02-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Any news on contract talks?

mtmock
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
IDK but he was beastly last year and needs to be locked up! :D

D-Unit
02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
IDK but he was beastly last year and needs to be locked up! :D
Beastly, huh? Adequate is more like it. He's not exactly a beast in his run blocking.

mtmock
02-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Ya he's the toughest guy on our team...and allowed 1 sack all year! he was on mayock's pro-bowl snub list...COME ON JERRY LOCK HIM UP!

bearsfan_51
02-26-2007, 06:19 PM
http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~esplaver/images/columbo.jpg
You rang?

TNewFan41
02-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Can I see Mayock's pro-bowl snub list?
Newman better be on there.

D-Unit
02-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Ya he's the toughest guy on our team...and allowed 1 sack all year! he was on mayock's pro-bowl snub list...COME ON JERRY LOCK HIM UP!
Where did you get that stat? That's very hard to believe. In addition, Romo's running around probably had a lot to do with it. Bledsoe and Romo weren't exactly relaxed passers. Romo pretty much had to run for his life and Bledsoe was a sack dummy.

That said, I don't think Columbo is going anywhere.

Poet3334
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I think something will get done before Friday. What would you guys consider is too much for him? 4 million? 5?

TNewFan41
02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I think the perfect would be around 2 years for 7 million or so. 3 years at most.

Because he has only had 1 solid year, he still could be a bust or injury prone. Mickey said this and I tend to agree on this one.

Poet3334
02-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Sounds about right to me, although it's possible that someone will outbid for him.

TNewFan41
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't think so, he is still very underrated.

mtmock
02-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Can I see Mayock's pro-bowl snub list?
Newman better be on there.
he wasn't and yes Columbo .

mtmock
02-26-2007, 07:16 PM
D-unit were you neglected as a child or are you naturally a jerk. just wondering :D

mtmock
02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Come on D-unit admit you were wrong and look at this link for pro bowl snubs. Columbo was excellent this seasoon! :D
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9880915
i meant Adam Schefter he was the one with the list

TNewFan41
02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Newman wasn;t on the list?

Jeez he is the most underrated player in the league. We better all vote for him 423523636 times next year. I'll make sure he gets in.

TNewFan41
02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh I already saw that list, ehh its ok, nothing great.

mtmock
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Newman wasn;t on the list?

Jeez he is the most underrated player in the league. We better all vote for him 423523636 times next year. I'll make sure he gets in.
I'm in! he is very underrated i don't think it matters if he makes it he will eventually though. as long as he produces like a top 5 corner...we'll be just fine. :D

D-Unit
02-26-2007, 07:48 PM
D-unit were you neglected as a child or are you naturally a jerk. just wondering :D
I asked a legit question. I wanna see the proof that says Columbo gave up 1 sack. Is there a reference or did you pull that out of your butt?

TNewFan41
02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Lol.

OK everyone vote for newman 3423424 times.

Don't worry I will remind everyone when voting comes out.

mtmock
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Where did you get that stat? That's very hard to believe. In addition, Romo's running around probably had a lot to do with it. Bledsoe and Romo weren't exactly relaxed passers. Romo pretty much had to run for his life and Bledsoe was a sack dummy.

That said, I don't think Columbo is going anywhere.
Legit Q? That's calling me liar then gettin butt hurt when you are wrong...alright i'm done arguing ...let's stop it's really gettin lame...Truce?...i saw the stat i will try to find it for you

thule
02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
We started contract negotiations today it appears.

The Cowboys have opened formal discussions with the agent who represents starting right tackle Marc Colombo, according to a source. Colombo is one of the team's six potential unrestricted free agents. The free agency period begins Friday.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/16799862.htm

TNewFan41
02-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Yea, they said that on Talkin' Cowboys too.

thule
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Cowboys | Colombo expected back
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:45:08 -0800

Clarence E. Hill Jr., of Fort Worth Star-Telegram, reports Dallas Cowboys OT Marc Colombo is expected to be back with the team next season.

mtmock
02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtmock
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I asked a legit question. I wanna see the proof that says Columbo gave up 1 sack. Is there a reference or did you pull that out of your butt?
D-unit i found the stat..."RT Marc Colombo Allowed one sack with no holding penalties" by cwatkins@dallasnews.com ...i knew it but i couldn't find it till montainya told me. :) i just don't pull things out of thin air buddy :)

TNewFan41
03-03-2007, 02:38 PM
So what are the chances we re-sign him now?

