PDA

View Full Version : Haruki Nakamura Safety U of Cinn

no love
03-25-2008, 11:45 PM
What do you guys know about him. He is a Big East 1st team guy who did really well in the Hula Bowl with an int and a ff.

Good size at: 5'11" and 203 lbs

Recorded 95 tackles, 4 ints and 3 ff's in his senior season.

Some highlight clips of him:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHApgrJarw8&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=m3QVpqkj-yc&feature=related

The 49ers are having a private workout for him.

Here are his work out numbers:
4.55 40
34.5" vertical
10' Broad
4.33 shuttle
6.93 three-cone

Paranoidmoonduck
03-25-2008, 11:50 PM
Intruiging guy, because he stood out so much in college.

Sometimes I think he could start on certain teams, but he's got a bit of a ways to go before that's a realistic situation. At the very least he should make an impact on special teams.

no love
03-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I thought it was interesting that Scott didn't even have him on his list of safety prospects. But he seems like at the least a solid special teamer with good enough athleticism and good hitting ability with the kind of demeanor you want in a gunner.

SKim172
03-26-2008, 12:26 AM
I talked about Nakamura in the thread about possible draft sleepers. Personally, I think the guy suffers a lot from playing for Cincinnati. UC gets no love - somehow, they always go under the radar. As for Nakamura, he had a standout senior season, 86 tackles, 4 interceptions, 3 forced fumbles, also blocked some kicks had a few sacks. 4.55 is a good time for him, though he's been timed faster. He has punt return ability as well.

The reason why Nakamura hasn't been getting attention, besides UC's anonymity, is because he's undersized. His playing weight was about 185-190, and he's not too tall at 5'10 1/2". The reasoning was he was an overachieving college player, wouldn't be big or strong enough to impact the pros.

He answered both those questions handily at pro day. He measured in 15 pounds above his expected playing weight, still ran a 4.55 forty, and, most impressively, had 20 reps on the bench press. I guess we know where those big hits came from.

What I've noticed about him is that though he's often smaller than the ballcarrier, he plays with excellent leverage, meaning he's always a sure tackler. He knows where to get the guy to force him on the ground - and he often comes up on his feet. Take a look at the tackle he makes on Ray Rice in the first highlight vid - very difficult tackle on a guy who's usually money in goal-line situations. Nakamura makes big hits, but he's consistent - he's always a factor in the game.

His negative is, obviously, his size, but more importantly, I've noticed he can get swallowed up in traffic by bigger blockers. He could improve in that area. He also doesn't have elite speed. He's a good, but not great athlete.

But, it's rare to find a safety who can both tackle and defend passes. And he's got a knack for forcing fumbles. Not included in the 4 forced fumbles are several passes he knocked out of the receiver's hands into a teammate's arms.

Plus, any guy who can bodyslam a running back (2:36 in the first vid) deserves at least an interview.

no love
03-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Wow, thanks for the input. I would love to have him on the niners.

YAYareaRB
03-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Ditto.. I would love to have him on the 49ers as well. I think Nolan could coach him up real good. He would also be a good addition to our already crazy special teams.

Jonny
03-26-2008, 12:10 PM
He has great hands, and would be a demon on ST. I can't see him starting though.

BeerBaron
03-26-2008, 12:17 PM
he does sound like a good player, and it is a surprise scott doesnt have him ranked at all....

neko4
03-26-2008, 12:46 PM
excellent work ethic
smart player
just a tad undersized

themaninblack
03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Being from Cincy I've seen a lot from this guy(heck I met him on a recruiting visit) and he is a very good football player. I'm really hoping he gets drafted somewhere because he could really help someone on special teams and maybe play in certain schemes. Outstanding work ethic and a very high character guy. He is loved here in Cincy by a lot of people(some bars had his name on their signs) and i would really love to see him at PBS this upcoming season.

initial_flo
03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
excellent work ethic
smart player
just a tad undersized

And as far as I can tell he's got good measurables and excelled at a winning school, well as far as 2007 goes anyway.

I like this guy

TheChandlerFlash
03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
excellent work ethic
smart player
just a tad undersized

Undersized? If we learned anything about the NFL in todays world it's that size isn't as big of an issue like it used to be. Arguably the best safety in the NFL is 5'11 200 LBS.

Nakamura could make an impact right away on special teams and develop into a good NFL safety. He's got the right mindset and a great work ethic, if anythings holding him back it's his athleticism. But with NFL strength coaches and conditioning programs he should be ready within a year or two.

no love
03-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Obviously, the guy can hit and wrap like safeties bigger than him. He has excellent timing and anticipation to make hits. I think the only area where size hurts is in taking on blocks... but he is a safety. If your safety is taking on blocks all day to make takes, then the lbs are not doing their job.

