PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Comparison...

MooshooGawd
03-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Since the combine there has been this weird buzz that the Bengals were seriously interested in Rashard Mendenhall with that #9 pick. Doesn't make sense at first, given that the Bengals have Rudi Johnson, Kenny Watson, Chris Perry and they just drafted Kenny Irons.

2007 was an awful year for Rudi. He lost weight to try and get more speed, but it backfired. He was getting nowhere. It looked like he had lost a step or two. Then he got struck by the injury bug. He could be a June 1st cut since he is making big money.

Common sense tells you that the Bengals would go defense at #9, but something just doesn't feel right. I think the pick will have many Bengal fans shocked. Picking a RB would do that.

Adam Schefter reported on NFL Total Access tonight (3/25) that the Bengals have lined up a private workout with Rashard, which isn't going to help matters.

I've tried looking at some old threads, but I can't really find too many people that have talked about him. What kind of player is he? Id like to hear some feedback from people that have seen him a few times.

bored of education
03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
A quicker and less crazy Priest Holmes

A Perfect Score
03-25-2008, 08:59 PM
think deuce mcallister...thats what i see when i look at him. Same build, same type of back.

as to your situation, i called RB to cincy a while back in my 2nd mock. Except i had them taking jonathon stewart, because i thought he would put up some crazy combine numbers. Which he did. but his toe surgery will undoubtedly knock him down a bit. Therefore, i think mendenhall is the pick.

and as for rudi, i never thought he was anything special. I always thought he was kind of overrated...i mean, look at the passing attack that was opening things up, and he ran behind willie anderson, levi jones, and eric steinbach.

BaLLiN
03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
think deuce mcallister...thats what i see when i look at him. Same build, same type of back.

as to your situation, i called RB to cincy a while back in my 2nd mock. Except i had them taking jonathon stewart, because i thought he would put up some crazy combine numbers. Which he did. but his toe surgery will undoubtedly knock him down a bit. Therefore, i think mendenhall is the pick.

and as for rudi, i never thought he was anything special. I always thought he was kind of overrated...i mean, look at the passing attack that was opening things up, and he ran behind willie anderson, levi jones, and eric steinbach.

yea i agree with that, and when i first said it people said i was an idiot, nice to know im not the only idiot on this forum.

His running style which is somewhat upright and he is mostly power with some moves makes me draw comparisons to deuce and the body similarities just make it closer.

Smokey Joe
03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I could see it, but they really need to address defense.

MooshooGawd
03-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I agree. But I don't want them to take a defensive player just to take one. If Ellis and Dorsey are off the board, Id rather them take a guy that'll make an impact.

Is he a better prospect than Marshawn Lynch was coming out this time last year?

etk
03-25-2008, 09:35 PM
I see a lot of Steven Jackson in him. Similar size/build, runs with some power and elusiveness/cuts, good receiver, etc.

Flyboy
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't see the Deuce comparison. I think of a shiftier version of Ronnie Brown.

etk
03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't see the Deuce comparison. I think of a shiftier version of Ronnie Brown.

I like that comparison a lot actually. I definitely agree he's not like Deuce as well.

toonsterwu
03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree. But I don't want them to take a defensive player just to take one. If Ellis and Dorsey are off the board, Id rather them take a guy that'll make an impact.

It's an intriguing debate. I myself would lean to Lynch, who I believe is the smoother runner of the two, for lack of a better word right now. That said, there are those that would argue that Mendenhall has more power than Lynch, which will serve him better in the pros.

As for a comparison, there's a lot of possibilities out there. One that I'm inclined to think is a more athletic Corey Dillon (and a couple inches shorter). The above are all solid comparisons as well. Shaun Alexander is another thought.

