PDA

View Full Version : Mayock Rankings - 03/26

TACKLE
03-26-2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80406b71&template=with-video&confirm=true

Thought I'd post this because Mayock's ranking always start good discussions. Their not too different from the last ones.

LonghornsLegend
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
I do think its a little ironic how he had Flowers as his #1 db, and said his 40 time doesnt matter because he has great hips and he's still a top 10 pick...Then when Flowers runs his 40 all of a sudden he drops below 4 people.

Also not sure how or why Doucet is ranked above Sweed, especially after LSU's pro day and the times Doucet ran in his 40 and short shuttle, but I know by now he has his own agenda.

asmitty45
03-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Henne as the #2 QB, wow. Brohm is much better in my eyes, Henne did look great in their bowl game and was pretty good when healthy, but I think Brohm is going to be a better pro.

And Mendenhall > McFadden? I think that could turn out to be true, but I would wait to call that because Mendenhall was a 1 year guy and McFadden nearly won the heisman twice.

Also, Devin Thomas is a bit of a stretch at the #1 WR, I think he's gonna be great but i think Kelly is a safer pick, less of a boom/bust guy.

BaLLiN
03-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Dre Moore is a DE?

Scotty D
03-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Where is Mayo? I don't understand.

BaLLiN
03-26-2008, 08:36 PM

where is Reggie Smith? gotta be in either the top 5 safeties or corners

regoob2
03-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Dre Moore is a DE?
Ya I was wondering about that also.

BeerBaron
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
boo henne #2 QB. actually.....if hes the #2 QB...and there are more than 2 teams ahead of the bears that want QBs.......

YAY!! Henne fully deserves to be the #2 QB. that guy is a cant miss......stud........boy that was hard to say

princefielder28
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
No Philip Wheeler???

toonsterwu
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
There is some feeling that Wheeler is somewhat stiff and may be a 2-down LB. I don't agree with that, but that might be the explanatory factor there. As for Reggie Smith, I think a lot of folks are waiting to see what type of raw athlete he is, because that will determine a lot on where he places.

TACKLE
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
where is Reggie Smith? gotta be in either the top 5 safeties or corners

Honestly, Reggie Smith is the guy I expect to slide further than people expect on draft day. Alot of people on this site have him pegged as a late first but I wouldn't be overly surprised if he fell to the late 2nd-early 3rd.

BeerBaron
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
sometimes i think mayock switches things up just for the sake of switching them up...

anyone else feel that way?

Cashmoney
03-26-2008, 09:02 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Mayock is one of those guys who's rankings are so different just for the sake of being different. I've never really liked him as much as some other people. I especially hate how he's all over Matt Ryan's schlong and it's more than likely just because he's friends with the Ryan family.

gsorace
03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
sometimes i think mayock switches things up just for the sake of switching them up...

anyone else feel that way?

Yes, there is no justification for putting DaJuan Morgan over Kenny Phillips, and not having Reggie Smith in the top 5.

SKim172
03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Nice to see Zuttah as the #3 Guard. Still, not sure where that came from - did he just not watch tape on Zuttah until after the Combine or something?

neko4
03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Dre Moore is a DE?
in a 3-4 yes.
Mayock makes me sick with his rankings

Paranoidmoonduck
03-26-2008, 09:14 PM
2. Glenn Dorsey
LSU
1. Sedrick Ellis
USC
3. Kentwan Balmer
North Carolina

I especially liked this.

Overall, they are a bit interesting. Looks like Mayock had a change of heart with Flowers (maybe he realized he wasn't quite a physical as he was originally touting him to be). Xavier Adibi is a bit strange as the third overall outside linebacker, but it looks like Mayock likes that VT defense.

ThePudge
03-26-2008, 09:15 PM
No Jerod Mayo is rough. C'mon Mayock. Mayo, to me, is a sleeper Top 15 pick in April.

falconsrule
03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Mayock is one of those guys who's rankings are so different just for the sake of being different. I've never really liked him as much as some other people. I especially hate how he's all over Matt Ryan's schlong and it's more than likely just because he's friends with the Ryan family.