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 03:49 PM
"Cowboys | Colombo testing market
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:39:42 -0800

Tim MacMahon, of the Dallas Morning News, reports unrestricted free-agent OT Marc Colombo (Cowboys) is testing the market. "

Whats the odds of retaining him?

Im willing to be he might be in high demand.

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Cowboys | Black could be an option
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:39:42 -0800

Tim MacMahon, of the Dallas Morning News, reports unrestricted free-agent OL Jordan Black (Chiefs), a Dallas Christian alum, could be an option for the Dallas Cowboys, especially if unrestricted free-agent OT Marc Colombo gets away.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Forget that crap, get Colombo re-signed.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 04:40 PM
TNew,

Let me ask you this question. If we're paying HIGH dollars for a player like Davis but haven't to Columbo.....don't you think the front office knows something you don't? Like either Columbo is asking for WAYYYY to much money, or the game film shows that other OL are better than his is for the same money.

Front office guys don't let players go for no reason whatsoever.

KILLERSANTA
03-04-2007, 04:44 PM
TNew,

Let me ask you this question. If we're paying HIGH dollars for a player like Davis but haven't to Columbo.....don't you think the front office knows something you don't? Like either Columbo is asking for WAYYYY to much money, or the game film shows that other OL are better than his is for the same money.

Front office guys don't let players go for no reason whatsoever.

Wow..........................You win the award, for dumbest post ever!!!!!

I'll send you a trophy this weekend.....

Why was Adalius Thomas a FA????

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 04:47 PM
"Why was Adalius Thomas a FA????"

Baltimore didnt have cap room to resign him.

And past LBs such as Sharper, Boulware, Hartwell etc... werent hard to replace for them, so Thomas wont be either.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm with LSU. Congratulations to Columbo for turning his career around. Thank you for helping us last year. But if you wanna get paid top dollar, I need more than 1 year of good play. He's had an injury riddled career, he's had big expectations that he hasn't lived up to in the past (why would a big contract now mean anything different), he's not a complete player (although good in pass protect, he's not so hot in run blocking) and he obviously is not a very loyal human being.

So if he wants to get selfish, I tell him, "go see what the market rate for your services is and come back to us when you find out the reality of the situation. Maybe we'll match, maybe we won't... and don't expect us to sit here waiting on you... We'll go see what other guys will cost us."

...that's probably what Jerry told him and I'm happy we haven't succumed to his demands.

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Its not about being selfish.

If one job offered you 50 dollars per hour, and your old job refused to give you a raise and wanted you to do the same thing for only 35, where would you work?

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
The deal for Colombo is still ont he table, and he hasn't signed yet, which is a good sign. It wer sign him, and our O-line is like this:

Adams-Kosiar-Gurode-Davis-Colombo

Plus another day 1 O-lineman, we are gonna be dominant.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Its not about being selfish.

If one job offered you 50 dollars per hour, and your old job refused to give you a raise and wanted you to do the same thing for only 35, where would you work?
If the first job picked my ass off the street, gave me a home, a nice life, new friends and a second chance to do what I love when no one else would, heck ya, I'd show some loyalty. If they were pleading me to come back and I turned my back on them in search for a few extra dollars, then yeah, I'd call that selfish. If he leaves, then I want him to leave. That would severely question my opinion of his character. He played for his contract last year... Will he have the same motivation next year?

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Dallas wasnt his first job, it was Chicago, and Dallas was just a stop in the road.

its a buisness.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Dallas wasnt his first job, it was Chicago, and Dallas was just a stop in the road.
The Bears threw him to the curb and he was sitting on the wire for a long time before Parcells decided to give him a second chance. In fact, we added him to our roster in 2005 while he was still injured. A lot of other guys could've used that roster spot more effectively. Instead he had all the top trainers and facilities to help him get rehab.

