PDA

View Full Version : 1st Pick of the Draft.

jivixzoner
02-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Chargers will pick up Michael Griffen.

Cerni88
02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
i say we pick up a middle linebacker.

jivixzoner
02-25-2007, 10:28 PM
i say we pick up a middle linebacker.

I don't think we can rely on kiel anymore.

TheChampIsHere
02-26-2007, 12:54 AM
How about Sidney Rice or another WR?

CC.SD
02-26-2007, 07:01 PM
It's beginning to look like Dwayne Jarrett might be there at 30. How awesome would that be? Forget 40 times, any game film will show you that DJ is a big game player.

San Diego Chicken
02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
How about Sidney Rice or another WR?

Rather not have Rice. I'd much rather have Jason Hill right now. We need some big play recievers to complement VJ. Hill's a polished reciever, but also a home run hitting deep threat.

As far as Safety, lets see how Griffin and Weddle work out. I've said I really like Weddle personally, but we'll see how they work out. You could throw Meriweather into that group as well.

San Diego Chicken
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
It's beginning to look like Dwayne Jarrett might be there at 30. How awesome would that be? Forget 40 times, any game film will show you that DJ is a big game player.

I'll believe Jarrett is falling that far when I see it. Considering the USC influence in Tennessee, if he is there, the Titans would take him I think. He's just too good of a player to fall that far.

sdpads24
02-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Right now, either Jarret, Meachem, or Griffen. Hopefully they are all there. Meachem probably won't be after his 4.35 40 at the combine

BoltHype
02-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Meachem would be a dream, but we will look real hard at the available wideouts.

I guy I really like in round 2 is Safety Josh Gattis, and hopefully we can pick up a guard like Manny Ramirez in round 3.

San Diego Chicken
02-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Here's the other thing, we could have as many as five day one picks, depending on what happens with Turner, and possibly two first rounders. That's alot of ammo for a trade-up. I know that's not AJ's style, but if a guy like Landry or even Ginn could be obtained via trade up, that's a possibility that he needs to explore.

sdpads24
02-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Meachem would be a dream, but we will look real hard at the available wideouts.

I guy I really like in round 2 is Safety Josh Gattis, and hopefully we can pick up a guard like Manny Ramirez in round 3.

Gattis? Are you kidding me? He shouldn't be a day one pick. I don't think he could ever be a starter for anyone. A typical backup/special teams player. I would rather have Rouse,Wendling,White, Weddle, Meriweather. Ramirez probably won't last untill the 3rd

BoltHype
02-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Gattis? Are you kidding me? He shouldn't be a day one pick. I don't think he could ever be a starter for anyone. A typical backup/special teams player. I would rather have Rouse,Wendling,White,Weddle, Weddle, Meriweather. Ramirez probably won't last untill the 3rd

yes gattis. didnt get the hype coming from a smaller school, but the dude can play and has the size we need, not to mention high-character, smart, and a leader. oh and also all-acc with 70+ tackles and 5 INTs in each of his last two seasons.

BoltHype
02-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Here's the other thing, we could have as many as five day one picks, depending on what happens with Turner, and possibly two first rounders. That's alot of ammo for a trade-up. I know that's not AJ's style, but if a guy like Landry or even Ginn could be obtained via trade up, that's a possibility that he needs to explore.

i would rather hang on to Turner for one more year and guarantee that we have a strong offensive backfield. we dont have as many holes on the team that we NEED two first rounders. it would be nice, sure, but unless we can trade turner for a top 15 pick, I'd rather keep him.

San Diego Chicken
02-26-2007, 08:19 PM
i would rather hang on to Turner for one more year and guarantee that we have a strong offensive backfield. we dont have as many holes on the team that we NEED two first rounders. it would be nice, sure, but unless we can trade turner for a top 15 pick, I'd rather keep him.

The problem is, do you keep him for 2007 as a luxury and let him walk next year for nothing? Or get what you can for him now? I'm a big Turner fan and he's been a key part of our running game. But the guy is going to probably be offered starters money, and a first rounder could be obtained in the exchange.

Turner doesn't really have much long term value for the Chargers, because he is gone no matter what after 07. But a first round pick has lots of long term value, and the team was built from the ground up by having lots of day one draft picks.

BoltHype
02-26-2007, 08:23 PM
The problem is, do you keep him for 2007 as a luxury and let him walk next year for nothing? Or get what you can for him now? I'm a big Turner fan and he's been a key part of our running game. But the guy is going to probably be offered starters money, and a first rounder could be obtained in the exchange.

