PDA

View Full Version : NFL to announce Week 1 primetime and Thanksgiving games Monday

Geo
03-30-2008, 11:38 PM
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/03/schedule-on-deck.html

Schedule on deck
11:05 AM Sun, Mar 30, 2008
Albert Breer

The NFL is expected to release its national television schedule for the season's opening weekend and Thanksgiving tomorrow, during the first day of the league's owner's meetings.

The rest of schedule was tentatively slated to be released on Thursday, though that has come off the NFL Network television schedule since.
(Similar to this announcement in 2006 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2386175).)

Post your guesses or games you'd like to see, if willing.

A little help: It is Fox's turn to host the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, meaning they will play an NFC team.

PackerLegend
03-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Packers and Lions has been a tradition on thanksgiving for the most part except a couple years recently.

djp
03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
My guess is for the Thursday game, it will be the Colts @ Vikings.

The Dynasty
03-31-2008, 12:18 AM
My guess is for the Thursday game, it will be the Colts @ Vikings.

Wouldn't it be the Redskins @ Giants?. In the past years the Thursday game has been the Winning Superbowl team at Home.

Maybe Colts @ Vikings on Monday Night. Which I hope the Vikings play on Monday because I think it with September 8th and thats my Birthday so that would be cool.

zoinks
03-31-2008, 12:51 AM
The Lions' Thanksgiving game this year will be against an AFC opponent....and the only AFC teams visiting Detroit this year are the Titans and Jaguars.

So on Thanksgiving Day, it'll either be Jags@Lions or Titans@Lions .

JagHombre22
03-31-2008, 12:54 AM
as always I'd love to see the Jags play on Thanksgiving but I doubt it will happen anytime soon...

Geo
03-31-2008, 01:06 AM
My guesses as follows.

TNF: Washington Redskins @ New York Giants. Given.

FOX afternoon/nationally-televised game: Indianapolis Colts @ Green Bay Packers. Colts have opened the season in primetime four straight years, but only the Cowboys could bump them. No Favre might mean this isn't worth keeping for November sweeps.

SNF: Dallas Cowboys @ Pittsburgh Steelers. That's a real nice primetime game, plus it's the 30th anniversary of the 78 season, which ended in Super Bowl XIII where the Steelers beat the Cowboys 35-31.

MNF double-header: Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers. First game opens up on the east coast, Bucs give the game legitimacy as a playoff team last year. Plus it's a divisional game which hopefully helps scoring, and the Panthers have added weapons this offseason.

MNF double-header: Denver Broncos @ Oakland Raiders. Second game on the west coast, similar situation to the above in having two division rivals - who turned in two good games last season.

Thanksgiving CBS: Jacksonville Jaguars @ Detroit Lions. CBS hosts the Lions and has to have an AFC team, it's either the Jags or the Titans. I'll give the nod to the Jags.

Thanksgiving FOX: Philadelphia Eagles @ Dallas Cowboys. Fox hosts the Cowboys and has to have an NFC opponent, but I think it might be too long a trip for the Seahawks to travel on a very short week. Bucs ... eh, we saw the Cowboys destroy the Bucs on Thanksgiving in 2006, do we need a repeat? We don't often see NFC East opponents against the Cowboys (twice in 15 years according to the linked blog, both times the Redskins), but I'll go with the Eagles because they are a feasible opponent to have when a 2007 NFC playoff team isn't available.

Thanksgiving NFLN: Anybody's guess, but I'll just say Chicago Bears @ Houston Texans. Texans fans will pack the dome, and having a dome is big, plus the Bears will bring ratings. Could be a really good game.

RaiderNation
03-31-2008, 01:38 AM
raiders wont have a monday night game again :(

The Legend
03-31-2008, 02:52 AM
im guessing Giants vs Cowboys & Vikings vs Lions & Chiefs vs Broncos thanksgiving

M.O.T.H.
03-31-2008, 03:26 AM
Nice...they released the schedules later last season. I wasnt expecting them so soon.

Thunder&Lightning
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
would love to see the chargers get a thanksgiving game.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
The Lions I think play on CBS this year because they rotate.

So that means its either Tennessee at Detroit or Jacksonville at Detroit.

PoopSandwich
03-31-2008, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Browns Colts on monday night.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
cowboys at packers MNF week one
giants at cowboys Thanksgiving

those are my guesses

Young Legend
03-31-2008, 10:54 AM
anybody know the time they are gonna release it.?

The Dynasty
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Vikings-Packers to open on Monday night
March 31st, 2008 – 10:38 AM by Judd Zulgad

The NFL will announce this afternoon that the Vikings will play the Green Bay Packers in the Monday night opener at 6 p.m. Sept. 8 on ESPN, according to an industry source. As has become the custom, it will be the first game of a Monday night doubleheader on the network. The game is expected to be played at Lambeau Field and will be the first for the Packers in the post-Brett Favre era. (Do you think there will be a little talk about Favre that night?)

