PDA

View Full Version : Eagles trying to move up the draft......

ljk2171
04-03-2008, 05:19 AM
G Cobb (former Eagle), who is pretty well connected with the team is reporting the Eagles are trying to slide to what I would guess the early teens to take Chris Williams or perhaps Jeff Otah.

http://gcobb.com/content/view/1251/1/

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 05:37 AM
The Cardinals at #16 would make the most sense.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Assuming, of course, that all the true offensive tackles worth taking aren't off the board by the time Detroit makes their pick.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 06:25 AM
If the Eagles move up come draft day, it will no doubt be for an OT, because our biggest needs have zero players worth an early teens pick. I hear we are in love with Chris Williams, and personally, he is my favcortie LT porspect in this draft.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 06:25 AM
That last sentence makes it seem like I'm drunk:)

toonsterwu
04-03-2008, 07:13 AM
I think most people have expected this (Eagles moving up, as 19 didn't make much sense). The question becomes how high they have to go. It certainly is possible that 5 OL guys are off before 15. Using Lito as a way to leverage their way up makes sense, letting them keep their 2nd and 3rd rounders to be able to address other positions (S and WR come to mind).

They've been rumored to be interested in early-mid 2nd value for Lito. Looking at the teams ahead, and with that value range in mind, the team that makes a lot of sense in a swap would be the Saints. It would give Sheppard a solid mid-2nd value. The Eagles would be well positioned at 10 to land an offensive tackle. The Saints would get a much better CB bet while still keeping a first rounder that could be positioned for them to pick up, say, Keith Rivers. That said, the Saints have spent a lot of assets on CB's in recent years, so it's quesitonable if they really want to do down this road.

eaglesalltheway
04-03-2008, 07:16 AM
I honestly don't think they will do this, and I can't say I heard of a lot of people expecting it, but if they do, the only one who would be worth it, IMO, is Chris Williams.

A Perfect Score
04-03-2008, 08:22 AM
i think that the eagles and ravens should make a swap...we will give them #8, and they can have their pick of the OT's who are left (namely guys like ryan clady, chris williams, jeff otah, if they are there) and they give us lito shepperd and #19. that way, we can still pick up a solid CB cause tehre is good depth (i expect at least 2 top corners to still be available there) or, god forbid, and i would hate it, we pick brohm there. that makes alot of sense to me, its good for both teams.

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
i think that the eagles and ravens should make a swap...we will give them #8, and they can have their pick of the OT's who are left (namely guys like ryan clady, chris williams, jeff otah, if they are there) and they give us lito shepperd and #19. that way, we can still pick up a solid CB cause tehre is good depth (i expect at least 2 top corners to still be available there) or, god forbid, and i would hate it, we pick brohm there. that makes alot of sense to me, its good for both teams.

Not bad in theory but I don't know if the Ravens want to shell out the kind of dough Lito wants on his extension (DeAngelo Hall dollars?).

Also, the point difference between #8 and #19 is 525 and I don't know if Sheppard's trade value is the equivalent of a very high 2nd round pick...

toonsterwu
04-03-2008, 08:34 AM

It is a possibility, but the reason why I would have doubts on it has to do with this. Philly is going to want to trade Lito before the draft. Doing an in-draft trade with a veteran player involved of Lito's stature is almost unheard of. I don't think Ozzie is going to deal back before the draft, at least, not deal back that far. I expect him to watch the Matt Ryan situation real carefully, and after that, to take a peek at the OL and CB's there.

Geo
04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the perfect scenario is a trade with the Buffalo Bills, the ideal trade partner?

- Bills have the 11th overall pick, before Denver, Carolina, Chicago, and Detroit. At least two if not three of Jeff Otah/ Chris Williams/ Brandon Albert/ Ryan Clady will be available there.
- The Eagles and Bills front offices have made a recent trade (Takeo Spikes), there's been successful communication.
- As much as the Eagles might want to move up, Bills want to trade down moreso where they can grab the #1 receiver or another corner, maybe DE if they really like Groves I suppose.
- Certainly the Bills could use a talent the likes of Lito Sheppard to help bolster their secondary.
- Outdated draft value chart-wise, it puts Lito between the 52nd and 53rd overall pick, and I'd actually rate Lito higher than that but the Eagles might be making the best of the situation.

Edit: forgot one,

- The Eagles would be sending Lito to the AFC as opposed to a team in the conference.

Scott Wright
04-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the perfect scenario is a trade with the Buffalo Bills, the ideal trade partner?

- Bills have the 11th overall pick, before Denver, Carolina, Chicago, and Detroit. At least two if not three of Jeff Otah/ Chris Williams/ Brandon Albert/ Ryan Clady will be available there.
- The Eagles and Bills front offices have made a recent trade (Takeo Spikes), there's been successful communication.
- As much as the Eagles might want to move up, Bills want to trade down moreso where they can grab the #1 receiver or another corner, maybe DE if they really like Groves I suppose.
- Certainly the Bills could use a talent the likes of Lito Sheppard to help bolster their secondary.
- Outdated draft value chart-wise, it puts Lito between the 52nd and 53rd overall pick, and I'd actually rate Lito higher than that but the Eagles might be making the best of the situation.

Makes even more sense than the Baltimore scenario. Once again money-wise though are the Bills willing to give Lito a $50 million contract?

MetSox17
04-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Not bad in theory but I don't know if the Ravens want to shell out the kind of dough Lito wants on his extension (DeAngelo Hall dollars?).

Also, the point difference between #8 and #19 is 525 and I don't know if Sheppard's trade value is the equivalent of a very high 2nd round pick...

Well according to an article that i had posted in the Dallas Cowboys Forum,
the journalist was stating that something similar to the deal the falcons got
for MeAngelo Hall would be the minimum they would take for Sheppard.
It also said that they had already asked a few teams for a first
round pick..