Turner doesn't really have much long term value for the Chargers, because he is gone no matter what after 07. But a first round pick has lots of long term value, and the team was built from the ground up by having lots of day one draft picks.

With Norv Turner as the new head coach, there will be tremendous pressure for the Chargers to start fast in 2007. Getting to the playoffs and making some noise once there is the expectation in San Diego, and all eyes will be on AJ Smith and Norv Turner. With all weight of the entire football worldís eyes on the Chargersí backs, I donít think AJ Smith can afford to let a known commodity and consistent performer leave the team right now. I see Turner coming back for one more season, intrigued by the possibility of becoming more involved in the offense with Norv at the helm.

Letís also acknowledge the fact that while Tomlinson is Superman-like, the threat of injury is still very real. Mike Turner is extremely familiar with the system and is more than capable of handling the load should LT go down for an extended period of time. Keeping Mike for one more season fits another one of AJ Smithís themes of having capable backups in place in case of injury. Sproles clearly isnít an every-down back and shouldnít be relied on to handle the backup duties exclusively.

SDSupaChargers
02-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Realistically from the choices I think might be available I would say Griffin and Rice are my top two for us to pick with our first rounder. If they are gone then Weddle or Meriweather. And by all means, if somehow Ginn or Jarrett drop then we should definitely get them.

bantx
02-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Meachem will most likely get picked up by cowboys or something, and even if they pass him up he'll get picked up, can't go wrong with a fast 6'3 WR.

JoeMontainya
02-27-2007, 06:51 PM
"Forget 40 times, any game film will show you that DJ is a big game player."

Much like Mike Williams. But he proved sometimes a 40 does matter, because he cant even get seperation from some LB's. And its different for Williams because he has the strength to do so, DJ doesnt.

i gaurantee 3rd downs will be an improvement.

bantx
03-01-2007, 08:38 PM

WTF i swore i started this thread weakkkkk

CC.SD
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
With Norv Turner as the new head coach, there will be tremendous pressure for the Chargers to start fast in 2007. Getting to the playoffs and making some noise once there is the expectation in San Diego, and all eyes will be on AJ Smith and Norv Turner. With all weight of the entire football world’s eyes on the Chargers’ backs, I don’t think AJ Smith can afford to let a known commodity and consistent performer leave the team right now. I see Turner coming back for one more season, intrigued by the possibility of becoming more involved in the offense with Norv at the helm.

Let’s also acknowledge the fact that while Tomlinson is Superman-like, the threat of injury is still very real. Mike Turner is extremely familiar with the system and is more than capable of handling the load should LT go down for an extended period of time. Keeping Mike for one more season fits another one of AJ Smith’s themes of having capable backups in place in case of injury. Sproles clearly isn’t an every-down back and shouldn’t be relied on to handle the backup duties exclusively.

I don't believe that AJ Smith's plan entails making a championship run having spent our 1st rounder on a WR. Rookies typically don't contribute that much at WR, and that's not what this team needs. I think he's got a trade or a free agent target in mind for this team, and that we end up with a 1st round safety.

And just because BMW busted doesn't mean Jarrett will. Believe it or not, they are different people.

JK17
03-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Personally, I am hoping the Chargers go for Michael Griffin at 30, assuming it is their only draft pick. With the 1st and 3rd tender on MT it is unlikely a team will pony up those two picks, but a trade could still be worked out if reasonable. In such a case I would not be opposed to drafting a WR in the first round also, but I think Grififn is a much bigger impact player in his first year. The main thing I have against the WR argument is that recievers need 3 years before they break out, typicallyand if we draft a WR we are saying that VJ might not get that chance to break out. Before we panic on the WR situation it is important to realize that we have a strong young WR in VJ, and a TE who is a viable #1 option. For that reason I think it more important, and more reasonable to take an impact player like Griffin in the first, and get a WR to stretch the field later in the draft.

Oh and for the if Jarret falls to 30 argument, nothing personal against him, and he can blossom into a great WR. But its a fact that he is big and slow. Well not fact, the rumor is he will struggle to break into the 4.6's. While I know a reciever is more than just his 40 time, the Chargers have all the big physical WR's they need. The only realistic reciever I would be interested in in round 1 would be Meachem, the rest are either too much of what we aready have , or will never fall to 30.

myinnerself
03-02-2007, 02:31 AM
If we lose Dielman don't be surprised if we get Grubbs in the first. I love the Safeties in this class, and really would want any of the following: Meriweather, Griffin, Nelson, Piscitelli, Rouse, Weddle, and Wendling. I truly believe we will land one of them, which is exciting. I think we also pick up a receiver on the first day.

