PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers-Cromartie: only one kidney

TitleTown088
03-30-2008, 10:04 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-spw-nfl30mar30,1,2499801.story
The cornerback from Tennessee State, among the fastest-rising prospects according to pro scouts, has only one kidney. He was born with two but one was non-functioning and was removed when he was 8.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-spw-nfl30mar30,1,2499801.story

WMD
03-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Well that definitely drops him down draft boards. I wouldn't want a Cornerback with only one kidney.

wingboy2999
03-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Strengths:
Naturally athletic and very smooth...Great height with long arms and some growth potential...Very good timed speed with a burst to close...Instinctive and breaks on the ball quickly...Terrific agility...Playmaker with exceptional ball skills...Aggressive and confident...Was pretty productive at his level...Also an excellent kick returner.

Weaknesses:
Needs to add weight and bulk up...Not very physical and has to get stronger...Did not play against top competition...Still raw and will need to work on his technique and footwork...Struggles to shed blocks...Doesn't really offer much in run support.Can't drink worth crap because he is rocking one kidney

Updated...

neko4
03-30-2008, 10:07 PM
how does this affect him football wise?
cant he get a another kidney if that one goes bad?
he shouldnt drink then

BaLLiN
03-30-2008, 10:08 PM
I think Tennesse takes him, that 7th round pick from Dallas will be enough

TitleTown088
03-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Updated...

That be your liver dawg.

TheBuffaloBills
03-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I sure that made him run a forty .01 seconds faster.

wingboy2999
03-30-2008, 10:12 PM
http://puntawarez.com.ar/off-topic/7748-does-drinking-alcohol-affect-you-when-you-only-have-one-kidney.html

Kidney's clear out alcohol too. I think atleast.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Unless whoever was going to draft him was also counting on him as an organ donor, this is a wholly useless piece of draft trivia.

A Perfect Score
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
poor bastard will never know alcohol in all of its glory...do i ever feel sorry for him...ill make sure to have a drink for him next time i drink...

TitleTown088
03-30-2008, 10:15 PM
http://puntawarez.com.ar/off-topic/7748-does-drinking-alcohol-affect-you-when-you-only-have-one-kidney.html

Kidney's clear out alcohol too. I think atleast.
Yeah, they do I'm sure. But it's more associated with da Liver.

BeerBaron
03-30-2008, 10:15 PM
its both, kidneys and liver. i think the liver's more important but you should ideally have both working, lol.

anyway, i dont think this hurts DRC at all. its probably something every teams known about him since.....well, he got onto NFL radar screens.

TitleTown088
03-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Unless whoever was going to draft him was also counting on him as an organ donor, this is a wholly useless piece of draft trivia.

Oh not so sure bout that one chief. I know a buddy who had bad kidneys and wasn't able to play football at all.
What happens if he takes a show in it and hurts it badly? With that said, he is a CB so he could be safe from rockets that could explode his kidney now that Favre is outta the league.

But yeah, it's probably not the biggest deal in the world. Maybe wear a special pad or something.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Why would he have to wear a special pad? His kidney isn't bad, it just doesn't have a spare hanging around.

Just because there's one instead of two doesn't increase the chances of hurting it. In fact, I would say it lowers it.

MetSox17
03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Why would he have to wear a special pad? His kidney isn't bad, it just doesn't have a spare hanging around.

Just because there's one instead of two doesn't increase the chances of hurting it. In fact, I would say it lowers it.

Well sure, but if he hurts his only one he's screwed. If you hurt one when you have a extra it doesn't matter much.

TitleTown088
03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Because if he hurts it badly by some freak chance, he's dead?

One hard helmet do the lower back could potentially damage it, who cares about the probability of one or two.

Scott Wright
03-30-2008, 10:36 PM
This is actually the first I've heard of this but I would be inclined to say it's not going to have much of an effect.

