PDA

View Full Version : Rise and Drop

Modano
03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Every year we see a lot of players who were supposed to go in the top 10-15 dropping into the late first, or even out of the first round, and, at the same time, we see some players rising dramatically.
Who do you think is gonna rise and who he's gonna drop this year?

I think Balmer will be picked in the top 20, and I also see Godfrey sneaking into the first round.

neko4
03-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Trevor Laws is a guy I can see sneaking in
Brian Brohm could take a drop if Ryan takes a slight drop and a team takes Flacco over Brohm.

Yung Flippa
03-29-2008, 07:05 PM
I could see Jonathan Stewart fall because of the surgery he had. I could also see Desean Jackson fall a bit as well. As far as rising, I could see James Hardy going a little higher then he's projected to be.

PACKmanN
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Felix Jones could be taken in the first because of the injury to Stewart(hope not.) and Calais Campbell has dropped big time.

JagHombre22
03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Trevor Laws is climbing up draft boards at an enormous rate...I would not be surprised at all if he was to go in the 20's...

foozball
03-29-2008, 07:55 PM
i could see godfrey going to the giants because he can play CB and S

BamaFalcon59
03-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I can see Trevor Laws, Chris Ellis, Eddie Royal, Kellen Davis, Chilo Rachal, Carlton Powell, Barry Booker, Tyvon Branch, Orlando Scandrick, and Quentin Demps, and Brandon Coutou all going before expected. There is some Virginia Tech. homerism in there, but I am confident about most of those picks.

BaLLiN
03-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I can see Trevor Laws, Chris Ellis, Eddie Royal, Kellen Davis, Chilo Rachal, Carlton Powell, Barry Booker, Tyvon Branch, Orlando Scandrick, and Quentin Demps, and Brandon Coutou all going before expected. There is some Virginia Tech. homerism in there, but I am confident about most of those picks.

you forgot Brandon Flowers, Vince Hall, and Xavier Adibi

BamaFalcon59
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
you forgot Brandon Flowers, Vince Hall, and Xavier Adibi

No, I think they go where they are stated. Flowers in round two, Adibi in round two with a possible but doubtful round three drop, and Hall in round four or so.

But Royal is one of the top return men available, and had an excellent postseason. Good deep threat with good hands, but the return part of him will help a lot. I would say late round two or the top of round three.

I think Ellis will be overdrafted because of his pass rushing skills. There are some very good defensive ends this year, but after Gholston and Harvey I think he is the top pass rusher, not counting Quentin Groves the outside linebacker. I think Jeremy Thompson and Darrell Robertson are right there with Ellis, with Robertson a bit lower. A while ago I could have seen the Jaguars reaching for Ellis in round one, but I think an average postseason down him. I think his high is to the Raiders at the top of round two.

Powell and Booker are both nice penetrators. Booker gets in the backfield a lot, he really gets it. Reminds me of another prospect in this draft in Andre Fluellen, not sure why Fluellen is stated to go a round or two higher. Throughout his career Powell actually registered negative rushing yardage in all the plays he was in. Remember that sacks are counted as negative rushes. Both were productive and have good size. I would say round four for one and round five for another, each one is a toss up.

I am relatively confident about Ellis and Royal, as well as the other guys I selected to go higher than expected by most.

Thunder&Lightning
03-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Glenn Dorseys stock was on the fall because of health concerns. But after his great pro day performance he has re-cemented himself into the top 5 player status. His ability is worth the health risk IMO.

Go_Eagles77
03-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Kenny Phillips could fall pretty far.

AllDayFootball724
03-29-2008, 11:32 PM
I think Balmer falls, Harvey maybe Stewart because of the injury. But not past the 1st round.

Laws is for sho going into the first round. Maybe the Giants....

As for phillips even though he is dropping, I think he still goes in top 20. He is the only 1st round safety, he can play and the only reason he might be falling is because he didn't live up to people expectations in the numbers department.

Cashmoney
03-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Tennessee homerism aside, I could definitely see Jerod Mayo going before where he'll be expected to go. I could see Kentwan Balmer maybe falling out of the second.

bearsfan_51
03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
Kenny Phillips could fall pretty far.
I don't think Phillips was ever going to go as high as people were saying anyway. He's a good player but nothing really stands out about him, which is what you need to be a top 15 pick at safety. (Unless you're the Dolphins and you take Jason Allen)

Cashmoney
03-30-2008, 02:50 AM
I don't think Phillips was ever going to go as high as people were saying anyway. He's a good player but nothing really stands out about him, which is what you need to be a top 15 pick at safety. (Unless you're the Dolphins and you take Jason Allen)

I haven't followed Jason Allen at all since he came to the NFL but the Dolphins probably thought he had a lot to offer CB wise since he played at corner a lot in college.

Dam8610
03-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Groves go to the Vikings or Lions...in round 1. I'm not really sold on Derrick Harvey, and the Tampa 2 (which both teams are trying to run) requires pressure from the front 4. Enter Groves, who, while he might not have had the greatest of senior campaigns, is a rare rush end talent, which both teams badly need (idk what IAF did last year Lions fans, but personally I think he's best suited as a UT or possibly rotational power end/pass rushing tackle). A team that takes Harvey to be a Tampa 2 rush end more than likely would be looking for another rush end in a couple years IMO.