BoltHype
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't believe that AJ Smith's plan entails making a championship run having spent our 1st rounder on a WR. Rookies typically don't contribute that much at WR, and that's not what this team needs. I think he's got a trade or a free agent target in mind for this team, and that we end up with a 1st round safety.

And just because BMW busted doesn't mean Jarrett will. Believe it or not, they are different people.

it all depends on who is there. If you heard AJ Smith's press conference yesterday, he made it clear that the WR corp is going to be upgraded.

its a deep safety class so we dont HAVE to take one in the first. it all depends on who is there when we pick.

bantx
03-06-2007, 08:17 PM
WR will be upgraded hopefully in FA and maybe draft a WR 2-3 round. Drafting a WR at #30 doesnt make sense, so pick up a fairly good vet, tutor the young WR and let him grow.

BoltHype
03-06-2007, 08:23 PM
WR will be upgraded hopefully in FA and maybe draft a WR 2-3 round. Drafting a WR at #30 doesnt make sense, so pick up a fairly good vet, tutor the young WR and let him grow.

who is there in the FA market???

DonWoods33
03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
who is there in the FA market???

Slim Pickins? He was hurt last year, but has some monster tools. Seriously though. Pray for Dewayne Bowe.

bantx
03-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Troy brown is restricted free agents, donte stallworth i dont know if he signed yet but it says it in the site im looking at.

BoltHype
03-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Troy brown is restricted free agents, donte stallworth i dont know if he signed yet but it says it in the site im looking at.

exactly, there isnt anybody out there. we resigned floyd today.

San Diego Chicken
03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Kevin Curtis wants to play here, but I don't think we've shown him any interest at all.

defensiveback23
03-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I don't think we even consider an ILB on the first day of the draft. Coop and Wilhelm were not given 5 year deals worth starterís money to ride the bench. I bet we draft an OLB higher than an ILB because we need more depth there other than Harris.

I think we will definitely draft a WR and S on the first day along with some offensive and defensive line depth. I read on another website that the Chargers were very interested in Josh Gattis for SS and Kareem Brown to move to DE.

As far as WR I think we may just end up drafting the best possible guy left. I like Bowe and Jarrett but neither of them fit what we need. They are both big possession receivers, which we already have plenty of. A fast deep threat and a guy who can get big yardage after the catch is what we need.

ChefMike
03-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Well if your smart with a young team I would try and stockpile a pick or 2 and trade down into the early part of the 2nd round like with San Fran or with Miami and pick up another pick on day 2 or late day 1 next year. Reciever has a lot of players that arent worth 1st round unless Dwayne Jarrett is there. Or with all of the RB's you could draft a back up to LT and trade Michael Turner and #30 to a team like Green Bay who might over value him and allow you to move up and pick up another pick on Day 2 then you could pick Robert Meacham or someone like Patrick Willis....

etk
03-14-2007, 08:04 PM

I didn't know it was so easy to predict the 30th pick in the draft. Wow you must be a psychic or something

ChefMike
03-20-2007, 12:09 AM
I think your move is utilizing what you have in young depth... and everyone is coveting it ! easy to find a vet or a young back up to LT... Trade Turner and the #30 to someone looking for a RB and get a top flight WR or Patrick Willis or maybe a LaRon Landry if he falls...

bergo23
03-20-2007, 04:28 AM
I am hoping that Landry falls past Atlanta at #10, then he should be there at #12 when the Bills pick. AJ picks up the phone and talks with his old buddy Marv Levy....the Bills decide Turner is a better answer than Marshawn Lynch, and BAM we get the best safety in the draft!!!! Our #30 and Turner should be plenty to move up to #12.

We address WR, OLine and ILB/DLine with our other 4 day 1 picks (I expect we will get two 3rd rounders for losing Brees, and the other free agents who left and contributed to other teams like Leber and Reche Caldwell).

2007 is gonna be remembered as the draft when AJ trades up for the first time in his young career as GM to get the safety we need to win a Lombardi!!! In this scenario I also would take Nelson, although that is more of a reach at #12 than Landry.