So now what do you have to say, Mr. Know it all?

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 05:59 PM
"So now what do you have to say, Mr. Know it all?"

AGAIN, its a buisness, why cant you understand that mod? And your trying to instigate fights, that doesnt seem like something a mod does.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow..........................You win the award, for dumbest post ever!!!!!

I'll send you a trophy this weekend.....

Why was Adalius Thomas a FA????

Because the Ravens think that he's not worth the money to keep him. How hard is that to understand?

No team 'forgets' how good a player is and 'forgets' to sign them. They either offer them a contract that another team overbids on (thus, why FA's are by defintion over paid) or they do not offer a contract (they think the player is past their prime, too expensive, have better options, etc).

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
LSU, we have 22 million in cap room. The money of his contract doesn't really matter, we still have plenty.

jdnoyes
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
LSU, we have 22 million in cap room. The money of his contract doesn't really matter, we still have plenty.

You have no idea what you are talking about, once the tenders for our RFA's are signed we have in the 16M range, once Davis's contract officially hits the books that goes down significantly more. You think the cap is in play for no reason? The money does really matter.

You wan't T-New and Romo on this team in 2 years, then you might want to pay attention to the cap, its important, and signing guys like Davis and Columbo costs cap room. Our teams inability to draft and develop offensive linemen from within has now cost Jerry 30M+ in bonuses in the last 3 free agent periods, with mixed results. I hope Davis works out and plays like the #2 overall pick, and i'll be rooting for him, but don't think that it wasn't a costly and very risky signing. Get a clue.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 07:35 PM

We have 22 million (actually it went up by around 5 million to 27 after Bledsoe was cut) THIS year. The key is what guys are counting against the cap next year, and the year after, etc.

Now, since none of us knows the exact extent to which players' contracts are structured we can only speculate. Players like Flozell are counting alot this year but will more than likely be replaced. Players like Rivera will be replaced. TO won't be around much longer. Also, it went down by 5 million when we decided to keep Terry Glenn (he had a $5 million dollar roster bonus this off season).

My point is that a guy may be costing alot against the cap this year and be gone to help us or he may be cheap this year and cost alot in the future.

You have to trust management at some point making these decisions because they are the only ones with all the information. However, since we are in the speculation business, it's fun to think about.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Yes it is. If we re-sign Colombo, ouro-line should be good. I would like another o-lineman on day 1 and maybe another back-up in FA for depth and injruy replacement purposes, because if someone goes down, we really don't have back-ups.

mtmock
03-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Davis is a Cowboy! YES! 7 years 49.75 mil!!!

nrcirc
03-04-2007, 08:43 PM
FYI

Last season, Colombo was called for six penalties, three of which were false starts and he allowed 4 1/2 sacks.

Evan we signed Davis, does Cowboys OL really better than last year? Maybe. But we are the third higher scores last year and now all we need to do is take care the DEFENSE's need.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 09:00 PM
"So now what do you have to say, Mr. Know it all?"

AGAIN, its a buisness, why cant you understand that mod? And your trying to instigate fights, that doesnt seem like something a mod does.
Just beat it before I ban you for coming in here and flaming the team on the signing. This is your first and only warning.

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Im talking to scott about this, your not doing your job, and this is abusing your privaledges.

Re-read the post i made here, there was ZERO flaming. And I even praised him.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Im talking to scott about this, your not doing your job, and this is abusing your privaledges.

Re-read the post i made here, there was ZERO flaming. And I even praised him.
scott@nfldraftcountdown.com

You've been hating in this forum for a while now. I'm not just referring to this single thread. Get real.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 06:40 AM
We don't need any defense. It was the schemes that messed us up, not the players, we have one of the most talented teams in the league. We were the 4th ranked Defense going into week 13. Parcells and Zimmer just sucked it up after that. We need o-line, and a FS, thats it, then our team is pretty much perfect.

UTPATS
03-05-2007, 08:48 AM
When you say FS, you mean Nelson right? Because if and when Landry and Nelson are gone, we are going to have to go in a different direction. I like Nelson, but I am not sure he will be there at 22, especially if he has a good pro day.

So, where do we look if Nelson is not there? OL--Blalock, or do we trade down and pick a OL then? Do we go ahead and draft a CB if one of the top 3 are there? Or do we sit on it and hope that CB is there for our second round pick?

How soon do we target a WR, because there is great depth here this year, we could get a guy who is not quite as polished (Rice), since we dont have a direct need early in the season, but WR will be nice further into the season when our two older guys are bang up some and need some fresh legs. Plus, when those guys step down or go insane, we will have a guy who will compilment Crayton and potentially battle for a number one spot.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Any more news on contract negotiations?

I think the perfect contrace would be 2 years with a 3 year option, that way if he starts to suck or gets hurt we can cut him or he will only be here for 2 years, but if he is good we can use the option for a 3rd y ear and then resign him to a long-term deal. The contract should be about 11 million with 4 million guaranteed.

Sound good?

Poet3334
03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Any more news on contract negotiations?

I think the perfect contrace would be 2 years with a 3 year option, that way if he starts to suck or gets hurt we can cut him or he will only be here for 2 years, but if he is good we can use the option for a 3rd y ear and then resign him to a long-term deal. The contract should be about 11 million with 4 million guaranteed.

Sound good?

That sounds great, but there's no way he stays for that contract. Not after what everyone else is signing for.

Burns336
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
We don't need any defense. It was the schemes that messed us up, not the players, we have one of the most talented teams in the league. We were the 4th ranked Defense going into week 13. Parcells and Zimmer just sucked it up after that. We need o-line, and a FS, thats it, then our team is pretty much perfect.

you are ********. this team is not even close to perfect. if you want to see perfect look at the 92-94 and even the 95 cowboys and compare them to this team to see all of the things we are missing. you're such a homer that i dont even like reading the board anymore.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 04:23 PM
If we draft Nelson, and sure up our o-line, tell me a whole that we have. We don't have a star RB, but Jones/Barber are more than enough, and we need some youth at reciever, that is it.

LSUALUM99
03-05-2007, 05:03 PM
you are ********. this team is not even close to perfect. if you want to see perfect look at the 92-94 and even the 95 cowboys and compare them to this team to see all of the things we are missing. you're such a homer that i dont even like reading the board anymore.

Actually, I almost left the board for the same reason. Blatant homerisim is almost tougher to stomach than overly pessimistic posters.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 05:08 PM
What is the big deal with being a homer..........Jeez you guys are so uptight.

LSUALUM99
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
What is the big deal with being logical and carefully considering other points of view?

Uptight? What exactly is uptight about disliking someone who thinks everything is the best ever or someone that thinks the sky is falling all the time.

Contrary to what you may think, I come to this board to INTELLIGENTLY discuss the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL Draft, FA and the NFL in general. Silly remarks about 'the lions suck so who cares?' is a waste of everyone's time. That's not being uptight, that's what adults call being respectful of the time of others.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 06:08 PM
I was just messing around. Sorry Sir, I forgot this was boot camp.

Anyway, can we turn this back into a thread about COLOMBO, seeing that it is the title of this thread.

Do you think we will get him signed?

Burns336
03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
What is the big deal with being logical and carefully considering other points of view?

Uptight? What exactly is uptight about disliking someone who thinks everything is the best ever or someone that thinks the sky is falling all the time.

Contrary to what you may think, I come to this board to INTELLIGENTLY discuss the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL Draft, FA and the NFL in general. Silly remarks about 'the lions suck so who cares?' is a waste of everyone's time. That's not being uptight, that's what adults call being respectful of the time of others.

I completely agree with you.

I just think that many of the comments made by some people on this board are flat out stupid due to the homerism involved in them. It gets to a point where it is just plain annoying and it makes the rest of us look like we agree with what is said if we dont go against it.

In response to the HOLES that we do have. It is on the D-line, in the secondary, with our ILB's, our O-line, dropped balls, julius running like a girl... we've got so many holes that its amazing that TNEW would call us perfect.

TNewFan41
03-05-2007, 06:44 PM
OK, can this thread go back to getting Colombo signed? Thanks.

bigmac076
03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
any news on Colombo guys? I can't find anything. If we could just get Colombo signed we'd be ready for the draft imo. No OLs first day.

nrcirc
03-07-2007, 09:46 AM
any news on Colombo guys? I can't find anything. If we could just get Colombo signed we'd be ready for the draft imo. No OLs first day.

Since he is not visiting any more teams, I believe we will get him back soon.

Go Cowboys
03-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Since he is not visiting any more teams, I believe we will get him back soon.
Lets keep our fingers crossed

TNewFan41
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Come on Colombo, you aren't getting anything better, so just re-sign.

Modano
03-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Why do you think other teams are not showing interest in him? They're afraid of his injury history or we fans consider him way better than he really is?

TNewFan41
03-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Or he just wants a ton of money......

And it still looks like we are in heavy negotiations with him:

http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=2EC12BD8-DDF9-D4E9-470CEDAB851DF7B2

Come on, get it done Jerry.

Staubach12
03-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Hopefully the deal will be done sometime in the next few days...

DMWSackMachine
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't object to a deal in the 2yr/7m dollar range like what is being circulated out there and on DC.com.

Colombo was, at worst, a solid RT this year, and that isn't anything to sniff at, but I don't want to break the bank for him, especially after the horrible Leonard Davis signing. I think we should go with a guy like Sears or Blalock in the 2nd round, if available. If not, take a shot at Yanda in the 3rd. But I would like to have him back, definitely.

Btw, whoever quoted Adam Freakin' Schefter as a credible source for his play is a moron. Schefter knows less about the NFL than TNew does....and that's saying something.

TNewFan41
03-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I am actually quite knowledgable, I just come on too strong and ignorant.

Staubach12
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't object to a deal in the 2yr/7m dollar range like what is being circulated out there and on DC.com.

Colombo was, at worst, a solid RT this year, and that isn't anything to sniff at, but I don't want to break the bank for him, especially after the horrible Leonard Davis signing. I think we should go with a guy like Sears or Blalock in the 2nd round, if available. If not, take a shot at Yanda in the 3rd. But I would like to have him back, definitely.

Btw, whoever quoted Adam Freakin' Schefter as a credible source for his play is a moron. Schefter knows less about the NFL than TNew does....and that's saying something.

I actually like Schefter. He's usually quite credible and accurate.

shane_man
03-08-2007, 06:57 AM
With this whole Marc Columbo nonsense... Does anyone feel that Dallas are getting stiffed if Columbo signs a contract with another team for the coming year? Here is a player we picked up off the injured scrapheap pile. Who WE rehabbed... And all we get is a mere season of good form out of him before he buggers off to some other team. It almost feels like Jerry made the wrong decision when signing him off the scrap heap... Maybe a two year deal with the option for a third(which is what he should have been offered from the start)...

I dont know. But i honestly feel that teams in that situation deserve some form of draft compensatory for bringing players hampered by injuries back into the game.

As for whether we sign him or not. The way i see it. We know what we have with Columbo. A solid RT who doesnt have delusions of granduer about playing left tackle. I would rather we got him signed then take another crap shoot on a draft pick or sign another tackle off of free agency and offer them 30 million more then there actual worth.(and i dont want Davis in as a starting tackle)

bigmac076
03-08-2007, 09:10 AM
With this whole Marc Columbo nonsense... Does anyone feel that Dallas are getting stiffed if Columbo signs a contract with another team for the coming year? Here is a player we picked up off the injured scrapheap pile. Who WE rehabbed... And all we get is a mere season of good form out of him before he buggers off to some other team. It almost feels like Jerry made the wrong decision when signing him off the scrap heap... Maybe a two year deal with the option for a third(which is what he should have been offered from the start)...

I dont know. But i honestly feel that teams in that situation deserve some form of draft compensatory for bringing players hampered by injuries back into the game.

As for whether we sign him or not. The way i see it. We know what we have with Columbo. A solid RT who doesnt have delusions of granduer about playing left tackle. I would rather we got him signed then take another crap shoot on a draft pick or sign another tackle off of free agency and offer them 30 million more then there actual worth.(and i dont want Davis in as a starting tackle)
Well it doesn't work the same way as baseball, there are no player options or team options. LSU mentioned it in another post, we should sign him to 2 year deal with the 2nd year voidable if he plays over 50% of the snaps in 2007.

shane_man
03-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Well it doesn't work the same way as baseball, there are no player options or team options. LSU mentioned it in another post, we should sign him to 2 year deal with the 2nd year voidable if he plays over 50% of the snaps in 2007.

We need the option to keep him around... Not the other way around... You may as well just franchise tag the guy if you were going to offer him that deal...

bigmac076
03-08-2007, 09:28 AM
We need the option to keep him around... Not the other way around... You may as well just franchise tag the guy if you were going to offer him that deal...
There no options man, did you read what I just posted? This isn't baseball. No options.

shane_man
03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
There no options man, did you read what I just posted? This isn't baseball. No options.

After what you posted. I didnt mean it literally. I was just clarifying that we cant allow him to have any option.

LSUALUM99
03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
LOL franchise the guy, to pay him the average salary of the top 5 in the league.

The reason you would do a voidable contract is to protect the player. He can void the contract if he plays more than 50% of the snaps. That means he can get a multi year deal (which is what he's looking for) and you offer less money becuase he won't be tied to it if he stays healthy and plays. The team takes less risk (ie offers less money) and the player takes less risk (i.e. he can get a multi year deal if he's unhealthy AND he can get out of it he is healthy.) It's a win-win proposition.

thule
03-08-2007, 02:08 PM
From BTB
I really like the logic used.
Here's an opinion on Marc Colombo: sometime during the next week he will sign a contract with the Dallas Cowboys that is a little better than the current 2-year, $7 million contract that is supposedly on the table. I don't have any inside information or sources; I'm only going on what I've read and intuition. I sought out the answer to the question from the magic 8-ball, but it said "Ask again later." So I did, and it said, "You are one needy guy. It has only been two minutes since you last asked. Because you are pestering me so, I will answer no more questions about this Marc Colombo." Leave it to me to own the only magic 8-ball with an attitude.

The storyline probably went something like this. Before free agency, the Cowboys' priority was getting a deal done with Andre Gurode. Once they managed this, the powers that be, Jerry, Stephen and Wade gathered in Jerry's office, snacked on some chocolate donuts with sprinkles, and discussed Marc Colombo and Leonard Davis. They decided they were going to go after Davis, and would also try to sign Colombo before the free agency period opened. Because of his injury history and only having one good season under his belt, they decided to feel out Colombo's agent and see what he wanted. When they heard the figures, they waited to see what happened in free agency.

Jerry didn't want to set the market above what he had in mind for Leonard Davis' contract. When Davis visited Dallas, numbers were discussed and Jerry felt they were a little higher than what he expected. Davis left for Washington to see if he could get The Short One to go long with the cash. When Dockery and Steinbach signed their deals, Jerry knew what the market was, called Davis on the cellie, and said I'll pay you a little more than what those guys got across the board, your contract will be the biggest. Davis wanted to play in Dallas; he wanted his momma to come to the games, so he got on the first plane in the morning and signed with Dallas.

Now Jerry has some real options in the Colombo negotiations. He still wants to sign Colombo, but at least he has something in place if he can't. He turns his attention back to Colombo, in between signing Gramatica, Johnson, et al. and sees the contract John Stinchcomb signed with the Saints, whose situation was eerily reminiscent of Colombo's. He decides that's a fair number and goes back to Colombo's agent with the 2-year, $7 million contract.

