PDA

View Full Version : Your first WTF pick of the draft

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 12:29 PM
It's bound to happen, since it seems to every year...

2007 - Ted Ginn Jr.
2006 - Donte Whitner
2005 - Mike Williams

Just some examples of picks that made me go WTF when I heard them. Who do you think will be that pick this year, and where do they get selected?

urinemonkey
04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't know about a WTF type reaction but I think Branden Albert to the Ravens at #8 is possible. It would be a surprise but one that makes sense.

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
It is almost always a DT too early as well. But personally, I see the Pats grabbing Aqib Talib at the #7 pick.

art vandelay
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm going to go with Albert going much higher than members on this board suspect. I think teams have him higher on their boards than we realize.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know about a WTF type reaction but I think Branden Albert to the Ravens at #8 is possible. It would be a surprise but one that makes sense.
I'm with you... If there's a team to make a WTF pick, it'd be the Ravens... Although my gut says it'd be something more like Brian Brohm.

T-RICH49
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
KC taking Otah with the 5th overall pick

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
for me, its the bears pick. i just dont trust them....sure id love chris williams or someone like that if they pickhim, but somehow, i just forsee myself having a real "WT BLOODY F" moment with their pick....ugh

Staubach12
04-01-2008, 01:12 PM
It is almost always a DT too early as well. But personally, I see the Pats grabbing Aqib Talib at the #7 pick.

I could see that...

proshoota25
04-01-2008, 01:13 PM
i think it will be at the number seven spot, but for a variety of different teams. i think someone will trade up at that pick and select someone we havent seen coming, like something stupid as in chicago/carolina wanting to get matt ryan (sorry beerbaron) even the patriots could reach, or make a surprise in kenny phillips, even though the value isnt there, or some other position that we didnt see happening

ChezPower4
04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I think this year will be like last year. Someone is gonna fall in love with DeSean Jackson's speed and it's gonna be in the top 15 picks. Watch out Miami fans...haha

Addict
04-01-2008, 01:34 PM
well... knowing Millen he'll probably select something idiotic.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 01:36 PM
The easy one would be to say he picks a WR...

But I'm guessing he'd probably do something like reach for Merling.

the decider13
04-01-2008, 01:48 PM
I think albert could even go to the broncos. I wouldnt be that upset, he is a great player. But I always see albert to pitt and I think he will go much higher.

Desean is too obvious, I think he could fall a little

KCJ58
04-01-2008, 01:49 PM
whoever to Falcons take besides Matt Ryan

Addict
04-01-2008, 01:51 PM
is it possible Otah, if he falls, is taken by the steelers and moved to G?

JagHombre22
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
I could see the Patriots going with Rivers at 7..

d34ng3l021
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
whoever to Falcons take besides Matt Ryan

Glenn Dorsey and Jake Long are not WTF picks for the Falcons.

But I am thinking Gholston will go to the Rams and McFadden to the Riaders and the Jets will do something WTF.

senormysterioso
04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
the Rams taking McFadden

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
The problem with these WTF picks is that we never see them coming. The only pick I have seen in this thread so far that will really make me WTF is Albert to the Ravens. JUst like every year though there will be that one pick that absolutly nobody sees coming at all, even those of us looking for WTF picks. Even though I will probably go wrong I can see the Lions take someone like Balmer, Pat Sims, or another 2nd round graded DT with their first rounder. I also see Chilo Rachel going in the mid first and there will be a late first round pick that nobody sees coming.

04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I could see Mendenhall to the Bengals at #9 and Devin Thomas to the Bills at #11.

ManOverboard
04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I called Ginn to the Phins over Quinn before it happened when I was watching the draft, I should've bet on bodog.

Addict
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I could see Mendenhall to the Bengals at #9 and Devin Thomas to the Bills at #11.

I can actually see the Bengals move up to secure Ellis or Dorsey.

toonsterwu
04-01-2008, 02:27 PM

That would definitely be a WTF moment to me. There should at least one of the top 4 OT's available. As good as Albert is, do they pick a guy at 8 that has to learn a position? Not sure. and they don't need albert inside, with Chester/Brown/Grubbs. Not impossible, but definitely WTF, IMO.

toonsterwu
04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
The easy one would be to say he picks a WR...

But I'm guessing he'd probably do something like reach for Merling.

