13 PM
I dunno man...i reckon he is around the 265 mark...same weight as Woodley. He is one of the more athletic ends in the draft...but he would definately need some time to make the transition.

Hines
04-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I dunno man...i reckon he is around the 265 mark...same weight as Woodley. He is one of the more athletic ends in the draft...but he would definately need some time to make the transition.

He weighed in at about 275 at the combine, I doubt he lost any of that. He is a DE in the 34.

steelernation77
04-16-2008, 03:45 PM
He weighed in at about 275 at the combine, I doubt he lost any of that. He is a DE in the 34.

Do we really want someone playing the "Keisel type role?"

Keisel is around 280 and gets pushed around. I'd rather see someone more Aaron Smith sized (around 300lbs.), that could be stout at the point and collapse pockets.

Jakey
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah...i would prefer someone more stout at the POA...Jones benched 18 times at the combine...to put it in perspective, Lawrence Timmons beched 25 times, and Woodley 29. (although that is beastly for a LB!).

Strongside
04-16-2008, 04:01 PM
woops nevermind

Hines
04-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Do we really want someone playing the "Keisel type role?"

Keisel is around 280 and gets pushed around. I'd rather see someone more Aaron Smith sized (around 300lbs.), that could be stout at the point and collapse pockets.

Actually, I would. I think Jones is better then Keisel or would be anyways. Keisel is a pass rusher, but never got to the quarterback to sack him. Jones is a run stopper, but could rush the passer as well. He is a better overall athlete and I think we could use him to move around a lot and be a disguise. I think he will be able to put on at least 10 pounds which will put him at about 285, which isnt great, but it isnt bad.

steelernation77
04-17-2008, 12:56 PM
CB Mike Jenkins and WR Jerome Simpson visited today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08108/874279-66.stm

Hines
04-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Jerome in the third would be nice. I dont think Jenkins would fall to us though.

brat316
04-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Simpson is going to be that small school guy his hands are 11 inches.

mikehop05
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Simpson is going to be that small school guy his hands are 11 inches.

and you know what they say about guys with big hands...

mikehop05
04-17-2008, 02:09 PM
CB Mike Jenkins and WR Jerome Simpson visited today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08108/874279-66.stm

arnt we over 30 prospects now?

am i missing something... ?

Strongside
04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
and you know what they say about guys with big hands...

Big gloves?

I would love to get Jenkins, but he won't be there, especially with Dallas right ahead of us.

mikehop05
04-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Big gloves?

I would love to get Jenkins, but he won't be there, especially with Dallas right ahead of us.

Exactly.

and yeah i doubt jenkins falls, though I would enjoy the pick if he did.

gunners2020
04-17-2008, 05:04 PM
arnt we over 30 prospects now?

am i missing something... ?

We can bring in an unlimited number of local prospects, these don't count against the 30 player limit

Mr. Stiller
04-20-2008, 02:17 AM
We can bring in an unlimited number of local prospects, these don't count against the 30 player limit

I Think only Duquesne and Pitt count under that as WVU and PSU are merely 2-3 miles outside of the accepted "range"

steelernation77
04-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I Think only Duquesne and Pitt count under that as WVU and PSU are merely 2-3 miles outside of the accepted "range"

IUP probably counts as well.

I hope we bring in Bruce Hocker.