PDA

View Full Version : A New player in an NFL.com mock draft

ESimsfan87
03-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Really found it quite interesting that in Pat Kirwan's mock draft he released today he had your Detroit Lions taking...............

OG Branden Albert.

I've never seen a mock with us taking him but to be completely honest I really, really dig the pick. As much as we complain and moan about that RT position our guard play is just as bad its just not as noticeable. But Albert has the ability to start at guard from day one and he played a little tackle last year too. It should be noted that he had DE Derrick Harvey going to Cincy at 9 and Mendenhall to the bears so both of them were off the board.
Thoughts?

WMD
03-25-2008, 12:55 PM
I'd like that pick. He could instantly start at Guard, and I'm confident that he could take a Tackle spot and play that very well, too. He's a guy I've been thinking about quite a bit lately (and not just before I go to sleep).. I'd definitely throw his name into the mix for our pick.. I don't think I'd pass on Chris Williams for him.. but I'd be happy if we got Branden Albert.

P-L
03-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I would probably be happy as well. It's not a "sexy" pick, but he definitely helps the OL. Even if #16 is too high for Albert, I'd still do it. I so desperately want this team to address the OL that I wouldn't care. He even has some LT potential to work with.

WMD
03-25-2008, 01:03 PM
IF Mendenhall is there at #15, I think we could trade down a few spots.. maybe to #18 with Houston, or maybe #22 to the Cowboys. I'd bank on him still being there.. with my main worry being Albert going to the Eagles at #19.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
This would probably one of my first options for us for our first round pick.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Albert is a nice player but at #15 for a guard?

I think we have much bigger needs on defense and running back. We have two young guards in Ramirez and Frank Davis to develop. Marinelli is high on Peterman and Mulitalo is a decent starting LG.

Plus does Albert fit the new zone blocking scheme?

wingboy2999
03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
WMD <3's Albert

ESimsfan87
03-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Albert is a nice player but at #15 for a guard?

I think we have much bigger needs on defense and running back. We have two young guards in Ramirez and Frank Davis to develop. Marinelli is high on Peterman and Mulitalo is a decent starting LG.

Plus does Albert fit the new zone blocking scheme?

If Albert left after his Junior year I'm pretty sure the advisory committee told him that he was intelligent enough to pick up the system quick enough to start if he would be a first rounder. Plus, outside of rookie players I don't think there is a certain style of guard that is required in the zbs. All in all I really do not like Frank Davis and Stephen Peterman- at all. Definite upgrade in my books.

Addict
03-25-2008, 05:09 PM
If Albert left after his Junior year I'm pretty sure the advisory committee told him that he was intelligent enough to pick up the system quick enough to start if he would be a first rounder. Plus, outside of rookie players I don't think there is a certain style of guard that is required in the zbs. All in all I really do not like Frank Davis and Stephen Peterman- at all. Definite upgrade in my books.

upgrade is the key word here, we need an upgrade at guard, vs ANYTHING at RB, LB and a lack of NT... I like albert as a prospect, I just think it doens't adress the biggest need.

That being said, I wouldn't be dissapointed if we did in fact select albert.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-25-2008, 05:41 PM
upgrade is the key word here, we need an upgrade at guard, vs ANYTHING at RB, LB and a lack of NT... I like albert as a prospect, I just think it doens't adress the biggest need.

That being said, I wouldn't be dissapointed if we did in fact select albert.

Agreed I wouldn't be disappointed as long as he pans out. I don't care who we pick other than a WR or Safety if they pan out. I just don't think its our biggest need. And Round 1 is typically not used on guards. Plus I want to see what Ramirez can do personally.

DE,LB,RB,NT,OT are all bigger needs than guard IMO.

And as far as Kirwan the guy who did the mock, he was a personnel man with the Jets when they were awful. I believe his last year there the Jets went 1-15 and Kirwan brought in the likes of Neil O-Donnell to the Meadowlands.

woodnick
03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd rather have Williams, who was still there in Kirwan's mock. I'm not quite sure if ther Lions feel as though G is a need, I'd prefer a couple of upgrades, but I think a G like Chilo Rachal in the 2nd with Williams in the 1st would be a better use of selections and would maximize the talent they are receiving.