If healthy, Merling is a solid top 20 pick, and possible top 10 pick. The problem is how the doctors view the sports hernia, something no one really knows outside of, well, the doctors.

toonsterwu
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
If there's no trades, one idea I'd toss out would be

7. New England Patriots pick: DL Phillip Merling, Clemson

Now, Merling would have to clear physically, and that's an unknown. But the general feeling has been that, based on his play, Merling was a solid top 15 pick. He's a possible 3-4 DE, and Seymour's slowing down, along with Seymour and Green's contract up in 2 years.

That said, it's just one possibility.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2008, 02:32 PM

I could see Mendenhall, but Thomas would be very surprising.

DeathbyStat
04-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm going to go with Albert going much higher than members on this board suspect. I think teams have him higher on their boards than we realize.

I totally agree, I'm that sure how high he could go maybe to the Chiefs if Jake Long is gone

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
i think it will be at the number seven spot, but for a variety of different teams. i think someone will trade up at that pick and select someone we havent seen coming, like something stupid as in chicago/carolina wanting to get matt ryan (sorry beerbaron) even the patriots could reach, or make a surprise in kenny phillips, even though the value isnt there, or some other position that we didnt see happening

you outta be sorry, lol. no, i could see that happening....sadly....

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
ya know, just another thought i had while looking this over....would it really be a WTF! pick if we can predict it?

usually the WTF picks are complete surprises that no non-whackjob would ever predict

ThePudge
04-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Jerod Mayo at 15 to Detroit or even 12 to Denver wouldn't be a huge shock to me, but it'd surprise some at this point. Mayo is a big, athletic ILB/OLB that has been supposedly flying up draft boards. He's an excellent leader in the middle, which is where he'd play in Denver/Detroit. Could surprise and be the 1st LB taken as he is a better fit in Denver and Detroit.

Look at Cincinnati if Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, and Derrick Harvey are gone. They could go OT, they could go Rashard Mendenhall, or they could target Auburn OLB Quentin Groves. Groves fits the new mold of a Bengals LB, would be given a year or two to develop, but would likely be considered a reach.

Jake Long at #1 to Miami would draw a WTF from me. I just don't see it happening.

AaronGrayisKing
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
I think Desean Jackson goes in the top 15 and on most mocks I see, he goes late 1st.

I think he shouldn't go until the 2nd.

I could also see Flacco getting into the mid 1st...

thebow305
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
The problem with these WTF picks is that we never see them coming. The only pick I have seen in this thread so far that will really make me WTF is Albert to the Ravens. JUst like every year though there will be that one pick that absolutly nobody sees coming at all, even those of us looking for WTF picks. Even though I will probably go wrong I can see the Lions take someone like Balmer, Pat Sims, or another 2nd round graded DT with their first rounder. I also see Chilo Rachel going in the mid first and there will be a late first round pick that nobody sees coming.

I didnt' say WTF to the Ginn pick.... I predicted it. :)

thebow305
04-01-2008, 03:10 PM
BTW... I will say Matt Ryan to the Jets.

Jughead10
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
When do the Redskins pick?.......Nevermind, it is after the Jets so it won't be the first WTF.

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 03:14 PM
When do the Redskins pick?.......Nevermind, it is after the Jets so it won't be the first WTF.

Revis and Ferguson have been two good back-to-back picks.

I say the Redskins take Mario Manningham... Actually I could really see this happening, hahahahah!!!!

ThePudge
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Right now in my Mock Draft I have Mario Manningham at 31 to New York. A Surprising pick to many.

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Right now in my Mock Draft I have Mario Manningham at 31 to New York. A Surprising pick to many.

I will slice your balls off and give them to you in a pickle jar if you keep that pick.

Your choice. =D

Also, congrats on soon to be number 1,000. It's been great having you on the forums. =D

keylime_5
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
KC taking Otah with the 5th overall pick

That's the feeling I'm getting it's gonna be.

keylime_5
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I could see Mendenhall, but Thomas would be very surprising.

Neh, Thomas at #11 overall wouldn't be that surprising. It's no more of a reach than Malcolm Kelly or Limas Sweed at #11 overall.

AaronGrayisKing
04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Desean Jackson goes 4th overall to Raiders!