Geo
04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Makes even more sense than the Baltimore scenario. Once again money-wise though are the Bills willing to give Lito a $50 million contract?
Well, I like Lito a great deal, but he's currently signed through 2011 at a pretty good price. He's not calling any shots.

That said, I could see the Bills offering more money. He should take it, because it wouldn't make sense not too, otherwise he'll be back to where he was getting what he is currently signed to make. Nate Clements/Asante Samuel/Deangelo Hall money? Doubtful, thanks partly to Sheppard's durability (or lack thereof).

If he wanted to get paid like a free agent, then he should have risked waiting until he became a free agent. I can't say I have too much sympathy for a guy who takes the extension and also wants to get paid like a FA later, as much as I like Sheppard as a player. Maybe he was told by the Eagles they would pay him more a few years down the line, but still.

keylime_5
04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
If you think about it Buffalo makes too much sense b/c they will probably have their pick of Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, and maybe even Ryan Clady still on the board at #11, and if Buffalo trades down to 19 then the top WR will probably still be available so they could draft Malcolm Kelly and get more picks out of it. Makes almost too much sense. But if Philly stays at 19 I could see them taking probaby Branden Albert if he's there.

BufFan71
04-03-2008, 09:39 AM
edit: never mind

diabsoule
04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
I think most people have expected this (Eagles moving up, as 19 didn't make much sense). The question becomes how high they have to go. It certainly is possible that 5 OL guys are off before 15. Using Lito as a way to leverage their way up makes sense, letting them keep their 2nd and 3rd rounders to be able to address other positions (S and WR come to mind).

They've been rumored to be interested in early-mid 2nd value for Lito. Looking at the teams ahead, and with that value range in mind, the team that makes a lot of sense in a swap would be the Saints. It would give Sheppard a solid mid-2nd value. The Eagles would be well positioned at 10 to land an offensive tackle. The Saints would get a much better CB bet while still keeping a first rounder that could be positioned for them to pick up, say, Keith Rivers. That said, the Saints have spent a lot of assets on CB's in recent years, so it's quesitonable if they really want to do down this road.

I was going to say this exact same thing. I think a trade with the Saints would make sense but I don't see the Saints being interested in giving Lito Sheppard that much money and nor do I see them being interested in trading for a CB that is guaranteed to miss five games out of the season.

I think Geo hit it on the head. I think a trade with the Bills makes sense and they use another players as leverage other than Lito.

proshoota25
04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
i think the swap would make sense for the patriots and eagles
1. pats dont feel like paying #7 money to a rookie, and can target another corner they like at the eagles spot, such as jenkins, talib, or even cason or take a LB, which would obviously be a reach at that point. taking another corner would greatly improve their secondary immediately, and would now have talent at that position, with sheppard and hobbs starting, and the rookie developing behind and possibly seeing good time as the season progresses
2. eagles would be in very good position to grab williams, this will be the hot spot of the draft and people may very well try to get in this slot to take the OT of their choice, which could be williams
3. lito sheppard signed through 2011 is reasonable money and perfect for the patriots. he would fit in their scheme amazingly.
4. i wouldnt be surprised if that patriots sweetened the pot, such as also giving a fifth/sixth rounder in order to get a quality cb, and so they would not have to pay top 10 money

bearsfan_51
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Don't do it Eagles. Stay where you are.

essential
04-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Buffalo does make the most sense, they should have their pick of any O-Lineman except Jake Long.

As a Bills fan, I am pretty sure the Bills would trade with the Eagles in a second to move down to #19, however I think the trade would be for picks, not a player. We signed Will James, and I am sure the Bills are targeting a young CB in this draft. I just can't see them paying Lito more money, and they don't want the headache that would come from acquiring Lito. Remember what happened last year with Darwin Walker?

I think if the Eagles want to trade with the Bills, they will have to trade Lito to a different team for a second, then trade Buffalo their first and their second or the second acquired for Lito, for the #11 overall.

Also, isn't Lito more a man coverage guy? We play some man, but we are mostly a cover-2 team. I think the Bills would want a pick, not a player.

Leon Sandcastle
04-03-2008, 07:40 PM
The Bills scenario would make a lot of sense as they'd still probably have their pick of any of the WR's and the Eagles would have a good chance of improving their OL at 11.

But I'd agree with essential if it were to happen it'd be for picks not for Lito Sheppard.

PACKmanN
04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Lito and the Eagles first round pick for the Saints first round pick, how is that on the value chart?

toonsterwu
04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
It's basically a difference of a mid-2nd.

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Seems to me the best plan of action is to talk to a few different teams(Ravens, Bills, Saints) and wait to make a move on draft day, what good would it be to trade up with the Bills for instance and then Chris Williams is gone before then or someone moves up to #10 to take him, then Philly is screwed...If they desire him they have to wait until draft day to see where the chips fall and make sure he is available.

Seems risky business making this move too early and teams getting a bead on what you want to do, if someone else wants Williams they will already know they just need to get in front of Philly.

toonsterwu
04-03-2008, 08:57 PM
That certainly would be the preferential course as its safer, but it's likely much harder, at least, based on history, to make a trade with a veteran player, unless a framework was in place.

truebillsfan
04-03-2008, 09:22 PM
i think they should swap firsts with buffalo and we get sheppard. pretty fair trade imo, id even give up a mid round pick to ensure it got done. dont be shocked if this trade went down. it would benefit us to trade down and i hope it happens.

SaintsMan
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't think he is worth a high 2nd rounder.

truebillsfan
04-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't think he is worth a high 2nd rounder.

i do. this guy has been a 2-time pro bowler, only 27 years old. injury problems could be a concern, but imo i think hes less of a injury risk than stroud