Personally I don't know how it couldn't be a huge concern because if something happens to it he's in big trouble but I guess the NFL docs know more than me.

KCJ58
03-30-2008, 10:49 PM
this will change everything

TitleTown088
03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
This is actually the first I've heard of this but I would be inclined to say it's not going to have much of an effect.

Personally I don't know how it couldn't be a huge concern because if something happens to it he's in big trouble but I guess the NFL docs know more than me.

It sounds like you're contradicting yourself a bit there? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

Brent
03-30-2008, 11:00 PM
It sounds like you're contradicting yourself a bit there? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding?

Misunderstanding, what he said makes sense but "don't know how it couldn't" is a litote, which can be confusing.

steelernation77
03-30-2008, 11:25 PM
"The American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians and the Medical Society of Sports Medicine have suggested that people with one kidney avoid sports that involve higher risks of heavy contact or collision. This includes boxing, field hockey, football, ice hockey, Lacrosse, martial arts, rodeo, soccer and wrestling. Anyone with a single kidney who decides to participate in these sports should be extra careful and wear protective padding. He or she should understand that the consequences of losing a single kidney are very serious."

http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/kidneycaucus/onekidney.html

Scott Wright
03-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Basically what I am saying is that I would think it would be a major factor. However, since this hasn't been a big story until now I would assume that NFL teams don't view it as a major problem. It will be interesting to see if anything comes of this I guess.

BroadwayJoe10
03-30-2008, 11:54 PM
It's a pretty serious concern, but generally is more important in children than adults. The uppermost part of the kidneys are somewhat covered by the 11th and 12th rib..adults also have a longer time to develop the two layers of fat that help to pad both kidneys.

Alcohol can have an affect on the kidnyes, but it's not exactly sure why just yet. The kidneys are here to maintain homeostatic functions, like electrolyte and your general salt & acid/base balances. Basically consuming a crap ton of booze will just throw off the ions in the body, because the kidneys are filtering that in excess of their normal duties...

This having been said, if he does somehow puncture his kidney and it fails he will need a transplant, which can be dangerous. The kidney donor list and the medical board at whatever hospital he'll be at generally won't give him one if he continues to perform his dangerous lifestyle; although this is the nfl and one of the biggest businesses in the world so i have no idea if the hospital could be swayed..im assuming a nice donation to their hospital wouldn't hurt. It would definately be interesting to hear what their PR people would say if the question of a transplant was brought up.

MetSox17
03-30-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm sure if he's a top 10 pick a GM will coerce a scrub teammate into
coughing up a kidney in exchange for a 3 year deal with a 7 million dollar
signing bonus. lol

nobodyinparticular
03-31-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm so glad so many 17 year old juniors in high school are weighing in on the effects of missing a kidney in regards to football.

Scott Wright
03-31-2008, 02:29 AM
I'm so glad so many 17 year old juniors in high school are weighing in on the effects of missing a kidney in regards to football.

I don't think that's really called for...

Nobody here has said they are a doctor or an expert, it's just speculation and a discussion about a top draft prospect. No need to turn it negative.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-31-2008, 02:42 AM
An interesting article on the subject: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/538898

Researchers looked into the risks from various sports to children and adolescents with a single kidney and found that cycling, not football as might be expected, poses the greatest risk.
"We think that restriction of participation of a child or adolescent from contact or collision sports just because they only have a single kidney is probably unwarranted," Dr Matthew M Grinsell (University of Virginia, Charlottesville) concluded.

And this is for children who don't have the additional protection that adults build up around that part of their body. Every few years you hear about a player getting a lacerated kidney while playing football, but it's almost always an offensive player who was tackled directly in that spot. I think the idea that this is a major problem is pretty ridiculous, because any major kidney injury, whether a guy has two or one, typically ends a career.

