PDA

View Full Version : brennan to undergo hip surgery

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/01/colt/index.html

according to that, he could miss 8-12 weeks. hes also up to 218 pounds and...um...idk if its possible to add 33 pounds in a way helpful to his stock that quickly (aka its fat)

whos with me in doubting that he'll even be drafted at all now?

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I say it drops him to a 5th or a 6th, but I still see him being drafted by a team that runs a WCO.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I say it drops him to a 5th or a 6th, but I still see him being drafted by a team that runs a WCO.

ive long thought maybe the pats give him a shot. their offense might be the closest to the wide open, pass crazy thing he had at hawaii and they could use someone a little better than matt cassel to backup brady...

or the bucs if gruden doesnt get his first wish in josh johnson.

but after his surgery and dramatic weight gain, i could see everyone passing on him and someone jumping on hiim after the draft to take to camp at least

toonsterwu
04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
I think he'll be picked. Probably in the 6th/7th round area, but at that point, he's too intriguing to pass up. Might as well grab the rights to the guy.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
He'll go 5-6. He was a 4-5 rond guy before. He was a project anyway, so this won't affect him too much.

skinzzfan25
04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd take him in the later rounds.

Good WCO project for Zorn.

Thunder&Lightning
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
he was a 4/5 rounder for me but now im dropping him down to 6/7 feel bad for this kid...

KCJ58
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
this guy will get drafted some1 will take him in the 5th or 6th

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM
If you are a highly touted Junior QB, enter the NFL draft:

For this year:

Brian Brohm and Colt Brennan were both pegged as first rounders if they came out last year. Now Brohm looks to be a late first, early second and Brennan is far, far away.

Last Year:

Brady Quinn... Enough Said (even though he probably would've been about the same with both VY and Leinart coming out).

2 Years ago: Leinart could have been the #1 pick, but instead fell to #10. Then again, I would prefer playing for the Cardinals than the 49ers.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 03:35 PM

For this year:

Brian Brohm and Colt Brennan were both pegged as first rounders if they came out last year. Now Brohm looks to be a late first, early second and Brennan is far, far away.

Last Year:

Brady Quinn... Enough Said (even though he probably would've been about the same with both VY and Leinart coming out).

2 Years ago: Leinart could have been the #1 pick, but instead fell to #10. Then again, I would prefer playing for the Cardinals than the 49ers.

i was thinking about how brennan would have been a decent first rounder had he come out after a junior. i even remember scott having him go to the jags mid first in an early mock...

boy, what a year does to some people.

AaronGrayisKing
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Undrafted Free Agent. Mark it down.

neko4
04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
ive long thought maybe the pats give him a shot. their offense might be the closest to the wide open, pass crazy thing he had at hawaii and they could use someone a little better than matt cassel to backup brady...

I disagree, i think NE is a bit more deep passing

neko4
04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd take him in the later rounds.

Good WCO project for Zorn.
He should go to Washington late
COllins is old and Hollenbach I dont even know if he is a good backup. He wasnt even that good in college. Brennan could come in and in 4 years be trade bait or take over if Campbell fails

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I disagree, i think NE is a bit more deep passing

in his best year he threw for over 5500 yards and 58 TDs with nearly a 10 ypp average. i dont think you can do that without throwing deep plenty...i know he has the ability to.

AtariBigby
04-01-2008, 04:58 PM

For this year:

Last Year:

I agree.
These kids are fools for staying in college if they are guaranteed a few million $ by turning pro early.
The purpose of COLLEGE in the USA is to be able to earn a good living. It's not to educate. That's BS. College these days teaches NOTHING. I learned more in 2 years of traveling than I did 4 years of college.

Regardless of that, Leinart was foolish, and so was Brennan.

And that doesn't take into account the injury risk. Ask MICHAEL BUSH about that risk.