JK17
03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I am hoping that Landry falls past Atlanta at #10, then he should be there at #12 when the Bills pick. AJ picks up the phone and talks with his old buddy Marv Levy....the Bills decide Turner is a better answer than Marshawn Lynch, and BAM we get the best safety in the draft!!!! Our #30 and Turner should be plenty to move up to #12.

We address WR, OLine and ILB/DLine with our other 4 day 1 picks (I expect we will get two 3rd rounders for losing Brees, and the other free agents who left and contributed to other teams like Leber and Reche Caldwell).

2007 is gonna be remembered as the draft when AJ trades up for the first time in his young career as GM to get the safety we need to win a Lombardi!!! In this scenario I also would take Nelson, although that is more of a reach at #12 than Landry.

I do see a trade up possibly brewing out of AJ, but it would be more likely he tries to get Nelson than Landry, Landry would cost the team way too much to attain, though I wish there was some way we could get him. Also I doubt it would be the 12 pick we target, as that may be a little to early for Nelson, but you never know. As for the comp picks though, I have a feeling it won't be as much as everyone expects. I would expect a 3rd rounder for Brees, and a 6th or so for Caldwell. Leber played well for Minn, but he is cancelled out by the addition of McCree, not to mention there were a good number of other teams worthy of comp picks as well.

Thunder&Lightning
03-21-2007, 08:41 AM
it would be a gift from god if meachem fell to the 30th pick, cant go wrong with a 6"3 4.39 40 guy who put up dirty numbers in college. if he doesnt fall they should look to the griffin cuz i cant trust drafting DJ who could be one of the slower recievers in the draft. The chargers already have a big guy with VJ they need a speedster now.

zdh87
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Rather not have Rice. I'd much rather have Jason Hill right now. We need some big play recievers to complement VJ. Hill's a polished reciever, but also a home run hitting deep threat.

As far as Safety, lets see how Griffin and Weddle work out. I've said I really like Weddle personally, but we'll see how they work out. You could throw Meriweather into that group as well.

I'd rather us have Robert Meachem then Sidney Rice. We need someone to stretch the field and Robert Meachem is the fastest after Teddy Ginn, Jr. I don't think that they will draft a MLB b/c I think they re-signed Stephen Cooper and Matt Wilhelm to long term deals. They are confident in their backups due to previous success (Shaun Phillips, Phillip Rivers, Kris Dielman). They are confident in each player, they draft and expect each player to contribute. If they go DEF then it will be S b/c of Terrence Kiel inability to cover the pass and stay out of jail.

San Diego Chicken
03-21-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd rather us have Robert Meachem then Sidney Rice. We need someone to stretch the field and Robert Meachem is the fastest after Teddy Ginn, Jr. I don't think that they will draft a MLB b/c I think they re-signed Stephen Cooper and Matt Wilhelm to long term deals. They are confident in their backups due to previous success (Shaun Phillips, Phillip Rivers, Kris Dielman). They are confident in each player, they draft and expect each player to contribute. If they go DEF then it will be S b/c of Terrence Kiel inability to cover the pass and stay out of jail.

Oh without a doubt. For me, Meachem is my #2 receiver behind Calvin Johnson and I mocked him as high as #11 to the 49ers. Needless to say I would be ecstatic if Meachem fell to the Chargers, but I dont think it will happen. Ginn Jr. could, could fall. His stock seems to be dropping with all these defensive players moving up.

bergo23
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
It would be interesting if we got Tennessee's #19 again, but he won't be another CRO!!!!

bantx
04-03-2007, 09:47 PM
i still just think we need to stay where we are at and get the best safty there is left.

JK17
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
i still just think we need to stay where we are at and get the best safty there is left.

What if the top four (some combination of Landry/Nelson/Griffin/Merriweather) are all gone though. I know that's not likely but it could happen. Would you want to reach for another safety, take another position, or trade down? Drafting based on need doesn't seem like something I think AJ would do though, rather BPA, so I don't know if being deadset on a safety is a good thing (although it's something I would want depending on the caliber player)

bantx
04-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Its something we need i know we need some work on WR position but imo its the secondary that needs more work. So pick up the next best safty left.

JK17
04-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Its something we need i know we need some work on WR position but imo its the secondary that needs more work. So pick up the next best safty left.

I agree on the secondary needing the most work (I trust Mccree but none of our other safeties right now) but in a situation like that, I would like to see a trade down if possible, we could still pick up the same next safety but lower down, and get who knows out of it, but with AJ picking that could turn into a probowler.