As for the Bengals, well, it is quite intriguing. RB definitely has to be a consideration, with Rudi's physical concerns, plus his contract. Add in Watson being more of a backup (and he's not exactly young), along with Perry and Irons maladies, plus the lack of many power back options, and certainly RB at 9 has always been in the discussion. I think the DT's would rate first, though, if value is there. Granted, I know the history, as it's been several years now where people suggested DT would get a look. Furthermore, the team is high on Fanene. That said, if a top 2 guy is there, and Ellis has a decent shot of being there, I'm hardpressed to think they wouldn't go that route, unless said player has some physical concerns. Whether or not they would deal up is a bit debatable, though. There's still some buzz on DE, despite signing Odom and having Geathers. Personally, I think it's more likely they wait. The other thought, besides RB, would be LB, although it's more debatable than some think if Rivers merits it here, and moreover, LB is a position that can be addressed later.

BaLLiN
03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
I like that comparison a lot actually. I definitely agree he's not like Deuce as well.

watch them on youtube one after another, there are some similarities

ThEvIcTR
03-25-2008, 10:51 PM
He looks more like the edge from the southern U of M, THE U

BamaFalcon59
03-25-2008, 10:54 PM
I like the Deuce McAllister comparison, pre ACL injuries that is. Remember, Deuce was very fast for his size.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Mendenhall is the closest thing I've seen to Ricky Williams in more than a few years.

A Perfect Score
03-25-2008, 11:03 PM
I like the Deuce McAllister comparison, pre ACL injuries that is. Remember, Deuce was very fast for his size.

pretty sure deuce ran a 4.41 pre-draft that year...i could be wrong. Anyways, after wathcing mendenhall extensively, thats the best comparison i could come up with. Although i do see some of the other comparisons, IE steven jackson as well.

thebow305
03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I think he's a LOT like Ronnie.

Scott Wright
03-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I'd say maybe a little bit of Laurence Maroney.

PossumBoy9
03-26-2008, 02:34 AM

Yes, and one of the Top 10 players in this draft, IMO.

DeathbyStat
03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
As Steelers fan I hope they take offense in the first.

MURPHMAN
03-26-2008, 08:24 AM
If the top two DT's and DE's are off the board (very possible), RB becomes a very strong possibility for Cinncy.

The Panthers have also scheduled a private workout with him.

keylime_5
03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
I think Mendenhall is certainly a possibility for Cincy, but in the end I think Sedrick Ellis wil be available and they'll certainly pick Sed.

cdub11
03-26-2008, 08:41 AM
i like the ronnie brown comparison also

cincy needs so much help defensively, its hard to see them going with a RB but anything could happen

GermanSaint
03-26-2008, 09:23 AM

i can see it .... rashard mendenhall is the deuce before haslett want him to gain 20 pounds.

deuce was VERY quick , coming out of Ole Miss , but transformed more and more to a straightline powerrunner after 3-4 years ...

ronnie brown .... hmm i can see ricky williams without nastyness in him :D

thebow305
03-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Shiftier? Ronnie brown is about as shifty as they come, more so than Mendenhall for sure.

IndyColtScout
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Bengals1969 (not sure) killed me for saying a few weeks ago that I believe Mendenhall is the pick. That's before the visit and all. He's going to be a natural fit in CIN. I think he will give the offense a big boost of playmaking skills from the RB position which will in turn help the passing offense.

I think Mendenhall reminds me of Edge before the knee injury.

BoltHype
03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
I see a bit of Rudi Johnson in him

bored of education
03-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I think Marshawn Lynch is a better prospect than Mendenhall. That is just me.

A Perfect Score
03-26-2008, 02:06 PM
I see a bit of Rudi Johnson in him

except rudi ran a 4.7 and mendenhall a 4.38, right? i dont see the comparison at all...rudi is a pure bruiser, and while mendenhall certainly runs with power, there is alot more to his game then that.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-28-2008, 02:43 PM
The Panthers are supposedly very interested in Mendenhall. For those Panther fans out there, what happened to DeAngelo Williams? He had 5yds per carry last year but only 144 carries.

GermanSaint
03-28-2008, 02:47 PM
The Panthers are supposedly very interested in Mendenhall. For those Panther fans out there, what happened to DeAngelo Williams? He had 5yds per carry last year but only 144 carries.

to fragile ? i donīt know . but i canīt see them being real interested .... their backfield is loaded with solid guys.

art vandelay
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
I think Marshawn Lynch is a better prospect than Mendenhall. That is just me.

