PDA

View Full Version : Worst ESPN Draft Personality

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
These two have been bothering me with their draft insight for awhile now, so I must now pose the question to everyone else. Which ESPN guy is a bigger idiot, Todd McShay or Merril Hodge. Personally I think both are complete idiots and really don't have much to add to draft talk at all.

Just wondered what other think.

princefielder28
03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Merril Hodge really has no idea whatsoever about the draft

Todd McShay says some stupid stuff at points but overall he dominates Merril

GaMeTiMe
03-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah, Hodge has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to the draft. He just tries to identify the team's biggest need and usually fails doing even just that.

falconsrule
03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
It has to be Mike Mayock.........

vidae
03-31-2008, 12:13 PM

He's not on the ESPN draft draft panel.

I'd pick Merril Hodge personally, but if I could pick someone else, I'd pick Keyshawn Johnson. Every pick he'd say the same thing.. "I think they need to go WR here" or "They really need to address the WR position" etc. I hope he's not back on this year.

Sveen
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I like Merril Hoge's job on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPgcSwWnYrk) clip from '06 ;)

princefielder28
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
I like Merril Hoge's job on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPgcSwWnYrk) clip from '06 ;)

wow! that's why they pay him the big bucks

Brent
03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I like that Hodge is the only one without a man-crush on Vince Young. But for me it's Mort.

Crickett
03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Too bad Sean Salisbury isn't there. Otherwise I'd go with him.
Disclaimer: it's not too bad Sean Salibury isn't there

Addict
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM

... I don't know the date of that clip, but... until Mario signed the deal with the texans everyone assumed Reggie Bush would go 1st overall, so really it isn't that crazy.

Sportsfan486
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
... I don't know the date of that clip, but... until Mario signed the deal with the texans everyone assumed Reggie Bush would go 1st overall, so really it isn't that crazy.

Mario to Tennessee with the second pick... .... ...... New Orleans had the second pick. They were talking about NO and Hodge was talking about Tennessee being New Orleans for about 40 seconds.

AllDayFootball724
03-31-2008, 01:06 PM

I think you miss the point he was talking about the Titans the whole time and saying Jeff Fisher. Then they tell him again that they are talking about NO.

Sniper
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM

He meant the fact that Hoge was talking about Williams to the Titans with the #2 pick when the Saints owned that pick

Addict
03-31-2008, 01:13 PM
I think you miss the point he was talking about the Titans the whole time and saying Jeff Fisher. Then they tell him again that they are talking about NO.

Mario to Tennessee with the second pick... .... ...... New Orleans had the second pick. They were talking about NO and Hodge was talking about Tennessee being New Orleans for about 40 seconds.

He meant the fact that Hoge was talking about Williams to the Titans with the #2 pick when the Saints owned that pick

Wow... three reactions? Yeah I missed that part, but seriously, three? No need to get that excited.

And... everybody kinda makes mistakes, it's human.

RaiderFan
03-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Mel kiper is the best on draft day.......I like how he punked the Dolphins for Picking ted ginn

hugegmenfan
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Hodge is an idiot. he knows nothing about the draft or even football for that matter- mcshay is a dummy too but he has some bright moments

Addict
03-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Mel kiper is the best on draft day.......I like how he punked the Dolphins for Picking ted ginn

wow... you just 180'd the topic.

Sniper
03-31-2008, 01:18 PM
Wow... three reactions? Yeah I missed that part, but seriously, three? No need to get that excited.

And... everybody kinda makes mistakes, it's human.

We pretty much all posted at the same time except for me, because I was too lazy to scroll all the way down. Mea culpa. I wasn't making fun of you.

megansett56BC
03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
I firmly believe that ESPN pays Hoge to try to make everyone else that much smarter. However, they fail to realize that it just makes Hoge look really really stupid instead.

VoteLynnSwan
03-31-2008, 01:20 PM
All of ESPN's guys are pretty terrible

bearsfan_51
03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I freakin' LOVE Merrill Hoge. L-O-V-E.

Now that Sean Salisbury is gone I really have nobody left to hate. I just feel bad for Emmit Smith. I'll go with Chris Berman, I'm just sick of him. If Stuart Scott is part of the draft you can throw him in too.

bearsfan_51
03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
By the way, this was linked to the Hoge video. Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9n4DlmibDQ&feature=related

Paranoidmoonduck
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm personally a fan of Chris Berman, but when he was dropping the names of picks before they were announced by the commish he was unbearable.