Woody56
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
whoever drafts heath benedict

MetSox17
04-01-2008, 04:10 PM
whoever drafts heath benedict

low blow! lol.
funny, but low.
haha

vidae
04-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I would actually be happier if we took Branden Albert 5th overall instead of Otah, but that's just me.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
ya know, just another thought i had while looking this over....would it really be a WTF! pick if we can predict it?

usually the WTF picks are complete surprises that no non-whackjob would ever predict
Don't bring logic into this!

Besides, it's fun to see what twists people think have the potential to take place on draft day.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Don't bring logic into this!

Besides, it's fun to see what twists people think have the potential to take place on draft day.

i try to bring logic into everything, lol. im just saying, if i can predict it, im probably not going to jump and scream WTF! if it happens...

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 04:20 PM
i try to bring logic into everything, lol. im just saying, if i can predict it, im probably not going to jump and scream WTF! if it happens...
Well... As I recall, Mayock predicted that Donte Whitner was going to go ridiculously early (I think he was projected somewhere in the late teens/early twenties), and I saw that before the draft.

Still let out a WTF-bomb when I saw Buffalo pick him at 8.

Larry121283
04-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Whatever happens at pick #7.

keylime_5
04-01-2008, 04:23 PM
When Detroit picks another WR at 15.

holt_bruce81
04-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Kiper has Tyrell Johnson going to the Giants in the 1st round

that would make me say WTF

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Kiper has Tyrell Johnson going to the Giants in the 1st round

that would make me say WTF

ohhhh that kiper....i hate not being able to bash him here.....

he also gave the chiefs brandon albert. theres no way i can say what i would like to say about that without it becoming a bash so.......ill just stop there....

heres one i finally came up with:

the bears taking henne with brohm and flacco still on the board. i would have to be buying a new TV shorty after that....not to mention the string of word that would surround WTF!!

MetSox17
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
The Cowboys taking Felix Jones with Mike Jenkins, Limas Sweed and Devin Thomas still on the board.

Joeyjr09
04-01-2008, 04:55 PM
The ultimate WTF pick would be Indy picking up Erik Ainge or JDB in round 2.

But that will never happen. lol.

My choice for WTF pick would be Kentwan Balmer to the Ravens at number 8.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 04:56 PM
The ultimate WTF pick would be Indy picking up Erik Ainge or JDB in round 2.

But that will never happen. lol.

My choice for WTF pick would be Kentwan Balmer to the Ravens at number 8.

im sorry but i would just laugh at something that awful, lol.

reminds me of when a friend of mine said the vikes would take troy williamson with mike william still on the board. none of there except for him thought that would happen....

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
im sorry but i would just laugh at something that awful, lol.

reminds me of when a friend of mine said the vikes would take troy williamson with mike william still on the board. none of there except for him thought that would happen....
Ughhhhhh

Don't remind me!

That was the one guy who, under no circumstances, did I want the Vikings to take. Anything I did on draft day after his name was announced, well... I couldn't be held responsible for it.

keylime_5
04-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Kiper doesn't seriously think Albert will go #5 or that Johnson will go #31, he just does stuff like that to get his point across that Branden Albert is gonna go a lot higher than previously projected and that Tyrell Johnson is a name to watch in round 2. Surely you all have picked up on his mock draft trends by now.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I wanted Mike Williams instead of Troy Williamson, so oddly enough I think we made better pick then I thought they should. On the other hand we would have cut Williams right away and he would not have single handidly lost us games.

hugegmenfan
04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Ha the Giants are known to pick guys who they are not projected to pick. In all honesty it would not overally shock me to see a WR taken. I might say "WTF!" but it COULD happen

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I wanted Mike Williams instead of Troy Williamson, so oddly enough I think we made better pick then I thought they should. On the other hand we would have cut Williams right away and he would not have single handidly lost us games.
I didn't want either of them.

I would've taken Shawne Merriman. I got blasted for thinking it, but, well... I'm looking good for that take right now, that's for sure.

TheBuffaloBills
04-01-2008, 05:14 PM
This is basically the biggest reach thread

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2008, 05:15 PM
and..................

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
This is basically the biggest reach thread

A WTF pick doesn't necessarily have to be a reach, I don't think. Mike Williams wasn't considered a reach at the time, as I recall, but Millen doing his WR bit in the first round yet again, well, that was cause for WTF-ing.

and..................

Sorry. I get thrown off track when I remember the drafting of Troy Williamson. It scarred me!