The Vikings also played on the opening Monday night of the 2006 season when they beat Washington in Brad Childress’ first game as head coach.

Last season, the Vikings made only one Monday night appearance. That came Dec. 17 at the Metrodome. Of course, the 2007 schedule was done long before Adrian Peterson proved himself to be one of the NFL’s top running backs and marquee attractions. Overall, the Vikings finished with two prime-time games last season. The Dec. 23 matchup against Washington was moved to Sunday night on NBC under the league’s flexible scheduling system.

For those of you who live in the Twin Cities area and don’t get ESPN, you don’t have to worry. Under NFL rules, the network must find a local station to simulcast the coverage. It’s likely that station will be KSTP (Ch. 5).

The NFL won’t announce its entire schedule today but rather just key dates associated with the opening week. This will include the opener on Thursday, Sept. 4, along with the Sept. 7 national and Sunday night games.

News about the plans for the opening game on Thursday night broke last week. That matchup will involve the Super Bowl champion New York Giants and Washington Redskins and is expected to start around 6 p.m. to avoid any conflict with the Republican National Convention.

This will be the sixth time the Vikings have opened against the Packers. A look at their previous meetings in season openers:

Sept. 16, 1962: Packers 34, Vikings 7 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 2-11-1)

Sept. 15, 1974: Vikings 32, Packers 17 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 10-4)

Sept. 6, 1992: Vikings 23, Packers 20, overtime, at Green Bay (Vikings finished 11-5 in Dennis Green’s first season)

Sept. 4, 1994: Packers 16, Vikings 10 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 10-6)

Sept. 7, 2003: Vikings 30, Packers 25 at Green Bay (Vikings finished 9-7)

Well I got my wish for Vikings on Monday night.

Geo
03-31-2008, 11:28 AM
That's cool, Vikings @ Packers is a great game to open MNF for a new season.

(Although now there is no way for the Colts to play on the Fox nationally-televised afternoon game, assuming Fox still has it this year like in the last few. Dallas could be the team of course, as they were in 2006 when they played at Jacksonville, but Dallas might be too much a draw coming off a 13-3 season to not play in primetime.)

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Packers/Vikes will be a good game to watch.

Tough game for Aaron Rodgers though in Week 1. The load theoretically should be all on Rodgers with the run D that the Vikings have. Luckily the Vikings secondary has some problems.

LonghornsLegend
03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Brett Favre/Aaron Rogers and Peterson should provide an interesting storyline for that game...Both sides of the ball will key in on those two players.

And im sure Dallas will have plenty primetime games so im not worried, even if not scheduled they will be through the latter half of the season when they choose the games(is that still happening this year?)

Young Legend
03-31-2008, 12:35 PM
Word is Oakland and Denver got the second game on monday..got no link yet.

661rep
03-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Word is Oakland and Denver got the second game on monday..got no link yet.

Yeah I just read the same thing on the Raiders board. Some guy said the Commisioner announced it during a press conference on the nfl network.

Number 10
03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Giants were trying to get out of the Thanksgiving game in Dallas...so that would lead me to believe they are slated for that spot as of right now unless the NFL complies....which they did not do with the opening night game where the Giants requested the game be against the Bengals or Seahawks.

Young Legend
03-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah I just read the same thing on the Raiders board. Some guy said the Commisioner announced it during a press conference on the nfl network.

I Seen it on NFLN.its on the bottom of the screen.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jsessionid=C9A1AE635A95E29B2221D7D1AE9BC415? id=09000d5d8077fc99&template=with-video&confirm=true

Young Legend
03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Here is the Video

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8077fe58

661rep
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Here is the Video

Denver @ Oakland.... hell yeaaaah

Xiomera
03-31-2008, 01:02 PM
The Lions I think play on CBS this year because they rotate.

So that means its either Tennessee at Detroit or Jacksonville at Detroit.

Blasphemy . . . Lions should always play a division opponant on Thanksgiving. Just as the Cowboys should always play the Skins, Eagles, or Giants.

Addict
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Blasphemy . . . Lions should always play a division opponant on Thanksgiving. Just as the Cowboys should always play the Skins, Eagles, or Giants.

I second that notion. Traditions dammit!

Geo
03-31-2008, 01:15 PM
If the Lions or Cowboys are playing on CBS, it's against an AFC opponent.

And as stated in the Dallas news blog, the Cowboys have played an NFC East rival on Thanksgiving only twice in the last 15 years. Both times the Redskins.

BufFan71
03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
dont u think Buffalo deserves another MNF game?

