PDA

View Full Version : What was your biggest draft miss?

DeathbyStat
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm sure we have bad threads like this before but what was your biggest draft miss?

By draft miss I mean a guy that you thought would be great but be turned out to bust huge.

Off the top of my head I thought that Charles Rodgers was going to be a hell of a player.

the decider13
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
I think a lot of people thought charles rogers was gonna be a hell of a player. I'd have to say he is one of my biggest misses too.

DancingMonkey
03-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Agreed, I thought Rogers would be nothing short of "amazing."

I have to admit an even bigger miss though - I've always thought David Carr was just a good organization away from greatness, but after his last year with the Panthers I think I'm finally spent on that one. :P

BeerBaron
03-25-2008, 03:10 PM
back in the year they took benson, i really really really wanted the bears to take mike williams....

but now it looks like neither will work out so i guess its not all bad.

but i liked mike and i was wrong

cdub11
03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
sadly i was on the Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch bandwagons :(

also thought andre wadsworth was going to be a star

ds8582
03-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I admit I thought benson would be a stud. I liked Troy Williamson and Mike Williams. Thank god i was wrong.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-25-2008, 03:28 PM
sadly i was on the Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch bandwagons :(

also thought andre wadsworth was going to be a star

Wadsworth had major injuries, so it's hard to say what he could have been

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I admit I thought benson would be a stud. I liked Troy Williamson and Mike Williams. Thank god i was wrong.

i didn't know that anyone liked him.......he seems like the same player he was in college, just speed to burn

JagHombre22
03-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I was hitting myself for the jaguars not taking Brady Quinn (at the time we didn't really have a starting QB)....but now looking back I'm glad we didn't because Leftwich probably would not have been released, David Garrard would have probably never have started and we would probably never have gone to the second round of the playoffs...

also....I thought Udeze was going to be a great end....didn't really turn out that way...

Staubach12
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Well, other than all the obvious ones, I really liked Reggie McNeal a few years back...

Paranoidmoonduck
03-25-2008, 03:40 PM
I hated that Oakland drafted Thomas Howard. Woops.

skinzzfan25
03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I was one of the people that wanted Kellen Winslow over Sean Taylor.

I wouldn't call it a miss, because both panned out to be the tops in their respective positions, but I'm still glad we drafted ST.

EDIT: Also, if we took K2 in the first, that means no Cooley in the 3rd. And Cooley is the man.

DeathbyStat
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM

Yeah I bit on those guys too

KCJ58
03-25-2008, 04:21 PM
i predicted that Tim Couch would win a Super Bowl

luee
03-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Size, speed, and all the measurables. Never expected a bust on the OL. So glad the Giants traded up for Eli in 04.

mqtirishfan
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Either Charles Rogers or Cedric Benson. I thought both would kill the Packers year in and year out.

DawgBone
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
i predicted that Tim Couch would win a Super Bowl

He did make the playoffs with possibly the worste team to make it in playoff history. That team had the worste talent in the world.

CARDIAC CAT 7
03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, other than all the obvious ones, I really liked Reggie McNeal a few years back...

Reggie McNeal was mine too, I thought he was gunna be the next Michael Vick (before he got caught abusing dogs). Rocket Arm, 4.3 Speed but then Cincy came and turned him into a wideout, :(.

ninerfan
03-25-2008, 05:43 PM
2 words Mike Williams

badgerbacker
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Reggie McNeal was mine too, I thought he was gunna be the next Michael Vick (before he got caught abusing dogs). Rocket Arm, 4.3 Speed but then Cincy came and turned him into a wideout, :(.Futurescout had a lot of people drinking the Kool-Aid.

I thought Chris Gamble was going to be amazing. He hasn't turned out bad, but I thought he was going to be an All-Pro.

energizerbunny
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Gallery
Mike Williams (Texas)
Leonard Davis
Damione Lewis
Jimmy Kennedy
Ryan Sims

BeerBaron
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Gallery
Mike Williams (Texas)
Leonard Davis
Damione Lewis
Jimmy Kennedy
Ryan Sims

a sucker for the big men eh? its usually hard to picture those types busting but it happens plenty....

DeathbyStat
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah i was a fan of of Gallery whitch has lead me to underate both Joe Thomas as well as Jake Long.

HChu
03-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I thought Joey Harrington was going to be a stud.

initial_flo
03-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I liked Pete Warrick.

He's probably the reason why I'd never draft another first round receiver unless he was another Calvin or Randy

BaLLiN
03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I liked Pete Warrick.

