PDA

View Full Version : Chad Henne, 1st Round?

CARDIAC CAT 7
03-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Mike Mayock has had him as his #2 QB(until recently), and has said through out the post-season that he will slip into the 1st Round.

Yesterday, Todd McShay said he spoke to teams at the Pro Day's he was at and he said many scouts wouldn't be suprised if Henne went in the teens (13-19 Overall). I am starting to think Henne is a 1st Round Pick, maybe not as high as McShay thinks but he seems to have grasped the second quarterback spot.

princefielder28
03-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Mike Mayock has had him as his #2 QB(until recently), and has said through out the post-season that he will slip into the 1st Round.

Yesterday, Todd McShay said he spoke to teams at the Pro Day's he was at and he said many scouts wouldn't be suprised if Henne went in the teens (13-19 Overall). I am starting to think Henne is a 1st Round Pick, maybe not as high as McShay thinks but he seems to have grasped the second quarterback spot.

If he is taken in round one and plays right away there will be many happy DBs in this league that will get the chance to tally up some INTs

Addict
03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I doubt it. Mayock will drop him sooner or later.

Sniper
03-29-2008, 02:20 PM
If he is taken in round one and plays right away there will be many happy DBs in this league that will get the chance to tally up some INTs

A) Henne shouldn't be the #2 QB. I say that as a Michigan fan that has watched him play for four years.
B) Then again, Matt Ryan shouldn't be the #1
C) Re: your post. Why's that? He's only cracked 10 INT once in his career, and that was his freshman year with 12. The wondrous Matt Ryan threw 19 in his best season.

princefielder28
03-29-2008, 02:22 PM
A) Henne shouldn't be the #2 QB. I say that as a Michigan fan that has watched him play for four years.
B) Then again, Matt Ryan shouldn't be the #1
C) Re: your post. Why's that? He's only cracked 10 INT once in his career, and that was his freshman year with 12. The wondrous Matt Ryan threw 19 in his best season.

He eyeballs his wide receivers...safeties will jump all over that and if he under throws a ball then it's the corner's

toonsterwu
03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
I think the race for 2nd QB is still fairly tight. I still don't see a QB working into the teens, but I could potentially see one in the early 20's, with a team moving up. I'm not a fan of Henne at all, but the case for Henne going 2nd would go something along the lines of

A) Better upside than Brohm. More pro projectable.

B) Has faced better competition than Flacco, and thus considered more "ready".

Personally, I'd take Flacco and Brohm over him.

Sniper
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xFIAoIPSKek

Chad's only healthy game in this season.

P.S You will also notice Mario Manningham a few times here. Notice all the "deep routes" he runs which attribute to his nasty ypc average. Because that's what everyone says he runs all day. Count the deep routes please

neko4
03-29-2008, 02:40 PM

P.S You will also notice Mario Manningham a few times here. Notice all the "deep routes" he runs which attribute to his nasty ypc average. Because that's what everyone says he runs all day. Count the deep routes please
That just reminded me how much I like Mike Hart

princefielder28
03-29-2008, 02:42 PM

He will not be able to get away with half those throws in the NFL. He stares down his wide receivers every time. If Florida's safeties had any feel for the game they would know to watch his eyes because that's where it was going every time, but no they sat back and covered their zone and were a step behind on every throw

ChezPower4
03-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I think that he could be takin in the first round but i think that if a team like Atl, or Bal could trade up into the first to make sure that they get him but I dont think that he is a first round talent

Paranoidmoonduck
03-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Chad's got the look and the arm, but I think it would be a mistake to take him that high. Regardless, it wouldn't shock me to see either a team move up for a quarterback in the 20-32 range, or even for a team like Jacksonville to take their quarterback of the future.

ironman4579
03-29-2008, 02:52 PM
He will not be able to get away with half those throws in the NFL. He stares down his wide receivers every time. If Florida's safeties had any feel for the game they would know to watch his eyes because that's where it was going every time, but no they sat back and covered their zone and were a step behind on every throw

I'd disagree with this somewhat. Especially on the deeper post routes, Henne usually does a very good job of looking off the safety. I can think of several good examples from last years games against Penn State and Minnesota, and in that Florida game he did a good job of looking guys off on the same deeper post routes. On the first TD to Manningham, it felt to me like he was looking at Mathews in the slot, got the safety to move a bit, and then came back to Manningham for the TD. That said, he does stare his target down at times, and even as a Michigan fan I certainly don't think he's a first rounder.