Quite honestly, I don't have a very hard time blocking out all the talking heads on draft day, and this year with less time between picks it should be even easier. Even Kiper can be a bit unbearable at times, but he's typically the only one worth listening to.

azbmxican
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Hodge, I have no idea how he even has air time! Thank god they finally got rid of that Patriot loving Salisbury.

blackbelt3d
03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Neither are technically "Draft Personalities", but both appear on ESPN's draft coverage.

Merril Hoge
Chris Berman

Both need to go play in traffic. NOW.

BuddyCHRIST
03-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Merril Hodge is probably the worst personality on ESPN regardless of sport or anything outside of Sean Salisbury. McShay isn't bad, you can tell he's overall intelligent and atleast tries to back up all his points.

I will give Hodge credit for not buying into the VY is god crap that was going around so much when the Titans won some games.

MetSox17
03-31-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm with everyone else here that's hating on Salisbury and Hodge.
ESPECIALLY Salisbury. That guy talked like he was the Mother Hen.
I hated when he talked smack about John Clayton, who by the way knows
more about the league than that idiot does. And Merril Hodge is pretty
damn stupid also. Recently he proved that by saying that Felix Jones
was a Marion Barber clone. Berman is damn annoying as well.

Go_Eagles77
03-31-2008, 05:11 PM
I watch NFL Network during the draft. Not only the people but subtle differences like putting pictures next to the name when they're announced make it better for me.

bruschis4all
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Merril Hodge is probably the worst personality on ESPN regardless of sport or anything outside of Sean Salisbury. McShay isn't bad, you can tell he's overall intelligent and atleast tries to back up all his points.

I will give Hodge credit for not buying into the VY is god crap that was going around so much when the Titans won some games.

He's quite possibly the dumbest man in America. Makes Forrest Gump look like a member of Mensa.

Paul
03-31-2008, 05:22 PM
It's a tie, both Berman and Merril are unbearable. I mean Merril was pretty persistent in trying to make the nickname "The Cashier" catch on for AD. It was painfully annoying. And Berman, well he is so out of touch and lame, that someone just needs to take him out of his misery.

If I could choose the crew for the ESPN draft day coverage give me

Trey Wingo - Darren Woodson - Tom Jackson - Michael Smith - Mel Kiper

Throw in some Todd Mcshay just because you have to, along with Chris Morteson and John Clayton since they are pretty much the rumor/news guys, and that's a group I wouldn't mind watching for two days.

BaLLiN
03-31-2008, 05:32 PM
None of them really appeal to me, they all pretty much don't seem to know what they are talking about more than half the time, personally I like Michael Clayton (balding guy with glasses who has a higher voice), he isnt great but knows more and makes more sense than any other of those guys.

BaLLiN
03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Edit: Delete

Yung Flippa
03-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Merill Hodge knows nothing about the draft. Todd McShay is horrible, but he's better then Merill.

blackbelt3d
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
It's a tie, both Berman and Merril are unbearable. I mean Merril was pretty persistent in trying to make the nickname "The Cashier" catch on for AD. It was painfully annoying. And Berman, well he is so out of touch and lame, that someone just needs to take him out of his misery.

If I could choose the crew for the ESPN draft day coverage give me

Trey Wingo - Darren Woodson - Tom Jackson - Michael Smith - Mel Kiper

Throw in some Todd Mcshay just because you have to, along with Chris Morteson and John Clayton since they are pretty much the rumor/news guys, and that's a group I wouldn't mind watching for two days.
Not a bad group... I don't think I'd object if Chris Fowler was involved in place of Berman or something along those lines.

proshoota25
03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
yea i wouldnt mind chris fowler, and kirk herbstreet, why not have him in there? he watched most of the guys getting drafted....... he probably would have some good insight.

skinzzfan25
03-31-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcVTa07lxA&feature=related

Hahahaha Hodge is terrible, but this is funny.

VoteLynnSwan
03-31-2008, 07:35 PM
By the way, this was linked to the Hoge video. Hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9n4DlmibDQ&feature=related

haha check this video out... pay specific attention to Marino's face at the very end of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8q3363qTk&feature=related

Buttered toast sonic
03-31-2008, 09:34 PM
yea i wouldnt mind chris fowler, and kirk herbstreet, why not have him in there? he watched most of the guys getting drafted....... he probably would have some good insight.

agreed on Herbstreit, after all, who doesn't love them some herby?

Giantsfan1080
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Hoge was right about Mike Williams. He said he was way overrated by everybody and shouldn't even go on the first day. Everyone thought he was nuts saying that but he turned out to be right.

