PDA

View Full Version : State of the Scouting Reports

Scott Wright
03-24-2008, 11:35 PM
I Just took stock of where I am with the scouting reports and by my count I have 133 left to go. Needless to say it's going to be TOUGH to knock those all out by April 1st but I am going to give it the old college try. Worst-case they will be done within the first week of April.

I trimmed a few guys out of the rankings who I didn't feel were going to be drafted (sorry Rutgers people but Ron Girault was one of them) but once they are all done I should have about 417 players in the database, each with a scouting report. That is about the same number I had last year and I will probably add a player or two here and there throughout the final weeks. That means I will have more than 150 more players in my database with scouting reports then will even be drafted!!! Obviously there are others who are worthy of inclusion but there is only so much time and I am only one man...

Anyway, that is where we are. Once these scouting reports are all done I will be free to conduct all of the player interviews I have set up, refine the rankings, update the mock draft at least once a week, etc. In other words the fun stuff!

Staubach12
03-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Sweet. Good to see that they'll all be here soon. Fantastic job, Scott.

Cashmoney
03-24-2008, 11:39 PM
You are a God amongst mere mortals.

brat316
03-24-2008, 11:39 PM
YES MORE REPORTS i shall try and read as many as i can. For no reason what so ever other than improve my knowledge of these players.

Scott Wright
03-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Good to see that they'll all be here soon.

You're not the only one!

To say I am burnt out on these things would be the understatement of the century.

I swear when these things are done Pacman and I are going to go out and celebrate.

i.e. Make It Rain

BigJohn98
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Maybe you can have people help with the scouting reports so it goes by faster?

Cashmoney
03-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Maybe you can have people help with the scouting reports so it goes by faster?

Then it wouldn't be Scott Wright's NFL Draft Countdown anymore would it? :)

Geo
03-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Excellent work, Scott.

Although I like RB Omar Cuff of Delaware, just sayin'. ;)

I trimmed a few guys out of the rankings who I didn't feel were going to be drafted (sorry Rutgers people but Ron Girault was one of them)
scottyboy, stay with us, old sport.

Matthew Jones
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Do you think you might be able to put together one for CB Terrell Thomas sometime soon, Scott? He's one of my most anticipated ones!

scottyboy
03-25-2008, 08:43 AM
but....but...what.... no....Ron Girault....but.... but...Scott...:(

That's ok, I'll right one myself! :)

He's the best safety ever to play since Ronnie Lott.

Staubach12
03-25-2008, 12:15 PM
You're not the only one!

To say I am burnt out on these things would be the understatement of the century.

I swear when these things are done Pacman and I are going to go out and celebrate.

i.e. Make It Rain

Awesome. I'll be there.

princefielder28
03-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Props Scott! One of a kind

Jonny
03-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Heh, I don't care about Girault. But he reportedly is going to run a sub 4.4 tomorrow. Still don't think he's much of a player, but that could get him back on the NFL's radar.

Thunder&Lightning
03-25-2008, 01:03 PM
You are a God amongst mere mortals.

couldnt have been said better.

DawgBone
03-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Another reason this draft site gets such rave reviews. I think a great compliment to Scott would be that once people discover this site they seem to allways come back.

Thanks bud, fun as allways.

QUETION - Are the scouting reports youve done in past years still internet accessable? If so how can I track them down?

jnew76
03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Nice work Scott... I see that the Jalen Parmele - RB - Toledo - scouting report has been up for a while and I also noticed that the he has risen even further in your rankings to #17 after debuting at #25!!! I might be the only one that thinks he is one of the best RBs in the draft, but it is good to see him moving up the draft boards.

While April 1rst might not happen, your work is outstanding and appreciated. Just don't get yourself shot hangin with Pacman.

Scott Wright
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Nice work Scott... I see that the Jalen Parmele - RB - Toledo - scouting report has been up for a while and I also noticed that the he has risen even further in your rankings to #17 after debuting at #25!!! I might be the only one that thinks he is one of the best RBs in the draft, but it is good to see him moving up the draft boards.

While April 1rst might not happen, your work is outstanding and appreciated. Just don't get yourself shot hangin with Pacman.

Parmele is a real interesting guy and could be a nice late round find for someone.

Addict
03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
hey Scott, are you going to reconsider certain workout guys (maybe chris long?), because as of now D-Mac is the only one with an 'elite prospect' level...

03-25-2008, 04:27 PM
You're not the only one!

i.e. Make It Rain

Scott you're so funny. :) Can't wait to see the scouting reports of a few more small school QBs like O'Connell.

Scott Wright
03-25-2008, 04:44 PM
hey Scott, are you going to reconsider certain workout guys (maybe chris long?), because as of now D-Mac is the only one with an 'elite prospect' level...

I don't foresee anyone getting that elusive fifth star right now.

