PDA

View Full Version : Another Newb Steelers Mock!

AgentM
04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Hey all, long time draft geek but I just joined this forum. Figured I'd kick off my posting here with a Steelers Mock as it seems to be the thing to do around here! I'm not picking the players I personnally want, but rather ones that I'm guessing will be available and still fit the Steelers mold at each position. Obviously comments and questions are welcome, just go easy on the newb ;)

1st Rd (Pick 23) - Gosder Cherilus - OT - Boston College
With all of the love that Branden Albert is gaining I see him getting picked before the Steelers get on the board along with Chris Williams and Jeff Otah.
The O-Line is by far the biggest need and the best player available at this position should be the choice.

2nd Rd (Pick 53) - Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida
We all know that Big Ben has asked for a tall receiver to throw to, but I think they go for a faster version of Hines Ward in the 2nd round. He's a good
blocker already and will become great at it learning from Ward. He also has the run after catch skills to break open short routes and make plays out
of nothing.

3rd Rd (Pick 88) - Charles Godfrey - CB - Iowa
It appears that the Steelers are interested in him and he fits the mold of our recent CB draft picks - loads of raw potential that we hope we can turn into a good pro cornerback. So far the results are mixed at best with guys like Colclough and Taylor. But with the rules skewed to help out the passing
offense nowadays you need as many talented cornerbacks as possible.

4th Rd (Pick 123) - Kendall Langford - DE - Hampton
More of a classic project. He seems to be a perfect fit at DE in a 3-4 defense. The interest in him and DE to OLB conversion types like Crable and Avril seem to be hinting that the 3-4 is sticking around in Pittsburgh. I've never seen this kid play but he sounds like a best. In 237 plays run directly at him he gave up 63 yard for an average of .27 yard per attempt. Granted it was against lesser competition but he just sounds like a Steeler!

5th Rd (Pick 156) - Curtis Johnson - OLB - Clark (Atlanta)
I seem to be stuck on kids with potential now... The Steelers lack of a pass rush against quality O-lines really hurt them last year and as we all saw the only way to beat the Patriots is to beat up on Tom Brady. From what he did in post season games and drills he seems to have the tools to be another
Porter type player. And a year or two behind Harrison and Woodley will give him time to learn the position without any pressure

6th Rd (Pick 188) - Jerome Felton - FB/RB - Furman
A big, strong back that excels in short yardage scoring. He can push the pile and usually falls forward. Could be the 2nd half of the one-two punch
Steelers fan always want from the running back position.

Mr. Stiller
04-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Hey all, long time draft geek but I just joined this forum. Figured I'd kick off my posting here with a Steelers Mock as it seems to be the thing to do around here! I'm not picking the players I personnally want, but rather ones that I'm guessing will be available and still fit the Steelers mold at each position. Obviously comments and questions are welcome, just go easy on the newb ;)

1st Rd (Pick 23) - Gosder Cherilus - OT - Boston College
With all of the love that Branden Albert is gaining I see him getting picked before the Steelers get on the board along with Chris Williams and Jeff Otah.
The O-Line is by far the biggest need and the best player available at this position should be the choice.

I agree the OL is a problem.. but we have a problem to solve pre draft.. Who what where?

Starks just signed a 4 year 20M+ Contract, Smith is supposedly being looked at for a contract. Colon took Starks job, and Essex is still hanging around. So:

1) Who does Gosder Replace? (Can't be Starks)
2) Is there not better value (Cason, Groves, Mayo etc.)

Personally I think the Reason we look to albert is because he's a guard. We need a OG more than anything. I think Simmons should move to LG to face the faster Quick twitch DT's, We need a mauler. I love Chilo Rachal to the point I'm willing to take someone else in round 1 or Rachal himself so we have our OG and can look elsewhere. Getting a Cason/Groves in round 1 and Chilo in round 2 would go a ways to getting things going. Though this presents another point. Who what Where.. the OG version.

OG: Simmons, Mahan, Stapleton, Kemo, *Colon. We have 5 guys taht could play guard already on the roster. Who does a round 1 pick replace?

