PDA

View Full Version : If Jake Long and Dorsey go 1, 2 and the Falcons don't think Ryan is worth #3..

Halsey
04-01-2008, 09:02 AM
..I see no problem with them taking Chris Long or Vernon Gholston. The Giants showed that a team can overstock with DE's and find a way to get them all on the field. Besides, John Abraham is never a guarenteee to stay healthy and who knows if Jamaal Anderson will develop into the player the Falcons hoped he will become when they drafted him #8 last year. Thoughts?

Crickett
04-01-2008, 09:02 AM
What about Sedrick Ellis?

Halsey
04-01-2008, 09:07 AM
What about Sedrick Ellis?

He doesn't seem to be viewed as a top 5 prospect by anyone, so he would seem a reach at 3, but he is a top 10 prospect who fits a need so I wouldn't have a problem with him.

toonsterwu
04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I imagine that they'd take Ryan if Long/Dorsey went one and two. That said, if they didn't think Ryan was worth the 3rd, and if they couldn't deal down, yeah, I could see defensive end. Abraham isn't exactly a spring chicken.
DE would be the best value, but if they didn't want to go DE, I could see them make a reach for OT (Jeff Otah) or DT (Sedrick Ellis).

Scott Wright
04-01-2008, 09:13 AM
If Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are gone at #3 (which is very possible) they have to take Ryan.

Halsey
04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
If Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are gone at #3 (which is very possible) they have to take Ryan.
Well, that may be so, but according to you he's the 7th best prospect and the Falcons have 10 other picks, including 34. They could just wait to see who is on the board then or even trade up for someone like Brohm or Flacco. They certainly have the ammo to trade up. I'm not a big fan of trading up and the Falcons haven't done well at it in recent years(Vick, Mike Jenkins, Jimmy Williams), but there seems to be so many mixed opinions on Ryan. Some say he's a franchise QB and some says he's not. I guess it all depends on what they think of Ryan.

thebow305
04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I'd say either Sedrick Ellis or even Ryan Clady. They should take Ryan though.

neko4
04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
having alot of Dline depth is never a bad thing

Geo
04-01-2008, 10:08 AM
It will be interesting if the Rams take Dorsey with Chris Long on the board. I don't think they would do that because of their DE situation.

Although if you really look at the scenario: would you rather have Glenn Dorsey at 3 tech and Adam Carriker at RDE, or Adam Carriker at 3 tech and Chris Long at RDE? I'd want the former personally, it fills the most needs to the best ability. I'd rather have Carriker at RDE, maybe.

Granted, you could have a great pairing of Chris Long at RDE and Adam Carriker at LDE, but then that opens up a hole at 3 tech after veteran La'Roi Glover. They'd have to draft a guy there, or who knows, Claude Wroten finally gets it and fulfills some of his potential. He's certainly spoken like it this offseason, hopefully it really happens.

ChezPower4
04-01-2008, 10:41 AM

I would not say that they have to, Ryan to me just doesn't seem like he is a fanchise QB. They could go with Ellis

rockio42
04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I would say they go with Chris Long, that might be the definition of taking BPA

TyronePoole38
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
If Jake Long and Dorsey go 1 & 2 Al Davis is calling the Falcons to trade up to number 3 to lock in Chris Long.

Young Legend
04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Taking another DE is not a good thing..after you spent a top 10 pick on one last year..And you dont have NO QB!

SimonRath
04-01-2008, 12:20 PM
If Jake Long and Glenn Dorsey are gone then I personally think that my Falcons would take Chris Long or try VERY hard to trade down to pick Ellis or Clady or Chris Williams

Bengals78
04-01-2008, 12:27 PM
If Jake Long and Dorsey go 1 & 2 Al Davis is calling the Falcons to trade up to number 3 to lock in Chris Long.

This wouldnt suprise me at all.

Halsey
04-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Taking another DE is not a good thing..after you spent a top 10 pick on one last year..And you dont have NO QB!
LIke I said, the Falcons have 11 picks total. They don't necessarily have to take a QB or any position at #3. They have plenty of picks and the luxury of going BPA at 3 if they want. Besides, Gholston and Long are versatile and can be moved around.

KCJ58
04-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I'll stop you right there cuz if Chris Long is there at #2 the Rams will take him no questions

Race for the Heisman
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
This wouldnt suprise me at all.

Maybe, but the Raiders have no ammo this year. They could trade some of next year's but their lack of picks this year is something to keep in mind.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 02:50 PM

thats what i was gonna say! but yeah, it would be ryan then...

JDB7821
04-01-2008, 02:57 PM
That's really hard to say. I'd lean towards Chris Long, because I think he'd be able to come in and contribute right away, something Anderson did and did not do. He's versatile and could be moved around, but I could see an argument for Ryan or a trade down. If we trade down, I'd say we target Clady or Ellis.

nobodyinparticular
04-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Oh my goodness gracious great balls of fire, if this happens and the Falcons end up taking Ryan I will pee my pants. I think I might cry if Chris Long is still on the board for the Raiders.

sporkdevil
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I think Vernon would be a good pickup because of his ability to play LB. So he could be a situational DE and put in at LB the rest of the time. He isn't exactly how I would like the draft to go, but he would really help the Falcons defense, because Boley needs some help.

etk
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
The Rams will not pass up Chris Long. That's a 110% guarantee. If that did happen I see the Falcons taking Sedrick Ellis though.

scottyboy
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
yes, the Giants did set the trend really with not having enough pass rushers, but ours are
Strahan: a 2nd round pick, from over 12 years ago
Osi: 2nd rounder few years ago
Tuck: 3rd rounder supposed to b the heir apprant of Strahan
Kiwi: 1st rounder(at pick 32) used as LB, still a head scratcher, but i like the pick now!

we didn't use them on top 3 picks. I see them taking Ellis or Ryan though.

D-Rod
04-02-2008, 03:19 AM
We can't really justify taking either CL or Gholston when we have so many other crucial needs.

If JL and Dorsey are gone, then I think Ryan has to be the pick. If we really don't want to take Ryan, then I think that Dimitroff would be willing to take minimal value for a trade down.

Perhaps the Jets might be willing to trade up, whether for McFadden, CL, or Gholston, if the price is only a 3rd or so. They certainly haven't been shy about spending cash. Or maybe Baltimore will be nervous about KC, and will move up for Ryan, if the pick price isn't too extreme.

At that point, if the next guy on Dimitroff's board - someone like Ellis, who would be a good pick but not at #3 - is likely to be available later, he'd almost be sensible to move down for free; he'd just be saving major guaranteed money...

Addict
04-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Well, that may be so, but according to you he's the 7th best prospect and the Falcons have 10 other picks, including 34. They could just wait to see who is on the board then or even trade up for someone like Brohm or Flacco. They certainly have the ammo to trade up. I'm not a big fan of trading up and the Falcons haven't done well at it in recent years(Vick, Mike Jenkins, Jimmy Williams), but there seems to be so many mixed opinions on Ryan. Some say he's a franchise QB and some says he's not. I guess it all depends on what they think of Ryan.

I'm gonna play scott here and use his mantra:

If you don't have a franchise QB, you don't pass on a potential one.