PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Suprise Teams?

TouchdownUSC
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Who is a possible suprise team for the 2008 season and why?

etk
03-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Miami, and not because I'm a homer, but because our division should be very easy. We should be able to walk into the ACC championship game, but what happens after that is up in the air.

Shane P. Hallam
03-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Here are my surprise teams for each conference:

ACC: Virginia. They have been teetering on the edge of making a major impact, but the Cavaliers have some players.

Big East: Pitt - USF, Louisville, and WVU should all be on top, but Pitt is getting their big time recruits into the game, and they may make a jump to the top of the Big East.

Big Ten: Penn State. Can you call them a surprise? Maybe not, but they've had some down years. I like Clark at QB, and even with their losses, they may have a major impact.

Big 12: Colorado. They are always in the running, but the Big 12 is at an up year. Colorado could pull through.

Pac-10: Washington. Locker is legit, and that offense could be downright nasty.

SEC: Mississippi State. They took a small leap, could they take a bigger one?

brat316
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
You forgot the MAC

MAC-Temple 8-4 wins it all

KCJ58
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Colorado & Arizona State

Solomon
03-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Here are my surprise teams for each conference:

ACC: Virginia. They have been teetering on the edge of making a major impact, but the Cavaliers have some players.

Big East: Pitt - USF, Louisville, and WVU should all be on top, but Pitt is getting their big time recruits into the game, and they may make a jump to the top of the Big East.

Big Ten: Penn State. Can you call them a surprise? Maybe not, but they've had some down years. I like Clark at QB, and even with their losses, they may have a major impact.

Big 12: Colorado. They are always in the running, but the Big 12 is at an up year. Colorado could pull through.

Pac-10: Washington. Locker is legit, and that offense could be downright nasty.

SEC: Mississippi State. They took a small leap, could they take a bigger one?

I don't know about Virginia, they've had a turbulent off season.

Pitt I definitly agree with, I think Cincy will surprise as well, on paper their defence looks real solid.

In the Big Ten I think Wisconsin will have a nice year. Their running game should be very strong, Beckum will once again provide that terrific option in the passing game and if their D can establish some good play in the interior of their line they could win 9 games.

BufFan71
03-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Colorado: Cody Hawkins, a better offensive line, Darrell Scott, the development of the young players who started last year. Stingy Defense

fenikz
03-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Not a surprise to me but Miami will rise to the top again this year

Turtlepower
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Locker is not legit. He ranked near the bottom in all passing categories in the PAC-10 last season.

fenikz
03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Locker is not legit. He ranked near the bottom in all passing categories in the PAC-10 last season.

ya he is definitely overrated not sure what people see in him

BaLLiN
03-26-2008, 05:12 PM
My picks are Miami and Pitt, both will have good running games

neko4
03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
how about Central Michigan?

brat316
03-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Stop that Temple will take care of them in the MAC champ game.

Axl Rose
03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Notre Dame, very favorable schedule this year.

Turtlepower
03-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I'll go with Stanford. I think they'll make a bowl game this year under a good coach and a well-balanced team.

I will also say that LSU will struggle to win 8 games.

etk
03-26-2008, 07:12 PM

I wouldn't call them a surprise team, unless they have a tough non-conference schedule and go undefeated. They're easily the class of the MAC and one of the best non-BCS teams.

I don't agree with Virginia as a surprise team this year. Last year was their surprise year and it will be tough to replace the players they've lost this offseason on such short notice. Because our division is weak they could finish as high as 2nd though.

North Carolina is the other surprise ACC team IMO.

Yatta!
03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Miami and Pittsburgh seem to be the most common picks. Not really a surprise pick but BYU could be very good. If they build on last year, they could make a run at a BCS bowl.

OregonDucks
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Oregon will suprise a lot of people I think.

Turtlepower
03-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Oregon will suprise a lot of people I think.

It depends where people expect them to finish in the conference. PAC-10 will be a down year for the conference, so I expect them to fight with UCLA for 3rd in the conference and I'll give the nod to Oregon. Jonathan Stewart will hurt, but Dennis Dixon I think won't hurt as much as people think.

neko4
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Stop that Temple will take care of them in the MAC champ game.
Yeah right, Tim Tebow's MAC clone will take care of business

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 07:50 PM
surprise surprise here, but Rutgers.

many feel without Rice, they'll be a sub-par team, well YOU'RE WRONG!

we've got 4/5ths of our OL solidified right now, and our OL coach is a ******* genius.

Britt and Underwood are one of the top 10(if not higher) tandems in the league, and we're more than fine with youth and speed backs replacing Rice,

The D is losing 3 starters, but losing Foster gives us more size in the middle, losing Renkart gives us ALOT more speed at LB, and as much as I love Girault, Lefeged is an absolute MONSTER alongside Courtney Greene

etk
03-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I agree, Rutgers will be better without Rice. I see them having a lot more big plays with a faster backfield and more downfield passes from Teel to Underwood, Britt and Brown. I don't like their defense but on paper they should improve.

Big East champs IMO, and no I'm not just shamelessly trying to get rep.

princefielder28
03-26-2008, 07:54 PM

Thats right baby!

etk
03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Bryan Anderson=god.

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I agree, Rutgers will be better without Rice. I see them having a lot more big plays with a faster backfield and more downfield passes from Teel to Underwood, Britt and Brown. I don't like their defense but on paper they should improve.

Big East champs IMO, and no I'm not just shamelessly trying to get rep.

well I shamelessly agree with you and feel we'll be BE champs.

I don't think we'll be better without Rice, but we won't have the huge drop many expect.

And actually, I think our defense is MUCH improved from last year. We had a lot of young talent that didn't play much last year ala Abreu, Lefeged and D'Imperio(due to injury)

kwilk103
03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
i guess wvu doesnt qualify as a surprise team?

neko4
03-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I doubt it happens, but id be cool if Miami suprised some people and got back to the top of the ACC

TouchdownUSC
03-26-2008, 08:49 PM
i guess wvu doesnt qualify as a surprise team?

WVU isn't a suprise team. I actually see them dominating the big east next year and possibly playing USC in the national championship game.

Vince Mullins
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
No love for Texas Tech? with that schedule (http://texastech.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/text-m-footbl-sched.html) and the offensive continuity why not? They should definitely get to November without a blemish...

Vince Mullins
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM
dont they need a QB first? Marve looks like the guy, but can he be THAT guy?

SuperMcGee
03-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Drew Willy is nothing like Tebow...

Alright, I'm not going to predict anyone to finish ahead of LeFevour & Co, even with that godawful defense. But I can't see Temple taking the MAC East. I like Buffalo's chances, but I shouldn't get my hopes up with this team's history. One thing I can say with confidence - Davonte Shannon is a stud.