PDA

View Full Version : 08-09 Scarlet Knights

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Seriously, I infest so many other threads with my Rutgers homerism, I figured why not just funnel it into one thread? Miami had an 08 season thread, so why can't Ru? :D feel free to talk about the awesomeness that is the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

We lost 3 OL starters and Raymell Rice, but I feel our offense should be ok.

Teel was hurt for the majority of the year last year and his thumb should be healthy by now and for the season. And he is the 2nd coming of John Elway you know.

Robinson, Young and Martinek are all young speedsters in line to replace Rice. Young is an explosive back, but he's coming off knee surgery. He's the front runner to replace Rice for now. Robinson was the #2 guy last year(obviously he didn't get many carries) but is a former DB who has obvious speed and quickness. Showed alot more toughness as the year progressed and should be an asset to our offense.
Martinek tore up the practices and PS D, and has looked extremly impressive. He'll see some time. He's a soph, Robinson a true soph and Young a redshirt junior. THey all are explosive and fast, but the biggest question mark is can one handle the full duties? or will we go RB by committee? Our power back/short yardage right now is FB Morales, so lets see what happens there.

THe WR's are still set with Britt and Underwood being an excellent tandem(top 5 IMO) and Brown being the speedster on the outside. We're gonna have a Rex Grossman mentality at times with a **** it, I'm going deep.
Hopefully Teel settles down and makes nice short slant throws to Britt and Underwood, don't be just a bomb or run team like last year.

OL seems to be a big question mark after losing 3 NFL calibur players right? This may be true, but we seem to have a line set in our minds. Right now, it looks like:
LT: Anthony Davis(set)- true soph
LG: Caleb Ruch(set a an OG spot)- true soph, former backup C
C: Ryan Blaz(too lazy to spell whole last name)- junior, started last year, played VERY well
RG: Haslam or ?(Haslam is a redshirt JR)
RT: Haslam or ?

Haslam could easily play either OG or RT for us, which is nice. Lets us have more freedom to look for an OG or OT that stands out in practice. Incoming freshman Art Forst may have a shot at that open RT spot, but it's up for grabs.

That OL is young, but proven talent. R-Blaz, Davis and Haslam all started for us at one point last season(Haslam switched with Davis) and Ruch has tremendous raw strength, but will be an excelllent road grater for us. Needs to work on footwork, but still only a soph. We'll see on that other OL spot, but 4/5 after losing 3 starters is pretty damn good

I'll do some D break down in a bit

fenikz
03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Scotty because of your everlasting homerism towards Rutgers I actually find my self cheering for them in most games they play

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
ok, now for Defense:

our DL is a big rotation, especially at DE. Our main man is Jamaal Westerman, one of the few good things to ever come out of Canada. Our best guy, but he's inconsistant and needs to rack up some big sack numbers with Foster gone. Gary Watts mans down the other DE spot and is an excellent athlete for a DE. Had four starts, but played in every game and notched 4 sacks and over 6 TFL. He rotated time with now true soph. Alex Silvestro who started 4 games, playing in 11(i think) think he only had one sack, but is a very young talent, and nice run stuffer at the DE position. The main guy who split starts with Watts was our superb athlete on the line, George Johnson. He had 4 sacks and an INT and is a freakishly good athlete. Jamaal and Gary are entering their final years, but Johnson is now a junior and Alex a soph, so the future is bright, along with the present. We also have soph Jonathan Freeny who had an INT against cuse.(soph)

At DT we really have 2 guys now that Foster left, and will hope they stay healthy this year. Pete Tverdov was hurt last year, but is still a very solid DT. had over 30 tackles and was most improved on the D(given the actual award).
Alongside him is Vantrise Studivant. Got time when Tverdov was hurt and became a mainstay on the line. These two are very solid and reliable guys in the middle, but we have little depth at DT

LB: We lost Renkart, which hurts us in coverage, but helps alot in pursuit. Malast, our leading tackler, stays as our run thumper and wrap-up tackler. Hopefully the faster Ryan D'Imperio stays healthy and is able to start. I'm not sure who the other OLB spot goes to(Malast the 1st OLB spot) but I'm hoping it goes to Abreu. It could very well be Bines though, which I'd be fine with. Schiano likes to keep his D plans a secret.

DB: The McCourty twins are still here, which is excellent. Greene stayed, and will be a 1st rounder next year, so that obviously is good he stayed. Girault graduated, which sucks, but now Joe Lefeged can murder people over the middle, i can't wait for that. Our secondary, although lacking a playmaker, is solid and an unsung strenght of this team.

special teams: hopefully Tim Brown catches punts this year...*sigh*
San San Te is tearing it up right now and looking like it'll be a smooth kicker transition(although I'll dearly miss Ito) and punting duties look to be going to Teddy Dellaganna, who is a sophomore, and honestly, was our backup punter last year, that's it

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Scotty because of your everlasting homerism towards Rutgers I actually find my self cheering for them in most games they play

mission accomplished!