2nd Rd (Pick 53) - Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida
We all know that Big Ben has asked for a tall receiver to throw to, but I think they go for a faster version of Hines Ward in the 2nd round. He's a good
blocker already and will become great at it learning from Ward. He also has the run after catch skills to break open short routes and make plays out
of nothing.

I love Caldwell and I think your description is on par.

3rd Rd (Pick 88) - Charles Godfrey - CB - Iowa
It appears that the Steelers are interested in him and he fits the mold of our recent CB draft picks - loads of raw potential that we hope we can turn into a good pro cornerback. So far the results are mixed at best with guys like Colclough and Taylor. But with the rules skewed to help out the passing
offense nowadays you need as many talented cornerbacks as possible.

I see him at FS, I don't think he's fluid enough to play CB in the Pros (Like I feel about Talib.)

4th Rd (Pick 123) - Kendall Langford - DE - Hampton
More of a classic project. He seems to be a perfect fit at DE in a 3-4 defense. The interest in him and DE to OLB conversion types like Crable and Avril seem to be hinting that the 3-4 is sticking around in Pittsburgh. I've never seen this kid play but he sounds like a best. In 237 plays run directly at him he gave up 63 yard for an average of .27 yard per attempt. Granted it was against lesser competition but he just sounds like a Steeler!

With how many teams playing a 3-4 Nowadays there is absolutely no way Langford falls past round 3. If he does< i'm almost 100% certain the Browns will trade their 5th-7th round draft picks to trade up to get him.

Hampton plays a 3-4 So he's already familiar with the 3-4 WDE Responsibilities (I'd also like Hamptons SDE in UDFA).

And yes the 3-4 is sticking around.

5th Rd (Pick 156) - Curtis Johnson - OLB - Clark (Atlanta)
I seem to be stuck on kids with potential now... The Steelers lack of a pass rush against quality O-lines really hurt them last year and as we all saw the only way to beat the Patriots is to beat up on Tom Brady. From what he did in post season games and drills he seems to have the tools to be another
Porter type player. And a year or two behind Harrison and Woodley will give him time to learn the position without any pressure

Good choice here, though, I like him, but i'm not a huge fan. I think we could do better, a guy like Doug Legursky as a C/G prospect or Marcus Monk. Monk has 4.4 speed and is big. Best of both worlds. Add to it an injury riddled senior season which allows him to fall into our clenches here.

6th Rd (Pick 188) - Jerome Felton - FB/RB - Furman
A big, strong back that excels in short yardage scoring. He can push the pile and usually falls forward. Could be the 2nd half of the one-two punch
Steelers fan always want from the running back position.

Not bad for a 6th rounder, I just see us having other issues. the Two RB/FB's we brought in Carry UDFA grades right now (Brandon McAnderson & Jehuu Caulcrick.

Don't mind me, I'm picky, overall not a bad mock.

mikehop05
04-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I really like:

the Caldwell pick, I like him and Early Doucet equally in the second round.

the Langford pick, the guy screams 'solid 3-4 end' for years to come, though I agree with Stiller in that I do not see him being there

Not a fan of:

The Cherlious pick... he is a RT, plain and simple, and to be honest we have 2 more than capable RT's (three if you want to add in Smith to Starks and Colon)

I feel pretty mutual about the other picks... overall a solid mock though

mikehop05
04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Stiller, when did Starks sign this contract?

AgentM
04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it!

And I see what you're saying about Cherilus only being a RT. I'm hoping for Albert to be there when we pick in the first, but like I said I'm getting nervous that he won't be there.

I've heard that the Steelers have talked to (or are supposed to talk to) Talib, Cason, and Godfrey as far as CB's are concerned. Are there any others that have been mentioned?

DeathbyStat
04-02-2008, 04:07 PM
The history of failed Florida WR's in the NFL puts a damper on the Caldwell pick for me.

AllDayFootball724
04-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I say we move down if Albert is gone to the second round top of second and get that USC Guard we all want.