TheBuffaloBills
03-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah Skim172 talked about him in a previous thread. I looked at his youtube video's and was extremely impressed with him. For his size, It is extremely impressive to put up 20 reps of 225.

BaLLiN
03-26-2008, 06:04 PM
videos make him look pretty good

no love
03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Yah, I know that highlight videos are not really indicative of a players ability. But put those videos just show his hitting ability and you have to put into those videos into perspective with what he did as a player, his measurables, and what scouts say.

critesy
03-27-2008, 02:12 AM
definetly have him over reed doughty for the skins.

XPetey
03-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Good call on this one guys. The whole reason I joined this forum was to try and ask Scott why he didn't have Nakamura ranked. I sent him an email and posted about him when Scott did some S rankings.

I said it there and I'll say it now, Haruki reminds me of Chinedum Ndukwe, the 7th round pick for the Bengals. Ndukwe was a little bigger and faster, but they're the same type of ball player.

If the Bengals didn't have such a glut of backup S I'd love to see them take him.

iloxygenil
03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Undersized? If we learned anything about the NFL in todays world it's that size isn't as big of an issue like it used to be. Arguably the best safety in the NFL is 5'11 200 LBS.

Nakamura could make an impact right away on special teams and develop into a good NFL safety. He's got the right mindset and a great work ethic, if anythings holding him back it's his athleticism. But with NFL strength coaches and conditioning programs he should be ready within a year or two.

Bob Sanders is 5'8 max

But as far as prototypes go, yeah, he's pretty far off for a Safety prototype, but with a name like Nakamura how can you not know the guy is going to be an absolute stud.

Jakey
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I love this kid...Mr. Stiller was raving about him ages ago! He should be great on special teams.

iloxygenil
03-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Just wow @ those highlights, the kid has serious pop and is fun to watch, he'll land somewhere...

Couple of VERY impressive plays against Rutgers, I'd like to see him in an entire game against some top flight competition, but looks solid out there.

Oh and I must say, that blitz he came on, first thing in my mind was "LaRon Landry"

Smokey Joe
03-27-2008, 10:51 AM
I could see him going a lot earlier then expected, 5th or maybe even 4th round.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-27-2008, 12:55 PM
If the Bengals didn't have such a glut of backup S I'd love to see them take him.

They have a glut of backups, but none are any good...and I am a Bengal fan...

no love
03-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I could see him going a lot earlier then expected, 5th or maybe even 4th round.

Damn. Niners are missing a 5th rounder. I guess we will have to pick him up in the 4th!!

soybean
03-27-2008, 01:14 PM
anyone have a picture of him? is he full blooded japanese? that would be awesome.

neko4
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
anyone have a picture of him? is he full blooded japanese? that would be awesome.
Asians everywhere would rejoice
we thought we had one in the league with Timmy Chang, but now we have Haruki Nakamura

soybean
03-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Asians everywhere would rejoice
we thought we had one in the league with Timmy Chang, but now we have Haruki Nakamura

ok, i don't know if this counts:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cinn/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/1116946.jpeg

he looks half hispanic-half white

YAYareaRB
03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
ok, i don't know if this counts:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cinn/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/1116946.jpeg

he looks half hispanic-half white

He looks like a Hawaiian-Japanese

Aftermath
03-27-2008, 02:54 PM
They have a glut of backups, but none are any good...and I am a Bengal fan...

You're a fool

Ndukwe is special and White is a headhunter with ballhawking qualities.

The only Safety thats not any good is Dexter Jackson.

no love
03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
He looks like a Hawaiian-Japanese

I don't know of many Hawaiian Japanese folk from Ohio. But, he is definitely a happa (half Japanese, half white). Obviously his dads Japanese.

art vandelay
03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Leonard Peters-esque, IMO.

SKim172
03-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Leonard Peters-esque, IMO.

Is that good or bad?

I don't know Nakamura's specific racial heritage, but I do know that his mother is a 6th degree black belt in judo. In a recent interview, under "One thing people might not know about you" was the fact that every member of his family has at least one national championship in judo. I believe he has a sister (? Not sure) but in any case, he's definitely been raised within the Japanese culture.

It is possible he is full-blooded Japanese. There are many Japanese who resemble Caucasians - and there is a Caucasian minority that is native to Japan.