PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining a #1 CB

nfrillman
03-28-2008, 12:30 AM
It is no secret that the Rams desire a #1 CB, even if it's not at the top of the wish list. Rumors have flown around about trading for Lito Shephard. This would most likely be done through draft picks. The Deangello Hall trade was done for a high 2nd round pick and a compensatory pick. With that in mind it seems to me that the Rams would have to trade their 3rd round pick and probably a 4th or 5th in exchange for Shephard.

Now consider that the Cowboys are now offering a 7th round pick and a player for Pacman Jones. Assuming the player is of low quality, lets say the Rams can aquire Pacman for a 5th round pick.

Which would you rather do:
A. Trade a 3rd and 4th round pick for Lito Shephard (not quite the player Pacman is, but minus the obvious character issues)

B. Trade a 5th round pick for Pacman Jones (hoping that his recent comments about recognizing the mistakes of his past are honest)

Personally I would rather make the trade for Pacman. I am almost always against having guys with these glaring character flaws, but the price tags for acquiring these players leads me to favor Pacman, plus his recent remarks makes it seem that he may have learned his lesson. I feel if we trade a 5th rounder for Pacman we might get one of the top CB's in the league for next to nothing, and if he isn't reformed then losing a 5th round pick is not that crippling. Now if we trade for Lito we probably don't have to worry about character and he would become our best CB, but no one will confuse him for one of the top CB's in the league. To do so though we would lose a significant portion of our draft in losing high 3rd and 4th round picks. Based on that logic I think trying to acquire Pacman makes more sense than Lito.

So which would you rather do?

NGSeiler
03-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Is there an Option C - neither?

freebirdsrams02
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I would hate to see the Rams give up a 2 for a CB at this point. A 3rd round pick would be a gamble as well espically with Pacman. But if they can give up a 5th and a player for Pacman, I say go for it.

nfrillman
03-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Is there an Option C - neither?

Haha, of course not. I am more in favor of the Pacman scenario because I definitely don't think it'd be smart to trade a 2nd rounder or a 3rd and 4th for Shephard. I'd be much happier just going into the season with Hill, Brown, and Bartell. With Pacman it wouldn't cost that much to get him, but the headaches might not be worth it. I just kind of view it as similar to what the Pats did with Moss, though Pacman has much more severe character questions IMO than Moss did.

So in short I don't think the Shephard trade would be smart at all, and the Pacman trade would be worth investigating. I haven't heard of any team besides the Cowboys being interested though.

yodabear
03-28-2008, 11:57 PM
We aren't going to have one for years. Tye Hill sucks, and we are stuck with him. WE WILL SUCK FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Halleluiah!!!!!!!!!!!!

holt_bruce81
03-29-2008, 04:19 PM
We aren't going to have one for years. Tye Hill sucks, and we are stuck with him. WE WILL SUCK FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Halleluiah!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, are you even a Rams fan?

Your posts aren't even intelligent.

BamaFalcon59
03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
How has Tye Hill played?

yodabear
03-29-2008, 10:56 PM
I mean, are you even a Rams fan?

Your posts aren't even intelligent.

Yeah, they are, Tye Hill blows, no one wants to come to play for St. Louis, and u can't win without a cornerback, and we won't have 1.

yodabear
03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
How has Tye Hill played?

U and I have done as much as him.

NGSeiler
03-30-2008, 01:35 PM
How has Tye Hill played?

Solid when given the opportunity, but his growth has been complicated by time missed with injuries. It'd probably help if the team had some semblance of a consistent pass rush from their front four as well.

toonsterwu
03-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Sheppard will come at that much less of a price than DeAngelo Hall. In fact, I think a case can be made that Lito could demand a higher return than Hall.

I really don't see the Rams making said splash, though. Just too many needs, and with Wade and Hill, they have some youngsters in place. I can see them adding someone else to the mix, I just don't see them going for the huge home run splash like Sheppard.