BBIB
03-29-2008, 03:31 PM
This is the worse rated QB class I've ever seen.

Henne, Flacco, and especially Ryan are all getting raised stock based on the media rather than merit.

Brian Brohm should head this class and none of these other late risers deserve to be ranked over Woodson. Flacco shouldn't even be rated over Josh Johnson.

People harp on Woodson's release but Henne has a laundry list of question marks which Mr. Wright brilliantly laid out most of them

Injury plagued Senior Season
Inconsistent Accuracy
Struggles under Pressure (and needs time to throw)
Shaky Footwork
Sloppy Fundamentals
Holds on to the ball too long
Streaky and prone too mistakes
Will Stare down his targets

Not exactly the most terrific production for a guy who had a terrific supporting cast

Didnít complete 60% of his passes for his career

P-L
03-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Didnít complete 60% of his passes for his career
Yeah, I know. He completed 60.3% instead.

JagHombre22
03-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Chad's got the look and the arm, but I think it would be a mistake to take him that high. Regardless, it wouldn't shock me to see either a team move up for a quarterback in the 20-32 range, or even for a team like Jacksonville to take their quarterback of the future.

If Henne is there when we pick in the second round I would want him....

Ware_HITStick
03-29-2008, 04:02 PM

LOL

BURN BABY!!!

j/k

ironman4579
03-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Nice post PL. I hate when people throw out some stats that are wrong. Regardless of if they just made a mistake, or just assume no one will check up on their incorrect numbers, it's still nice to see people correct them.

SKim172
03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Scott has him as 59.7% for his career, as does ESPN.

MetSox17
03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Im not even involved in this thread, but i'd figure i'd check out on the stats since people are throwing them out there...

According to ESPN.com, Henne threw 60.2, 58.4, 61.9 and 58.3 percent
his freshman through senior year, respectively.

that is 59.7% average

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160898

P-L
03-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I got my numbers from www.NCAA.org (http://www.NCAA.org), so I apologize if there was a mistake.

Comp: 792
Att: 1314
Pct: 60.3%

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2007&org=418&player=7

EDIT: They didn't include the Capital One Bowl. That makes his stats:

Comp: 817
Att: 1353
Pct: 60.4%

No clue why NCAA stats and ESPN stats are different. I'll give +rep to anyone who can figure it out.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
As far as I can tell, the site you used doesn't include the Ohio State game from 2007 either.

They have him completing 126 of 205 (61%) in 2007, while ESPN has him correctly completing 162 of 278 (58%). That would probably be the reason behind the couple percentage point difference in his career between the two sites.

Pct: 60.4%Add the Ohio State game numbers (11/34), makes the total 828 of 1387 (59.6%), which is what ESPN has him at.

etk
03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I got my numbers from www.NCAA.org (http://www.NCAA.org), so I apologize if there was a mistake.

Comp: 792
Att: 1314
Pct: 60.3%

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2007&org=418&player=7

EDIT: They didn't include the Capital One Bowl. That makes his stats:

Pct: 60.4%

No clue why NCAA stats and ESPN stats are different. I'll give +rep to anyone who can figure it out.

It's not a mistake P-L. They're making the mistake of averaging his Comp. % from 4 different years.....

Even if Henne did look off his receivers all the time, he still throws with enough velocity to complete passes. My biggest concern about Henne is how he has so much faith in his arm that he forces throws into traffic, but there's a lot to like about him as a QB. He's experienced with an NFL-ready arm and he still has potential to grow.

ironman4579
03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Im not even involved in this thread, but i'd figure i'd check out on the stats since people are throwing them out there...

