PDA

View Full Version : Breakout players in 2008

Primetime21
03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Who do you guys think is going to have a break out season on your team or in the nation?

Boise State- Jeremy Avery, Man is this kid talented. ESPN has him at 5-9 161 but almost every defense player says he hits like a truck. Last had 6.5 ypc and 10.9 average a catch. Crazy fast, runs hard, and this year should be implemented much more in the passing game. Avery will probably steal half of Ian Johnson's carries as a soph. He is the one in my sig.

Nation- Jeremiah Johnson, people know him but now that he is a starter he should tear up poor Pac 10 defenses. Has shown that he can do everything and should be very sucessful as Oregon finds a quarterback to draw some attention away from him with his arm or his legs.

Turtlepower
03-27-2008, 12:39 PM
For the Sun Devils it will be WR Chris McGaha. This kid could catch anything and after two seasons already has a nice highlight reel.

Nationally, I'll go with Eugene Jarvis from Kent State. He was 5th in rushing last year.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Jahvid Best RB California: Alot of people know this guy. But apparently Montgomery wont be on the team this year.Dont know why. Its Bests job to lose.

03-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Jahvid Best RB California: Alot of people know this guy. But apparently Montgomery wont be on the team this year.Dont know why. Its Bests job to lose.

One of the more exciting players in the Pac-10 can't wait to see this kid along with Sanchez and McKnight, two SC players who will breakout in a big way in '08!

neko4
03-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Darius Hayward-Bay
He'll have the production this year to meet his abilities

Yatta!
03-27-2008, 01:20 PM
I think Derrius Heyward-Bey is gonna put up monster numbers this year, he's always had the talent and I think this is the year he breaks out.

neko4
03-27-2008, 01:22 PM
I think Derrius Heyward-Bey is gonna put up monster numbers this year, he's always had the talent and I think this is the year he breaks out.
Yeah and if Chris Turner is QB again then it will be the first time, he'll play with a QB for 2 years
So there should be some chemistry there

soybean
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
does kevin riley count? i expect him to be everything longshore was SUPPOSE to be.

Sniper
03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Carlos Brown, the speedster from Michigan. This offense is tailor-made for a player with his abilities, and from the looks, we aren't going to be throwing too much.

etk
03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
-Robert Marve & our receivers (any of them could breakout), Allen Bailey.

neko4
03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
-Robert Marve & our receivers (any of them could breakout), Allen Bailey.
they need a good QB first, i dont know too much about marve

princefielder28
03-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Antonio Brown, WR, Central Michigan

The next DeSean Jackson type player

fenikz
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM
they need a good QB first, i dont know too much about marve

4 star prospect #10 QB in his class, i really wish they would of played him some last year, but i think he should break out along with Aldarius Johnson who i think is gonna be a beast and a future 1st rounder, 6'2 200 pounds and runs a 4.45 is ridiculous

Gchu83
03-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Texas

Offense: Vondrell McGee- Will be the #1 back for Texas next season.

Defense: Brian Orakpo- A complete athletic freak that should thrive his senior season under Mushchamp.

Its all about The U
03-27-2008, 04:51 PM
the man in my sig, G Coop, gonna destroy the ACC this year

kwilk103
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
noel devine and terrance kerns---rb
wes lyons----wr
tevita finau---de

YAYareaRB
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Max Hall from BYU had a good season last year. I would like to see what's to come out of him with one season under his belt and a LOADED offense coming back to support him.

neko4
03-27-2008, 05:14 PM
BYU QB's always do good

mat33
03-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Duval Kamara. If Notre Dame have anything resembling an o-line this year, Jimmy Clausen will be finding Kamara all year long.

keylime_5
03-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I wish I could see our 2007 Breakout Player prediction thread. I know probably 90-95% of those guys mentioned probably didn't break out last year.

art vandelay
03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Syracuse - RB Delone Carter. He's coming back from a hip injury that forced him to miss all of last year but he showed in his freshman year that he's a beast and going to be very productive for us.

Turtlepower
03-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I wish I could see our 2007 Breakout Player prediction thread. I know probably 90-95% of those guys mentioned probably didn't break out last year.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10597&highlight=breakout+player

People were way off on some. I laughed at the Louis Holmes mention because I could see that he won't even be drafted.

art vandelay
03-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Well I hit the nail on the head with Joe Fields, not that anyone cares. 'cuse-213 said that he would be a 2nd rounder but he's definitely looking at late rounds/UDFA like I said.

BigJohn98
03-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Bert Reid, Brandon Paul, Taiwan Easterling.

