PDA

View Full Version : Sophomore Slump!

no love
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Who gets it?

I am going to say Dwayne Bowe, just a lot of things going against him. Inexperience at CB, questionable offensive line play and a division FULL of top notch cover guys (Bly, Bailey, Hall, Asomugha, Cro, etc).

Its all about The U
03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
i agree with that one another guy i think will see his number decrease alot is Patrick Willis, he actually has some teammates who can tackle around him

DawgBone
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Almost all RB's have a sophmore slump. I think now that teams are aware of Adrien Peterson they will do everything to stop him since they have no QB to take the pressure away.

He will have a slump IMO.

Young Legend
03-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Dwayne Bowe..You have to worry about Second year WR's who had a big Rookie Year..And I dont think his QB is gonna help all that much.

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 07:14 PM
im going to agree with bowe too. sorry chiefs fans...i just dont see him doing well this next year. down the line i think he'll be a stud but theres just not much else in that offense to be happy about.

one guy i DONT think will be slumping is marshawn lynch. he may actually have some better consistancy at QB this year if edwards is in all year and that team has some decent receivers already in evans and parrish and could add another via the draft. i think he might do even better this year if the offense works around him.

art vandelay
Almost all RB's have a sophmore slump. I think now that teams are aware of Adrien Peterson they will do everything to stop him since they have no QB to take the pressure away.

Nobody can stop Marshawn Lynch when he's in...

BEAST MODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWKEJqkKLcs

princefielder28
Bowe is the way to go

bored of education
I am afraid to say D Bowe and it wont be his fault

jetsfan0099
03-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Bowe, hes the next Michael Clayton.

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 07:20 PM

wow, idk about that......i happen to like bowe in the long run, but the rest of that offense is all question marks this year. i think one down year and then he outta bounce back

art vandelay
03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/football/nfl/10/10/rookie.bowe/p1_bowe.jpg

Bowe calling Scott Wright right now to get this thread locked...he's being ripped a new one...jeez.

no love
03-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Yah, actually the thoughts "what happened to Michael Clayton??" crossed my mind when I typed in Dwayne Bowe.

But I am surprised this is so unanimous, seeing has how gaudy Peterson and Willis' stats are.

03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Bowe will be shut down for atleast two games a year now. ;)
If Bowe goes downhill next season it won't be because of the QB or O-Line situation but LJ.

MooshooGawd
03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm going to go with Adrian Peterson.

He's going to be the number 1 pick in every fantasy football leauge this year. The expectations are going to be huge! I just think he'll have a drop in production and not live up to what most are expecting of him.

neko4
03-27-2008, 07:27 PM
James Jones
We'll run the ball more im sure
Rodgers isnt quite as good as Favre in his old age
If we draft a TE early we'll go more 2 TE sets than 3 WR sets i bet

GB12
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Because teams were'nt aware of him last year?

:rolleyes:

Thunder&Lightning
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
I gotta go with Bowe. Because of his position WR's usually are inconsistent and and his team doesnt have the best QB situation as of right now.

BaLLiN
03-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I really dont want to say Bowe, but the DBs in that divison are pretty good.

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 07:33 PM
i want to know what the people who've said lynch think. defend their pick.

sure its very possible that he slumps, but why moreso than AP or bowe?

DawgBone
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Because teams were'nt aware of him last year?

:rolleyes:

Ya after teams figured him out look at his stats from the last 6 games he played in last year.....

280 rushing yards in the last 6 games....Hes lucky he got to play Detroit in that span and had a 116 yard game.

Teams knew the Viks couldnt win a game passing it so they most likely spend there time studying more game film on AP.

Did you know that excluding the Chicago and Chargers game AP was just an average back all year.

Minus those 2 games and the 2 he missed from injury here were his overall stats....

12 games - 816 yards 6 TD's, that equals 65 rush yards a game. Not pro bowl caliber IMO.

12 games = 816 6 TD
2 games = 520 yards 6 TD

skinzzfan25
03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I selected Peterson.

As the season got longer, his yards came by fewer and fewer. In the last 8 weeks he had 1 game over 100 yards (2 weeks injured). Teams were figuring them out and putting 8 in the box.

If the Vikings are going to win this season, it's going to come by the arm of Jackson. And of course, Chester Taylor will demand carries as well.

keylime_5
03-27-2008, 07:40 PM
I think the only way Peterson has one is if he gets hurt...because Chester Taylor will take a lot of pressure off of AD and Peterson is probably the most gifted back in the league.

bored of education
03-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Joe Thomas. Overrated!

Chucky
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Joe Thomas. Overrated!

I agree, I see a big Sopmore slump for him.

T-RICH49
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Dwayne Bowe wants me to tell you all to prepare to eat a massive plate of crow

DawgBone
03-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Joe Thomas. Overrated!