Agreed. Both can catch pretty well out of the backfield but I gotta give the edge to Marshawn in cuts and keeping his legs pumping after contact. Mendenhall has better straight-line speed, though.

asmitty45
03-28-2008, 03:39 PM
i cant see how Cincy can afford to avoid that defense for any longer especially after losing madieu williams.

I think that the best way to indirectly offset that is getting a guy like Harvey/Merling or Ellis that can put some pressure on the QB so that Jon Joseph and Co. can put up some respectable numbers

I_C_DeadPeople
03-28-2008, 03:46 PM
i cant see how Cincy can afford to avoid that defense for any longer especially after losing madieu williams.

I think that the best way to indirectly offset that is getting a guy like Harvey/Merling or Ellis that can put some pressure on the QB so that Jon Joseph and Co. can put up some respectable numbers

Losing Madieu is no great loss, he has not been the same player since his shoulder injury. I agree though that they need a strong defensive draft...which means they will go OT in round one..lol

asmitty45
03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Losing Madieu is no great loss, he has not been the same player since his shoulder injury. I agree though that they need a strong defensive draft...which means they will go OT in round one..lol

haha, i still think Williams is a pretty good player and his loss will have to be accounted for, but if I was a bengals fan i would be furious if they picked mendenhall.

Now if they moved one of those WR's and finagled their way into the later first then I would say take him if he's BPA at 9 and address the Defense with you other 1st.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
but i canīt see them being real interested .... their backfield is loaded with solid guys.

Here is a story on their interest

March 27, 2008
Panthers attend private workout by Mendenhall
0327mendenhall Carolina Panthers officials held a private workout on campus today with Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall (5, at right).
Mendenhall is rated the No. 2 back available in the draft and could be a good fit in the Panthers' offense with his size (5-10, 225 pounds), power and breakaway explosiveness.
The Panthers have the 13th pick in the first round, and Mendenhall is projected to go somewhere been picks 7 and 15.
It is believed that Carolina sent its top officials to the workout, including GM Marty Hurney and head coach John Fox.
This has been a running back-intensive week for the Panthers' pre-draft scouting process. Hurney attended the Arkansas pro day workout on Tuesday, where he got to watch top-rated back Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, who's projected as a late first- or early second-round pick.
While there has been heavy speculation that the Panthers are targeting an offensive tackle or defensive end in the draft, there's reason to believe they have legitimate interest in picking one of the top running backs.
Carolina needs a big back to serve as a compliment to DeAngelo Williams in the running game to help balance the offense to take pressure off of quarterback Jake Delhomme and receiver Steve Smith.
Mendenhall and Oregon's Jonathan Stewart (5-10, 235 pounds) are the top two first-round prospects that fit the big-back description. Stewart's draft stock has slipped some because he recently underwent toe surgery and might not be available to practice until training camp, or even later.
Mendenhall was named the Big Ten Conference offensive player of the year last season. He rushed for 1,681 yards and on 262 carries (6.4-yard average). He ran for 17 touchdowns and caught two TD passes.
Because he didn't become a regular starter until his junior season in 2007, Mendenhall enters the NFL with little wear and tear on his body. He had 388 rushes at Illinois.
Even though he's one of the bigger backs in the draft, Mendenhall ran the 40-yard dash in a swift 4.45 seconds at the NFL scouting combine. He had 26 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press -- double the 13 that McFadden managed at his pro day workout this week. Mendenhall's short shuttle time of 4.18 was the best among backs who performed the drill at the combine.

AtariBigby
03-28-2008, 07:40 PM
He reminds me of a combo of the two former Minnesota Gopher RBs" Laurence Maroney and Marion Barber.

Mendenhall has take it to the house speed (as USC learned in the Rose Bowl), and strength to break tackles and fall forward for an extra yard or two.

I definitely want to see him end up in the AFC.
The Bengals would be wise to pick him, and then go defense every other pick.