The only one who would really even be in the running is Jake Long.

Bradyjackson12
03-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Thank you Scott for your great job! Maybe a little suggestion for new players, I didn't find him on your rankings but Chad Graham from Michigan has reportedly had a great pro day and I think he could be an interesting late round prospect even if he's small.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/03/21/risers.sliders/index.html

Also I was asking myseld if we can find somewhere your old scouting report from past years.

BaLLiN
03-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Its okay scott, youll get them done sometime, your the man

bored of education
03-25-2008, 06:35 PM
such a slacker!

etk
03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
133 rankings in a couple weeks....400+....BEAST.

You're not the only last-minute worker Scott...

BaLLiN
03-25-2008, 09:48 PM
133 rankings in a couple weeks....400+....BEAST.

You're not the only last-minute worker Scott...

yea really thats crazy, how many hours of gametape do you watch a day?

Flyboy
03-25-2008, 10:41 PM
You're not the only one!

i.e. Make It Rain

That was f'n fantastic.

Addict
03-29-2008, 08:23 AM
http://www.chrisflyer.net/images/make_it_rain.jpg

ain't no party like a rainmakin' party

Scott Wright
03-30-2008, 04:14 AM
Just an update...

Right now I have 76 scouting reports left to do. A couple of positions are already done and everybody who was at the Combine (excluding Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith) is finished. I won't be doing Kelly or Smith until after they work out on April 9 so for the time being I essentially have 74 left to do.

If all goes well I should finish at some point on April 1.

And then you know what time it is...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1382/617891442_fb2ec423a8.jpg

BamaFalcon59
03-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't foresee anyone getting that elusive fifth star right now.

The only one who would really even be in the running is Jake Long.

Scott, according to most, including myself, Glenn Dorsey is the best defensive tackle prospect in at least ten years, the last guy on par with him being Warren Sapp. If that does not constitute an 'elite' defensive tackle prospect I do not know what does. Where as McFadden has two players in the past two years who are right near him and probably better prospects according to most. Joe Thomas, D'Brickshaw Furguson, and Robert Gallery were all as good if not better prospects than Jake Long. Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, and Courtney Brown for Chris Long.

I could still understand some of them being elite, I am a huge fan of all of them, but to me a prospect is judged on how he compares to other prospects at his position. And Glenn Dorsey is most likely a better defensive tackle than Darren McFadden is runningback, Chris Long is defensive end, or Jake Long as a offensive tackle.

marks01234
03-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Any chance you could leave the scouting reports up this year?

I wish I could look back now at some of the previous scouting reports.

Smokey Joe
03-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Any chance you could leave the scouting reports up this year?

I wish I could look back now at some of the previous scouting reports.

http://www.archive.org/index.php

go here, type in www.nfldraftcountdown.com, and then a list of dates pop up. Click on the date, it will send you back to nfldc.com how it was on that date, then you can click scouting reports and see the old scouting reports.

It's a bit slow though, so you have to be patient.

etk
03-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Great job on Kenny Phillips' report. His 2 biggest weaknesses are playing high and struggling with blockers and you nailed those.

Scott Wright
03-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Scott, according to most, including myself, Glenn Dorsey is the best defensive tackle prospect in at least ten years, the last guy on par with him being Warren Sapp. If that does not constitute an 'elite' defensive tackle prospect I do not know what does. Where as McFadden has two players in the past two years who are right near him and probably better prospects according to most. Joe Thomas, D'Brickshaw Furguson, and Robert Gallery were all as good if not better prospects than Jake Long. Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, and Courtney Brown for Chris Long.

I could still understand some of them being elite, I am a huge fan of all of them, but to me a prospect is judged on how he compares to other prospects at his position. And Glenn Dorsey is most likely a better defensive tackle than Darren McFadden is runningback, Chris Long is defensive end, or Jake Long as a offensive tackle.

I just have concerns about Dorsey's durability. Granted the injuries didn't cause him to miss time in college but still... When I hand out that "elite" label it means I can envision that player being one of the very best at his position in the NFL, like with Adrian Peterson and Joe Thomas a year ago. I just don't think I can comfortably say that with Glenn Dorsey. Beyond the durability I see him as somewhat of a 'tweener. Not a true impact pass rusher and sack artist in the middle and not a stud run stuffer either. I obviously think he can be very good which is why I have him ranked as high as I do but I don't think I see "elite" from him.

scottyboy
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
you know you just wanna slap that 5 star rating on Ray Rice, Scott. I mean Mr. Wright. I mean your highness, supreme ruler.

neko4
03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
you know you just wanna slap that 5 star rating on Ray Rice, Scott. I mean Mr. Wright. I mean your highness, supreme ruler.
Who's gonna be your new Leonard/Rice next year?
Courtney Greene
Mike Teal?

