PDA

View Full Version : Player Similarities

zdh87
03-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I love Scott's annual Similar Players list. Here's a few of the ones I think are quite interesting:
Glenn Dorsey: Warren Sapp
Andre Woodson: Byron Leftwich
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie: Duh
Jonathan Stewart: Michael Turner

Please add your own!

art vandelay
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Here's two off the top of my head:

Chevis Jackson - Tanard Jackson
Dexter Jackson - Roscoe Parrish

BaLLiN
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Reggie Smith - Quentin Jammer

Curtis Lofton - DeMeco Ryans

Mike Jenkins - Carlos Rogers

keylime_5
03-28-2008, 04:40 PM

I think Smith is a lot more physical than Jammer and has better ball skills. Both have similar size though and are bump and run corners I guess, but I think Smith is a poor man's michael huff.

JagHombre22
03-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Glenn Dorsey- Marcus Stroud

PACKmanN
03-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Cark Nicks=Shawn Andrews

TheBuffaloBills
03-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Stroud is like 4 inches taller than Dorsey. I think he is very similar to Sapp.

no love
03-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Trevor Laws - Anthony Adams (both shorter guys, with high-motors who are high round pick, but probably maxed out athletically)

J Stewart - Jamal Lewis in his prime. Both are patient runners with prototypical size and a burst to take it to the house. They can both run you over and have excellent balance. J Stew is a little less physical.

Gholston - J. Abraham. Both are made to be 3-4 OLBs and have an excellent edge rush. Similar size and athleticism, but both guys get by too much on their god given talents. Another similarity... both will have ended up on the Jets and becoming alcoholics because NYC is a ***** and the Jets can't win.

GermanSaint
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
talib - phillip buchanon

Mr.Regular
03-28-2008, 07:07 PM
A personal one of mine....Matt Ryan= taller Aaron Rodgers

BaLLiN
03-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Mike Jenkins= Carlos Rogers

Tony Temple=Ahmad Bradshaw (kindof)

TACKLE
03-28-2008, 08:39 PM
There's already a thread for this.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12948&highlight=Player+Comparisons

BufFan71
03-28-2008, 08:46 PM
talib - phillip buchanon

plz tell me this is a joke

GermanSaint
03-28-2008, 09:08 PM
plz tell me this is a joke

why baring it ? they have similar philosophies.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Every time I watch Leodis McKelvin, I have flashbacks to watching Marcus Trufant at Washinton St.

TACKLE
03-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Curtis Lofton - Jon Beason

Borat
03-28-2008, 11:21 PM
John Carlson - Eric Johnson

Thunder&Lightning
03-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Steve Slaton and Kevin Faulk

MNRunLeft
03-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Devin Thomas kind of reminds me of a more physical version of Chad Johnson, both are JUCO players who had break out final season, both 6'1 and change with Johnson probably having a little more speed and Thomas being about 20 pounds heavier.

nobodyinparticular
03-29-2008, 12:10 AM
talib - phillip buchanon

Phillip Buchanon, when he came out, was one of the fastest guys in the draft, short, and lacked physicality. Talib has slightly below average speed and stands over 6'0 tall. Buchanon would have to wear 3 inch heels to even sniff that.

nobodyinparticular
03-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Devin Thomas kind of reminds me of a more physical version of Chad Johnson, both are JUCO players who had break out final season, both 6'1 and change with Johnson probably having a little more speed and Thomas being about 20 pounds heavier.

Thomas actually reminds me of a perfect match with Jerry Porter. Dimensions are very similar, measurables are very similar, and both came into the league a bit raw.

kmartin575
03-29-2008, 12:46 AM

Curtis Lofton - DeMeco Ryans

Mike Jenkins - Carlos Rogers

I have a feeling you didn't make up those comparisons. I have seen draft publications that I believe made those exact comparisons.

The Legend
03-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Kenneth Moore > Troy Brown

from Wake Forest he can play Corner, Runningback, Safety, Wideout, also good Return man

A Perfect Score
03-29-2008, 01:35 AM
players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Jamaal Charles - Jerious Norwood
Adarius Bowman - Brandon Marshall
Malcolm Kelly - Marques Colston
Antoine Cason - Dre Bly
Limas Sweed - Vincent Jackson
Anthony Aldrige - Darren Sproles

The Legend
03-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Jamaal Charles - Jerious Norwood
Adarius Bowman - Brandon MarshallMalcolm Kelly - Marques Colston
Antoine Cason - Dre Bly
Limas Sweed - Vincent Jackson
Anthony Aldrige - Darren Sproles

i agree with the rest i think AB is a total bust and slow

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Yea thats obviously his best case scenario, I was thinking Anquan Boldin during his senior year, then after workouts his best case is Marshall who is still alot faster then him...I still think Bowman will be good in certain situations, he obviously wont be stretching the field but he can run with the ball in his hands alot like Marshall.