SMoore
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
for penn state i think qb daryll clark is going to have a michael robinson-esque breakout this year, very similar skills and talent.

on the defensive side of the ball, i really like a.j. wallace, word is he lost five pounds and is even quicker, which is scary considering how quick he already was...good size at 6-1, 188 (after shedding five pounds) with terrific speed,quickness, and hips

keylime_5
03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10597&highlight=breakout+player

People were way off on some. I laughed at the Louis Holmes mention because I could see that he won't even be drafted.

Well winslowbodden was right about Wells breaking out, but he wasn't our only weapon on offense considering how surprisingly well the Brians played at WR. Someone said Marcus Freeman which was right, and Lawrence Wilson was gonna break out last year until he broke his leg in a game he had 2 sacks in. I was off on Doug and Coleman but give me a break, I was throwing out some unknown guys.

This year I think Lawrence Wilson, Cam Heyward, Donald Washington, and Anderson Russell break out for the Bucks, though Washington/Heyward/Russell kinda broke out last year, but still weren't all big ten so I put them as eligible for this year to be "breakout players".

TouchdownUSC
03-28-2008, 12:53 AM
For USC:

Sanchez and McKnight are certainly destined to have big seasons next year.

- I think Allen Bradford, RB: will start getting more recognition next year to compliment McKnight's speed with some muscle. The guy has also proven to have good hands as most of his touchdowns so far have actually been catches out of the backfield.
- Shareece Wright, CB: strong and delivers some powerful hits. If he improves in pass coverage next year he should be great.
- Vidal Hazelton, WR: I think he will become the leading receiver for USC, Ecspecially if Sanchez gets the nod because him and Sanchez have linked up well together in the past and I think he has potential to be good.

TouchdownUSC
03-28-2008, 12:54 AM
does kevin riley count? i expect him to be everything longshore was SUPPOSE to be.

i agree. he looked great against airforce.

DawgBone
03-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Carlos Brown, the speedster from Michigan. This offense is tailor-made for a player with his abilities, and from the looks, we aren't going to be throwing too much.

The offense doesnt have an OL and look how RR offensies have started out in the last 3 coaching jobs he has had.

When teams know you wont and maybe even cant throw the ball this year, they will play to stop the run all day, because thats what big ten teams do.

Turtlepower
03-28-2008, 11:38 AM

They are losing their top two WRs...

YAYareaRB
03-28-2008, 11:48 AM
BYU QB's always do good

I'm just saying because this is the most loaded offense from BYU that I've seen in years. Returning all the starting O-Line, starting Wide Receivers, startomg Running Back, and starting Tight End. Max Hall should have a record setting season.

ironman4579
03-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Some guys I like for Michigan:

Brandon Graham, DE-(although he had 8.5 sacks and 3 FF's last year, I think with better conditioning this year he'll be on the field more and put up some impressive numbers)

Jonas Mouton, LB-I've always liked him for some reason.

YAYareaRB
03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
SS Chad Jones, LSU

Definitely gonna be in beast mode next year.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
and they have plenty of talented WR's to replace them.

Giantsfan1080
03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
WR Kenny Britt Rutgers. I'm not sure if he really counts though but I think he's going to make a big name for himself on the national stage.

badgerbacker
03-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I remember my pick for last year was Marlon Lucky. He didn't exactly get a lot of national attention but ran for over 1000 yards and had 75 receptions for over 700 yards.

Hmm, for this year I think I might look for Eric Decker, WR from Minnesota. I know he probably never will get a whole lot of media coverage, but he quietly had a pretty big year last year and I can see him putting up even bigger numbers in 2008.

Another pick, not so out there though, is for DeMarco Murray to become one of the top backs in the nation.

princefielder28
03-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I remember my pick for last year was Marlon Lucky. He didn't exactly get a lot of national attention but ran for over 1000 yards and had 75 receptions for over 700 yards.

Hmm, for this year I think I might look for Eric Decker, WR from Minnesota. I know he probably never will get a whole lot of media coverage, but he quietly had a pretty big year last year and I can see him putting up even bigger numbers in 2008.

Eric Decker is an a$$

badgerbacker
03-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Eric Decker is an a$$Yeah, he stomped Jack Ikegwuonu's nuts. Still a quality receiver though.

Hokie_Pokie08
03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
for VT

defense: Kam Chancellor - going to show that the best safety in the nation resides in blacksburg

offense: Zach Luckett - big, strong receiver emerges from our pack of new wideouts to lead the team in receiving

etk
03-28-2008, 02:15 PM

Incorrect. They are losing their top FIVE receivers: Hawkins, Jackson, Jordan, Stevens & Forsett.

and they have plenty of talented WR's to replace them.

See above reply.....good luck with that.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-28-2008, 02:19 PM
USF WR Taurus Johnson. He's fast, and he can catch, which is always a good combination. Plus, he no longer has the enigma that is is Amarri Jackson in front of him.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Incorrect. They are losing their top FIVE receivers: Hawkins, Jackson, Jordan, Stevens & Forsett.

