PDA

View Full Version : Donny Avery has a "lights out" workout according to Gil Brandt

Iamcanadian
04-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Eighteen NFL teams sent representatives to Houston to see WR Donnie Avery's workout. "He was unable to participate in the school's pro day two weeks ago while nursing a right hamstring injury." Avery, caught passes "from former Texas Tech QB B.J. Symons, ran indoors on Astroturf, and he had a workout that can best be described as "lights out"

WR Donnie Avery (5-11 1/8, 182): Ran the 40 in 4.35 and 4.34, had a 37 -inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 6-inch long jump, 3.91 short shuttle, 6.30 cone drill, ran position drills.

Now, those are exceptional fast times.

art vandelay
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Call me crazy, but I'd take Avery over DeSean Jackson every day.

ThePudge
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Depends what your taking him as. As a return man DeSean Jackson is clearly more gifted. Avery comes from that dangerous offense at Houston that never really requires a receiver to run NFL style routes, but rather mostly screens and a slant from time to time. I'll still take Jackson, as I think he is both more polished as a receiver and a naturally more talented Kick/Punt Returner. However, from an upside perspective, Avery could have the edge with superior speed and quickness in addition to being roughly an inch taller and 10 pounds heavier.

Hokie_Pokie08
04-03-2008, 12:38 AM

hell i would take eddie royal over jackson as well. i think jackson is one of the most overrated prospects this year.

d34ng3l021
04-03-2008, 12:56 AM

Uhh...you are crazy.

theMadStork
04-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Uhh...you are crazy.
i second that. if you think DeSean is overrated, you haven't seen him. i actually think he;s underrated

brat316
04-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Dexter Jackson FTW

thebow305
04-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Wouldn't mind Avery at all in the 4th, not any sooner though, even though i like him very much as a prospect, we have other needs.

Caddy
04-03-2008, 01:26 AM
If you got him in the fourth I think that would be a big steal.

Solomon
04-03-2008, 02:55 AM
I believe that is the best 3 cone drill time I have ever heard of (6.30).

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 02:55 AM
He is going to go higher than people think. I don't see him getting out of the 2nd round.

metafour
04-03-2008, 06:14 AM
He is going to go higher than people think. I don't see him getting out of the 2nd round.

I watched Path to the Draft on NFLN the other day and they had a Tampa writer/insider on who kept talking about Avery possibly going to the Bucs in the first round. I almost fell out of my chair when the guy said "Look for the Bucs to target a WR...like Donny Avery"

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Some J*ck*ss for the Eagles said that, and I find that nearly impossible to beleive, I do see him going in the second though, like Scott said.

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 06:35 AM
I watched Path to the Draft on NFLN the other day and they had a Tampa writer/insider on who kept talking about Avery possibly going to the Bucs in the first round. I almost fell out of my chair when the guy said "Look for the Bucs to target a WR...like Donny Avery"

First round?!?

Now that would surprise me but I guess you never know. Look at Craig Davis last year.

metafour
04-03-2008, 06:38 AM
First round?!?

Now that would surprise me but I guess you never know. Look at Craig Davis last year.

No joke, the guy kept comparing him to Joey Galloway.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Thats about the reaction I had Scott.

BaLLiN
04-03-2008, 06:39 AM
First round?!?

Avery looked like a runningback originally to me, pretty big thighs, i think he goes mid second. If he gets to the Eagles it would be a good idea to reunite Kolb and him.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Avery looked like a runningback originally to me, pretty big thighs, i think he goes mid second. If he gets to the Eagles it would be a good idea to reunite Kolb and him.

I would have to disagree with you sir. The Eagles need a WR who can be a #1WR for us, and like DeSean Jackson, I see neither being able to develo into a #1 WR for us. Though I would rather get Avery in the second than Jackson in the first, or maybe even second.

BaLLiN
04-03-2008, 06:47 AM
I would have to disagree with you sir. The Eagles need a WR who can be a #1WR for us, and like DeSean Jackson, I see neither being able to develo into a #1 WR for us. Though I would rather get Avery in the second than Jackson in the first, or maybe even second.

i didnt say he would go to the eagles, i said i think it would be a good idea to reunite them.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I disagreed with the idea to reunite them, becuase that would entail him as our WR, which wouldn't have worked for me.

BaLLiN
04-03-2008, 07:22 AM
watch some of his gamefilm then, he's not a #1 but he's solid

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 07:30 AM
I have, otherwise I owuldn't have said he wasn't a #1.

Iamcanadian
04-03-2008, 07:33 AM

I have him pegged as a solid 2nd rounder but after that workout, he could possibly sneak into round 1.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 07:47 AM
I disagree. There are many people who, when grading out the WRs, only give 2 or 3 first round grades, and I doubt Avery is one of them. They do say, however, that ther will be as many as 4 or 5 WRs taken in the first, though I still doubt Avery is one of those as well.

Iamcanadian
04-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I disagree. There are many people who, when grading out the WRs, only give 2 or 3 first round grades, and I doubt Avery is one of them. They do say, however, that ther will be as many as 4 or 5 WRs taken in the first, though I still doubt Avery is one of those as well.

Avery was coming from a pass happy system which left scouts and GM's wondering about his talent level. WR's always put up good #'s in a system like Houston uses, but when you workout a guy and he blows people away with his times and position drills, then I think you have to consider that he may be a surprise pick on draft day. Those #'s are sensational by any standards and if I was in need of a WR, I'd be going over his game film right now to see how his talent translates on the field.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I still don't think his #s will get him into the first orund though. His game film leads me to beleive he could be a solid slot or #2 WR in a role like Wes Welker, but that is maxing it out.

keylime_5
04-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Avery is a solid late 2nd round pick and this just soliidifies that IMO. I like Avery a lot, but some of the 'little WR" haters probably don't.

ljk2171
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I like Avery a lot, we knew he was quick heading into the workout, so that doesn't do a whole lot for me. But in my opinion, he's as good of a returner as DeSean Jackson, who I do not think is even close to Ted Ginn as a returner and even as a receiver. If a team can get Avery in round 2 or Dexter Jackson in round 3/4, I think that is better value than DeSean inthe first.

lod01
04-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Ok you are crazy but you are right. I would take him over Jackson too.
Add 5 lbs and you have a faster Greg Jennings, maybe?

DeathbyStat
04-03-2008, 11:55 AM
I think Jackson has better hands than Avery