Scott Wright
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
All right, as of Monday, March 31st at 8am central I have 45 scouting reports left to do. So the plan is to knock out 15 Monday, 15 Tuesday and 15 Wednesday, which has be totally finished on April 2nd. Then on April 3rd the fun will begin!

holt_bruce81
03-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Love the Pig Brown scouting report.

If he wasn't injured, where do you think he would of been projected at? I hope the Rams get him in say the 7th round!

Scott Wright
03-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Love the Pig Brown scouting report.

If he wasn't injured, where do you think he would of been projected at? I hope the Rams get him in say the 7th round!

If not for the injury I think he may have been a 4th or 5th rounder.

holt_bruce81
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Scott what are your thoughts on Lorenzo Williams DT for Mizzou? I didn't see him on your DTs rankings and was kind of surprised, i think he has a chance to be a late round selection. his pro day numbers were solid measuring in at 6'0 295 pounds running a 4.87 40, 30.5 vertical 8'9 broad and 29 reps at 225.

He's a great leader and has a great motor, helped Missouri hold Mcfadden and Felix in check during the Cotton Bowl.

Scott Wright
04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
As of 8:15am on Wednesday, April 2nd I have 14 scouting reports left to go, and more than half of those are kicks and punters. I should finish them tonight and then the fun stuff starts on Thursday!

BTW, as far as Williams goes I don't see him as a draftable prospect.

D-Rod
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
I just have concerns about Dorsey's durability. Granted the injuries didn't cause him to miss time in college but still... When I hand out that "elite" label it means I can envision that player being one of the very best at his position in the NFL, like with Adrian Peterson and Joe Thomas a year ago. I just don't think I can comfortably say that with Glenn Dorsey. Beyond the durability I see him as somewhat of a 'tweener. Not a true impact pass rusher and sack artist in the middle and not a stud run stuffer either. I obviously think he can be very good which is why I have him ranked as high as I do but I don't think I see "elite" from him.

I don't think that it's really fair to hold the injuries against him. If anything, the fact that he missed so little time in college should be a positive. If Peterson, with his history of injuries, is rated elite, then Dorsey should not be docked elite status for supposed lack of durability.

On being a tweener, you might be right. I'd agree that Dorsey is neither quite the stud pass-rusher that Sapp was at his peak, nor a top-5 in the league run stuffer. However, in my view, it is his balance that makes him so elite. He can consistently rush the passer from the NT position, and more than hold his ground against the run from the UT position.

I'd be impressed if you can think of 5 defensive tackles in the league who are as good at pass-rushing as Dorsey AND as good at stuffing the run as Dorsey, and do so consistently. Kevin Williams. Haynesworth, for one year. Harris. Maybe Henderson and Stroud at their absolute peak. Maybe Rogers and Jenkins when playing at their most dominant, which is rare.

Another ingredient is Dorsey's incredible motor. The biggest problem with most DTs - see Rogers and Jenkins, and innumerable 1st round busts - is that they often have dubious work ethic, and inconsistent motors. That will NEVER be a problem with Dorsey, who has as good a motor as you will come across, the stamina to play every down, and makes every player on his team better by his presence.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Dorsey should be rated elite.

BamaFalcon59
04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I'd be impressed if you can think of 5 defensive tackles in the league who are as good at pass-rushing as Dorsey AND as good at stuffing the run as Dorsey, and do so consistently. Kevin Williams. Haynesworth, for one year. Harris. Maybe Henderson and Stroud at their absolute peak. Maybe Rogers and Jenkins when playing at their most dominant, which is rare.

Tommie Harris is not close to as good as Dorsey at stopping the run. Kris Jenkins is not as good as a pass rusher.

I believe Kevin Williams, Albert Haynesworth, Sean Rodgers, and maybe the former duo in Jacksonville can be as good as Dorsey in both catagories. And Dorsey has the potential to be a better pass rusher than all of them, along with a motor that makes him pass up Haynesworth and Sean Rodgers.

AllDayFootball724
04-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I think the only Elite DT is Sederic Eliss, I think he is much better than Dorsey and is a better comparison to Warren Sapp

SuperMcGee
04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
As of 8:15am on Wednesday, April 2nd I have 14 scouting reports left to go, and more than half of those are kicks and punters. I should finish them tonight and then the fun stuff starts on Thursday!

BTW, as far as Williams goes I don't see him as a draftable prospect.

Bring back Ben Woods!

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 07:13 AM
And they are D O N E ! ! !

http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/f/fat_joe_make_rain_060912/a.jpg

The final talley is 415 on the nose and every player in my rankings now has a scouting report, with the exception of Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith who will be done on April 9. I will probably add another 10-15 at some point before Draft Day but after working on them for a month straight they are for all intents and purposes finished!!!