BaLLiN
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
its about time scotty...

shavedaeyebrow2
03-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Woooooo go Rutgers!

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I think Forst is going to win that RT spot.

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I think Forst is going to win that RT spot.

As do I. he enrolled early to get some more reps in with the team. That moves Haslam inside, where i think he's better. I don't see any other real competiton for him at that spot(talking of Forst)

Now who plays OLB is always a fun little guessing game. We both want Abreu, but who knows what Schinao has up his sleeve

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2008, 10:05 PM
As do I. he enrolled early to get some more reps in with the team. That moves Haslam inside, where i think he's better. I don't see any other real competiton for him at that spot(talking of Forst)

Now who plays OLB is always a fun little guessing game. We both want Abreu, but who knows what Schinao has up his sleeve

I think it's def. Abreu. I think he would have been out there last year but since he got hurt he wasn't able too. Do you know if he was able to get a redshirt?

scottyboy
03-26-2008, 10:07 PM
I think it's def. Abreu. I think he would have been out there last year but since he got hurt he wasn't able too. Do you know if he was able to get a redshirt?

I can hope it's him. He's got killer speed and playmaking ability.

And I believe he did, scarletknights.com roster has him as a sophomore with freshman eligibility.

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I can hope it's him. He's got killer speed and playmaking ability.

And I believe he did, scarletknights.com roster has him as a sophomore with freshman eligibility.

That's really good news then. I was afraid he might get screwed out of a year. My favorite Kenny Britt is going to have a monster year throwing him onto everyone's radar this year. By the time the year is over he's going to have made himself a 1st round pick. Our passing game should open up the running game so much even though our O-Line is going to be missing a lot. I also think our D will be better than last years with some faster guys out there. The cut back ability of opposing Rb's was the major problem against our D and I think we'll do much better against that this year. Losing Foster is going to hurt a lot but I think our back 7 should be much better.

Jonny
03-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I don't think Forst necessarily will. Gilmartin is listed as the starter for now. Newell, Stapleton, and Muldrow were all big recruits, among the best of the Schiano era.

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't think Forst necessarily will. Gilmartin is listed as the starter for now. Newell, Stapleton, and Muldrow were all big recruits, among the best of the Schiano era.

He did get a lot of O-Line recruits the year he got Davis. I think Forst has a very good chance to win that spot but would not be suprised at all to see one of the above listed guys take it as well.

RUGMEN
03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, long time reader, first time contributer...

scottyboy, goo analysists but first thing I caught right away was your RB breakdown. I really like Young (big fan of his since we signed him a few years ago), Robinson (great kid, great talent, a few people I know knew for years and rave about him), Martinek (from the otherside of the lake I grew up on) but I think your failure to mention Jourdan Brooks needs to be mentioned. This guy is a bruiser, who was red-shirted last year. There were reports that NOBODY wanted to tackle this guy in practices. I feel like he will be the Rutgers' Brandon Jacobs while the speedsters will battle for time and be the Ahmed Bradshaws.

All in all, happy to join you guys in discussing the Giants, Rutgers, and incoming rookies and prospects.

By the way, it is beautiful this time of night in southern Cal.

scottyboy
03-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Hey guys, long time reader, first time contributer...

scottyboy, goo analysists but first thing I caught right away was your RB breakdown. I really like Young (big fan of his since we signed him a few years ago), Robinson (great kid, great talent, a few people I know knew for years and rave about him), Martinek (from the otherside of the lake I grew up on) but I think your failure to mention Jourdan Brooks needs to be mentioned. This guy is a bruiser, who was red-shirted last year. There were reports that NOBODY wanted to tackle this guy in practices. I feel like he will be the Rutgers' Brandon Jacobs while the speedsters will battle for time and be the Ahmed Bradshaws.

All in all, happy to join you guys in discussing the Giants, Rutgers, and incoming rookies and prospects.

By the way, it is beautiful this time of night in southern Cal.

welcome to the board, good stuff. I forgot about Brooks. Wasn't e that converted LB? I think he was too small to play LB in college, but could be a very effective weapon for us.

My favorite of the 3 RB's i mentioned is Young, but I'm not sure how his knee will hold up. Of course I hope he's 100%, but when your style of running is based off quickness and cuts...

scottyboy
03-27-2008, 07:00 AM

Right now, I agree, it's Gilmartins job to lose. Right behind him is Forst though, we'll see during spring practices.