You tell me how he is overrated ok? Its possible for anyone to have a slump, but to say he was overrated is ignorant.

(I apologize if this was a horrible atempt at sarcasm)

art vandelay
03-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Joe Thomas. Overrated!

I sense sarcasm...although with you you never know, lol.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
There's a couple ways to look at this. Bowe was pretty decent even for the Chiefs when they sucked last year, but his numbers could definitely fall off.

Would it be a sophomore slump if Peterson went down with an injury again and didn't come back full strength like last year?

bored of education
03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
: 0. Me? sarcastic?

DeathbyStat
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
i agree with that one another guy i think will see his number decrease alot is Patrick Willis, he actually has some teammates who can tackle around him

Just because his numbers go down doesn't mean he won't make an impact.

I could see injuries getting the best of Adrian Petterson

The Legend
03-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Chris Houston i think is going to have a bad year, feel like he will be getting pick on

SMoore
03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
I would have to say Peterson just because it's hard to follow up the type of year that he had. He will be taking all the attention of the defense and i think the vikings offense as a whole will improve but Peterson's stats will suffer.

vidae
03-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Bowe put up good numbers for us when we had a non-existant offensive line and one of our bigger weapons, LJ, was hurt. If our line is fixed, I think he can be solid.

Having said that, I will agree that out of all the names I'd probably pick Bowe too, but I don't think it's going to be a very big drop off in production, probably less than you all think. It all depends on how we draft. If we fix our offensive line, LJ comes back 100% and we draft a WR threat to take the pressure off of Bowe, I think he will be just fine.

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 08:28 PM
who keeps voting lynch? im curious as to why they think that...

bored of education
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
I have no idea. I think he will actually do better than last year. He was solid and only got better as the year went on. I think he does better

DawgBone
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
who keeps voting lynch? im curious as to why they think that...

IMO Lynch only had 2 good/above average games all year. I think he can only build on the season he had.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Bowe's in the crappiest situation so he gets my vote.
After that its AD.

TheBuffaloBills
03-27-2008, 09:38 PM
I wonder if Trent Edwards is going to have a slump? Hopefully not.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-27-2008, 09:39 PM
i'll say Peterson because he still has a crappy passing game until proven otherwise, and he set the bar so high this year that an injury and stacked defenses will make an impact. He is the Vikings gamebreaker, you know you gotta stop it.

Bowe isn't helped by the stacked CBs in the division, but the only real new addition this year is Hall and the QB situation can't get to much worse from this year, plus a hopefully better run game......i stick with AD

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I have no idea. I think he will actually do better than last year. He was solid and only got better as the year went on. I think he does better

i know. if trent edwards just brings some consistancy to the starting QB spot, i think that whole team might improve. Lynch might be in a better situation than bowe or even AP.

its possible that he slumps, but i dont think its as big of chance as bowe or AP

BamaFalcon59
03-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Adrian Peterson. I wouldn't say a bad season, but a slump. Like 1,200-1,300 yards rushing.

JT Jag
03-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Adrian Peterson.

I see him accumulating about 800 yards and 7 or so TDs in 10 games... but just 10 games because of a pair of injury outings due to one injury that gets reaggravated later.

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Adrian Peterson.

I see him accumulating about 800 yards and 7 or so TDs in 10 games... but just 10 games because of a pair of injury outings due to one injury that gets reaggravated later.

wow thats...awfully specific, lol

JT Jag
03-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Adrian Peterson.

I see him accumulating about 800 yards and 7 or so TDs in 10 games... but just 10 games because of a pair of injury outings due to one injury that gets reaggravated later.wow thats...awfully specific, lolHonestly, I see Adrian Peterson as the next Fred Taylor.

Awesome talent. Frequent injuries early on until he settles down.

fenikz
03-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Chris Houston i think is going to have a bad year, feel like he will be getting pick on

don't think you can slump much more than he did

agianst the Cardinals Boldin had something like 12 catches and 180 yards on him

SuperMcGee
03-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I wonder if Trent Edwards is going to have a slump? Hopefully not.

Edwards played half a season of a simplified offense. I'm not expecting big things, but I don't think there's as much room to slump as there is to grow.

CC.SD
03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
LOL, so much Bowe hate. I think the guy explodes this year.

Geo
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Honestly, I see Adrian Peterson as the next Fred Taylor.

Awesome talent. Frequent injuries early on until he settles down.
Maybe not though, look how durable Freddy T has been since he started taking great care of his body and being a better pro some years ago. If AD takes care of himself early on, which I think he is, hopefully he can benefit from that in durability as well. That and the Vikings wisely trying to limit his workload some, hopefully he never exceeds 370 formulated carries (if you believe in that number).

Every runningback is going to get nicked up as the season wears on, it's the nature of the position.