Hokie_Pokie08
03-29-2008, 01:57 AM
xavier adibi = derrick brooks

nobodyinparticular
03-29-2008, 02:19 AM
players intsimy latieres are sutpdi. the players areat all unituw/ o dpmt ebem aer about wat the lpater aare calling themeslves of whatever, terhera will Its sutpid/ neever be anothe said playerm. rscj p;syhyrt uniyeee, snf rhyrtrgotr, each player autntiwue for each syste,. /

And......... APS is smashed again.

GermanSaint
03-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Phillip Buchanon, when he came out, was one of the fastest guys in the draft, short, and lacked physicality. Talib has slightly below average speed and stands over 6'0 tall. Buchanon would have to wear 3 inch heels to even sniff that.

ok , bad comparison. talib has no one to compare

Addict
03-29-2008, 07:54 AM
And......... APS is smashed again.

it's one of those things in life that you can be sure of: A Perfect Score posting while drunk

A Perfect Score
03-29-2008, 09:36 AM
haha yeah...another good night. I got an infraction though, so im gunna have to cut down on the drunk posting...wat i was trying to say, i think, is that player comparisons are pointless, and that each player has a unique style. But now that im sober, i disagree with what i was sayinghahaha because i actually like the whole comparison thing

DonWoods33
03-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Matt Forte-Robert Smith, Ex Ohio State, Vikings

See if you agree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tT_UXs6zHQ
YouTube - robert smith vikings 56 yard Touchdown floppy sock!

sprawwl
03-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Three that occur to me:
Glenn Dorsey ~ Rod Coleman
Andre Caldwell ~ Brandon Stokely
Quentin Groves ~ Chike Okeafor

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Matt Forte-Robert Smith, Ex Ohio State, Vikings

See if you agree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tT_UXs6zHQ
YouTube - robert smith vikings 56 yard Touchdown floppy sock!

he looks like Ryan Grant to me...

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Three that occur to me:

i dont really know about the 1st or 3rd, but i really dont see the Caldwell-Stokely comparison. I didnt see much of Caldwell but i think i see a little Steve Smith (NYG) out of him

MetSox17
03-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Limas Sweed - Brandon Marshall
Joe Flacco - Derek Anderson
Mario Manningham - Santonio Holmes
James Hardy - Vincent Jackson
DeSean Jackson - Sinorice Moss
Rashard Mendenhall - Ronnie Brown
Jamaal Charles - a bigger Jerious Norwood
Ray Rice - tad shorter Tiki Barber
Erin Henderson - Boss Bailey
Leodis McKelvin - Terence Newman
Kenny Phillips - Roy Williams

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Limas Sweed - Brandon Marshall
Joe Flacco - Derek Anderson
Mario Manningham - Santonio Holmes
James Hardy - Vincent Jackson
DeSean Jackson - Sinorice Moss
Rashard Mendenhall - Ronnie Brown
Jamaal Charles - a bigger Jerious Norwood
Ray Rice - tad shorter Tiki Barber
Erin Henderson - Boss Bailey
Leodis McKelvin - Terence Newman
Kenny Phillips - Roy Williams

those are all pretty close, Erin should get a better comparison, Manningham isnt as good as Holmes so hes a poor man's, DeSean is a rich man's Moss, Ray Rice is much more powerful than Barber, but he has less moves, i dont think its a good comparison there.

MetSox17
03-29-2008, 11:13 AM
those are all pretty close, Erin should get a better comparison, Manningham isnt as good as Holmes so hes a poor man's, DeSean is a rich man's Moss, Ray Rice is much more powerful than Barber, but he has less moves, i dont think its a good comparison there.

Boss was a beast coming out of Georgia, that's why i put him there.
I've always thought of Manningham as Santonio Holmes-esque, but i keep
getting trashed for it. I see the potential there, Holmes might be a better
route runner, and a bit more reliable hands, but i think the potential is there.
As for DeSean, i was gonna go with Santana, but he's proved that his size doesnt hinder him much in the pros. Sinorice hasnt.
And i think Tiki towards the end of his career was a hit the hole, juke once or twice and head for the end zone type of guy. that's kinda what i see from rice

BamaFalcon59
03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Three that occur to me:

Glenn Dorsey will be much better against the run than Rod Coleman is or was.

