PDA

View Full Version : Owners vote to allow Defensive Communications

Addict
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80783ca4&template=with-video&confirm=true

Essentially the same thing as with QB's, one defensive player is allowed a radio helmet, if that player leaves the game there's a designated #2.

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 02:27 PM
A bad DC could really **** up a team by calling a defensive audible right before a snap.

JagHombre22
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
yea, this is pretty stupid...the defensive captain or MLB or whatever should be the one's calling the audibles...

Paranoidmoonduck
04-01-2008, 02:52 PM
A bad DC could really **** up a team by calling a defensive audible right before a snap.

I'm pretty sure it'll work just like the QB one does, which means it gets turned off at a certain point in the play clock (15 seconds, if I recall correctly).

I think this is a good move, but the logistics will definitely be more complicated than with the offense.

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it'll work just like the QB one does, which means it gets turned off at a certain point in the play clock (15 seconds, if I recall correctly).

I think this is a good move, but the logistics will definitely be more complicated than with the offense.

Well I didn't know that it gets turned off. But yeah, I really don't see this changing that much.

bigbluedefense
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
its about time.

this is great for teams with smart MIKEs. so naturally im loving this idea.

GB12
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
I like it, don't know why it wasn't used before. If the offense can use it to send in plays the defense should be able to aswell.

Also the Patriots can't steal signals now.

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
it comes in good to call plays in the beggeining now players don't have to know sign language from the coaches.

I think the audibles will still be called by players unless a coach see something that a player doesn't right away.

Thunder&Lightning
04-01-2008, 03:37 PM
ya i think this should be allowed. Defenses can have just as many plays as the offense sometimes. Should have been allowed a long time ago IMO.

vidae
04-01-2008, 04:03 PM
It's about time this went in!

The Unseen
04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I think it's a good idea. Another pro-defense ruling...quite strange.

Go_Eagles77
04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Nice... is it gonna be the MLB/ILB for every team or does it vary?

bsaza2358
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I think a team can designate one defensive player and 1 or 2 alternates. The main defensive player has the headset, but if he is injured, the alternates' would be turned on.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
I think it's a good idea. Another pro-defense ruling...quite strange.

yeah, so much for that whole "we want to increase scoring" hike theyve been on for a few years running now.

i like this rule, but who do you give teh radio to if your the DC? if your the bears who have a great everydown LB like urlacher, then it makes perfect sense to give it to him.

but what if your a team that doesnt? you have a bunch of garbagy nobodies there and none of them are guranteed to stay in on every play....do you maybe go safety? the d-lineman and some CBs are always swapping...

itll be interesting to see how teams do this anyway

SaintsFanForLife
04-01-2008, 04:44 PM
I like it. Its about time too.

BlindSite
04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
If I was a DC I'd only want to use it to tell them something they might miss like "notice Steve Smith in the slot" or "THERE'S 12 DEFENDERS ON THE FIELD"

Simple **** that can lead to big impacts. Most teams have a solid enough leader somewhere anyway that they don't need this crap.

Jay
04-01-2008, 05:12 PM
You're welcome rest of the NFL.

Jay
04-01-2008, 05:21 PM

Yup, looks like no one else can either. Howard Mudd may be out of a job!

JT Jag
04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
I think this is a combination of Spygate and the Giants' Super Bowl run fostering a general increase in interest regarding defense (see the No Push-Out and Anti-Stiff Arm proposals).

This way, the defensive coordinator could easily call the base defense for every play. It would be the defensive captain's job to call the audibles.

The Legend
04-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Ray Lewis should like this

JT Jag
04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
yeah, so much for that whole "we want to increase scoring" hike theyve been on for a few years running now.

i like this rule, but who do you give teh radio to if your the DC? if your the bears who have a great everydown LB like urlacher, then it makes perfect sense to give it to him.

but what if your a team that doesnt? you have a bunch of garbagy nobodies there and none of them are guranteed to stay in on every play....do you maybe go safety? the d-lineman and some CBs are always swapping...

itll be interesting to see how teams do this anywayThere are generally two play-callers on defense, just like there are two play-callers for offense.

The center calls blocking assignment before each play, and the QB directs the skill position players and informs them what their responsibilities are before each play.

On defense the middle linebacker changes assignments for anyone in the box based on the look the offense is giving, and the free safety calls the plays for the secondary.

So the #1 radio would probably go to the free-safety in that case.

Brent
04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
'Bout time

yodabear
04-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Still won't help the Rams much unless we can put 22 guys on the field.

ChezPower4
04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Good rule evens the playing field a little bit with all of the offensive minded rules that we have in the game to day

ChezPower4
04-02-2008, 01:08 AM

They will invest in a scanner to steal the audio calls. the new rules can't stop Bill

BlindSite
04-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Ray Lewis should like this

Ray Lewis likes the credit to go to Ray Lewis.