03-30-2008, 08:39 AM
The biggest riser come draft day will be Branden Albert .. top 10? top 15?

TAMBA is HUNGRY!!!!
03-30-2008, 09:05 AM
I think Matt Ryan will fall past 10
Chris Williams to be a very late round pick, if not out of the 1st all together.
I think Cason will sneak into the first round
I agree Mayo may sneak into the first
James Hardy will be the first WR taken

Thunder&Lightning
03-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Chris Williams to be a very late round pick, if not out of the 1st all together.

no possible way he falls past 10. even if he slipped the ravens will pick him.

the decider13
03-30-2008, 10:15 AM

I think the chris williams and hardy predictions are way off. I think first WR will probably be thomas or maybe sweed. And Chris Williams is too good a player to fall out of the first. Especially with all the teams that need Oline help. (Denver, Chicago, Carolina etc.)

ThePudge
03-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Look for Devin Thomas at 11 to Buffalo. He came into the draft process as a Second Round pick and has climbed boards.

Jerod Mayo is soaring up boards as well. He's a fit at 15th Overall to Detroit, don't be shocked if he happens to go that early. Remember, he can also play Weakside LB.

BamaFalcon59
03-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Look for Devin Thomas at 11 to Buffalo. He came into the draft process as a Second Round pick and has climbed boards.

Jerod Mayo is soaring up boards as well. He's a fit at 15th Overall to Detroit, don't be shocked if he happens to go that early. Remember, he can also play Weakside LB.

Ernie Sims plays weakside linebacker. With his athleticism Mayo would play MLB in the Tampa 2.

A Perfect Score
03-30-2008, 11:11 AM
i dont see why detroit would pick moyo in the first...its bad value, and its likely he will be available when detroit picks in the 2nd...guys like curtis lofton and dan connor will go before mayo IMO...detroit would be better off picking a rush end in the 1st, or possibly one of the premier RBs or OTs...

there is no way chris williams falls out of the 1st...he has had a betetr offseason then any tackle not named jake long...i can see him as early as 8 to baltimore (although clady is more likely) and i just dont see ihm falling out of teh first by any means...ill be shocked if he doesnt go top 20. at the latest he goes to NY, seeing as diehl is a better G then T anyways...that would be my prediction

marks01234
03-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Risers

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB, Tennessee St - Athleticism size combination is top notch. His potential as a return man and his size make him a top prospect every team draft board (outside of maybe Denver). (top 10)

Dajuan Morgan - S, NC State - More complete prospect than Phillips who can play all four DB positions. Much safer selection and a guy with very good potential. (top 20)

Dan Flacco - QB, Delaware - Teams are quite excited about Flacco's potential and the idea of grabbing a potential franchise QB in late round one is very tempting. (1st round)

Chris Johnson - RB, East Carolina - Game breaking ability is desired by a lot of teams. His ability to step right in as 3rd down back and a return man makes him an option for almost every team. (2nd round)

Falls.

Calais Campbell - DE, Maimi - Has went from being compared to Mario Williams to being compared to Chris Canty (2nd round)

Antoine Cason - CB, Arizona - Speed and change of direction speed are absolute musts as a CB for most NFL defensive systems. Cason is devalued because of both. Reminds me a lot of Alan Zemaitis. (4th round)

Ray Rice - RB, Rutgers - Small scat backs without average speed a dime a dozen in the league. Lorenzo Booker and Darius Walker type fall is applicable here. (4th round)

Vince Hall - LB, VT - HB Blades or Kai Parham part 2? LB's who run 5 sec 40s are few and far between in the NFL. (6th round)

Steve Justice - C, Wake Forest - Great college player but people are realizing he does not have the athleticism or strength to be an NFL starter. Similar to Kyle Young of out Fresno State. (7th round)

ThePudge
03-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Hm... it's Joe Flacco, not Dan

ThePudge
03-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Ernie Sims plays weakside linebacker. With his athleticism Mayo would play MLB in the Tampa 2.

I wasn't saying he would play WLB there, he would play the middle, where the team has a significant hole. I said that he could play OLB too, which enhances his value. Houston and Tennessee are two other possibilities to keep a close eye on.

P-L
03-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't see Detroit taking Mayo at #15. However, because he probably won't be there for their pick in the 2nd Round, I could see them trading back up into the late 1st Round if he's still available.

Modano
03-30-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm the only one who thinks Chris Johnson will be picked in the first? If the Cowboys stays at 28, I think they're gonna pick him...

marks01234
03-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm the only one who thinks Chris Johnson will be picked in the first? If the Cowboys stays at 28, I think they're gonna pick him...

I could see it.

Heck the Jags took Matt Jones in round one.

Teams will always reach for rare athletes.

Addict
03-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I don't see Detroit taking Mayo at #15. However, because he probably won't be there for their pick in the 2nd Round, I could see them trading back up into the late 1st Round if he's still available.

yeah we seem to be quite high on him.