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Boss was a beast coming out of Georgia, that's why i put him there.
I've always thought of Manningham as Santonio Holmes-esque, but i keep
getting trashed for it. I see the potential there, Holmes might be a better
route runner, and a bit more reliable hands, but i think the potential is there.
As for DeSean, i was gonna go with Santana, but he's proved that his size doesnt hinder him much in the pros. Sinorice hasnt.
And i think Tiki towards the end of his career was a hit the hole, juke once or twice and head for the end zone type of guy. that's kinda what i see from rice

well the Manningham-Holmes comparison is good as far as explosion and big playmaking ability.

Well since Sinorice hasnt done anything at all in the NFL in 2 years, i dont think this is a good comparison. DeSean also was alot better in college, although Moss was good too.

Well being a giants fan ive seen alot of Tiki and he was without a doubt my favorite giant and still is. Tiki was more reliant on cuts and made alot more of them because he wasnt as fast as he used to be. Its an alright comparison, doesnt really match that well IMO.

ironman4579
03-29-2008, 12:12 PM
These are some of the NFL.com comparisons. I'm not sure I agree with any of them actually, but I thought I'd post the Michigan ones, and see what people thought of their scouts comparisons.

Jake Long-JAMAAL BROWN-New Orleans...Like Brown, Long is a mauler with excellent drive-blocking skills. He compensates for a lack of explosion by taking good angles to adjust to movement and has the big hands and upper-body strength to consistently walk his man off the line. He shows the kick-step to mirror edge rushers, but does allow some inside penetration with his sluggish hip swerve working in-line. In a game plan that features physical drive blocking, Long is a perfect fit. But, if you put him in a zone-blocking formation, he lacks the lateral agility needed to mirror inside movement.

Mario Manningham-SINORICE MOSS-New York Giants...Both have speed, neither can escape a physical jam and both tend to shy away from contact on a regular basis. While Manningham's college statistics are impressive and he has natural hands, he leaves a lot of passes on the field, lacking great courage battling for the ball in a crowd. Like Moss, if he has a clear path, he will torch the deep secondary and is known as a playmaker. The problem is, unless he gets more physical vs. the press and plays with better moxie going over the middle, Manningham looks like a classic boom-or-bust prospect.

Chad Henne-JOEY HARRINGTON-Atlanta...Henne is a good mechanic with the arm strength to air it out, but he needs to do a better job of timing throws, as he tends to hold on to the ball too long. He will get "happy feet" when pressured and run too early, but he lacks good ball-security skills and that has led to 14 fumbles in 39 games. He lacks ideal trajectory on his passes, as he will short-arm often, leading to 30 interceptions and 138 other passes deflected by the opposition. Like Harrington, he is an erratic performer, who can look sensational one minute, but tries to do too much and gets caught with the ball in his hands. Any general manager daring to consider him a first-round target will soon see himself on the unemployment line. Henne has too many of Harrington's deficiencies to be considered a franchise quarterback.

ironman4579
03-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Some more:

Mike Hart-JOSEPH ADDAI-Indianapolis...While Hart has a lot more mileage on his tires coming out of college than Addai did leaving LSU, both players are quick, darting runners with the ability to pound out the tough yardage up the middle or hit the cutback lanes. Addai is a better receiver than Hart, but the Michigan product protects the ball and is a physical blocker who plays with lots of aggression. He's shorter than ideal, but runs at a low pad level and has the leg drive to immediately break arm tackles. Had some injury problems as a senior, thanks to over 1,000 carries during his career, but until then, Hart proved very durable.

Shawn Crable-SHAUN PHILLIPS-San Diego...Crable is not as bulky as Phillips, but his frame has the potential to carry 260 pounds. He is a very good edge rusher and blitzer who relies a lot on his quickness to surprise a lethargic blocker. He lacks the sand in his pants to generate a good anchor and must do a better job of using his hands to protect his body from combo blocks and cut blocks. He is quick to see the play develop, but it is rare for him to come out of his area to make a play. He is too stiff in his hips to get good depth in his pass drops and struggles with ball recognition when playing in the zone, as he does bite on play-action. He will need to improve his lower body strength for the next level, as his only value right now is as a pass rusher.

Adrian Arrington-ASHLEY LELIE-San Francisco...Arrington is the type of receiver that can run one route well and shows anxiety running another. He seems to be more suited for the slot. He takes a rolling start off the snap rather than exploding off the line. However, he does shy away from contact at times, losing focus when he hears the defender closing on him. He shows good arm length to extend and pluck the ball outside his frame, but when he reverts to using his body to catch, he drops too many. He could have used another year of college football development. While he presents a nice target underneath for a quarterback, he must learn how to run crisp routes and improve his overall timing.

