PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Picks

Scott Wright
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
A guy e-mailed me this link to this site / blog where he runs down forty of the best and worst NFL Draft picks from the last ten years. It's kind of an interesting read if you've got some time to kill:

http://www.duffysports.com/Draft_Coverage.php

Flyboy
03-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Colston at number fifteen. Nice.

neko4
03-30-2008, 10:40 PM
when will we learn time is going exstinct?
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/407411/2/istockphoto_407411_killing_time.jpg
Al Harris
Donald Driver
KGB
Nice
Basically the core of the team the last 5 years

Why did he put Taylor at #1?

A Perfect Score
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
if u check at the top, it has the worst and teh most unlucky too :) yay for scott

neko4
03-30-2008, 10:47 PM
if u check at the top, it has the worst and teh most unlucky too :) yay for scott
oh thats why taylor is number one
i thought he was number one on the worst players list

kalbears13
03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Browns- 4 bad picks, 0 good picks.

I feel Andra Davis should be on that list for good picks. He was a 5th round pick who had been the only positive of the Browns' defense for 4 years.

art vandelay
03-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Where's Erik Flowers? He was a colossal bust for the Bills.

vidae
03-31-2008, 01:05 AM
gogo Jared Allen!

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-31-2008, 01:05 AM
28. Matt Birk C Minnesota Vikings 173 overall (6th round) 1998
Birk may not be the smartest guy out there, but he makes up for his embarrassing lack of general knowledge with raw strength and technique. He slid on the draft board for two reasons: 1. Teams are reluctant to use a first-day pick on a center and 2. Teams are reluctant to draft a player with such immense off-the-field problems. Luckily for the Vikings, Birk was able to put his shoddy past behind him and become a six-time Pro Bowler.

What were Matt Birk's off the field issues?

thebow305
03-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Anyone else think it's funny that Denver drafted Maurice Clarett over Marion Barber? Good stuff! :)

The Dude Abides
03-31-2008, 01:38 AM

It's a joke dude. He also said he was dumb in there....Birk graduated from Harvard.

The Legend
03-31-2008, 03:25 AM
i dont think Robert Gallery and Bryant Johnson are bad picks
i do think Pacman Jones should be on there thou, not as unlucky

BaLLiN
03-31-2008, 05:39 AM
Tuck was a steal, so were almost all of the players we picked last year. Also Gibril Wilson i think was picked in the 4th or 5th round

JagHombre22
03-31-2008, 05:41 AM
that's the most ridiculous list I've ever read....MJD not being on the best 40 and Matt Jones being higher than Carlos Rogers and David Carr? WTF....that list makes me angry and you don't want to see me when I'm angry...

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/images/biological%20effects/hulk.jpg

Brent
03-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Anyone else think it's funny that Denver drafted Maurice Clarett over Marion Barber? Good stuff!
Barber in that offense is a scary thought.

Shane P. Hallam
03-31-2008, 08:52 AM
that's the most ridiculous list I've ever read....MJD not being on the best 40 and Matt Jones being higher than Carlos Rogers and David Carr? WTF....that list makes me angry and you don't want to see me when I'm angry...

Matt Jones was more of a stupid pick than Rogers and Carr though. Taking a QB as a WR in the 1st, not smart :P

MetSox17
03-31-2008, 09:01 AM

lol, when i first read that part i was thinking WTF also, but after re-reading it i sensed the sarcasm.. it's kinda out of the blue though cause he seemed to be pretty serious about all the info he wrote on the players except for that one.

Shane P. Hallam
03-31-2008, 09:28 AM
lol, when i first read that part i was thinking WTF also, but after re-reading it i sensed the sarcasm.. it's kinda out of the blue though cause he seemed to be pretty serious about all the info he wrote on the players except for that one.

Apparently you didn't read all of it, lol, he dropped a lot of jokes.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM

I took it the same way, I thought he was very serious. I guess I need to be more keen on sarcasm.

MaxV
03-31-2008, 12:16 PM
9. Alex Smith QB San Francisco 49ers 1 overall (1st round) 2005
The Niners just picked the wrong year to be terrible. San Fran had a glaring need at quarterback, and given the success of recent No. 1 overall QB’s, Bill Walsh made Utah’s Alex Smith the top pick. Within two years, it became very clear that Smith was more or less a system quarterback in college and would never live up to his draft stock. Unfortunately, the Niners didn’t have much of a choice— Aaron Rodgers was the next quarterback off the board at No. 25.