BaLLiN
04-03-2008, 07:18 AM

The final talley is 415 on the nose and every player in my rankings now has a scouting report, with the exception of Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith who will be done on April 9. I will probably add another 10-15 at some point before Draft Day but after working on them for a month straight they are for all intents and purposes finished!!!

well done, im looking forward to Reggie Smith's scouting report

BaLLiN
04-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Bobbie Williams (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/bobbiewilliams.html)

I think he should be bumped up maybe 5 places, and where do you think he'll project FS or SS?

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I will be re-working my rankings here in the next week. Williams will indeed be moving up a bit.

BaLLiN
04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
I will be re-working my rankings here in the next week. Williams will indeed be moving up a bit.

yay, its like christmas! thank you

Rob S
04-03-2008, 11:13 AM
I know u just got through all these reports and I may be a bit greedy, but is a new mock coming any time soon? Are u going to wait until after the 9th?

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I know u just got through all these reports and I may be a bit greedy, but is a new mock coming any time soon? Are u going to wait until after the 9th?

Coming next Monday. I am going to work on it over the weekend.

NOBLE
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I don't know if it's discussed yet, but CB Terrell Thomas doesn't have a scouting report. :(

Rob S
04-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Coming next Monday. I am going to work on it over the weekend.

hence why u are the man scott!

Matthew Jones
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Scott, still no Terrell Thomas? :(

yourfavestoner
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM

Ya diiiiiiiiiig?!

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't know if it's discussed yet, but CB Terrell Thomas doesn't have a scouting report. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I thought I was done... :(

I'll knock it out.

holt_bruce81
04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I thought I was done... :(

I'll knock it out.

Malcolm Kelly to?

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Malcolm Kelly to?

He's waiting for his and Reggie Smith's official work out on April 9th

holt_bruce81
04-04-2008, 01:22 AM
He's waiting for his and Reggie Smith's official work out on April 9th

ah duh, i remember readng that.....my bad.

Scott Wright
04-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Here it is:

Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/terrellthomas.html

holt_bruce81
04-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Here it is:

Terrell Thomas, CB, USC
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/terrellthomas.html

it still says coming soon.

might be just my computer

d34ng3l021
04-04-2008, 02:05 AM
It is just you.

Congrats Scott. Youre done?

bearsfan_51
04-05-2008, 01:31 AM
I like how you said a punter didn't face top competition. An important aspect to punting the ball.

Cashmoney
04-05-2008, 02:22 AM
I like how you said a punter didn't face top competition. An important aspect to punting the ball.

Maybe the punter's just so good that that is his only weakness.

Scott Wright
04-05-2008, 04:44 AM

It is. Not as much of a rush, the speed of the game is slower, the return men aren't as good, etc.

BlindSite
04-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Return men don't matter at all so much for a punter, the rush grant you does I suppose. Realistically though do you really see the punter or any punter coming under greater pressure from punt block units with a properly trained maintained line protecting them in the NFL compared to what they had in college?

Caddy
04-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Return men don't matter at all so much for a punter, the rush grant you does I suppose. Realistically though do you really see the punter or any punter coming under greater pressure from punt block units with a properly trained maintained line protecting them in the NFL compared to what they had in college?

Considering net yardage takes into account the metres gained by the punt returner I think it does.

TheBuffaloBills
04-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Congrats Scott.. you never seize to amaze me.

art vandelay
04-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Scott,

I see you have Joe Fields as a safety prospect with a scouting report but not Dowanye Davis? As an avid SU fan who watched all the games last year, I feel Davis is actually the better prospect and could get drafted (especially ahead of Fields). He's versatile (can play CB or S), has better speed and better instincts than Fields. Also has a great build at 5'11" 205 lbs. Are you planning on adding more scouting reports and if so will Davis be someone you might add?

Here's a small YouTube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_qRjDc4Cdo

BlindSite
04-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Considering net yardage takes into account the metres gained by the punt returner I think it does.

Not really.

If you've got a great team, in a strong conference you'll have a great set of gunner's running down a great return man.

If you've got a crappy team, in a weak conference you have crappy gunners running down a crappy return man.

IMO playing in a lesser conference makes it harder for a punter because its more difficult for a line to block, then for the defensive side to rush and its easier for a returner to make a crappy gunner miss than visa versa.

When it comes to punters its all about accuracy and leg strength, anything else is just gravy.

sportsnerd23
04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Nice Work!

Caddy
04-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Not really.

If you've got a great team, in a strong conference you'll have a great set of gunner's running down a great return man.

If you've got a crappy team, in a weak conference you have crappy gunners running down a crappy return man.

IMO playing in a lesser conference makes it harder for a punter because its more difficult for a line to block, then for the defensive side to rush and its easier for a returner to make a crappy gunner miss than visa versa.

When it comes to punters its all about accuracy and leg strength, anything else is just gravy.

Punt return yards directly effect a punters net average so it most definitely does effect a punters statistics.