Gets us extra second and maybe 4th or 5th.

FordFairlane
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
I like everything except the Andre Caldwell pick. When was the last receiver from Florida that did anything in the NFL? I mean look at his brother. Remember when the big debate was between Santonio Holmes and Chad jackson as the number one receiver coming out of the draft. Yeah, look like we made a pretty good decision.

mikehop05
04-02-2008, 04:19 PM
The history of failed Florida WR's in the NFL puts a damper on the Caldwell pick for me.

yeah ive heard this complaint before and i am not sure how to take it...

on one hand Florida has a relatively new coach and scheme, so players coming in during that time are playing under a different system... on the other hand you cannot argue with history

mikehop05
04-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I like everything except the Andre Caldwell pick. When was the last receiver from Florida that did anything in the NFL? I mean look at his brother. Remember when the big debate was between Santonio Holmes and Chad jackson as the number one receiver coming out of the draft. Yeah, look like we made a pretty good decision.

Jackson hasn't had a fair shot, he got injured early then got buried on the depth chart behind wlker, stallworth, moss... not really his fault

FordFairlane
04-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Jackson hasn't had a fair shot, he got injured early then got buried on the depth chart behind wlker, stallworth, moss... not really his fault

True. But why were they signing WR's like Welker, Moss, and Stallworth if they thought he could be a even #3 receiver? Obviously, the coaching staff didn't have a lot of faith in him.

AgentM
04-02-2008, 05:59 PM

I agree the track record of Florida receivers in the NFL hasn't been great so far, but there are other guys that break the mold of NFL busts. Like Larry Johnson coming in from PSU and actually being a productive running back. I could be wrong but I have a good feeling about Andre Caldwell in the NFL.

Jakey
04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I like Caldwell, but if Earl Bennett was there in the 2nd, i would rather have him.

AllDayFootball724
04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
no Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz

mikehop05
04-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I like Early Doucet, or maybe I just really like his name... haven't decided yet

bunson
04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I like it!

TheWood56
04-03-2008, 01:01 AM
Stiller, when did Starks sign this contract?

Starks hasn't signed anything yet, so I have no idea where Stiller got that from. :confused:

Mr. Stiller
04-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Starks hasn't signed anything yet, so I have no idea where Stiller got that from. :confused:

I saw somewhere that he signed a 4 year 21.5M contract.

Guess I misread something.

FordFairlane
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Well, if that was true I would guess the plan is to move Colon to LG making our O-line look like this. Smith, Colon, Mahan, Simmons, Starks. Which is an okay line I guess. But our left side looks way stronger than our right and we'd definitely need to re-sign Smith to a long-term deal.

Looking at that I would rather not sign Starks to a long-term deal use that money to sign Smith and then draft a Cherilus in the first or even taking an Anthiny Collins way later. I mean we still have Trai Essex to fight for the RT position so if we only need a RT I say see what Essex, Jason Capizzi, and a draft pick can do at RT.

mikehop05
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, if that was true I would guess the plan is to move Colon to LG making our O-line look like this. Smith, Colon, Mahan, Simmons, Starks. Which is an okay line I guess. But our left side looks way stronger than our right and we'd definitely need to re-sign Smith to a long-term deal.

Looking at that I would rather not sign Starks to a long-term deal use that money to sign Smith and then draft a Cherilus in the first or even taking an Anthiny Collins way later. I mean we still have Trai Essex to fight for the RT position so if we only need a RT I say see what Essex, Jason Capizzi, and a draft pick can do at RT.

I think it would be Smith, Simmons, Hatrwig, Colon, Starks, personally

TheWood56
04-04-2008, 03:10 AM

Hahahahahahaha. That's pretty funny actually, because I know exactly what you're talking about. Someone over at SCI posted this, but it was for April fools.

Mr. Stiller
04-04-2008, 03:47 AM

God I never want to see Trai Essex at RT. He barely has the functional strength to block CB's, Safeties, Speedy DE/LBS. Him going against a Richard Seymour would be just a horrible joke on Ben.