I do worry about Marshawn Lynch because of the potential workload, the Bills really worked him as a rookie and more importantly the guy took on so many hits and physical play as a tenacious back, but the emergence of Fred Jackson may help him and the team out in that regard.

Turtlepower
03-27-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm saying AD because I believe he will spend more time injured than in games.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-27-2008, 11:17 PM
LOL, so much Bowe hate. I think the guy explodes this year.
Nobody hates Bowe its just that hes in the crappiest situation of all of these players.

TheGreatEscape
03-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Maybe I'm putting too much faith in Travaris Jackson but I think he'll be much better next year, he was improving last year and with Berrian he has a go to guy, which will help Rice aswell. If the vikes passing game can make teams stay honest against the pass I think AD will match his numbers from last year and I think he'll steal more premium carries from Taylor.

LonghornsLegend
03-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Ya after teams figured him out look at his stats from the last 6 games he played in last year.....

280 rushing yards in the last 6 games....Hes lucky he got to play Detroit in that span and had a 116 yard game.

Teams knew the Viks couldnt win a game passing it so they most likely spend there time studying more game film on AP.

Did you know that excluding the Chicago and Chargers game AP was just an average back all year.

Minus those 2 games and the 2 he missed from injury here were his overall stats....

12 games - 816 yards 6 TD's, that equals 65 rush yards a game. Not pro bowl caliber IMO.

12 games = 816 6 TD
2 games = 520 yards 6 TD

LOL yea lets just not count those 2 games even though in one he broke the all time rushing record and had over 200+ in both games, but yea lets just not count those two:rolleyes:

TheGreatEscape
03-27-2008, 11:40 PM

What? Jamaal Anderson will get better with a full offseason withAbraham, improving the pass rush and with Hall out of Atlanta teams will be picking on which ever poor sob is lining up opposite him.

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Nobody hates Bowe its just that hes in the crappiest situation of all of these players.

agreed. im actually rooting for the guy but out of all of them, hes in the biggest predicament....

TheGreatEscape
03-27-2008, 11:48 PM
i know. if trent edwards just brings some consistancy to the starting QB spot, i think that whole team might improve. Lynch might be in a better situation than bowe or even AP.

its possible that he slumps, but i dont think its as big of chance as bowe or AP

Edwards was pretty consistent when he played, having very few wtf? plays, by keeping it very conservative. If he is ready for them to open up the passing game and they add a big possession receiver the bills passing game will be significantly better and Marshawn will get more room to beast, his stats weren't great but he was so filthy at getting the absolute most out of each carry, like the pittsburgh game where the outside got cut off so he cut it inside and juked through the middle to not only get back to the LOS but also gain a few yards, this was in the redzone and steelers had bodies galore coming up.

BeerBaron
03-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Edwards was pretty consistent when he played, having very few wtf? plays, by keeping it very conservative. If he is ready for them to open up the passing game and they add a big possession receiver the bills passing game will be significantly better and Marshawn will get more room to beast, his stats weren't great but he was so filthy at getting the absolute most out of each carry, like the pittsburgh game where the outside got cut off so he cut it inside and juked through the middle to not only get back to the LOS but also gain a few yards, this was in the redzone and steelers had bodies galore coming up.

i wasnt talking about edwards actual play per se, i was talking more along the lines of just having 1 QB in there all year as opposed to constantly switching in and out with losman.

i think that sometimes, even if the QB you have in there isnt doing so great, just keeping the same guy in there will do wonders for team chemistry. i think that consistancy is as important as anything

PACKmanN
03-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Patrick Willis, it wont be a slump, but I just don't see him putting up the same amount of numbers he did as this year.

TheGreatEscape
03-28-2008, 12:00 AM
i wasnt talking about edwards actual play per se, i was talking more along the lines of just having 1 QB in there all year as opposed to constantly switching in and out with losman.

i think that sometimes, even if the QB you have in there isnt doing so great, just keeping the same guy in there will do wonders for team chemistry. i think that consistancy is as important as anything

If Losman throws another pass for the bills I'll have a very tough choice on my hands, I'll either have to mock all of the bills fans around here, or I'll have to stop them from burning all of their possessions as a sacrifice to the sports gods.

vidae
03-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Bowe is in a pretty bad situation but he was 5 yards short of 1,000 with a horrible offensive line and two different QBs that couldn't stay on their feet.

If we can, uh, what's that word that offensive lineman are supposed to do that ours didn't? Oh yeah, if we can passblock, he should put up bigger numbers.