According to ESPN.com, Henne threw 60.2, 58.4, 61.9 and 58.3 percent
his freshman through senior year, respectively.

that is 59.7% average

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160898

You can't just take 4 different completion percentages and use the average. If a guy completed 5 of 10 passes one season for a 50% completion percentage, and 250 of 300 for an 83.3% completion percentage, would you just take the average and say he had a career completion percentage of 66.7%? Or would you say his career completion percentage was the actual figure of 82.3%? Which one sounds more correct?

That said, I used the same site as PL. But it appears they are incorrect, as Michigan's official website also has Henne at a 59.7% career completion percentage.

etk
03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
You can't just take 4 different completion percentages and use the average. If a guy completed 5 of 10 passes one season for a 50% completion percentage, and 250 of 300 for an 83.3% completion percentage, would you just take the average and say he had a career completion percentage of 66.7? Or would you say his career completion percentage was the actual figure of 82.3. Which one sounds more correct?

Exactly.....some people clearly never passed math in HS.

BeerBaron
03-29-2008, 05:10 PM
lousy....dumbass bears......probably going to end up drafting damn hennne......argh!

itll be a cold day in hell before i ever think of henne as even a decent pro prospect.

P-L
03-29-2008, 05:17 PM
No, Pmd got it right. NCAA didn't include Henne's final two games on their site.

Smokey Joe
03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
I could see Henne being this years Kevin Kolb/John Beck... as in a QB who goes much higher then projected.

BeerBaron
03-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I could see Henne being this years Kevin Kolb/John Beck... as in a QB who goes much higher then projected.

like...idk, 14th overall? god im not looking forward to draft day anymore....

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Henne is a manager of the game, not really special IMO. My cousin went to highschool with him, and her dad (my uncle) said that he rushed for some ridiculous amount of yardage in highschool for a QB (like near 1,000) and I was like really? Chad Henne? he doesnt look very fast.

toonsterwu
03-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Both Beck and Kolb were projected in that 2nd tier of QB's that would come off the board in the early-mid 2nd.

Abaddon
03-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Since when does Jacksonville need a QB?

Abaddon
03-29-2008, 08:25 PM
More on topic, I'd personally rate JDB ahead of Henne, but that's just me.

BamaFalcon59
03-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Henne is a manager of the game, not really special IMO. My cousin went to highschool with him, and her dad (my uncle) said that he rushed for some ridiculous amount of yardage in highschool for a QB (like near 1,000) and I was like really? Chad Henne? he doesnt look very fast.

Not sure about that, Rivals just shows his passing statistics.

http://michigan.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=17430

Smokey Joe
03-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Both Beck and Kolb were projected in that 2nd tier of QB's that would come off the board in the early-mid 2nd.
I though I recall them being projected in the late 2nd/3rd round area, but both surprised and went in the top part of the 2nd.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Personally, I think they're probably okay for the time being, but they have shown a presence at most of the notable quarterback's pro days, and I hear that they are going to be looking for long term answer early on.

In the end, Garrard is 30 and Lemon is 29. You can't blame them for wanting a bit more youth at the position.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Drafting Chad Henne in the first round may be the dumbest proposal I have ever heard

I dont care how weak this draft class is, that is certafiably insane and if a team does it they deserve to be ridiculed way more than the Dolphins were last year.

BamaFalcon59
03-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Personally, I think they're probably okay for the time being, but they have shown a presence at most of the notable quarterback's pro days, and I hear that they are going to be looking for long term answer early on.

In the end, Garrard is 30 and Lemon is 29. You can't blame them for wanting a bit more youth at the position.

Gerrard was 24 coming into the league and is 30 now. I was unaware of that. Garrard seems much younger.