Scotty D
03-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Taking a RG at 15 would be a joke.

WMD
03-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Taking a RG at 15 would be a joke.

Shawn Andrews was picked #16 overall...

Addict
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Shawn Andrews was picked #16 overall...

By the Eagles who at that point were a very solid team on their way up. There's this subtle difference.

wingboy2999
03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
By the Eagles who at that point were a very solid team on their way up. There's this subtle difference.

Touche... touche....

awfullyquiet
03-25-2008, 06:53 PM
alberts could play inside and outside on the line. offers the versitility that the lions could use. THATS why he's gonna go in the early 20's.

DT's tend to be hit or miss in top round bust potential. you can't use that. RB's can be found later. Tashard Choice? Heck. there's plenty of backs i think in the mid rounds that would be a huge upgrade over bell. LB is a late day 1 look for y'all..

Addict
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
alberts could play inside and outside on the line. offers the versitility that the lions could use. THATS why he's gonna go in the early 20's.

DT's tend to be hit or miss in top round bust potential. you can't use that. RB's can be found later. Tashard Choice? Heck. there's plenty of backs i think in the mid rounds that would be a huge upgrade over bell. LB is a late day 1 look for y'all..

late day one, so that's mid second round, which is where I hope we can get Mayo. And we don't need an upgrade over bell, we need a freakin' starter who can run for a full season.

And if you move Albert to tackle you'll simply have Leonard Davis part II

woodnick
03-25-2008, 07:31 PM
late day one, so that's mid second round, which is where I hope we can get Mayo. And we don't need an upgrade over bell, we need a freakin' starter who can run for a full season.

And if you move Albert to tackle you'll simply have Leonard Davis part II

My feelings exactly. Besides, Albert would need more time to develop into an OT if he ever did, so why not just draft an OT in the first place? Don't get me wrong he's got great upside w/ a 6'6'' frame, but I'd rather have Williams.

wingboy2999
03-25-2008, 07:34 PM
WMD <3's Williamz

Brothgar
03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
People are turning around to my way of thinking... I like it. the means Da da da Chris Johnson in Round 2!!! Woot woot!

wingboy2999
03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't know if I like Johnson in the 2nd. I'd rather have a bigger back who can be an every down back even if they are slower.

Brothgar
03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't know if I like Johnson in the 2nd. I'd rather have a bigger back who can be an every down back even if they are slower.

Personally I'd like to see a 2 back system and it seems to be the direction that the league is going. I'd say CJ this year grab another hard hitting RB next season and we can call it good.

woodnick
03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Personally I'd like to see a 2 back system and it seems to be the direction that the league is going. I'd say CJ this year grab another hard hitting RB next season and we can call it good.

We already have Chris Johnson, oh wait his name is Tatum Bell, so why not match him and Calhoun up with a bigger back like Forte or Kevin Smith? Or we can just play to get high enough to draft Beanie Wells next year, he looks like an everydown back.

toonsterwu
03-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Really some side notes, but while I still think it's awful high for Albert, there seems to be some suggestions that there is the possibility that he might not be available when Detroit picks. Obviously, a long way to go, and a lot of dynamics at play, but there is a slim chance that 5 offensive lineman might be off before 15, which might be some sort of record (too lazy to check). Just early speculation, and again, I'm still awfully surprised that he's considered this highly. The most positive attribute for Albert is how technically sound he is. He doesn't have superb power as an in line blocker, and he isn't a freakish athlete. What he has are long arms and good footwork, which, in all honesty, fits better at tackle than guard, and which may be part of the reason why a lot of teams are pushing him up.

WMD
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Really some side notes, but while I still think it's awful high for Albert, there seems to be some suggestions that there is the possibility that he might not be available when Detroit picks. Obviously, a long way to go, and a lot of dynamics at play, but there is a slim chance that 5 offensive lineman might be off before 15, which might be some sort of record (too lazy to check). Just early speculation, and again, I'm still awfully surprised that he's considered this highly. The most positive attribute for Albert is how technically sound he is. He doesn't have superb power as an in line blocker, and he isn't a freakish athlete. What he has are long arms and good footwork, which, in all honesty, fits better at tackle than guard, and which may be part of the reason why a lot of teams are pushing him up.

That's what I've been TRYING to tell them!