After the Dallas/Bills game last year...
that game was amzing, the crowd was wild, the game was close

gdamac
03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
dont u think Buffalo deserves another MNF game?

After the Dallas/Bills game last year...
that game was amzing, the crowd was wild, the game was close

I'll agree with that, with they young guys on offense and Posluszny coming back they should be an exciting team.

Geo
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Here is the Video

Whoa, the Commish announced the SNF game too.

Chicago Bears @ Indianapolis Colts. Awesome, rematch of SB XLI and the unveiling of Lucas Oil Field on primetime.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I second that notion. Traditions dammit!

Yeah I like division games myself on Thanksgiving.

I hope we play the Titans and at least look respectable because I think Jacksonville will just destroy us. I'm sick of getting blown out like we have the last 4 Thanksgiving games.

It probably will be the Titans because of Vince Young.

GB12
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm not a big fan of this. First I don't really like my team on Monday Night games to begin with. If it was up to me I'd have every Packer game on Sunday at noon. Secondly it's the first week of the season, which means even a longer wait for real football. And finally this means that Rodgers' first start will be in primetime, although that could be kind of interesting.

Geo
03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
The harder the schedule and the more primetime games, the better imo. Good preparation for the playoffs.

SFbear
03-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Yay our rookie OT gets to play his first NFL game on primetime game against the Colts DEs. Awesome. I predict we'll be down to our third string QB by the second half.

umphrey
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Packers/Vikes will be a good game to watch.

Tough game for Aaron Rodgers though in Week 1. The load theoretically should be all on Rodgers with the run D that the Vikings have. Luckily the Vikings secondary has some problems.

Actually last year everyone expected us to pass when we played the Vikings and we ended up pounding the rock on the ground. We were one of the few teams to successfully run over the Vikings D. 2008 is a different year though.

BaLLiN
03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
alright! Manningbowl II the battle of the MVPs

bearsfan_51
03-31-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm a little suprised the Bears got the main primetime slot. Then again we're just the sacrificial lamb for the Colts. I'm glad we can get that game out of the way early though.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Actually last year everyone expected us to pass when we played the Vikings and we ended up pounding the rock on the ground. We were one of the few teams to successfully run over the Vikings D. 2008 is a different year though.

Yeah 119 yards with a 30 yard td run is a very nice day running the ball for Grant. Favre did throw 46 passes as well in the 34-0 win with 3 tds and was extremely efficient. Running the ball like that will be crucial. It can be done obviously as you did it last year but won't be easy.

Losing Udeze might hurt that run defense some too. But with the Williams' in the middle, I never like that matchup for any team.

Geo
03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Never ever forget:

Don't kick to Hester.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Never ever forget:

Don't kick to Hester.

Kick the ball into Lake Michigan. Thats Marinellis philosophy on special teams when playing the Bears.

Flyboy
03-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Never ever forget:

Don't kick to Hester.

We learned that the hard way. :(

RaiderFan
03-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Who the hell is hester.........If i was the head coach i would kick to him, i heard he is slow

fenikz
03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Who the hell is hester.........If i was the head coach i would kick to him, i heard he is slow

ya i mean the guy only ran a 4.6 at the combine how good could he be, i don't seen him breaking any records any time soon

Nitschke-Hawk
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
I can't wait.

Xonraider
03-31-2008, 08:36 PM

Yeah... I didn't see him at that Raiders game did you?

ESimsfan87
03-31-2008, 08:50 PM
So does anyone know what's the deal with why we haven't heard about the Thanksgiving games yet? As a Lions fan this is all I cared about regarding this story since we still suck and will never open a season.

BufFan71
03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
So does anyone know what's the deal with why we haven't heard about the Thanksgiving games yet? As a Lions fan this is all I cared about regarding this story since we still suck and will never open a season.

you got that right

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-31-2008, 10:02 PM

I can narrow it down for you.

Its either Tennessee at Detroit or Jax at Detroit

Its a CBS game this year so these are the only 2 options.

Most likely Ten because of VY IMO

yodabear
03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
I personally think the Rams-Dolphins got the shaft.

LonghornsLegend
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Whens the last time Dallas or Det didnt have a thanksgiving game? Just seems like its been that way for some time but I could be overlooking a year.

PackerLegend
03-31-2008, 11:37 PM
Whens the last time Dallas or Det didnt have a thanksgiving game? Just seems like its been that way for some time but I could be overlooking a year.

ahhh Last year the Packers played the Lions on thanksgiving.... thats been more a tradition then Dallas vs Detroit.

OzTitan
04-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I think he meant when was the last time neither played on thanksgiving (i.e. not necessarily played each other).....Dallas v Detroit isn't a yearly fixture unless North is playing East, or they both finish in the same placement in this division.

Geo
04-01-2008, 12:39 AM
You might want to check this out:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/thanksgiving.jsp