He's probably the reason why I'd never draft another first round receiver unless he was another Calvin or Randy

yea, he looked amazing at FS, i missed on that one pretty bad athough i was a mere child back then...

BPhilb
03-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Dan McGwire. I thought he would be a franchise QB for many years for Seattle. I was actually sure of it and to this can't understand why he didn't pan out even though he looked lost on the field. He had everything you would want physically for a QB.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-25-2008, 09:19 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson

He still has time to turn it around, but he'll never be what I thought he was

cdub11
03-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I liked Pete Warrick.

im with you on warrick

FizzyFalcons
03-25-2008, 11:40 PM
I have to admit an even bigger miss though - I've always thought David Carr was just a good organization away from greatness, but after his last year with the Panthers I think I'm finally spent on that one. :P

that's a contradiction although I am a falcons fan.
I thought Pacman was gonna be that dude

adamprez2003
03-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Ryan Leaf and Tony Mandarich. I have a great track record regarding QBs both skipping the busts and calling the superstars but Leaf was just a blowup. I still think he mightve had a chacne if not for the rotator cuff injury. He was never the same after that. Mandarich was just a roids head and when he cut back he played like Jane

Brent
03-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I thought that Harrington was going to be good. Same with Rashaun Woods.

georgiafan
03-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Carson Palmer I thought he was a one year wonder

FinChase
03-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Gallery
Mike Williams (Texas)
Leonard Davis
Damione Lewis
Jimmy Kennedy
Ryan Sims

Leonard Davis is a pro bowler now--as a guard. I will agree that top 5 is way too high for a guard, though.

FinChase
03-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Cedric Benson
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Mike Williams (WR)
Rashaun Woods
Ricky Williams - don't know if he really qualifies as a bust, but he threw away his career

Woody56
03-26-2008, 08:31 AM
I thought Ben Troupe was going to be a great TE

the_legend_killer
03-26-2008, 08:58 AM
"Kyle Boller is going to be a very good QB." - Me

I still hold out hope....

bigmac076
03-26-2008, 09:24 AM
from the 2006 Draft, Virginia LB Kai Parham

http://www.cindrich.com/images/parham.jpg

I had him going in the early 2nd round that year, went undrafted, and signed with the Cowboys. He was released on the first week of August 2006. Fail.

GermanSaint
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
not so fatal ( because it wasnt a first rounder = next up and coming star )

but i strongly believed that courtney watson could be a stud and the answer of our LB troubles. one year later he was tradet for a 3rd string TE and after a few weeks was cut by buffalo also.

one solid prediction by me : i never believed in the quinn pitcock in the first round mocks last year.

Sniper
03-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Ugh....Antrel Rolle, Chris Perry, David Terrell, Reggie Bush (so far, I give players 3 years to prove themselves), Robert Gallery, Jerome McDougle.

Matthew Jones
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Three big ones for me are Robert Gallery, Cedric Benson, and Mike Williams to a lesser extent.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I wasn't Mel Kiper, but I was high on Mike Williams.

iloxygenil
03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Rashan Salaam...

03-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Cedric Benson and Erasmus James first come to mind. Also thought players like Deangelo Williams and Manny Lawson would make bigger contributions by now but it's still too early to evaluate.

fenikz
03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Leonard Davis, god do i hate that man

sprawwl
03-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Going back a few years, I was really hyped when the Bucs drafted Kenyatta Walker... in more recent times, I was absolutely convinced that Cedric Benson would be a stud. Ouch.

roidrunner
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
jamal reynolds, i thought he was going to be the next great DE for the pack. man did he bust, and even worse he looked like the kuppa's from the Mario brothers movie.

Seanhawk
03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Robert Gallery. Being a Hawkeye fan, I still have no idea what happened there. I thought he was as close to a sure thing as you could get.

TimD
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
I thought that Bryan Thomas was going to be an all pro by his 2nd season.

roidrunner
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
how do you put images in a post?

regoob2
03-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I really liked Jimmy Williams DB from VT. Not sure what he's doing now.

BeerBaron
03-26-2008, 07:18 PM
how do you put images in a post?

the tags are like and

i just use photobucket. they give you the image tag to use if you want

BeerBaron
03-26-2008, 07:19 PM

if we have the same jimmy williams in mind, as there are at least 2 that i know of, i think he got moved to FS in atlanta....

energizerbunny
03-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Leonard Davis is a pro bowler now--as a guard. I will agree that top 5 is way too high for a guard, though.