TheBuffaloBills
04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
However, my WTH pick would be Kenny Philips at 11 to the Bills.

I hope they dont because we have Ko coming back from an injury, but if the guys we want are gone, then who knows.

BufFan71
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM

THomas to the Bills at 11 will make a lot of bills fans happy

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
A WTF pick doesn't necessarily have to be a reach, I don't think. Mike Williams wasn't considered a reach at the time, as I recall, but Millen doing his WR bit in the first round yet again, well, that was cause for WTF-ing.

Sorry. I get thrown off track when I remember the drafting of Troy Williamson. It scarred me!

I was refering to the Bills guy calling this thread the reach thread. I didn't see the point in him just saying that, but I like your response.

I also think when the Giants took Kiwanuka it was a WTF pick. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

MooshooGawd
04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
My favorite WTF picks are the ones that raises everyones eyebrows because it means somebody is going to be out of a job...

For example...

If my Bengals select a OT in Round 1, Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, and Stacey Andrews are going to go WTF!?!?!

If the Bengals select a WR in the first 2 rounds, it'll likely be TJ or Chad's replacement.

Always love those awkward moments. Because it looks like a team is set at that position.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I think any last pick of the first rounds has the potential to be a WTF pick... Not on as large of a scale as some of the ones mentioned before, but it seems to usually be somebody that comes completely out of nowhere to sneak into the first round.

Decide for yourself on the WTF-ness of these picks:

2007, Colts - Anthony Gonzalez
2006, Giants - Matthias Kiwanuka (Mentioned above)
2005, Patriots - Logan Mankins
2004, Patriots - Ben Watson
2003, Raiders - Tyler Brayton
2002, Redskins - Patrick Ramsey

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I think when Mankins was picked everyone had the feeling that he was going to be good because it was the Pats who reached.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Kiper doesn't seriously think Albert will go #5 or that Johnson will go #31, he just does stuff like that to get his point across that Branden Albert is gonna go a lot higher than previously projected and that Tyrell Johnson is a name to watch in round 2. Surely you all have picked up on his mock draft trends by now.

yes! i wanted to say stuff like that so badly....im am not a kiper fan and never have been. sure he did plenty to get the draft the national attention it has now but the guys just a cook.

he'll give teh same team 8 different guys in 8 different mocks and if they take any one of them, he claims he was right.

it just jerks me the wrong way so badly....im glad nfl network has its own coverage now. ive watched it there last year and will watch it there again.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
So you are saying Kiper = Darnik?

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
i dont know what id call kiper....i just know he has what id kill to have and does cooky weird things with it.

the draft is where it is because of him. i always let people have that in an argument and i agree whole heartily.

but its time for him to go. look at him now, hes not even projecting who he thinks the teams will pick. instead he puts a guy like albert at 5 overall just this once to say on draft day when he goes higher that people expect, maybe in teh 10-15 range or something, that he predicted it.

i think its wrong. hes out for his own personal glory and so help them god any team (the jets) that does anything that kiper doesnt like or didnt predict.

i would do kipers job for half the money. quarter of the money. hell, id do it for "get by" money. give me some "get by" money and a year to do nothing but scout players and make mock drafts and by god i think i would have found my dream job. and i wouldnt be all anal about it and when i was wrong, id man up about it instead of just making so many picks and crap like that they just can't possibly all be wrong....

anyway, like i said, ill be watching on the NFLN while at home for the draft

GaMeTiMe
04-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Matt Ryan to the Raiders at #4.

Dr. Gonzo
04-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Matt Ryan to the Raiders at #4.

Do you really think that will happen? After drafting Russel 1 overall last year.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Do you really think that will happen? After drafting Russel 1 overall last year.

that would certainly qualify as a WTF! in my book though, lol

BaLLiN
04-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Glenn Dorsey and Jake Long are not WTF picks for the Falcons.

But I am thinking Gholston will go to the Rams and McFadden to the Riaders and the Jets will do something WTF.

wouldnt be the first time...

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 07:53 PM
lol, if the jets do something stupid at 6 i might just flip over to espn to watch kiper flip out on them

wouldn't be the first time thats happened either, lol

Flyboy
04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
DeSean Jackson to the Saints at 10. I wouldn't mind the pick, but it would nearly cause a riot in most NO fans' hearts.