See above reply.....good luck with that.
Moorah is a good recieving TE and Best has lined up at WR before.They're both good recievers.

P-L
03-29-2008, 01:30 PM
If I had to pick someone from Michigan, I'd pick Brandon Minor. He's been practicing with the first team ever since Carlos Brown got injured. Minor has been unbelievable this Spring, arguably the best player on the whole team this Spring.

OhioState
03-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Lawrence Wilson for OSU, hopefully he stays healthy and can step right in for Vern

Sniper
03-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Lawrence Wilson for OSU, hopefully he stays healthy and can step right in for Vern

He broke his leg this year right?

I think you picked Beanie Wells last year. Hopefully your pick is wrong this time off.

georgiafan
03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
So it's time for my annual prediciton of picking a player that will go on to be star for Georgia. Two years ago I picked Charles Johnson and last year Knowshon Moreno. My pick for this year is LB Rennie Curran, he did make one or two few freshman all american teams so he isn't a complete unknown. Even though he had a million tackles in high school he was only a 3 star player. Do not be tricked by his size, he is strong as a ox. If any of you remember UF was stoped on 4th and 2 when they ran a reverse well he was the guy that made the stop to save the game. Since he is only 5'9 there is a good chance he will be around for 3 more years. He had 53 tackles, 9 TFL, 3 sacks and didn't even see the field the first half of his true freshman year. Do not be surprised if he make 1st team all american next year he is that good.

Another player to keep a eye on is S Rashard Jones who had 57 tackles and 2 interceptions as a backup last year and will be starting full time. He will be a redshirt sophmore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3BpLjNSOSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCsQaqGZCs

I'm trying to find the video of him working out that was on youtube

OhioState
03-29-2008, 09:11 PM
He broke his leg this year right?

I think you picked Beanie Wells last year. Hopefully your pick is wrong this time off.

yeah he had a broken leg but his recovery took longer than expected. He should hopefully be allright for this year though and be the beast he can be

themaninblack
03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I expect Rennie Curran and Geno Atkins to have big years.

M.O.T.H.
03-29-2008, 11:54 PM
WR, Dion Lecorn could be this guy for the Gamecocks...if he can stay out of trouble. Another guy that should really excel is RB Mike Davis.

TigerBait45
03-30-2008, 12:04 AM
SS Chad Jones, LSU

Definitely gonna be in beast mode next year.

Chad Jones is a free safety, I believe, and hes not going to start at either saftey spot from what I can tell. Miles loves him in the Nickel/Dime role. I think 2009 is when he blows it up as a safety..after the logjam at safety loosens up a little bit.

That being said, I think he'll be really productive and on the field a lot..just maybe not at one defined position, so you may well be right anyway. Hes such a versatile athlete they'll line him up all over the place..covering receivers in the slot, blitzing from a safety spot..I wouldn't be shocked to see them play him as a Rover from time to time and let him wreck whoever comes into his zone.

Staying with LSU, I really think Ricky Dixon is about to blow up and establish himself in the WR rotation. And watch out for John Williams. I thought for sure they'd play him at cornerback, but the staff has been working him as a split-end/slot receiver/all-purpose guy a lot in spring and hes excelled because hes crazy explosive

proshoota25
03-30-2008, 12:42 AM
carlos dunlap---- university of florida

toonsterwu
03-30-2008, 12:47 AM
To be honest, I don't see anyone on UVA that will really "breakout". I'd name a RB, but Peerman was looking good last year before getting hurt, and Simpson looked good when he got a shot. With both of them likely to share time, I don't think either one will put up huge numbers. Offensive line was a thought, but really, no one talks about OL breakouts, and furthermore, Monroe/Barker is a well-respected tandem anyways. WR? Maybe, with Ogletree coming back. But unlikely. Phillips is a thought at TE, or Torchia if he wins the job.

Defensively, the only thought would be a DL guy, considering all the losses. I don't expect any of the LB's to do significantly better to constitute a breakout. If I had to take a guess, I'd guess Gottschalk on the DL, but that's borderline. Would any of our secondary pieces be considered breakout possibilities? Perhaps, if one of them, say, Ras-I becomes a shutdown CB.

Then, there's Peter Lalich. I think his passing game vision is ahead of Sewell's, although his overall feel isn't there yet. But with a team that's likely to run a lot early on, I'm not sure if Lalich can really breakout.

So, short of it is, don't know if I see a real breakout candidate at UVA.