He was a insane prospect though, he was over 350 and had incredible agility and feet.... i thought he'd develop into a HOF OTackle

I wouldn't say he is a bust, but I was way of the mark with what type of player he'd become

regoob2
03-26-2008, 08:13 PM
He was a insane prospect though, he was over 350 and had incredible agility and feet.... i thought he'd develop into a HOF OTackle

I wouldn't say he is a bust, but I was way of the mark with what type of player he'd become
He's a bust if your a cardinals fan.

P-L
03-26-2008, 08:16 PM
I was really high on OG Cody Mahan out of Baylor. Never made it to the NFL though.

TheBuffaloBills
03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
My biggest one by far has got to be Walter Thomas.

He was a 6-6 370 DT that ran a 4.8 and could do backflips.

I am pretty sure he was the fastest player to ever get cut by a team ever.

He litteraly go to camp, the coaches saw how out of shape he was, and just sent him home.

roidrunner
03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
http://tkfiles.storage.live.com/y1pF81RiBYN8c616w9y1yyN48lLMpSuazbxqJly2WBXnWR5lTP uQNIqtOZnOAl9vze6201aZJwNUimpaVGZwzC8Dg

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jul04/jam708.jpg

they look very similar. but the picture from madden is way better but i can not find it. Dam you jamal reynolds

jbooshey
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Kevin Jones...I thought he was the prototype RB prospect...injuries more than lack of talent slowed him into bust mode.

Yung Flippa
03-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Reggie Bush, Jimmy Williams & Antrel Rolle (Although, they can still turn it around)

MetSox17
03-26-2008, 11:12 PM

agreed.
i was yelling for the cowboys to draft him
instead of bobby carpenter. he's fast, strong, and he played really
good corner for VT. i know he got moved to FS,
so we'll see if he busts out, but this guy is super talented
and just hasnt been able to turn that into success

ChezPower4
03-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Tony Mandarich
Robert Gallery
Peter warrick
Rashaan Salaam
Mike Williams

LonghornsLegend
03-27-2008, 02:13 AM
agreed.
i was yelling for the cowboys to draft him
instead of bobby carpenter. he's fast, strong, and he played really
good corner for VT. i know he got moved to FS,
so we'll see if he busts out, but this guy is super talented
and just hasnt been able to turn that into success

I still would of gladly took him instead of Carp, we could use a CB and FS and his versatility would be perfect...Still to be seen how he fares at FS though.

PackerFan20
03-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, Jamal Reynolds was an awful pick. So was Ahmad Carroll.

In Charles Rodgers defense, he did break his collarbone twice, and was a very good WR before the injuries.

David Terrell, Rashaan Salaam, Cade McNown, Cedric Benson, and basically any other offensive player drafted by the Bears in the past 10-15 years.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Jimmy Williams has just been chilling on the Atlanta bench. I would like to think he can start at FS for us this year. He hasn't been able to make it over All-Pro saftey Chris Crocker though..

BBIB
03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Jimmy Williams hands down.

I started a thread on the Falcons MB asking would it be worth losing Vick to injury for a year again so we could have shutdown corners for a decade with Hall and Williams.

Now what a joke that is. Vick is in jail, D.Hall is on the Raiders, and Jimmy Williams has barely seen the field.

BrownsBacker
03-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I had to jump in on this thread. It is definitely hard to project talent, especially if you're an NFL scout.

This list of multi-millionaires is one reason it has been tough to be a Browns fan lately...
2002 RB William Green
2001 DT Gerard Warren
2000 DE Courtney Brown
1999 QB Tim Couch
NO TEAM
1996 FB "Touchdown" Tommy Vardell
1995 LB Craig Powell
1987 LB Mike Junkin
1988 LB Clifford Charlton

But their have been worse draft day decisions in the last 20 years...

LB Aundray Bruce, #1 OVERALL!?!
NT Ted Gregory, Denver cut their #1 pick at the end of training camp. Probably worst bust ever. Who cuts their #1 pick in training camp? They probably cut the scout that recommended him too.
OT Tony Mandarich, Cover of SI
QB Jeff George
QB Andre Ware
QB Todd Marinovich
DT Steve Emtman & LB Quentin Coryatt, #1 & #2 overall to Indy, ouch!
QB Rick Mirer
QB David Klingler
QB Tommy Maddox
QB Heath Shuler
LB Trev Alberts - I thought he was going to be tough.
RB Ki-Jana Carter
RB Lawrence Phillips
RB Tim Biakabutuka
DT Darrell Russell
WR Ike Hilliard
QB Jim Druckenmiller
QB Ryan Leaf - After the Rose Bowl I thought he was the real deal, not Peyton, oops.
DE Andre Wadsworth - With his strength and speed I expected Richard Dent numbers...
RB Curtis Enis
QB Akili Smith
QB Cade McNown
WR Travis Taylor
RB Ron Dayne
OT Stockard McDougle - I expected him to be dominant for years.
WR David Terrell
WR Koren Robinson
OT Robert Gallery
RB Cedric Benson
DE Jamal Reynolds
QB David Carr
QB Joey Harrington
TE Jerramy Stevens - I thought this guy was going to be what Antonio Gates is.
QB Patrick Ramsey
WR Charles Rogers