What I really hate is now every team we face twice a year (division rivals) have insanely good CB tandems. Deangelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha for the Raiders, Dre Bly and Champ for the Broncos and Cromartie and Jammer for the Chargers.. I mean, wtf is this?! :(

neko4
03-28-2008, 01:10 AM
well, Bowe will have to makeup for it the other 10 games of the year. Lets see the CB's for KC's other opponets

Buffalo- Terrence McGee right, if Bowe is as good as we think he is he should win this battle
New England- Ewww
Miami- If he puts up 200 yards he might gett 1000 on the year thanks to this game
NY Jets- Average game
New Orleans- Average game
Atlanta- Another big makeup game for him
Tampa Bay- Tough game against vet CB
Carolina- Another tough game

So basically if he gets like 450 yards against ATL and MIA he could get back up to 1000

ninerfan
03-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Patrick Willis, it wont be a slump, but I just don't see him putting up the same amount of numbers he did as this year.

Willis wont slump (he's a pro who wont get a big head) but he wont have to be all over the field (hopefully). Teams will target him but that should allow others to prosper.

The guy I worry bout out west is Joe Staley - he's moving to LT and I fear he may get schooled a couple of times. Unfortunately its neccessary for his long term development and he'll be a star - hopefully though I'm wrong about 2008

kmartin575
03-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Dwayne Bowe..You have to worry about Second year WR's who had a big Rookie Year..And I dont think his QB is gonna help all that much.

Says the Raider fan. No surprise there.

kmartin575
03-28-2008, 02:36 AM
im going to agree with bowe too. sorry chiefs fans...i just dont see him doing well this next year. down the line i think he'll be a stud but theres just not much else in that offense to be happy about.

one guy i DONT think will be slumping is marshawn lynch. he may actually have some better consistancy at QB this year if edwards is in all year and that team has some decent receivers already in evans and parrish and could add another via the draft. i think he might do even better this year if the offense works around him.

And what exactly was there to be happy about in the offense last year? Yet he still was 5 yards short of a 1,000 yard season. And that was after he missed half of training camp and the first 2 preseason games due to a holdout.

Besides, why would you see much to be happy about now? For a team that is building through the draft any improvements are going to come a month from now.

kmartin575
03-28-2008, 02:37 AM

And what exactly was there to be happy about in the offense last year? Yet he still was 5 yards short of a 1,000 yard season. And that was after he missed half of training camp and the first 2 preseason games due to a holdout.

Besides, why would you see much to be happy about now? For a team that is building through the draft any improvements are going to come a month from now.

kmartin575
03-28-2008, 02:40 AM

Give me a break. That is the stupidest crap I have ever heard. What would lead anybody to believe that at all? Because he went to LSU? Then I guess his draft profile should have said "he went to LSU, the same school as Michael Clayton, so don't draft him."

kmartin575
03-28-2008, 02:43 AM
I really dont want to say Bowe, but the DBs in that divison are pretty good.

He made guys like Bailey and Jammer look like fools at times last year. Don't see why that will change this year. Plus one of Bowe's strengths is his ability to go up and get the ball. He can be perfectly covered yet still snatch the ball out of the air. Most of his touchdown catches last year were circus catches where he was covered yet still made the catch.

People seem to not realize that we got rid of our horrible offensive coordinator and hired Chan Gailey who isn't the greatest by all means but is definitely somebody who can get the job done.

kmartin575
03-28-2008, 02:46 AM

He was in the same crappy situation last year when he put up 70 catches, 995 yards, and 5 touchdowns.

the decider13
03-28-2008, 03:05 AM
Bowe is in a pretty bad situation but he was 5 yards short of 1,000 with a horrible offensive line and two different QBs that couldn't stay on their feet.

If we can, uh, what's that word that offensive lineman are supposed to do that ours didn't? Oh yeah, if we can passblock, he should put up bigger numbers.

What I really hate is now every team we face twice a year (division rivals) have insanely good CB tandems. Deangelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha for the Raiders, Dre Bly and Champ for the Broncos and Cromartie and Jammer for the Chargers.. I mean, wtf is this?! :(

exactly...the corners are the only reason Bowe might not seem like as much of a stud.

I mean, the broncos corners are our pride. Since we cant stop the run ya know :D

niel89
03-28-2008, 04:13 AM
bowe only because of the situation, he is a good talented player but there are many factors.

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2008, 06:26 AM
I voted Lynch, but don't know why. I thnk I should change it to Bowe, but I really think neither would have a bad year. All will have solid years, just maybe not quite as good as this past year. Bowe just has too much around him that concerns me, and the division has gotten better.

BeerBaron
03-28-2008, 10:06 AM

dont get me wrong here, i like bowe for the long run, but out of those guys listed i think he is most likely to slump (barring injury to the others) simply because he does have the worst situation

tjpackers
03-28-2008, 10:51 AM
what about Gaines Adams

kmartin575
03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
dont get me wrong here, i like bowe for the long run, but out of those guys listed i think he is most likely to slump (barring injury to the others) simply because he does have the worst situation

That's fine. But then for the sake of this thread their probably shouldn't have been a poll. Just an open ended question so people could choose whoever they wanted to.