PDA

View Full Version : Will Chad Johnson get traded?

Packman1957
04-02-2008, 07:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3324154

I know this has kind of been discussed a little bit before, but my poll question is do you think Chad Johnson will get traded by the start of the 08 season? And if so who is the best potential suitor. According to Marvin Lewis in that article, he seems like he is not going to let him go. However I find it hard to believe if he got the right offer he wouldn't trade him. And plus this could be just a smokescreen by Lewis to try and get more trade value for him by pretending they aren't shopping him.

What do you guys think? I personally think he will be gone by the start of the season.

AkiliSmith
04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
There is no way he gets traded. Not only would they be losing their best receiver, but there is a significant cap hit. Also Houshmandzadeh is a free agent after this season, so it would be stupid to risk losing both in 1 year.

Packman1957
04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
There is no way he gets traded. Not only would they be losing their best receiver, but there is a significant cap hit. Also Houshmandzadeh is a free agent after this season, so it would be stupid to risk losing both in 1 year.

Yeah I forget about the cap hit, but honestly if he doesn't get his way he might end up being as dysfunctional as Randy Moss was in Oakland and the situation might escalate. When players are unhappy they will cry and cry until they get their way, and I am not sure whether the Bengals are going to want to put up with that. This kind of reminds me of the Javon Walker situation with the Packers a couple of years ago except the Packers didn't take a big cap hit from it.

Maybe you are right, but history has shown these guys usually end up getting traded away eventually. Unless Chad gets a change of heart I don't see this being any different. I understand the Bengals do get quite a big cap hit, but I think if they traded him now they would get better trade value on him, than say 3 weeks into the regular season, when you notice he isn't performing hard.

Jakey
04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
He wont be playing for them next season, weather or not he will be traded...i dont know.

Addict
04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Well I can imagine a few times who might be interested... Philli, Dallas, Tampa...

Hawk
04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
He's gone, I expect a draft day trade.

bearsfan_51
04-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah I actually don't think he'll be traded, even though I put it in my most recent mock.

The Bengals seem pretty set on forcing his hand, and good for them. NFL GM's are all too quick to bail out and give the player what he wants.

21ST
04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I think he will get traded and hopefully it is to the redskins because we could really use him.

bigbluedefense
04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
he's not going anywhere.

JagHombre22
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
if he did get traded I would say it would be on draft day....

terribletowel39
04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
It is debateable as to whether he is their best receiver anymore. TJ ripped it up last year. He is more reliable than CJ, doesn't have as big of a game breaking ability as CJ does but I know many can make an arguement for TJ over CJ. I for one am more scared of TJ than I am CJ when the Steelers play them.

I hope he gets traded.

Geo
04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
They can't trade Johnson now, when they haven't groomed anyone yet. Plus Housh isn't even signed long-term yet, and he's usually nicked up with an injury.

But if they draft a wide receiver or two this year, he could be moved later on when the financial hit is much less. Brown undoubtedly isn't going to throw money away, and lose Chad Johnson, no matter what Lewis and his coaches want.

Thunder&Lightning
04-02-2008, 12:42 PM
They have reiterated that they are not trading him many times. Chads going to have to suck it up and play next year...

Packman1957
04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
They have reiterated that they are not trading him many times. Chads going to have to suck it up and play next year...

So...who cares if they say that. A couple of years ago, the Packers said they weren't trading Javon Walker, sure enough come draft day he was traded. The Packers said they weren't trading Mike McKenzie, a few weeks into the regular season he gets traded. I know thats the Packers, but so what. Them saying that doesn't mean much of anything IMO. If they got the right offer they would dump him. The only reason why they wouldn't is because of the cap hit, maybe they will keep him all the way into this fall just for that reason, but if he is not performing at all, I would be surprised if they didn't get rid of him.

JMiah
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I wonder if he really will sit for the year as he is now threatening? I think he will continue to make threats to try and get out and the Beng won't budge. I think after the draft he will change his tune, saying that the Beng got some players that might help change the face of the team...

SaintsFanForLife
04-02-2008, 12:58 PM
He will not be traded this year. IMO

Jakey
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
I wonder if he really will sit for the year as he is now threatening? I think he will continue to make threats to try and get out and the Beng won't budge. I think after the draft he will change his tune, saying that the Beng got some players that might help change the face of the team...

Thats a good thought, i think that will prolly be his excuse if he isnt traded on draft day.

SaintsFanForLife
04-02-2008, 01:22 PM

I dont think he will and that is becouse if he sit's out over the 10 game mark the year gets extended to his contract. So I dont see him wanting to be locked up for another year. But he could sit till game 9 if he wants to i guess.