Jamar Adams-JAMES BUTLER-New York Giants...Adams plays better in the box than he does in man coverage. He will need to put on a few pounds to play his game at the next level, but even though he hits with good pop on contact, he must improve his tackling technique and become less of a drag-down, collision-type than one who will consistently wrap up. He is a bit cautious playing in the deep zone. While he has confidence in his downhill ability, he does not have the explosion coming out of his pedal to stay with the receiver long. He is a good short-area coverage defender, with good field intelligence and watches more film than the coaching staff. In a weak crop of talent, he stands out as the best strong safety prospect, but there are a few holes in his game (hands, wrap-up technique, man coverage) that will need to be fixed before he can step into a starting job at the next level.

ironman4579
03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Although it's easy enough to do on your own, if anyone wants me to look up any others from NFL.com, just let me know and I'll post them here.

Addict
03-29-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't like the comparison between Hart and Addai... Addai ran a 4.4 forty yard dash, Hart avaraged 4.6 there's a big difference.

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I like the Kevin Smith - Joseph Addai comparison personally, I just feel their playing styles are very similiar.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Glenn Dorsey will be much better against the run than Rod Coleman is or was.

That's for sure. Rod Coleman was a pass rush monster with little to no help in the run game.

neko4
03-29-2008, 01:01 PM
he looks like Ryan Grant to me...
Yeah thats what ive thought

QB's
Matt Ryan- Matt Hasselback
Brian Brohm- Eli Manning
Joe Flacco- Big Ben
Andre Woodson- Jason Campbell
Colt Brennan- Bernie Kosar? Phillip Rivers?
Chad Henne- Sex Grossman
Josh Johnson- Jake Plummer? Skinny version of McNabb? Seneca Wallace?
Erik Ainge- Derek Anderson? Andrew Walter?
JD Booty- Jeff Garcia

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah thats what ive thought

QB's
Matt Ryan- Matt Hasselback
Brian Brohm- Eli Manning
Joe Flacco- Big Ben
Andre Woodson- Jason Campbell
Colt Brennan- Bernie Kosar? Phillip Rivers?
Chad Henne- Sex Grossman
Josh Johnson- Jake Plummer? Skinny version of McNabb? Seneca Wallace?
Erik Ainge- Derek Anderson? Andrew Walter?
JD Booty- Jeff Garcia

JD Booty and Jeff Garcia arent really close at all IMO, its more like Colt B is Jeff Garcia and JD Booty is like Kyle Orton? idk

DCBills
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Some TE comparisons

Fred Davis - Alge Crumpler
Dustin Keller - a poor man's Kellen Winslow Jr.
John Carlson - Jason Witten
Martellus Bennett - Marcedes Lewis

AtariBigby
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Stroud is like 4 inches taller than Dorsey. I think he is very similar to Sapp.

Exactly. Stroud is huge, Dorsey is smallish.
Plus Stroud is a thug, while Dorsey is a great person. And Dorsey has heart.

AtariBigby
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Matt Forte = Ryan Grant
Same size, same #, similar speed (remember Ryan Grant was one of the fastest in his combine)

BufFan71
03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Exactly. Stroud is huge, Dorsey is smallish.
Plus Stroud is a thug, while Dorsey is a great person. And Dorsey has heart.

in his buffalo interviews, stroud doesnt seem like a thug

Go_Eagles77
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
James Hardy reminds me a lot of Plaxico, except Plaxico's a much better blocker.

terribletowel39
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Matt Forte = Ryan Grant
Same size, same #, similar speed (remember Ryan Grant was one of the fastest in his combine)
you do realize that that web site is a search engine....right??

AtariBigby
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
in his buffalo interviews, stroud doesnt seem like a thug

Actions.
Speak louder than words.
I recall some personal foul and/or suspensions a few years ago in Jacksonville...Stroud might not be too bad..... I'd take him in the Packers for sure.

BaLLiN
03-31-2008, 06:05 PM
James Hardy reminds me a lot of Plaxico, except Plaxico's a much better blocker.

i can see it a little, Plax was still thicker at MSU

fenikz
03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Aqib Talib = Poor Man's Antrel Rolle
Antoine Cason = Antonio Cromartie with out the speed
Matt Forte = Edgerrin James
Steve Slaton = JJ Arrington

TheBuffaloBills
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Stroud isnt an Albert Haynesworth

BaLLiN
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM