PDA

View Full Version : ESPN vs. NFLN : Draft Coverage

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 05:47 PM
I've seen both networks, naturally, but that was when I was at home and had easy access to both.

We're getting sweet cable in the dorms, and I'm still debating whether I should be content with ESPN, or if I should fork over the extra to get the NFLN so I have their draft coverage.

What do you folks think the pros and cons of each network's coverage are? Discuss.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
NFLN's first day coverage is supposed to be streamed via their website free of charges, so you might not even have to fork over any additional cash. However, now that the NFLN has exclusive games, it might be worth it anyway.

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't have NFLN, so I say ESPN.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
NFLN's first day coverage is supposed to be streamed via their website free of charges, so you might not even have to fork over any additional cash. However, now that the NFLN has exclusive games, it might be worth it anyway.
That is nice, although my HDTV likely wouldn't be able to take full advantage of that :D

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 06:06 PM
That is nice, although my HDTV likely wouldn't be able to take full advantage of that :D

You're in a dorm with a HDTV? I'd rob you.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, not a dorm dorm per se...

It's University Housing, but they're apartments.

terribletowel39
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm afraid I would too.

And NFLN.

Turtlepower
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, not a dorm dorm per se...

It's University Housing, but they're apartments.

Oh ok, well that is a bit different. Honestly, unless you have 2 or 3 more guys willing to shill out the additional money for a sports package, I don't think it is worth it.

blackbelt3d
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh ok, well that is a bit different. Honestly, unless you have 2 or 3 more guys willing to shill out the additional money for a sports package, I don't think it is worth it.
I'll have to see... I know one of my roommates is in for at least the basic HD package (Which has ESPN HD). I don't know if getting the second tier with NFLN HD is in the works, especially since I plan to command the TV during the draft.

LonghornsLegend
04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
In general its NFLN and its not even close for me, draft day, for some reason it seems really weird if im watching something other then ESPN, its like dick clark on new years eve, so I stick with that, but ill want NFLN to hear their analysis afterwards because espn is too watered down in that aspect, NFLN has alot more insight to offer...But during the draft its ESPN every year.

BaLLiN
04-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I like NFLN just because of how they have better coverage...

Thunder&Lightning
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
like them both NFLN offers Path to the Draft which i always enjoy watching the only draw back to NFLN is mike mayock can not stand that dude. All in all they both are pretty good ESPN doesnt have an additional cost but its to hard to compare the too in my eyes.

OregonDucks
04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I personally like ESPN, cause the guys on there are more NFL football. NFLN is kinda annoying to listen to on draft day.

bored of education
04-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I like NFLN because they actually cover it with some knowledge. But the draft itself I like ESPN

Cheesus
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Is it true that they will stream it free? Otherwise I have to drive a half hour or goto a local bar. Do people hit up the bars on draft day?

AllDayFootball724
04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Keyshaun Johnson and Mel Kiper come on that should be the leading factor

MetSox17
04-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I enjoyed NFLN for the good part of this year..
till Dish decided to shaft me and put it on their upper packages
only. i actually liked it for the most part..
except for the idiots they put calling the games (gumbel, collinsworth)

etk
04-01-2008, 09:13 PM
NFLN....less aggravating.....the ESPN coverage is always filled with a panel of "screamers" that that speak loud, insignificant nonsense that distracts me from the actual draft moments.

cinnamonheart85
04-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Definately go with NFL Network because ESPN always wastes so much time talking about nonsense, etc. after the 1st round (and I know because I watch all 7 rounds every year) ESPN starts talking about irrelevant topics and off the field stuff, and guys are getting drafted and they don't give video higlights and commentary on all of them. The NFL Network consistently shows videos and insights on prospects throughout all 7 rounds, and they provide commentary about how this particular player may fit with his new team. I couldn't decide last year and went back and forth between the networks, and after that experiment I will always watch everything on the NFL network in regards to the draft.

Brent
04-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Neither? I wish I could just have the audio and video of the picks being said and not have to see or hear any of the "analysts".

WMD
04-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Berman used to tip the picks and that'd drive me crazy. He didn't do it so much last year, though.. I'll still go with ESPN for the first round.. after that I might switch over to NFLN.

JT Jag
04-01-2008, 11:56 PM
NFLN. Chris Berman always oh-so-casually spoils the pick, and ESPN focuses doggedly on the flavor-of-the-month QB who "slides" farther then "expected".

CARDIAC CAT 7
04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
The problem with NFL Network its just straight up draft pick after pick after pick. ESPN offers flashback and usually throws in intresting stories about prospects. NFL Network knows more about the draft overall but ESPN makes in more entertaining to watch.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Is it true that they will stream it free? Otherwise I have to drive a half hour or goto a local bar. Do people hit up the bars on draft day?

They did the entire first round last year, and I heard they're supposed to expand that coverage this year. If you have a decent internet connection it should work just fine (although last year I was like 20 seconds behind people watching it on television, which made for some interesting conversations over AIM).

I'm sure you could go to a bar, but depending on how things unfold, I would question my ability to drive back from said bar.

vidae
04-02-2008, 01:03 AM
I like Mel Kiper a lot more than Mike Mayock but I could NOT STAND Keyshawn during the draft last year. Every pick he suggested a team take a WR.

If Keyshawn is on ESPN again this year it'll be NFL Network for me, no question.

thebow305
04-02-2008, 01:26 AM
I am not a fan of Kiper or McShay when it comes to the draft. I question everytime I hear them how these guys even have jobs. Kiper is consistently wrong year after year with these drafts. His anaysis is good though. Just not his mocks, or rankings. Ad it nevers fails with his whining after he's wrong every year. At the same time, it would be wierd for me to watch the draft on anything but ESPN, as I do every year. I may switch a little back and forth between picks, but for the majority, ESPN it is.

AtariBigby
04-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Definately go with NFL Network because ESPN always wastes so much time talking about nonsense, etc. after the 1st round (and I know because I watch all 7 rounds every year) ESPN starts talking about irrelevant topics and off the field stuff, and guys are getting drafted and they don't give video higlights and commentary on all of them. The NFL Network consistently shows videos and insights on prospects throughout all 7 rounds, and they provide commentary about how this particular player may fit with his new team. I couldn't decide last year and went back and forth between the networks, and after that experiment I will always watch everything on the NFL network in regards to the draft.

I can definitely second that part..... ESPN does that every year. They do a terrible job, and they shaft some teams with their inconsistency. When it's the Redskins, Cowboys, Giants, Patriots on the clock, they will spend most of their time talking about their needs and prospects. Then when they make their pick, they will spend the next 5 minutes talking about it and they will get interviews with their player. But if it's the Vikings or Packers, they'll still be talking about the previous pick for most of their clock time, and then when they make the pick, they'll give them a minute, then take a commercial and come back and be on the clock with the next team...... the exceptions are the top picks like Adrian Peterson and AJ Hawk.... but even AJ Hawk didn't get the pub that most #5 picks do.

I can't say anything about NFLN draft coverage though because I have yet to watch it, but I will be flipping back & forth all the time this year.

By the way, it's Gumbel that sucks. Collinsworth is good. A bit goofy, but he's good, knows the game, and players names unlike BG.

therock6000
04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
i've always enjoyed espn's coverage...but (and i know i'm about the 4th person to say this) Berman friggin' kills me by tipping the occasional pick. in fact, i can remember the last pick that i watched on espn...it was 2 years back and KC was on the clock. when the commish walked to the podium, berman said something like, "could a defensive end be the pick?"...and sure enough, Hali was picked...and i've watched NFLN ever since