Smokey Joe
03-29-2008, 08:45 PM
with the money they gave Cleo Lemon to be their backup, and Gerrad looking good so far, I doubt they go QB within the first 4 rounds... but I can see them picking up a developmental guy in the 5th round or later.

Staubach12
03-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Well, right now, people are talking about a late first round grade. However, when you look at the draft order, who in the late first would take any QB there? The only one I see that could be considered late is Tampa Bay, but they have much bigger issues elsewhere.

Abaddon
03-30-2008, 03:43 PM

True. But much like was said when we signed Gannon, he's a little older, but he hasn't started much. His body hadn't taken nearly the pounding that most guys his age had experienced. Garrard is in the same situation, I think. Didn't realize he was 30, though. Still may be a little early to plan for the future unless someone really nice drops to, say, Rd4.

keylime_5
03-30-2008, 03:49 PM
The trouble with QBs going late round 1 is that there is basically ZERO teams who need a QB that late in the round, so there isn't a team like Baltimore was last year that a 2nd round team would have to trade in front of to get henne, flacco, or brohm. So if Henne goes in the first I think it will be from a team like Atlanta, Chicago or someone trading up into the last 5 picks of the first round or so to get in front of Miami who picks 32nd overall at the top of round 2.

Addict
03-30-2008, 03:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8bzZEtOcb8

just had to be posted.

CARDIAC CAT 7
03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8bzZEtOcb8

just had to be posted.

I am in no way shape or form a Chad Henne fan but that video is BS, almost all of it is against Ohio State and his team is down by an obnoctious amount or a great blitz causing a bad play. All that video shows is that Ohio State fans live for only one day of the year (the day they play Michigan).

initial_flo
03-30-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm guessing that someone is going to pull the Browns/Brady Quinn move and go for one of the QBs that someone falls in love with.

I'd lean toward Flacco or Bhrom though.

TheBuffaloBills
03-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I wonder if this QB class is going to end up like the Carr and Harrington class?

SKim172
03-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Hey, the farther Brohm falls, the happier I am. Means more chance the Ravens get him in round 2.

Although, personally, I am convinced that the Ravens scouting department is currently staffed with morons and that they are preparing to make some profoundly horrible draft day decisions on April 26th.

"The Ravens have traded their first, second round picks for 2008 and 2009 for the #1 pick from Miami. And the Ravens will choose ... Matt Ryan!"

:( <= I die inside

JMiah
03-31-2008, 10:05 AM
I like Henne... but still think he is the 4th QB taken (after Ryan, Brohm and Flacco)...

Better upside than some of the 2nd and 3rd round QB's last year...

Shane P. Hallam
03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
I do think Henne could be the 2nd QB taken, and maybe should be the 2nd QB taken. He is legit in terms of experience, and I think with the right coaching, he can be a successful starter. Not an all-star, but a consistent NFL starter, maybe Marc Bulger caliber. I like him over Brohm at this point myself, just based on who has a higher ceiling.

MidwayMonster31
03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
That video is from a bunch of Ohio State homers, including the 'Bastard sons of Woody' who sing that song.
I've heard a bunch of David Carr comparisons, he's got the arm to make the throws, but might over-analyze things and doesn't handle a blitz well. He made the throws in the Capital One bowl, mainly thanks to Jake Long who controlled Derrick Harvey the whole game.
Personally, I see him as a 6-2 Rex Grossman, which is why I would hate to see the Bears draft him.

evershot
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I think the reason why Chad Henne is getting some hype from the talking heads is because at this point in the process they only have game tape to use to compare the prospects.

And when you compare Flacco and Brohm to Chad Henne I think analyzers are finding that Henne's game tape is easier to translate to NFL situations than the other two.

Flacco: Played in a spread offense against questionable opponents.

Brohm: Played in Petrino's QB friendly system.

Henne: Played in a play action pro system.

Now, I'm not saying Henne should be the second qb taken, but at this point of the process it is understandable that he should be getting a solid push from the talking heads. Because Henne has more game tape of himself executing a pro style offense.