I've been saying this for awhile.

Before the 2005 draft, both Leinart and Ferguson decided to stay in school, along with some other top junior prospects, which left 9ers with virtually no choice.

sodar21
03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
It would be something if the list used the information available at the time of the pick. No one can predict injuries (unless the player had a history of them going into the NFL).

Crickett
03-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Ive been looking at this list and Ive was thinking that there were people who should have been higher and some that should have been lower. Then I came to
Worst pick #29 Bryant Johnson. He has no business being on that list after being stuck in the slot receiver role since his second season when the Cardinals decided to draft a #2 receiver 3rd overall. Even worse because there is an "extenuating circumstances" list. What more extenuating circumstances is there than getting stuck through no fault of your own on a depth chart behind one of the best WR duo's in the NFL? Second only to New England, Indianpolis (two of the best offenses of all time) and for the time being, Cincinnati.

And the explanations for #20 and #19 never established themselves and didn't explain why they lasted just five season in the NFL. They were written before better explanations such as Peter Warrick and Troy Williamson.

Oh my god, Gerrard Warren averaged 44 tackles PER GAME in Cleveland? How can you call him a bust??? :D

Millen could have drafted Andre Johnson, but at the time, did anyone, ANYONE, even me who had Andre Johnson rated higher think they would or even should pass on Michigan State's Charles Rogers? Especially when he had the single season touchdown record prior to Larry Fitzgerald breaking it.

You know what the scary thing is? After the '03 draft, I remember a radio interview asking the Jets GM who he would have gone with if Robertson was off the board. He said Jonathan Sullivan.

Seriously, Janikowski #3 worst pick? Worse than Tim Couch? Worse than Curtis Enis? Worse than Cade McNown and Charles Rogers and Jonathan Sullivan? Seriously? I disagree with a lot of the ranking. Including the Matt Jones one who belongs way down the list. But seriously, who here would say that if you had a choice between Sebastian Janokowski or CADE MCNOWN being on their team, would anyone at all go with McNown?

bearsfan_51
03-31-2008, 01:38 PM
Interesting list but I disagree with a lot of it.

Pac-Man Jones on the unlucky list for example. It's not luck when you know a player is a turd, you draft him, and he turns out to be a turd.

AlexDown
03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Not one Jets pick, interesting.

d34ng3l021
03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
I dont see really how Vick and Taylor or bad picks...they were good picks at the time and did well for the franchise until their football careers were stopped. I wouldnt call it a 'bad pick.' Eh. Maybe I am just not understanding...

I am pretty upset to see that Michael Boley did not make that list...109 tackles at the SLB position. 3 sacks (all against P. Manning). 2 interceptions. 4 FFs. 7 PDs. He looks to be a future top SLB in the league...

5th round pick.

SuperMcGee
03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
McGahee was here for 4 years, but actually only played about 2 and a half. And when he did it usually wasn't much above average. I wouldn't call his lazy days here grounds to be one of the best picks just because he was able to come back from the injury. Yes he's playing very well in Baltimore now, but he was an average first round pick for the team that drafted him.

fenikz
03-31-2008, 02:20 PM
0 Good Picks / 4 Bad Picks and 2 Unlucky picks for the Cardinals

I don't know why they thought Boston was unlucky as a Cardinal because he put up some huge numbers here he just sucked after he left

He averaged 934 yards over his 1st 4 years in the league as a Cardinal

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-31-2008, 09:10 PM
I dont see really how Vick and Taylor or bad picks...they were good picks at the time and did well for the franchise until their football careers were stopped. I wouldnt call it a 'bad pick.' Eh. Maybe I am just not understanding...

Vick and Taylor were listed under the unlucky section.

d34ng3l021
03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Vick and Taylor were listed under the unlucky section.

Oh. Didnt see that.

BrownsTown
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM

I am pretty upset to see that Michael Boley did not make that list...109 tackles at the SLB position. 3 sacks (all against P. Manning). 2 interceptions. 4 FFs. 7 PDs. He looks to be a future top SLB in the league...

5th round pick.

They were both under the "unlucky picks" section. No way you can say Sean Taylor was a bad pick, he was on his way to greatness.

BuddyCHRIST
03-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Don't see how Matt Jones is a worse pick than Charles Rogers

DonWoods33
03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
What happened to Peter Warrick? He was just flat out awesome at FSU, and didn't do a thing in the NFL. One of the mysteries of life I guess.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
What happened to Peter Warrick? He was just flat out awesome at FSU, and didn't do a thing in the NFL. One of the mysteries of life I guess.

