PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Samardzija

neko4
03-29-2008, 01:48 AM
I was thinking about this guy again. How well does everyone think he wouldve done as a rook? Where would he have been drafted?

Cashmoney
03-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Maybe to the Titans to become Drew Bennett 2.0.

Seriously though I thought he could've been really good. I was dissappointed when he didn't go for the NFL.

toonsterwu
03-29-2008, 02:27 AM
He was probably a late first-2nd round pick that year. He could've been a solid player. It's hard to guess numbers without knowing what situation he would've gone to, but I don't think, in general, that he would've ever been a solid 1. A solid number 2 WR to complement, I could see that.

RaiderNation
03-29-2008, 02:27 AM
hows he doing in the mlb? i havent heard anything about him

downthealley
03-29-2008, 02:32 AM
I remember a lot of mock drafts giving him to the Pats with one of their picks.

Yatta!
03-29-2008, 03:32 AM
As long as he didn't run a Jarrett-esque 40-time he would have been a 1st rounder. He was a better player than Craig Davis and Anthony Gonzalez in college.

neko4
03-29-2008, 03:41 AM
definitly better than Davis and Gonzalez. And bigger too. the 40 time wouldve been a deciding factor for him like you said.

toonsterwu
03-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Was Samardzija a better player than Davis and Gonzalez in college? Sure. without a doubt. In the case of Gonzalez, it was a good fit there, which made it a different situation. In terms of draft value, there always stood a possibility that Craig Davis' upside, his potential, would go ahead of Samardzija. I'm not saying whether they would or wouldn't, but rather, I don't think it was a clear case.

In baseball, it's been an interesting career for him so far. He started off with his short stops at Boise (shortseason) and Peoria (low A) and looked fine. Last year, he was at Daytona (high A) and struggled mightily. Was demoted to the pen for a period. Then, the Cubs gave him a kick to Tennessee (AA), and he did alright. He still didn't miss enough bats, and the development of his secondary offerings will be more critical than any actual numbers. He'll start this year in AA. Not a top prospect in terms of overall, but still has the intrigue that some had with him. So, what could explain Daytona and Tennessee? Certainly, Tennessee might've been a fluke. After all, small sample size, still inconsistent offerings, pitcher's league. Could be a simple case of seeing something new. Then again, the Cubs had him on pitch counts for each offering. They wanted him to improve his secondary offerings, and it did improve during the season. Thus, that could be an explanation for Daytona's struggles, being forced to throw his secondary offerings more.

The Hurricane
03-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I believe he has a high 90's fastball and is a lefty so he's a high value prospect. Even if he has struggled a little bit, I don't think he's at the point where anybody has given up on him. He could still become a big time pitcher later in his career.

toonsterwu
03-29-2008, 10:23 AM
He's a righty. And there isn't any need to discuss later in his career yet. That makes it sound like Samardzija has struggled big time. Certainly, the Cubs have pushed him quick, but for a guy to be decent in AA in his first full season of professional ball, that's solid.

For the most part, Shark throws in the low-mid 90's to get movement on the 2-seamer. That said, he can run it up there high 90's when need be, which is why some have suggested that, if he struggles as a starter, he still has a shot to make it as a pen arm.

cordscords
03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Jeff-Samardzija.shtml

He's been doing ok for the Cubs. He might earn a September call up this season.

energizerbunny
03-30-2008, 11:10 AM
He amount of money he got from the cubs he would have been stupid to turn it down.

LonghornsLegend
03-30-2008, 12:29 PM
And, it be pretty stupid to turn down being a pitcher over a WR, the stress your body has to take over the years, the wear and tear, as well as pitchers being paid so well it seemed like an easy choice for him.

jth1331
03-30-2008, 01:43 PM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Jeff-Samardzija.shtml

He's been doing ok for the Cubs. He might earn a September call up this season.

It seems he throws a lot of strikes, but I would've predicted he would have more strikeouts than he does.

I doubt he gets called up to the Cubs this year. Probably needs another full year in the minors before thinking of getting called up.

toonsterwu
03-30-2008, 01:47 PM
jth, he throws a 2-seamer and has inconsistent secondary offerings. The lack of strikeouts has been expected by most Cubs fans.

As for getting called up, I agree that he should spend another full year, but if he's solid in the minors this year, because of his contract, I could see them calling him up late for us this year.