Redskins4Bowl26
03-30-2008, 08:01 AM
My team: Tyrod Taylor

Nation: Noel Devine

SKim172
03-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure who, but I'd say one of the RBs at Rutgers will end up having a pretty good season. Mason Robinson, Kordell Young, Jourdan Brooks, and Joe Martinek are all quality guys - running behind a fairly good line with experience and size, probability says one of them should emerge as a decent starter. Spring reports say Robinson and Martinek are impressing.

I really hope that the linebackers step up for RU. Last year's LB corps was decent, but they needed to be more than seat-fillers. There's a good crop of young recruits - hopefully they can step in and be big.

Cigaro
03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Tight ends Weslye Saunders and Jared Cook, as well as receiver Moe Brown for SC all have good chances of breaking out.

Weslye Saunders has greatly improved his catching in the spring, and at 275 pounds and a 4.7 40, he's a match up nightmare. Jared Cook has already proven he can do good things, but yet to be completely dominant. He runs a 4.4 40 and will be up near 250 at seasons beginning. He'll be too fast for linebackers, and too big for many defensive backs. And both are coached by the same coach that produced the physical freak that is Vernon Davis.

Moe Brown should hopefully step into our speed receiver role this season. Kenny McKinnley has pretty good speed, and he's our undoubted #1, but not sub 4.4 like Brown does. With Dion Lecorn being an more physical receiver(not slow), Brown should hopefully become our deep threat. He got better seperation from defensive backs that any one on the team next year, but had a hard time catching. They say thought that in spring he's finally got that under control.

hot route
03-30-2008, 04:43 PM
For Hawaii, I'd say RB Leon Wright-Jackson. Warriors should be running the ball a lot more in the post-June Jones era (and with inexperienced QB/WRs), and Wright-Jackson showed flashes while he adapted to the offense last year. LWJ is a 6'1 runner with good top-end speed, a Nebraska transfer who was a top 25 recruit in high school.

M.O.T.H.
03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Tight ends Weslye Saunders and Jared Cook, as well as receiver Moe Brown for SC all have good chances of breaking out.

Weslye Saunders has greatly improved his catching in the spring, and at 275 pounds and a 4.7 40, he's a match up nightmare. Jared Cook has already proven he can do good things, but yet to be completely dominant. He runs a 4.4 40 and will be up near 250 at seasons beginning. He'll be too fast for linebackers, and too big for many defensive backs. And both are coached by the same coach that produced the physical freak that is Vernon Davis.

Moe Brown should hopefully step into our speed receiver role this season. Kenny McKinnley has pretty good speed, and he's our undoubted #1, but not sub 4.4 like Brown does. With Dion Lecorn being an more physical receiver(not slow), Brown should hopefully become our deep threat. He got better seperation from defensive backs that any one on the team next year, but had a hard time catching. They say thought that in spring he's finally got that under control.

Sweet another Gamecocks fan.

BufFan71
03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Cody Hawkins

threw 19tds and 15ints last year

will an improved offensive line, Darrell Scott, and Josh SMith
i expect 25+td's and no more than 10ints

wiscbadgerfootball
03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Wisconsin- Kyle Jefferson, WR

icantackleclaret
03-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Wisconsin- Kyle Jefferson, WR

I saw this kid in a few games last year and was impressed with what he did. I believe he's from that Glenville pipeline... I agree he could have a break out year.

icantackleclaret
03-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Robert Rose and Thaddeus Gibson will break out this year. I'm hoping that Rose will become a better all around player so that we can bump Heyward inside. D line would be
Wilson Worthington Heyward and Rose. I am guessing that Gibson will win out for Grant's OLB spot.

(question for those who follow Ohio State at all) Could we run a 3-4? I think that would be a good fit for our talent.

Heyward (DE) Denlinger (NT) Worthington(DE)

Wilson(OLB) Laurinaitis (ILB) Freeman(ILB) Rose/Gibson(OLB)

thoughts?

OhioState
03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Robert Rose and Thaddeus Gibson will break out this year. I'm hoping that Rose will become a better all around player so that we can bump Heyward inside. D line would be
Wilson Worthington Heyward and Rose. I am guessing that Gibson will win out for Grant's OLB spot.

(question for those who follow Ohio State at all) Could we run a 3-4? I think that would be a good fit for our talent.

Heyward (DE) Denlinger (NT) Worthington(DE)

Wilson(OLB) Laurinaitis (ILB) Freeman(ILB) Rose/Gibson(OLB)

thoughts?

My first thought is that Freeman is not an ILB in any scheme. I think you would see him outside. We have so many good LB's and i could see a guy like Ross Homan stepping in to any of those spots. I really like what we could do with a 3-4 though since we are so amazingly deep at LB and have solid personel for the d line. I really think Heyward would make a great 3-4 DE

keylime_5
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Our 4-3 functions similar to a 3-4 but you don't need a true NT, we use 2 DTs and a DT-like DE (heyward, Richardson, scott, fraser, patterson, etc.), and then a LEO who is basically a DE who can drop into coverage as a linebacker (gholston, smith, kudla, carpenter, etc.). That is better for the college game than running a 3-4 since 3-4 personnel are a lot harder to find while athletic linebackers like Marcus Freeman, James Laurinaitis, and Cie Grant are a lot easier to find. But by having a LEO who can drop into coverage we disguise our blitzes just as well as a 3-4 defense can in some ways.

And regarding Rose, I think he'll basically be getting about 1/2 as many snaps as Cameron Heyward and Lawrence Wison at DE, so I doubt he breaks out unelss he proves he has the quickness he had as a freshman when he was 270 lbs. and not 290, which was before he had his shoulder injury that caused him to be a nonfactor in 2007. Terry is our starting sam, but Gibson who is a LEO will be a situational pass rusher and I agree that the chances of him being a breakout player this year are very high.

Santonio10
03-31-2008, 11:04 AM
For PSU- RS Freshman Stephon Green. Reported 4.24 forty speed and in PSU's new spread offense the kid is gonna shine

BufFan71
03-31-2008, 11:55 AM
anyone think that Preston Parker from FSU is gonna break out

hes quick as a cat and fast as heck too

moc182
04-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Syracuse - RB Delone Carter. He's coming back from a hip injury that forced him to miss all of last year but he showed in his freshman year that he's a beast and going to be very productive for us.

He's looking very good in Spring Practice. No visible signs of the injury, making really sharp cuts, should be a really solid rb core this year.

reigle9
04-01-2008, 11:39 PM
For PSU- RS Freshman Stephon Green. Reported 4.24 forty speed and in PSU's new spread offense the kid is gonna shine

He's certainly getting the hype, but I wouldn't expect him to get anymore than 25% of the carries barring a Royster injury.

PSU: I don't follow much of the national scene so I don't really know who would be classified a "breakout player". Obviously Mo Evans is a stud and should make an AA team. Off most people's radar, it would be Chris Colasanti who will be the next great PSU LB.

National: I like the DeMarco Murray and Duval Kamara picks. I'll add Auburn RB Ben Tate.

BigJohn98
04-02-2008, 03:38 PM
anyone think that Preston Parker from FSU is gonna break out

hes quick as a cat and fast as heck too

Yes. Also, watch out for Corey Surrency.

themaninblack
04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
In regards to Robert Rose, he is prolly the best defensive end I've ever personally seen play. He's very raw but his ceiling is about as high as anyones. Im really surprised he didn't do well this past year. I'm not an OSU fan but ive been keeping my eye on him.

Also, do you guys know if any of these guys will see playing time this year: Tyler Moeller, Connor Smith, or Eugene Clifford? Clifford I kind of expect because of how highly touted he was(aside from his off the field issues.) Moeller was a straight up animal and so was Connor Smith(in HS).

polishrocket35
04-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Toledo RB DaJuane Collins

Had 636 yards and 7 TD's averaging 6.4 yards per carry last year playing behind Jalen Parmele. He may even be better than Parmele, and Parmele could find himself on a NFL roster next season.

P-L
04-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I think I'm going to change my pick from Brandon Minor to freshman WR Darryl Stonum. Guy has flat out abused any DB that's tried to cover him this Spring. Only thing that is going to stop him from having a huge season is the QB. Right now, both of our QB's suck.

holt_bruce81
04-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Denario Alexander WR Missouri is going to be sick this year.

6'5 215 pounds, tore his ACL last year and is about 80% right now and running in the 4.4s........they call it the "superman surgery" at Mizzou, cuz Maclin had the same knee surgery last year and he went from running in the high 4.3s to now running in the 4.2s

nfrillman
04-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Denario Alexander WR Missouri is going to be sick this year.

6'5 215 pounds, tore his ACL last year and is about 80% right now and running in the 4.4s........they call it the "superman surgery" at Mizzou, cuz Maclin had the same knee surgery last year and he went from running in the high 4.3s to now running in the 4.2s

Speaking of fast guys, how about me. Ahhh, the comedy, but I digest. Seriously though, on Sportscenter they said some Flordia guy ran a 4.24 40 before their spring game, number 8 I think. Is that guy a freshman? How many star recruit was he? Why isn't he at Missouri?

draftguru151
04-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Speaking of fast guys, how about me. Ahhh, the comedy, but I digest. Seriously though, on Sportscenter they said some Flordia guy ran a 4.24 40 before their spring game, number 8 I think. Is that guy a freshman? How many star recruit was he? Why isn't he at Missouri?

Chris Rainey, I'm pretty sure he was a 4 star guy, sophomore.

BigJohn98
04-13-2008, 11:14 AM
nevermind...

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Chris Rainey, I'm pretty sure he was a 4 star guy, sophomore.

Scout.com had Rainey as a 5-star
http://floridastate.scout.com/a.z?s=16&p=8&c=1&nid=1778952

Rivals had him as a 4-star
http://florida.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=36374

coCANES17
04-13-2008, 02:39 PM
I think its finally time for Tray Blackmon to break out. I also think Michael Johnson, the Defensive End from Georgia Tech,will be a Top 10 pick by the end of next season. I also think a whole bunch of Florida Gators are gonna break out; Deonte Thompson, Major Wright just to name a few. And I think 2008 will be dubbed as the year of the Sophomore Running Back. Theres just to many to name. McKnight, Best, Cooper, Devine, McCoy, Murray, etc. If all those kids pan out that will make for a very sick draft class. The ones who are Redshirt Sophs probably will come out next year though. I think Murray, Cooper, and McCoy will be eligible.

keylime_5
04-13-2008, 02:44 PM
In regards to Robert Rose, he is prolly the best defensive end I've ever personally seen play. He's very raw but his ceiling is about as high as anyones. Im really surprised he didn't do well this past year. I'm not an OSU fan but ive been keeping my eye on him.

Also, do you guys know if any of these guys will see playing time this year: Tyler Moeller, Connor Smith, or Eugene Clifford? Clifford I kind of expect because of how highly touted he was(aside from his off the field issues.) Moeller was a straight up animal and so was Connor Smith(in HS).

Robert Rose had a bad shoulder injury last year that he played through, and you can imagine how difficult it is to do what DEs do with a bum shoulder. Plus he was at 6-5/295 last year after playing around 270 as a freshman and the extra weight subtracted from his quickness. I think he'll be better this year when he's healthy and around 285 lbs. as the backup to Heyward. Connor Smith is a great runblocker but sucks in pass pro, he needs to learn that better before he can start at right guard. He should start in 2009. Clifford was destroying in spring practice and showing why he would be a future allamerican safety, but he is rumored to have failed his second drug test and it is unclear but he might be done at tOSU perhaps. Moeller started the jersey scrimmage at SLB and is our fastest linebacker but is only 220 lbs. soaking wet and will be the backup to Curtis Terry this year. He might start in 2009.

Thunder&Lightning
04-13-2008, 04:10 PM

ya coop is going to be mcnasty

bigG
04-21-2008, 02:56 AM
I think Willie Tuitama ( dont know about that spelling) from Arizona will have a big year. He was highly recruited out of highschool and put up solid numbers last year. I think he will be next years version of Andre Woodson. The coaches are probably putting alot of pressure on him because if he doesn't deliver, there will probably be a coaching change.

Turtlepower
04-21-2008, 03:11 AM
I think Willie Tuitama ( dont know about that spelling) from Arizona will have a big year. He was highly recruited out of highschool and put up solid numbers last year. I think he will be next years version of Andre Woodson. The coaches are probably putting alot of pressure on him because if he doesn't deliver, there will probably be a coaching change.

He's had about 20 concussions plus not many offensive weapons.

bigG
04-21-2008, 05:12 AM
He's had about 20 concussions plus not many offensive weapons.

Oh ok. Since you are in that area you probably have better insight then me. I just thought the PAC-10 wouldnt be as strong as it was last year, leaving it open for maybe a darkhorse team to rise up. I saw some Arizona games last year and they lost some close ones. Don't they have a pretty good defensive end coming back next year?

boisefan
04-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Deonte Jackson out of U of I, 1100+ yards as a freshman.

catcher_0_3
04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Well everyone knows about Knowshon and Stafford, so I will give you some names from our defense. Asher Allen, Dannell Ellerbe, and Rennie Curran could all be All-Americans this year. That little trade school down on North Avenue does have a good player that I will give some credit. I said that Phillip Wheeler could very easily be the best LB in this upcoming class. Michael Johnson might be a top 5 pick next year. The kid is a monster.

kiranadwaney
04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
major wright saftey from florida, tough tackling and good covarage skills

Mr. Myogi
04-29-2008, 09:29 AM
It's kinda funny, I searched this blog and no mention of the kid -------ERIC BERRY----- From The Vols. I think he will be utilized more in Tennessee's Special teams and Offensive schemes................ 1st vote for Heisman 2008-2009.

georgiafan
04-29-2008, 09:53 AM
I would say Eric Berry broke out last year

duckseason
04-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Nation- Jeremiah Johnson, people know him but now that he is a starter he should tear up poor Pac 10 defenses. Has shown that he can do everything and should be very sucessful as Oregon finds a quarterback to draw some attention away from him with his arm or his legs.

Nice pick. But look for LaGarrette Blount to take a ton of carries away from him. It'll likely be a very similar situation to last year with Stewart.

And not to start an off-topic argument here, but it's a myth that the Pac-10 plays poor defense. Sure, a portion of the teams in the Pac-10 play sub-par defense from year to year, but that can be said about every conference in the nation. No question that the SEC is the superior defensive conference, but the Pac-10 compares favorably to the likes of the Big10/12/East. There's really not much of an argument to be made for any conference other than the ACC or SEC being better than the Pac-10 on that side of the ball.

duckseason
04-29-2008, 06:27 PM
For Oregon, I'd look for WR Jamere Holland, RB LaGarrette Blount, and QB Nate Costa to really make names for themselves this coming year. Oh and Fenuki Tupou seems to be flying under the radar as a LT prospect.

art vandelay
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
He's looking very good in Spring Practice. No visible signs of the injury, making really sharp cuts, should be a really solid rb core this year.

I expect Delone to have a breakout season. He basically won us the Wyoming game 2 years ago and then shredded UConn later in the season. He has amazing balance and as you said makes great cuts and can break tackles. Here's a video of him from HS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwFntQnWeEQ

The RB depth is crazy as you said with Carter, Curtis Brinkley, Doug Hogue and freshman (#1 recruit in NY) Averin Collier. I really hope that Collier gets redshirted because it would be a waste for him to be our #4 RB and waste his freshman year. Former RB Paul Chiara had to move to safety because he knew he'd never see the field at RB.

ammandss
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
To be honest, I don't see anyone on UVA that will really "breakout". I'd name a RB, but Peerman was looking good last year before getting hurt, and Simpson looked good when he got a shot. With both of them likely to share time, I don't think either one will put up huge numbers. Offensive line was a thought, but really, no one talks about OL breakouts, and furthermore, Monroe/Barker is a well-respected tandem anyways. WR? Maybe, with Ogletree coming back. But unlikely. Phillips is a thought at TE, or Torchia if he wins the job.

Defensively, the only thought would be a DL guy, considering all the losses. I don't expect any of the LB's to do significantly better to constitute a breakout. If I had to take a guess, I'd guess Gottschalk on the DL, but that's borderline. Would any of our secondary pieces be considered breakout possibilities? Perhaps, if one of them, say, Ras-I becomes a shutdown CB.

Then, there's Peter Lalich. I think his passing game vision is ahead of Sewell's, although his overall feel isn't there yet. But with a team that's likely to run a lot early on, I'm not sure if Lalich can really breakout.

So, short of it is, don't know if I see a real breakout candidate at UVA.

What about Clint Sintim? I think he can have a breakout year and collect double digit sacks from the OLB in the 3-4.

tjsunstein
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Auburn Sophomore QB Kodi Burns. I dont think many people know about him but he was highly recruited a few years back. I think the starting spot is his to lose and I can see him having a good year.

Arrelious Benn. Surprisingly enough I have a feeling only a handful of people know who this is. I could be wrong. The kid is special in a sense that hes a playmaker. He kinda broke out already but whatever.

Mark Dell of Michigan State. He takes Devin Thomas' role in the Spartan offense and should excel. He'll be a sophomore so I dont think many people know who this kid is either since he wont be in the 2009 Draft Buzz.

Solomon
05-06-2008, 02:50 AM
It's kinda funny, I searched this blog and no mention of the kid -------ERIC BERRY----- From The Vols. I think he will be utilized more in Tennessee's Special teams and Offensive schemes................ 1st vote for Heisman 2008-2009.

Well I suppose If he challenged for the Heisman next year it would be a breakout year, but most people expect greatness out of him after his fantastic freshman year. He is the best college DB I have seen since Laron Landry.

Danell Ellerbe whom somebody else mentioned, kinda had his breakout year last year too.

My vote: Ryan Reynolds LB Oklahoma

Pittsburghs_finest
05-07-2008, 12:42 AM
From Pitt. Earnest "Mick" Williams. The guy is a monster inside at DT.

Greg Romeus DE from Pitt. He is a raw DE who has all of the tools and has become a force for Pitt. He came to Pitt only playing his senior year of HS football and is now a red shirt sohmore. He is 6 foot 5 255 pounds and a terror on the field.

If Elijah Fields can keep his head on straight he has Sean Taylor like ability at safety.

McCoy and McKillop broke out last year for Pitt so I can't list them.

Sniper
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Arrelious Benn. Surprisingly enough I have a feeling only a handful of people know who this is. I could be wrong. The kid is special in a sense that hes a playmaker. He kinda broke out already but whatever.