The Legend
03-31-2008, 03:19 AM
wish the guy best of luck but im sorry to say but i think some teams maybe be a bit scared to draft him this may drop his stock a bit, i think he will be the 3rd corner drafted, still can be #2

D-Rod
03-31-2008, 08:15 AM
I would be surprised if this didn't have a significant effect.

As some have mentioned, the issue is not the likelihood of an injury, but the potential consequences of even a minor injury. Sportsmen in high contact sports often suffer minor injuries to internal organs, but are able to play through them or undergo only a brief recovery period.

If DRC takes any kind of injury to the kidney, it would necessitate considerably more caution in his returning to the lineup than a player who has two.

On the other hand: firstly, it evidently hasn't been a problem for his college career; secondly, I guess there's actually less likelihood of taking a hit to the kidney if you've only got one rather than two...

Scott Wright
03-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Just wanted to thank you guys for doing a little research on the topic and saving me the time!

I posted some of what you found in my blog entry today:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/blog/wrightstuff.html

AtariBigby
03-31-2008, 08:37 AM
On a sidenote for some of you younger fans here:
Did you know that in 1992 when new Packers GM Ron Wolf took over and wanted to immediately trade for 2nd year QB Brett Favre with Atlanta, that his Packers team doctors wouldn't 'clear' him essentially, because of some hip problem he had?
Doctors tried to dissuade Wolf from banking on him, saying his career would be short because of that.......

MetSox17
03-31-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't know how much value this takes away from him, but I think it's safe to say that he won't be returning many kicks during his career. The one thing he has going in his favor in this situation is that he plays defense, and he's the one doing the hitting, but when you have him back there trying to dodge players that have 30 yards of speed already on them, you can't help but worry.

gice1212
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Updated...

I've only got one kidney and I can drink damn well...Also one kidney I wouldn't think is that big of a deal assuming whatever shut down his kidney in the first place is gone. One kidney can perform 100% of the duty that two kidneys do with no problem. Although his situation is a little different than mine, I got one put in instead of getting one taken out. He should be able to get hit the same way anyone else in the league can and have no trouble. Just look at it this way, how many kidney injuries do you see in the NFL every year? None. He only has one kidney that can be hit instead of two, I consider it an advantage HAHA

Addict
03-31-2008, 01:10 PM
I was under the impression that the second kidney was just a failsafe. Plus the risk described as 'in case the one kidney fails' yeah, but kidney failure is a b**** no matter how many of them you have. He's obviously played with a single kidney all this time and has played extremely well, showing no signs of any problems concerning having only half a duo.

This is just typical overreaction in my book.

Xiomera
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
He may not have both kidneys but if he is anything like John Locke from LOST, it will only prove beneficial in the event he is shot.

haha

azbmxican
03-31-2008, 03:07 PM
whens the last time you screwed up your kidney

TitleTown088
03-31-2008, 03:28 PM
whens the last time you screwed up your kidney

When is the last time I played professional football?

JT Jag
03-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey, wouldn't it just, you know... give him more aerodynamicness?

Turbeauxdog
04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I have never heard of a NFL football player losing one of his kidneys from a football injury. So if a player has never lost one, wouldn't it be safe to assume there is very very little chance DRC would have an injury that would cause him to lose his?

Addict
04-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey, wouldn't it just, you know... give him more aerodynamicness?

you're right! This isn't DRC's monster in the closet, it's his X-Factor!

GermanSaint
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
pretty old news . and no : it wouldnt affect his draft stock , he will be way overdrafted anyways.

MetSox17
04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I have never heard of a NFL football player losing one of his kidneys from a football injury. So if a player has never lost one, wouldn't it be safe to assume there is very very little chance DRC would have an injury that would cause him to lose his?

Well maybe not lost a kidney, but I personally, had never seen anyone rupture their spleen playing football either, and it happened two years ago with Chris Simms. If he's out there returning kicks, the possibility is there for him to get hit somewhere near the kidney area. It doesn't necessarily have to be a direct hit to completely destroy it, but it could take him down for a while.