AkiliSmith
04-02-2008, 01:25 PM
It is debateable as to whether he is their best receiver anymore. TJ ripped it up last year. He is more reliable than CJ, doesn't have as big of a game breaking ability as CJ does but I know many can make an arguement for TJ over CJ. I for one am more scared of TJ than I am CJ when the Steelers play them.

I hope he gets traded.

You don't think TJ had a great season because Chad is double teamed all game long? TJ is a solid receiver no doubt, but he's not near as good without Chad.

terribletowel39
04-02-2008, 01:28 PM
You don't think TJ had a great season because Chad is double teamed all game long? TJ is a solid receiver no doubt, but he's not near as good without Chad.
No, no I don't think that. I know he wasn't doubled when we played the Bengals. Ike Taylor one on one. TJ always does the damage. CJ is a wuss.

PalmerToCJ
04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
TJ gets PLENTY of attention, not like he's single coverage every game. There's been plenty of times CJ gets single coverage and TJ gets doubled.

Anyways, Marvin Lewis has come out TWICE and said he's not going anywhere. It's as much of a money thing as anything. I wish he would/could get traded but that doesn't seem like the case.

Chad will play, might miss a good chunk of camp but he'll cave.

themaninblack
04-02-2008, 03:38 PM
TJ does get help from CJ in alot of ways. Its not as dramatic as some might say it is but Chads presence definitely helps TJ to an extent. If CJ doesn't want to play fine, maybe a starting position will be what Chris Henry really needs. He does, after all, have the most physical talent of any WR on our team.

asmitty45
04-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I think its a possibility, i dont know why Dallas wouldnt look into it, if they want a WR id think theyd be better served giving up both #1's and maybe a future 2 for a great WR, instead of drafting a guy like Devin Thomas or Sweed.

AlexDown
04-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I think its a possibility, i dont know why Dallas wouldnt look into it, if they want a WR id think theyd be better served giving up both #1's and maybe a future 2 for a great WR, instead of drafting a guy like Devin Thomas or Sweed.

They would never give up that much. That is ridiculous.

AllDayFootball724
04-02-2008, 04:14 PM
He gets traded after June 1st, this way they take less of a cap hit. And it can be for a player and future draft pick. Say Lito and a 4th or 5th

CC.SD
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I would lose the coaching staff that has proven itself time and time again to be a cast of complete failures way before trading an All Pro wideout in his prime for dancing in the end zone.

Next year, if the Bengals still...

can't play any defense.
can't put together game winning drives.
can't stop their players from driving drunk/kicking babies.
AND, can't even figure out how to start fixing these situations, then it would time to trade Chad. He's a distraction after all. :D

It really is ridiculous how much heat their best player not named Carson is taking. Maybe they should alienate the losers who can't play, instead?

DJC
04-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Anyone hearing him on SportsCenter right now?

I think he's gone.

kwilk103
04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
needs to stop crying

terribletowel39
04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
No, at work.
Post up some notes or something.

Mr. Anderson
04-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't know, but I just saw his sportscenter interview, and that boy aint right.

The Legend
04-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Kobe Bryant type thing, he wants to get traded then he chills out and it blows over

DJC
04-02-2008, 06:51 PM
No, at work.
Post up some notes or something
Apparently Chad didnt hear about what Marvin recently said until the interview. Brian Kinney read him Marvins quote about moving on without him, and his response was just "OK". He really didnt say much. He wants people to like him, he never did anything wrong. Sounds like he's ready to move on. When Kinney asked if the Bengals told him to keep quite would he comply, CJ said he wouldnt change.

Packman1957
04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
That interview was pretty weird to say the least. You can't tell me this guy isn't serious about wanting out of Cincy at any cost after hearing that.

I think personally no one in the NFL should pick this guy up, maybe it would teach all these players a lesson. He is getting paid millions, being in the NFL is a priviledge, and I don't think Chad realizes that at all. Chad is all about Chad all the time. He is so full of himself its sick.

AllDayFootball724
04-02-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't think we know all of the story. Maybe he was told something or something was said. He tell them he wants out and he wants to be traded. They laugh at him and say yeah right your not going anywhere. Then he threatnes by saying he is going to go to the press. They laugh again. He does it. There has to be some reason, it just that neither side wants to tell the story.

LonghornsLegend
04-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah I actually don't think he'll be traded, even though I put it in my most recent mock.

The Bengals seem pretty set on forcing his hand, and good for them. NFL GM's are all too quick to bail out and give the player what he wants.

As much as I liked it, id love Roy alot more...Philly would be one team who could think about giving up their 1st for him and it would make some sense.