RaiderNation
03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
both are pretty dumb

aheineken
04-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Hoge and McShay are complete idiots, IMO. The only ESPN draft analyst worth anything is Mel Kiper.

Halsey
04-01-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't see why so many fans have such issues with guys like Todd Mcshay, Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, etc. I think it stems from jealousy at the fact that they get paid to talk about what we talk about for fun.

asmitty45
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I hate Hodge, he just doesnt know what he's talking about and he hates everyone else.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Hoge was right about Mike Williams. He said he was way overrated by everybody and shouldn't even go on the first day. Everyone thought he was nuts saying that but he turned out to be right.
Blind Squirrel. Nut.

Broken Clock. Right twice a day.

Not only that, I have to find the post (or location), but I believe Mr. Wright himself said "Here is a good rule of thumb: If Hodgy says it, assume the opposite [is] true."

youcandoit1687
04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
mel kiper's mock draft today just showed Branden Albert to the Chiefs at #5...either he knows something that nobody else does or he is really trying to get some attention.

marks01234
04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't see why so many fans have such issues with guys like Todd Mcshay, Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, etc. I think it stems from jealousy at the fact that they get paid to talk about what we talk about for fun.

Partly right.

The fact that Mcshay has a job with ESPN makes me wonder. What exactly was on this kids resume that screams "new NFL draft guru".

ESPN is more concerned with clean-cut faces, slick hair cuts and nice suits than actual sports coverage. Look no further than Stewart Scott.

Thunder&Lightning
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
im sorry but cant stand Hodge he rivals mike mayock for me...

cdub11
04-02-2008, 01:49 PM
for me its a close race between hoge and berman but im going to give the nod to hoge as the worst

ChezPower4
04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Hodge is a complete bafoon and does not know anything worthwhile about the draft. I like Todd McShay but at times he says things that are like WTF!? They both don't have a damn thing on Mel Kiper

tolnaballa
04-02-2008, 07:30 PM
And Merril Hodge is pretty
damn stupid also. Recently he proved that by saying that Felix Jones
was a Marion Barber clone. Berman is damn annoying as well.

Merril Hodge is by far the worst ESPN analyst out of them all. When they had the Cowboys draft preview on Sportscenter the other day, he totally made himself look like hes never covered the draft. Kiper and Mortenson were saying the Cowboys should draft Felix Jones to compliment Marion Barber. Hodge just went off about how Felix Jones and MB3 are the same type runningback. I thought Kiper was going to go nuts, but they cut the program off when Hodge was still talking.

katnip
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Only one I don't like is that former QB with blonde hair. Forgot his name. And John Clayton.

Go_Eagles77
04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Phil Simms? If that's who you're talking about he's on CBS.

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Phil Simms? If that's who you're talking about he's on CBS.

Im sure he refers to Sean Salisbury.
And EVERYONE hates Sean Salisbury.
Okay, maybe i'm the only one that
truly despises him, but he got shown the door, just like he deserved.

Go_Eagles77
04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think Sean Salisbury deserves to be called a former quarterback. lol.

thetechnocrat
04-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Gotta be McShay, he just reiterates what he reads the other draft gurus are projecting and saying.

Hoge may be an idiot but at least his thoughts are his own.

Dump both and substitute Eric Allen or Denny Green for Hoge. Both know as much or a little more and they're likeable.

TheBuffaloBills
04-06-2008, 10:43 AM
I try to watch ESPN's video of top WR prospects, but I am too distracted by Jeremy Green's hand motions. Look at this, its ridiculous.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3316172&categoryId=3305091

MetSox17
04-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I try to watch ESPN's video of top WR prospects, but I am too distracted by Jeremy Green's hand motions. Look at this, its ridiculous.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3316172&categoryId=3305091

lol he looks like a complete moron with all that hand movement he's doing.

funny how mcshay sounds pretty confident when he says that malcolm kelly
is the best WR, but because of injury concerns(with sweed), limas sweed could be number one, while kelly is the one with the chronic knee and leg problems??? =/

steelernation77
04-06-2008, 12:10 PM
ESPN as a whole just bugs me because they stop talking about the draft picks after the second round. Instead, they just talk about the top 1-5 guys over and over again while new picks are coming in. When Reggie Bush and Vince Young were drafted, I think it was the worst. I swear they were still talking about the two of them in the 5th round.

Rjspartan
04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Same here...

lordquas
04-06-2008, 05:26 PM
i know hes not a draft guy but..
stuart scott is the man