He is on Team Florida in the AAFL.

Michigan
03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
woo millen! 0 top 40 picks, but 3 of the top 15 worst!!

MetSox17
03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Don't see how Matt Jones is a worse pick than Charles Rogers

Well injuries and pot got in the way of Charles Rogers' career. He was as great a prospect to come out, at a position he played at for most of his college career. Matt Jones had a highlight or two in the senior bowl, ran a 4.38, and can dunk a basketball with relative ease, and was drafted in the first round to play a position he had played for a whole game.

that's why

RaiderNation
03-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Janikowski shouldnt be as high. he should be like 15 to 20. gallery should be higher

LonghornsLegend
04-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Did I miss Patrick Crayton or something? Because I did skim pretty fast but I know he has to be on here:

500 yds and 4 tds 2 years ago
700 yds and 7 tds this year

Granted he's not in Colstons ballpark but for a 7th rd pick that deserves some recognition.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-01-2008, 12:24 AM
To the people who are saying Boley and Crayton should be there, they definitely have potential, but they haven't done enough to get on this list yet. It doesn't (and shouldn't) take potential into account; it just deals with what the players have actually accomplished.

LonghornsLegend
04-01-2008, 12:48 AM

He was one of the best WR's Ive ever seen play, period. His FSU days were incredible, when the ball was in his hands he could score, no one could cover him, and his game speed just seemed so much faster then everyone else...It really is a mystery how he never amounted to anything, no one saw that coming and there's nothing to really link it to other then him never panning out...He should of been higher on that list.

@pmd your right about Crayton, I just figured if they were factoring in best picks they shouldnt of had so many top 5 picks, and included alot more steals in rounds 6 & 7...Although Ill be the first to admit Boley should get some pub before Crayton because his numbers were incredible.

bearsfan_51
04-01-2008, 02:05 AM
I also TOTALLY disagree with the notion that drafting a lesser player later is better than drafting a superior player with a higher pick. For example, Peyton Manning is 14th, but Hines Ward is 3rd?

Give me a fudging break.

You tell me which player is more important to his franchise. Imagine if the Colts took Ryan Leaf instead of Peyton Manning. You're telling me that Hines freakin' Ward is a better pick that that?

Geo
04-01-2008, 02:21 AM
This is where I sort of scratched my head about this, or rather the idea of this, when I first read it. I think a distinction should be made, between best picks in terms of draft value and best picks in general/for the franchise. I think a list of the former is the way to go, which probably eliminates guys like Manning. First overall pick of an entire draft class, would have been the first overall pick of the Jets the year before if he declared as a junior (imagine Manning, Parcells, and Belichick united, the football equivalent of Skynet).

Obviously the draft value isn't considerable, there's not much savvy at hand when you've got the pick of the entire class at your disposal ... but in terms of value to the franchise, Manning changed the face and the fate of the franchise. He'll help launch almost two decades of success to rally around. If the Colts didn't draft Peyton Manning, they'd be playing in Los Angeles right now in all likelihood.

The addition of Orlando Pace to the Rams, St. Louis traded up with Parcell's Jets in 1997 to get him. Giving up four picks and paying the first overall pick hurts in the sense of draft value, but he added a great deal to the franchise, helping turnaround a laugher of a team into a Super Bowl champion and playoff contender.

I really like the idea of picking the best picks in recent drafts, but I think making the distinction for draft value is the best way to do it.

needled24_7
04-01-2008, 02:26 AM
haha it says brandon jacobs came out of northern illinois

Addict
04-01-2008, 08:02 AM
woo millen! 0 top 40 picks, but 3 of the top 15 worst!!

yes it's very very very horrible.

toddmlazarchick
04-01-2008, 01:25 PM

remind me why carlos rogers needs to be higher then matt jones??

MetSox17
04-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Anyone see a little Peter Warrick in Percy Harvin?? Hmm..

Flyboy
04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
First overall pick of an entire draft class, would have been the first overall pick of the Jets the year before if he declared as a junior (imagine Manning, Parcells, and Belichick united, the football equivalent of Skynet).

You're a goddamn fool.

GB12
04-01-2008, 10:13 PM
How is Aaron Kampman not on there?

TheBuffaloBills
04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I was waiting to see how bad Mike Williams OT was rated. I knew we should have gotten McKinnie