PDA

View Full Version : A few interesting guys on the Steelers roster!

SpottedCow
03-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Justin Vincent RB LSU 5-10 219lbs
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=27812&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=174995&Q_SEASON=2006

Ran for a thousand yards as a rookie setting an LSU record for a freshmen running back. And just look at the awards he got early in his career! Looked to be the future of the team but instead is production kept dropping.

2004 SEC Academic Honor Roll
2004 MVP of BCS National Championship Game (Sugar Bowl)
2003 MVP of SEC Championship Game
2003 First-Team Freshmen All-American (Football Writer's Association)
2003 Freshmen All-SEC Team (Knoxville News-Sentinel

Matt Trannon WR Michigan State 6-6 225lbs
http://www.*************.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10202

Looks like Burress on paper. Has eye popping workout numbers. 36 1/2 inch vertical. Long strider put still manages a 4.55 forty.

Cody Boyd TE Washington State 6-8 264lbs
We have some HUGE TE's. Spaeth and Miller and now this kid.

Jared Zabransky QB Boise St. 6-2 203lbs
Everyone remember his win over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl with there little Statue of Liberty play.

Jeremy Bloom 5-9 180lbs
Should be able to teach the team how to ski the moguls. Was a very exciting return man that had a ton of potential. Hopefully after two years of being on an NFL team and getting back into NFL shape he can get back what he once had.

mikehop05
03-30-2008, 03:24 PM
yeah good call...

itll be interesting to see if these guys develop into anything

DeathbyStat
03-31-2008, 10:55 AM
why did Vincent's production drop?

I really want to see what Zabransky can do in the pre season

terribletowel39
03-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Vincent got hurt one year and LSU got better backs in his place. he still participated but just not as the feature.

i can still remember him ripping the first play open against Oklahoma in the NC game. it was sweetness.

steel man
03-31-2008, 01:31 PM
i have always wanted and liked Matt Trannon WR Michigan State 6-6 225lbs, if you look at my mock from last year you will see me having use taking him. i think Ben will make him even better so see him making the team and ending up as the 3rd WR by the end of the year.

TheWood56
03-31-2008, 07:28 PM
i have always wanted and liked Matt Trannon WR Michigan State 6-6 225lbs, if you look at my mock from last year you will see me having use taking him. i think Ben will make him even better so see him making the team and ending up as the 3rd WR by the end of the year.

Wow, that's a big prediction right there, 3rd WR at seasons end. I hope he does well and can actually make the team to start off with, but we still have Willie Reid, Dallas Baker, possibly Walter Young, and there's always that possibility that we could select a WR come draft time, not to mention all the camp fodder we'll bring in for competition also. So he'll have to fight his way onto the roster first, then if he does make it, he'll have to beat out Nate Washington for that #3 WR spot, and that's a pretty big ask for a guy who couldn't make a teams 53 man roster last season.

I'm not saying he can't do it, or won't do it for that matter, and when you look at his competition, it's not really top notch either, but Reid was drafted in the 3rd round, and I still have some hopes for him as a WR, not as a return man though, and Baker was actually on our PS all of last season, and in a recent article, Tomlin gave him some praise also, so he sounds like he may be a tough guy to beat out, and he's a big WR himself.

Anyways, I was actually quite happy when I heard we picked him up a few months ago, and I hope he does well and can provide Ben with that big WR he wants, but I'm not expecting too much from him.

steel man
03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Wow, that's a big prediction right there, 3rd WR at seasons end. I hope he does well and can actually make the team to start off with, but we still have Willie Reid, Dallas Baker, possibly Walter Young, and there's always that possibility that we could select a WR come draft time, not to mention all the camp fodder we'll bring in for competition also. So he'll have to fight his way onto the roster first, then if he does make it, he'll have to beat out Nate Washington for that #3 WR spot, and that's a pretty big ask for a guy who couldn't make a teams 53 man roster last season.

I'm not saying he can't do it, or won't do it for that matter, and when you look at his competition, it's not really top notch either, but Reid was drafted in the 3rd round, and I still have some hopes for him as a WR, not as a return man though, and Baker was actually on our PS all of last season, and in a recent article, Tomlin gave him some praise also, so he sounds like he may be a tough guy to beat out, and he's a big WR himself.

Anyways, I was actually quite happy when I heard we picked him up a few months ago, and I hope he does well and can provide Ben with that big WR he wants, but I'm not expecting too much from him.

you are right. when you start thinking about it, it will be a lot for him to do. i guess he is one of those guys that once you like him you hope for the best for them and i was just thinking that Ben might want to help him and try to improve him a lot so he would make the team because of his size. as far as Nate goes i like him but he drops some balls at time that disappoint me and if we draft someone with a pick from the 1st 3 rds then they would have a good shot at making the team because we are not going to waste a pick like that. if Ben takes up with him and the coaches see Ben going to him a lot then they might play him more, plus it might be wishful thinking that way we could use that pick on someone else if we found our tall,big WR that Ben wanted

Wishful thinking my friend, Wishful thinking.......and a little hoping also.....lol

TheWood56
04-01-2008, 12:07 AM
you are right. when you start thinking about it, it will be a lot for him to do. i guess he is one of those guys that once you like him you hope for the best for them and i was just thinking that Ben might want to help him and try to improve him a lot so he would make the team because of his size. as far as Nate goes i like him but he drops some balls at time that disappoint me and if we draft someone with a pick from the 1st 3 rds then they would have a good shot at making the team because we are not going to waste a pick like that. if Ben takes up with him and the coaches see Ben going to him a lot then they might play him more, plus it might be wishful thinking that way we could use that pick on someone else if we found our tall,big WR that Ben wanted

Wishful thinking my friend, Wishful thinking.......and a little hoping also.....lol

I totally know what you're saying man. There's just some players that you really like and just really want to see succeed, and when they get the opportunity to suit up and play for your favorite team, you really start rooting for them and for whatever reason start to get high expectations for that player. It's kind of like Gary Russell for me. I really like him and just really want to see him succeed, and I have pretty high expectations for him, even though they may be somewhat unwarranted. There's a few players that I'm like with that, but I try not to get too caught up with that player and try not to expect too much from him just incase it doesn't pan out for him. I'd love to see Trannon make the roster and make some noise out on the field for the Steelers, but I just don't want to get too caught up in it and start expecting he'll make the roster and become a good player, because if that day doesn't come, you get pretty dissapointed.

Anyways, wishful thinking's all it is, as you said, and I wish the guy the best of luck with the Steelers.

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 12:09 AM
hmmmm Z has a chance now to stay on the team since Frenchy is gone

TheWood56
04-01-2008, 12:11 AM
hmmmm Z has a chance now to stay on the team since Frenchy is gone

Especially seeing as though Tomlin likes to carry 3 QB's on the roster.