PDA

View Full Version : Why are Pro Day verticals higher than Combine verticals?

Shane P. Hallam
03-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I understand when 40 times are faster due to track and all that. But, across the board, Pro Day verticals have been higher than the Combine verticals. Is there any difference in how these are set-up? Ray Rice increased 7 inches. I just wanted some thoughts and found it interesting.

BufFan71
03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Terrence Wheatley got a 38.5

which i think is the highest

UKfan
03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I believe there was a problem with the measuring at the combine. I've read it in the past but I can't find the link.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-26-2008, 04:42 PM
From what I heard, all combine vertical measurements were off either 3 or 5 inches. Most players opted to re-jump at their pro days, so most numbers should be accurate by now.

Or maybe the pro days just have trampolines.

SKim172
03-26-2008, 04:48 PM
On ESPN, they reported that there was a mistake with measuring the arm length of players at the Combine, thereby setting the testing device higher and resulting in lower numbers. It's good advice for any prospect to do the vertical on their pro day - should be an improved figure.

art vandelay
03-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Wrong. Chevis Jackson notched a 40" vert today.

MetSox17
03-26-2008, 05:25 PM
On ESPN, they reported that there was a mistake with measuring the arm length of players at the Combine, thereby setting the testing device higher and resulting in lower numbers. It's good advice for any prospect to do the vertical on their pro day - should be an improved figure.

You don't move the device at all actually.
You measure the amount in inches from the ground to the tip of your middle
finger with your arm extended up against a wall or the device itself, and you take the measurement. Then you jump as high as you can, take the difference and that's your vertical.

Did anyone think that the reason their verticals are higher at their pro-days is because they don't work out as much?
I dont know if they got measured before they ran, but imagine having to
run two 40 yard dashes, then cone drills, then go up and explode
as high as you can using nothing but your legs.
I'm sure that had a part in it more than them screwing up the device or measurements or what not

Gchu83
03-26-2008, 05:26 PM

Drew Kelson (SS Texas) got a 41.5 at UT's pro-day.

BufFan71
03-26-2008, 07:06 PM
well

i guess i was wrong

Yatta!
03-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Did anyone think that the reason their verticals are higher at their pro-days is because they don't work out as much?
I'm sure that had a part in it more than them screwing up the device or measurements or what not

The messed up mesurements played a much bigger role. Even players who did an almost complete workout at their Proday were improving their verts by large amounts.

asmitty45
03-26-2008, 08:35 PM
All of the guys at the MSU pro day jumped like 5 inches higher, i think there was something wrong with the one at the combine.

TheBuffaloBills
03-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Here is the link

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19530

FinNasty
03-27-2008, 07:38 AM
You don't move the device at all actually.
You measure the amount in inches from the ground to the tip of your middle
finger with your arm extended up against a wall or the device itself, and you take the measurement. Then you jump as high as you can, take the difference and that's your vertical.

No, they messed it up at the combine...

Mike Mayock talks about it in this video after hes done talking aboutu Devin Thomas...

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d807339b1

swollja
03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
another reason i think maybe the kid's actual coaches will let them get by kinda flexing their shoulder when they reach up so they don't reach as high (but something the combine prob looks at harder). but when they jump they fully stretch out so that prob adds a couple inches.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Drew Kelson (SS Texas) got a 41.5 at UT's pro-day.

I believe Vernon Gholston posted a 42" vert at Ohio State's pro day.

edit - corner Marcus Brown of McNeese St. notched 43.5" and Chaz Schilens of SD St. had a 43" vert.

bored of education
03-27-2008, 03:15 PM
They are jumping on trampolines DUHH JBond DUHHHH