The great thing is, all those guys are young. THey're all redshirt freshman who helped out on our scout team.

Actually, the more I think about it, with Gilmartin being a senior(5th year I believe) I think he gets the sstarting nod of the incoming freshman. Save Forst for a year, let him learn, but don't redshirt in case of injury or in case Gilmartin struggles

RUGMEN
03-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I believe Brooks is the FB from Maryland who was recruited as a potential replacement to Leonard. Right now from people I know he is the newcomer to be most excited about.

BaLLiN
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
whats up with Joe Martinek? he went from CB to S to RB? I used to watch him play at hopatcong.

UKfan
03-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Go Rutgers!

Tampa 2 4 life
03-28-2008, 05:53 PM
This thread will be hilarious after Schiano goes to PSU.

kwilk103
03-28-2008, 06:22 PM

QFT!!! rugters will go back to being irrelevant again

how much longer til joepa retires/resigns/dies? i got 2 years max

scottyboy
03-28-2008, 06:25 PM

I think it'll be more hilarious when Rutgers beats the poop out of Matt Grothe :D

and Schiano won't leave for Penn State. He's created his own leagacy here building this team up. He's a hero here and could run for governor and probably win. He's signed till 2013(I'm 90% sure) and makes a LOT of $$$ here.

kwilk103
03-28-2008, 06:32 PM
I think it'll be more hilarious when Rutgers beats the poop out of Matt Grothe :D

and Schiano won't leave for Penn State. He's created his own leagacy here building this team up. He's a hero here and could run for governor and probably win. He's signed till 2013(I'm 90% sure) and makes a LOT of $$$ here.

everyone in wv thought the same thing about rod---were we wrong

and a signed contract means nothing----he has a buyout which can be paid (like rod)

Jonny
03-29-2008, 02:00 PM

Not going to happen.

QFT!!! rugters will go back to being irrelevant again

how much longer til joepa retires/resigns/dies? i got 2 years max

You realize that you're the WVU version of Scotty, right?

everyone in wv thought the same thing about rod---were we wrong

and a signed contract means nothing----he has a buyout which can be paid (like rod)

Our AD isn't lying to Schiano. Schiano gets everything he wants.

kwilk103
03-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Not going to happen.

Our AD isn't lying to Schiano. Schiano gets everything he wants.

1. thought the same about rod

2. probably

3. our ad didnt lie; read up on the situation; rod always had a working list of things he wanted; wanted a new lockerroom, its in the works and to be completed after spring practices; wanted new turf, got it last year; new speed stuff added to practice facility, coming next spring for pro days

he got everything he wanted, but it came down to little stuff; wanted to control the recruiting funds, ad said no; wanted his wife on the sideline for games, ad said no; basically wanted to control all things football with no input from the ad, including funds; basically running the ad

he was never satisified

theres a reason why rod didnt get that stuff, and huggins isnt even on the job 6 months, and he gets a $25 mil practice facility

scottyboy
03-29-2008, 02:22 PM

HEY! what's that supposed to mean?!?!

haha oh well, I embrace my role as an extreme homer :D

Jonny
03-29-2008, 03:28 PM
3. our ad didnt lie; read up on the situation; rod always had a working list of things he wanted; wanted a new lockerroom, its in the works and to be completed after spring practices; wanted new turf, got it last year; new speed stuff added to practice facility, coming next spring for pro days

he got everything he wanted, but it came down to little stuff; wanted to control the recruiting funds, ad said no; wanted his wife on the sideline for games, ad said no; basically wanted to control all things football with no input from the ad, including funds; basically running the ad

he was never satisified

theres a reason why rod didnt get that stuff, and huggins isnt even on the job 6 months, and he gets a $25 mil practice facility

That's a lot of excuses.

Rutgers fans don't need to make excuses. Schiano gets everything he wants. Have a look (http://www.scarletknights.com/stadium/photo450.html).

Tampa 2 4 life
03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
That's a lot of excuses.

Rutgers fans don't need to make excuses. Schiano gets everything he wants. Have a look (http://www.scarletknights.com/stadium/photo450.html).

If PSU comes knocking, there's no way Schiano turns down that job. Nowadays getting everything you want is expected for a major conference coach.

kwilk103
03-29-2008, 04:15 PM
If PSU comes knocking, there's no way Schiano turns down that job. Nowadays getting everything you want is expected for a major conference coach.

exactly; he wont turn it down

psu is a much better job

UKfan
03-29-2008, 04:34 PM
exactly; he wont turn it down

psu is a much better job

Psssh, what could be better than being the coach of a team Brian Leonard once graced?

etk
03-29-2008, 04:36 PM

Schiano turned down Miami, so I think that says a lot. We'll see.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Schiano turned down Miami, so I think that says a lot. We'll see.