Meanwhile, Colombo's agent has been advising Colombo to test the free agency market to see what's out there. He probably threw out some ridiculous initial numbers at the Cowboys before free agency because he saw the rise in the salary cap and thought the money would be there for Colombo. The Cowboys balked.

Free agency begins and Colombo stirs up only lukewarm interest around the league. Maybe the Broncos, or the Jets, or somebody called Colombo's agent and got the same high numbers, especially after Team Colombo saw the other linemen's contracts, but the callers were not ready to go near that price. Colombo's knee and his short resume lead other teams to think the same about Colombo that the Cowboys did. Except to the Cowboys he was less of a risk, they've seen Colombo work everyday, they've seen his recovery from the knee injury up close, and they feel like he's going to be a worthy starter. But they still have a little trepidation. Plus, there's no reason to spend more than needed.

Now Colombo is sitting a week into free agency, and hasn't visited anybody and only has a deal on the table from the Cowboys. The trip to Denver, as far as I can tell, never happened. Not one reporter from the Denver media reported a Marc Colombo visit. The only mentions of his name are surrounded by descriptors like "could be interested in" or "still on their list of possibilities." Not very comforting, for Colombo or his agent, who must be thinking I've over-estimated his value.

The guess here is that Colombo's agent will take another shot with some of the teams that have shown interest at a reduced rate. He will make a modified proposal; see if it gets anywhere, and if it doesn't, he will return to the table with the Cowboys. Now, he's at a big disadvantage, he hasn't even been able to cook up a visit to another team to worry Jerry. But he needs to show something for his effort, so he gets a little more guaranteed money out of the basic contract that the Cowboys had already offered - Jerry accommodates him with some extra cash that is chickenfeed in the overall scheme of things. Colombo then signs the deal.

I asked the magic 8-ball one more time if my prediction that Colombo would return was accurate, and it said - and I quote - "Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge." Needless to say I'm looking for a new magic 8-ball in free agency, but every one of them I talk to wants at least a four-year deal.

Paul
03-09-2007, 03:51 PM
ESPN Ticker: Dallas Cowboys Re-sign OT Marc Colombo to 2 year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2793326

D-Unit
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Bout time. Perfection!

Im_a_Romosexual
03-09-2007, 03:56 PM
I was just about to bring it up...

Paul
03-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Colombo received a two-year, $7 million deal that included a $4 million signing bonus.

Not Bad. Now we got C, RG, and RT solidified for the next few years.

bigmac076
03-09-2007, 04:07 PM
what a relief, now, onto the draft!

Poet3334
03-09-2007, 04:20 PM
What a powerful right side we will have. I'm excited!

D-Unit
03-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Just wanna see this on paper....

LT Flozell Adams
LG Kyle Kosier
C Andre Gurode
RG Leonard Davis
RT Marc Columbo

OK, time to develop some depth.

...Not bad...

Poet3334
03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
So, how would your first 3 rounds go. I think mine would be S, WR, T/G.

Paul
03-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Well we have Proctor, Fabini and Mcquistian (However you spell it) behind them. We definitely need a C, either a cheap FA or a 2nd day pick.

TNewFan41
03-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Yup,. Just saw it on the bottom line. SWEET. Now onto the draft, as someone else said.

thule
03-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Marc Colombo will be back with the Cowboys.

Colombo, who started every game at right tackle in 2006, signed a two-year deal worth $7 million, ending a stop-and-start negotiation that went back to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Colombo will receive a $4 million signing bonus and base salaries of $1 million and $2 million the next two seasons.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/031007cpcolombo.358147a3.html

TNewFan41
03-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Bout time. Perfection!

1 question guys. Did I not say we were close to a perfect team and I got ripped apart for it, yet D-Unit it says it and no one cares. This is what I mean.

D-Unit
03-09-2007, 06:24 PM
1 question guys. Did I not say we were close to a perfect team and I got ripped apart for it, yet D-Unit it says it and no one cares. This is what I mean.
I didn't say we have a perfect team... I said Columbo's contract is perfect. lol.

TNewFan41
03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
O, ok. I agree with that, lol.

Staubach12
03-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Hopefully our line problems are over for now.