Addict
04-02-2008, 03:30 AM
I like it, don't know why it wasn't used before. If the offense can use it to send in plays the defense should be able to aswell.

oh for chrissakes READ! Bill Belichick was heavily in favor of this move.

They cheated, they paid the price, now stop complaining about it. Enough with the hellfire and brimstone already.

Dam8610
04-02-2008, 04:02 AM
Yup, looks like no one else can either. Howard Mudd may be out of a job!

Yeah, because he hasn't produced some of the best offensive lines in this decade. :rolleyes: Haven't you beaten this dead horse enough?

Anyway, what I find interesting about this move is teams are going to be allowed to have 2 defenders with the communication helmets, but those players can't be on the field at the same time. Interesting to me because this is one of the main reasons it passed. Personally, I don't know of a defense that doesn't have at least one every down player, so, while I know there are a lot more substitutions and shifts on defense, I don't get why the second communication helmet is needed. Does anyone here know that their team doesn't have a single every down defender?

bigbluedefense
04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
this really allows defenses to do a lot of things. Im very anxious to see what Spags and AP do with this new feature.

I go back to the SB, and Spags gave AP 2 plays, the playcall, and if Brady adjusted his protection, an audible that would attack those protection adjustments. Doing something like that in every game from now on is going to be a lot easier with the headset, and Im assuming our pass rush will be even better bc of it.

Having a smart MIKE is even more important now than it was before. Im very anxious to see what we do with this. This benefits our defense probably more than anyone elses bc of AP and our blitzing style.

niel89
04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Ray Lewis likes the credit to go to Ray Lewis.

its funny that everyone say ray lewis as the example when ed reed is gonna get the mic for the ravens.

Mr. Stiller
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Probably Cheaper for them to have someone hack into a frequency than to hire a cameraman.

Don't forget they were on 8 or so unautherized Frequencies while playing the jets.

That part gets overlooked a lot.

Mr. Stiller
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I think a team can designate one defensive player and 1 or 2 alternates. The main defensive player has the headset, but if he is injured, the alternates' would be turned on.

Just like offense, if you're QB is not on the field, a second player has a helmet.

Designated by a dot.

The "Alternate" will have to "Check in" with the ref preplay to let him know.

CC.SD
04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Somebody in Peter King's Tuesday Edition asked the question; what happens to two way players? Like if Vrabel got a defensive helmet and they put him in on offense.

King's response, unbelievably he was serious, is that BB and co. would simply turn off the microphone when they have Vrabel play O.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? how about serious solutions besides trusting the Patriots (and other teams) to not cheat?

asmitty45
04-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I like the rule a lot, although i think it forces all D-Coordinator's into the box upstairs now so they can see the offensive adjustments from a birds eye view.

Overall a good move, and itll realy help the young guys.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Somebody in Peter King's Tuesday Edition asked the question; what happens to two way players? Like if Vrabel got a defensive helmet and they put him in on offense.

King's response, unbelievably he was serious, is that BB and co. would simply turn off the microphone when they have Vrabel play O.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? how about serious solutions besides trusting the Patriots (and other teams) to not cheat?

I'm almost certain that a third party controls the helmet functionality, just like with quarterbacks. As it was said, the second helmet on the defense only gets turned on when the primary player leaves, and I assume that the time restrictions on helmet communication will be the same as with the quarterback.

It's all handled upstairs by a third party.

(99% sure of this anyway)

GB12
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm almost certain that a third party controls the helmet functionality, just like with quarterbacks. As it was said, the second helmet on the defense only gets turned on when the primary player leaves, and I assume that the time restrictions on helmet communication will be the same as with the quarterback.

It's all handled upstairs by a third party.

(99% sure of this anyway)
I'd assume it'd be like the QBs had this season. Put the little green dot on the helmets with communication in them and only one is allowed on the field at a time. He could still go in on offense he'd just have to wear a different helmet.

Mr. Stiller
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM

The helmets HAVE to be marked (The Green dot on the QB's helmet, probably a red or other color Dot on a Defenders helmet)

If they aren't the main guy with the mic (QB on offense/Captain of defense)..

1) They have to report to the ref pre-play that they have the mic.
2) They can't wear the Same helmet.

A two way player like Vrabel would have a second helmet.

BaLLiN
04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
this really allows defenses to do a lot of things. Im very anxious to see what Spags and AP do with this new feature.

I go back to the SB, and Spags gave AP 2 plays, the playcall, and if Brady adjusted his protection, an audible that would attack those protection adjustments. Doing something like that in every game from now on is going to be a lot easier with the headset, and Im assuming our pass rush will be even better bc of it.

Having a smart MIKE is even more important now than it was before. Im very anxious to see what we do with this. This benefits our defense probably more than anyone elses bc of AP and our blitzing style.

completely agree