marks01234
03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Koren Robinson and Carlos Rogers were two of the best college WRs I had ever seen. I expected both guys to be elite level WRs. I saw a lot of Mike Irvin in Robinson and a lot of Randy Moss in Rogers. These two along with Darrell Russell, DT from USC, were all guys I expected to get over the "drugs and booze" and become something great. I guess Koren still has a some chance.

I loved Demetrius Underwood's potential. I might have been part of the 5% of people who didn't think that pick was a reach. Between him and Mike Mamula, I missed both boats by a mile.

I can't believe Courtney Brown didn't develop into an HOF DE. Brown was out the world in college.

D-Rod
03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I was very excited about Jimmy Williams. I wouldn't label him a bust just yet. He changed positions in college, then spent his rookie year at CB, then was switched to FS his soph year. His first year, he was told to get his weight down. His second, he was told to get his weight up.

He's also been somewhat in the doghouse for being a less-than-enthusiastic special teamer. Hopefully he's got the message now.

It appears that he will stick at FS this year. But even then, it's a different coaching staff, with a markedly different scheme.

A lot of the success of draftees has to do with the situation they come into. Robert Gallery may have blossomed if he didn't change positions and scheme every five seconds. Alex Smith's development might have been smoother if he had not had a different OC every year.

bitonti
03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I thought Matt Jones would be awesome, now he's a couple months from being cut. Oh well hopefully the jury isn't out on that guy and he can make it happen with another team. He got labelled "soft" very early and never shook that reputation with the Jags.

JT Jag
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I was real high on Matt Jones when we drafted him.

ChiFan24
03-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Ernest Shazor.

asmitty45
03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Joey Harrington to Charles Rogers made me change my pants when they were first put together.

Big Mike Williams (OT) Cedric Benson, Robert Gallery, Curtis Enis, and Erasmus James are my big ones though.

asmitty45
03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Ernest Shazor.

hahaha i remember him, he was picked in the second of like every mock and then went undrafted, great story.

MaxV
03-28-2008, 03:49 PM
- I thought that both Courtney Brown and Lavar Arrington would become the 2 best D players in the NFL.

- I was a bit unhappy when Colts selected Dwight Freeney over Ray Buchanon and Wendell Bryant.

P-L
03-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Big Mike Williams (OT)
I too was a big fan of Mike Williams, the Texas version.

SpottedCow
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Napoleon Harris. Thought he had the skills and obviously has the brains to be a real impact player. I was wrong.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-28-2008, 04:53 PM

He litteraly go to camp, the coaches saw how out of shape he was, and just sent him home.
You should probably put down the crack pipe.He ran a fast 40 for his size.But not a 4.8.More like a 5.2.

Sveen
03-28-2008, 05:24 PM

I believe he lasted about 10 minutes in Saints camp before being cut.

vidae
03-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I actually thought Ryan Sims would be a decent player.

Stupid me.

Redskins4Bowl26
03-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I was one of the people that wanted Kellen Winslow over Sean Taylor.

I wouldn't call it a miss, because both panned out to be the tops in their respective positions, but I'm still glad we drafted ST.

EDIT: Also, if we took K2 in the first, that means no Cooley in the 3rd. And Cooley is the man.

I second everything you said.

I thought Reggie Bush was a lock to Houston and was gonna be a hall of famer. Theres Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, and Emmit Smith. I thought Reggie was gonna be on that list someday.

He's not exactly a bust, but defiantly a miss.

treefi
03-28-2008, 05:40 PM
For the skill positions..

Underrated - Carson Palmer, Marshawn Lynch

Overrated - David Terrell, Charles Rogers, Byron Leftwich, Drew Henson, Reggie Williams, Reggie McNeal, Omar Jacobs

blackbelt3d
03-29-2008, 03:55 AM
My biggest draft miss was when I gave the 2006 Jason Babin Award to Antonio Cromartie.

Should've given it to Chad Jackson like I was planning before being swayed at the last minute.