Everyone knows Rejus Benn. He was very highly recruited out of HS and made Charlie Weis eat another 300 donuts to drown the sorrows of losing him to Illinois. Then he got Big 10 FOTY.

soybean
05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
i was always a fan of tuitama too bad LSU had to KILL him.

AtariBigby
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
If Mark Sanchez does well, someone at WR for USC has to brek out..... Vidal Hazelton? Patrick Turner will be a senior and I think he could, but I'd bet on Vidal..... he was so highly ranked coming into USC......dude has amazing atheltic ability, reminds me of a young Cris Carter. But he's never put it together for some reason..... but I remember Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith...... he has a chance.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/46/469563.jpg

TigerBait45
05-07-2008, 06:54 PM

I bet he still has nightmares about Laron Landry.

Turtlepower
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Mike Stoops also helped with that.

scottyboy
05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Joe Lefeged- Safety from Rutgers

this kid kills people. He's nuts. youtube him and you'll see him murder the Syracuse QB. He'll establish himself as a fearsome hitter over the middle. Him and Courtney Greene will kill people over the middle

Brent
05-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Daniel Raudabaugh, a friend of mine from HS and now the QB at Miami (OH).

frogman31
07-28-2008, 12:38 AM
For the Sun Devils it will be WR Chris McGaha. This kid could catch anything and after two seasons already has a nice highlight reel.

Nationally, I'll go with Eugene Jarvis from Kent State. He was 5th in rushing last year.

I agree about McGaha. He's going to have an amazing season...as long as he's 100% healed from his toe surgery. Everyone keeps talking about how he's a great, reliable possession receiver, which he is. But they also seem to think he's slow...which he's not! I've witnessed him being clocked at a 4.39 40, and his average is a 4.56, which is the same as Mike Jones. Pretty ironic since everything you read on Jones talks about how fast he is and that's why he's the deep threat. I've heard they'll be running some new plays for McGaha that will showcase his ability to be more than a "possession receiver". In fact Coach Erickson recently told a reporter that McGaha is one of the most talented receivers he's ever coached (which includes Terrell Owens). Here's another quote from Erickson..."Chris McGaha made some incredible catches last season, because he has great hand-eye coordination...People think he's a possession receiver, but he also has great speed and can be an intermediate receiver and can also be a deep threat. The majority of his catches went for first downs and he did an excellent job of making key plays at big moments."

People also get caught up in the fact that McGaha only had 1 TD last season, which might make some think he doesn't do well in the red zone. When the real truth is that the one TD he had against Texas was just about the only time Carpenter threw to him in the red zone. You can't get TD's if the ball doesn't come to you! He was open numerous times, he just didn't get the ball. I've also seen him open several times on deep routes, but again Carpenter chose to go somewhere else (or got sacked!). Hopefully they've resolved some of the O line problems and Carpenter will have more time to make decisions and find open WR, including McGaha. I predict VERY good things from him in 2008!

frogman31
07-28-2008, 12:39 AM

I agree about McGaha. He's going to have an amazing season...as long as he's 100% healed from his toe surgery. Everyone keeps talking about how he's a great, reliable possession receiver, which he is. But they also seem to think he's slow...which he's not! I've witnessed him being clocked at a 4.39 40, and his average is a 4.56, which is the same as Mike Jones. Pretty ironic since everything you read on Jones talks about how fast he is and that's why he's the deep threat. I've heard they'll be running some new plays for McGaha that will showcase his ability to be more than a "possession receiver". In fact Coach Erickson recently told a reporter that McGaha is one of the most talented receivers he's ever coached (which includes Terrell Owens). Here's another quote from Erickson..."Chris McGaha made some incredible catches last season, because he has great hand-eye coordination...People think he's a possession receiver, but he also has great speed and can be an intermediate receiver and can also be a deep threat. The majority of his catches went for first downs and he did an excellent job of making key plays at big moments."

People also get caught up in the fact that McGaha only had 1 TD last season, which might make some think he doesn't do well in the red zone. When the real truth is that the one TD he had against Texas was just about the only time Carpenter threw to him in the red zone. You can't get TD's if the ball doesn't come to you! He was open numerous times, he just didn't get the ball. I've also seen him open several times on deep routes, but again Carpenter chose to go somewhere else (or got sacked!). Hopefully they've resolved some of the O line problems and Carpenter will have more time to make decisions and find open WR, including McGaha. I predict VERY good things from him in 2008!

frogman31
07-28-2008, 12:45 AM

thebow305
07-28-2008, 11:58 AM

Very nice, I like that pick

I think Allen Bailey will also break out this year for us. Will be one of the top Defensive Ends, if not the top, heading into '09.

I also think Mark Sanchez will break out and become a legit 1st round pick.