BufFan71
04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
in his best year he threw for over 5500 yards and 58 TDs with nearly a 10 ypp average. i dont think you can do that without throwing deep plenty...i know he has the ability to.

if u havent watched Hawaii

they run bubble screens and quck passess
Devon Bess and company where a lot quicker than their oppenents
so it allowed them to get by db's

Brennan actually didnt throw a lot of deep passes

but i do think Brennan to the patriots is a possibility due to the spread NE runs

sweetd20
04-01-2008, 05:26 PM
If Colt would of came out last year he would of gone through the same pre-draft evaluations and dropped down the boards just as he did this season. In the end Brohm will likely still go about where he would of in last year's draft. He will go most likely no later then mid 2nd round depending on how eager a team is to get a QB. He wouldn't of gone higher than Brady last year and he fell down, meaning Brohm would of been a 2nd rounder at best last year.

Guys at every positon are either hyped or overlooked every year and once the evaluations get serious all the qualities and flaws get scrutinized more and more and those players get graded and evaluated closer to their real talent level. The thing that can't be accurately evaluated however is how committed that player will be at the next level and how easy or difficult it is for them to grasp the NFL game. Look at Colston and how he turned heads by dedicating himself and working hard to play at high level in the NFL. On the other hand there are guys drafted high that think they can coast because of their name, draft position, and what they did in college. Those players rarely ever hit their potential and occasionally washout of the NFL rather quickly.

Shane P. Hallam
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
In think he falls to 6/7 as well. Maybe a team like San Fran or Washington take him in the 6th though.

hot route
04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Media outlets are saying it should be a no-complications procedure, but you never know. Got this from the Honolulu Advertiser:

Brennan said he was only told recently that he would require surgery. His agent, Bruce Tollner, said there was some debate whether to release the information. But it was Brennan who insisted on notifying National Football League officials. The 50 or so scouts attending Pro Bowl were told of Brennan’s condition right before the weigh-in session. Each received a letter detailing the chronology of Brennan’s injury and treatment.

“I didn’t want to hide anything,” Brennan said. “I wanted to be honest.”

Under the direction of San Francisco 49er quarterback coach Ted Tollner, Brennan threw for about an hour today. He did not participate in the running or weight-lifting drills.

Brennan was accurate on passes of all ranges, Tollner said.

“There’s no question he can play at the next level,” Tollner said. “He can make all of the throws.”

As a fan of his, I'm glad to hear he threw well. Also happy he was honest with the NFL about it, as the team doctors would likely have picked it up before the draft anyway. Looks like the 49ers have shown the most interest so far (Martz at Senior Bowl and Tollner at Pro Day), I hope they take a late flier on CB.

no love
04-01-2008, 06:44 PM

True. Going to the Niners as a qb has the added pressure of living up to two of the greatest qbs to ever play the game.

Going to the Cardinals and you have to live up the legacy of the great Jake Plummer.

neko4
04-01-2008, 08:02 PM
“There’s no question he can play at the next level,” Tollner said. “He can make all of the throws"

Thats what i like to hear
I dont ever remember him hurting his hip.
I know he had an ankle injury and concussion

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 08:29 PM
True. Going to the Niners as a qb has the added pressure of living up to two of the greatest qbs to ever play the game.

Going to the Cardinals and you have to live up the legacy of the great Jake Plummer.

if you want to look at it by scale of accomplishment, think of it like this:

49ers: montana and young won 5 of the 42 superbowls

Cards: Plummer got them their only playoff win since the truman administration some 60-70 years ago

lol...felt the need to point that out

BaLLiN
04-01-2008, 08:39 PM
sleeper now? even though its obvious that he will be at least decent backing up someone.

BeerBaron
04-01-2008, 08:46 PM
sleeper now? even though its obvious that he will be at least decent backing up someone.

idk if he counts as a sleeper but if his injury and weight gain arent that serious, he could be very underrated and drafted later than would otherwise dictate. could surprise some people if given the chance

asmitty45
04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
He'll get taken at some point, even with this some one will give him a shot

MNRunLeft
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Well if the Vikings dont make a deal for Sage they'll likely sign the Gus Bus and look for a younger QB to develop in case TJack doesn't work out.