Yeah, but Schiano isn't a Miami boy. He coached at PSU for 5 years, its different.

etk
03-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, but Schiano isn't a Miami boy. He coached at PSU for 5 years, its different.

HAHAHA. He was our defensive coordinator for 2 years, and that got him his job at Rutgers right after. He recruits heavily in South Florida too.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
HAHAHA. He was our defensive coordinator for 2 years, and that got him his job at Rutgers right after. He recruits heavily in South Florida too.

Well, he played for Bucknell(A PA School), and UM was a mess at that time. He's still a northeast boy, so my point still stands. If he had grown up in South Florida, it would be different.

etk
03-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, he played for Bucknell(A PA School), and UM was a mess at that time. He's still a northeast boy, so my point still stands. If he had grown up in South Florida, it would be different.

I really don't think he's a great deal more likely to take the PSU offer over Miami, unless they offer way more money (possible). I think he'll stick with Rutgers and keep building up their program.

kwilk103
03-29-2008, 05:08 PM
a lot of people think he goes to psu

scottyboy
03-29-2008, 05:27 PM
A lot of people were sold on him going to Miami, he didn't and signed a big bucks extension. You do know he is a jersey guy right? Born and raised in joisey. He's got it made here. Just build a new house close to the campus and is treated like a god really. Rutgers is getting the big name Jersey recruits now too, and not losing all of them to PSU and Notre Dame like we used to. I know it seems obvious he'd leave from an outsiders point of view, but he won't.

kwilk103
03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
A lot of people were sold on him going to Miami, he didn't and signed a big bucks extension. You do know he is a jersey guy right? Born and raised in joisey. He's got it made here. Just build a new house close to the campus and is treated like a god really. Rutgers is getting the big name Jersey recruits now too, and not losing all of them to PSU and Notre Dame like we used to. I know it seems obvious he'd leave from an outsiders point of view, but he won't.

substitute miami for 'bama, and jersey for wv and you have rod

just saying, it can happen to anyone

Jonny
03-30-2008, 10:59 AM

You have no idea what you're talking about. Schiano has said, repeatedly, to boosters that he is not going to PSU. Given everything else he's ever done, there's reason to take him at his word. His character and honesty are beyond reproach. And there's no reason to think that PSU wants him either.

This is a thread about the RUTGERS team. Not a thread for trolls to speculate about something that isn't going to happen.

NJ_J_Witt_fan
04-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Schiano isn't going anywhere.......he single handedly resurected the football program from scratch...and is just touching the tip of his potential now that top notch recruits are actually staying in state. RU will "keep chopping" for yrs to come!!

I am also on the Forst RT banwagon... due to the fact that Haslam is a better guard then tackle in my opinion. My only fear is that the RB's (Young, Robinson, and Martinek) are all scat backs/ Quick and shifty....while the O-line is def. better suited for a power running style, should be interesting....
Also Teel is going to have to depend on quick 3 step drops until the line develops good chemistry in pass protection. Which means he should throw a decent amt of quick outs...slants and curls to Underwood and Britt. :)

Thank the lord schiano that the d-fence should be first class and by the half way point in the season the offense should find its new.... (ARI) <~~ After Rice Idenity and everything should be just peachy.

ManOverboard
04-05-2008, 01:27 AM
Kevin Brock is going to emerge as an all big east TE. Mark my words.

Jourdan Brooks will be a Jonathan Stewart-esque back in our system, I'm PSYCHED to see what happens when he gets the ball.

Teel better light up defenses now that his thumb is (hopefully) 100%. I see him actually getting drafted in 09 in the 5th-7th rounds.

I'll be watchin em next year from Section 103.

GO RU!

scottyboy
07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
just looking back on this, and the PSU being a better job than RU thing, well RU is getting many PA reruits and NY guys that used to go to PSU. RU isa better job than PSU right now and our future is lookin bright.

4 headed RB moster: Young, Robinson, Martinek, and Brooks? nice. 4 guys, at least one's gotta pan out for us(all are unproven

Basileus777
07-08-2008, 06:53 PM
All the indications from PSU are that they want to promote Paterno's successor from within. Who says they will even offer Schiano the job?

kwilk103
07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
All the indications from PSU are that they want to promote Paterno's successor from within. Who says they will even offer Schiano the job?

its called recruiting

schools will say anthing to get recruit

illmatic74
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
He will have to wait until Paterno dies before he gets the job literally.