Geo
03-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd mention Jonathan Stewart, but it seems a number of Lions fans have their hearts set on OL with the 1st round pick. I don't think Millen agrees to be honest, he's taking a stud RB with the 16th overall pick imo, but we'll see.

Scotty D
03-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I'd mention Jonathan Stewart, but it seems a number of Lions fans have their hearts set on OL with the 1st round pick. I'm not sure Millen will agree though, we'll see.

I really think the foot problem will scare Millen away. Look at what we went through with Kevin Jones.

woodnick
03-26-2008, 09:09 AM
And Stewart had injury issues in previous years, durability was his concern entering the year.

wingboy2999
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah, not a fan of an injured RB at 16. We just cut one that could be good... well, was good.

Addict
03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, not a fan of an injured RB at 16. We just cut one that could be good... well, was good.

we pick at fifteen. And Stewart with that injury is not an option considering what the team went through with KJ. If we go running back at 15, it's Mendenhall. If OL or DE, it's BPA at those positions.

SINCE1978
03-27-2008, 12:48 PM
If you're reading this, we ALL spend too much time analyzing a below average football organization!!

Albert is good, watched him a few times this year and he would start day 1 but not many organizations (especially with so many glaring needs) goes Guard with a 1st pick ...

Love your dream mock, only question is Jeremy Thompson. Is he any good?

Addict
03-27-2008, 02:34 PM
If you're reading this, we ALL spend too much time analyzing a below average football organization!!

meh, guess we do...

Albert is good, watched him a few times this year and he would start day 1 but not many organizations (especially with so many glaring needs) goes Guard with a 1st pick ...

exactly, it makes too little sense not to happen.

no clue

ESimsfan87
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Haha thanks yeah I just thought it was about time someone mentioned that.

Jeremy Thompson is probably the second best defensive end against the run next to Phillip Merling and should be a mid round pick for someone but from the times I saw Wake on tv he looked like a guy that could really develop into a force for stopping running backs taking the run outside, something we have a problem doing outside of Ernie of course.

wingboy2999
03-27-2008, 11:45 PM

I like the have this thing called.... fun. So don't take a dump on my parade, damn it.

J-Hype
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
idk about albert cant say im a big a fan i mean wasnt backus a guard in college and looked how he turned out i think im a bigger of otah then albert we need to much help on defense then offense and now that we lost are running backs KJ and ducket a rb is need too. id like something along these lines

1st Rashad Mendenhall-Jeff Otah-Aqib Talib-Mike Jenkins
2nd Jered Mayo-Sam Baker-James Stewart-Dan Connor
3rd Kentawn Balmer-Calias Campbell-Slaton-hart-rice

if we dont get mendenhall we could get rice stewart slaton or even hart in the later rounds so im not to worried about that but we need alot a help in secondary and a stud in the middle cause im sick of lennon

04-09-2008, 03:44 PM
I really doubt Albert is there at #15.

Addict
04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd mention Jonathan Stewart, but it seems a number of Lions fans have their hearts set on OL with the 1st round pick. I don't think Millen agrees to be honest, he's taking a stud RB with the 16th overall pick imo, but we'll see.

okay we have the 15th. And my heart is still very much set on Mendenhall.

Geo
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Re: that post, the presumption was that Mendenhall was off the board.

Addict
04-09-2008, 04:34 PM

oh well in that case it's probably OL or DE (if harvey's there)

wingboy2999
04-09-2008, 05:17 PM

You just broke his heart. I hope you can live with yourself.

Addict
04-10-2008, 06:30 AM
You just broke his heart. I hope you can live with yourself.

lol. It's okay, I had the day off so now I'm sitting in my room crying in the arms fo my life-size Rashard Mendenhall-figurine.

Iamcanadian
04-10-2008, 07:55 AM
You can forget all that OG talk. Albert is rapidly moving up the draft charts because he is now considered a very solid LT prospect and could be the 2nd OT off the board. There is even talk, he could go top 10 because of his upside as a LT.
Detroit is in tough at #15, Harvey, Mendenhall and Albert may all be off the board before we draft leaving Millen to assess the leftovers and decide on our pick. Given Millen's track record, asking him to decide on our choice based on his assessment, it is a pretty scarey scenerio.