Also add to the fact that Brian Brohm is considered by alot of scouts to be the 2nd or even 1st QB in this year draft but Mayock doesnt even have Brohm as his #2 QB...mmmmm.....Thats kinda funny to me.

toonsterwu
03-26-2008, 09:21 PM
If Ryan is the example, then a lot of individuals would be "over his schlong".

Is Mayock perfect? Nah, no draft analyst is.

But that said, a fair case can be made in support of his rankings.

a) QB - Can a case be made for Henne ahead of Brohm? Sure. Better projectable deep ball. Better arm strength to hit the outs. Another argument is that, while Brohm is more mechanically sound, Brohm may also be more mechanically tight, which can be a negative. Those are two key facets to judging QB's. I don't like Henne, and I'd have him 4th, if not 5th, but a case is definitely there. If anything, I'd disagree more with Booty at 5 instead of Henne at 2, but a lot of people seem to be putting Booty up as a safe pick. There also stands a chance the 5th QB doesn't come off the board until the 4th round, which is close to where I feel Booty goes anyways. Look, it's a debate on who's 2 and 3, as most people have Ryan as the clearcut number 1.

b) RB - While I disagree from a value perspective, from a personal perspective, I can definitely see the case there. But that's been discussed ad nauseum. Ray Rice at 5 over Chris Johnson would seem to be more debatable than the M and M issue (and even then, I can buy the case for Rice ahead of Johnson).

c) TE - Post Carlson's pro day, I've got no issues with keeping him up there. Carlson is perhaps the most well-rounded of the top TE's. For the most part, I think people have the same 5, albeit potentially in different orders, but those 5 largely project to 2nd/3rd round status, so the differentiation, from a relative perspective, is minimal.

d) WR - I think Doucet is high. I'm a huge fan of Doucet, but I think that's high. That said ... can a case be made that, in a weak wide receiver draft, could WR readiness boost someone up to the late first, where a good team may want to find a more immediate piece? I can buy that argument. I have eerie feelings of Troy Williamson in Devin Thomas, but as of now, Thomas is probably first due to the size/speed potential. Afterwards, can a case be made positiviely that someone demands the 2 slot? Don't see it. Sweed is more vertical than anything, which won't fit for everyone. Jackson is undersized, Kelly has some serious issues that have to be addressed, Hardy has some character flaws. Not saying I agree with it, but of all the top WR's this year, Doucet is the one guy I feel comfortable in saying that I could see him come in and be a solid contributor, a guy that can perhaps be a decent 2 next year, if not a good 3, a guy that can help in the run game.

e) Can't see many people having serious issues with the OL rankings. Those have largely been the same 5 OT's for a long time, and in terms of interior lineman, that's been the grouping since the combine.

f) DE - outside of the Dre' Moore mistake (as Dre' is listed at DT as well), don't see folks having serious issues there.

g) Can't see folks having problems with his DT rankings. Maybe a case can be made for Pat Sims at 5, but Moore's physical upside warrants it. Although I find it order that the numbering is screwed up, or maybe it's some sort of weird thing where he's trying to still say he prefers Ellis, but has Dorsey as the higher guy?

h) LB rankings - Of his rankings, the ILB ones are the one I disagree with. The OLB list looks fine. But I'm just not big on Larsen. Not sure what he sees there on Larsen to justify Larsen ahead of Wheeler and Mayo. I'd like to hear his concerns with Mayo. Certainly, Mayo may be an OLB (and if he was, I'd peg him 2nd).

i) DB - cb shouldn't be a glaring issue, as tha'ts the fivesome many have. Certainly, it warrants consideration as to whether or not Cason has moved up there, but it shouldn't be a big issue. S, well, I think Phillips should go ahead of Morgan. But can I buy a case for Morgan over Phillips? Sure. Morgan might be a more instinctive and consistent player. If anything, I'd like to see how he grades the safties, because I've been making the case for awhile that I think Tyrell Johnson might be the best safety (of course, when I started talking about Tyrell, I never envisioned him as the third safety on a board).