PalmerToCJ
04-02-2008, 10:21 PM
He either needs to shut his mouth and play (very unlikely) or just shut his mouth and sit (again, unlikely).

I'd be happy if he sat the year out as long as he shut his mouth. This potential deal with Henry only gives him leverage... That's the last thing we need. A clean Henry and TJ is still a good recieving combo.

CC.SD
04-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Just saw the interview. I've got a bit of a radio background, and can I just say, the real screwup was the interviewer!

Either cut off the interview or don't. Have some extra questions prepared, and be prepared to prod on a character like CJ. Dead air is an absolute murderjob, and I can only imagine that's more drastic on tv. It just didn't seem professional.

themaninblack
04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
he said he was just going to keep playing. kind of surprised at that. i think he'll play n if we do well he'll be "in love with cincy" again.

neko4
04-03-2008, 04:51 AM
I really thought Carson and Chad had a chance to be a HOF duo. The talent is there and the stats were getting there. I really hope he decides to stay

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 06:54 AM
I said no, but he will play next year. It may sound bad to most, but he cares too much about himself not to play. He has said repeatedly that if he isn't traded, Cincy will still get the same Chad on the football feild.

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Anyone hear Chad on Sportscenter? I cant believe anyone thinks he will play for Cincy, after he trashed the team and Marvin over and over I dont understand how he will be able to be in that lockeroom during the season...Cap Penalty or not, sounds like he's digging a hole too deep.

PalmerToCJ
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
he said he was just going to keep playing. kind of surprised at that. i think he'll play n if we do well he'll be "in love with cincy" again.

Pretty much... I think he's Bi-Polar or something, he's gotta have a mental disorder.

It's pretty much got to the point around here that people just ignore him.

Vikes99ej
04-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Anyone hear Chad on Sportscenter? I cant believe anyone thinks he will play for Cincy, after he trashed the team and Marvin over and over I dont understand how he will be able to be in that lockeroom during the season...Cap Penalty or not, sounds like he's digging a hole too deep.

That was one of the most awkward interviews I have ever hear. He sounded like a 12-year old kid.

Flyboy
04-03-2008, 03:16 PM
That was one of the most awkward interviews I have ever hear. He sounded like a 12-year old kid.

I thought he sounded fine.. the interviewer on the other hand? Blah.

art vandelay
04-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Chad has no idea what he wants. He just wants to be Chad.

And no, they won't trade him now that they released Henry. Housh and Antonio Chatman, 1 and 2? Good luck.

Packer_Backer
04-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Do they really have an option at this point? He has spent the offseason running the team through the mud, and I can't imagine the lockerroom or staff accepting him back with open arms. I figure they either trade him or sit him for part of the year.

themaninblack
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
If he comes in and does things the right way as Marvin said, I don't see a reason to keep him off the field. He can say what he wants for all im care as long as he comes to play and doesn't act like that in the locker room. I understand his frustration as ALL Bengal fans should but he has gotten out of hand. If he doesn't act right when it matters than he can sit the bench.

Packman1957
04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Now with Chris Henry gone, and the uncertainty of Chad Johnson, will the Bengals draft a WR early on, I would think so right...maybe they will spend a 2nd rounder on one. Because even if Chad stays, depth is badly needed, and if you do wind up having a problem with Chad, than they are in a lot of trouble.

Turtlepower
04-04-2008, 10:33 AM
So how long until people start saying "Chad to Dallas" just because it is a high-profile player and everyone wants to create unfounded rumors about the Cowboys and players in the limelight.

M.O.T.H.
04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
So how long until people start saying "Chad to Dallas" just because it is a high-profile player and everyone wants to create unfounded rumors about the Cowboys and players in the limelight.

It's already started. I really dont see it, though.

Turtlepower
04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
It's already started. I really dont see it, though.

It never happens. The worst is ESPN when it comes to it. Seriously, was there any chance that Moss or Hall were going to Dallas? No. But whenever a big-name guy is on the movie, ESPN has to bring up Dallas.

PalmerToCJ
04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Now with Chris Henry gone, and the uncertainty of Chad Johnson, will the Bengals draft a WR early on, I would think so right...maybe they will spend a 2nd rounder on one. Because even if Chad stays, depth is badly needed, and if you do wind up having a problem with Chad, than they are in a lot of trouble.

Yes. As of now I'm expecting one in the 2nd or with one of our 3rds. Hopefully a 3rd.

We've got a nutcase, TJ who's a rock but still isn't re-signed, Chatman who's adequate but injury prone and Glenn Holt who I really like as a depth guy... He had some big games for us.

We need a WR for now and the future, it's likely WR gets addressed day 1.