Smokey Joe
04-01-2008, 08:21 PM
agreed on both.

asmitty45
04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Branden Albert anywhere above 16, Devin Thomas anywhere above the Bucs, Mendehall to the bengals.

TheBuffaloBills
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Devin Thomas going to the Bills is not a WTF pick. He is a big reciever that is rising up the draft boards. Kelly is on the decline with his injuries. Thomas is a possibility. In fact, I would say he is a very logical pick on draft day.

T-RICH49
04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
ohhhh that kiper....i hate not being able to bash him here.....

he also gave the chiefs brandon albert. theres no way i can say what i would like to say about that without it becoming a bash so.......ill just stop there....

heres one i finally came up with:

the bears taking henne with brohm and flacco still on the board. i would have to be buying a new TV shorty after that....not to mention the string of word that would surround WTF!!

I'd take Albert WAY before Otah

TACKLE
04-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Derrick Harvey at #6 to the Jets

Brandon Albert at #7 to the Patriots

Phillip Merling at #8 to the Ravens

Curtis Lofton at #23 to the Steelers

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Wowie-wow-wow...

Harvey isn't that far-fetched...

Albert at #7
Merling at #8

Certainly WTF picks if those happens!

proshoota25
04-01-2008, 11:19 PM
if the jets make an amazingly stupid pick at 6 i think i will laugh my butt off for a few hours haha its funny to see the jets fans reactions

but merling to the patriots would def be a WTF pick. i would be so mad if this happened, i really hope it doesnt, for the sake of my tv!

Joeyjr09
04-01-2008, 11:34 PM
On a side note. I think an even bigger WTF pick the Ted Ginn last year was Justin Harrell to GB. That one left be utterly speechless. I didn't think Harrell would go any higher then 25 and much less to GB who seemed deep at DT.

I think that was a bigger WTF big. At least we knew the Dolphins had a genuine interest in Ginn from the get go. The WTF there was not Ginn himself but the passing on Brady Quinn.

SKim172
04-02-2008, 12:03 AM
It won't be a monumental WTF, but I think a lot of fans will be surprised to see Mendenhall drafted in the top 12. I think it might happen and I know I'm not the only one, but the majority don't have him pegged that high.

Flyboy
04-02-2008, 03:04 AM
It won't be a monumental WTF, but I think a lot of fans will be surprised to see Mendenhall drafted in the top 12. I think it might happen and I know I'm not the only one, but the majority don't have him pegged that high.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints draft Mendenhall at 10 at all. Once we figure out what's happening with Deuce (we should know more on April 15th) then things could certainly get interesting.

Packman1957
04-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah I admit the Justin Harrell pick for the Packers was a big WTF for the Packers. The players I was looking at with that pick was Reggie Nelson, Greg Olsen, and Dwayne Bowe. The jury is still out on Harrell though, who supposedly was the best player on our GM TT's board.

This years surpriser, and I have heard rumours of it too, please bears fan don't kill me when I say Chad Henne at #14. Not saying it will happen but in terms of a surpriser that would turn quite a few heads, as I have heard mixed reviews on this guy, some consider him a mid first rounder. Also I think someone said before Jerod Mayo to the Lions at #15 would make some sense, because he fits the cover 2 scheme really well. And some teams will take players higher because they fit their system, than again Kiper has Mayo at #13 on his big board so....

Also some before that might be Jeff Otah to the Chiefs, Derrick Harvey to the Jets (If Gholston is gone), and maybe who knows Matt Ryan to the Dolphins that certainly could surprise some people.

kiranadwaney
04-02-2008, 08:55 AM
mendenhall to the jets at 6. gholston and mcfadden could be gone by the time they pick.

Packman1957
04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
mendenhall to the jets at 6. gholston and mcfadden could be gone by the time they pick.

That would surprise me, i'll give you that. But is it going to happen? No way. The Jets don't even really have any need at RB neccessarily. Only reason why people have McFadden going there is because he is BPA and the Jets RB aren't anything you'd write home about. Mendenhall is not even close to McFadden talent-wise. Don't get me wrong I think Mendenhall will be good at the next level but not as good as McFadden. Why would the Jets reach for a RB that doesn't even fill a need. Doesn't make any sense to me.

fenikz
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Dan Connor #7 to the Pats, it would be a huge WTF

SeanTaylorRIP
04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Detroit Lions select Desean Jackson.

ChezPower4
04-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Amen Brother...