Addict
03-26-2008, 09:22 PM

Mayock is EXTREMELY high on those other guys for some reason. But it's still weird that Mayo didn't make the list considering his triangle numbers and his program pedigree.

Solomon
03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Some thoughts:

-I like Thomas as the #1 WR and think that some teams in the NFL probably feel the same way. He isn't as polished as some of the other guys but his combo of size and burst is unmatched among top 10 WR prospects, and he can help out on ST as well. Doucet is too high for my liking though.

-The omission of Jerod Mayo is startling, most had him as a second rounder or worst case scenario third rounder before workouts and he absolutely lit up the workouts. Having Jordan Dizon, Spencer Larsen and Beau Bell all above him is absurd.

-Reggie Smith is somebody who I can def see dropping on draft day if he doesn't do well in workouts. Like some have already mentioned on this thread, much of his value has been attributed to his athleticism. I think he has an uphill battle to be considered among the top 10 CB because alot of other guys are rising after their workouts, he could crack the the top 5 S ranking for sure but it certainly isn't a sure thing.

-I hope Dre Moore as the #5 DE is a mistake esp since he is also the fifth ranked DT. IMO Groves should have that spot locked up, unless Mayock considers him solely an OLB in which case Lawrence Jackson should get some pub.

-Nice to see Wesley Woodyard at #5 for OLB. I've been curious as to why
Geno Hayes and Ali Highsmith have been so much more highly regarded than him when Woodyard's only real knock is his size and both Hayes and Highsmith weigh less than him (Highsmith weighed 220 at the LSU pro day and is shorter as well).

- Brohm it seems took a bit of a tumble. I'm really curious at to what the actual scouting community thinks of him. I find him a hard palyer to get a read on and reports on him from the internet are all over the map.

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
03-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Cason > Flowers

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
okay well then if Reggie Smith falls to the late 2nd early 3rd, im pretty sure the giants would HAVE to take him then.

ironman4579
03-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Are you guys looking at the same rankings I am right now? Maybe it was updated after you looked at it, or you needed to refresh or something.

-Henne is #3, not #2. He has Flacco at #2.

-He has Mayo as the #1 ILB.

-He has Phillips as the #1 safety.

-Doucet isn't above Sweed. Sweed is #2, Doucet isn't in the top 5.

-Dre Moore's listed as the #5 DT, not as a DE.

Cashmoney
03-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Are you guys looking at the same rankings I am right now? Maybe it was updated after you looked at it, or you needed to refresh or something.

-Henne is #3, not #2. He has Flacco at #2.

-He has Mayo as the #1 ILB.

-He has Phillips as the #1 safety.

-Doucet isn't above Sweed. Sweed is #2, Doucet isn't in the top 5.

-Dre Moore's listed as the #5 DT, not as a DE.

Yeah, it was definitely updated then.

Larry
03-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Mayock still hasn't explained why he ranks Mendenhall ahead of McFadden.

Addict
03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Mayock still hasn't explained why he ranks Mendenhall ahead of McFadden.

yes he did, months ago...

Essentially he feels that Mendenhall is the better RUNNER with the ball, he's worried about McFadden's legs going dead on contact and he loves the NFL-type cuts Mendenhal makes. He also feels McFadden's ability to catch he ball isn't as good as they say.

That was basically what he said.

TACKLE
03-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah, those are updated. The one's I posted were new on March 26. Then he updated them two days later. Now it says March 28 on the page.

03-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Mayock's most updated rankings are very good and should only become more accurate as the draft approaches. Unfortunately he's too stubborn to change his mind on McFadden.

Addict
03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Mayock's most updated rankings are very good and should only become more accurate as the draft approaches. Unfortunately he's too stubborn to change his mind on McFadden.

or maybe he just feels McFadden is overrated, he did make a good case against him. Obviously he's not too stubborn considering he dropped Flowers four spots.